A couple of questions for Dr. Lucas, Gideon, Eva, Corinne, Magdalene, Christopher & Marriage

Agordon817

I just want to first start out by saying thank you Sylvia for following your dreams/guts to become a writer. If you hadn't, the world wouldn't have Eva and Gideon story. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Also, I want to say thanks for all the little extras on the website and all the advice you offer for new writers.

Now my questions. OK, is there a greater connection between Anne, Dr. Lucas wife and Gideon? We know that the Doctoral Candidate originally treating Gideon was a women so I'm thinking that person is Anne and that would explain why Dr. Lucas lied.

What was Magdalene doing at Crossfire waiting to see Eva? What did she want to talk about with Eva? It was never mentioned what her intentions were when she showed up.

How long has Christopher and Magdalene been sexual with one another?

Excluding the sexual abuse Gideon suffered as a child was Gideon a virgin until he and Corinne started there relationship in college?

When Gideon was at Eva's for dinner with her dad who was calling Gideon & did he know that the police were on there way to Eva's apartment?

Why did Eva moves from California to NY?

Why wasn't Brett and his band at the Vidal party?

Not a questions, just a thought I've been chewing on. Wouldn't it be great if Eva and Gideon were to get married in the 3rd book, and since there married, Eva could never be used against Gideon in a criminal case becasue she's his wife. That would be an awesome way to unit them further.

Once again thank you & happy new year. Please tell us that we'll have a sweet valentine's day present in the format of a third book? :-)

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Anne is the dr that saw Gideon when he was little. I think Anne was just used as revenge to Dr. Lucas. The next book will have lots of answers (I hope so).

I think Magdalena went to see Eva to say more mean things to her, I am curious to know what Sylvia would say about that. There is no reason for Magdalena go look for Eva besides say things about Gideon and to try to keep them apart.

There is a good question about Christopher and Magdalena, I wonder about that too. Gideon keeps saying that Christopher wants everything that Gideon has, so maybe Christopher know Magdalena feelings for Gideon and knows that Gideon cares for Magdalena and uses her to get to him.

When Gideon tells Eva about Corine, he says that she was his first consensual sex partner, so I would say Yes, he was a "virgin"

My guess is that Corine was the one calling him, since he was expending time with her and giving her more attention. I don't think he knew about the police going there that night, he knew they wold eventually get to Eva.

Eva moved to NY because she wanted to start over far way from her past (I think) and before that she was in a bad shape, until she started therapy and when she started together better, she wanted to be somewhere she could feel safer, and also to be close to her mother.

Maybe Brett's band was on tour? Is the only explanation I can think about it, or he got to the party after Eva left.

I can't wait for the 3rd book....

I just want to first start out by saying thank you Sylvia for following your dreams/guts to become a writer. If you hadn't, the world wouldn't have Eva and Gideon story. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Also, I want to say thanks for all the little extras on the website and all the advice you offer for new writers.

Now my questions. OK, is there a greater connection between Anne, Dr. Lucas wife and Gideon? We know that the Doctoral Candidate originally treating Gideon was a women so I'm thinking that person is Anne and that would explain why Dr. Lucas lied.

What was Magdalene doing at Crossfire waiting to see Eva? What did she want to talk about with Eva? It was never mentioned what her intentions were when she showed up.

How long has Christopher and Magdalene been sexual with one another?

Excluding the sexual abuse Gideon suffered as a child was Gideon a virgin until he and Corinne started there relationship in college?

When Gideon was at Eva's for dinner with her dad who was calling Gideon & did he know that the police were on there way to Eva's apartment?

Why did Eva moves from California to NY?

Why wasn't Brett and his band at the Vidal party?

Not a questions, just a thought I've been chewing on. Wouldn't it be great if Eva and Gideon were to get married in the 3rd book, and since there married, Eva could never be used against Gideon in a criminal case becasue she's his wife. That would be an awesome way to unit them further.

Once again thank you & happy new year. Please tell us that we'll have a sweet valentine's day present in the format of a third book? :-)

I think the 'shrink' was a woman .. 'the shrink and the doctoral candidate she was supervising'

I think Eva moved to NY after college to get a job since her Mom was living there.

and I think it was Gideon's people calling him ( ie Angus) and he could have called his lawyer since he knew he would

be going to the police to give a stmt.

Excited to get the answers to some of these questions in EIY .....

I still don't trust Magdalene. I feel like she's working with Corinne against Eva and Gideon. Magdalene called Eva the very same day, in fact, she called Eva right before Eva went to lunch and saw Corinne coming out of the Crossfire building. While on the phone with Eva, Magdalene never explained why she had showed up at the building to see Eva on the 1st book.

Corinne is clearly looking to cause some trouble and she's not doing it alone. It remains to be seen who she's working with. Nathan, Christopher, Magdalene...someone. I hope its explain why she was at the building that day.

Doesn't anyone else think its odd that Corinne showed up the very same day that Nathan did at the Crossfire building as well as the same day Eva gets a phone call from Magdalene.

After reading both books, Magdalene does come off as a softy compared to Corinne, but what if Magdalene is behind much of this. Magdalene did tell Eva that she mom and Gideon's mom are best friends. Do you think Gideon's mom would have told Magdalene about the abuse that Gideon said happen and she in turn told Magdalene?

The day that Madalena went to see Eva, was the same day that Eva had lunch with Christopher forthe first time at the Deli. When Eva came put of the building, Christopher came to her and pretend that he was there to see Gideon and also Eva to give the invitation for the party, so maybe Magdalena went there Christopher?

I still don't trust Magdalene. I feel like she's working with Corinne against Eva and Gideon. Magdalene called Eva the very same day, in fact, she called Eva right before Eva went to lunch and saw Corinne coming out of the Crossfire building. While on the phone with Eva, Magdalene never explained why she had showed up at the building to see Eva on the 1st book.

Corinne is clearly looking to cause some trouble and she's not doing it alone. It remains to be seen who she's working with. Nathan, Christopher, Magdalene...someone. I hope its explain why she was at the building that day.

Doesn't anyone else think its odd that Corinne showed up the very same day that Nathan did at the Crossfire building as well as the same day Eva gets a phone call from Magdalene.

After reading both books, Magdalene does come off as a softy compared to Corinne, but what if Magdalene is behind much of this. Magdalene did tell Eva that she mom and Gideon's mom are best friends. Do you think Gideon's mom would have told Magdalene about the abuse that Gideon said happen and she in turn told Magdalene?

Now, I have to re-read the 1st book. I didn't make the connection that Magdalene went to see Eva on the same day she had lunch with Christopher. Maybe its Magdalene who Eva really needs to watch out for and not Corinne.

Sorry for post above, I meant to write that Magdalene's mother may have told her about the abuse that Gideon said happen to him is Gideon's mom told her best friend which is Magdalene's mother.

No, there is nothing between Gideon and his stepdad....I can't wait for the next book....4 months to go

Gideon refers to his step dad as Vidal. I don't think we've seen any scene's between Gideon and his step dad and mom together. Right? Only Gideon and his mom at the party? Am I correct? I know Eva meet Christopher Sr.

• 3 weeks later...

It was not mentionned it the title we could speak about Cary but i thought i would still ask what you guys thinks. I'm wondering if Cary might be in love with Eva. We know they love each other like a brother-sister relation, but i'm still wondering if Cary is unable to settle down because he loves her and not because he's messed up with his past. Anyone having thoughts? Sylvia any answers for me :)!!!

Cary could have totally re-introduced Nathan back into the picture. He does have a self-destructive personality. Cary was worried that Eva was going to movie out of the apartment and in with Gideon when she called about the Vegas trip.

Gideon is the real deal for Eva, which means the dynamics are going to start to shift between she and Cary as her relationship with Gideon intensifies. Cary has issues of abandonment that he clearly hasn’t process through entirely.

I think that kind of sabotage would break Eva into two. It would probably take all of Gideon's love to keep Eva from going over the deep end from that kind of violation.

I think we are all dissecting this too much! Probably scares Sylvia, she has to be careful what she writes now, cos everything is put under the microscope! Like the time when Gideon went up to get his meds, what's with the dogs walking past the car? Another insignificant detail probably. (And why even mention that he went upstairs and then not say why?)

I think its hard to tell if we do have all the information to know who killed who, and who abused who because  we have to content with Sylvia's imagination. Sylvia could have dreamed up something that none of us see coming when we read the next book..

I do believe that Nathan was killed by Gideon. But I want to believe that he wasn't alone in his planning and attack of Nathan.

I want to believe that Dr. Lucas is deeply connected to the abuser of Gideon and is hiding the information not just because he lost money in Gideon's dad's money scheme. But because of something a lot deeper, that none of us will figure out because there weren't enough clues provided in the first two books. I don't think Dr. Lucas is the abuser, but there has to be a reason why Gideon is allowing this man to still be alive. 

I wouldn't be surprise if Gideon's abuser isn't alive anymore. Gideon has stated in the book to Eva that she has no idea the length he's willing to go to protect her. This leads me to believe that Gideon may have done things in his past that Eva may not like or be able to move past. Gideon also said that he made significant connection in Vegas in his poker days that help him build his wealth to what it is today. Who knows what that means????

Eva surmised Dr. Lucas is one of the two pediatricians that Gideon's mother consulted, and that's why Eva confronted him. Her guess was based on what Eva got from confronting Gideon's mother. From Reflected (these are things Gideon's mother said during the fight with Eva)

"I had Gideon examined by two separate pediatricians to look for .... trauma." 

"Who was I supposed to believe when there was no proof. No one could find anything to support Gideon's claims."

When Gideon finally told Eva some things about the abuse, the behavior he describes is molestation that began mildly and escalated in seriousness as it continued. Molestation wouldn't leave physical marks. But from some things Eva overheard him say during his nightmares (get off me ... it hurts) it sounds like the abuse ultimately escalated to forcible penetration, which does leave scarring. What if his mother had him examined while the abuse was still in the molestation phase, decided Gideon was lying for attention because there wasn't any signs of physical trauma, and forced him continue to see the abuser. This part of what his mother said to Eva chills me.

"Gideon was a troubled boy, struggling through therapy over his father's death, and desperate for attention."

Reflected in You spoiler question for Sylvia (though the answer might be in Entwined.) Did Dr. Lucas lie about the results of his examination of Gideon, or, were there not yet physical trauma signs when he did examine Gideon? Gideon hates him not because Lucas lied, but because he was one of many adults who failed to protect him? That Lucas basically said "the kid's lying" and the abuser ended up continuing to have access to Gideon? And the abuser, knowing the "coast was clear" because no one believed Gideon, escalated from molesting him to raping him?

Hi LN Cronan, You raise some really good points, but here is my question: Who was the second pediatrician/coconspirator who also agree that Gideon wasn't being abused? Did the two individuals know each other or were they unrelated? Here's my next question; why didn't the pediatricians contact Child Protective Services? When a complaint about abuse is made, a healthcare provider is mandated by law to register the complaint so that even if physical evidence of abuse isn't found, a social worker could follow up to ensure the safety of said child. A physician would also have to question the child about the abuse (very gently) and if the child stated that he/she had been abused to the healthcare provider (for example), then the physician would have no alternative but to report a case of abuse. My question is; What the heck happened here?! It seems that both Eva and Gideon were failed by the healthcare system at every single turn. Physicians failed to report complaints of abuse, potential and physical evidence that was found was disregarded, etc.... The type of initial abuse that is described in the book is basically grooming a child for the abuse. I personally think that maybe Gideon tolerated a lot before he said something and that someone or a group of someone's lied. After all how can one explain the level of hatred that Gideon has for Dr. Lucas? I also just want to be clear that there is no mild molestation. What we have here is a case of; fondling, potentially oral and eventual anal penetration. Gideon did not elaborate thus far except through his nightmares. So it will be interesting to see how this entire thing unfolds. He is a man with many dark secrets...

Hi LN Cronan, You raise some really good points, but here is my question: Who was the second pediatrician/coconspirator who also agree that Gideon wasn't being abused? Did the two individuals know each other or were they unrelated? Here's my next question; why didn't the pediatricians contact Child Protective Services? When a complaint about abuse is made, a healthcare provider is mandated by law to register the complaint so that even if physical evidence of abuse isn't found, a social worker could follow up to ensure the safety of said child. A physician would also have to question the child about the abuse (very gently) and if the child stated that he/she had been abused to the healthcare provider (for example), then the physician would have no alternative but to report a case of abuse. My question is; What the heck happened here?! It seems that both Eva and Gideon were failed by the healthcare system at every single turn. Physicians failed to report complaints of abuse, potential and physical evidence that was found was disregarded, etc.... The type of initial abuse that is described in the book is basically grooming a child for the abuse. I personally think that maybe Gideon tolerated a lot before he said something and that someone or a group of someone's lied. After all how can one explain the level of hatred that Gideon has for Dr. Lucas? I also just want to be clear that there is no mild molestation. What we have here is a case of; fondling, potentially oral and eventual anal penetration. Gideon did not elaborate thus far except through his nightmares. So it will be interesting to see how this entire thing unfolds. He is a man with many dark secrets...

Hi GiGi! I've got some theories about the points you raise. But first I want to affirm you're absolutely right -- there is no "mild" molestation. All sexual abuse, especially of children, is serious and is wrong. I should have found a better word to convey the pattern Gideon's abuser used to victimize him, and you hit on exactly the right word: grooming. Grooming is how is started, and it escalated from there.

Wikipedia has an article on child sexual abuse that explains the myriad ways it is committed (as well at many of the effects it has on the victims). I invite others on this thread to read the article to discern which abuse patterns Gideon and Eva were subjected to and how in many ways the resultant damage was the same. The link is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_sex_abuse

As for the reporting: obviously in Gideon's case, his mother and stepfather used their money to squash the entire matter. Private consultations with pediatricians, and I'll bet the examinations were done at the Vidal house instead of doctor's offices. After all, the therapist originally hired to treat Gideon for his anger issues came out to the house to see him instead of him going to the therapist's office. She (the child therapist) came, bringing a male doctoral student (who became the abuser) along. She was supposed to work with Gideon, but she ended up working with his mother instead, who was in the midst of a difficult pregnancy. The doctoral student was left to work with Gideon. Unsupervised and behind closed doors with him (in the library) at the Vidal mansion.

Should the pediatricians Elizabeth Vidal hired to examine Gideon have alerted authorities? YES. They had a legal and moral responsibility to report even the accusations. They should have reported even strong suspicions. Child Protective Services would take over as outside authorities to investigate. I think Elizabeth Vidal privately paid a lot of money to have the accusations investigated herself, out at the house, by private doctors. The outcome was she decided Gideon must be lying. End of case. He was failed on every single level. The private mental health system that exposed him to the actual abuser. The private medical establishment. And worst of all, his family.

In Eva's case, Child Services did become involved. Here are a couple of passages from Bared to You from the conversation in which Eva told Gideon about Nathan. One of the questions he asked is how she got out, how did the abuse end.

"When I was fourteen. I thought I was having my period, but there was too much blood. My mother panicked and took me to the emergency room. I'd had a miscarriage. In the course of the exam, they found evidence of ... other trauma. Vaginal and anal scarring -- "

" ... The hospital reported the abuse to child services. It's all a matter of public record, which has been sealed, but there are people who know the story."

We know Nathan was dealt with behind closed doors instead of criminally prosecuted. However, Eva's mother believed her right away and got her out of the home, leaving her first husband, Nathan's father, and divorcing him soon after. Child Services, I think, deferred to the way the case was handled because the child victim was permanently removed from the abusive household, which consisted of a step family, by the biological mother of the victim, who whatever other choices she made, at least immediately took decisive steps to protect the victim. Which likely included continued medical treatment for the physical and psychological damage.

Hi LN Cronan, I read your posting about the abuse situation and I have a few points to add: 1. In Eva's case, yes you are correct that Child Protective Services were contacted, but I submit to you that they dropped the ball. It is the responsibility of the Hospital, the Physician and CPS to contact the police as well. Let's remember that a horrendous crime had been repeatedly committed here. Firstly yes the child has to be removed from the source of danger, but we are also dealing with another child and criminal that has to be dealt with as well. If Nathan could do this to Eva repeatedly, then who's to say that he wouldn't or wasn't doing this to someone else? After all surely Nathan had several opportunities to come into contact with other girls, etc... What about them? Who was going to protect them? That's why I say CPS completely dropped the ball. Quickly, I get that CPS has thousands of cases on hand and that maybe the caseworker figured that if Eva were out of the situation then maybe that was enough, but it wasn't. It was a direct dereliction of duty. Every single person who works with/for children and/or is in healthcare is legally mandated to report any incidents to the police. No one did!! As far as the hospital, physicians, etc., each healthcare professional swears an oath of Nonmaleficence...."do no harm". Each and every single person who didn't report this to the police did grave harm not only to Eva but other "potential children/victims" who may have come into contact with Nathan. It seems that in cases of wealth people have the option of criminal prosecution, which is ridiculous! What is even more upsetting is the fact that we have a society that seems to agree with these unspoken rules of conduct. 2. Gideon's case is just as sinister. Again I have to ask who were the two pediatricians? In these types of cases both practitioners have to be independent of one another. So how on earth did Elizabeth Vidal get two completely separate medical doctors to cover up the abuse? Again these doctors swore the same oath. What's up with that? Maybe the third book will shed some light on the matter. I am glad that you provided a web site for everyone in this forum or any guests that may visit this web site can have an opportunity to gain some information about sexual abuse. I only had a few quick things to add. According to the World Health Organization 1:4 female children will be sexually abused and 1:6 male children will be sexually abused. On the African continent 1:3 children will be sexually abused (regardless of gender, race, etc.). Those numbers are staggering considering that we live in a "supposed" civilized society. Just in case anyone is wondering why this is such a sticking point for me, I think it is important that people be aware of what ideally, is supposed to go on when there is suspected child abuse claim. It was part of my course curriculum in University and then again when I took my specialty degree/post grad in University. I, too, swore an oath of Non maleficence and this oath is something that I take very seriously. What I find interesting is that each of us brings our life experiences to this forum and that is why this such an incredible group of women to correspond with. Way to go Sylvia!

Hi everyone, Sorry just quickly, I wanted to explain. Healthcare providers are mandated to make two phone calls in suspected cases of child sexual abuse; one is to Child Protective Services and the other is to the Police. Both of those phone calls will ensure that no one can accidentally or purposely drop the ball when investigating and dealing with a claim of sexual abuse. All parties are thereby protected.