Suddenly You by Lisa Kleypas

Okay, so I didn't love it. I didn't hate it either. I just plain didn't like it.

Lisa K is one of those authors whom everyone raves about and quickly recommends whenever someone asks for a good historical romance. Initially, I am always leery of raved-about authors(Mary Balogh, anyone?) because they rarely live up to my own expectations--and the fact that I like being difficult and different. So far, I've only "read" two Lisa Kleypas books: Again the Magic, and the aforementioned book.

With ATM(atm, :D ), I found it to be the height of melodrama. I usually don't like revenge tales because they are so predictable(guy/girl hates guy/girl, plots their revenge, finds out that guy/girl isn't whom they thought, guy/girl falls for guy/girl. The End. Boooring.), but since my former reading group read it, when it came in the mail, I decided to push aside my reservations and read it.

My final conclusion: Pass

Okay, so that's only one book. Maybe her others might suit me better. And in comes Suddenly You. The original copy was a library copy that I'd picked up at the last minute because I liked the cover, and it promised that it was "the most sensual romance of the year". Erm, okay, I'll take it.

Ha!!!

I wasn't titillated at all. After the initial seduction scene(the first two chapters), I was yawning, and I put it down as soon as the heroine, Amanda, found out that the hero, Jack, whom had masqueraded as her call-boy was her new boss.

I'm twiddling my thumbs, writing and surfing the internet, when today, my CP sends me a copy of SY.

So, I own a copy now, and I dislike having books that I don't read, so I picked up where I left off.

Ho Hum. Boohoo Jack, he had such a horrible childhood and he doesn't care about anything but making money. Gag me.

First off, what really bugged me was the pseudo-matchmaking of the madam that sent Jack to Amanda's doorstep, as well as one of Jack's associates telling Amanda about Jack's "tortured" past. I hate when other characters butt in and explain to the other character what makes their soon-to-be love interest tick, as well as telling them that they need love, and that the other person is the one to show them the way.

Ugh. I hate confessions. I like for actions to speak louder than words, instead of a characters backstory coming out in one conversation. That ruined the book for me because whenever Jack began to share or expose a bit of his backstory himself, I had to skim it because "yawn" I already heard it all in the first 60 pages.

So, because Jack's character was so not mysterious, combined with Amanda's non-personality, the so called "most sensual romance of the year" became "the most boring read of my life."

Apparently, that much-touted book with Derek Craven is supposed to be a sexier, better version of this book. But at this moment, I shudder at the thought of picking up a Lisa Kleypas book.

Ah, Sidonie! I'm grinning. You picked a good forum to voice your thoughts on Lisa Kleypas, because I, for one, ADORE her books. :lol:

I respect your opinion, though. Completely.

Now, in defense of my favorite author of all time, Suddenly You is a favorite story of mine as is the hero, Jack Devlin. I think he's yummy and I loved the fact that the heroine is short and plump and not at all physically perfect (like Jack is) and yet he loves her and desires her anyway. I loved (SPOILER ALERT!!!) that he is a younger man. (The heroine is my age and hooks up with a totally hot, totally smart, totally rich younger man in his twenties who adores her and screws her senseless? What's not to love? :D )

Okay, then... Again the Magic. The heroine in this story is not one of my favorites. Her cowardice is the reason why the two protagonists don't get together until the very end. But John McKenna is one of my favorites. (Actually, if you look at my list of all time favorite heroes in the side bar of my blog, I believe at least half of them are Lisa creations.) His overwhelming, undying love for the heroine makes the book so sweet. And the secondary romance between Gideon and Livia is an added bonus. Two romances for the price of one!

Finally, Dreaming of You, was Lisa's breakout book, the one that established her career and made her famous. It is all due to the hero, Derek Craven, who appears in many of Lisa's books. Before reading Dreaming of You I suggest reading Then Came You, the story that comes before it and where Derek is a main secondary character. Frankly, I don't see what the fuss over Derek is about. :scratch: But everybody else is crazy about him.

Every reader has their own tastes. I know of many bestselling authors whose work I can't read because they are just not my style. We all have our prefences. Don't waste your time reading books you don't enjoy. The time could better be spent writing or reading an author you love!!

• 10 years later...

Okay, so I didn't love it. I didn't hate it either. I just plain didn't like it.

Lisa K is one of those authors whom everyone raves about and quickly recommends whenever someone asks for a good historical romance. Initially, I am always leery of raved-about authors(Mary Balogh, anyone?) because they rarely live up to my own expectations--and the fact that I like being difficult and different. So far, I've only "read" two Lisa Kleypas books: Again the Magic, and the aforementioned book.

With ATM(atm, laugh.gif ), I found it to be the height of melodrama. I usually don't like revenge tales because they are so predictable(guy/girl hates guy/girl, plots their revenge, finds out that guy/girl isn't whom they thought, guy/girl falls for guy/girl. The End. Boooring.), but since my former reading group read it, when it came in the mail, I decided to push aside my reservations and read it.

My final conclusion: Pass

Okay, so that's only one book. Maybe her others might suit me better. And in comes Suddenly You. The original copy was a library copy that I'd picked up at the last minute because I liked the cover, and it promised that it was "the most sensual romance of the year". Erm, okay, I'll take it.

Ha!!!

I wasn't titillated at all. After the initial seduction scene(the first two chapters), I was yawning, and I put it down as soon as the heroine, Amanda, found out that the hero, Jack, whom had masqueraded as her call-boy was her new boss.

I'm twiddling my thumbs, writing and surfing the internet, when today, my CP sends me a copy of SY.

So, I own a copy now, and I dislike having books that I don't read, so I picked up where I left off.

Ho Hum. Boohoo Jack, he had such a horrible childhood and he doesn't care about anything but making money. Gag me.

First off, what really bugged me was the pseudo-matchmaking of the madam that sent Jack to Amanda's doorstep, as well as one of Jack's associates telling Amanda about Jack's "tortured" past. I hate when other characters butt in and explain to the other character what makes their soon-to-be love interest tick, as well as telling them that they need love, and that the other person is the one to show them the way.

Ugh. I hate confessions. I like for actions to speak louder than words, instead of a characters backstory coming out in one conversation. That ruined the book for me because whenever Jack began to share or expose a bit of his backstory himself, I had to skim it because "yawn" I already heard it all in the first 60 pages.

So, because Jack's character was so not mysterious, combined with Amanda's non-personality, the so called "most sensual romance of the year" became "the most boring read of my life."

Apparently, that much-touted book with Derek Craven is supposed to be a sexier, better version of this book. But at this moment, I shudder at the thought of picking up a Lisa Kleypas book.

I know we all hav different taste but I do enjoy Lisa Kleypas, I thought " Devil In Winter" was good and also " Secrets of a Summer Night" . I also like Lisa Marie Rice and Maya Banks but I do like Sylvia when we can get a book, lol .