Tawny Taylor's Writing Contest - (in the Boudoir)

Sylvia Day

I entered Ellora’s Cave author Tawny Taylor’s Writing Contest. She’s selecting one finalist a week, I’m the finalist for Week 2. I didn’t know. Sasha told me just a few minutes ago. :D

You can read the finalist excerpt here. Be forewarned… It is a very steamy excerpt. Tawny wrote, “Congratulations to this week’s finalist, Sylvia Day, author of A Taste of Sin! This one’s a scorcher! Whew! Enjoy.”

:shock:

---------------------------------------------------

I write so many different types of stories from sensual to outright fire extinguisher hot, historical to futuristic, traditional to paranormal--all under one pen name. I try to explain in advance what type of story you can expect but I worry that I'll shock a reader away from reading any more of my work. It's a dilemma I will have to consider very carefully now and in the immediate future.

First, congratulations on being a finalist. :wink: You are kicking butt this year.

Second, you're right about having to choose a couple of genres to concentrate on...unfortunately. You can lose readers by switching often. Also it makes it extremely difficult to build up a following when you focus on more than one genre. (Twice as long I believe. :D) They say to build a following in one genre takes approximately five years. :shock:

This subject is currently near and dear to me, since my agent told me I'm going to have to choose a couple and concentrate on them. I hope you have an easier time of it than I'm having. :roll:

Jordan, who wants to write EVERYTHING...

First, congratulations on being a finalist. :D You are kicking butt this year.  

Second, you're right about having to choose a couple of genres to concentrate on...unfortunately.

Thank you for the congratulations!! I've been pleasantly surprised by the response to A Taste of Sin. I wrote it some time ago (it's been with submissions at Ellora's Cave for over four months) and I had a lot of fun writing it! It is my second futuristic and first paranormal.

I hadn't considered the whole genre thing until yesterday, but once I did, I realized I had some serious considering to do. I need to divide my site into sections that clearly label what is traditional romance and what is romantica/erotica. Then I need to decide where I'm going to concentrate my efforts. That will be the hardest part of all.

Right off the bat, I think historical. It is my first love. But to decide between traditional or romantica historical will be hard. I adore both.

Also I had a fantastic time writing Sapphire's Worth and A Taste of Sin. AToS was written with a series in mind and I've already started the next installment. *sigh*

I really can't think about this now, it makes my head ache. :pale: I guess I will just divide up my site and work on my current historical and worry about the logistics when I get ready to write the next story. Truly, since I'm not contracted yet, I could always come up with a pen name. But then that would necessitate another website. #-o

Here comes that headache... :sad4:

Thank you for the advice, Jordan. I always appreciate every tidbit of wisdom I receive! *hugs*

I say write'em all! :cheers:

And when you get a contract, write what they pay you to write, (it goes without saying that you enjoy writing in all the genres you've dabbled in) , until you feel you have a good following, or you need to switch to keep yourself from burning out!

I know you'll eventually be successfull in them all. Both you and Jordan will be able to write ALL the various stories you want, but it will take time.

As for decideing which one to concentrate on :scratch: you can always do what I do...flip a coin! :pale:

:hello2:

Sasha

BTW I loved your excerpt for the contest. Have you finished that story? You sucked me in. :pale:

Yes, actually, the story is finished and has been with submissions at Ellora's Cave for over 4 months. :shock: (After re-reading the entry, I see it needs some editing though. :oops: )

I'm glad you enjoyed the excerpt!! I had a lot of fun writing it. It is part of a series and I've already begun the second installment, although it's on the backburner at the moment. Think Alison's SG-5 in the future with vampire heroes and you pretty much get the picture.

Now if only EC would catch up with their submission overload...

Sylvia,

I'm glad you have it finished. I know EC is a bit behind. You aren't the only one talking about not hearing anything back from them. You should be reaching the maximum in 'length of wait' time. (I believe they said four months.) Hopefully you'll here something soon. For all our sakes. :pale: I don't want to have to wait for this one.

Don't worry about the edits, unless there's something drastically wrong with the story. The editors will take care of it after they accept your work. (Thinking positive here. :-)The series reminds me of one of Angela Knight's stories she wrote for Secrets. It was about vampire bounty hunters in space. Very hot. I'm sure yours will have much success too. :D Hang in there. You're having a banner year.

Jordan

I'm sure yours will have much success too.  :D  Hang in there. You're having a banner year.

I know you'll eventually be successfull in them all.

Thank you for the encouragement!! :D It is very much appreciated. Especially today, which has been rough. :pale:

Of course, don't expect a lot of feedback on that sypnosis. LOL!  :pale:  

Jordan, who hopes to make the cheesecake this weekend... :D

Oh, don't worry!! I won't torture you with a synopsis. The one I'm working on is for another story. LOL

And yum :D on the cheesecake. Let me know how you like it!!!

• 3 weeks later...