Entwined With You Snippets

LN Cronan

Snippet # 1

“What the was I supposed to do, Eva? I didn’t know you existed.†Gideon’s voice deepened, roughened. “If I’d known you were out there, I would’ve hunted you down. I wouldn’t have waited a second to find you. But I didn’t know, and I settled for less. So did you. We both wasted ourselves on the wrong people.â€

*(from a conversation about past relationships) Sylvia later clarified so people wouldn't think present day Gideon and Eva were settling for others.

I'm hoping this is a tiny piece of an honest conversation Gideon and Eva have about both Corrine and Brett, especially what went on starting with that terrible week and what's been going on since.

On Gideon's side, he never defended himself for taking Corrine out that week. Never tried to convince Eva it meant nothing (he desperately needed her to assume the opposite). Never denied even the worse Eva accused him of, sleeping with Corrine. He couldn't. His hands were tied. Er, make that lips were sealed.

Gideon doesn't need to defend himself anymore about why he started taking Corrine out again that week. Eva now knows why - it was for his cover. She'll trust him now. But she also deserves to get a full explanation of what exactly had been going on with Corrine the weeks she and Gideon were apart. And deserves to know his plan is moving forward, especially if he needs to continue to keep up the back-with-Corrine ruse if he has to because the coast isn't clear for him and Eva. Remember, this is part of the "plan." Now Eva is playing an active role in said plan. So she now has a need-to-know basis of what Gideon's going to do to manipulate what other people think.

On Eva's side, she should ease Gideon's mind about what the real deal is with Brett. That issue should have been laid to rest with the fight Gideon and Eva had right after the concert Friday night. But the following Tuesday, Eva went out to lunch with Brett. Not refused to see him when he showed up unannounced at the Crossfire. Went out with him. To spite Gideon. And Gideon never did get an explanation of what Eva/Brett talked about nor where they left things standing. He was in no position to demand answers of Eva, not when he couldn't offer an explanation about Corrine.

We the readers do know about a piece of Brett/Eva gossip out there though. Because Eva found out about it. Cary told her about it. This was two weeks to the day after Gideon pulled away. Cary found an online transcript of an interview Brett gave a Florida radio station one day earlier. "He was asked if there's really an Eva out there and he said yes there is, and he recently reconnected with her and hopes to make it work out a second time." I can only imagine what went through Gideon's mind. We know what he did the day after that interview hit the Internet. Broke his wall of absolute no-contact, put the promise ring back on Eva's hand, and told her to "wait."

By the end of Reflected, she did agree to wait. But the two of them have not yet even begun to talk about things that happened while they were apart.

I've got this fantasy about what went through Gideon's mind, knowing a part of Eva is still physically attracted to Brett and that she and Brett spent a lunch hour together talking about God only knows what.

.... reconnected ... "What's THAT supposed to mean. Just how did they 'reconnect' when she went to lunch with him. Does she plan to continue to see him to spite me for seeing Corrine. Did she tell him to come visit her as soon as the concert tour is over?"

.... hopes to make it work out a second time ... "No way am I letting him kiss my girlfriend again, touch her, go anywhere near her. Oh wait, she dumped me and thinks I'm sleeping with Corrine. What's he planning to do when the concert tour ends. Come see her again. Try convincing her to take him back. Kiss her again so she can kiss him back .... Oh God, will she sleep with him to get even with me? (Gideon has a panic attack here.) .... I've got to do something. I can't go back to her, because it's not safe. Maybe if I give her back her ring and ask her to wait, she'll do it. I gotta try. I just can't stand by and let Brett Kline get her back."

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Throwing out for discussion the act both Eva and Gideon are now doing to fool the cops. The basis for this is both snippet 7 www.sylviaday.com/2013/02/07/entwined-snippet-7/ as well as www.sylviaday.com/2013/01/23/entwined-snippet-6/ These are the scenes involving Eva having a wild night out on the town.

Something I read into this is that Eva has seriously upped the ante of her public persona of "new Eva." When she first emerged from her shell, it started with a quiet evening at a lounge with her mother, stepfather, and her roommate/best friend. Now she's out with the girls clubbing, getting drunk and leading men on. Is she acting this way in public, because the cops have turned up the heat, are trying to trap them, and so she's gotta work harder at the act she's sooooooo over Gideon? She couldn't have been in love anyway if only a couple of weeks later, she's acting like she's out to get laid.

If this is true, is the reverse is it also true Gideon, because the cops are trying to trap him in his lie, up the ante on his Corrine cover? Fool people into thinking things with Corrine have gotten really serious these past few weeks? A couple of examples I'm throwing out about things he could do: arrange for a photographer to get a candid shot of him kissing Corrine (like he once had with with Eva, the day she agreed to be his girlfriend). Maybe messing up her lipstick and hair in the back of his car, so Corrine emerges looking freshly you-know-what.

I mean, this is Corrine we're talking about. She'd love that, even if all that really happened was one kiss for tabloid posterity. She'd let everyone assume she just got laid. But she wouldn't pressure Gideon for more physically. He's the dominant. He controls any sexual activity. Privately, she'd patiently wait for him to slowly move things further along over time. Thus for now Gideon can get away with just a kiss and not face angry recrimination from her he's toying with her.

OK, I can hear the arguments now from some of the regulars:

• Gideon would never lead Corrine to believe by the way he's acting he's decided he wants her back.
  • Never lie by omission to allow her think that because he's no longer sleeping with Eva and is letting himself get photographed out in public with her (Corrine), they're going somewhere.
  • Never let her assume he's glad she's getting divorced, and though he says he just wants to be a friend she can rely on while she's going through a rough time, he's not exactly behaving like just some other friend. He's frequently talking with her on the phone. Took her out for a quiet dinner, just the two of them. Brought her, not his "girlfriend" to an important work-related party that just happened to be at a hotel with important sentimental value to their old relationship. Had him meet her at his office so they could go somewhere together right after work. (And this is just the stuff we know about from Eva's point of view. There's probably more, but Eva stopped snooping online after that &%$! pad hotel picture.)
  • Oh not Gideon, he'd never do something like that to Corrine, because it would break her heart.
  • He did once love her in his own way and still cares as a friend.
  • Thinks it would be cruel to cut off contact with her when she's going through a rough time.
  • Feels guilty about the fact she still loves him.
  • The only reason he's doing this to Corrine is because everything rests on fooling the police he loves her, not Eva, and so had no motive to kill Nathan.

OK, I'm going to make the same arguments, but substitute "Eva" for "Corrine."

• Gideon would never lead Eva to believe he's decided he doesn't want her anymore. (He most certainly did.)
  • Never lie by omission to allow her to think what they had is gone for good. (By not denying Eva's accusations he can't handle the Nathan pictures, he let her believe it was true the awful thing she claimed to believe: he can't bear to look at her body anymore.)
  • Never allow her to continue to think he can't break the hold Corrine has over him. Now that Corrine's getting divorced and he's done sleeping with her (Eva), Corrine and him have gone from being friends to being lovers again. (Eva's worst insecurity about Corrine is that she's always had some hold on Gideon. And Eva can clearly see Corrine left her husband in France and returned to New York in order to get Gideon back. Because of the hotel picture, Eva firmly believed he'd started sleeping with Corrine again but didn't have the courage to end it with her beforehand)
  • Oh not Gideon, he'd never do something like that to Eva, because it would break her heart.
  • He's madly in love with her.
  • Wants to spend every minute being with her.
  • And feels guilty every time he makes her cry.
  • But he never told her the only reason he's doing what he is to her is because everything now rests on fooling the police he doesn't love her.

He spent five straight days of treating her badly in order to push her away. It ended with her finally having enough - she called him on the phone, said terrible things, broke down in tears, told him she was finished, then hung up on him. He proceeded to spend the next eight days having absolutely no contact with her whatsoever. By not having any contact at all, he allowed her to believe every last awful insecure thing she said on the phone was true. Because he denied nothing.

I think the only thing Gideon would never do at this point is sleep with Corrine, because that really would break Eva's heart for good. However, he'll use Corrine as ruthlessly as he needs to in order for he and Eva to be able to be together again. If he could foruce himself to hurt Eva as much as he did, in order to save her life, he's certainly got the capacity to hurt Corrine badly if that's what it will take for him to be with Eva forever. But no longer will he lie by omission to Eva. He might live a lie with Corrine, but now with Eva he'll always let her know the real truth.

And the discussion starts nooooooooooow.

I agree with Gideon will do whatever he has to do to meet his long-term goal which is a life with Eva. Saying that though Eva is a jealous person, she knows the deal, but that doesn't mean it doesn't bother her that Gideon is out with Corrine constantly. Gideon is walking a very tight rope, I think he is aware of that and he needs to know that Eva can give just as bad as she gets. This is obviously where Brett will come in, in EWY... no?

I am so up in the air about Corrine. There is no way that Gideon has told her Eva's issues. I think he was upfront with her in regards to his needing a companion to accompany him to events. He probably did tell her that things with Eva weren't working out or they were going through a rough patch and were taking a break. Corrine sees this as an opportunity to be there for Gideon and to remind him of what they had. She will wait however long it takes for him to come around and realize he still has feelings for her. She's spent years in an unhappy marriage trying to forget Gideon. Now I'm sure the papers are in a frezy about them being back together and she probably assumes it's only a matter of time before it is reality. 

^^^ THIS ^^^ What Kirsten said.

It's karmic justice, too, for her playing dirty tricks on Eva, trying to fool Eva into thinking Gideon is sleeping with her. Now Gideon is fooling the world into thinking he's seeing Corrine again. I don't feel bad for Corrine. 

On page 280 in BTY:

Gideon says: "I've always used the hotel."

Eva says: "That's the only place you've had sex? Before me?"

"The only place I've had consensual sex," he said quietly, "before you."

So he took Corrine to the same hotel..

Do you think that Gideon was a virgin before Corrine?

And where did he get all his sexual expertise?

When did Corrine come into his life?

I can't see her being his first.

Hi LNCronan,

I read your posting and you are getting warmer. Your theory still hasn't accounted for Corinne's reactions to this entire situation. I stated before and I will state it again, that surely Corinne must have know that something was off between her and Gideon. If you recall from Gideon's perspective, sex between the two of them was lukewarm at best. Every time they were in together, Gideon couldn't wait to be away from her. Again I ask you, do you think that Corinne didn't notice Gideon's nonverbal communication. His actions must have spoken volumes with her.

If I recall, Gideon and Corinne were supposed to spend the weekend in the hotel together and not just sex. No sooner had they gotten to the hotel room, Gideon realized that he wasn't going to be able to spend an entire weekend with her. He made a lame excuse and left. Do you think that Corinne wasn't putting all these little incidents together?

I just one other quick observation to make. Throughout this relationship Gideon has allowed Eva to jump to the wrong conclusions each and every single time because of his lies of omission. Could it be that Gideon, yet again, allowed Eva to jump to the wrong conclusion about him having killed Nathan, in order to spare Eva more suffering? Maybe knowing that the real killer was her mother/or Stanton/or Clancy, etc. would be too painful for her to bear, so he let's her believe that it was him who killed Nathan? What do you think? What does everyone else think?

BTY page327

Gideon says: "I met her (Corinne) my first year at Columbia....

When she pursued me, I let myself be caught and she became my first consensual sexual experience."

Do you think that Gideon had a non-consensual experience with a woman?

I guess I thought that his only non-consensual sexual experience was with the male graduate student...

hmmm...

When did Corrine come into his life?

I can't see her being his first.

Megan, from Bared to You, the night Eva met Corrine at a fundraiser as was blindsided Gideon used to be engaged to her. In the conversation later at Eva's, where Gideon explained a lot of background:

"I met her my first year at Columbia. I noticed her, of course. She's beautiful and sweet and never had an unkind word to say about anyone. When she pursed me, I let myself be caught, and she became my first consensual sexual experience."

I wonder if Corrine hoped during the party that afterward, she and Gideon would go upstairs. Old time's sake? I think not. What I think happened is after the party was over, he left with Corrine and had either Angus or Raul drive them both home together. She lives around the corner from Gideon.

Possible theory: Gideon planned to keep stretching my alibi past the party into the rest of the night. Gives a much larger safety margin. So maybe he, being the "friend in time of need" apologized to Corrine for not having any time to talk with her at the work party. Starts listening sympathetically in the car. She invites him up. He goes up, but they spend hours just talking. Her doorman and the downstairs desk person could verify, if they were ever asked, he left sometime in the middle of the night. He walked around the corner home.

Hi GiGi!!! Maybe Gideon's still lying by omission and it was Stanton/Monica all the time. You're captain of Team Gideon Didn't Do It. Love this!! We'll all see June 4 when we all read Entwined in one setting.

Nowhere do the book say anything about Gideon spending a weekend with Corrine. He wouldn't even spend an entire night with her, even while they were engaged. Because of his nightmares. He had no intention of telling her about it. When she finally broke the engagement, he was relieved, because of the whole sleeping in the same bed issue. Separate bedrooms as husband and wife wouldn't cut it.

Eva's the only woman Gideon dared sleep alongside. And his fears about his nightmares were justified. Not only did Eva witness stuff he felt deep shame about, but he found out the hard way how violent his nightmares can be. After he nearly raped Eva, he insisted they not sleep alongside one another. Even with the medication and being treated by Dr. Petersen, he was leery. Even in North Carolina. They made love in the beautiful bed, but they slept separately.

Hi LNCronan,

I read your posting and you are getting warmer. Your theory still hasn't accounted for Corinne's reactions to this entire situation. I stated before and I will state it again, that surely Corinne must have know that something was off between her and Gideon. If you recall from Gideon's perspective, sex between the two of them was lukewarm at best. Every time they were in together, Gideon couldn't wait to be away from her. Again I ask you, do you think that Corinne didn't notice Gideon's nonverbal communication. His actions must have spoken volumes with her.

If I recall, Gideon and Corinne were supposed to spend the weekend in the hotel together and not just sex. No sooner had they gotten to the hotel room, Gideon realized that he wasn't going to be able to spend an entire weekend with her. He made a lame excuse and left. Do you think that Corinne wasn't putting all these little incidents together?

I just one other quick observation to make. Throughout this relationship Gideon has allowed Eva to jump to the wrong conclusions each and every single time because of his lies of omission. Could it be that Gideon, yet again, allowed Eva to jump to the wrong conclusion about him having killed Nathan, in order to spare Eva more suffering? Maybe knowing that the real killer was her mother/or Stanton/or Clancy, etc. would be too painful for her to bear, so he let's her believe that it was him who killed Nathan? What do you think? What does everyone else think?

I think Gideon did it, probably pretty much the way Detective Graves said he did. I also think Gideon and Eva are being careful, but I don't really think the cops are pursuing it as eagerly as they were when it first happened. I think Detective Graves won't at least, but it is still an unsolved crime so they will still be taking tips and clues. But a precinct in NY would probably have many crimes to investigate and since Nathan was a crazy low life who would have killed Eva, I don't think the police will be actively investigating. But there are some wanting to take Gideon down, whether they are bitter over things Gideon did or even someone still mad about his father. I haven't thought about this next part before until just now, but maybe Nathan was working with someone who wil suspect Gideon killed Nate.  Maybe Gideon and Eva are being cautious so no one in the press starts to link together the murder of some random guy at a hotel to Eva and Gideon thus bringing her abuse out front and center. There are so many possibilitles, and I can't wait to read all about it.

Hi LNCronan,

I was just wondering what your theory is specifically considering Corinne? Do you really think that Corinne thinks that she has a shot with Gideon again? Or do you think that her suspicion meter is registering? I have stated on several occasions that I believe that Corinne knew that her relationship with Gideon wasn't healthy...to say the least.

Look at Corinne's timeline with Gideon:

1. Corinne chased Gideon.

2. Corinne caught Gideon or should I say that Gideon allowed himself to be caught.

3. I wonder if Corinne is the one who instigated sex...hmm.

4. Corinne instigated spending the night at the hotel and yet Gideon called it an early night and left (you are correct, there was no weekend planned. I confused the two.).

5. After a year of this type of relationship Corinne called it quits in hopes that Gideon would chase after her-he didn't.

Now all of a sudden, after Gideon "breaks up" with Eva, he begins seeing Corinne again. Is the reader supposed to believe that Corinne learned nothing from her first go around with Gideon? It seems that Gideon has completely fallen back into his original routine with Corinne (yes I know it is a cover up and that he is dating Corinne for an alibi). What I don't understand is why Corinne is falling for it? Your theory hasn't accounted for any of Corinne's reactions.

Your alpha male theory doesn't make sense because it was Corinne who instigated the entire relationship Gideon not the other way around. That was completely confirmed when Corinne ended the engagement and Gideon let her walk away. Gideon himself stated that it was “flattering†to have someone love him, but that he didn’t really love her. That is why Corinne ended the engagement to Gideon (whether she knew it consciously or not). So what is different about this time around? Do you have any thoughts? Everyone feel free to jump in. :)

Hi Tazztunes! You bring up a great point: even if Detective Graves is sincere she and her partner are backing off, somebody else might not let the matter drop. Either because of a grudge against what Gideon's father did, or because Nathan had an accomplice.

Geoffrey Cross, Gideon's late father, hurt a lot of people with his Ponzi scheme. It would have been a lot of rich, powerful people he hurt too, hurt them financially (and thus their power, because money is power.) It's not everyday investors who get burned by major financiers running Ponzi schemes. It's rich people interested in getting richer faster. They hand over the money, but as long as the statements (doctored) claim good profits, the investors don't look to closely nor question what's going on. So when the house of cards collapses, they get hurt. Some get ruined, those who become greedy about the too-good-to-be-true criminal financier, so they invest their whole nest eggs with him instead of diversifying like smart, responsible investors.

It was more than 20 years ago that Geoffrey Cross was found to be a fraud, a fraud who escaped justice by taking the suicide route out. (Gideon was 5 years old then, now he's 28). Now Gideon is worth $12.5 billion dollars. He's one of the richest men in the world, and he didn't get there as a financier either. From the ground up, he created an empire of entertainment companies and major real estate holdings. Let him escape justice too? For murder, a crime far worse than fraud? Someone who want to see him go down. Murder one equals life no parole.

At the very least, Gideon and Eva would need to be cautious for a time just to make sure the detectives have backed off instead of trying to trap them. But if there's more than just those detectives involved, Gideon and Eva will need to keep under the radar for some time.

Corinne may be a smart woman, but when it comes to Gideon she doesn't think straight or rationally.

Corinne is obsessed with Gideon and will take him anyway she can get him. To be honest, I would probably take Gideon any way I could get him, too.    LOL!

I believe Corinne is taking it slow with Gideon this time around and she is letting Gideon take the lead in their relationship instead of her calling the shots.

While in Paris,I believe that Corinne thought long and hard about her relationship with Gideon and how she would do things differently.

Morning, GiGi! To get into my Corrine theories, I'll start with another list of known facts. Again, keeping in mind this isn't the whole story -- only what Eva knows, and thus we readers know.

There's a lot of crucial information toward the end of Bared to You and near the beginning of Reflected in You. This includes three crucial scenes in which Eva (and thus we readers) are directly told things by Gideon, Corrine, and Magdalene.

Bared to You, starting on page 309, is when Eva is blindsided by the existence of Corrine. She and Gideon are at a fundraiser dinner. Corrine shows up unannounced. Magdalene, who know Corrine, is at the dinner too.

Bared to You starting on page 324. Eva pulled one of her "runners" by walking out on the dinner. Gideon has chased Eva to her apartment. He has a serious talk with Eva about Corrine. (IMHO this is one of the times Gideon has been most forthcoming about something in his past.)

Reflected, starting on page 23. The next morning, Magdalene phones Eva at work. For whatever scheming motive Magdalene has, she gossips to Eva about Corrine.

These three scenes together plus additional tidbits throughout both books are the source of the stuff below:

Here's the basics about Corrine:

• She is an exquisitely beautiful brunette, and one of her most noticeable features is waist-length black hair.
  • She and Gideon met at college when he was a freshman. She chased him. He let himself be caught. She becomes his first lover. The only place they've had sex is the hotel Gideon throughout the years later used as a $%#! pad to sleep with other women.
  • She was the one to ask Gideon to marry her, not the other way around, and she's the one who broke the engagement.
  • She claims she did it because of his possessiveness scaring her, but in hindsight she realized it had been a sign he cared so deeply.
  • Gideon later claims he thinks Corrine asked him to marry him to move their relationship to a new level (he thins Corrine hoped he'd start spending whole nights with her, not simply having hotel sex)
  • When that didn't work, a year later she broke off the engagement. Gideon thinks it was an effort to make him work hard to keep her. It backfired. He was relieved, because he could never share a bedroom with Corrine (the nightmares she knew nothing about and he didn't want her ever finding out.)
  • After she ended the engagement, she married a rich Frenchman and moved to Europe. Now she's divorcing him.
  • She's been back and forth between France and New York very recently. She just moved back for good. 
  • Corrine confesses to Eva (while Gideon's off getting drinks) she still loves Gideon and thinks the biggest mistake of her life was walking away.
  • Gideon admits to Eva he knows Corrine still loves her and feels guilty, especially because he suspects the reason the marriage didn't work is Corrine never got over him.
  • Corrine did know about Eva before the dinner. Gideon's been talking to her on the phone about how much Eva means to him. Corrine's been calling him daily.
  • Eva obviously didn't know about Corrine - got blindsided. Gideon goes off with Corrine immediately in order to make sure she keeps her mouth shut so he, not Corrine, is the one who tells Eva about their shared past.
  • While Gideon's off doing this, Magdalene is left with Eva, and she lets the cat out of the bag.
  • The night of Gideon and Eva's first date weeks before, which ended badly over Gideon's headtrip about the sex he had with Eva, Gideon left Eva to go see Corrine, who was in town.
  • Corrine sits next to Gideon and Eva during the meal, and he talks with Corrine the whole time. Magdalene eavesdrops, but Eva doesn't listen to the Gideon/Corrine conversation.
  • When monopolizing Gideon at dinner, Corrine suggests lots of places he could take Eva to see (Eva's still new to town.)
  • Magdalene claims to Eva Corrine's motive was playing the old "remember when" game. The places Corrine was suggesting Gideon take Eva were places that held memories for Corrine and Gideon is what Magdalene accused Corrine of.
  • Magdalene claims that Gideon's side of the conversation was trying to "manage" Corrine from upsetting Eva.

Additional points worth noting:

• Gideon's is famous for having dated only brunettes (prior to Eva, who is blonde)
  • Magdalene, who has known Gideon a long time (their families know one another and their mothers are best friends) obviously knows a lot about the Gideon/Corrine history.
  • Magdalene even grew her own black hair waist length in the hopes it would help make Gideon desire her.
  • Now that "the one who got away" is back, Magdalene has thrown in the towel, and even cut her hair.
  • For Gideon, it was only about the sex with Corrine. He didn't love her but was willing to settle because who would love him if not her.
  • Eva believes Corrine is using guilt to manipulate Gideon. He feels it would be cruel to cut her off as a friend while she's in crisis (i.e. the divorce). Eva tells him to stow the guilt and start weaning Corrine off -- nip her hopes in the bud.

Bearing all the above facts in mind, here is my theories about what Corrine is up to:

It's history repeating itself. Corrine is chasing Gideon all over again, just like she did a decade ago in college. Short-term goal is to get him into bed. Long term goal is to get him to marry her. She blew it years ago. Now she's trying to fix it. She'll be patient for however long it takes. She may have been the one to seduce Gideon first all those years ago, but we know he's a dominant in bed. That stems from his control issues. The smart thing to do this time, given he's a dom, is to wait for him to seduce her.

She'll likely have learned from Magdalene that Gideon has never been as serious about another woman as he is about Eva. What if Magdalene (catty as she is) even talks about having walked in on Gideon making love to Eva in the library of his parents' home? That in fact, between the time Corrine left and the time he met Eva, Gideon's women fell strictly into one category or the other: there's women he took out socially and there's women he slept with. It was always one or the other. Corrine and Eva are the only two exceptions. And Magdalene ought to know. She's known Gideon for years, and she's always been stuck in category one: Gideon saw her socially more than any other woman, but he never did sleep with her.

Corrine may be deluding herself into thinking Gideon tried and failed to get past her (Corrine) by trying to break his own pattern. Seeing a blonde, not a brunette. Socializing and sleeping with Eva. And sleeping with Eva on the rebound to boot. Keep in mind the timing - right around the time Corrine was quitting her marriage, Gideon had just met Eva and very quickly got serious. Maybe Gideon was having such a headtrip about Corrine becoming available, he reacted by making Eva his girlfriend. Maybe at the time, Eva happened to be the woman Gideon was sleeping with. So he promotes her to full-fledged sleeping-with girlfriend.

If Corrine is thinking along these lines I'm guessing, something Corrine is deluding herself into thinking - that Eva and Gideon did not work out for two reasons: 1. Eva blew it because of her own insecurities - she pulled one runner too many and Gideon quit chasing. 2. The reason Gideon didn't run after Eva is because subconsciously all these years later, he finally is running after Corrine. It took years for him to realize he blew it when he let Corrine end the engagement. Now she's suddenly available -- and available to him.

I think Corrine's whole plan now (dumb as it is) is this:

• Thus far by manipulating his guilt, Corrine has managed to get him to talk with her often as a friend.
  • Now more recently, she's succeeded into graduating to a woman Gideon sees publicly. The tabloids are onto this, and he's not denying it publicly.
  • If she's only patient enough, she'll advance to lover next, and ultimately wife.
  • Eva is the only serious threat to her plan.
  • Thus far, by manipulating Eva's insecurity (especially jealousy: Gideon warned Corrine about that) she's caused trouble.
  • The permanent solution to the Eva problem is to keep Eva away by making Eva jealous.
  • How could Corrine NOT read something more into Gideon taking her, not Eva, to a public party at the hotel where she and Gideon always slept together.
  • Jealous Eva must have freaked over photos of Gideon out in public with Crroine "that" week. Especially the one with Gideon with his arm around Corrine's waist at the party.
  • Right now, Eva is out of Gideon's life. Or at least out of his bed. Corrine knows he's not sleeping with Eva right now (i.e. where we stand at the end of Reflected.) I'll bet Corrine thinks the tabloid photos prompted Eva to run away for good now.

Add on top of all this my theory is that just like Gideon lied by omission to Eva what they (Eva/Gideon) had is over for good, he's lying by omission to Corrine that the two of them (Corrine/Gideon) were never over. He's letting Corrine believe falsely he regrets Corrine broke their engagement, is secretly happy she's getting a divorce, and whether or not he knows it, subconsciously but he wants to correct his own mistake they didn't get married all those years ago. Even if he's saying to her face "just friends" he's acting like "I want you back." 

From a Gideon cover-story plot, he's got Corrine in a perfect place. She'll take any scraps she can get, go around trying to fool people Gideon is sleeping with her, go around fooling herself he wants to marry her (so she'll tell anyone if asked directly.) And Corrine won't pressure him for sex. She'll wait for however long it takes.

Big problem for Corrine came up around 36 hours before Reflected ended. Eva saw through her dirty tricks and called her on it. And told Corrine Gideon is in love with her (Eva) not Corrine. So Gideon won't ever be more than Corrine's friend. Eva's NOT gone for good. Eva might chase after Gideon too.

Corrine will grasp at straws in Entwined. If Gideon continues to see her socially (as I'm sure he will short-term fearing the coast is not clear). Corrine will do it. And she'll try any trick she can into fooling people into thinking she and Gideon are lovers again. If she has to, she'll get even nastier with Eva -- anything to keep Eva away from Gideon for good.

So Gideon and Eva can secretly love one another. Gideon can continue to use Corrine publicly to fool the cops. Eva will now start to publicly fool the cops too by changing into Ms. Single Party Girl. Maybe even (oh this is yummy) turn into Golden Girl that Sixth Ninths lead singer won back years after she left him. I'm NOT saying Eva will use Brett (unlike Gideon, she's never ruthlessly used someone). But Eva might let the tabloids find out about the Eva/Brett connection. Or if someone else lets the cat out of the bag (Cary, Christopher Vidal Jr., Brett himself) she won't stop the rumors running rampant.

With the whole Corrine backstory list above, here's my theory about the whole Corrine Comes Out Of Crossfire Looking Like She Had a Nooner incident, from Corrine's point of view.

• Corrine first started chasing Gideon again by phone. Called him daily. He regularly called back. But all of a sudden, he's not calling back regularly. He's got a new, serious girlfriend.
  • Corrine ups the ante by chasing Gideon in person. Shows up in town suddenly and convinces him to go pick her up. On a Saturday night when there's a major fundraiser he'd certainly attend with his girlfriend. Corrine calls him up at the fundraiser and gets him to leave early (and alone) to come get her. Short-circuits the date he's on. Works great.
  • Corrine next ups the ante by showing up in person unannounced at another fundraiser Gideon was bound to be at, with his girlfriend. Counts on it causing trouble by catching them offguard. Works beautifully. Girlfriend gets really upset and takes off.
  • But something Corrine did NOT count on happening: Gideon goes tearing out of the fundraiser to chase his girlfriend.
  • MAYBE Magdalene, catty as ever, tells Corrine at the dinner she's never, in all the years Corrine has been living overseas, EVER seen Gideon Cross chase a woman. Because the next morning, Magdalene phones Eva. Gossips that over the years, other women have tried drama stunts that never worked. Gideon simply made sure Angus drove the women home. Gideon has never gone running after someone before. 
  • Now Corrine's worried. So the next day, she chases Gideon in person again, this time by showing up at the Crossfire. Shows up around lunchtime, figuring that's her best shot of getting in unannounced.
  • Angus is parked outside waiting for Gideon, who is supposed to be going to a meeting somewhere. From Angus, she learns he'll be down soon. Corrine hangs out inside the lobby, hoping to catch Gideon heading through the lobby to his car. 
  • But Gideon doesn't come down to leave for the meeting. Because he just got an unannounced visit from Nathan. He's upstairs dealing with the sicko.
  • Corrine waits and waits and waits. And then ..... cue dramatic music ....
  • Through the glass walls of the lobby, Corrine spots Eva across the street, heading back from lunch to work.
  • Corrine smears her bright red lipstick, messes up her beautiful hair, and strolls out of the building.
  • Angus has by then figured out Gideon isn't coming down. So when Corrine asks him for a ride, Angus takes her.
  • It was a impulsive trick to mess with the insecure and jealous Eva. Works absolutely beautifully.
  • And as a two-fer, figuring correctly Eva will confront Gideon, Corrine counts on it getting back to Gideon that she (Corrine) just walked out of his building looking like she just had a nooner with someone else in the building. (Counting on the ghost of Gideon's possessiveness kicking in.)
  • Gideon, who'd spent all of dinner last night trying to manage Corrine into not upsetting his girlfriend, now has his girlfriend freaking out. So Gideon calls Corrine to ask what the heck and tell her to not be showing up unannounced at Crossfire, where his girlfriend works too.
  • But something Corrine did NOT count on is Gideon isn't upset that Corrine looks like she just got laid. Gideon is upset that Corrine caused trouble with his girlfriend.

As a P.S. to this weeks later, when Gideon's now ex-girlfriend shows up unannounced at Corrine's apartment, Corrine comes to the door looking like she just spent at least the last 20 minutes (maybe longer) having morning sex with Gideon. Corrine figures if the Crossfire incident worked so well, repeating the same trick in an even nastier way will keep Eva from ever wanting to see Gideon again.

But something Corrine doesn't count on is the ex-girlfriend can see Corrine is lying and picks a fight in which Corrine gives herself away. And points out the fact that ex or not, Gideon is in love with her (Eva). And it must have made Corrine really uneasy that the ex is going around stirring up trouble. Meaning she's coming around Gideon again.

Sylvia once, in response to a spoiler question about Bared to You (and before Reflected came out) said Corrine is a good person. But because only Bared was out, the answer would apply to the character as she was in Bared, not Reflected.

In Reflected, Corrine does not behave like a good person. She's even cattier than Magdalene. So, has the Corrine character changed now into a nasty schemer who will do anything to keep Gideon and Eva apart? Or has Corrine simply turned into a pathetic desperate creature who will keep throwing herself at Gideon?

Only Entwined will tell ........

*Wow*

Love this! 

Can.not.stand.Corinne...

It REALLY annoyed me when she said this to Eva at the fundraiser:

"He tells me you've inspired him to start opening up. I'm grateful to you for that."

Oh come on now! Really, Corrine??!!??

I don't care if Sylvia says that you are a good person...I think that you are a b****...   LOL!

Hi LNCronan,

I think it will be interesting to see how many of everyone's theories are going to come to fruition in June. One of the theories that I will be most interested to see is if the Vodka Party was actually held at the same hotel where Gideon had casual sex.

The picture you paint of Corinne is pathetic and plausible. It is possible that Corinne would use her old standby tricks. If she chased Gideon and caught him once, then who is to say that she couldn't use those same tricks again? Sigh! The question for the hour is: Is history doomed to repeat itself?

The vodka party definitely was at the %$#! pad hotel. He took Eva herself there after work the day she agreed to become his girlfriend. She knew the name, she knew the place. Gideon himself later told Eva that's the only place he'd ever had consensual sex prior to her.

And the online article she read about the party the following Saturday morning told where the party had been. From page 284 ...

I went numb when I saw the mixer had been Thursday from six to nine, at one of Gideon's properties -- one I knew all too well. He'd f***** me there, just as he'd f***** dozens of women there. Gideon has stood me up for our appointment with Dr. Petersen to take Corrine to his %$#! pad hotel.

Hi AMC! Know something else that really ticked me off about Corrine's messing with Eva's mind the night they met. It was something Corrine slipped into the conversation that caused Eva to figure out Gideon had bailed on her the night of their first date to go help Corrine. From page 313:

"I interrupted him at some charity event he was giving a speech at, poor guy, to tell him I was on my way and to ask for his help in getting settled." (Presumably, but I'm not sure, this was her coming back to New York for good.)

Gideon most definitely was not himself that night. Over Eva. And because thus far, Gideon had been telling Corrine lots of things about how special Eva was, he might have shared the fact he and Eva had sex for the first time that night. And it scared him. And he ended up really messing up the date, maybe even blown everything.

Think about it. Prior to that night, the only place Gideon has ever had sex with any woman, Corrine included, was at the hotel. And he always was the one in control, the "top."  But hours earlier, Eva seduced him in the back of his limo, and she topped him. While they were doing it, Gideon's world was being rocked. He didn't think it was possible for him. But soon as it was over, he went on a major head trip, pulled away from Eva and retreated into his cold shell.

The rest of the date went badly at the advocacy center fundraiser. And Eva's last words to Gideon as he was saying good-bye to leave early without her, was to slam him. "You gave a wonderful speech, Gideon. It was the highlight of my evening."

Gideon flinched, and then tried a little tenderness right then and there. But his phone rang. Corrine!! Again!!! He'd taken other calls earlier, including presumably her, because he already knew he was leaving early. He had been asking Eva how she was going to get home, when Corrine called again, and he immediately had to leave now.  

I'll bet that whatever Gideon talked about with Corrine a little later, it would have included the terrible remorse he felt for treating Eva the way he did on their date. At the time, he and Corrine are supposedly old friends. He's been talking to her about Eva. She's been leaning on him about the divorce. She's been pumping him for Eva info to figure out how ruin the brand-new relationship.

So think about it. It's now weeks later, and Corrine showed up unannounced at another fundraiser where Gideon and Eva were. Eva didn't even know Corrine existed until she got blindsided. But Corrine knew a lot about Eva, including probably a lot about the first date Gideon and Eva had. So Corrine in a manipulative little passive-aggressive ploy, drops a bombshell on Eva that when Gideon bailed on Eva the night of the first date, it was because Corrine called him up in the middle of the date, and Gideon went running.

Wench!!!! I'm starting to think that when Sylvia told a fan Corrine was a good person, back when Bared was the only book out, that it was a "red herring." Sure, Corrine's a good person (NOT). When Reflected came out, we found out what a desperate schemer Corrine is. Well Eva got Corrine the day Eva blindsided Corrine showing up at Corrine's apartment and letting Corrine know she (Eva) was onto her.

So GiGi, I'm thinking if history repeats itself, Entwined is going to have Corrine and Eva pitched against one another for the third (better be final) time. Only twice have Eva and Corrine ever spoken directly to one another thus far, once in each book.

The first time is near the end of Bared, where Corrine shows up unannounced in public to blindside Eva that she (Corrine) exists and proceeds to mess with Eva's mind and insecurities. And acts so sickly sweet and kind while doing so. Round one goes to Corrine. Knock down.

The second time is near the end of Reflected, where Eva shows up unannounced in private at Corrine's apartment building to confront her. Corrine tries to mess with Eva's mind again, and because they're in private and Corrine knows (she asked) Gideon has no idea Eva's there, Corrine turns ugly. Eva sees right through it, calls Corrine on it, and the fight ends with an angry Corrine slamming her door. Round two goes to Eva. Lands a solid hit right to the gut.

Time three? Oooooooo we can only wait until June 4. But I'd love it if Gideon is there for the showdown and tells Corrine he wants Eva, only Eva, and plans to spend the rest of his life with her.

I'm confused --

Was Corinne back in New York when she called Gideon at the advocacy fundraiser or was she still in Paris?

Also, do you think  it was Corinne who was calling Gideon the night that Eva had the dinner at her apartment when her dad was in town-----Gideon took several calls on his cell phone that night...

And what is this all about--

In BTY page 279 Gideon says to Eva:

"I've had as much sex since I met you as I've had in the last two years combined."

But then in RIY page 49  Dr. Peterson asks Gideon:

"What was the frequency of your sexual encounters prior to Eva?"

Gideon responds:

"Twice a week --on average."

What the ?!!??

Since publicly Eva broke up with Gideon, it is reasonable to think when he asked Corinne out, he told her it was going to be 'as friends'.  But as we all know she loves him and I'm sure she is hoping if she is patient he will resume their intimate relationship.  And  we know that our girl Magdalene knows how much Gideon cares from Eva (the library scene) so if she told Cornine this then Corinne will be taking it slowly. Help him heal his broken heart. (Eva telling her ' if she is paying attention, she knows he's hurting)

We know that Eva and Gideon are keeping their relationship on 'the down low', I am interested to see if Gideon continues to 'date' Corinne. And how they ease back into an open relationship.    So much fun to speculate  :)