The New Entwined Clues Sylvia Is Posting

LN Cronan

I may be wrong but I got the feeling that Monica was distraught because she was playing the wealthy wife role and missed the signs of her daughter's trauma.  My guess is she volunteered a lot and as a result Eva was around Nathan too much alone--well actually with the staff that never gave Monica a head's up.  I feel like Monica was working so hard to get some status back after her parents disowned her eyes were closed.   I think she loves her daughter but she doesn't know how to make amends.  

In Elizabeth's case I'm thinking Christopher Sr. had something to do with the cover-up and bought off Dr. Terry.  It sounds like Elizabeth was fighting depression after her 1st husband's suicide and wanted to rebound with Vidal.  I'm not making excuses because there is no way that I allow my child to remain in a situation that caused him/her pain.  Even if there wasn't signs of physical abuse something was off she should have blocked the doctoral student from coming to her house. 

Of course I'm probably wrong.  I never figure out what going to happen next.  I guess that is why I'm a reader and not a writer.

Hi Sharonm745,

I think that many members in the forum don’t buy that Monica act.  If she had been around her daughter more; washed her underwear, gave her nightly baths, watched how Eva interacted with Nathan, or any of the other million things that a mother does for her child then she would have seen at least some of the physical and emotional signs of sexual abuse (I listed them in earlier postings for those who may be interested). 

The fact that Monica noticed nothing tells me that she was completely either out to “lunch†or that she shifted the responsibility of raising her daughter onto her household staff (which would have been wrong as well).  At the end of the day, it would never be the staff’s responsibility to let Monica know about what was going on with her Child.  Monica was the mother and it was her responsibility to see to her daughter’s welfare and safety.  Needless to say Monica was and is a super crappy mother!

I could have bought the whole Monica wanting to make amends with Eva thing except for the fact that at every single step and turn, Monica has continued to lie to her daughter and had kept her daughter in the dark about Nathan’s appearance in New York.  Monica knew and maybe saw for herself; the videotapes and photos of Nathan brutally raping and torturing Eva, why on this blessed loving earth would Monica not let her daughter know that her life was in danger? 

Monica and Clancy both saw Nathan wandering outside of the Crossfire building before his murder and still Monica decided to say nothing.  Why?  Then after Nathan was murdered, Eva found about Nathan from two strange detectives.  I could only imagine it would be like having the rug pulled out from under you…I couldn’t even imagine how devastated Eva must have been to find out about Nathan, but she didn’t even fully find out what was going on.

Monica went to Eva’s apartment after Nathan’s murder and it was Eva who started to fill her mother in on what she knew.  Monica was never forthcoming with any Nathan information.  Again it begs the question: Why?  Only after Eva started digging and questioning everyone including putting her mother on the spot did Monica tell Eva about Nathan trying to blackmail Stanton, the videotapes and photos?  Holy Crap!!!  How many passes is this woman supposed to get before someone just throws their hands up and says “Ok lady, you SUCK!!† 

As far as Elizabeth Vidal is concerned, I am waiting to see if Gideon reveals anything more about his relationship with his mother.  If Gideon chose to severe his relationship with his mother based on the fact that she didn’t believe him when he came to her and confessed that he was being abused, no one could fault him for that.  What I want to know is what else was going on in that family.  Somehow I think Elizabeth Vidal had a lot of help coming to the conclusion that her child was lying about the abuse. Even then, E.V. sucked as a mother, because she should have believed her child or at the very least should have given Gideon the benefit of the doubt.  She didn’t do either.

E.V. could have fired all the staff and hired help that may have been potentially connected with Gideon’s abuse and she also could have taken Gideon to the hospital to have an independent examination but she did neither.  She chose a very selfish road and put her needs and her family reputation above the needs and safety of her own son, which is deplorable in my eyes.

I think that the abuse scenario has polarized many in the group.  Everyone seems to be in their own corner waiting to see if their theories have been correct all along or whether Sylvia is going to throw her readers another curve ball.   We will each get to find out how rotten Monica, Elizabeth and Christopher Sr. have been or whether we may find a way to have a little compassion for them.  Who knows?  I hope we find out on June 4th.   What do you think?  What does everyone think?

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Julie,

I think that if and when Victor finds out about Eva’s rapes, I suspect that all h*** will break loose!  I couldn’t even imagine being a parent and being kept in the dark about something so serious and severe having happened to my child.  I would then be looking at the other parent wondering why in the “HE** WAS I NOT INFORMED ABOUT WHAT WAS GOING ON???â€

Somehow I think that everyone within a 10 mile radius would get an earful of how Victor would feel.  I also think that Victor might have mixed emotions about Nathan’s murder.  I am sure that he would be glad of Nathan’s demise but sad that he wasn’t the one to end his life.  I could see a reaction like that as being very normal for a parent.  What do you think?  What does everyone think?

Hi Jls1216,

I don’t think that Arnoldo cares about Gideon’s relationship with Eva, one way or another (I don’t know if men actually discuss or jump to conclusions about their friend’s relationships).  If he is Italian then he might have a little more compassion for Eva.  Italian men tend to be a little more passionate and a little more forgiving of women who may act impulsively. Fingers crossed. :)

Do you think that Arnoldo dislikes Eva, or do you think that maybe he would wait before making a judgment about Eva and Gideon’s relationship? What do you think?  What does everyone think?

in America, when patients with mental illnesses are released from prison or hospital, like Nathan, are the victims or their relatives not informed as a precaution? Can you see where I'm going with this?

in America, when patients with mental illnesses are released from prison or hospital, like Nathan, are the victims or their relatives not informed as a precaution? Can you see where I'm going with this?

Hi Julie,

I don’t think that it is mandatory for mental institutions to inform the victims or survivors of these individuals that they are going to be released.  I think that in some strange way, that because of the patient’s right to privacy, that information may be withheld purposely.

I think that it may also depend on the State.  I think legally, Nathan paid his debt to society and as such wouldn’t be obligated or required to inform anyone of his whereabouts.  The state would no longer have a legal claim on Nathan.  He wouldn’t be on parole and could go about his business any which way he pleased. 

The laws may be slightly different between Canada and the US, but I don’t think that they are that different.  What do the U.S. ladies in the forum think?  Maybe we could have a lawyer or two or three, jump in with their expertise. :)

Oh and FYI

SD Said we will get Snapshot 14 Friday and Snapshot 15 Monday because Chapter 1 is coming out Tuesday..! Oh.. No more snippets.!!! Just so you all know..! :)

Hi MrsCrossfire,

No more snippets?!  That is like a stab to the heart!! Urg!!! How are we supposed to go on without our snippets???!!!  :)

you mention about her being kept safe. While in Las Vegas Gideon says "don't think. Just listen, Eva . Who I am and what I've built makes me a target. You know the score, because you know what it's like to live with wealth and the attention it attracts". Their security has to 24/7, Nathan isn't the only nutter. I'm sure that Gideon, had ruffled a few feathers, while doing business.

Hi Julie,

It would stand to reason that Gideon would keep a protect eye on Eva.  You are absolutely correct in that Gideon is a very wealthy man who has probably ruffled more than a few feathers while building his empire and as such anyone around him could potentially become an inadvertent target for some crazed business rival.  What do you think? What does everyone think?

Can you imagine?? I think he would let us all down if he did lol

He'll use Corinne as he needs to and she'll let him. She'll try to make the moves on him, I'm quite sure, but it will never happen.

OR she might prove how insane she is and "go there" by drugging him and having her way with him.

Who knows! LOL but Gideon would never do anything intenionally to hurt Eva.

Hi Jenny,

Wowie zowie lady!!  Corinne drugging Gideon?  Wow, wow, wow!  I am starting to bite my nails in anticipation here.  I hope our happy couple gets their happily ever after. :)

as Gideon said after Eva had her nightmare, no ones ever going to hurt you again, they will have to go through me. NO ONE.! Are you listening Corrine!

Hi Julie,

Somehow I am so glad that Corinne is just a fictional character.  I swear at this point that girl would only be safe in a witness relocation program.  I think that if many of you saw her out in public, she may meet her demise. :)

Hi Sharonm745,

I think that many members in the forum don’t buy that Monica act.  If she had been around her daughter more; washed her underwear, gave her nightly baths, watched how Eva interacted with Nathan, or any of the other million things that a mother does for her child then she would have seen at least some of the physical and emotional signs of sexual abuse (I listed them in earlier postings for those who may be interested). 

The fact that Monica noticed nothing tells me that she was completely either out to “lunch†or that she shifted the responsibility of raising her daughter onto her household staff (which would have been wrong as well).  At the end of the day, it would never be the staff’s responsibility to let Monica know about what was going on with her Child.  Monica was the mother and it was her responsibility to see to her daughter’s welfare and safety.  Needless to say Monica was and is a super crappy mother!

I could have bought the whole Monica wanting to make amends with Eva thing except for the fact that at every single step and turn, Monica has continued to lie to her daughter and had kept her daughter in the dark about Nathan’s appearance in New York.  Monica knew and maybe saw for herself; the videotapes and photos of Nathan brutally raping and torturing Eva, why on this blessed loving earth would Monica not let her daughter know that her life was in danger? 

Monica and Clancy both saw Nathan wandering outside of the Crossfire building before his murder and still Monica decided to say nothing.  Why?  Then after Nathan was murdered, Eva found about Nathan from two strange detectives.  I could only imagine it would be like having the rug pulled out from under you…I couldn’t even imagine how devastated Eva must have been to find out about Nathan, but she didn’t even fully find out what was going on.

Monica went to Eva’s apartment after Nathan’s murder and it was Eva who started to fill her mother in on what she knew.  Monica was never forthcoming with any Nathan information.  Again it begs the question: Why?  Only after Eva started digging and questioning everyone including putting her mother on the spot did Monica tell Eva about Nathan trying to blackmail Stanton, the videotapes and photos?  Holy Crap!!!  How many passes is this woman supposed to get before someone just throws their hands up and says “Ok lady, you SUCK!!† 

As far as Elizabeth Vidal is concerned, I am waiting to see if Gideon reveals anything more about his relationship with his mother.  If Gideon chose to severe his relationship with his mother based on the fact that she didn’t believe him when he came to her and confessed that he was being abused, no one could fault him for that.  What I want to know is what else was going on in that family.  Somehow I think Elizabeth Vidal had a lot of help coming to the conclusion that her child was lying about the abuse. Even then, E.V. sucked as a mother, because she should have believed her child or at the very least should have given Gideon the benefit of the doubt.  She didn’t do either.

E.V. could have fired all the staff and hired help that may have been potentially connected with Gideon’s abuse and she also could have taken Gideon to the hospital to have an independent examination but she did neither.  She chose a very selfish road and put her needs and her family reputation above the needs and safety of her own son, which is deplorable in my eyes.

I think that the abuse scenario has polarized many in the group.  Everyone seems to be in their own corner waiting to see if their theories have been correct all along or whether Sylvia is going to throw her readers another curve ball.   We will each get to find out how rotten Monica, Elizabeth and Christopher Sr. have been or whether we may find a way to have a little compassion for them.  Who knows?  I hope we find out on June 4th.   What do you think?  What does everyone think?

It doesn't matter to me what Sylvia does or doesn't do to rehabilitate Monica's character...I detest her!! How lazy or disconnected can you possibly be not to participate in daily care of your child. I'm sure she had gobs of servants at her beck and call to do all the mundane household duties like laundry and cooking etc. Do you mean this would not leave her enough time to care for your beautiful little girl?? And how could she not notice the relationship between Eva and Nathan surely it must have been strained and I've said this before don't you think Eva was afraid to sleep in her own bed or had nightmares ?? Monica is a neurotic self absorbed woman and I don't care how beautiful she is I don't see how a smart guy like Stanton can tolerate her for any length of time LOL

Hi Julie,

It would stand to reason that Gideon would keep a protect eye on Eva.  You are absolutely correct in that Gideon is a very wealthy man who has probably ruffled more than a few feathers while building his empire and as such anyone around him could potentially become an inadvertent target for some crazed business rival.  What do you think? What does everyone think?

Absolutely true Eva might as well get used to the security when she becomes Mrs.Cross !!

It doesn't matter to me what Sylvia does or doesn't do to rehabilitate Monica's character...I detest her!! How lazy or disconnected can you possibly be not to participate in daily care of your child. I'm sure she had gobs of servants at her beck and call to do all the mundane household duties like laundry and cooking etc. Do you mean this would not leave her enough time to care for your beautiful little girl?? And how could she not notice the relationship between Eva and Nathan surely it must have been strained and I've said this before don't you think Eva was afraid to sleep in her own bed or had nightmares ?? Monica is a neurotic self absorbed woman and I don't care how beautiful she is I don't see how a smart guy like Stanton can tolerate her for any length of time LOL

Hi Sscrph,

I am in complete agreement with you!  I know that some people have seen Monica’s leaving her first husband as an honourable act, but I saw it more as an act of self-preservation.  She didn’t have another choice other than to lose her child and quite possibly her freedom (because of her neglect and selfishness).

At the end of the day, who cares?   I do hope that we get something by way of explaining Monica’s actions.  I think the fact that Stanton stays with Monica says a lot more about him then Monica. Why is Monica desirable as a partner that someone would want to continue to clean up her messes?  What is Stanton’s deal anyway?

Hi Julie,

After reading and rereading this book, it almost seems like Gideon and Eva are acting like a couple of teenagers in their first relationship.  It is almost like they are reliving their teenage years for the first time.  What do you think?  What does everyone think?

Well it is definitely a first love for both of them and the fact that Gideon knows all of Eva's BAD and Eva knows most of Gideon's BAD makes it the first open and honest relationship they've both had. Remember because of their abuse they both tried to hide themselves from other people especially potential love interests so hence the title "Bared to You"...

Hi Sscrph,

I am in complete agreement with you!  I know that some people have seen Monica’s leaving her first husband as an honourable act, but I saw it more as an act of self-preservation.  She didn’t have another choice other than to lose her child and quite possibly her freedom (because of her neglect and selfishness).

At the end of the day, who cares?   I do hope that we get something by way of explaining Monica’s actions.  I think the fact that Stanton stays with Monica says a lot more about him then Monica. Why is Monica desirable as a partner that someone would want to continue to clean up her messes?  What is Stanton’s deal anyway?

I do agree with whoever stated on another post that Monica probably would have lost Eva to CPS if she had not divorced Mr. Barker so I don't think it was that honorable. Any mother that loses custody of their child is looked upon with disdain and you know how Monica is all about appearances...

Hi Nathalia,

I think that Victor should have been told about what was going on with his daughter.  Victor could have protected Eva if given half of a chance.  But Monica purposely kept him in the dark.  Why?  Did Monica have so little faith in Victor that she thought that he wouldn’t be able to help or was she afraid that Victor would blame her for her obvious mistakes?  What do you think?  What does everyone think?

I do agree with whoever stated on another post that Monica probably would have lost Eva to CPS if she had not divorced Mr. Barker so I don't think it was that honorable. Any mother that loses custody of their child is looked upon with disdain and you know how Monica is all about appearances...

Hi Sscrph,

It was me that stated Monica would have lost custody of Eva had she not divorced Mr. Barker.  There was no way that Monica would have been able to talk, or beg, or flirt her way out of such a terrible situation.  Any CPS worker would have taken a look at the situation and started asking questions about what kind of mother Monica had been thus far.

The first time that Nathan raped Eva, that was solely on Nathan's shoulders.  Every subsequent time that Nathan raped Eva, some of that blame fell on Monica's shoulders.  She wasn't paying attention to her daughter and it seemed that she wasn't actively involved in her daughter's life (or even Nathan's life for that fact). 

I think that whatever Monica did, she did mostly for herself.  I also don't think that Monica was right in keeping Victor in the dark and actually I have to wonder how she did that given Victor being a cop and his connections.  What do you think?  What does everyone think?

Getting back to Eva's safety, and how Gideon feels about her, twice he has mentioned that he wouldn't survive her. The last time it was mentioned, they were having their chat in the car, at he end of Reflected. It goes to show his state of mind, if anything were to happen to her. This controlling, ball breaking, man is so fragile. It's heartbreaking.

OMG--I feel the same way..

It's as if the shell around his heart has been broken and Gideon is now able to truly love someone for the first time in his life...

Hi Sscrph,

It was me that stated Monica would have lost custody of Eva had she not divorced Mr. Barker.  There was no way that Monica would have been able to talk, or beg, or flirt her way out of such a terrible situation.  Any CPS worker would have taken a look at the situation and started asking questions about what kind of mother Monica had been thus far.

The first time that Nathan raped Eva, that was solely on Nathan's shoulders.  Every subsequent time that Nathan raped Eva, some of that blame fell on Monica's shoulders.  She wasn't paying attention to her daughter and it seemed that she wasn't actively involved in her daughter's life (or even Nathan's life for that fact). 

I think that whatever Monica did, she did mostly for herself.  I also don't think that Monica was right in keeping Victor in the dark and actually I have to wonder how she did that given Victor being a cop and his connections.  What do you think?  What does everyone think?

I hope the subsequent books will shed some light on this!!

KiMa, I agree with you. I am doing double duty. I am reading my chapter a day but like everyone can't put it down so reading through. Reading RIY now looking for new clues from our discussions from BIY. Each time I read find new revelations

Waiting for June 4, oh well so much for an Anniversary celebration. Hubby will have to wait till I'm done.

So many questions I am left with indeed. The more I read over both books, the more questions I am left with.

Prison - yes. Crime victims (and in the case of murder victims, family members) commonly are informed when a convict is getting released shortly. Many times they even get notified when a convict is seeking early release on parole. The notice gives them a chance to try to prevent the convict from being granted parole.

Mental hospitals, no. Unfortunately. There's never been a long-standing system to automatically notify victims. And in recent years, very strict privacy laws on medical records has made it even harder to get information about mental patients (about any patients, actually.)

Which is one of the reasons Gideon rightfully was scared -- scared of a system where if Nathan hurt Eva, he possibly would be locked up in a mental hospital again instead of prison, treated, deemed fit for release, and sent back out into the community -- probably with Eva not being told he'd been released. Thus the danger to her would always exist.

thanks for that. Explains a lot. In Gideons eyes this problem, i.e. Nathan, wasn't going away. Oh Gideon!

Or you could move to Canada. :)  Canada is a very lovely country with many, many fine features. :) 

hih Gigi

Canada is one place I would emigrate to, such a beautiful place. My daughter went to Vancouver last year for her honeymoon. They loved it so much they going there again next year. You never know, I could end up on your doorstep! :)