The New Entwined Clues Sylvia Is Posting

LN Cronan

There's only one firm prediction theory I do have. After we've all read Entwined and are deep into the discussion thread, any of you fellow fans get to say either "you were right" or "you were wrong".

My theory is this: the reason the murder case will go away soon and probably for good was that Detective Graves questioned Eva without Eva's lawyer present. Graves f****** up very badly.

How I think it will unfold: It was only one question -- about the phone call Eva made to Gideon on Saturday. The answer Graves tricked out of Eva (by getting Eva to nod "yes") is proof Gideon never dumped Eva before Nathan died; Eva dumped Gideon after Nathan was killed. But Graves blew it, because she violated Eva's rights. So now the prosecution won't be able to build a good enough case to be able to bring it to trial. Because the motive side of the case is permanently ruined. The evidence Graves got is totally inadmissible in court.

Oh one thing to add .... how will Gideon and Eva know when it's finally safe to come out of hiding their relationship?

His defense lawyers will tell him the DA's office has decided to drop the case, because the detective's mistake forever ruined some of the most important evidence the prosecution had -- evidence they'll never get to use in court because it's ruined.

In other words: "We know he did it, but we'll never be able to prove it to a jury now, because some of our best evidence is gone. So we're dropping the case." 

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh one thing to add .... how will Gideon and Eva know when it's finally safe to come out of hiding their relationship?

His defense lawyers will tell him the DA's office has decided to drop the case, because the detective's mistake forever ruined some of the most important evidence the prosecution had -- evidence they'll never get to use in court because it's ruined.

In other words: "We know he did it, but we'll never be able to prove it to a jury now, because some of our best evidence is gone. So we're dropping the case." 

one thing that worries me is. Is it possible , given that when Nathan died, Eva's case that was buried by Stanton, was official opened. Can the reporters still find out about Eva's abuse?

I hope that my patients realized I'm going to be running very late in the office next Tuesday...

Oh, I just realized the kids are testing next week and I get to be a hall monitor. Yay me!   I'm not a fan of standardized testing but I think I can make an exception.  Should be able to read without any interuptions.

Oh, I just realized the kids are testing next week and I get to be a hall monitor. Yay me!   I'm not a fan of standardized testing but I think I can make an exception.  Should be able to read without any interuptions.

Lucky you...but try not to blush too much in front of the kids when you get to the good parts....

one thing that worries me is. Is it possible , given that when Nathan died, Eva's case that was buried by Stanton, was official opened. Can the reporters still find out about Eva's abuse?

It is possible. It's why Eva freaked out when she saw the gossip sites had seized on the story that Gideon Cross has a serious new girlfriend - Eva Trammel. She got scared about the fact that suddenly she was high profile. If someone went digging hard, the dirt could come out. There was a civil settlement (where Eva got $5 million in damages from Nathan's father) that would raise serious eyebrows. And a lot of people were involved in the child protective services investigation that ensued as soon as that emergency room exam proved beyond all doubt Eva had been being raped for some time now. Plus (we now know from what Sylvia posted in this forum recently) Nathan was criminally prosecuted in the juvenile courts.

This is why Eva felt compelled to tell Gideon about the deep, dark secret of Nathan. "It's a matter of public record, which has been sealed, but there are people who know the story .... you have a right to know this could come out and embarrass you." ` page 182 of Bared to You

Note: the fact Nathan is now deceased does not automatically make all the court records public -- i.e. no one could just walk into the courthouse(s) and ask for copies. However, normally even people inside the court clerks records offices of the court(s) involved couldn't just look into the files. The seals meant any access to any of Nathan's records needed extraordinary reason why. Him getting murdered is a huge reason for breaking open the files -- the detectives now have carte blanche to look at all the records.

So now a bunch of insiders, like cops and court clerks, are going to know what's inside those files. People capable of leaking them to reporters.

It is possible. It's why Eva freaked out when she saw the gossip sites had seized on the story that Gideon Cross has a serious new girlfriend - Eva Trammel. She got scared about the fact that suddenly she was high profile. If someone went digging hard, the dirt could come out. There was a civil settlement (where Eva got $5 million in damages from Nathan's father) that would raise serious eyebrows. And a lot of people were involved in the child protective services investigation that ensued as soon as that emergency room exam proved beyond all doubt Eva had been being raped for some time now. Plus (we now know from what Sylvia posted in this forum recently) Nathan was criminally prosecuted in the juvenile courts.

This is why Eva felt compelled to tell Gideon about the deep, dark secret of Nathan. "It's a matter of public record, which has been sealed, but there are people who know the story .... you have a right to know this could come out and embarrass you." ` page 182 of Bared to You

Note: the fact Nathan is now deceased does not automatically make all the court records public -- i.e. no one could just walk into the courthouse(s) and ask for copies. However, normally even people inside the court clerks records offices of the court(s) involved couldn't just look into the files. The seals meant any access to any of Nathan's records needed extraordinary reason why. Him getting murder is a huge reason for breaking open the files -- the detectives now have carte blanche to look at all the records.

So now a bunch of insiders, like cops and court clerks, are going to know what's inside those files. People capable of leaking them to reporters.

that last part is what worries me. Eva's past could still be made public. Causing her more hurt and angst. Could this be how Victor might find out about her abuse? As a cop albeit on the other side of the country, would he be privy to the information?

Just a thought. If it was made public knowledge, surely there would be a lot of public sympathy for Eva. Gideon could be classed as a vigilante? I know it's still illegal, but surely the prosecution would have trouble trying to convince a jury, knowing what a lowlife Nathan was.

And yes, some people who would be leaking stuff technically would be doing something unprofessional, perhaps illegal. But for a lot of different motives -- good and bad -- people leak stuff to journalists. Journalists who protect the identities of sources. And some of whom would rather go to jail for contempt of court than reveal the name of a source.

In real life when I was a journalist, I once worked on a story where some guy had applied to the police academy. Turned out he had a very serious juvenile criminal record. Technically that record was sealed, but some people knew about it. So someone with a very good motive for wanting the truth to come out that this would-be cop was not the squeaky clean person he claimed to be .... well ... let's just say the story got into my newspaper. 

And yes, some people who would be leaking stuff technically would be doing something unprofessional, perhaps illegal. But for a lot of different motives -- good and bad -- people leak stuff to journalists. Journalists who protect the identities of sources. And some of whom would rather go to jail for contempt of court than reveal the name of a source.

In real life when I was a journalist, I once worked on a story where some guy had applied to the police academy. Turned out he had a very serious juvenile criminal record. Technically that record was sealed, but some people knew about it. So someone with a very good motive for wanting the truth to come out that this would-be cop was not the squeaky clean person he claimed to be .... well ... let's just say the story got into my newspaper. 

as you say, there's good and bad in all walks of life.

that last part is what worries me. Eva's past could still be made public. Causing her more hurt and angst. Could this be how Victor might find out about her abuse? As a cop albeit on the other side of the country, would he be privy to the information?

Technically Victor couldn't get the records through official channels. He hasn't got a valid reason to see them -- because he's not officially working the case as an investigating officer.

BUT 

While Nathan was still alive, none of the cops could get to see his records through official channels. Once he got murdered, though, suddenly the NYPD (and through them the DA's office) suddenly had access to the files. Could make copies. Could leak them to .... a fellow cop .... 

Look at what Detective Graves did: leaked all sorts of stuff about a criminal investigation to Eva. What's to stop Graves from doing the same thing to Eva's father, hoping that Victor would be outraged at the thought Gideon was a murderer and would be willing to do what he (Victor) could to help ensure Gideon is brought to justice.

(Not that that'd work -- I think once Victor finds out the real truth, he'll thank Gideon for saving his little girl's life)

Just a thought. If it was made public knowledge, surely there would be a lot of public sympathy for Eva. Gideon could be classed as a vigilante? I know it's still illegal, but surely the prosecution would have trouble trying to convince a jury, knowing what a lowlife Nathan was.

Technically, the jury could decide to let Gideon off. It's a very rare thing known as "jury nullification" -- the jury basically decides to ignore the evidence and the judge's instructions for their (the jurors) own reasons, and they decide to find a defendant not guilty.  It's really rare, but it does happen in real life. And here's the thing about the U.S. court system: if someone is acquitted, he/she cannot ever be prosecuted again on the same charge.

Nor can the prosecution appeal a "not guilty" verdict. The defense can (and often does) appeal guilty verdicts, but the prosecution cannot ever appeal an acquittal. The U.S. Constitution has very strong protections against "double-jeopardy" -- the government can't keep trying someone over and over and over again. The government gets one shot -- and the jury of ordinary citizens collectively is the group that decides "guilty" or "not guilty"

The main incentive for the defense to plea bargain a case is to get a less harsh punishment. The main incentive for the prosecution to plea bargain a case is to avoid the risk the accused will walk free forever if the prosecution loses the trial.

Technical Victor couldn't get the records through official channels. He hasn't got a valid reason to see them -- because he's not officially working the case as an investigating officer.

BUT 

While Nathan was still alive, none of the cops could get to see his records through official channels. Once he got murdered, though, suddenly the NYPD (and through them the DA's office) suddenly had access to the files. Could make copies. Could leak them to .... a fellow cop .... 

Look at what Detective Graves did: leaked all sorts of stuff about a criminal investigation to Eva. What's to stop Graves from doing the same thing to Eva's father, hoping that Victor would be outraged at the thought Gideon was a murderer and would be willing to do what he (Victor) could to help ensure Gideon is brought to justice.

(Not that that'd work -- I think once Victor finds out the real truth, he'll thank Gideon for saving his little girl's life)

here here! I'll drink to that. Victor will probably shake his hand, then Monica by the neck! Lol

Hi Kirsten,

You had better dish all the dirt when you come back from the Meet & Greet girl!  We will all be waiting with baited breath!! Quick, quick, sister, start preparing your questions!!  You’re going to have to be ready!!    :)

Hi Gigi,

We'll all have to come up with questions for Sylvia once we read EWY and then I'll be the messenger. :)

I was reading some of the comments under the snapshot and people were saying that they wondered if Eva slept with Brett. NO WAY she would do that! I was shocked that was even said to be honest. Maybe i am a little obsessed with this book and feel like i am friends with Eva and Gideon. So i except everyone to be as invested. LOL

I agree. I can't see Eva going back there.

I agree. I can't see Eva going back there.

I would be shocked too if Eva slept with Brett---I don't think Gideon and Eva's relationship could overcome that. They both have so many issues with trust.

Then again, I realize that I am injecting my own personal feelings into this---LOL!

I would be shocked too if Eva slept with Brett---I don't think Gideon and Eva's relationship could overcome that. They both have so many issues with trust.

Then again, I realize that I am injecting my own personal feelings into this---LOL!

I think at the point we are at with Gideon and Eva, this just seems impossible, So I agree that I also might be injecting my own personal feelings into this, but there is a bigger part of me as a reader, that just wouldn't buy into it.

I think at the point we are at with Gideon and Eva, this just seems impossible, So I agree that I also might be injecting my own personal feelings into this, there is a bigger part of me as a reader, that just wouldn't buy into it.

It wouldn't make any sense. Gideon and Eva are soul mates. 

Actually, Detective Graves has figured out the truth that Gideon loved Eva so much he killed to protect her from a dangerous maniac. When I say "fool the cops"I mean that even though the cops know the truth, they have an uphill battle trying to prove that love.

They're up against a possible defense strategy of "No way can you convince a jury Gideon Cross loved Eva Trammel so much he had very good motive to commit murder. Because their short lived relationship fell apart while Nathan Barker was still very much alive. And it fell apart for very good reason too. So someone else must have done it."

Right now, Gideon's defense strategy would be pretty much this: "There's only one woman Gideon Cross ever had a serious long-term relationship with -- Corrine. They were together for three years, including engaged for one year. She broke it off, married someone else, and moved away. He never really got over her though. And now suddenly she's moved back, has left her husband, and has made it crystal clear she's still in love with Gideon. She's decided after all these years to go back to him. Soon after she came back, he dumped Eva Trammel, who he'd been seeing just a few weeks, and decided to see if he and Corrine could work out again." It's kinda convincing, because a lot of it is true -- the Corrine side of things, anyway, and the fact they actually did have a serious long-term relationship.

BUT .....

The timing of Gideon "getting back together again with Corrine" is just a little too convenient. He started dating Corrine again only a few days before Nathan died. A prosecutor might be able to convince a jury to accept what's the actual real truth here: Corrine is nothing more than part of the plot Gideon built. Gideon's cover story is kinda lame. But what can you expect -- he threw everything together on short notice -- and he made several huge mistakes too.

SO .....

A much better possible defense strategy would be "Gideon Cross went to Corrine for comfort after Eva Trammel hurt him so badly he dumped Eva. In front of witnesses, he caught Eva in the arms of an ex-lover -- a rock star no less who happens to signed with Vidal Records. She made him look pretty bad. We've got a long list of people who were there that night who could testify how angry Gideon got, including having Eva forcibly removed from his sight. Why would Gideon Cross kill Nathan Barker nearly a week later?" It's a pretty good cover because most of it is true -- the part about what happened at the concert, that is.

Except can't they use the rock concert fight as a display of Gideons affection for Eva. He "lost control when seeing her kiss another man" and "picture how he would "loose control" when confronted by her former rapist/attacker/tormenter/step-brother".

I don't think it is Gideon and Eva ... Who it could be I don't no.. maybe victor and Monica?? The clothes are off to me there is something about them... I trying to guess through the snapshots and snippets were we are in the story. How far does everyone think we will get in chapter 1 next week??? Will we get some of our answers or have to wait again??

I don't think it is Gideon and Eva ... Who it could be I don't no.. maybe victor and Monica?? The clothes are off to me there is something about them... I trying to guess through the snapshots and snippets were we are in the story. How far does everyone think we will get in chapter 1 next week??? Will we get some of our answers or have to wait again??

i think it is safe to say that we will be waiting. Perhaps chapter 1 will include Gideons pov? We may not even get that far. Only a couple of hours into the story. Da*n it!!!