Crime of Passion

Crossfire

I can SO see Gideon putting an end to the misery called Nathan which makes me wonder what he did to the person who put HIM through ? I can t wait to find out in the Entwined

I think Christopher Vidal sr put Gideon through .

I'm not sure if he physically abused him but maybe those who did were there because of Vidal .

I think if Vidal had physically abused Gideon he'd want Ireland out of there. I think Gideon has only a little relationship because she reminds him of Vidal .

And I think instead of physically hurting Vidal he hit him were it hurt by obtain the contor of his business.

I think young Christopher is jealous of that fact Gideon has the power of what he sees should be his business .

Could Christopher jr be evil enough to kill Nathan only to frame Gideon for it . If Gideon was to go to prison does Christopher jr think he could take control of Vidal records .

Got to think of twists in the story if we've got to wait until June for EWY !

I got the feeling Gideon acquired controlling interest in Vidal Records as an act of revenge towards his mother not believing him about the abuse. And, I'm sure Vidal Sr. went right along with Elizabeth - no questions asked. Plus, we all know Gideon likes control. Having some control over his family through their bank accounts has got to be a plus in his book.

I think Christopher Jr. is capable of anything, I just don't think his little pea brain could put it together. Every time he showed up in the book all I could think was "oh, the slow, jealous one has something to say." I can't see him as a real threat. I think Eva could take him.

I do think Gideon killed Nathan. Judging from the snippets I'm pretty positive he did. It will be interesting to see how Gideon deals with what he's done. One thing to wish someone dead, but a whole other thing to do it. And how will Eva respond when her head clears and she realizes this is a secret they will have to keep for the rest of their lives together or apart? Secrets never stay in the dark forever. But, maybe in Sylvia's Eva & Gideon created world they do. Can't wait to find out!

I don't see Vidal as playing a big role in the story. Cross Enterprises probably just owns controlling interest in Vidal Records just to ensure Christopher doesnt mess up the business. I agree that it is not possible to just "shut a case" just cos the detective thinks scum like Nathan is not worth it ("I've got many other cases worth spending time over") which is why I thin in the next book Gideon still has to "lie low" where they, as a couple are concerned. But now they share the secret Eva will be less insecure. It will always hang over them, I see that Victor will delve into it from San Diego and somehow "organise it" that Gideon gets off..(threatening his father that it is jo longer under seal and would be made public information otherwise....") the flow of the story is Eva and Gideon's insecurities (low self esteem and need for control on both counts) resulting in jealosy etc, the big step forward is when they gain more confidence in their relationship and therefore finding their trust in each other I THINK,....

Hi everyone, I read all the posts and I sat back and thought to myself; did Gideon really commit this murder? It was described that Nathan suffered one fatal wound to the heart. I find it very hard to believe that Gideon could exercise that much control to only stab him in the heart. Somehow I find it very odd. Think about how Gideon reacted when Eva kissed Brett. Gideon went nuts!!! How do you think Gideon would have reacted seeing the man who brutally and repeated the woman he was beyond in love with? Somehow I think it would have been a far uglier murder scene. I also don't think that Gideon, if he did commit the murder, did it alone. What does everyone else think? I look forward to reading everyone else's thoughts. GiGi

I think that Gideon had total control and was capable of a single stab in the heart. He already had punch Nathan in his office (the blood in his shirt) and he could risk do anything else because of the timeline and he could risk leave behind anything that could be traced back to him.

Good one. I'm with you on this

Gideon definitely killed Nathan, with his own hands, of that I'm convinced. But his motive wasn't revenge for Nathan raping Eva as a girl. His motive was Eva's life was in danger. It was methodically planned out, and you could make a case for it being justifiable homicide. (Well, maybe. He did take the law into his own hands, but the motive was to save an innocent life.)

From something Sylvia posted somewhere recently (I gotta start writing down a list of where she posts key insights) Sylvia made clear that Cary being beaten half to death made the danger level too high for Gideon's comfort. Even the cops later conceded Nathan likely was going to kill Eva sooner or later.

A single stab wound to the chest leaves little physical evidence. Repeatedly slashing someone gets blood on the perpetrator and can leave an evidence trail. So does physically struggling with a victim, which leaves scratches on the perpetrator and traces of his skin (and thus DNA) under the fingernails of the deceased. A gun leaves ballistic evidence, including gunshot residue on the shooter's hand.

I think it went down like this: Nathan let Gideon into the hotel room, Gideon stabbed him once and then stood back to watch Nathan bleed out, making sure he was dead. Then Gideon hustled right back to the party. No physical evidence on him in terms of blood. (Hmmm, though I suppose he had a lot of explaining to do about all the bruises on him from that fistfight with Eva's ex, Brett, one week earlier.)

I think Angus knew about Nathan all along and helped Gideon pull off the killing, maybe by driving him to and from the scene and helping him sneak in and out of both Nathan's hotel and the hotel where the party was. Certainly, he helped protect Eva before and continued to watch over her after, even after she left Gideon.

I think Angus even knows about Gideon having been sexually abused as a child. He worked for the Vidals back then, including driving Gideon to school. Maybe even then he was trying to protect Gideon as best he could while Gideon's mother tried to suppress the fact abuse ever happened. Once Gideon was old enough and financially secure enough to do so, he hired Angus because Angus was one of the few adults he trusted, and so trusted Angus to help protect Eva.

Entwined is supposed to be very much Gideon's story, and I'm really hoping the story fills in many blanks -- one of which is how Gideon took revenge upon the person who abused him.

This post has been promoted to an article

Gideon definitely killed Nathan, with his own hands, of that I'm convinced. But his motive wasn't revenge for Nathan raping Eva as a girl. His motive was Eva's life was in danger. It was methodically planned out, and you could make a case for it being justifiable homicide. (Well, maybe. He did take the law into his own hands, but the motive was to save an innocent life.)

From something Sylvia posted somewhere recently (I gotta start writing down a list of where she posts key insights) Sylvia made clear that Cary being beaten half to death made the danger level too high for Gideon's comfort. Even the cops later conceded Nathan likely was going to kill Eva sooner or later.

A single stab wound to the chest leaves little physical evidence. Repeatedly slashing someone gets blood on the perpetrator and can leave an evidence trail. So does physically struggling with a victim, which leaves scratches on the perpetrator and traces of his skin (and thus DNA) under the fingernails of the deceased. A gun leaves ballistic evidence, including gunshot residue on the shooter's hand.

I think it went down like this: Nathan let Gideon into the hotel room, Gideon stabbed him once and then stood back to watch Nathan bleed out, making sure he was dead. Then Gideon hustled right back to the party. No physical evidence on him in terms of blood. (Hmmm, though I suppose he had a lot of explaining to do about all the bruises on him from that fistfight with Eva's ex, Brett, one week earlier.)

I think Angus knew about Nathan all along and helped Gideon pull off the killing, maybe by driving him to and from the scene and helping him sneak in and out of both Nathan's hotel and the hotel where the party was. Certainly, he helped protect Eva before and continued to watch over her after, even after she left Gideon.

I think Angus even knows about Gideon having been sexually abused as a child. He worked for the Vidals back then, including driving Gideon to school. Maybe even then he was trying to protect Gideon as best he could while Gideon's mother tried to suppress the fact abuse ever happened. Once Gideon was old enough and financially secure enough to do so, he hired Angus because Angus was one of the few adults he trusted, and so trusted Angus to help protect Eva.

Entwined is supposed to be very much Gideon's story, and I'm really hoping the story fills in many blanks -- one of which is how Gideon took revenge upon the person who abused him.

Yes! I am so TOTALLy with you on your points. We are definitely on the same page! And i am happy with your first observation: that Gideon killed Nathan not for revenge but because he feared for the Eva's safety.

Which also illustrates that he has tremendous self control (being a very jealous person etc..also Angus said that so he must have seen many examples of this self control)

Which makes it all the more interesting, on the final question:what happened to the person who abused him, and Dr Lucas' role.

Hi everyone, I think it will be interesting to see just how in control Gideon has been or will be in the next book. On one hand the reader is lead to believe that Gideon is in complete control and on the other hand everytime Gideon is with Eva or their relationship is threatened, Gideon seems to loose control. I can hardly wait to see how this will be explained in the third book. I am not convinced that Gideon could have that much control to be able to separate his "supposed motives" for killing Nathan, if in fact he did kill Nathan.

I believe Gideon killed Nathan with one well aimed knife to the heart. I think because Gideon had time to plan out how he was going to do it, he was at his most controlled knowing it would have to be clean and quick. Nathan opens the door thinking Gideon came to pay him off and bam - knife through the heart - no screaming, no blood splatter on Gideon, no chance of possibly cuts on his hand from going crazy with the knife. He was in and out as planned. Plus he already had the chance to go crazy by hitting Nathan in his office until he bled - that wasn't Giddeon's blood on his shirt - I don't think?!

I just don't see Gideon letting Angus do it because Gideon would want complete control over this with zero chance of a mistake happening. Best way to do that is to do it yourself. And the passage that can be read under the book's cover, Eva says he has" proverbial blood on his hands" and when Eva says "it's too much" Gideon responds "what I did." I think that right there says he did it.

I also think that scene is just pages into EWY because I bet Gideon didn't open up to Eva even after she explained what the detective said, because he wouldn't trust it and I don't blame him. He probably sent Eva away because I detect a little bit of sarcasm when she says "it's dangerous for you to be here." Kind of like she's throwing his words back at him. And all the talk about how long it's been since they've been "together" why wouldn't they had just gotten it on at Gideon's place if everything was cool? I know Eva says "it's only been an hour since she'd been with him..." But, I don't think she means in the romantic sense of the world. Especially because they about to go feral on each other. EWY is gonna be very interesting!

I believe Gideon killed Nathan with one well aimed knife to the heart. I think because Gideon had time to plan out how he was going to do it, he was at his most controlled knowing it would have to be clean and quick. Nathan opens the door thinking Gideon came to pay him off and bam - knife through the heart - no screaming, no blood splatter on Gideon, no chance of possibly cuts on his hand from going crazy with the knife. He was in and out as planned. Plus he already had the chance to go crazy by hitting Nathan in his office until he bled - that wasn't Giddeon's blood on his shirt - I don't think?!

I just don't see Gideon letting Angus do it because Gideon would want complete control over this with zero chance of a mistake happening. Best way to do that is to do it yourself. And the passage that can be read under the book's cover, Eva says he has" proverbial blood on his hands" and when Eva says "it's too much" Gideon responds "what I did." I think that right there says he did it.

I also think that scene is just pages into EWY because I bet Gideon didn't open up to Eva even after she explained what the detective said, because he wouldn't trust it and I don't blame him. He probably sent Eva away because I detect a little bit of sarcasm when she says "it's dangerous for you to be here." Kind of like she's throwing his words back at him. And all the talk about how long it's been since they've been "together" why wouldn't they had just gotten it on at Gideon's place if everything was cool? I know Eva says "it's only been an hour since she'd been with him..." But, I don't think she means in the romantic sense of the world. Especially because they about to go feral on each other. EWY is gonna be very interesting!

Good points----you all bring up things that I hadn't thought about...

Relected in You ends with Gideon and Eva embracing outside his apartment. I think you're right he likely sent her away immediately rather than let her in. 

But I wonder whether the reason why he sent her away almost instantly was because she'd been followed -- followed by the police as well as followed by Gideon's own security continuing to watch over her. That Gideon's security immediately warned him the cops were now tailing Eva. This would make sense if my theory is right: the cops are laying a confession trap for Gideon using Eva as the bait.

In the excerpt, the scene is one hour later at her apartment. He's shown up disguised: wearing sweatpants and an old, worn college sweatshirt, a baseball cap shielding much of his face. She suspects he managed to sneak into her apartment building (he does own the place.) Maybe he knows the police have her place under surveillance, but he needs to talk with her so much he risks going there anyway. The "dangerous to be here" could mean danger of being spotted.

I have seen a few posts that talk about Angus helping Gideon with the killing of Nathan.  Although I think that Angus WOULD have helped Gideon with Nathan's killing, we have to remember that Angus had taken Eva to their Psychiatrist appointment and then Gideon was supposed to meet her at the appointment but ended up standing her up due to the party.  I could be wrong, but I am assuming that Angus would have stayed at the appointment and waited for Eva so that he could take her home.  With that said, I am not sure that Angus would have been able to help Eva, since he would have been at the appointment waiting for her.  Just a thought...

On the Thursday night of the murder, Angus drove Eva from work to Dr. Petersen's office then from Dr. Petersen's office straight home. So she had an unbroken alibi - coworkers, driver, therapist, driver again and finally roommate (by then, Cary was home from the hospital). She had every single minute Thursday night into Friday morning covered, not being alone for an instant.

However, at quarter to five Friday morning, when Eva left home to go pick her Dad up from his red-eye flight to the airport, Angus was not who was waiting to drive her to the airport. It was Gideon's other driver, Raul. So where was Angus? With Gideon, I'll bet, as part of Gideon's alibi. My guess is right after he dropped Eva off at her apartment, he met Gideon somewhere near Nathan's hotel.

What I want to know is how long Gideon was with Corrine that night. Certainly during the party, but did they go somewhere else afterward?