This is my first time posting, I have LOVED reading everyone else's posts and
I too cannot wait until June. I have had Reflected in You pre-ordered for my
Nook since the first day it was available and every push back has been
devestating because I am too invested in these books LOL. However the snippets
and this forum have helped.

First I wanted to say that after reading all the posts on Corinne, I have
actually come up with my own thoughts on her. Eva (and Sylvia) have implied
multiple times that Gideon would never lead Corinne on and would have told her
up front what his intentions are with her. We also know that Corinne really cares about
Gideon and although she might realize she has no chance with him, she cares
enough to see that he is happy. In Bared to you she even tells Eva that she sees how
happy Eva makes Gideon. With that said I actually think that Gideon might have
filled Corinne in that he needs her to accompany him and take the attention off
of his and Eva's relationship. If indeed Gideon did go kill Nathan on Thursday
night, when Gideon was at the party with Corinne, if she didn't know what was
going on and what Gideon was doing, don't you think she would have made a bigger
deal of it or for that fact even noticed that he was gone from her. Again I
think that Corrinne really loves and cares about Gideon and knows that Gideon's
priority is Eva.

I love how dedicated Victor is to Eva and think that he did become aware of
what Nathan did to Eva AFTER Nathan was killed and AFTER the police came to her
apartment on Friday. Not only is Victor a police officer so he would be able to
see the records but also remember that Monica mentioned that the sealed files
are unsealed after Nathan was found dead. I know that some people have
speculated that Victor helped Gideon however I do not believe that Victor had
any way of helping Gideon take care of Nathan (which is what we are all assuming
happened, that Gideon took care of Nathan) because remember Victor and Gideon
met on Friday and the killing happened on Thursday.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome Fayeth! I'm new around here too, having started posting this week after getting hooked on the snippets Sylvia has posted. I'm enjoying getting my Crossfire fix while waiting for Entwined!

You raise a good point about maybe Corrine only wants what's best for Gideon. Even though she can't have him, she wants him to be happy. If this is true and if she truly still is the good person she'd been in Bared to You, then maybe the whole reason she's been trying to drive Eva away from Gideon in Reflected is because she (Corrine) thinks Eva is bad for him.

(Note: personally, I think Corrine turned catty in Reflected, but I'll play devil's advocate here.) First time Corrine meets Eva, at the dinner at the Waldorf, she witnesses Gideon get into a three-way argument with Eva and Dr. Lucas, an argument that ends with Eva walking out on Gideon and him so upset he goes running after her. That would have bothered Corrine, seeing Eva hurt him (which Eva did yet again reacting to something by running away from him.)

Fast forward to That Week, starting with the Tuesday night Gideon takes Corrine out to dinner. She'd pick up on the fact something was really bothering him, no matter how hard he tried to hide it. She'd known him for years. Even Eva, who's known him only a short time, knew something was eating at him, though Gideon refused to confide in Eva. Maybe Corrine thought Eva had hurt him again. (We all know now, though, what was wrong was he knew Eva's life was in danger.)

No way would he have confided the real truth in Corrine either, I believe. Angus, maybe, to help protect Eva, but not Corrine with his worst secret ever - a planned murder. Gideon never even trusted Corrine with the secret he had been sexually abused. Then there's the Thursday night of the party, and something would have seemed really off with him in Corrine's eyes. (Of course there was - he killed Nathan). But Corrine probably thought Eva was what was wrong and came to the conclusion Eva was tearing him apart.

Then Eva broke up with him on Saturday, and I'm pretty sure without telling Corrine why, he would have at least told her Eva had dumped him. In the long days that followed, he spent what free time he had with Corrine, and she would have seen he was heartbroken. I'll bet she really hated Eva because of this, thinking it was all Eva's fault he was in such pain. This works as a motive for Corrine pulling the I-just-had-morning-sex-with-Gideon fake act when Eva showed up unannounced, a stunt to both hurt Eva and to ensure Eva doesn't go back to Gideon.

It obviously infuriated Corrine that Eva saw right through her stunt and called her on it. Sweet Corrine who supposedly never has an unkind word for anyone, turned nasty (even used an f-bomb!) and slammed her door. I really love that scene. I'm hoping Eva wins another showdown with Corrine in Entwined.

Agh, will June never get here! Have pity on us here, Sylvia, and tell us who the Real Corrine is in Reflected - kind or catty?

Hi ValGirl and XoMissMaria, The nbsp and symbol thing just pops up when I specifically click on the quote button. I am on slow speed dial up and I think that may affect what I am actually seeing or how the posting translates. When I click on the response button, I also see numbers and symbols. Sorry about any inconvenience this may cause.

Regarding Eva's Dad, Victor, in Reflected on the night of the dinner at Eva's, my guess is that soon as Eva shut herself in her bedroom, he cornered Gideon, demanding Gideon tell him what was the deal about Nathan. Gideon obviously kept his mouth shut. And remember, Gideon's sister Ireland was there. The polite thing to do would have been to leave immediately to take Ireland home, now that the dinner was over and the hostess had suddenly gone to bed because she was feeling sick. I'm sure Ireland was Gideon's out to leave right away rather than face Victor badgering him for some sort of answers.

In Reflected, Victor then did some online digging on Gideon later that night or early the next morning. Victor was the one who first spotted the online newspaper picture of Gideon partying with Corrine on Thursday night. Victor then showed that picture to Eva on Saturday morning (i.e. the morning after dinner that ended with the detectives showing at Eva's.) We know what happened next -- it was the last straw for Eva. She immediately called up Gideon and dumped him over Corrine.

My guess is we'll see more of Victor in Entwined, that he's going to find out Nathan wasn't simply some bully (the lie Eva told Victor) and that Nathan tried blackmailing Stanton and probably tried to blackmail Gideon too. And find out that all those years ago, Eva's mom, Monica, quietly settled the rape case in civil court for millions of dollars rather than making sure Nathan went to prison. I can see Victor flying out to New York and angrily confronting Monica at the very least. Not stopping there, Victor could then turn his anger on Stanton for his (Stanton) having helped to continue to hush up the whole Nathan nightmare, both in the past (shelling out money to further tighten the secrecy seals on the old case against Nathan) as well as Stanton opting against going to the police immediately after Nathan showed up to blackmail him. And maybe next on Victor's list would be to confront Gideon to demand answers out of him too.

Victor loves his daughter with all his heart. And Victor is a cop. He would have wanted to see Nathan in prison for what Nathan did. Instead, rich people surrounding Eva tried resorting to using their wealth to keep the Nathan situation secret.

Yeah. Definitely more on Victor in Entwined, I am sure. I'll bet Sylvia didnt make his character a cop for no reason.

In the end it would be: Stanton had all the money to help buy anonymity, Gideon had the passion to "get rid of the problem", (and there is no way the case will just "disappear") but Victor is the one on the "inside" and he WILL find a loophole in the law and get Gideon all out of this mess.

My guess is, he realised very quickly Gideon has a part in all this, told him to continue laying low and made a few phone calls throughout that night. The next morning when he came in (and bumped into the mother) he had been for "more " than a run!

O.M.G.!!!    You have such great insights!   I previously thought that it wasn't until Victor went back to California that he would start delving into what happened to Eva...

But Eva is his daughter and to see how Eva reacted when Nathan's name was brought up-----YES!----I can see how he would start his investigation that night after Eva went to bed!!

I think that if Victor had found out what Nathan had done to Eva before Nathan was killed, I believe Victor would have killed Nathan or had him killed...

I'm sure that after the detectives left Victor would have wanted / demanded answers from Cary about Eva's reaction to Nathan's name being mentioned. I think Cary would have kept her secret .

The Saturday morning run I think he went to Gideon's apartment wanting answers from him.

I dont think Gideon would have told him Eva's secret in graphic details , just that Nathan had to go. i then think Victor would have told Gideon to go to the police and told him if Eva phoned to answer the call. Adding weight to the breakup.

I am hoping that in EWY we will see how Victor will help Gideon and Eva be together . And build on their relationships .

I'm sure that after the detectives left Victor would have wanted / demanded answers from Cary about Eva's reaction to Nathan's name being mentioned. I think Cary would have kept her secret .

The Saturday morning run I think he went to Gideon's apartment wanting answers from him.

I dont think Gideon would have told him Eva's secret in graphic details , just that Nathan had to go. i then think Victor would have told Gideon to go to the police and told him if Eva phoned to answer the call. Adding weight to the breakup.

I am hoping that in EWY we will see how Victor will help Gideon and Eva be together . And build on their relationships .

No, he wouldn't have gone to Gideon. He doesnt even know him that well then, but Cary, yes. Tho Cary might have been loyal to Eva and not told him anything, respecting the fact that Eva hadn't wanted him to know. Besides, he also showed Eva the publicity shots of Gideon that he'd found on the internet, remember, he would've mentioned it to Gideon otherwise (and not asked Eva if Corinne was another 'sister')

O.M.G.!!!    You have such great insights!   I previously thought that it wasn't until Victor went back to California that he would start delving into what happened to Eva...

But Eva is his daughter and to see how Eva reacted when Nathan's name was brought up-----YES!----I can see how he would start his investigation that night after Eva went to bed!!

I think that if Victor had found out what Nathan had done to Eva before Nathan was killed, I believe Victor would have killed Nathan or had him killed...

I KNOW! Isn't this FUN! I feel as if we all KNOW these people personally, (and that they really exist, and not just figmants of Sylvia Day's imagination!! )at the rate we are discussing them and the scenarios!

Ths is so funny

No, he wouldn't have gone to Gideon. He doesnt even know him that well then, but Cary, yes. Tho Cary might have been loyal to Eva and not told him anything, respecting the fact that Eva hadn't wanted him to know. Besides, he also showed Eva the publicity shots of Gideon that he'd found on the internet, remember, he would've mentioned it to Gideon otherwise (and not asked Eva if Corinne was another 'sister')

Victor knew that Eva was seeing Gideon before he visited her. I think the detective in him he would have researched

Then the detectives asking Gideon about Nathan would have alerted Victor to there being more than anyone was telling him.

Victor would want answers.

I think he showed Eva the Internet shots of Gideon and Corrine knowing how she would react and that reaction would help his plan of showing to the police that Eva and Gideon were broken up.

The sooner EWY comes out the better and we can get the answers to all the questions left un answered at the end of RIY

Wow - it hadn't even occurred to me, until you pointed it out, that Eva's dad, Victor, would have tried grilling Cary that Friday night about why the heck Eva practically fainted when a couple of homicide detectives mentioned Nathan's name. No way did Victor buy the "just a bully" explanation. Almost immediately after the detectives left, Eva shut herself in her room, leaving Victor only two people to question: Cary or Gideon.

My guess is Victor tried grilling Cary, because Victor knew him pretty well, him being Eva's best friend and from California too. Victor may have tried cornering Gideon that night too, because obviously Gideon knew something. But my bet is that Gideon left right away to take his sister Ireland home, now that dinner was over and Eva had gone to bed sick.

So did Cary confide the real story to Victor? On one hand, he might have kept his mouth shut out of loyalty to Eva, knowing Eva never wanted her Dad learning she'd been raped repeatedly. But on the other hand, maybe out of protectiveness for Eva, given how the Nathan mess had all blown up, Cary maybe started working with Victor behind Eva's back to keep an eye on her for her Dad. At the very least, Victor may have asked Cary to call him immediately if the cops showed up on Eva's doorstep again. Even though she would have a lawyer, Victor would want to know if homicide detectives were looking to question his daughter further, especially unannounced.

As for Saturday, Gideon wouldn't have been home if Victor went looking for him there under the guise of having gone out on a morning run. Gideon got called in to the police station for questioning that morning, and he would have met with his lawyer beforehand. Remember, within minutes of Victor getting back from the run, Eva saw the party photo of Gideon and Corrine, and she immediately phoned Gideon to break up with him. We know, from later in the story, Gideon was sitting in the police station when he got that call.

My guess - Victor being out on a run was a clever plot device on Sylvia's part to have the coast clear, by coincidence, when Eva's mother, Monica, arrived unannounced and upset about the police contacting her and Stanton. Monica would not have had such a frank talk with Eva if she wasn't alone with her, and most certainly wouldn't have had it with Victor there. It was a key plot twist that Eva find out Nathan had pictures and video of her. She immediately figured out (correctly) Gideon would have seen those too.

This iPad doesn't let me respond to a specific post, so I'll just make another general comment. I come from a family in law enforcement and my granddad was a well-known detective in Montreal.... detectives and police develop a sixth sense. Remember when Victor answered Eva's door? The detectives asked him if he was on duty or something to that effect. They sensed what he was AND they are loyal to other officers. There's no way he didn't pick up on EvA's reaction and just went back across the country. He probably may have even got some insight from the police that we don't known about yet. When he finds out the secret.... look out. OMG I'm getting excited all over again!

Hi Michele, I too am from Canada and I just wanted to clarify with you, because my understanding is that once a client/suspect/person of interest, has lawyered up and has given a full and complete statement, they cannot be continually questioned at will. Detectives cannot "just show up" unannounced. That would fall under the category of potential police harassment. Besides that; anything that someone could possibly say would be deemed inadmissible in court, because they have invoked their right to not self incriminate....ie. fruits of the poisonous tree. The police would have to have the probable cause and evidence to further investigate said persons. Any further questioning would be done with lawyers and down at police headquarters. Let's also remember that all of the individuals involved are extremely wealthy and can afford the very best legal representation. So there is no way that they would waive their rights and just "chat" with a detective without their attorneys. In the end, I guess it will all depend on how accurate Sylvia will decide to be in the next novel. Thus far she has been pretty dead on as far as all of the legal logistics. I can hardly wait for the next book! June hurry and come soon!!

Detective Graves took a calculated risk approaching Eva at all, knowing Eva was lawyered up. Technically, Graves could approach Eva at any time. But she couldn't start questioning her. But Graves wasn't there to try to demand answers from Eva, something that would have violated the constitution rights of the lawyered-up Eva. Graves was there to tell Eva shocking things. This early part of the conversation is key:

(Eva says) "I can't speak to you without my attorney present."

(Graves responds) "I'm off-duty. But anyway, you don't have to say anything. I'll do all the talking."

And Eva never told the detective anything incriminating, other than the tear-filled "Thank you" when Graves was done explaining how the police think Gideon killed Nathan to save Eva's life. And that "thank you" absolutely is inadmissible.

Gigi, I don't think the videos Nayhan made of Eva is from the rape. I think that throughout the years, Nathan followed Eva and got videos of her during her bad time, before she started therapy. Eva says that she had a time that she was really behaving really bad, so I think that was it and then Nathan always followed her.

Just a thought

That's a good thought Teresac. I thought the pics and video were of Eva while Nathan was abusing her. But you're right, mabye they are from her behaving badly days. Victor def is going to figure out what happened, cop or not, he's her father and as a parent, you want to know why your child reacted the way she did. I could see a blow-up w/ Victor and Monica b/c she kept that info from him.

Twitter is where Sylvia interacts with fans most frequently. And speaking off, last night on Twitter, she hinted that the Crossfire series might go beyond three books. A fan asked her whether Entwined In You would be the final book. Sylvia's exact words in response were "There's still room for Eva and Gideon to grow" 

SQUEEEEEEE!!!!!

Twitter is where Sylvia interacts with fans most frequently. And speaking off, last night on Twitter, she hinted that the Crossfire series might go beyond three books. A fan asked her whether Entwined In You would be the final book. Sylvia's exact words in response were "There's still room for Eva and Gideon to grow" 

SQUEEEEEEE!!!!!

Aaaaaahhhhh!! As much as I enjoyed the first two books, I really hope there's not a number four. I hate the waiting for books to be released - it's so much better when you can read them in quick succession. I feel like I'll have to re-read RIY before June.