Crime of Passion

Crossfire

I believe Gideon killed Nathan with one well aimed knife to the heart. I think because Gideon had time to plan out how he was going to do it, he was at his most controlled knowing it would have to be clean and quick. Nathan opens the door thinking Gideon came to pay him off and bam - knife through the heart - no screaming, no blood splatter on Gideon, no chance of possibly cuts on his hand from going crazy with the knife. He was in and out as planned. Plus he already had the chance to go crazy by hitting Nathan in his office until he bled - that wasn't Giddeon's blood on his shirt - I don't think?!

I just don't see Gideon letting Angus do it because Gideon would want complete control over this with zero chance of a mistake happening. Best way to do that is to do it yourself. And the passage that can be read under the book's cover, Eva says he has" proverbial blood on his hands" and when Eva says "it's too much" Gideon responds "what I did." I think that right there says he did it.

I also think that scene is just pages into EWY because I bet Gideon didn't open up to Eva even after she explained what the detective said, because he wouldn't trust it and I don't blame him. He probably sent Eva away because I detect a little bit of sarcasm when she says "it's dangerous for you to be here." Kind of like she's throwing his words back at him. And all the talk about how long it's been since they've been "together" why wouldn't they had just gotten it on at Gideon's place if everything was cool? I know Eva says "it's only been an hour since she'd been with him..." But, I don't think she means in the romantic sense of the world. Especially because they about to go feral on each other. EWY is gonna be very interesting!

I'm with you on this! Can't wait to find out what happened after that scene at his apartment. She went home right away? What did he say!? Oh dear, got to read it again...

Hi everyone, I have been thinking about the points that you all have been making and most of them make sense. The one thing I struggle with is the theory that Angus knew Gideon was being sexually abused. Somehow I don't buy that. Just think about it for a minute, could you as a human being, sit back and watch a child be repeatedly raped. My respect for Angus would go straight into the toilet. Now I could potentially buy that scenario if Gideon confessed the abuse to Angus and the "unknown abuser" wound up underneath the Bentley's front tires.....you know something along the line of .."I am so sorry I ran over the therapist/Grad Student/Psychologist.....(the yet to be named abuser) Mrs. Vidal. I really have to get the brakes checked. I have no idea how they possibly could have failed...(wink, wink)." But Sylvia did not play the story out that way. I guess we will have to wait and see. I also don't think, as strange as it may seem, that Gideon would involve Angus. Seeing as that Angus is the family chauffeur, his car would be well known and recognizable and as such Angus couldn't just come and go as he pleased. He too, would have to have an alibi. This entire scenario rests upon the fact that Angus, was parked directly out in front of the Kingman Vodka Party, would have have been seen by the other Chauffeurs and wouldn't have any unaccounted mileage on the limo. If Gideon had requested Angus's services then Angus would have to account for the mileage on the speedometer and his absence from being out front of the party scene. If Gideon did this...if...he would have done it alone. If he got help it wouldn't have been cut and dry. Nothing ever is in these books. Way to go Sylvia! What does everyone else think?

On the Thursday night of the murder, Angus drove Eva from work to Dr. Petersen's office then from Dr. Petersen's office straight home. So she had an unbroken alibi - coworkers, driver, therapist, driver again and finally roommate (by then, Cary was home from the hospital). She had every single minute Thursday night into Friday morning covered, not being alone for an instant.

However, at quarter to five Friday morning, when Eva left home to go pick her Dad up from his red-eye flight to the airport, Angus was not who was waiting to drive her to the airport. It was Gideon's other driver, Raul. So where was Angus? With Gideon, I'll bet, as part of Gideon's alibi. My guess is right after he dropped Eva off at her apartment, he met Gideon somewhere near Nathan's hotel.

What I want to know is how long Gideon was with Corrine that night. Certainly during the party, but did they go somewhere else afterward? 

Hi LN Cronan,

You make some really good points. I wonder myself how much time Gideon spent with Corinne. I have to wonder how Sylvia will address this topic in the next book. I would think that if she were questioned, Corinne would have sought legal counsel as well. She doesn't strike me as a foolish woman.

Hi everyone,

I have been thinking about the points that you all have been making and most of them make sense. The one thing I struggle with is the theory that Angus knew Gideon was being sexually abused. Somehow I don't buy that. Just think about it for a minute, could you as a human being, sit back and watch a child be repeatedly raped. My respect for Angus would go straight into the toilet. Now I could potentially buy that scenario if Gideon confessed the abuse to Angus and the "unknown abuser" wound up underneath the Bentley's front tires.....you know something along the line of .."I am so sorry I ran over the therapist/Grad Student/Psychologist.....(the yet to be named abuser) Mrs. Vidal. I really have to get the brakes checked. I have no idea how they possibly could have failed...(wink, wink)." But Sylvia did not play the story out that way. I guess we will have to wait and see.

I also don't think, as strange as it may seem, that Gideon would involve Angus. Seeing as that Angus is the family chauffeur, his car would be well known and recognizable and as such Angus couldn't just come and go as he pleased. He too, would have to have an alibi. This entire scenario rests upon the fact that Angus, was parked directly out in front of the Kingman Vodka Party, would have have been seen by the other Chauffeurs and wouldn't have any unaccounted mileage on the limo. If Gideon had requested Angus's services then Angus would have to account for the mileage on the speedometer and his absence from being out front of the party scene. If Gideon did this...if...he would have done it alone. If he got help it wouldn't have been cut and dry. Nothing ever is in these books. Way to go Sylvia! What does everyone else think?

I dont think he knew about the abuse. Maybe just that he was going thru a hard time.

You 're better than me! I just grab my ipad and re read the books! My timeline is completely whacked too, cos I jump in and skp sections! And yes, I've been baking and cooking as well!!

Hi LN Cronan,

You make some really good points. I wonder myself how much time Gideon spent with Corinne. I have to wonder how Sylvia will address this topic in the next book. I would think that if she were questioned, Corinne would have sought legal counsel as well. She doesn't strike me as a foolish woman.

Dont want Corrine to be too involved. Maybe he Gideon was just killing two birds with one stone: She needs a friend and He needs an alibi. But like Eva said, he wouldn't have led her on. ( just as she wouldnt lead Brett on)

Gideon couldn't trust Corrine with his own dark secrets even when he was engaged to her all those years ago. No way would he trust her with the even darker secret of who Nathan was and why he had to die. Especially because he never wanted Eva to know any details about what happened to him as a boy and that he committed Nathan's murder. To tell someone else, especially Corrine, was to risk Eva learning those secrets.

He took Corrine to the party (and took her to dinner two nights before) for one reason only: so that he was photographed in her company. Corrine is part of his cover story that he had left Eva and part of his alibi for his whereabouts the night Nathan died.

He'll have simply asked her if she'd like to spend a little time with him. And she'll have jumped at the chance, no questions asked.

While he and Eva were apart, he began trusting Eva more, especially about his abuse history. He worked up the courage to finally open up to her after she worked up the courage to go after his mother and Dr. Lucas for their roles in sweeping the abuse under the rug. But still, he never wanted her to know he was a killer. His first reaction to her finding out from the cops was despair.

Good points being made here. Everything said brought up one question in my mind - why would Gideon bring Angus into his adult world and trust him to protect him when he left everything from his past within the Vidal home behind? I still don't think Angus helped with Nathan but I now think he did help with getting rid of Gideon's abuser. There would have to be a special relationship there for Gideon to trust him the way he does. I can't see Gideon "hiring him away when the time came" if Angus knew about the abuse and said or did nothing. And that comment he made about Gideon "he knows when to stop" gave some insight into Angus knowing how violent Gideon could be and when he stops - something he would just about have to witness to know. I think Angus was probably Gideon's only support when he was younger. Just how supportive he was remains to be seen. Is it June yet?

I totally agree with you. I think Angus had no idea what happen to Gideon until Gideon told his mother, the I think Angus was the only one that believed Gideon and with that go the most absolute trust from Gideon. I don't believe Angus had anything to do with Nathan... Gideon wouldn't want to involve anyone.

Hi everyone,

I have been thinking about the points that you all have been making and most of them make sense. The one thing I struggle with is the theory that Angus knew Gideon was being sexually abused. Somehow I don't buy that. Just think about it for a minute, could you as a human being, sit back and watch a child be repeatedly raped. My respect for Angus would go straight into the toilet. Now I could potentially buy that scenario if Gideon confessed the abuse to Angus and the "unknown abuser" wound up underneath the Bentley's front tires.....you know something along the line of .."I am so sorry I ran over the therapist/Grad Student/Psychologist.....(the yet to be named abuser) Mrs. Vidal. I really have to get the brakes checked. I have no idea how they possibly could have failed...(wink, wink)." But Sylvia did not play the story out that way. I guess we will have to wait and see.

I also don't think, as strange as it may seem, that Gideon would involve Angus. Seeing as that Angus is the family chauffeur, his car would be well known and recognizable and as such Angus couldn't just come and go as he pleased. He too, would have to have an alibi. This entire scenario rests upon the fact that Angus, was parked directly out in front of the Kingman Vodka Party, would have have been seen by the other Chauffeurs and wouldn't have any unaccounted mileage on the limo. If Gideon had requested Angus's services then Angus would have to account for the mileage on the speedometer and his absence from being out front of the party scene. If Gideon did this...if...he would have done it alone. If he got help it wouldn't have been cut and dry. Nothing ever is in these books. Way to go Sylvia! What does everyone else think?

I totally agree with you. I think Angus had no idea what happen to Gideon until Gideon told his mother, the I think Angus was the only one that believed Gideon and with that go the most absolute trust from Gideon. I don't believe Angus had anything to do with Nathan... Gideon wouldn't want to involve anyone.

I like your Angus theory that he may have been the only person under the Vidal roof who believed Gideon, thus earning Gideon's absolute trust. This makes sense that Gideon kept him in his life even after he became independent of his family. And remember, Angus isn't simply Gideon's chief driver - he's also Gideon's bodyguard.

As soon as Nathan showed up in the background, Gideon quietly started having Eva protected without her knowledge, especially by Angus. I'm sure at some point Gideon confided in Angus about Nathan, maybe as soon as Gideon learned Nathan had come to New York. Almost certainly once Gideon found out Nathan had beaten Cary half to death (and so Gideon now knew Eva's life was in danger.)

If there was anyone Gideon could trust, it would be Angus, and I think with the stakes so high, he would have told Angus the truth.

I think it make lots of sense. Has a part on the book that Angus tells Eva that Gideon have a lot in his mind. So I do think that Angus knows about Nathan, and knows that Gideon is planning something, maybe knows about killing, but kept the distance because Gideon asked for and he respect Gideon.

Oh my, can't wait for EWY....

I like your Angus theory that he may have been the only person under the Vidal roof who believed Gideon, thus earning Gideon's absolute trust. This makes sense that Gideon kept him in his life even after he became independent of his family. And remember, Angus isn't simply Gideon's chief driver - he's also Gideon's bodyguard.

As soon as Nathan showed up in the background, Gideon quietly started having Eva protected without her knowledge, especially by Angus. I'm sure at some point Gideon confided in Angus about Nathan, maybe as soon as Gideon learned Nathan had come to New York. Almost certainly once Gideon found out Nathan had beaten Cary half to death (and so Gideon now knew Eva's life was in danger.)

If there was anyone Gideon could trust, it would be Angus, and I think with the stakes so high, he would have told Angus the truth.

Hi ladies/gentlemen, That's exactly my point. If Angus was Gideon's chauffeur and bodyguard wouldn't he have had some responsibility in protecting Gideon from the abuse? What seems to be in question here is; did Angus know that Gideon was being sexually abused or even abused for that fact and when did he find out? The answers to those questions will put a lot of things into perspective for me and maybe for many of us. Committing a crime is one thing, but spilling your secrets of said crime to someone else is an entirely different kettle of fish. For a man who is so totally in control, I am not sure that Gideon would extend that kind of information to another human being. Placing that kind of burden on someone is one thing, but having to rely on someone to keep their mouth shut would be something else altogether. I am not sure that Gideon would be emotionally ready to extend that kind trust or rely on another human being like that. This is a man who is literally the master of his own domain. He doesn't need anyone or is dependent on anyone for anything! That is the way he has designed his life. I also think that it may be very easy to jump to some conclusions without having all the facts first. When I read the ending of the book and all of the snippets, I didn't think that Gideon felt despair...I don't have enough information to make that conclusion...yet. :) Somehow I feel like the mouse in Sylvia's well designed mouse maze....I just keep wandering along looking for the crumbs! :)

Good points being made here. Everything said brought up one question in my mind - why would Gideon bring Angus into his adult world and trust him to protect him when he left everything from his past within the Vidal home behind? I still don't think Angus helped with Nathan but I now think he did help with getting rid of Gideon's abuser. There would have to be a special relationship there for Gideon to trust him the way he does. I can't see Gideon "hiring him away when the time came" if Angus knew about the abuse and said or did nothing. And that comment he made about Gideon "he knows when to stop" gave some insight into Angus knowing how violent Gideon could be and when he stops - something he would just about have to witness to know. I think Angus was probably Gideon's only support when he was younger. Just how supportive he was remains to be seen. Is it June yet?

Hi Mrsmajessick,

That is a good point. I never thought that Angus may have had something to do with eliminating Gideon's abuser. That would certainly place Angus at the top of Gideon's most trusted list. I can hardly wait for June! :)