Reflected in You **spoiler thread**

Sylvia Day

Hi Peachies,

I read one of your earlier postings about the "Master Key" theory, I am sorry I can't remember which forum it was in.  I just wanted to clarify with you that hotels; like The Four Season and The HIlton Hotels (very upscale establishments) do not use a "metal Master key".  They use credit card type key cards that have a magnetic strip which contains information and access to certain areas. Whom ever uses one of hese "keycards" would just swipe said card against a pad (a device that reads the magnetic strip on the key card), the door would be unlocked and the person could gain access.

A master key of sorts would allow a person to gain access to all levels of the hotel; from the service entrances, to the guest suites, to the offices and everything else in between.  When a person uses this card, the information is digitally transferred to one of the hotel's computer main servers (one is on sight and the other is off sight).  That way, if there is a problem with the computer system there is always another backup.  It also help to ensure that the information remains intact and that no one can tamper with said information.

As a matter of research; I spoke with two respresentatives from "The Four Seasons Hotel and The Hilton Hotels" and they confirmed what I just stated.  They would not go into specifics about security and such (I must have sounded so strange to these people when I explained that I was doing research for a book club discussion...sigh! :)), but they were nice enough to answer my questions.  I chose these two hotels because they are upscale and have several global locations and as such various security requirements that would need to be taken into account (depending on the city and/or country the hotel is located in) in order to ensure that their guests have a safe and enjoyable stay.

I suspect that Gideon's hotels would have been just as upscale if not more so and as such would have utilized the same type of security for his hotel properties.  Each and every singal key registers their location and time when they are used. It helps the hotel staff and others keep track of the guests and employees.  It ensures that everyone stays safe and it also provides documented evidence and a time log if a crime is committed at the hotel.  Feel free to contact either of these hotels if you would like confirmation. :)

Hi Gigi but even if someone did have the key card type master key if the occupant had the bar latch fastened someone would still not be able to gain entry . I think Nathan let his murderer in or he was already there waiting for Nathan to return.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Peachies,

I read one of your earlier postings about the "Master Key" theory, I am sorry I can't remember which forum it was in.  I just wanted to clarify with you that hotels; like The Four Season and The HIlton Hotels (very upscale establishments) do not use a "metal Master key".  They use credit card type key cards that have a magnetic strip which contains information and access to certain areas. Whom ever uses one of hese "keycards" would just swipe said card against a pad (a device that reads the magnetic strip on the key card), the door would be unlocked and the person could gain access.

A master key of sorts would allow a person to gain access to all levels of the hotel; from the service entrances, to the guest suites, to the offices and everything else in between.  When a person uses this card, the information is digitally transferred to one of the hotel's computer main servers (one is on sight and the other is off sight).  That way, if there is a problem with the computer system there is always another backup.  It also help to ensure that the information remains intact and that no one can tamper with said information.

As a matter of research; I spoke with two respresentatives from "The Four Seasons Hotel and The Hilton Hotels" and they confirmed what I just stated.  They would not go into specifics about security and such (I must have sounded so strange to these people when I explained that I was doing research for a book club discussion...sigh! :)), but they were nice enough to answer my questions.  I chose these two hotels because they are upscale and have several global locations and as such various security requirements that would need to be taken into account (depending on the city and/or country the hotel is located in) in order to ensure that their guests have a safe and enjoyable stay.

I suspect that Gideon's hotels would have been just as upscale if not more so and as such would have utilized the same type of security for his hotel properties.  Each and every singal key registers their location and time when they are used. It helps the hotel staff and others keep track of the guests and employees.  It ensures that everyone stays safe and it also provides documented evidence and a time log if a crime is committed at the hotel.  Feel free to contact either of these hotels if you would like confirmation. :)

Gigi - was the hotel laughing when you were asking these questions for your book club.

There was a tweet yesterday too Sylvia about book #4.   The person wondered if she wrote them one right after another.   She had said no because her other books had to be done.   Also the talk about it going to HBO, definitely makes me think this will definitely go beyond book 4.   I have a feeling there will definitely be more "enlightment" of his father in book 4.

Someone who performs a ponzi scheme is narcistic (as someone else mentioned) and they are too into themselves who are sick.   I have personal experience being a sister of one (not Madoff) and it's a devastating experience when someone who you love and trust and loose money too does this.   I know though he would not commit suicide.  He's in jail now for 40 years.  

I read recently that Sylvia said (Sylvia like she's a friend of mine) that it takes her 6 weeks to write a book, or rather it took her 6 weeks to write EWY...that also leads me to believe there are several more coming, and the 2 week breadth of EWY clearly will leave us all hanging desperately for more

Hi Gigi but even if someone did have the key card type master key if the occupant had the bar latch fastened someone would still not be able to gain entry . I think Nathan let his murderer in or he was already there waiting for Nathan to return.

Hi Sscrph,
I never said that I thought that someone let themselves in to Nathan's hotel room.  I was simply clarifying a point about a master key theory that had been proposed.  I have always maintained that Nathan knew his killer and didn't feel threatened by them, which would have been a reason why Nathan opened the door to him (or in my theory her...that being Monica).  I guess we will all find out what is going on June 4th. 

Gigi - was the hotel laughing when you were asking these questions for your book club.

Hi Donnad,

I don't know if they were laughing at me or if they were a little afraid that I might be planning some kind of heist of some sort.  :)  I am just glad that these individuals were kind enough to share some general information with me. :)

Hey all...quick question;

Has anyone read any other book by Sylvia Day? Crossfire books are the only ones I've read. Any recs?

Yes, I have & I Love all of them that I have read:  All Revved Up, What Happens In Vegas, Mislead, Kiss of Night, A Dark Kiss of Rapture, Catching Caroline, Heat of the Night & Pleasures of the Night!  They were all good to me......

Hi Sscrph,

I never said that I thought that someone let themselves in to Nathan's hotel room.  I was simply clarifying a point about a master key theory that had been proposed.  I have always maintained that Nathan knew his killer and didn't feel threatened by them, which would have been a reason why Nathan opened the door to him (or in my theory her...that being Monica).  I guess we will all find out what is going on June 4th. 

I'm still going with Mr. Barker even though its a long shot!!

Yes, I have & I Love all of them that I have read:  All Revved Up, What Happens In Vegas, Mislead, Kiss of Night, A Dark Kiss of Rapture, Catching Caroline, Heat of the Night & Pleasures of the Night!  They were all good to me......

I also liked, Blood & Roses, Ask For It, Seven Years To Sin, The Stranger I Married.

When will we find put what Gideon whispers to Eva?! he does it often in limo in library in RYI chapter 7. Could in be the L word? Why the mystery? I also find it very inconvenient that she didn't catch conversation Gideon was having with Christopher while on library. Cary texted Eva video of Magdalena and christopher and then her phone dies! Could there be more to that video? This makes me think that Magdalena may end up being a good person at the end of series.

When will we find put what Gideon whispers to Eva?! he does it often in limo in library in RYI chapter 7. Could in be the L word? Why the mystery? I also find it very inconvenient that she didn't catch conversation Gideon was having with Christopher while on library. Cary texted Eva video of Magdalena and christopher and then her phone dies! Could there be more to that video? This makes me think that Magdalena may end up being a good person at the end of series.

I'm OK with Magdalene as a character, despite her flashes of cattiness. Far as I can tell, she's never deliberately tried to deceive Eva, and Magdalene actually was a friend to Gideon when Magdalene called up Eva to take Gideon's side in what had happened the night before at the fundraiser. Plus, Magdalene knew when to give up on Gideon. 

I think Magdalene fought fair and then knew when to back off. As opposed to Corrine, who has fought dirty, doing things that ended up hurting Gideon too, not just Eva. Magdalene may be a bee-yotch at times, but she's not two-faced like Corrine.