Reflected in You **spoiler thread**

Sylvia Day

i do not think gideon was tailing nathan.  while that does seem like a good idea, now, i think his focus was protecting eva and not following nathan.  if he knew where nathan was all the time he would not have been so angry when she went out to lunch or didn't wait for his car to take her to work.  that week is when we are introduced to raul, which is evidence of gideon beefing up his security around eva.

Hi Jo-mama,

I don’t think that Gideon was having Nathan tracked before he got to New York City. If he were, it would open up huge questions; how did Gideon even find Nathan in the first place? If Nathan’s father disowned him then he wouldn’t have a clue as to his whereabouts. Would Nathan’s father hand over his son’s social security numbers or credit card information to man whom he doesn’t know, in the hopes of finding his disowned son? Even if Nathan were disowned, I don’t think that he father would put his own son in harm’s way. Somewhere along the line Nathan popped up on Gideon’s radar independent of his efforts.

After Nathan arrived in New York, it is possible that Gideon had his security team tracking Nathan’s whereabouts. If he did that, it was most likely in an effort to keep Eva safe, but even that theory has its flaws. Where was the security when Carey was being attacked? Where was the security when Nathan unexpectedly showed up at the Crossfire Building a second time (for a potential unexpected visit)? Questions, questions, question, the reader is left with so many questions?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that is exactly why i think he never had nathan followed.  i don't have any reason to think gideon did have nathan followed, other than considering the story as real rather than fictional.  sure, if one of the richest guys in the country was being blackmailed he could surely hire somebody to track him.  but here, there's no reason to draw that conclusion.  actually, as you said, many reasons to believe to the contrary.

Hi Jo-mama,

I think the most reasonable explanation to this mystery is one that Mrsmajessick suggested. Nathan probably saw photos of Eva and Gideon in the society pages living the good life. Poor Nathan has now been disowned and with that his cash flow has been terminated, so poor little rich kid is running out of money quickly. What better way to replenish the cash fund then with a little extortion scheme. So off he travels to New York to find his ex-step mother and her current moneybags husband and the man that Eva is canoodling with. Surely one them will pay out his extortion demands, right?

Here’s where we have differing opinions; is Nathan being tracked and if so who is tracking his movements? Everyone knows about Nathans whereabouts except Eva and yet no one sees fit to inform her? Why? Why is no one communicating with each other? That is evidenced when Carey was attacked, what happened there? What went wrong? What plan was everyone plotting? Where people working together or was it a situation of each man for himself? Who killed Nathan? Who knew about the plan? See, questions, questions, questions…sigh! :)

That's where I run into a loop of questions also GiGi. From what we've read so far it seems everyone stopped communicating as soon as Nathan showed up in NY. Gideon and Stanton had spoken about him before so why wouldn't they compare notes when he actually showed up? I'm just waiting for the detective to show back up and say she was mistaken and they actually found a stab wound to Nathan's chest - Gideon...a gun shot wound to the head - Stanton...and poison in his tea - Monica then it would be a cross between a nice game of Clue and an Agatha Christie novel (I'm kidding).

It kind of makes me think both Gideon and Stanton/Monica had their own seperate plan to kill Nathan and in my opinion, Gideon got to him first. When Monica says "Stanton's mind doesn't work that way" gave me the feeling she was absently suggesting her's does. She may have come up with a plan to kill Nathan and she and Stanton were in the middle of putting it together. If that is truly the case then the silence between Gideon's camp and Monica/Stanton's camp makes sense; one wouldn't want the other to be able to implicate them in Nathan's murder.

After thinking about it I'm guessing they didn't tell Cary that Nathan was in town because I believe out of all of them; he woud have told Eva. He's just as protective of her but he also was part of her therapy group and I think has a better understanding than anyone else of what Eva is capable of handling. I think he would have told Eva and then come up with a plan to get rid of Nathan, even if it meant just paying him off. Gideon, Monica & Stanton should feel guilty that they left him out there vulnerable. They probably didn't think Nathan would go after Cary, but he did - oops.

The books are told from Eva's point of view, so this is why we know nothing about how Gideon was communicating with Stanton and/or Monica once Nathan arrived in New York. We know nothing because Eva knew absolutely nothing. But they had to have been communicating, and probably cooperating on some level.

It was only after Nathan's murder that we found out some scraps from Monica. That Nathan had photos/video of Eva. That he tried to extort $2.5 million dollars from Stanton in return for leaving the country and never contacting Eva. That at first Stanton refused but ultimately Stanton was considering making the payoff. And we found out from Detective Graves that the hotel where Nathan died was owned by a subsidiary of Cross Industries.

One of the Entwined snippets contains a few lines of dialog in which Gideon was telling Eva he tried to balance keeping her safe with allowing her to keep her independence. I'm hoping those lines come from a larger conversation in which Gideon reveals the who/what/when/where/why of how the whole Nathan plot or plots unfolded. The whole story. Because Eva's no longer settling for Gideon keeping secrets, and Gideon understands he'll lose Eva forever if he doesn't start being totally honest.

I firmly believe that at some point, Gideon began having Nathan tailed. How long is the question. Was it from day one? Or did it start as soon as Gideon found out that Monday it had been Nathan who nearly killed Cary? Certainly, Gideon needed to know exactly where Nathan was on Thursday evening. And remember, the hotel security camera system had been down for some time in order to be upgraded, if we're to believe what Detective Graves told Eva. Thus Nathan had to have been under physical surveillance at least on Thursday.

Also, Sylvia posted that Gideon had been meeting with his security team at his apartment on Tuesday evening. Eva called him at home from the hospital, and she figured out he wasn't alone. He cut off the call when she started demanding who was with him. A fan later asked a spoiler question about who had been there (because we could have assumed it was Corrine. Certainly Eva did fear that's who it was.) Sylvia said it was his security people.

Because of Gideon's need to control  and because of his intense reaction when Eva told him what Nathan did to her..

I believe that Gideon had Nathan followed from day one.

i think cary's beating is irefutible proof to the contrary.  sylvia would have thrown us a clue if gideon's security team had witnessed the attack.  maybe they would have intervined at some point, or gideon would have received a phone call en route to the beach, or any of 100 different things.  she has given us no reason to think he was tailing nathan, ever.  i can't be on board with storyline that doesn't exist.

I think the fact Gideon found out so quickly it had been Nathan who attacked Cary as proof he was being followed by Gideon's people.

Cary was jumped from behind outside around the corner from a nightclub Friday night by someone with a bat. "Took me straight down and whaled on me a few times. Never got a chance to defend myself." Why did Nathan take off after only a few blows if he was in such a rage? My guess: someone chased him off, and that someone was the tail Gideon had on him. A tail would be watching from a short distance, not up close.

Gideon and Eva were at the concert at the time. Then came the fight in the alley between Gideon and Brett. Followed soon after by the sex-fueled fight Gideon and Eva had in the limo, which at the time was en-route to North Carolina. They arrived early the next day. Gideon made sure both his cell phone and her's were sent back north in the limo. And he deliberately made sure the house did not have a working phone nor Internet connection.

They got back to Eva's apartment just before midnight Sunday. That's when Gideon found out first; he checked his messages and found Stanton and Monica called. Early Monday morning, before work, Gideon stopped back at the hospital to see Eva and he was as tender as ever. As he walked away, he took a call to his cell phone.

Sylvia said Gideon's plan involving "leaving" Eva did not involve the North Carolina weekend. So it had to start after they got back. If you read closely, you can see things changed Monday. Instead of going back to the hospital after work, he took Corrine out to dinner and made sure their picture was taken. Tuesday morning before work was when Eva figured out something had changed, that Gideon had neither called nor texted her cell for 24 hours.

I'm sure Gideon's people were trying to reach him Friday. But he wasn't answering his phone. And no one could get in touch with him all weekend. I can't see his people leaving any sort of voice mails containing information of such a incredibly sensitive nature: that the guy he was paying them to tail committed serious assault and battery. They'd have kept calling until he answered his phone. Monday morning makes the most sense for when they finally did get him to answer a call.

I think the fact Gideon found out so quickly it had been Nathan who attacked Cary as proof he was being followed by Gideon's people.

Cary was jumped from behind outside around the corner from a nightclub Friday night by someone with a bat. "Took me straight down and whaled on me a few times. Never got a chance to defend myself." Why did Nathan take off after only a few blows if he was in such a rage? My guess: someone chased him off, and that someone was the tail Gideon had on him. A tail would be watching from a short distance, not up close.

Gideon and Eva were at the concert at the time. Then came the fight in the alley between Gideon and Brett. Followed soon after by the sex-fueled fight Gideon and Eva had in the limo, which at the time was en-route to North Carolina. They arrived early the next day. Gideon made sure both his cell phone and her's were sent back north in the limo. And he deliberately made sure the house did not have a working phone nor Internet connection.

They got back to Eva's apartment just before midnight Sunday. That's when Gideon found out first; he checked his messages and found Stanton and Monica called. Early Monday morning, before work, Gideon stopped back at the hospital to see Eva and he was as tender as ever. As he walked away, he took a call to his cell phone.

Sylvia said Gideon's plan involving "leaving" Eva did not involve the North Carolina weekend. So it had to start after they got back. If you read closely, you can see things changed Monday. Instead of going back to the hospital after work, he took Corrine out to dinner and made sure their picture was taken. Tuesday morning before work was when Eva figured out something had changed, that Gideon had neither called nor texted her cell for 24 hours.

I'm sure Gideon's people were trying to reach him Friday. But he wasn't answering his phone. And no one could get in touch with him all weekend. I can't see his people leaving any sort of voice mails containing information of such a incredibly sensitive nature: that the guy he was paying them to tail committed serious assault and battery. They'd have kept calling until he answered his phone. Monday morning makes the most sense for when they finally did get him to answer a call.

it's a reach.  nathan may not have been out to kill cary in the first place.  and if gideon's people wanted to reach him on friday they need only contact the head of their team, angus, who was driving the car.  gideon did realize nathan's involvement early monday, but it could be a guess at that point, or perhaps that his security team had all weekend to look into it.

I have been re-reading both books so many times and it just dawned on me that subsequent to the altercation with Brett, ands Gideon and Eva going away for the weekend, all of a sudden while they made love and the like, the actually slept apart the entire weekend. Why is that I am wondering. I know there was that one incident where he attacked her in his sleep but he was given meds and continued to share the same bed but during that weekend, they slept apart.

It could be as easy as he didn't have his meds with him perhaps?

I think we are so obsess with the whole Nathan issue that we are missing a much larger issue and threat being Christopher. I say this based on the last snippet where Eva tells Gideon that he has being fighting his battle alone etc and she is now there to fight for him and the like. I honesty think that the larger issue is with Christopher.

it's a reach.  nathan may not have been out to kill cary in the first place.  and if gideon's people wanted to reach him on friday they need only contact the head of their team, angus, who was driving the car.  gideon did realize nathan's involvement early monday, but it could be a guess at that point, or perhaps that his security team had all weekend to look into it.

Excellent point, jo_mama that perhaps his security team did spend the weekend looking into it.

It's possible (perhaps probable) they didn't know at the time who the guy that got beat up was. It was dark. And Cary's head/face were a mess. Certainly, they'd start working on determining who the beating victim was. It'd take a while, though. But once they did learn his identity and knew he was Eva's roommate/best friend, all sorts of alarm bells would have gone off.

The detective who spilled her whole Gideon-did-it conspiracy theories to Eva didn't think the attack was a murder attempt on Cary. Her theory was Nathan's motive was to intimidate Gideon. "At that point, I think Cross perceived you to be in mortal danger," Detective Graves said. That was her theory on what Gideon's motive to kill was: to save Eva's life.

Because even if Nathan didn't set out to kill Cary, he could have ended up doing so anyway. He attacked with a dangerous weapon (a bat) and inflicted very serious injuries, including skull and rib fractures. People can die from injuries like that. No wonder Gideon thought that if Nathan could go postal with a weapon on her roommate, what might he do to her?

I have been re-reading both books so many times and it just dawned on me that subsequent to the altercation with Brett, ands Gideon and Eva going away for the weekend, all of a sudden while they made love and the like, the actually slept apart the entire weekend. Why is that I am wondering. I know there was that one incident where he attacked her in his sleep but he was given meds and continued to share the same bed but during that weekend, they slept apart.

It could be as easy as he didn't have his meds with him perhaps?

I think we are so obsess with the whole Nathan issue that we are missing a much larger issue and threat being Christopher. I say this based on the last snippet where Eva tells Gideon that he has being fighting his battle alone etc and she is now there to fight for him and the like. I honesty think that the larger issue is with Christopher.

Even with the meds, Gideon was still leery of sleeping in the same bed as Eva, because he'd attacked her in his sleep. He insisted that for now they sleep (literally sleep) apart. Eva asked him if he meant different beds or different apartments. His response was different beds. Eva's got her own bedroom at his place. She's got a guest room at her's. (To my knowledge, he hasn't used her guest room but she has used her bed at his place.)

KiMa, I agree with you that Christopher Jr. could be a key character in book three. Dr. Lucas too. Now that Nathan's dead, those two are the only known bad guys in the current cast of characters. Guys who definitely have it in for Gideon and both of whom have already attempted to get at Gideon via Eva. (Christopher keeps coming on to Eva, and Lucas kept trying to poison Eva's mind.)

In Bared to You, Gideon's past was the thing that threatened to destroy the relationship. Specifically, his violent nightmares and his former fiance. He broke up with Eva right after she witnessed one of his nightmares for the first time. The break-up lasted four days, then he ran after her. Wouldn't tell her the truth. But did get her to come back. Then an even bigger crisis came when Eva got blindsided by Corrine's existence, and pulled one of her "runners." Gideon immediately ran after Eva and had a frank talk with her. Happy ending (for now).

In Reflected in You, Eva's past was the thing that threatened to destroy the relationship. Specifically, Nathan and the mortal danger he posed to Eva. Gideon left her as part of his plan to save her by murdering Nathan. This time, the break-up lasted weeks.  He hoped she would wait. He found out she wouldn't, because she wouldn't put up with the secrecy anymore. So he ran after her again, and this time started telling her some truths about his past. So she agreed to wait. Then someone else, the detective, told her the real truth about Nathan. She immediately ran back to Gideon. Kinda happy ending with them hugging and her saying whatever happens next, they would face it together.

So if we're going to come full circle in Entwined, what makes the most sense of being the thing that threatens to keep them apart? What's the thing they need to overcome that stands in the way of happily ever after? Both their pasts -- and how those now affect the present. Him under a cloud of suspicion he committed the murder of the demon from her past. And him having to prove to her -- and especially to prove to himself -- he can trust her with his deepest secrets. The deep secrets of the past involve his family.

Christopher is part of his family and the one member currently very hostile. Lucas played some role (we don't know what yet) in alienating Gideon from his family. Toward the end of Reflected, Eva picked a serious fight with Lucas, saying she suspected he covered up the sexual abuse. She kinda set out to pick a fight with Christopher too, but she held off and instead just listened to him so she could figure out why he hates Gideon.

Even with the meds, Gideon was still leery of sleeping in the same bed as Eva, because he'd attacked her in his sleep. He insisted that for now they sleep (literally sleep) apart. Eva asked him if he meant different beds or different apartments. His response was different beds. Eva's got her own bedroom at his place. She's got a guest room at her's. (To my knowledge, he hasn't used her guest room but she has used her bed at his place.)

right, they were already sleeping apart.  after the second attack he insisted they sleep in seperate beds from then on, medication or no.

I think that Gideon started his search for Nathan as soon as Eva told  him what he did. He went to Stanton the next day for info. He probably got what he needed to start his search. The pics of Gideon and Eva probably lured him to NY...for sure...if he wasn't there already.. Maybe he had a google alert set for Eva as well...

If anyone on Gideon's team knew that Cary was beaten that night, they def had a way of letting Gideon know. He had his cell w/ thim for the whole 10 hour ride to NC..Eva's was at her apartment...but I'm sure the driver had one...and Angus before him.

Also, I think that Gideon did have clothes at the house for Eva..he just didn't let her have them until they left...lol..I mean, he had all her usual cosmetics there..he had to have clothes! Even for himself lol...and they probably flew back b/c that was the plan orginaly going down.

I don't think that Nathan set out to kill Cary...just beat him and givee him the warning to 'stay away from her'...

I feel Christopher will def be a problem in EWY... Gonna put the Krav Maga to use! 

What about Brett? A problem ,or just sad that he wants to try again w/ her. I kinda feel bad for him...although she told him straight out that they weren't going to happen, but Sylvia said he'll be back. Maybe Eva will play matchmaker w/ him and Magdalena! lol...

Just my random thoughts...

I think we need to also keep in mind that the attack on Cary was completely unrelated to Nathan. I think this is how we are going to delve more into his history (so looking forward to it) and character development with Troy. I saw this as remember after his attack Monica stated "Cary was told to keep his hands of 'her'-whoever 'her' is. The detective will come back later today to try to pull some names out oh him."

I honestly think that Cary's attack had more to do with own way of seemingly sabotaging his relationships and will give us to glimpse more of him, his abuse and relationship with Eva.

What do others think? I don't by the detectives logic that Nathan attacked Cary as a warning to Eva.... The ending was to neatly pieced together and I think the two are not related.

Hi LNCronan,

I read your postings and I think that if Nathan did attack Carey, he didn’t hit him just a few times. He hit him several times and that makes a difference in the theory department. Let’s remember that Carey was a strong, vibrant, healthy young man who took care of himself. I think that it would have taken several blows in order for his bones to break. Carey also would have been doing his very best to protect himself (i.e. cover his head; protect his neck etc, with his arms, hands, etc.). Unless a person is unconscious, they will automatically raise their hands/arms etc. to whatever the threat is which seems to be evidenced by the fact that Carey had a broken arm Page 208 (so Carey didn’t get a chance to swing on his attacker-this was strictly a survival situation). This means that if your theory is accurate, then somebody stood by and watched while Carey was moaning and screaming in pain and yelling for help. Could it be that a bystander heard Carey’s cries for help and came in for to help? That is just as plausible.

Could it be that Carey got attacked and then Gideon decided to have Nathan followed, while Gideon hatched a plan for Nathan’s demise?

What Mrsmajessick said makes sense to me. If I were to commit murder I certainly wouldn’t be discussing it with everyone around me. I would keep my plans quiet and to myself. Could it be that each and every character was hatching a plan to do in Nathan themselves. Monica and Stanton could be a unit because they were married and legally couldn’t be required to testify against one another in court (or maybe Stanton found out about what Monica was up and then came in and cleaned up the mess/or sent in someone to help her, who knows?).

I agree with you that the books are written from Eva’s perspective but what is more interesting is how the other characters dealt with the whole Nathan issue or lack thereof. No one told Eva about his presence in New York. As a reader I find that even more interesting. It isn’t always just what Sylvia writes. Sometimes the lack of interaction between the characters is just as important during a crisis situation and I think that Nathan showing up in New York is a crisis situation. Up until then Monica always called her daughter; at home, work, and on her cell. Then Monica spotted Nathan herself and….nothing…..crickets! She said nothing to Eva? Why?! If that isn’t a “RED FLAG†then really I don’t know what is?

Sometimes it's what a character does not do that's a red flag. Especially when a character stops doing something. Like Monica phoning Eva daily. You're right, GiGi, about Monica cutting was back on the frequency she phones Eva is red flag. It's a biggie. One could argue that Monica now is no longer paranoid about Eva's safety, because Nathan is dead, so she doesn't need to check on Eva all the time. But I don't think it's that simple. There's definitely something more to it. You sense it too. It's why you're in Camp Stanton/Monica.

Here's my own take. Aside from Detective Graves, the only person who has told Eva anything about Nathan's actions in New York is Monica. She's blurted stuff out while upset, especially right after Nathan died. Like Eva, Monica found out (or supposedly found out) from the cops showing up on her doorstep. The cops went to see Eva Friday night. Saturday morning, they saw Monica and Stanton. Soon as they left, Monica went running to Eva's place to give her the news, only to discover the cops had gotten to Eva first. And in this scene (starts on page 273) is when Monica lets slip some of the secrets she'd been keeping from Eva, especially the existence of the pictures and video Nathan had.

Bottom line: Monica is still keeping secrets. More now than ever. But she gets very rattled when the cops go after Stanton. Twice, she's been rattled enough to actually mention the cops to Eva. But mostly, she's kept her mouth shut, and I think this is why she's no longer calling Eva daily. Because Monica is now keeping very secret from Eva the ongoing investigation. Yet Monica is highly emotional, gets reduced to tears rather easily, and so she sometimes lets things slip.

I've been unabashedly leading Camp The Cops Are Trying To Trap Gideon and Eva. Want to know what THE single biggest red flag I see that makes me believe it's true? Out of many red flags present near the end of Reflected? What Monica said when she called Eva angry and in tears after yet another visit the cops made to Stanton. See the bottom of page 329 and the top of page 330.  They'd shown up that day at Stanton's office to take copies of the security tapes. And Monica blurted out the cops are being "relentless."

Know when the cops showed up with a search warrant for Stanton's security tapes? The day before Detective Graves "accidentally" runs into Eva at the Krav Maga studio. And claims among other things she'd burned her notes, and her partner had agreed they'd reached a dead end. Malarkey. Less than 36 hours before, they showed up search warrant in hand to force Stanton to cough up security footage of a particular day or days they were interested in. What did Graves and her partner do, "burn" whatever data device the copy was on instead of taking the time (lots of time) to analyze the footage contained?

Um no. If Graves and her partner decided on their own to drop a murder case (unlikely) and destroy their notes (detectives, especially homicide ones, never destroy case files) then why are they one day before serving a search warrant on a high-power (and seriously lawyered-up) financier at his office? And here's where my knowledge of legal procedure comes in: cops have to go through a judge to get a search warrant signed. And once they've served the warrant, they have to file with the judge's court office the fact they did so, including providing an inventory list of what they seized.

The cops are still being relentless. In fact, they've turned ruthless. The only "wall" Detective Graves has hit is failing to be able to punch one hole in Gideon's alibi. She's found just one possible hole in that entire day and night, the hour-long disruption caused by the small fire at the hotel where the vodka party took place. But Gideon was far too clever, so Graves can't break it. So the cops have decided instead to try to trap him into incriminating himself. Eva's the bait.

Oh and one of the Entwined snippets contains what I think is a related red flag to the cops' recent search warrant for Stanton (his security tapes.) When I spotted it in the snippet, I knew the cops are still running around with search warrants for records. It's the phone call Eva made to Gideon from the nightclub. She chose to use nightclub's phone, figuring it would be safe to use that number because Gideon owns the place. Safe how? Safe for some business-related phone number to show up on his phone records.

Because the cops can keep trying to get records like lists of phone calls to and from particular numbers. Copies of security tape footage. Bank records. Travel records. Lots of things. And not just for the time period before Nathan died. They can keep going back for stuff from after Nathan died too. In order to look for evidence of an ongoing cover-up conspiracy. Which could include search warrants for phone records listing the numbers of incoming and outgoing calls on Gideon's various personal and work phones.  And Stanton's. And probably Monica's. And now Eva's.

So Gideon and Eva are being very careful about phone calls. And thus far the only two times we've seen him approach her post-Reflected, in the Entwined Snippets, he's disguised his appearance to make himself look like some ordinary 20-something guy, not the young mogul he is. He either thinks the coast is not yet clear, or he actually knows it's not. Thus the secrecy. 

All along, he'd been asking for Eva to wait. For what? For him to go back to her. Why did he ever leave? To fool the cops into thinking he'd left Eva to go back to his former fiancé, thereby doing away with his motive. He loved Corrine, who'd left him all those years ago and then married another man. He loved Corrine, not Eva, so why would he killed for Eva. When would it be safe to go back to Eva? Sometime after the cops finally stopped investigating him.

Bear with me here in my theories: After the cops backed off, he could after some period of time make it look like his going back to Corrine didn't work out. Remember, she was the one who rejected him years ago; she broke the engagement. Now that she's getting divorced, he leapt at the chance to get her back. But again, the two of them didn't work out. So he's free again and has his pick of the many women waiting in the wings, the two most recent being Eva and Magdalene, both of whom he's publicly dated, you can assume from the tabloid photos. Why not give it another shot with either woman? Especially Eva. If you believe the gossip photos, he ditched Magdalene for Eva, so she'd be the more natural choice of the two. 

Graves isn't buying the cover story he jumped at the chance to win back the "one who got away" many years ago, the one he wanted to marry, the one he still loves. Graves knows he loves Eva. So she's set it up to have Eva go running back to him first, while the coast most definitely is not clear. Then to sit back and watch them give themselves away. And go after them soon as they do.  

It's so much fun here with each of us trying to find hidden meanings in pieces of the plot. Which pieces are "red flags" -- clues that foreshadow something to come. Which pieces are "red herrings" -- clues deliberately meant to mislead a reader. Red herrings are an especially common literary device in mystery situations: they're the means to twist the plot.

Sylvia's especially good with the red herrings, and she's very subtle with the red flags. So we can twist ourselves every which way trying to theorize which is which, and if the clue is a red flag, where is it leading.

An example of red herrings are two phone calls Eva placed to Gideon the week Nathan was murdered.

She called him at home Tuesday night, and she called him on his cell phone Saturday morning. Both times, it was apparent he wasn't alone. We were led to believe at the time he probably was with Corrine, and it was even possible that he was sleeping with her. I mean, why else would he have her over to his apartment at night while Eva was tied up at the hospital. And why would he be with her early Saturday morning? We later found out in the book Gideon was at the police station on Saturday morning, and in response to a spoiler question, Sylvia confirmed he was meeting with his security people at his apartment Tuesday night.

An example of red flags are the fact both Magdalena and Eva got makeovers that included sophisticated haircuts.

I mean, why even bother filling up space in Bared to You about the fact Magdalena cut her hair after she gave up on Gideon. Why even bother having Eva explain to Gideon why Magdalena had worn her hair the way she had and why she'd suddenly changed. Because it helped set the stage for the part in Reflected, where Eva started turning into "new Eva." Why is the whole Saturday "spa day" important? And why did it matter that right after the makeover, Eva went out on the town that night, running into the Vidals. Sure, part of it was the set up for the showdown Eva had with Gideon's mother. But why have Christopher there too, telling her she looks gorgeous, and even dancing with her? Is it any mistake that the following Monday, after more than a week of absolutely no contact since she'd dumped him, Gideon corners Eva in an elevator at the Crossfire, pulls the promise ring she returned out of his pocket, puts it back on her hand and tells her "wait." Nope. He found out she'd done something a woman who is moving on often does, improves her appearance. And I'll bet it was via a phone call from Christopher over the weekend, twisting the knife, not simply Gideon looking at the lobby cameras Monday when Eva arrived.

Why was Gideon carrying the ring that Monday? Why was he risking even approaching Eva in the building? If we were to get into his head, we'd probably find out he was scared. Because Eva had just done the same sort of thing Magdalena had done the instant Magdalena finally threw in the towel, letting Corrine win and walking away for good.

It's so much fun here with each of us trying to find hidden meanings in pieces of the plot. Which pieces are "red flags" -- clues that foreshadow something to come. Which pieces are "red herrings" -- clues deliberately meant to mislead a reader. Red herrings are an especially common literary device in mystery situations: they're the means to twist the plot.

Sylvia's especially good with the red herrings, and she's very subtle with the red flags. So we can twist ourselves every which way trying to theorize which is which, and if the clue is a red flag, where is it leading.

An example of red herrings are two phone calls Eva placed to Gideon the week Nathan was murdered.

She called him at home Tuesday night, and she called him on his cell phone Saturday morning. Both times, it was apparent he wasn't alone. We were led to believe at the time he probably was with Corrine, and it was even possible that he was sleeping with her. I mean, why else would he have her over to his apartment at night while Eva was tied up at the hospital. And why would he be with her early Saturday morning? We later found out in the book Gideon was at the police station on Saturday morning, and in response to a spoiler question, Sylvia confirmed he was meeting with his security people at his apartment Tuesday night.

An example of red flags are the fact both Magdalena and Eva got makeovers that included sophisticated haircuts.

I mean, why even bother filling up space in Bared to You about the fact Magdalena cut her hair after she gave up on Gideon. Why even bother having Eva explain to Gideon why Magdalena had worn her hair the way she had and why she'd suddenly changed. Because it helped set the stage for the part in Reflected, where Eva started turning into "new Eva." Why is the whole Saturday "spa day" important? And why did it matter that right after the makeover, Eva went out on the town that night, running into the Vidals. Sure, part of it was the set up for the showdown Eva had with Gideon's mother. But why have Christopher there too, telling her she looks gorgeous, and even dancing with her? Is it any mistake that the following Monday, after weeks of absolutely no contact, Gideon corners Eva in an elevator at the Crossfire, pulls the promise ring she returned out of his pocket, puts it back on her hand and tells her "wait." Nope. He found out she'd done something a woman who is moving on often does, improves her appearance. And I'll bet it was via a phone call from Christopher over the weekend, twisting the knife, not simply Gideon looking at the lobby cameras Monday when Eva arrived.

Why was Gideon carrying the ring that Monday? Why was he risking even approaching Eva in the building? If we were to get into his head, we'd probably find out he was scared. Because Eva had just done the same sort of thing Magdalena had done the instant Magdalena finally threw in the towel, letting Corrine win and walking away for good.

Someone else had posted their thought that maybe Gideon was worried about her moving on also b/c of the interview Brett had given that Cary showed Eva. Saying that he wanted to try and reconnect w/ her. I think that couldv'e been another reason why he gave her back her ring.

I wonder how Gideon found out Eva spoke to his mother? Did Elizabeth call him and tell him...asking what he's said to her? Or Christopher mabye saw how upset he was after speaking to Eva, maybe?

I think we need to also keep in mind that the attack on Cary was completely unrelated to Nathan. I think this is how we are going to delve more into his history (so looking forward to it) and character development with Troy. I saw this as remember after his attack Monica stated "Cary was told to keep his hands of 'her'-whoever 'her' is. The detective will come back later today to try to pull some names out oh him."

I honestly think that Cary's attack had more to do with own way of seemingly sabotaging his relationships and will give us to glimpse more of him, his abuse and relationship with Eva.

What do others think? I don't by the detectives logic that Nathan attacked Cary as a warning to Eva.... The ending was to neatly pieced together and I think the two are not related.

I don't think it was unrelated. If we're to belive the detective, Nathan had pics of Cary too...Gideon must've known it was Nathan as well b/c after that, that's when he put his plan into motion.