* * One with You -- SPOILER THREAD * *

admin

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey all...haven't been on in a while. I think I'm still upset about this series being over, and how it ended. Am I the only one?  Every time I read a book I didn't like, I go back and re-read The Crossfire Series....at least the first two books.. I re read them because they are so good! I feel like I'm being a baby, but I just don't understand how people loved book 5! I know that people were happy they were together, married. Some just read for the sexy times... I'm not an author, but I think there was so much the fans were hoping for in this last book that they didn't get. We had too much time to think about it!Even had a thread going on what we'd want to see....not much of that happened...

-The big wedding w/ Victor walking her down the aisle..why all the build up...then nothing?

-Christopher/His mom resolution

-Corrine/Deana/Anne(well, kind of on Anne, we now know she was behind Corrine)

-Monica's backstory- again, we kind of got answers---but not really...just more questions..more drama..more heartache ....And so much more! Landcorp, Cary etc.

-Eva's job/ Crossroads....

-Does Cary ever find out that it was Nathan who beat him? How do they not tell him? I can see Victor and him living together, just not Victor working security for Gideon and Eva...that's just odd...Why not work security at one of Gideon's many establishments? Or apply for the NYPD? Idk.

The whole Anne being a doctor w/ another name is just ridiculous...how was that happening? Did she set up an office for just two of her patients? The photographer and Corrine? She knew about Gideon and that her brother treated him the whole time... Reading Gideon's thoughts on when they were  together was just -yuck...I want to un-read that! Lol...Aww and when he says he yelled at Angus for telling him he should stop..Poor Angus.

How were these people getting through reception when you have to be buzzed up from the lobby? Does his mom have automatic entry like Eva? But Corrine too? and Chris jr.

Why did book 5 rehash all of 1-4? I'm assuming if you're reading book 5 of a series, you've read the first 4?

I read one bloggers 5 star review on her website, and a bunch of comments were about disappointment and wanting to find out what happened w/ other characters and and wanting a better epilogue...the blogger kept responding "maybe we'll get a novella!"....I don't want a novella, I want answers in the book they are in! Why have so much detail and background characters and not tie those ends up? I know she's said that the time frame is short, I get it...but really?

I just feel like, when I finished the book, I was looking for more.

Ok....sorry if this is rude of me. I'm going to stop now...:(

I must agree with you.  There was a lot of money and time spent on these books to not have at least a few more story lines wrapped up.  I would have been happy not to have any more of the Monica story.  But the story that we did get seemed to be scrambled and not thought out.  I mean who married who and who killed who - her parents did what  - what happened to he real Monica - what the heck!   

The Anne Lucas story  - come on now!  Why create a new name and all that stuff.  If she was practicing under another name you would have thought that Angus or Raul would have found that out.  Angus was a British agent - what the heck!

I don't mean to bash Sylvia Day's writing style because obviously I don't have her talent.   We all thought of a lot of different endings but none of us saw this coming.  I figured that there would be some form of violence and someone would be killed off.  But for God's sake - your mother is gunned down and all you do is leave a voice mail for your step father. 

I could go on but it's pointless.  We know that there will be other books with snippets of  these characters and maybe she planned to give some answers then. 

I really miss Gideon and Eva and am still having a hard time that it was the end of the series, I understand it was a short period of time for them June to September, however, I would have loved to read that Victor walked Eva down the aisle, also I would like to know if  Corinne went back to Mr. Giroux, along with other endings to the side characters. I know Sylvia has said in her interviews that all of her characters appear in other novels and that Ireland will have her own series, if the Blacklist series isn't coming out until sometime in 2017 I know that means that Ireland's won't be out during that year and I believe only So Close is coming out in 2017 so when will the second one come out. I guess what I'm saying is that it will be a few years before we get Ireland's. The wait is what makes me crazy because I'm an impatient person when I read a series. I hope everybody that still checks this fan site is doing well.

I agree with everyone on the site lol.

I miss Gideva more everyday and I'm really disappointed that OWY was not all that we wanted it to be. That being said very few are chatting bout it and that makes everything worse. At this time with the other books there would at least be 50 pages of book chat. I'm sure a writer writes because they have a story to tell  and if they are lucky they write a career changing series such as Crossfire. I just dont understand what the hurry was to end this series. It could have gone at least 3 more books and would obviously have been a lucrative project. Gideva are just an interesting couple and obviously alot of people like reading about them. They were very complex characters and their married life and the lives of those connected to them would have  been an  interesting read.     

I do have a question I would like everyone to weigh in on if you will... At the beachhouse when Victor's family was present Eva mused that Monica had never been a part of that scene because Victor's family scorned her  because she broke Victor's heart. This lead me to believe that Monica had met Victor's family at some  point and perhaps was considering a life with him. So what made her change her mind? Perhaps the answers are in the journals she left Eva but as a reader I really would have rather had that story instead of the convoluted story of Jackson Tramell. Your thoughts?

2 hours ago, sscrph said:

I agree with everyone on the site lol.

I miss Gideva more everyday and I'm really disappointed that OWY was not all that we wanted it to be. That being said very few are chatting bout it and that makes everything worse. At this time with the other books there would at least be 50 pages of book chat. I'm sure a writer writes because they have a story to tell  and if they are lucky they write a career changing series such as Crossfire. I just dont understand what the hurry was to end this series. It could have gone at least 3 more books and would obviously have been a lucrative project. Gideva are just an interesting couple and obviously alot of people like reading about them. They were very complex characters and their married life and the lives of those connected to them would have  been an  interesting read.     

I do have a question I would like everyone to weigh in on if you will... At the beachhouse when Victor's family was present Eva mused that Monica had never been a part of that scene because Victor's family scorned her  because she broke Victor's heart. This lead me to believe that Monica had met Victor's family at some  point and perhaps was considering a life with him. So what made her change her mind? Perhaps the answers are in the journals she left Eva but as a reader I really would have rather had that story instead of the convoluted story of Jackson Tramell. Your thoughts?

Any story about Monica's past would have been better than the one we got. That said I too miss Gideva, their story could gone on for many more books. I think Sylvia was tired of writing their story and wanted to move on to something else.  I loved the Crossfire series and am sad not to have something to look forward to.

still upset with Gideon for his Cinco de Mayo mishap with those two women. Lost a little respect for him then.  Miss you guys. Laters

"Nathalia said - I just feel like, when I finished the book, I was looking for more."

After having time to let the ending register, and still being aware I need to do another re-read (after I've finished the next two series I have promised myself I will read) I do agree with that statement.

I think I was happy with how the Gideon and Eva storyline ended (with them together and him being on the road to as much healing as I think he would achieve.  I wasn't all that bothered about whether or not the baby was Cary's but it would be nice to know if he does end up with Trey - the fact he was intending to share with Victor might be an indication he doesn't but I could be wrong. 

I accepted that Gideon had it out with his mother and resigned himself to her still not accepting what happened to him.  I also remember in Bared to You at the garden party there was something hinted at his mother's interest in young men (he reminded her Cary was a friend of his?????).

I don't care if Corinne goes back to Giroux or remains on her own, her future doesn't matter so long as she no longer interferes with Gideon and Eva, and the book does not appear.

Anne Lucas - well it would be good to know she got her just desserts, especially as she entered into an affair with Gideon knowing what her brother had done to him as a child - that woman has definitely got a screw loose in her head.  We know Gideon went with her to get back at her husband as well as Hugh, we know he was 'more depraved' with her (than with others - and if so how mildly depraved had his previous sex life been?) but how much did she bring in to that need to act in a depraved manner?  There are slight hints about bondage in some of his comments (I don't think he's hinting at bdsm) and I believe from something he says in One With You spanking may well be on the agenda (because all these alpha billionaires seem to HAVE to be into something slightly deviant).

We knew there was a possibility of something in Monica's background and we got the information about that, but such a pity she had to be killed off. 

Christopher did seem to be making inroads into establishing a relationship with Gideon, Eva may still have to work at that as the chapter about them being at Stanton and Monica's place was to show how Gideon finds it difficult to be part of a family environment (and Dr Peterson also spoke to him about that).  As we know Eva is determined to resolve as much as she can, she's bound to bring them together.

Eva must surely be going to do the Crossroads foundation work as she planned - no point in resigning from her job if she wasn't going to do that.

Lancorp - that storyline came in quickly, gave Eva a reason to challenge Gideon one last time, finally getting him to break and open up.  When there was more in One With You it seemed as if we might get an interesting bit when the two women spoke at the restaurant but then nothing other than Gideon realising he was not paying sufficient attention to business and Lancorp challenges since meeting Eva.  Maybe that was all that was intended to come out of that sideline, as there was nothing that could be resolved regarding Geoffrey Cross (with Gideon admitting he was a criminal even though young child Gideon believed his dad was good and not a liar) the Lancorp rivalry would continue.

The part about Anne and her other persona - we certainly didn't get enough detail about that, presumably she wasn't anything to do with Gideon's mother - wonder if she deliberately went after Gideon?  Using her alter ego she was treating Corinne - did she think Gideon might have told Corinne about his past and who was involved in it?  Did she deliberately find Corinne to get her to be a patient?  Could that be why she used a different name in case Corinne knew about Hugh?

I like Lighthouse' points about Gideon and how he could cope with sexual (not penetrative) activity whilst clothed, and not at the hotel - as she pointed out his first activity with Eva was in her apartment and although he did not 'take part' he had no problem ensuring she was looked after.  The only thing about it being because he was able to perform in the limousine with clothes on is that he was obviously totally astounded that he had been able to perform the full act in a place that was not the f-pad and began to drift into himself and away from Eva getting his head round what had just happened.  Although that could just have been because at first she took control and he obviously had no problem 'getting it up' whereas in his previous escapades (such as that dreadful photo) maybe he never did 'get it up'.

I pop on Amazon and Good Reads once a week to check reviews, mainly focussing on the longer reviews as they go into more detail - sometimes there's some good points people bring out from the book that I may have missed or misinterpreted.  One reviewer said the bracelet Gideon gave Eva was 'creepy' - obviously never heard of the Cartier love bracelet which is the bracelet equivalent of an eternity ring and is very popular.  Eva knew the significance of it and it certainly got Gideon what he wanted!!!! 

Still lots of people moaning about the delay, the 5 books instead of 3 blah blah.  But there are a few who say they had held back reading it because either they'd read reviews and thought the book would not be great, or because of the 5 books instead of 3, yet they found when they did decide to read that they really enjoyed it.

• 2 weeks later...

Not really related to this topic but as this is the main thread - delays in publishing books:

Sylvia Day was given so much 'hate' (is that the right word) for the delay in publishing some of the Crossfire series, and I believe most of the delays were out of her hands.  One author I follow who publishes many more books than Sylvia, and releases each book as a series and then as a set, always has a problem that delays the publication of her books.  Mostly just by one or two days but over the last few months I've noted that each instalment has an announced release date which always changes.  And every reason is absolutely genuine (she's an independent author, illness, family problems, Amazon problems) and I have no complaint that her books are delayed as they are worth waiting for.  And not one of her readers complains, they always understand.

And that is not the only author of the very few that I eagerly await their next book, who has delays.

I just don't get why people got so wound up over the delays in the publication of Crossfire books.  I know we were all extremely keen to read the rest of Gideon and Eva's story and I think as a whole we were happy to wait for the final book to be perfected before publication. I do know that on Good Reads there was one 'thread' about Captivated By You where the people subscribed could be pretty rude, but convincing themselves they were just being honest and were loyal fans - but when it came to One With You being published I knew before they even read the book they were going to give it bad write-ups mainly because of the delay (as well as the trilogy into five book problem).  I struggle to understand why, for this particular author, there was so much 'hate'.  It cannot have been easy for Sylvia to know that every day on her Facebook page there'd be the whining contingent who seem to think there is a law that there should only be a matter of weeks between books being published and comparing other author's output (yes E L James did put all three books out pretty close together but she did only write those three books, and I don't think she had - at that time - as much involvement in the book world as Sylvia Day does).  Unfair comparison by those 'loyal fans' perhaps?

Hello ladies :) 

Now since it's been a while , I understand a lot more. I know a lot of the storylines could not be finished  in a 4 month period of time. That would not be realistic, which is the whole point . But there could have been just a couple lines added about certain things and I feel we would have been satisfied. Like with Corrine , she just disappeared. Instead of hearing about her hurt feelings it could have been added that she couldn't release the book now because if would have been a joke .

I still can't get my head around the whole picture thing . I still think he was portrayed differently for 4 books. In BWY why was he so shocked about getting carried away with Eva in his office and her home. The limo I understand because of his reaction and his attitude after. Which was explained.  I think if Gideon would have offered more info about that night and his thoughts it might not be so confusing. I think it's just one of those things I have to accept and move on .  I do miss them terribly though !! 

Have a good night ladies :) 

Perhaps the shock at what he was doing in his office was purely because it was in the office which is not somewhere one would normally do anything sexual? 

I don't think he was shocked at Eva's home when that first physical encounter happened as (now we have the picture scenario) it looks as if he did do certain things with women in places other than the Fpad.   In the limo it was a full sexual encounter and his reaction reflected that he had actually been able to have full sex in a place other than the fpad.  (??? open to other ideas on that conclusion).

Eva does confirm that Gideon knew how to f**k a woman yet he seems to have limited experience at actual f****ing, more experience of ensuring the women had a good time by using mouth, hands and toys.  Plus those women seemed to have to be tall, willowy brunettes (like his mom)  Eva is the opposite of that and perhaps being so different helped him overcome what was a problem for him of a woman with specific looks, and a need to be in a specific place to actually be able to perform.

I also wondered how big a surprise it was to him to see Eva and fall for her - he already knew Monica even if at a distance and Monica looked like Eva. I'm not sure of my point here, had something about Monica put something in his head that, when he saw Eva made him take notice of her?

I'd love to read some of the early Crossfire scenes in Gideon's POV - the night he dealt with Nathan for one. 

I really do need now to re-read all the books having read other forum members thoughts on the books, and reviewers comments.  I've a small tbr list to get through first and think it wise to leave a gap before re-reading with a fresh mind and perhaps on this re-read might see some more clues to Gideon's character in particular.  I had read comments in the past (before the last two books were published) from readers who felt Gideon was really messed up (more than Christian in Fifty) and at that time all I really saw was he'd been abused, was disassociated from his mum and family, had no idea how to have a good relationship with a woman he was having a sexual relationship with.  Hints of tieing her up, smacking her bottom, the sex swing, slight discussions on domination all pointed to his possibly not being vanilla, and then we read from his POV how he treated Ann and I did worry that we might find out he was into bdsm which I really didn't want to be the case (that was the part of 50 shades that I was not keen on).  One Amazon reviewer felt the author had chickened out of taking him down the bdsm road, but maybe that was never meant to be - some straightforward sexual relationships do include smacking, the tieing her up could just have been metaphorically speaking.  The way he treated Ann was because she was so like Hugh and because she was married to Terry, both of whom he needed to get back at.  I also suspect Ann actually liked the treatment she got, if she hadn't she'd not have been as keen on getting him back into her life as she seemed to be.  The way she greeted him in Captivated gave me the impression she'd still take him back.

Another thing about that encounter in the limo is that Angus was driving.  I think anyone, particularly someone as self-possessed as Gideon Cross, would be freaked out that they were so bowled over by a woman that they were unable to resist her despite the presence of their father figure just a few scant feet away.