The Detective

Aseibel

That is good to know. I know it raised a question for me and one other in our book club group, so I thought I'd see if anyone else had the same thought. That part of the story really got to me.

• 1 month later...

Aseibel ..... you mentioned how much this scene affected you and I have to totally agree. Every time I read it (and I have read it several times !) when the detective describes G's reaction to E's phone call when he is @ the police station is heartbreaking. And then to tell to you back to him and 'thank him' was great. I dont think her intent is to con them, since she mentions that she believes Nathan was going to eventually kill E, and that G isnt a threat to anyone else. Somewhere it was mentioned that Stanton knew about the plot to kill, but I don't think anyone outside G's immediate circle (angus) knew anything. G kept all his plans to himself to protect the others.

Fsumom you have taken the words right out of mouth, I believe the detective has no other intentions then to tell Eva what she knew. At the end of the day she is an of duty cop and if she was to gain anything from that conversation wouldn't that've entrapment or something ( I may be completely wrong, just a guess about the entrapment ) but think the detective has no other motives in mind. That scene for me in the book I feel is one of the most emotional.

• 1 month later...

Okay can someone explain his office to me? It never mentions an altercation in the book. Was it really lipstick or blood? Its driving me nuts! I'm so excited for December 31st!

I feel the same way. i keep thinking that (1) Corinne WAS there.. and came on to him, and Eva had gotten him all worked up with that phone call of hers and leaving him hot and panting, but then he regretted it ....

I just find that Eva not being able to see the difference between a lipstick stain and a bloodstain a bit weak...

But i went back and read it again and again and it kinda sunk in..

Still weak tho..

Hi everyone, I had the opportunity to read everyone's post and I have to say my guard is up. There is no way that a police department is going to leave a murder unsolved. I almost think that it would be too easy. I had a discussion with some of the other ladies in another forum about this very topic and I have to say I almost think that the detective is lying. Even if she doesn't want to further investigate Nathan's murder, that detective can be taken off the Nathan case and assigned to another homicide. I would think that the police department would want results and do everything in its power to solve the murder. One other quick thing here; why would Gideon be playing it cool and continuing to distance himself from Eva if he didn't think that the murder was still being investigated and that both he and Eva were still persons of interest? Some of the snippets that Sylvia released seem to suggest that. Those are just my thoughts. I look forward to everyone's comments and the discussion. :) GiGi

I feel the same way. i keep thinking that (1) Corinne WAS there.. and came on to him, and Eva had gotten him all worked up with that phone call of hers and leaving him hot and panting, but then he regretted it ....

I just find that Eva not being able to see the difference between a lipstick stain and a bloodstain a bit weak...

But i went back and read it again and again and it kinda sunk in..

Still weak tho..

Hi Crossfire,

I don't think Corinne was in Gideon's office on the day of the altercation. I think she came looking for trouble but Gideon turned her away. Nathan was already upstairs. I think they were busy tussling. Unbeknown to Corinne, I think maybe that upset her and her supposed status she previously had (which is now all in her head). That being, I think Corinne was on the way out of the building when she saw her arch rival Eva. So she messed herself up a little, pasted a nice big fat "just messed around look" on her face and just strode out the door, knowing that it would send Eva into the stratosphere of jealousy!! Corinne thereby gets to jam a subtle wedge between Eva and Gideon's relationship.

2. I think Eva didn't take the time to actually look at things. When Eva made it to Gideon's office I am sure that she must have been livid and thereby not thinking clearly! She had already made up her mind that something had happened between Gideon and Corinne. If she would have taken a moment and processed the scene and everything around, she would have found it odd that Gideon had "supposed lipstick" on the cuff of his sleeve. When most men are getting busy and getting friendly with their lady friends, lipstick stains tend to wind up on the collar of a shirt....it is actually closer to the face or the neck a woman would want to kiss.

Those are just my thoughts. What does everyone else think? :)

Agree, GiGi, about Corrine showing up unannounced at Crossfire to try to get to see Gideon and being turned away. He had Nathan in his office at the time. And he would have told his assistant, Scott to not interrupt him under any circumstances. I'll bet when she arrived downstairs, security called up to Gideon's office, and Scott would have had her politely turned away because Gideon was absolutely unavailable at the time.

Remember, the night before had been the dinner at the Waldorf, where Corrine and Eva met for the first time. Gideon spent most of dinner talking to Corrine. Dr. Terry Lucas caused trouble by trying to lure Eva away from Gideon. It ended with Eva walking out on Gideon and him chasing after her, barely saying good-bye to Corrine. Makes sense the whole thing made Corrine so insecure she desperately tried to see Gideon, not phone him, the next day.

Earlier that same day, Magdalene phoned Eva at Eva's office in a supposed gesture of making up to Eva how rotten she treated Eva. Magdalene also had been at the Waldorf. She'd eavesdropped on the entire Gideon/Corrine conversation.

Among the things Magdalene said, when explaining Gideon had not been ignoring her (Eva) while talking to Corrine throughout dinner:

"He wasn't ignoring you .... He was managing her, Eva ... I just want you to know he seemed to be thinking about you, trying to keep Corrine from upsetting you."

Back to the detective, Shelley Graves, and her spilling the beans to Eva. Red flags scattered throughout the scene.

Graves looked at me, her gaze sharp and flat. Cop's eyes. My Dad had them too. .... (Graves') foot started tapping along with her fingers, her slim body radiating nervous energy ... Graves shrugged, but her eyes gave her away. ....

During parts of her laying out the story for Eva, Graves pointedly looked away. And as she was looking away, did nervous little things to try to vent her nervous energy. Tapping her fingers. Taking a swig from a water bottle. Rolling her shoulders.

The detective wasn't being kind, I firmly believe. She was making a high-stakes gambit to try to catch Gideon by setting a trap with Eva as bait. Maybe she thought Eva already knew and would give herself away with her own body language. Then the police could exert pressure to have Eva come in with her lawyer and turn state's evidence. Or if Eva didn't know, she'd run right to Gideon (which is exactly what she did do). Graves hoped Gideon would admit to Eva is was true. The cops would watch Eva to see how she reacted, either in horror or, more likely, get back together with Gideon. If what they saw convinced them Gideon admitted to Eva it was true, then the police, again through her lawyer, would try to get her to either turn state's evidence or go down herself for obstruction of justice.

This makes sense with Entwined in You glimpses we've seen that Gideon and Eva secretly do get back together but put up an elaborate act they're not.

Hi LN Cronan, I agree with you about the Corinne situation. I suspect that in her mind, she believes that she will be able to win Gideon back. After all she was engaged to him once, surely she will be able to use her feminine wiles to win him back. All she has to do is get rid of Eva...any way she can. As far as the Magdalene situation is concerned, I will have to check on the timeline, but I suspect that it is each woman for herself. After reading the books, I believe that Magdalene now has a reason to hate Eva. Eva received the video of Magdalene and Christopher having sex at the garden party, thereby totally eliminating any chance (in Magdalene's mind) of Magdalene and Gideon getting together, since Eva showed the tape to Gideon. It must also have been very humiliating for Magdalene to have heard about this situation from the man she had been pining over for decades. I think that during that humiliating conversation, maybe Magdalene realized that Gideon would never take sloppy seconds from his brother. It may also have ruined Magdalene's chaste, pure, virginal image with Gideon as well. The entire premise of Magdalene was the fact that she abstained from sex in anticipation of a relationship with someone who wouldn't ever have a relationship with her. Game over....hatred ON!! What does everyone think? :)

Hi LN Cronan, I totally get where you are coming from as far the detective is concerned, but what is missing is actual documented evidence. There is nothing....nada...zilch other than the detectives speculation. You can't haul someone in front of a grand jury for speculation. The only thing that the detective could confirm is that Eva may have been seen going into Gideon's apartment building, but there isn't any documentation that confirms Eva meeting with Gideon. That for me is the missing link. They aren't seen together. Period. The snippets for the next book are also so cleverly written. Eva calls from one of Gideon's clubs, which of course would be normal for an owner to receive a phone call from the establishment he owns. I completely agree with you about the detective having ulterior motives. OOOOOOHHHHH, this is going to get gooooddd!!! I can hardly wait for the next instalment! :)

Eva may have believed the detective because she was so relieved that Gideon and her could finally be back together again. But, I bet Gideon was not as easily convinced and wants to wait to see if the detective is telling the truth or playing cop games since they don't have any real evidence. I'm not sure to what end the whole police investigation will play out to but I hope it's not beyond midbook and then Eva & Gideon just decide to run away and hide out somewhere - the end. That would not be good for my heart. If Gideon's abuser is still around I hope he finds a way to pin it on him and kill to birds with one stone so to speak and Gideon and Eva fly off into their honeymoon free to do as they please!!