Entwined - A Chapter A Day Discussion (contains spoilers)

I love the relationship that is slowing building between Angus and Eva. Was so pleased he was at the wedding. When he expressed his happiness for them, was very touching.

I think Angus will be Eva's bodyguard from now on as Gideon can trust him and Raul will be Gideon's and that Angus will go with them to SD, ANGUS YOU ROCK!!!!!!!! :)

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By being best man, Angus definitely has become family.

He has been there for Gideon, through so much, it was very appropriate that he was best man. The only "family" to represent them both that had no qualms about them getting married. He knew it was right

Kudos to Gideon for providing full-disclosure when pressed. He knew that his sexual past did bug Eva enough to bring up the subject -- so he decided (wisely) to get it over with.

He was rewarded with the fact Eva did not freak out nor pick a fight -- she didn't go all Old-Eva-Insecure-and-Jealous on him. "You're different," he recognized (page 22). Duh, ya think. What he'd done to Eva ended up making her stronger, not breaking her in two.

I did want to give Gideon a proverbial smack off the side of his head for his reaction to Eva at first accusing him of having lied to her in the past about his sexual history (page 20). He thought that just because every word he did say technically had been true, that he'd never lied to Eva. Malarkey. His truths were only half-truths - he kept things from her. He even deliberately mislead Eva. That's lying by omission -- lying by not being 100% honest. 

Ultimately, he'd figured out (later in the novel) that saying one thing while deliberately doing another thing constitutes very serious dishonesty. It was a lesson he'd learn the hard way.

He earned a second proverbial smack off the side of the head for calling Eva "catty" when snarked about the "Dumped by Gideon Sisterhood". Um, hello, just because he'd already made mad, passionate love to Eva, she no longer was entitled to be angry?

Not after all the agony he put Eva through -- including only two evenings earlier, he'd been caught red-handed (literally) touching Corrine in a tender way, hand at the small of her back, walking Corrine out of the Crossfire lobby, the place where Eva had first met him. That Eva had to see with her own eyes (not just some online photos) Gideon touching Corrine?

H.e.l.l. yes she'd been angry that Monday evening, and showed it by giving him the middle finger. Eva was even more entitled to be angry by the fact Gideon mistreated her (Eva) by deliberately being a cold S. of a B. to her weeks earlier. 

I think he got it, though, when Eva responded to being called "catty" there in bed with him by pointing out "I wasn't trying to be a total b***. Just a little one. I think I'm entitled, all things considered." (page 21)

Most definitely -- especially because Eva is getting that anger out of her system -- doing it by feeling it. To respond by simply "letting everything go" or by denying her right to be angry would only drive the anger underground, where it would eat at her and eat away at the new foundation she and Gideon are trying to build.

It rubbed me the wrong way too when Eva called Gideon on his lie.  I wanted to yell at Gideon and tell him you can be a real a-hole sometimes.  I’m still up in the air but I don’t think Gideon has come clean with his thought processes when he broke it off with Eva.  I understand that he wanted to protect her but I wanted them to talk this through a little more.

Did he learn this lesson yet about saying one thing and doing another?  I'm not sure.  I thought her repeated his behavior later in the novel.

I literally yelled out loud when I read Gideon call Eva catty.  I didn’t think Eva was being catty at all.  I think she was honest about her feelings and relating what Deanna said.  I wanted Gideon to look at the situation from her perspective and I don’t think he did. 

I am proud of Eva for acknowledging her feelings.  I think the fact that she is openly talking about them is good for her because they won’t fester inside and make her doubt herself.  I also think it will help Gideon in the long run because he will communicate more.

It ticked me off (in a good way, meaning the story provoked emotion) that Gideon thought the hotel encounters didn't count as getting laid if he didn't .... um .... stick his d*** in a chick. Technically, he wasn't having sex if he was just getting some woman off with toys?

This from a guy who freaked out over a French kiss between Eva and Brett. That kiss most definitely counted as intimate contact in Gideon's book (as well it should have -- passionate kissing is a sexual behavior). Also, every one of those one-sided encounters Eva engaged in back in her bad old days -- giving guys blow jobs -- does count too.

So newsflash, Mr. Cross -- every one of those women you took to the hotel room do count as notches on your belt, whether or not you engaged in intercourse with them. You engaged in sexual activities, and so every one of those women counts in your own history.

Hear! Hear!

Kristen,

Clinton was exactly who I thought of when I read Gideon's rationale. "I did not have sex with this woman" or also" I did not inhale." He was charming enough to be forgiven for it, by most of the democrats, so I'm sure Eva will let it go, too. We all love a rake.

Yep, President Bill Clinton became infamous for his stupid rationalizations.

As a young man, he was offered a marijuana joint -- supposedly, he went through the motions but "didn't inhale" -- so technically he never did drugs. HAH!!! Puh-leeze. Not that trying marijuana is anything to be ashamed of.

But there was the more infamous insisting, "I did not have sexual relations with that woman" that turned out to be a big, fat lie -- one that nearly cost him the Presidency. He got blow jobs from that intern -- and he found out the hard way that almost everyone DOES count oral sex as "sexual relations" instead of his own narrow definition of genital intercourse.

Our fantasy hero, Gideon, has got the same skewered view "I did not have sexual relations" with the women he put his talented fingers in, tongue on/in, used sex toys on .... whatever. 

I wonder whether Gideon did count blow jobs, though -- given that his definition that if he did use is d*** on a woman, then it was getting laid.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

As a young man, he was offered a marijuana joint -- supposedly, he went through the motions but "didn't inhale" -- so technically he never did drugs. HAH!!! Puh-leeze. Not that trying marijuana is anything to be ashamed of.

But there was the more infamous insisting, "I did not have sexual relations with that woman" that turned out to be a big, fat lie -- one that nearly cost him the Presidency. He got blow jobs from that intern -- and he found out the hard way that almost everyone DOES count oral sex as "sexual relations" instead of his own narrow definition of genital intercourse.

Our fantasy hero, Gideon, has got the same skewered view "I did not have sexual relations" with the women he put his talented fingers in, tongue on/in, used sex toys on .... whatever. 

I wonder whether Gideon did count blow jobs, though -- given that his definition that if he did use is d*** on a woman, then it was getting laid.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

You have such a way with words!! Lol

Quit making me blush. Blush anymore than I already do by writing " .... talented fingers in, tongue in/on ..." ;)

Despite some degree of worldliness, I still do blush terribly, something that's quite a source of amusement for people close to me, especially guys. In trusted company, I will sometimes say risque stuff -- but I can't ever pull it off without blushing.

Quit making me blush. Blush anymore than I already do by writing " .... talented fingers in, tongue in/on ..." ;)

Despite some degree of worldliness, I still do blush terribly, something that's quite a source of amusement for people close to me, especially guys. In trusted company, I will sometimes say risque stuff -- but I can't ever pull it off without blushing.

Just slap on more foundation. Hides the blushing!

Goes to show your a lady. :)

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Wait, see, I was confused by this. So all these women he took back to the hotel, the majority of them, he didn't actually sleep w/. So, he just serviced them? No, they serivced him? I didn't get it. But he did sleep w/ Deanna. So, when exactly was he 'not finished yet' when he answered the call as she told Eva? I don't get that whole thing. Sorry for allthe typos on this page and the others. Got my son climbing my legs and sliding down right now lol

Wait, see, I was confused by this. So all these women he took back to the hotel, the majority of them, he didn't actually sleep w/. So, he just serviced them? No, they serivced him? I didn't get it. But he did sleep w/ Deanna. So, when exactly was he 'not finished yet' when he answered the call as she told Eva? I don't get that whole thing. Sorry for allthe typos on this page and the others. Got my son climbing my legs and sliding down right now lol

I had the impression that he just wanted company for the most part and serviced the women.  He would engage in the actual act occasionally (Deanna) but it didn't really mean anything to him.  In the middle of doing business he took a phone call and just dismissed Deanna and made her feel cheap.   My guess is that was a common occurrence.  I'm thinking he used the toys and maybe his finger to avoid emotions on his part. Therefore, he regular morning shower included masturbation. 

How I interpreted what Gideon said to Eva in Chapter 2 was this:

• To deal with his loneliness and the need to "get out of his own head" so to speak, he'd use women as a diversion.
  • I think that in the hotel room itself, he focused all the attention on whatever woman was there as a way to shift the attention away from himself.
  • Pleasuring them was a way to maintain constant control over the situation itself. It kept them "at his mercy" so to speak.
  • Toys were a pretty surefire way to keep them at his mercy -- most of these women probably had B.O.B. at home, and so a threesome with a B.O.B. and Gideon was a surefire way to make them come.
  • His definition of full-blown sex involved using his d***. But this also involved in his mind -- I think -- actual intimacy, something he very much tried to avoid.
  • Perhaps he was still regretting his one failed attempt at true intimacy -- Corrine -- and so was determined to avoid any emotional entanglement ever again.
  • I think that every so often he got so h**** in the heat of the moment that he did end up "going all the way." But those poor women ended up worse off than the women he simply toyed with (bad pun intended). Because if he did stick his d*** into them, he'd immediately go on a head trip. Look at how shut down and cold he turned on Eva when he went on that first-sex headtrip.
  • Perhaps Magdalene really had it literally right when she said once Gideon stuck his d*** in a woman, he was done. At best, he probably maintained short-term fooling-around-with relationships with the women he'd take to the hotel, but any woman who he actually had intercourse with (like Deanna) got asked to leave immediately and then never got contacted again.

It ticked me off (in a good way, meaning the story provoked emotion) that Gideon thought the hotel encounters didn't count as getting laid if he didn't .... um .... stick his d*** in a chick. Technically, he wasn't having sex if he was just getting some woman off with toys?

This from a guy who freaked out over a French kiss between Eva and Brett. That kiss most definitely counted as intimate contact in Gideon's book (as well it should have -- passionate kissing is a sexual behavior). Also, every one of those one-sided encounters Eva engaged in back in her bad old days -- giving guys blow jobs -- does count too.

So newsflash, Mr. Cross -- every one of those women you took to the hotel room do count as notches on your belt, whether or not you engaged in intercourse with them. You engaged in sexual activities, and so every one of those women counts in your own history.

I did really enjoy his explanation of that though LOL!!!

If Gideon took women to his hotel on average twice per week, did something sexual with every single one of them, and (this is safe to say) acted like total a******* toward them immediately afterward, well that's a whole lot of potentially vengeful women running around New York.

Absolutely; no wonder he is obsessed with keeping Eva safe there are probably a lot of vengeful brunette stackers out there!!

Absolutely; no wonder he is obsessed with keeping Eva safe there are probably a lot of vengeful brunette stackers out there!!

Is it only brunettes she needs to be scared of -- that's my real question (which has yet to be answered). Was Gideon's brunette fixation full-blown major fetish? Or, when it came to the hotel room, any "pre-approved orifice" would do, regardless of hair color.

Does Eva need to watch her back with blonde and redheads too? (In addition to, of course, Anne Lucas, who is in a class by herself, a revenge f*** turning the tables, determined to break Gideon).

I agree, I enjoyed how you saw immediately a stronger Eva, taking control not taking any Bull from Gideon, I also like the fact that she did not freak out when he mentioned having the appartment next door, I did wonder if she would as like an invasion of her privacy and with the scrutiny that her mother gave her I wondered if she would feel trapped by Gideon in this way but she didn't she handled it well and she was very secure about it.

I felt that Gideon was nervous telling her and she made light of it as her way of dealing with that information and secretly she liked having the hot neighbour.  I also loved how Eva was being devious when Gideon wanted to talk and showing off her best assets when talking about Corrine :)

I think this is a good step forward for these two

I think the apartment next door is romantic and I think deep down Eva does too especially seeing that it is decorated with both of their furniture I thought this was really romantic on Gideon's part and sending her a strong message!!

Is it only brunettes she needs to be scared of -- that's my real question (which has yet to be answered). Was Gideon's brunette fixation full-blown major fetish? Or, when it came to the hotel room, any "pre-approved orifice" would do, regardless of hair color.

Does Eva need to watch her back with blonde and redheads too? (In addition to, of course, Anne Lucas, who is in a class by herself, a revenge f*** turning the tables, determined to break Gideon).

Anne Lucas has her own agenda. A woman scorned and brother committing suicide because he would have been outed as a rapist. Nice family!

I think the apartment next door is romantic and I think deep down Eva does too especially seeing that it is decorated with both of their furniture I thought this was really romantic on Gideon's part and sending her a strong message!!

Yeah. I loved it when Gideon says, see you at home. So warming

Do you think Gideon's initial thoughts about Eva were just to use toys/fingers/whatevers on her? When did using her as a one time thing turn into wanting more? Don't you think it happened before the s*x in the limo?

As soon as she did her first runner at the f * ckpad. He fell in love with her as soon as he saw her. In the limo it became more. That's why he went on his head trip. He had never experienced that sort of sex before. The rest is history!