A couple of questions for Dr. Lucas, Gideon, Eva, Corinne, Magdalene, Christopher & Marriage

Agordon817

I want all this to end and gideon and eva togrther in public once moregoogle pics of them when she chrcks every morning and off course a wedding i would love gid to cut of corrine gight with her tell her offand see victor again happy with gid and eva i like him and slso ireland be apart of gideons life with eva id like that

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to throw this into the mix.

In Bared to you Eva says that Nathan was lawfully punished

Then in Reflected with you the last time she saw him was in a court room eight years ago.

Anyone else think that Nathan has been in prison .

And now out he sees Eva life is good she's dating a billionaire loved by her family and he just can't stand that her life is good when his isn't disowned by his rich father what does he have but to cause pain to Eva and extort money from her family.

Hi ShazScott1980,

Sylvia stated in her books that the Nathan issue was dealt with in civil court. Sylvia has been consistent with that part of the story line with both the books. I guess the real question is; "What does lawfully punished mean exactly?" What I find interesting is that a civil court judge could preside over this type of case that was so obviously criminal in nature and not have questions. Did the judge presiding over the case do any background checks to see if Nathan had been criminally charged or convicted first? Does anyone know or have any ideas?

I'm going to throw this into the mix.

In Bared to you Eva says that Nathan was lawfully punished

Then in Reflected with you the last time she saw him was in a court room eight years ago.

Anyone else think that Nathan has been in prison .

And now out he sees Eva life is good she's dating a billionaire loved by her family and he just can't stand that her life is good when his isn't disowned by his rich father what does he have but to cause pain to Eva and extort money from her family.

Hi ShazScott1980,

Sylvia stated in her books that the Nathan issue was dealt with in civil court. Sylvia has been consistent with that part of the story line with both the books. Or maybe I assumed that from what Eva said, the case was only litigated in a civil manner. What I find interesting is that a civil court judge would sit and hear a case that was so obviously criminal in nature. How did the judge presiding over the case not do any background checks to see if Nathan had been criminally charged or convicted first? Surely he/she has a duty to disclose this type of information the proper authorities. Regardless of the country, a person has the right not to self incrimination. If Eva received a judgement, that would mean that there was clear documented evidence of Nathan's crimes. Odd. Does anyone know or have any ideas?

This is so much fun, swapping theories. GiGi put it well, "I think that we are dissecting everything to smitherines which actually helps to pass the time and gives us an opportunity to let our imaginations run freely." Keep us all amused and hooked until June 4.

These are romance novels, not crime novels. But in every novel, the protagonist(s) faces some sort of challenge/battle to win (in happy endings) or lose (in tragic downfall endings). Both Bared and Reflected end happily with Gideon and Eva reconciled. In each book, the battle to be won for both involves crimes past and present (child rape, stalking, extortion, murder). So they are crime novels too.

Some of the latest theories that clicked with me: 

ShazScott1980 is right, I think, that Nathan would have opened the door to anyone he thought was about to pay him: Monica, Stanton, Clancy, Angus, even Gideon.

Here's an additional theory for the pile: what if Gideon simply let himself into the room with a master key? He owns the building. And we know he regularly resorts to using an elevator master key to corner Eva when he needs to talk to her and can't get her alone any other way.

mrsmajessick makes an excellent point about Nathan being desperate for money. He was a rich kid completely disowned by his father.

Chiara is on to something too, I believe, about Nathan's ultimate goal was to get Eva. Nathan trying to get Gideon to drop Eva as damaged goods. And as Nathan beat Cary with the bat, he said words to the effect of "keep your hands off her" (meaning Eva: remember, some of the gossip sites speculated Cary and Eva were more than roommates).

Throwing out two theories for discussion, both involving what did Nathan plan to do if he got both the money and Eva? Keep in mind, both involve his crazy, sick thinking, not reality:

• Drag her away somewhere, maybe even out of the country, having enough money to be able to control her into staying with him?
  • Exact his revenge for her ruining his life by raping her again, killing her, and then using the money to flee the country?

Hi LN Cronan,

You make an excellent point about the master key theory. Thus far, this man has a master key to every building he owns so it could be a possibility. After reading everyone’s theories I think that for the most part, all of our theories all plausible. All joking aside, each and every single one of us has come up with more than one really good theory and scenario to go with it. Who knows, maybe someday one or more of our scenarios’ might wind up in a future book or story (fingers crossed, wink, wink, just kidding:)). :)

1. Drag her away somewhere, maybe even out of the country, having enough money to be able to control her into staying with him?

I think if Nathan managed to kidnap Eva, I highly doubt that he would be able to control her. I highly suspect that this situation would quickly escalate into a rape murder scenario. Gavin De Becker, a very highly respected former FBI profiler has said that when a victim is taken from the initial crime scene (the first location) to a second location, it is because the criminal doesn’t intend for the victim to live and about 90% of the time, victims are taken to a secondary location so the criminal can kill them with more privacy and dispose of their body. They basically have control of their surroundings; the second crime scene, so it is usually a location that they feel comfortable in and most likely won’t have any interruptions. I have absolutely no doubt in this instance that if Eva was kidnapped she would eventually be killed. Eva is also no longer a child and has had many other lovers. In his mind Nathan might see Eva as damaged goods and therefore not worthy of living or worth his while to keep alive for very long. Let’s also remember that Nathan has had years and years to fantasize about what he would do to Eva and how he would do it. Perhaps that fantasy wouldn’t live up to the reality. He had the fantasies of raping, torturing and controlling a child, but Eva no longer is that child.

2. Exact his revenge for her ruining his life by raping her again, killing her, and then using the money to flee the country?

For me this question is very simple. I have no doubt whatsoever that Nathan would repeatedly rape and torture Eva and then when he’d exhausted himself or had his fill, he would kill Eva and discard her like yesterday’s news.

I'm like you, GiGi, I can't wait until June just to laugh at how off or spot on some of our theories are. It's all just a bit of fun to pass the time and I hope others are having just as much fun as I am.

I think Nathan was desperate for the money. On the flip side of everything you could say why would he even approach Gideon at the office with all the security around? Why would he be so bold as to return a second time after being beat/hit by Gideon? Why all the running around? Why not just approach Eva directly and let everyone know he could get to her.

Remember Nathan is crazy and more than likely would not react in a normal way to danger - sociopaths have a decrease fear of danger - it's part of how they are able to do what they do.

If his intent was to scare Gideon or Stanton or both into giving him the money by attacking Cary he would have expected one of them to show up and deliver. So, being an arrogant SOB he would have opened the door to either Stanton or Gideon feeling like he had the upper hand.

And, I think the constant phone calls stopped after the murder because Monica felt the danger was gone. Although I need to go back and re-read to make sure. I believe Monica was calling up until the police notified them about the murder - if she stopped prior to that, then that is most curious.

What you guys were saying about Vidal Sr. I agree. I think he does whatever Elizabeth tells him to do. From the description of him in the book, it appears he's one of those men so happy to have a trophy wife he does whatever she tells him to do - no questions asked. LOL.

Hi Mrs. Majessick,

In response to your comments I think that Nathan first approached Gideon at his office because he figured that he would be most safe there. Gideon couldn’t kill him in his office because then he would have to explain away a dead body.

I think that maybe Nathan didn’t approach Eva or try to contact her directly because he was most likely waiting for the payoff first (have your cake and eat it too theory). I never stopped to think that Nathan would try to make a grab for Eva after the payoff, but judging from what everyone has said and from the detectives’ comments; it now appears that may have been a very real possibility.

I also think that Nathan didn’t approach Eva directly because he felt the wrath of Gideon and probably would have eventually incurred the wrath of everyone else as well. It may have been an eye opening moment for Nathan. Surely Nathan must have realized, even just a little bit, that Eva was loved and that her family wouldn’t stand for her to be hurt again.

Maybe the fight in Gideon’s office set off a process where Nathan began to mentally unravel. He realized that his physical safety was now of concern courtesy of Gideon and that began a list of worries for him. Maybe he realized for the first time that when he made a threat, people weren’t going to react in the manner he expected (i.e. to get paid off immediately or have his demands met immediately, huge surprise).

As Mrsmajessick put it, maybe he had committed other rapes/crimes and those crimes were catching up with him, thereby putting more mental pressure on Nathan and that caused him to act rashly and attempt an unexpected visit to the Crossfire Building a second time.

Nathan could have tried to gain entry into the building a second time but was refused (which would have been another huge blow to his ego) and therefore caused him to unravel more. People were not acting the way that he had expected and that could have freaked him out even more.

As for the Vidal Sr. situation my question would be, didn’t the man have a heart? Wouldn’t Elizabeth Vidal have told her husband about Gideon’s claims of abuse? Did Vidal Sr. have not concern for his own child’s safety? Was the man completely clueless? Didn’t he suggest that maybe it would be best to hire new therapists, etc. (if not for the sake of Gideon but for the sake of his own son Christopher)? What’s the deal there?

Hi everyone,

I have been contemplating what everyone has said and I have a few observations/theories/questions of my own. As far as Nathan's murder what I find so interesting is just how well Gideon planned the entire scenario (if in fact he did kill Nathan). On page 335 of RIY the detective states “I had to go back to the hotel three times before I learned there was a fire in the kitchen that night. Nothing major, but the entire hotel was evacuated for close to an hour. All the guests were milling on the sidewalk.†So that could mean two possible things; either Nathan had previously arranged with someone to stay and wait for his extortion payout or maybe he was on his way out, given misinformation by someone about evacuating the hotel and stayed inside. I guess the more I think about that scenario, the more questions I have. How did the fire happen? Did someone in the kitchen set a small fire/did Gideon? How on earth could a fire have happened just before or around the time the murder was being committed or had been committed? I feel like I am still missing a small piece of the puzzle.

I was thinking about Monica’s interaction with Eva the few days leading up to Nathan’s murder, I suggest if you get a chance, go back and reread pages 273-280. I found the way in which Monica reacted, when Eva told her that Nathan died, odd. It is almost as if she already knew. The way in which Monica reacted was almost nonchalant. In fact, the first concern or comments Monica made were to ensure that Eva has legal representation and that her alibi was solid. The only time that Monica showed emotion was when Eva got upset. I don’t have a child so I can’t say for sure how I would react, but I do know that if someone hurt my loved one in such a brutal way, I wouldn’t have let them go unpunished and would have been relieved that they were dead and could no longer hurt another human being. What does everyone think?

On page 275 Monica says “Nathan showed up in Richard’s office last week. He wanted two and half million dollars….He has-had-photos, Eva…Of you.†So Monica knew for at least a week that Nathan was in town. She herself (probably Clancy too) also spotted Nathan outside of the Crossfire Building on the day Eva, Monica and Megumi went to lunch and she didn’t say a word. Is it just me or does anyone else find it odd that Monica never contacted Eva to let her know that her abuser was in town trying to extort money for his crimes? The whole premise of Monica’s character is, she is the constantly overprotective hovering mother (as is evidenced by her tracking Eva’s cell phone, buying the Krav Maga Studio, etc.) and yet when a real threat materializes (in the form of Nathan), she doesn’t let her daughter know, she doesn’t ramp up security for her daughter and she isn’t constantly calling her. Why? Even if I bought the argument that Monica was a naïve woman before Nathan tried to extort money from Stanton, then wouldn’t seeing photos and video of her daughter being raped and tortured clue her in to the fact that Nathan was a real viable threat? Wouldn’t Monica’s past experiences dealing with Nathan clue her in to the fact that this was a dangerous and unstable person? I think that the same question could be asked of Stanton? Where was he in all of this? He too, would have seen the photos and videos of what Eva went through. Was his reaction really to sit back and do nothing? Why didn’t Stanton pick up the phone himself and call Eva to let her know what was going on? Was he really that much of a patsy to let his wife call the shots? Did Stanton really think that Monica would be capable of ensuring her daughter’s safety? I don’t understand. Can someone explain this to me in a way that would actually make some kind of sense? Right now the only way that any of this could possibly be explained is if someone decided to take matters into their own hands (Monica, Stanton, Gideon, etc.). Nothing else makes sense to me. In this instance I don’t think that I/we are over dissecting this point. I think that this may be an important point/key/clue in the next book.

What is also curious to me is that Monica mentioned that Stanton had finally decided to payout the extortion demands. What changed her mind/Stanton’s mind? Were things not going according to plan? What was the plan? Who was in Charge? Why, even if they didn’t initially let Eva know that Nathan was in town; wouldn’t they let her know about Nathan’s presence when things got serious, dangerous?

My question for everyone is how did they find out about Nathan attacking Carey? Do you think that Gideon, Stanton, or Monica realized that Nathan was responsible for attacking Carey?

GiGi I don't think the fire was at the hotel Nathan was staying at. It was at the hotel where Gideon had arranged the Kingsman Vodka Party. I also think he chose this hotel because if Eva had seen the pictures from the press of him and Corinne and learned that there was a fire there she wouldn't think he took her up to room or reopened the Fpad as she called it. So the Fire had a double meaning..... At least I think...!!!

My guess is Monica may have known that Gideon had played a part in Nathan's death, I say this because when Eva asked Monica if Stanton arranged the murder Monica said "no his mind doesn't work like that" but she NEVER asked Eva if she thought Gideon may have played a part in murder..!!!!

i believe that monica, stanton, and gideon had some sort of conversation regarding nathan after he showed up at their respective offices.  the reason i believe this is because of how monica reacted the monday morning after their reclusive weekend.  the "he should have known better" than to take her away with no way to call, the "what if there had been an emergency".  eva played it off as there was an emergency (carey), but monica knew of nathan's presence by this point, and gideon, too. 

i am confused by the universal decision to keep eva in the dark about nathan.  and carey, too.  she's an independant woman and they all decide to collectively treat her like a child.  not that this isn't true to life, but i'm offended on her behalf.

it is my furvent hope that the detective was earnest in her speech and this murder business is over with.  the story has been awesome and gripping, but much more of this will be overkill.  eva is free and gideon is the one who freed her - hooray!  let's move on.

i've read these 2 books 3 times, now.  they've been an absolute pleasure to pick through, because i think sylvia is a master at foreshadowing.  what keeps me up at night thinking (or diving into other books to distract myself) is the doctor and where he fits into this.  how could he be responcible for putting a rift between gideon and his family, why is he not at liberty to discuss the details when gideon was not his patient, and why would his wife seek gideon out?  does their relationship have anything to do with his profession, at all?  humph!  may can not come soon enough!

Another thing that bothers me is that when Cary got attacked Monica said "Cary was told to leave her alone, whoever her is".! So this brings me question,

If Nathan knew about Gideon and Eva why would he attack Cary and say Leave Her Alone.?

I'm re-thinking Monica so much I'm going to have to go back and read all passages in which she appears, looking for clues. Clues about both her and Stanton. I'm still firmly in the Gideon-did-it camp, and I also think Argus may have helped. But I'm now seriously wondering how much interaction Monica and/or Stanton had with Gideon. Even if they weren't involved in the murder, they most certainly must have been involved in the plan to deal with Nathan before that. To keep his presence in New York a secret from Eva. And to keep an eye on him in order to find out where he had hidden the original copies of the photos/video of Eva.

How did Gideon find out it had been Nathan who attacked Cary? Gideon must have had Nathan under surveillance. No one had been able to reach Gideon by phone that weekend. But early the next morning, he got a phone call at the hospital. See page 215 of Reflected. I believe that's when he got the news.

The hotel fire was at the one where the vodka party was, not the one Nathan stayed at. Gideon owned both buildings, however he knew like the back of his hand the party hotel. He started using that place while still in college as his %#@! pad, his first sex partner there being Corrine. And he obviously bought the place later. I'll bet that once he became famous enough to be tabloid fodder, he was careful about his comings and goings there, slipping out side doors. It'd be pretty easy for him to sneak around and set a fire himself.

I think he picked the hotel for that reason, to be able to sneak in and out unnoticed that night. But he took a huge risk in the Eva department by arranging for him and Corrine to be photographed there. Eva knew all about Gideon's past history there, including Corrine. So naturally, she assumed the worst.

But what she didn't know is Gideon had cleaned out the room he maintained there. The room came up the first time they had a couples appointment with Dr. Petersen. Later that night, while she was asleep, he slipped away to clean the place out. But when he returned to Eva's place, he found her in the middle of a Nathan nightmare. So he never told her that night about his trip to the hotel. And it didn't come up for discussion since then, not until near the very end of Reflected (page 328) when Gideon told her, told her the day he'd finally started opening up to her as a means to get her to agree to wait for him to come back to her.

i don't think monica or stanton conspired with gideon to kill nathan, per se, but they were surely discussing the matter.  somebody else mentioned how monica was not driven into overprotective fits at the knowledge of nathan's presence.  the only way i think she could have managed that kind of restraint would have been to know what types of protective measures gideon had in place for her.  his stalkery ways may be far beyond what we may ever know.

GiGi I don't think the fire was at the hotel Nathan was staying at. It was at the hotel where Gideon had arranged the Kingsman Vodka Party. I also think he chose this hotel because if Eva had seen the pictures from the press of him and Corinne and learned that there was a fire there she wouldn't think he took her up to room or reopened the Fpad as she called it. So the Fire had a double meaning..... At least I think...!!!

My guess is Monica may have known that Gideon had played a part in Nathan's death, I say this because when Eva asked Monica if Stanton arranged the murder Monica said "no his mind doesn't work like that" but she NEVER asked Eva if she thought Gideon may have played a part in murder..!!!!

Hi MrsCrossfire,

You right. I have been reading and rereading so many passages from the books that my eyes are starting swirl around in their sockets. :) Let's hope they won't shrivel up before June 4th. :)

I'm re-thinking Monica so much I'm going to have to go back and read all passages in which she appears, looking for clues. Clues about both her and Stanton. I'm still firmly in the Gideon-did-it camp, and I also think Argus may have helped. But I'm now seriously wondering how much interaction Monica and/or Stanton had with Gideon. Even if they weren't involved in the murder, they most certainly must have been involved in the plan to deal with Nathan before that. To keep his presence in New York a secret from Eva. And to keep an eye on him in order to find out where he had hidden the original copies of the photos/video of Eva.

How did Gideon find out it had been Nathan who attacked Cary? Gideon must have had Nathan under surveillance. No one had been able to reach Gideon by phone that weekend. But early the next morning, he got a phone call at the hospital. See page 215 of Reflected. I believe that's when he got the news.

The hotel fire was at the one where the vodka party was, not the one Nathan stayed at. Gideon owned both buildings, however he knew like the back of his hand the party hotel. He started using that place while still in college as his %#@! pad, his first sex partner there being Corrine. And he obviously bought the place later. I'll bet that once he became famous enough to be tabloid fodder, he was careful about his comings and goings there, slipping out side doors. It'd be pretty easy for him to sneak around and set a fire himself.

I think he picked the hotel for that reason, to be able to sneak in and out unnoticed that night. But he took a huge risk in the Eva department by arranging for him and Corrine to be photographed there. Eva knew all about Gideon's past history there, including Corrine. So naturally, she assumed the worst.

But what she didn't know is Gideon had cleaned out the room he maintained there. The room came up the first time they had a couples appointment with Dr. Petersen. Later that night, while she was asleep, he slipped away to clean the place out. But when he returned to Eva's place, he found her in the middle of a Nathan nightmare. So he never told her that night about his trip to the hotel. And it didn't come up for discussion since then, not until near the very end of Reflected (page 328) when Gideon told her, told her the day he'd finally started opening up to her as a means to get her to agree to wait for him to come back to her.

Hi LN Cronan,

You make a really valid point about the videos and photos of Nathan’s crimes. The reader is left to wonder where the original videos and photos are. Somehow I doubt that Nathan would have shown Stanton or Gideon the original copies of videos/photos. There would be too much potential risk for destruction of property. I am sure that these men probably got upset when they saw the photos and could have even ripped them up. I guess my question for the universe would be; who was alerted first that Nathan was even in New York? We know that Gideon vowed to find Nathan and make him wish he were dead, but did Gideon make good on his promise?

Oh LN Cronan, anytime you like, come on over to camp-Monica/Stanton, the water is fine! :)

Hi LN Cronan,

You make a really valid point about the videos and photos of Nathan’s crimes. The reader is left to wonder where the original videos and photos are. Somehow I doubt that Nathan would have shown Stanton or Gideon the original copies of videos/photos. There would be too much potential risk for destruction of property. I am sure that these men probably got upset when they saw the photos and could have even ripped them up. I guess my question for the universe would be; who was alerted first that Nathan was even in New York? We know that Gideon vowed to find Nathan and make him wish he were dead, but did Gideon make good on his promise?

Oh LN Cronan, anytime you like, come on over to camp-Monica/Stanton, the water is fine! :)

Well I'm going to come over to camp-Gideon/Stanton on one matter: the hotel where Nathan was staying. Pure co-incidence Gideon owned the building? Maybe: he owns an awful lot of real estate, especially hotels. But pure co-incidence it was a building where the security system had been offline for some time for an upgrade? I think - NOT.

Assuming Nathan was dirt poor, how could he afford to stay at a good hotel in a nice section of downtown New York City? Maybe Stanton "offered" to put him up while thinking over his (Nathan's) demands. Throw Nathan a financial crumb to keep him on the line and have him somewhere where they (Stanton and Gideon) could keep track of him via physical surveillance (people) but not leave any electronic surveillance proof (video footage).

Maybe this keeping Nathan under their thumb had been for two reasons initially: 1. find out by following him where he had the originals of the Eva photos/video stashed and 2. make sure he's sticking to his promise of staying away from Eva in return for being paid millions. String Nathan along temporarily, in other words.

How did Gideon (and maybe Stanton too) find out so quickly it had been Nathan who beat Cary with a baseball bat? Because Nathan could have been being tailed at the time by Gideon's people. (And yes, if this was the case, the "tail" ought to have jumped in, but for whatever reason, the person(s) following Nathan didn't. Or maybe they finally did, so Nathan took off instead of finishing the job of beating Cary to death)

And GiGi, you ask a really key question I hope we get an answer to: what led to Nathan showing up in New York? Did he crawl out of the woodwork because he saw lots of gossip photos of Eva with Gideon (and with Cary too). Or did Gideon track him down first? I'd love it if Sylvia would respond with a spoiler question answer.

How about a nice switch from hashing Nathan to death (bad pun intended). How about some Corrine theories? Specifically, about what she may have said to Gideon right after both of her stunts in which she made herself looked freshly #!$&ed in order to try to trick Eva into thinking Gideon was sleeping with her.

The first incident was at the Crossfire building at lunchtime the day after Corrine met Eva. The incident where Corrine emerged with her hair mussed and her lipstick seriously smeared. And climbed into Gideon's Bentley waiting at the curb. The second incident was the morning Eva showed up unannounced at Corrine's apartment. Corrine kept her waiting 20 minutes then answered the door all flushed and wearing a sexy bathrobe and refusing to let Eva in, instead acting like Gideon was inside the apartment.

Incident number one got Gideon into a lot of trouble with Eva. It sparked a huge fight, with Gideon ending up angry at Eva too, angry that she would ever think he'd cheat on her. He must have called Corrine to demand what the heck she thought she was doing, showing up unannounced at the Crossfire, a place where Eva could (and did) run into her. After all, Gideon went after Magdalene somehow in response to her trying to poison Eva's mind that once Gideon had slept with her (Eva) it was over. He turned icy when Eva told him verbatim the catty words Magdalene had said, and he promised to deal with her. I'm sure Gideon decided to deal with Corrine as well for upsetting Eva.

So, did sweet little Corrine act all innocent on the phone, making Eva look bad for being so insecure? I'll bet. But I'll bet the incident backfired on Corrine in one way, Gideon's possessiveness. Years ago when they'd been together, Gideon had been very possessive, so much so it bothered her. Only in hindsight did she realize the possessiveness had been a sign Gideon wanted her. So here were are, with Gideon asking her why she emerged from the Crossfire looking all mussed up. But NOT acting jealous in any way toward Corrine. Not acting possessive of her. But acting very protective of Eva because of Eva's insecurities. I'll bet Corrine came away from that conversation finding out the hard way Gideon didn't want her anymore and was truly very serious about Eva.

Incident number two: Corrine asked Eva whether Gideon knew she (Eva) had shown up at her (Corrine's) apartment. "No but you'll tell him. And that's fine," Eva answered, then proceeded to demand her own explanation out of Corrine about what she'd been doing at the Crossfire. Even accused Corrine of maybe having been with some other man at the building that day.

So how soon did Corrine tell Gideon about the argument with Eva? And what did she say? My theory: Corrine phoned him angrily right after she slammed the door on Eva. And probably tried to paint Eva as some sort of nutjob still obsessed weeks later that some sort of nooner had gone on between Gideon and her (Corrine).

But another consequence Corrine didn't want to happen did, and right away: Gideon went to see Eva. He figured out from the GPS tracking on the Bentley where she'd gone (remember, Angus didn't tattle on her, Gideon said.) I'll bet before the Corrine call, Gideon hadn't been watching the Bentley location in real time. Eva had been refusing rides for weeks. But now all of a sudden she was in the car that morning. Where had she gone? Corrine's, spending 20-plus minutes there. And now where was Eva? At Dr. Lucas' office.

After Gideon left with/dragged away Eva from Lucas' office, he started talking to her, and the first thing he brought up was Eva stirring up trouble with his mother, Corrine, even Lucas. One way or another, Gideon knew Eva had gone after Corrine that morning. The fact he included Corrine on the stirring-up-trouble list leads  me to believe Corrine called him shortly before he took off in pursuit of Eva.

How about a nice switch from hashing Nathan to death (bad pun intended). How about some Corrine theories? Specifically, about what she may have said to Gideon right after both of her stunts in which she made herself looked freshly #!$&ed in order to try to trick Eva into thinking Gideon was sleeping with her.

The first incident was at the Crossfire building at lunchtime the day after Corrine met Eva. The incident where Corrine emerged with her hair mussed and her lipstick seriously smeared. And climbed into Gideon's Bentley waiting at the curb. The second incident was the morning Eva showed up unannounced at Corrine's apartment. Corrine kept her waiting 20 minutes then answered the door all flushed and wearing a sexy bathrobe and refusing to let Eva in, instead acting like Gideon was inside the apartment.

Incident number one got Gideon into a lot of trouble with Eva. It sparked a huge fight, with Gideon ending up angry at Eva too, angry that she would ever think he'd cheat on her. He must have called Corrine to demand what the heck she thought she was doing, showing up unannounced at the Crossfire, a place where Eva could (and did) run into her. After all, Gideon went after Magdalene somehow in response to her trying to poison Eva's mind that once Gideon had slept with her (Eva) it was over. He turned icy when Eva told him verbatim the catty words Magdalene had said, and he promised to deal with her. I'm sure Gideon decided to deal with Corrine as well for upsetting Eva.

So, did sweet little Corrine act all innocent on the phone, making Eva look bad for being so insecure? I'll bet. But I'll bet the incident backfired on Corrine in one way, Gideon's possessiveness. Years ago when they'd been together, Gideon had been very possessive, so much so it bothered her. Only in hindsight did she realize the possessiveness had been a sign Gideon wanted her. So here were are, with Gideon asking her why she emerged from the Crossfire looking all mussed up. But NOT acting jealous in any way toward Corrine. Not acting possessive of her. But acting very protective of Eva because of Eva's insecurities. I'll bet Corrine came away from that conversation finding out the hard way Gideon didn't want her anymore and was truly very serious about Eva.

Incident number two: Corrine asked Eva whether Gideon knew she (Eva) had shown up at her (Corrine's) apartment. "No but you'll tell him. And that's fine," Eva answered, then proceeded to demand her own explanation out of Corrine about what she'd been doing at the Crossfire. Even accused Corrine of maybe having been with some other man at the building that day.

So how soon did Corrine tell Gideon about the argument with Eva? And what did she say? My theory: Corrine phoned him angrily right after she slammed the door on Eva. And probably tried to paint Eva as some sort of nutjob still obsessed weeks later that some sort of nooner had gone on between Gideon and her (Corrine).

But another consequence Corrine didn't want to happen did, and right away: Gideon went to see Eva. He figured out from the GPS tracking on the Bentley where she'd gone (remember, Angus didn't tattle on her, Gideon said.) I'll bet before the Corrine call, Gideon hadn't been watching the Bentley location in real time. Eva had been refusing rides for weeks. But now all of a sudden she was in the car that morning. Where had she gone? Corrine's, spending 20-plus minutes there. And now where was Eva? At Dr. Lucas' office.

i have trouble imagining gideon and corinne discussing eva at any length.  i doubt he would have ever asked her about why she left the crossfire all mussed (as you said, his possessiveness of her is long gone, so why would he care, especially with nathan on his mind, now).  and i really don't think she would have called to tell him that eva came to her place.  corinne isn't stupid enough to think eva means nothing to him, so she would never mention it to him.  you don't win over a guy by continually bringing up the person he loves!  he knew she was at corinne's because of the gps and possibly angus. 

Gideon had been discussing Eva at length with Corrine prior to Corrine meeting Eva. See pages 312 to 314 in Bared to You, the scene where Corrine has a talk with Eva at the advocacy dinner while Gideon is off talking to someone. He'd been telling Corrine about Eva from the day he met her.

Though actually it's apparent he quit talking about Eva with Corrine later, when he was spending his free time with Corrine after Nathan's murder.

sure, he spoke to corinne of her early on - it's probably the only thing he wanted to talk about!  but their post-eva discussions would be wary to include the subject.  if the man you wanted was still hung up on somebody else, would you keep reminding him of her?  no.  even at that dinner where he was ignoring eva to talk to corinne, we know from magdalene that corinne kept trying to discuss eva by talking about herself.  she's a great manipulater.

sure, he spoke to corinne of her early on - it's probably the only thing he wanted to talk about!  but their post-eva discussions would be wary to include the subject.  if the man you wanted was still hung up on somebody else, would you keep reminding him of her?  no.  even at that dinner where he was ignoring eva to talk to corinne, we know from magdalene that corinne kept trying to discuss eva by talking about herself.  she's a great manipulater.

Excellent points, jo_mama. When Gideon and Eva had their long talk back at her apartment after the dinner, he maintained Corrine's going through a rough time (divorce) and he's being there for her as a friend. That it would be cruel to cut her off. Eva warned him he's kinda clueless about women wanting more, and she told him to start weaning Corrine off.

So you're right he probably backed off on talking about Eva after Corrine had met her. Plus there's no evidence he saw Corrine face-to-face between the night of the advocacy dinner and the day he started using Corrine as part of his cover story he left Eva for her. But I'm sure that between the time of the advocacy dinner and the time Gideon began spending time with Corrine again, he must have continued to talk with her on the phone regularly. Not every day. But regularly. And probably listened sympathetically as a friend. And probably didn't talk at length about Eva, not unless Corrine asked him.

I can't, however, see Gideon saying absolutely nothing about the fuss Corrine had caused by showing up unannounced at the Crossfire and getting spotted there by Eva. The aftermath was one of the most serious fights Eva and Gideon had. Gideon must have asked Corrine why she even showed up, and I'm sure he would have asked her not do it again. Too, if Corrine did call him angry because Eva showed up at her apartment and picked a fight with her, Gideon most certainly would want to know exactly what was said. Especially exactly what Eva said. Because at the time, Gideon was in trouble with Eva again -- and again for Corrine being at the Crossfire. He got caught red-handed walking her out of the building to his car, and Eva flipped him the middle finger.

You know when all is said and done, Eva owes Gideon an old fashion Arse kicking. I mean come on, treating her like a hysterical, bubble-headed blond who can't handle the truth of Nathan being back in the picture is insulting. I know he was trying to protect her, but everyone seems to forget it was Eva that went through the abuse and she survived it - maybe she would have liked to have had some say in what happen to Nathan. Gideon's lack of trust in her as a strong woman is going to be a real problem for them in the future because Eva is strong & smart. I love the last snippet when she calls him a "caveman" that was spot on, happy for her.

As for Corinne, I keep wondering what Gideon said to her about his sudden interest in taking her to dinner and parties instead of Eva. Corinne would have had to ask why he wasn't taking Eva? I mean the last time Corinne seen Gideon he was chasing after Eva out the door. I can't see Gideon confiding in Corinne, but he couldn't have just called her up and said "Let's start hanging out - a lot."

I'm starting to think that Gideon may have even called Corinne to show up at the Crossfire looking all mused up that day Eva saw her. We don't know what time Nathan showed up and Gideon may have even put his plan into motion that quickly - this is a man who remembers all of Eva's makeup products by brand and shades - that gives him super powers in my book. That would play along with Corinne taking so long to open the door - keeping the plan going of making Eva think there was something more going on between her and Gideon.  Corrine might have even called Gideon while Eva was waiting. But, if all that is true how much of what Gideon was planning to do to Nathan did he tell Corinne? Surely not that he intended to kill him. But, he had to tell her something???

Excellent points, jo_mama. When Gideon and Eva had their long talk back at her apartment after the dinner, he maintained Corrine's going through a rough time (divorce) and he's being there for her as a friend. That it would be cruel to cut her off. Eva warned him he's kinda clueless about women wanting more, and she told him to start weaning Corrine off.

So you're right he probably backed off on talking about Eva after Corrine had met her. Plus there's no evidence he saw Corrine face-to-face between the night of the advocacy dinner and the day he started using Corrine as part of his cover story he left Eva for her. But I'm sure that between the time of the advocacy dinner and the time Gideon began spending time with Corrine again, he must have continued to talk with her on the phone regularly. Not every day. But regularly. And probably listened sympathetically as a friend. And probably didn't talk at length about Eva, not unless Corrine asked him.

I can't, however, see Gideon saying absolutely nothing about the fuss Corrine had caused by showing up unannounced at the Crossfire and getting spotted there by Eva. The aftermath was one of the most serious fights Eva and Gideon had. Gideon must have asked Corrine why she even showed up, and I'm sure he would have asked her not do it again. Too, if Corrine did call him angry because Eva showed up at her apartment and picked a fight with her, Gideon most certainly would want to know exactly what was said. Especially exactly what Eva said. Because at the time, Gideon was in trouble with Eva again -- and again for Corrine being at the Crossfire. He got caught red-handed walking her out of the building to his car, and Eva flipped him the middle finger.

these 2 times you're speaking of, when she walked out of the crossfire and when eva was at her apartment, corinne was supposedly trying to infer a sexual relationship with gideon.  i don't think she'd want gideon to know she was trying to hurt eva like that (boy, would he hate her, then!).  and i still don't think he'd approach corinne about being at the crossfire.  she didn't come to see him, so whatever she was doing there was her business.  he made it clear to eva in that arguement that he didn't care why corinne got manhandled and i think he was truthful in that.  it was not corinne's fault they got into an arguement - that's all on eva's jealousy.

You know when all is said and done, Eva owes Gideon an old fashion Arse kicking. I mean come on, treating her like a hysterical, bubble-headed blond who can't handle the truth of Nathan being back in the picture is insulting. I know he was trying to protect her, but everyone seems to forget it was Eva that went through the abuse and she survived it - maybe she would have liked to have had some say in what happen to Nathan. Gideon's lack of trust in her as a strong woman is going to be a real problem for them in the future because Eva is strong & smart. I love the last snippet when she calls him a "caveman" that was spot on, happy for her.

As for Corinne, I keep wondering what Gideon said to her about his sudden interest in taking her to dinner and parties instead of Eva. Corinne would have had to ask why he wasn't taking Eva? I mean the last time Corinne seen Gideon he was chasing after Eva out the door. I can't see Gideon confiding in Corinne, but he couldn't have just called her up and said "Let's start hanging out - a lot."

I'm starting to think that Gideon may have even called Corinne to show up at the Crossfire looking all mused up that day Eva saw her. We don't know what time Nathan showed up and Gideon may have even put his plan into motion that quickly - this is a man who remembers all of Eva's makeup products by brand and shades - that gives him super powers in my book. That would play along with Corinne taking so long to open the door - keeping the plan going of making Eva think there was something more going on between her and Gideon.  Corrine might have even called Gideon while Eva was waiting. But, if all that is true how much of what Gideon was planning to do to Nathan did he tell Corinne? Surely not that he intended to kill him. But, he had to tell her something???

i think it is important to note that gideon never lies to eva.  he does not want to decieve her in any way - he wants her to trust him completely.  he would not want her to think he was sleeping with corinne, not for a second.  corinne's presence at the crossfire is still a mystery, but if we take everything gideon says for truth (which i do, because this is something i think we can rely on from sylvia) we know that he had no idea why corinne was there or why she looked as she did.

and corinne is desperate to have gideon back.  i think eva was correct, that gideon would have told corinne that he was only interested in friendship from her to not hurt her, but i think that corinne would take gideon's company any way she could get it.  would she care why he was asking her to accompany him to events instead of eva?  perhaps she would be curious, but not enough to not go.

Sylvia clarified in answer to a spoiler question that it was after the North Carolina trip when Gideon set in motion the plan that unfolded the week Nathan was killed. In other words, taking Eva away for a romantic weekend wasn't meant to brace her for what was about to come. Sylvia also said his reason for a change in plans was the danger to Eva had become too great. (Remember, while they were away in North Carolina, Nathan nearly killed Cary.)

So I can't see him using Corrine as any sort of deflection prior the week everything hit the fan. He was, however, trying to manage Corrine (if we believe what Magdalene tattled to Eva the morning after Eva met Corrine). As Magdalene put it, at the dinner the night before, Gideon had been " .... trying to keep Corrine from upsetting you."

Didn't work, duh, Mr. Caveman indeed. Granted, by her own admission, Eva could get crazy with jealousy. She warned Gideon about this the day she agreed to become his girlfriend. The jealousy is one of the major issues Eva is working through. But Gideon seriously underestimated how badly Corrine did upset Eva.

In Entwined snippet #1 we see a tiny piece of a past-relationship talk Gideon and Eva have. I'm hoping in that scene, Eva gets the full explanation she deserves about how exactly Gideon "handled" Corrine from the day Corrine came back to New York. Did he even stand up for Eva? And what sort of story did he feed Corrine all those weeks he spent his free time with her, letting the world believe he'd kicked Eva to the curb.

several people have asked how gideon knew it was nathan who beat cary so quickly.  i don't think that it would take a huge assumption to reach that conclusion.  he knew nathan was around (enough to inspire a trip to get eva out of town for the weekend) and that cary was beaten by somebody who told him to "keep his hands off her".  nathan had obviously been reading the tabloids (that included cary) since he found eva and gideon in the first place.  it's a reasonable deduction, albeit not one that would stand up in court, but enough for a possessive boyfriend to decide to 'take care of things'.