Now, who wants to talk about how pathetic Magdalene is (on the female side) vs Trey (on the male side)?

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Ms Magdalene

I doubt she'll be starting any trouble in EWY. Her hopes and dreams of being with Gideon are long gone..! What I don't understand is Eva say's Christopher " knew her body well" so they must have been sleeping together for a while, why would she take that chance, not even knowing if Christopher would use that against her for revenge with Gideon..!

Clearly the girl is dumb...!

So Ms Magdalene

I doubt she'll be starting any trouble in EWY. Her hopes and dreams of being with Gideon are long gone..! What I don't understand is Eva say's Christopher " knew her body well" so they must have been sleeping together for a while, why would she take that chance, not even knowing if Christopher would use that against her for revenge with Gideon..!

i think she is sleeping with christopher in a desperate attempt to be close to gideon.  or maybe she understand how gideon feels about christopher, and an affair with him might make gideon want to protect maggie, or realize that he wants her?  desperate girls come up with the craziest stuff, so really almost any explaination could be.

So Ms Magdalene

Outwardly, Magdalene would have kept herself unattached and ladylike. But underneath, she must have been seriously sexually frustrated. Christopher exploited this.

Being around such an incredibly hot Gideon. Knowing that Gideon did &%$! other women, lots of them. But wasn't laying a hand on her. Christopher probably moved in on her and seduced her but promised to keep secret they were sleeping together. Why not? Christopher would have loved secretly sleeping with the woman that, prior to Eva, Gideon had on his arm the most when at high profile affairs.

Gideon had been possessive of Corrine, meaning he didn't like any other men near her. (I mean, look how he gets when some guy even looks twice at Eva.) Over the years, Magdalene had seen other women (so she gossiped to Eva) who tried attention getting stunts with Gideon that backfired. Magdalene is a fool, but she's a schemer too. Around Gideon, she would have acted all sweet and kind and soothing, the same way Corrine acted in public (see the chapter near the end of Bared that covers the dinner at the Waldorf, the night Eva met Corrine in the middle of a fundraiser.) Privately, she would have been vicious to women who did get Gideon in bed. Look how she treated Eva the first time she met Eva, sensing (correctly) Gideon had slept with her earlier that night.

Hi Everyone,

Mrsmajessick asked a really good question; who is more pathetic Trey or Magdalene? My money is on Trey. Trey is a confirmed gay male but Carey is bi-sexual. This has caused nothing but problems between the two of them because Trey couldn't accept who Carey is. This in turned caused Carey to act out (see orgy scene in Bared To You) and the scenes where Carey slept with Tatiana.

Despite all of that, Trey is determined to continue to date Carey. Why? Carey isn't going to change who he is. Carey never lied to Trey about his sexual orientation either. So why is Trey settling for scraps when it obviously upsets him when he sees his boyfriend being who he is? I suspect that this isn’t Trey’s first relationship either, so it can’t be argued that maybe wasn’t sure of his sexuality. Why would someone ask another person to being something that they are not? What does everyone else think?

I think Trey & Magdalene are at a tie. I say this because of the following:

They are both desperate for the love and affection of two people who are involved with others.

They both keep putting themselves out there for these people no matter how bad they get hurt.

They are both deluded in thinking some big change is going to happen within the objects of their affections that will lead them to having a happily ever after. Examples - Cary becoming solely gay. Gideon recognizing Madalene is the one he's wanted all this time.

They both have lost their self-worth chasing after people who will never be what they want them to be.

They both are willing to settle for less if they have to to have Cary & Gideon.

They both have tunnel vision on unrealistic goals without any concern for their dignity.

They both have exposed how desperate they are to Eva - I think as a last ditch effort that maybe she would reveal this to Gideon & Cary and they would feel bad and coming running into Trey & Magdalene's arms.

They're both just downright pathetic and need to get their own lives and their own men.

Trey was still willing to sleep with Cary even after catching Cary in bed with someone else. Sad.

Magdalene probably would have even been willing to wait out Eva even after seeing Gideon making really hot love to Eva in the library.

Can you imagine Magdalene's face a couple of days later, invited up to Gideon's office to have lunch only to discover the real purpose of the visit -- Gideon showing her secret video of his stepbrother Christopher sexually using her. Using her at the very same party at which Gideon and Eva got busy in the library.

I wonder whether it was then and there that Magdalene dropped her Gideon torch. Would she still have stayed on the sidelines even after that? Because I'm sure Gideon was kind to her when he showed her the tape. 

Or was it when Corrine moved back to New York that Magdalene finally decided it was over? Magdalene deciding that because the "real thing" (Corrine was back) Gideon wasn't going to settle for a "cheap knock-off" (her). Magdalene may have half-deluded herself into thinking Eva was just a sexual obsession but Corrine was always destined to be Mrs. Gideon Cross.

At least Magdalene got rid of the Corrine hairstyle. It's a radical change from waist-length hair to a sleek bob. I said it before, but I'll say it again. Magdalene needs more than a new haircut -- she needs to have her head examined.

Trey needs to find a down-to-earth gay man, not a high-maintenance male model who is bi-sexual and whose clear first preference is female lovers.

Trey willing to settle for sloppy seconds if it will get Cary to stop sleeping with other women.

Magdalene willing to settle for Gideon sleeping plenty of other women while keeping her on "ice" if only he'll eventually upgrade her from society trophy date to society trophy wife.

Who wants to talk about how pathetic Magdalene versus Corrine is?

Magdalene, willing to stay for a long time (probably years) in a celibate social relationship with Gideon, in exchange for being his trophy date at society functions? Hoping that as soon as he's finished sleeping with a series of flings, he'll make her Mrs. Gideon Cross?

Corrine, who chased him all those years ago and then blew it on the engagement, now years later, starting back at square one with chasing the guy all over again. Hoping that because she's divorcing the guy she married on the rebound, he'll make her Mrs. Gideon Cross?

Both women still willing to settle for no-sex status even after knowing how sexual he is with Eva? Magdalene saw them going at it with her own eyes, and catty woman that she is, surely told Corrine.

Hi everyone,

I wonder whether Magdalene was bred for the role of being pathetic. Jo-mama stated that Elizabeth Vidal and Magdalene’s mother were friends, best friends so I wonder if these two women cooked up some type of scenario in their heads about…â€wouldn’t it be nice if Magdalene and Gideon got together?...now if only Gideon could get his act together and settle down with a nice girl like Magdalene.â€

Who knows what kind of verbal coaching or otherwise Magdalene may have gotten from her mother and/or Elizabeth Vidal…â€Be patient Magdalene…Gideon will come around….Gideon loves long haired raven beauties…..hint, hint, hint…†Oh to be a fly on the wall of that home when those conversations were going on.

It could also be argued that Magdalene was a socialite herself and therefore a woman of means. She would in turn be looking for a partner with the same social standing and breeding. Gideon fit the bill with the exception of his terrible temper and whoring ways. Ah, but a man can always be forgiven for his naughty ways….and he is GORGEOUS to boot! All kidding aside, I think that his looks played a definite role in how women treated him later on in life and how often things were overlooked.

What does everyone else think?

Trey was still willing to sleep with Cary even after catching Cary in bed with someone else. Sad.

Magdalene probably would have even been willing to wait out Eva even after seeing Gideon making really hot love to Eva in the library.

Can you imagine Magdalene's face a couple of days later, invited up to Gideon's office to have lunch only to discover the real purpose of the visit -- Gideon showing her secret video of his stepbrother Christopher sexually using her. Using her at the very same party at which Gideon and Eva got busy in the library.

I wonder whether it was then and there that Magdalene dropped her Gideon torch. Would she still have stayed on the sidelines even after that? Because I'm sure Gideon was kind to her when he showed her the tape. 

Or was it when Corrine moved back to New York that Magdalene finally decided it was over? Magdalene deciding that because the "real thing" (Corrine was back) Gideon wasn't going to settle for a "cheap knock-off" (her). Magdalene may have half-deluded herself into thinking Eva was just a sexual obsession but Corrine was always destined to be Mrs. Gideon Cross.

At least Magdalene got rid of the Corrine hairstyle. It's a radical change from waist-length hair to a sleek bob. I said it before, but I'll say it again. Magdalene needs more than a new haircut -- she needs to have her head examined.

Trey needs to find a down-to-earth gay man, not a high-maintenance male model who is bi-sexual and whose clear first preference is female lovers.

Hi LNCronan,

If Magdalene dropped her Gideon torch, it is because she was forced too. The jig was up. After viewing the video footage of her having sex with Christopher Jr. she could no longer play the chaste, virginal character. I think that was here entire premises with Gideon.

She also knew that Gideon wouldn’t want sloppy seconds. Game over! I say that Magdalene was less pathetic afterwards because she cut her hair, stopped carrying the Corinne torch and started to let her own personality develop a little. Maybe she realized the games she was playing to get Gideon weren’t working so she decided to change tactics. She never really went after Gideon as herself. She always looked or acted like someone else.

Maybe the reader will get a chance to see the real Magdalene in the third book if she decides to make a play for Gideon’s affections. What does everyone think?

Hi Jo-mama,

You make some really good points about Magdalene. It is so hard to tell exactly who Magdalene is and what her motivations were for what she did. Other than her catty attempts to chase off Eva, the reader isn’t left with any dialogue that they can reference. It will be really interesting to see if Sylvia includes the Magdalene character in the next book. I hope she is included. I think that she can add a lot to the Gideon Eva dynamic.

I won't say Trey and Magdalene are tied only because at least Trey knows that Cary has feelings for him, Gideon does not have those feelings for magdalene at all.. She was dreaming of him "caring" for her.

Hi everyone,

MrsCrossfire makes a good point about whether Trey and Magdalene are tied. I wonder whether Magdalene had any self respect to begin with. I think that Trey lost his self respect when he continued to date and have sex with Carey after he found out about the cheating. He wanted Carey to be someone he’s not.

I guess the real question is what is more pathetic; the person who is hoping to change someone or the person who is waiting for a person to notice and accept them? Both scenarios are incredibly sad.

Hi everyone,

I wonder whether Magdalene was bred for the role of being pathetic. Jo-mama stated that Elizabeth Vidal and Magdalene’s mother were friends, best friends so I wonder if these two women cooked up some type of scenario in their heads about…â€wouldn’t it be nice if Magdalene and Gideon got together?...now if only Gideon could get his act together and settle down with a nice girl like Magdalene.â€

Who knows what kind of verbal coaching or otherwise Magdalene may have gotten from her mother and/or Elizabeth Vidal…â€Be patient Magdalene…Gideon will come around….Gideon loves long haired raven beauties…..hint, hint, hint…†Oh to be a fly on the wall of that home when those conversations were going on.

It could also be argued that Magdalene was a socialite herself and therefore a woman of means. She would in turn be looking for a partner with the same social standing and breeding. Gideon fit the bill with the exception of his terrible temper and whoring ways. Ah, but a man can always be forgiven for his naughty ways….and he is GORGEOUS to boot! All kidding aside, I think that his looks played a definite role in how women treated him later on in life and how often things were overlooked.

What does everyone else think?

It's safe to assume Magdalene grew up a socialite, because her mother is the best friend of Gideon's socialite mother, Elizabeth Vidal. "Ladies Who Lunch" (socialites) generally are friends only within their same social class. This is especially true of so-called trophy wives - women whose sole vocation is to devote themselves to their husbands in return for the financial security their husbands offer.

Eva's mother, Monica, clearly is a trophy wife - we know this from the wealth (pun intended) of background story information we have on her through the eyes of her daughter, Eva. We know less about Elizabeth Vidal, because Eva doesn't know a lot about her, but what we do know strongly suggests Elizabeth is a trophy wife.

Magdalene as Gideon's wife could (so Elizabeth hopes) help bridge the estrangement Gideon has from his family, an estrangement that really bothers Elizabeth.

Secretly videotaping Christopher and Magdalene is just the sort of thing Cary would do. My theory is this combo of factors prompted it:

• On Eva's behalf, Cary has reason to resent Magdalene. The woman has sunk her catty claws into Cary's best friend.
  • Cary has reason to be leery of Christopher. Even though Christopher did invite him (and Eva) to the party, it's likely Eva has mentioned to Cary that Gideon warned her to stay away from Christopher. (Indeed the reason Cary sent the sex tape to Eva the next day was to prove to her Christopher is a creep  Eva needs to avoid.)
  • I'll bet Magdalene and Christopher were furtive as they slipped away to that part of the estate grounds, something that would pique Cary's curiosity.
  • Cary wouldn't be at all squeamish being a "peeping Tom." This is a guy who had a foursome in the middle of his living room. Part of the thrill of group sex is seeing others go at it. I'm sure Cary has done group sex before. We know of only one incident, and that's solely because Eva caught him in the middle of it when she came home unexpectedly early that night.

Thanks, LN Cronan!

I've decided that in my next life I am going to be a trophy wife/socialite!    LOL!

Since Magdalene has known Gideon for a long time, I guess she knew him during his angry teenage years..... wonder what she knows...

It seems to me that alot of the characters in this book are stuck emotionally in their teenage years...

Good morning, AMC!!!

Magdalene's inside knowledge of Gideon's history with Corrine strongly suggests Magdalene knew him, and probably knew Corrine too, when they were engaged. Maybe Magdalene even knew them in college, when Gideon and Corrine first began dating.

Gideon and Corrine both went to Columbia University, where Gideon met Corrine when he was a freshman. Or should I say Corrine chased him down when spotting the young hottie on campus. What if Magdalene also went to Columbia?

Not that we have any indication Corrine and Magdalene ever made anything of their Ivy League educations. To our knowledge, both cling to rich men, not pursue their own careers. Still, growing up in privileged backgrounds, all of them (Magdalene, Corrine, Gideon himself) would be expected to attend at least four years of school at a top-notch (and thus very expensive) college or university. It is a social reflection upon their parents that the parents can afford to send their offspring to the very best schools.

Even future trophy wives go to college. To major in what I like to call "pre-wed." They're in the best schools to make future social connections. Especially to find college sweethearts who can turn into husbands. That's what Corrine's goal had been with Gideon.

LN Cronan:

Do you think that Magdalene knew Gideon growing up---like middle school/high school...

Since their mothers knew each other, I thought that maybe they lived close to each other? 

Maybe these books are about redemption?

No matter what dark place that one comes from, there is always the hope that one can become a better person.

And the unconditional love of another human being is the catalyst to becoming a better person...

Magdalene may have known of Gideon in grade school and/or high school, if the Vidal and Perez families were close even back then. But I doubt Gideon would have been friends with her -- or with any of the other kids. Here are some thoughts why:

• Gideon was an angry kid being bullied in school. This would have made him one of the unpopular kids. And a loner.
  • I can't see the social-climbing Magdalene hanging out with an unpopular loner. I can see her hanging out with popular kids, like the jocks. She's a gorgeous woman, so I can see her as a gorgeous teen with her pick of the boys. 
  • I can also see her hanging out with the richest boys with the best social prospects.
  • Gideon had no financial prospects at the time he was young. Gideon was simply Vidal Sr.'s stepson that Vidal had to take in order to get the mother. He wasn't a biological Vidal (and thus not an heir to the the family.) Nor did he have any trust funds of his own -- he would have been left penniless by his late father. Even within his own family, he's considered a f*** up. Why would the Vidal friends the Perez family even care about him?
  • As for social prospects, at the time Gideon would have been stigmatized when a kid and later a teen. He was Gideon Cross, carrying the shameful Cross name from the notorious Geoffrey Cross, his biological father who was a major crook that killed himself.
  • I wonder whether it wasn't until Gideon was college age and dating Corrine that he got Magdalene's notice for the first time. Corrine is described as a very beautiful woman, and kind in a way that would have made her popular. Magdalene might have wondered what was so special about the guy that a woman like Corrine wanted him. Plus, Gideon and Corrine side by side are a physically stunning pair. His own good looks would have been magnified.
  • Maybe at this point, Magdalene develops physical attraction to Gideon. But still, there's those pesky financial and social stigma issues while he's still a college kid.
  • It wasn't until he was into his early 20s and had graduated from (or dropped out of) Columbia University that Gideon first started getting rich. Now he's got financial prospects, which would make him financially attractive on top of physically attractive to Magdalene.
  • Once he got really insanely rich, he became a celebrity, which is the ultimate social attractiveness that would make him attractive to practically all women -- most especially socially ambitious ones.. He could have been ugly as sin and still had women lined up to snag him. And the women were lined up.
  • Now by age 28, Gideon's got everything Magdalene could ever desire in a husband. And he's single.
  • The only potential rival for his affection, Corrine is gone -- she dumped Gideon, married some rich guy (probably before Gideon got really rich himself) and lives in Europe.
  • Gideon gives Magdalene the social spotlight of her being a regular trophy date of a celebrity. Obviously, eventually he's going to need a trophy wife. He's definitely approaching an age (late 20s) where the time to settle down has come.

So in summary:

• Grade school and high school Gideon = pariah and loner.
  • College age Gideon = physically attractive enough to win a gorgeous girlfriend.
  • Early 20s Gideon = getting rich and now financially attractive on top of physically.
  • Late 20s Gideon = insanely rich guy who is a celebrity. He's got it ALL: the best social standing, the most money, and he's seriously hawt. 
  • Best of all, He's SINGLE. Soon he needs to have more than just trophy dates to take out in public. He needs to settle on one to become his trophy wife.

One last thing: Magdalene was not the ONLY woman Gideon was photographed with. When Cary gave Eva a dossier he'd assembled the afternoon of Eva's first date with Gideon, she saw he was photographed with lots of women. Magdalene just happened to be the most frequent, so frequent that Eva noticed. So Magdalene must fooled herself into thinking she was at the head of the race to the altar to become Mrs. Gideon Cross.

I think what prompt Cary to follow the Magdalene is she was probably so upset when she came out the house seeing Giedon with Eva in the library she ran to Christopher, Cary knowing Eva went in the house with Giedon and about Magdalene being b!+€hy to Eva he wanted to see what she was upset by, and he just happen to witness what was going on between Christopher and her..!

Just My Thoughts..!!