Reflected in You **spoiler thread**

Sylvia Day

GiGi, a huge part of your Monica Did It theory, which I respect, is your supposition Monica is about the only person Nathan would have opened that room door for. That Nathan would have never opened his door to Gideon, because Gideon already physically attacked Nathan once. But you're assuming, just because Detective Graves said so, that Nathan open his door and immediately got stabbed on the threshold. Nathan opens door = red flag he simply let his killer in. I believe that's a red herring (something to cleverly mislead a reader so the author can twist the plot.)

In that very same conversation, Graves also said the hotel where Nathan died is owned by a subsidiary of Cross Industries. That's the real red flag I see. That ownership would enable Gideon, using a computer system he himself could easily manipulate (or have someone like Angus do it for him) to generate a master hotel keycard that would open every door in that hotel, from Nathan's room to the delivery entrance out back.

Besides, you're also assuming Gideon beat up Nathan so badly the guy would be terrified of Gideon. That didn't happen -- if it had, they'd have carried Nathan out of the Crossfire, with an awful lot of explaining left for Gideon to do. Gideon landed probably just a single punch, and not one hard enough to break Nathan's nose or something, because even that would leave some explaining to do when Nathan left Gideon's office and then the building itself. There was only a little bit of blood on one cuff of Gideon's dress shirt, so little that Eva thought it was lipstick. Nathan may have even thought Gideon was just some guy who grew up never learning how to fight, because he was so sheltered. But we know from Angus, Gideon has a very high degree of control over use of physical violence. Plus Nathan himself is a very violent individual. Why would he be such a coward about someone daring to hit him.

So here's my case for how the fact Cross Industries owned that hotel is the real red flag -- owning the hotel made it simple for Gideon get a master key to let himself in to Nathan's room -- and -- based on another habit Gideon has concerning keys and his properties makes it highly likely that's exactly what Gideon did do, use a master key.

Hotel management always has master keycards to access every last door in a facility. Housekeepers have master keycards to open every single guestroom. Yes keycards are activated (and usually tracked) through a computer system. It'd be simple to alter a computer log. 

Remember, Graves has no idea Gideon's well-established habit of carrying around a master key of another sort -- a master elevator key that lets him take over an elevator whenever he feels the need. Like when he wants to corner Eva, a habit he has of doing. And not just at the Crossfire either. Gideon owns the building where Dr. Lucas has his pediatrics practice. He whipped out his master elevator key to corner Eva in the elevator there after he fetched her from Lucas' office, so he could kiss her as ask her what the f*** she was up to.

And no, Gideon doesn't have a whole collection of elevator keys, one for every building -- that'd be a pretty big keychain to carry around in his pocket. Just in case readers thought it was a little too "convenient" for Gideon to magically have the key to the elevator at the doctor's office building in his pocket when he went tearing over there after Eva. Master elevators keys actually exist -- firefighters always carry them. So do elevator repair personnel, and in large buildings, facility managers usually carry them around too. 

Bottom line: We know Gideon has a habit of using a master key to take over elevators. Why would he hesitate to carry around a master keycard for hotel properties? Or at least get his hands on one when need be and not hesitate to use it. So without even having to knock, to tell Nathan "open the door" Gideon could very quietly let himself into Nathan's room, then just stood there and wait for Nathan to approach him. Stab Nathan. Walk away without leaving any fiber evidence anywhere in the room other than the threshold, where it would end up destroyed by a parade of people walking over it. Tamper with the computer system to erase any record of a keycard opening that door around the time frame Nathan died. Even conceal from the computer system Gideon himself had any sort of master keycard assigned to himself.

Hi LNCronan,

I just wanted to clarify that yes, we are speculating, well actually our speculations have gone from simple, to ridiculous to absurd, but that’s ok, I like to indulge in a little fantasy every once in a while. The truth of the matter is that neither of us has any actual physical, tangible proof (via Sylvia) that either or any theory is accurate. So in lieu of a game of rock, paper, scissors, we each lay out our reasons why we think our theory will fly.

My theory about why Monica may have committed the murder is that:

1. Monica has always called her daughter consistently (at home, at work, on her cell phone), bordering on obsessively, yet the week before Nathan’s murder, she stopped the calls, visits, etc. Why?

2. Monica saw Nathan with her own two eyes outside of the Crossfire Building before his murder and she said NOTHING to Eva. Why?

3. Monica and Stanton were being blackmailed by Nathan and yet they said NOTHING to Eva. Why?

4. Nathan was in New York for approximately one week before he was murdered and Monica, Stanton and even Clancy didn’t inform Eva of this fact. Why?

5. Monica failed Eva in the most elemental of ways. She put her husband above her own daughters’ safety. Yes she got her daughter out of the situation when she found out BUT her parental neglect is what helped CREATE this situation in the first place.

6. Monica knew just how dangerous Nathan was. She saw the physical evidence of his brutality on Eva’s body (with the miscarriage, vaginal and anal scarring, etc.) and yet she didn’t alert her daughter about what was going on about what was going on and that Nathan was back in town and stalking Eva. Is Monica still grossly neglectful or has she got something planned?

7. At this point Monica knows that Eva is in imminent danger. Nathan will never go away. He will just keep coming back and back and back again. This is now a no win situation. Nathan won’t stop until he kills Eva. Monica no longer has any choice. In order to save her daughter she has to kill Nathan.

I believe that Monica may have been harboring a lot of guilt and hatred toward Nathan. This man brutally raped and tortured her daughter for four years and as a result she suffered a miscarriage. This information alone must have been a huge shock to Monica’s system.

As a result, Monica lost; more accurately gave up her marriage to save/rescue her daughter which also must have upset her. She was apparently happy with this relationship. After getting out of the marriage, Monica has time to think, reflect and possibly stew over all the horrible things that have happened to her daughter and her and Nathan becomes the focus of her hatred (rightly so).

Several years later, Monica spots Nathan, is informed by her husband that Nathan is attempting to blackmail him and Monica over what he did to Eva. What is worse, Nathan has photos and videos of what he did. All those brutal rapes and torture caught on tape! Maybe Monica had the opportunity to see firsthand with her own eyes, just what exactly Nathan did to her precious daughter and in that moment Monica SNAPS!!

Monica calls Gideon to find out where Nathan is staying because Gideon has always been diligent about Eva’s safety. In the book Eva states that “Monica gives as good as she gets…that she is a man-eater…†Why couldn’t Monica have used her charms and played her MOM CARD with Gideon to get him to reveal where Nathan is staying.

So Clancy, Monica and/or Stanton stake out the hotel, figure out Nathan’s coming and goings. Monica finds the opportunity, sets up the meeting with Nathan under the guise that she is going to deliver the “payoff†money.

Monica knocks, Nathan looks through the peep hole, sees that it is Monica, opens the door and BOOM! She stabs him once in the chest. The man goes down without a fight. Nathan would never have expected a fight from a woman.

Does anyone get where I am coming from or am I the only one rowing the “Monica Boat� The point is, for as much as your theory is plausible, my theory could also be plausible.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi LNCronan,

I also just thought of something else. As far as the master key theory is concerned, I find it hard to believe that Gideon would be furiously working at making sure that the computer servers were wiped. Although computer hard drives can be scrubbed, their memories can’t be completely wiped clean. There is always trace evidence left behind of computer “scrubbing†programs. Criminals are often caught because of issues like this.

As far as the Gideon and Nathan fight thing, I look to every other fight Gideon has had in the book. He has never just landed one punch. He dished out several body blows to his opponents in a very methodical way.

I don’t believe for one second that Gideon could have sat in his office and viewed video of the love his life being brutally raped or photos of that rape and Gideon punching Nathan just once. I that is just Crap! On hand Gideon is supposed to be all emotional about kisses, on the other he is supposed to cold and calculated, he kills a man with only one blow because he can rationalize he is killing for protection and not about revenge, then he is supposed to be so brilliant that he is wiping computer servers himself, then hosting Vodka parties, all while falsely dating Corinne, etc……I am beginning to wonder Gideon has been bitten by a RADIOACTIVE SPIDER? :)

As far as the Nathan isn’t afraid of Gideon after the fight, ask ANY guy who has been in a fight with someone who has HUGE martial arts skills, there is NO FREAKING WAY that any guy with an ounce of self preservation would go in for round two. Come on now! Seriously! :) Ladies ask your men about this. Let’s also remember that Nathan was trying to blackmail Gideon and he had horrible photos and video of him brutally raping and torturing Eva. I don’t think that this would have been lost on Nathan. On one hand Nathan is supposed to cold and calculated, yet on the other he isn’t supposed to have ANY SELF PRESERVATION SKILLS. Seriously? :)

Nathan was very violent towards WOMEN!! He had a habit of brutalizing and terrorizing WOMEN, NOT men. There is a huge difference there! Perhaps Nathan Knew that he couldn’t pull those bulls*** stunts on men because he wouldn’t have gotten killed! The only difference is that no one ever controlled Nathan or tried to rein him in. He never had to atone for his crimes. His dad was always cleaning up his son’s messes, so much so, that he finally gave up and washed his hands of his own son.

Nathan wasn’t a bar room brawler. He was a lowly piece of crap that picked on, beat, brutalized, tortured and raped little girls!!! He never had an ounce of self decency. As such, I suspect that Gideon was probably the very first man to ever put the fear of God in him! He was the first man to physically react in a very violent way to one of his hideous stunts. I don’t suspect that Stanton would have put a smack down on Nathan when he showed up with the photos and video.

The theory being presented of Gideon isn’t one of a man, but either of some seriously mentally disordered man or some type of super hero. In order for a theory to fly, I have to be able to buy the premise of the theory. The scenario laid for Gideon isn’t a realistic one for me. What does everyone think?

Hi LNCronan,

I had one quick other thing to mention. I am well aware of the concept of “master keysâ€. Each and every single time that Gideon used one of his master keys, it would have been recorded someone above and beyond Gideon. Contrary to popular belief, Gideon wouldn’t have been able to account for or cover up each and every single one of his movements.

One other thing I wanted to mention is that if Gideon did use a master key to enter the hotel room, then the room lock would have buzzed or made a noise to signal that someone was entering the room. Regardless of who was using the key or which key was used, the door lock would have made a noise thereby alerting Nathan (or anyone else in the room).

Wonder if Gideon's momma will admit she did him terrible beg his forgiveness?

Hi MicheleWV,

I really hope that Elizabeth Vidal does come to realize what she did was wrong and beg for Gideon’s forgiveness! Thus far she is sitting the despicable mother category, but maybe just maybe she might be able to redeem herself just a TINY bit!

I think that if she confessed what she did was wrong it would help in Gideon’s healing process immensely! I think that Gideon deserves to heal and sometimes, for some people they need to hear from the people who harmed them, that they are sorry for their actions. I don’t know if Elizabeth Vidal is capable of that, but I hope that she is.

Hi GiGi,

I think you're theory regarding Monica is just as plausible as any other. In many ways you've now got me re-thinking things. But, do you think that perhaps Ms. Day was setting the stage for the one stab by Angus' words "He knows when to stop." That's such a strange thing to say when your boss is in the middle of a fight and his upset girlfriend ask you to break it up. The two people (Angus & Arnoldo) who know Gideon more than Eva does on a certain level all got into the limo and left him there, by himself? That part of the story has always made me curious of exactly what Angus could have meant. Especially because Angus is not just Gideon's driver he's also Gideon's bodyguard??? Shouldn't he, you know, guard his body - lol. What do you and others make of that statement?

Also, I  just wanted to through this in on the whole legal matter. The "case" against Gideon makes for great fiction reading, however, in reality it's just as GiGi said, no respectable DA would touch it and here's the simple truth why. DA's have to prove guilt beyond a reasonable shadow of a doubt. Defense lawyers don't have to prove anything, they only have to cast doubt - a much easier job.  Just asks the DAs in the Florida v. Anthony case.

Couple of quick points:

DAs still bring to trial high profile cases that blow up in their faces because in the end, the jury doesn't buy it. The Casey Anthony case is a prime example. You'd have thought that after O.J., no prosecutor would ever dare again bring an ultra high-profile murder case based purely on circumstantial evidence. Fact is they still do it all the time. Because they think they can win, even on circumstantial evidence. But they lose the case. Doesn't stop the next prosecutor from making the same d*** mistake when he/she has a case that's gonna fill the spectator area of the trial courtroom with journalists.

Why did everyone keep Nathan secret? Because he had rape photos and video of Eva, that's why. I think the only reason Monica ultimately even ended up telling Eva about the what essentially was Nathan's homemade child p*** of Eva was because Eva was now bound to find out from the cops. Nathan had been murdered and the cops had tried to start questioning Eva even before Monica herself. Monica had every reason to believe the cops would question Eva again, very soon and in much greater detail, down at the police station as soon as Eva had a lawyer. Monica wanted Eva to hear the horrible truth from herself, not be blindsided by some detective in an interview room.

Last thing -- my guess is Gideon simply slapped Nathan across the mouth in response to something dirty Nathan said about Eva. Slapped him once. Thus the little bit of blood on Gideon's cuff. It'd taken supreme effort for Gideon to stop himself from doing worse -- but we know Gideon can keep a leash on himself. Gideon would have known Eva would have found out about those rape photos before the day was out if Nathan was carried out of the Crossfire on an ambulance stretcher.

And Gideon -- who remember, is a celebrity -- would have been charged with assault and battery -- so the whole world would have soon found out about Eva's deep secret. Given how deeply ashamed Gideon is of his own deep secret, the last thing he'd ever want is someone finding out about Eva's -- find out through Gideon's own fault, because Gideon hadn't been able to stop himself from going postal. Gideon can stop himself from losing it -- and he did. For Eva's sake.

Remember too, what did Gideon do in response to some naked drugged out guy approaching Eva right in front of him (the interrupted orgy?) Punch the guy just once.

So don't assume that just because Gideon tried to beat Brett into a pulp that he does it to every guy? Gideon caught Eva passionately kissing Brett. Eva wanted Brett. Eva never wanted that leering naked guy in her living room and she most certainly did not want Nathan. She did want Brett. That's why Gideon went postal. Jealousy. Not anger.

Eva's not the only one with raging insecurity and jealousy issues (which, thank God, she's changed for the better by the end of Reflected.) If anything, Gideon's worse. It shows in his possessive nature of women -- even Corrine got a taste of that a decade ago, when she and Gideon were together. And even deeper down inside, he believes he's not worthy of love. Pretty much the difference between Eva and Gideon is the way they react when jealous and insecure. Eva freaks out and/or does something to get even. Gideon shuts down and turns ice cold.

Keeping this in mind, here's my theories on why Gideon kept hitting and kicking Brett -- that the length of time Gideon kept it up was an aberration for Gideon. His normal way was just like we saw with the naked leering guy approaching Eva in her living room - one punch. In his office with Nathan, just one punch or slap (or maybe threw Nathan over the couch, then picked Nathan up by the front of his shirt, which is how the couch got moved and Gideon got blood on one cuff.) 

Here's my case on why I think Brett was different, not normal, for Gideon's way of fighting. It was because of what caused the fight:

• With his own eyes, Gideon saw Brett and Eva passionately kissing -- Eva was kissing back. It was obvious she sexually desires Brett. Eva is the only woman Gideon has ever loved, so that kiss would have made Gideon feel jealous and insecure like he's never ever felt in his life.
  • Gideon may have already known Brett meant something to Eva even before Gideon heard the song "Golden." In any case, by the end of the concert Gideon knew for certain.
  • If Gideon had known before the concert, he would have been jealous going in and paranoid Eva was hiding Brett from him in retaliation for him having hidden Corrine's existence from her. Remember, Eva asked Gideon to go, not the other way around. (He couldn't have know Eva hadn't a clue she was going to see Brett.) I'll bet this jealousy is why Gideon made love to Eva quietly in the middle of the concert itself. To remind her of what they have together.
  • Gideon may have felt Brett singing that love song about Eva as his finale song during concerts  was Brett's public way of trying to get Eva back (and that's actually true - Brett was out there hoping some day, Eva would show up at one of his concerts.)
  • The fact Eva was now kissing Brett would have looked like Brett was succeeding. Brett with his love song won out over Gideon's hand up Eva's skirt.
  • Brett was fighting back, which Gideon would have interpreted as Brett fighting FOR Eva, not defending himself. Brett was trying to lay claim to Eva by now literally fighting for her. The jealous male in Gideon would have been further enraged.
  • Gideon was probably trying to make Brett "cry uncle" by Brett backing down first. However, physically the two men were a match for one another.

I think Gideon was the one who backed off instead of Brett. What probably finally got Gideon to put the leash back onto his temper was he remembered he himself was a major celebrity -- and the guy he was fighting was a rising celebrity. Seriously hurt Brett and the cops (then the tabloids) were gonna find out.

By the time the fight was over and then Gideon joined Eva in the back of him limo, Gideon was shut down cold as ice. He started out being sexually cruel to Eva, keeping it up until Eva said (with good reason) Gideon was treating her like a w**** (that's when something flashed in his eyes). But did Gideon stop even then? Nope, he kept it up until he finally got Eva to "cry uncle" by admitting the whole reason she even kissed Brett was really her insecurity (over Corrine) not her desire for Brett.

You know me, always looking for red flags. What about Monica reminding Eva, after she saw a bruise on Gideon's face three days after the fight, to be careful about causing anything that would hurt Gideon's powerful image in any way. Eva herself was paranoid about hearing the naked guy Gideon punched in her living room wanted to press charges and so tried (in vain) to find out Gideon's identity. I'm viewing both Monica's warning to Eva and Eva herself being paranoid about the guy Gideon punched in her own living room as red flags the tabloids are going to find out Gideon and Brett fought -- literally fought -- over Eva. 

The fact Gideon fought Brett so violently is a red herring designed to cleverly mislead us into thinking Gideon would be incapable of the supreme restraint it would have taken to stab Nathan just once. If Gideon could try to pound Brett into a pulp over just one kiss, how could Gideon do anything other than rip Nathan from limb to limb for being a rapist-stalker. Gideon needed to make sure no one ever found out - that's why. And not because Gideon was a celebrity. Because if he went to prison for the rest of his life, he'd lose Eva. Even if he was acquitted, he would have believed (wrongly) he'd lose Eva forever, her knowing he was a killer.

What has always struck me as odd ( the audio books does enable you to pick up on things you might hav missed as well) is at her office, Eva has photos of everyone dear to her with the exception of her Dad. She has a photo of her and Cary, her mom and step father and then her and Gideon of course but from the onset, she never have any of her dad.

I remember that being a bit odd when I read that portion and listening to the audio books, it definitely stood out as well

BTY and RIY take us day-by-day through a month or so long time period. We know from the story that itis mid-summer.

Sylvia is giving us snapshots twice a week and the one for a chapter 2 in the next book looks like an opened Christmas gift! Do you think she's going to jump ahead?

Sylvia clarified Snapshot 2 tied directly to a snippet, not a holiday. Snippet 2 is Eva and Gideon waking up together in bed, with Eva joking that waking up to him is like waking up to presents on Christmas morning. Given how early in the book it is, I'm guessing chapter two is them waking up together at her place the morning after they secretly got back together at the end of Reflected/start of Entwined.

She could be hence the first snap shot. It could be EWY it's the start of present with them being together openly and looking back to those missing months and giving us a snapshot as oppose to picking up from there....

The characters have way other pressing things to combat and sort through and it's unnecessary to drag things out further re: Nathan so we could possible be getting a "snap shot" (lol) of what happened hence I maintain and continue to maintain that whatever happened to Nathan should logically be wrapped up rather quickly as dragging it out further is such a bore at this point!

KiMa

As you pointed out, the audio does allow you to pick up things you may have overlooked reading.. So one of things that struck me as odd was, why was Gideon just seeing Eva that day she decided to time the walk if she had been in the building for her interview and if it didn't happen on the same day she had been in the security office as she said to get her badge..??

It's rather interesting but in one of her other books that I read (trying to remember the name) Gideon's character was mentioned briefly. Basically someone had stolen jewelry from him and he had hired a pro to find it.

I know I digress but it just dawned on me....

I believe that was the first time he saw her and at one point he clarified. He was actually on his way to a meeting or something and she just happened to be there and he just happened to be there and all the stars aligned.

I will try to narrow down the page where this was clarified.

http://www.sylviaday.com/2013/03/27/entwined-snippet-10/

The server will crash shortly due to fans rushing there, so here's the text. BRETT IS BACK!!!!!

Brett smiled. “Don’t go anywhere.â€

He bounded off. Cary and I walked over to the tent bearing the Vidal Records logo. Protected from the crowds by private security, it was a tiny oasis in the madness of Times Square.

“Well, baby girl, you’ve got your hands full with him. I forgot how it was with you two.â€

“Was being the operative word,†I pointed out.

“He’s different from before,†he went on. “More… settled.â€

“That’s great for him. Especially with all that’s going on in his life right now.â€

He scoped me out. “Aren’t you even the slightest bit interested in seeing if he can still bang you brainless?â€

I shot him a look. “Chemistry is chemistry. And I’m sure he’s had plenty of chances to bone up on his already fabulous skills.â€

“Bone up, ha! That’s punny.†He waggled his brows at me. “You seem solid.â€

“Ah, now that would be an illusion.â€

“Well, look who’s here,†he murmured, turning my attention to Gideon, who was approaching with Ireland at his side. “And heading straight toward us. If there’s a brawl over you, I’m watching from the bleachers.â€

I shoved at him. “Thanks.â€

The book where Gideon's character was first mentioned is Blood & Roses... For some reason (maybe it's farfetched) I had this bizarre idea there is some characters cross over of some kind. Not sure where my thinking is taking me though

On another note, the latest snippet is delicious!!!

I also love the fact that Ireland is back!

http://www.sylviaday.com/2013/03/27/entwined-snippet-10/

The server will crash shortly due to fans rushing there, so here's the text. BRETT IS BACK!!!!!

Brett smiled. “Don’t go anywhere.â€

He bounded off. Cary and I walked over to the tent bearing the Vidal Records logo. Protected from the crowds by private security, it was a tiny oasis in the madness of Times Square.

“Well, baby girl, you’ve got your hands full with him. I forgot how it was with you two.â€

“Was being the operative word,†I pointed out.

“He’s different from before,†he went on. “More… settled.â€

“That’s great for him. Especially with all that’s going on in his life right now.â€

He scoped me out. “Aren’t you even the slightest bit interested in seeing if he can still bang you brainless?â€

I shot him a look. “Chemistry is chemistry. And I’m sure he’s had plenty of chances to bone up on his already fabulous skills.â€

“Bone up, ha! That’s punny.†He waggled his brows at me. “You seem solid.â€

“Ah, now that would be an illusion.â€

“Well, look who’s here,†he murmured, turning my attention to Gideon, who was approaching with Ireland at his side. “And heading straight toward us. If there’s a brawl over you, I’m watching from the bleachers.â€

I shoved at him. “Thanks.â€

Yep, Cary is on Team Brett. I called that last week.

• I'll bet Cary talked Eva into going to some big music industry event in Times Square, on the pretext it'd be good for Cary's career. 
  • This possible isn't an outright Vidal Records event, because Eva may not have gone if that actually were the case. It's possible Vidal Records has a tent at some larger event.
  • I'll bet Brett tracked down Cary via the Internet the same way Brett did with Eva. He found Eva as listed on the website of the advertising agency. It'd be easy to track down Cary through the modelling agency representing him.
  • I'll bet Cary knew beforehand Brett was coming to the event. Heck, Cary probably conspired with Brett to make sure Eva was there too.

And Christopher Jr. is about to find out that Eva is Golden. I'm certain that's what comes next.

Quick point.

The DAs in both the Anthony case and the OJ case had piles of evidence against those clients. Those cases were lost not due to a lack of evidence but to due to how the defense attorney's portrayed their clients to the jury for example they made Casey Anthony a victim of childhood abuse and made it appear she was mentally slow to understand what happened to her baby. That she was used to compartmentalizing her life based on the abuse and carry on as if nothing happened. It's a lot more complicated than what was seen on tv - laws wise.

I think at this point instead of beating a dead horse we can agree to disagree. As a lawyer myself, I would never take the case against Gideon because unlike the Anthony & OJ case there is no real evidence against him.

Quick point.

The DAs in both the Anthony case and the OJ case had piles of evidence against those clients. Those cases were lost not due to a lack of evidence but to due to how the defense attorney's portrayed their clients to the jury for example they made Casey Anthony a victim of childhood abuse and made it appear she was mentally slow to understand what happened to her baby. That she was used to compartmentalizing her life based on the abuse and carry on as if nothing happened. It's a lot more complicated than what was seen on tv - laws wise.

I think at this point instead of beating a dead horse we can agree to disagree. As a lawyer myself, I would never take the case against Gideon because unlike the Anthony & OJ case there is no real evidence against him.

We'll agree to disagree most respectfully Mrs. M. Along with GiGi, you're one of my favorite frequent-flier commenters.

I'm a former newspaper reporter who for many years specialized in the cops and court beat. It was a daily newspaper, and so every murder I covered was soup to nuts including sitting through the entire trials for cases that actually went to trial.

And so I saw prosecutors sometimes make the mistake of bringing to trial cases they ought not to have tried.  The most common mistake was because no matter how big the pile of evidence, it all was circumstantial. The prosecution was convinced they could meet the burden of proof beyond a reasonable doubt. The defense, knowing the case was circumstantial, decided to roll the dice rather than take a deal.

The rock solid cases all got plea bargained. On average, I saw about 90% of cases settle by being plead out. Usually by offering a murder one case a murder two deal, so that the defendant might get parole some day. In one instance, offering murder one in place of capital murder (cop killing) so the defendant would avoid the death penalty.

In all those years of court, I saw only two defendants who actually were innocent of causing the death of another person (negligent homicide in both) go to trial. Both times, the prosecution lost. Every other defendant I saw go to trial was I saw was in fact guilty, and both sides decided to roll the dice with a jury. More often than not, the prosecution would win. But sometimes they really blew it.

Hands down the biggest reason a prosecutor refused to drop a case was because it was a high profile case. Once the reporters got involved, the prosecution stuck to its guns.

I'm not sure if Cary is "Team Brett." i think he knows that Eva cannot be a "rockstar's girlfriend." I do think that he is trying to stir the pot where Gideon is concerned. I think being her best friend he would be very upset at his treatment of her and looking to get under Gideon's skin. I do believe that it will come out that Eva is Golden Girl. 

I believe, also, that the detective lied to Eva about the murder case being dropped.  Just the night before Eva

"RAN INTO"  the detective at Krav Maga, Marcia called Eva, being upset that the police were taking all the security tapes from

Stanton's buildng.  JUST THE NIGHT BEFORE.  So, the detective tells Eva the case is dropped the next day?!!  I DON"T

THINK SO..  There wouldn't have been enough time to study all those videos by then.