The New Entwined Clues Sylvia Is Posting

LN Cronan

I dragged my husband to the meet & greet and he was having fun even though he never read the books, lol he thinks I spend way too much time on here discussing the books. He told me to find a few people on here to do have the discussion group in person. I told him not everyone lives in NJ or the US! men lol 

caroline

Your very welcome to come to the UK and sample some of our hospitality. Your all welcome. Hey wouldn't that be fun, our own convention. :)

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LN would better be able to answer this, but I think in NY to be a police officer you have to take a citywide test, and then wait for your number to be called. LN do you know if the NYPD does accept out of city transfers, and wouldn't Victor still be expected to complete training at the academy?

hi Kirsten

I hope I'm wrong but I think it w ill be about Graves and the case, as it's probably only a week into the book, which is supposed to cover just 2 weeks

LN would better be able to answer this, but I think in NY to be a police officer you have to take a citywide test, and then wait for your number to be called. LN do you know if the NYPD does accept out of city transfers, and wouldn't Victor still be expected to complete training at the academy?

I talk to my brother...whenever an out of state cop comes to NYC to work...they have to retake tests and go through psyc vals and everything a new hire would go through.

I talk to my brother...whenever an out of state cop comes to NYC to work...they have to retake tests and go through psyc vals and everything a new hire would go through.

Thanks Donnad. Then I have to assume that it can't be about Victor coming to work for the NYPD. LN's Graves theory makes the most sense to me right now.

Every person who ever becomes a police officer starts off by getting accepted to a police academy. That's where the formal education of a police officer starts. It's very competitive to get into police academies. There are waiting lists. And for the most elite police departments (major cities like New York and Los Angeles) usually, would-be applicants have to take a test and score well to even get onto the waiting list for a chance to get into the academy.

All cops start low on the totem pole, often as ordinary officers. Some cops, for various reasons, make a career out of being street level cops for various reasons. For some, it's a desire to work directly with crime victims and arrest criminals instead of getting a cushier desk job, which is higher-level and less dangerous. Eva's Dad, Victor, is still a street cop, so he comes across as someone who is in the work to help people, not just advance a career.

There are two different ladders to climb in the police field. One is through the investigation ranks, where the top of the ladder is detective (and the elite of the elite is homicide detective.) The other is through management ranks, where the top of the ladder is to become a chief of police. Generally, it takes excellent management skills, some political influence and some @$$ kissing to become a police chief. There's only one way to become a detective though -- be better than his/her peers in solving cases that lead to criminals getting convicted.

It's not uncommon for someone to start out as a street cop for a less prestigious police force, build an excellent record of solving crimes, and then apply for and get accepted for a job at a bigger police department. It is, though, unusual for cops to apply for jobs in other states outside of the state in which they went to the police academy. Every one of the 50 states has it's own set of criminal laws, criminal procedures, etc. For someone to apply for a cop job in another state (say from California to New York) he or she would need special police academy training in the new state.

By the way, this same system applies to lawyers. Usually, they attend a law school in the state where they want to work, so that their courses include the laws for that particular state along with the general laws that apply everywhere. Then he or she must pass the "bar exam" for the state in which he/she wants to practice law.

Bottom line, conceivably Victor could leave his cop career in California for a new cop career in New York. But it wouldn't be a simple job change. No way could he simply jump from street cop to detective. Detective positions are hard won on merit. It's like playing for a major league sports team. A person has to be very talented to be a big league player -- or be a detective.

Here is a funny scenario, the case is dropped. Graves knows who the real killer and since she cant do anything about it, she resigns from the force. She then moves to California and hooks up with Victor and finally gets to go to Disneyland (where she has wanted to go since she was a kid) Everyone gets their HEA.

Just something to laugh about

the romantic -

Victor is probably very close to being able to retire from the force with full benefits they usually only have to serve 20 years or so. If Eva marries Gideon and stays in New York Victor may decide to move there permanently. I'm sure if he wants to work he can always get a job on Gideon's security team!!

Victor is probably very close to being able to retire from the force with full benefits they usually only have to serve 20 years or so. If Eva marries Gideon and stays in New York Victor may decide to move there permanently. I'm sure if he wants to work he can always get a job on Gideon's security team!!

I can't imagine Victor working for Gideon. He could certainly find private work in NYC though.

Every person who ever becomes a police officer starts off by getting accepted to a police academy. That's where the formal education of a police officer starts. It's very competitive to get into police academies. There are waiting lists. And for the most elite police departments (major cities like New York and Los Angeles) usually, would-be applicants have to take a test and score well to even get onto the waiting list for a chance to get into the academy.

All cops start low on the totem pole, often as ordinary officers. Some cops, for various reasons, make a career out of being street level cops for various reasons. For some, it's a desire to work directly with crime victims and arrest criminals instead of getting a cushier desk job, which is higher-level and less dangerous. Eva's Dad, Victor, is still a street cop, so he comes across as someone who is in the work to help people, not just advance a career.

There are two different ladders to climb in the police field. One is through the investigation ranks, where the top of the ladder is detective (and the elite of the elite is homicide detective.) The other is through management ranks, where the top of the ladder is to become a chief of police. Generally, it takes excellent management skills, some political influence and some ###### kissing to become a police chief. There's only one way to become a detective though -- be better than his/her peers in solving cases that lead to criminals getting convicted.

It's not uncommon for someone to start out as a street cop for a less prestigious police force, build an excellent record of solving crimes, and then apply for and get accepted for a job at a bigger police department. It is, though, unusual for cops to apply for jobs in other states outside of the state in which they went to the police academy. Every one of the 50 states has it's own set of criminal laws, criminal procedures, etc. For someone to apply for a cop job in another state (say from California to New York) he or she would need special police academy training in the new state.

By the way, this same system applies to lawyers. Usually, they attend a law school in the state where they want to work, so that their courses include the laws for that particular state along with the general laws that apply everywhere. Then he or she must pass the "bar exam" for the state in which he/she wants to practice law.

Bottom line, conceivably Victor could leave his cop career in California for a new cop career in New York. But it wouldn't be a simple job change. No way could he simply jump from street cop to detective. Detective positions are hard won on merit. It's like playing for a major league sports team. A person has to be very talented to be a big league player -- or be a detective.

Thanks LN.

Here is a funny scenario, the case is dropped. Graves knows who the real killer and since she cant do anything about it, she resigns from the force. She then moves to California and hooks up with Victor and finally gets to go to Disneyland (where she has wanted to go since she was a kid) Everyone gets their HEA.

Just something to laugh about

rcmcap...Tha'ts hysterical! :)

I think maybe the badge just has to do w/ Graves...Something w/ the case obviously, no? Maybe they're not pursuing the case anymore. It doesn't have to be a 'high profile' case if it isn't leaked anywhere that Gideon is a murder suspect. Maybe it could just quietly go away....lol..

And maybe the next snapshot will be of something happy and fun! Champagne celebration of not having to hide or be afraid of getting locked up! :)

Boy oh boy....I really can not wait for this book! I too hope that chapter one is really really long....like...half the book long....lol j/k (not really ;) )

I think maybe the badge just has to do w/ Graves...Something w/ the case obviously, no? Maybe they're not pursuing the case anymore. It doesn't have to be a 'high profile' case if it isn't leaked anywhere that Gideon is a murder suspect. Maybe it could just quietly go away....lol..

And maybe the next snapshot will be of something happy and fun! Champagne celebration of not having to hide or be afraid of getting locked up! :)

Boy oh boy....I really can not wait for this book! I too hope that chapter one is really really long....like...half the book long....lol j/k (not really ;) )

Good news is we only have to wait until Mon for the next snapshot : )

Whatever monicas issue is she doesn't deserve victor. She is very materialistic. She made a choice and it wasn't him.

She wouldn't even allow Eva to have Victor's last name and she also didn't allow him to have a big part of Eva's life. He only got to be her in life when she went to San Diego to get away from Monica's smothering. This poor guy needs a happy ending and monica needs a lobotomy lol  

LMAO GiGi "dirt nap." Corinne certainly does need to loosen up. I thought Brett would be good for Mags. ;) But Corrine could certainly work also.

There was FB chatter yesterday on a book bloggers page about Megumi. This was her question:

"Am I the only one suspicious of MEGUMI, Eva's colleague, and the random references to her blind date thrown in here and there in REFLECTED IN YOU??"

What does everyone think?

I totally thought the same thing like her blind date being Vidal Jr. Or someone else Evs wouldn't want her friend with.

LMAO GiGi "dirt nap." Corinne certainly does need to loosen up. I thought Brett would be good for Mags. ;) But Corrine could certainly work also.

There was FB chatter yesterday on a book bloggers page about Megumi. This was her question:

"Am I the only one suspicious of MEGUMI, Eva's colleague, and the random references to her blind date thrown in here and there in REFLECTED IN YOU??"

What does everyone think?

I totally thought the same thing like her blind date being Vidal Jr. Or someone else Eva wouldn't want her friend with.

GiGi ...   In regard to Gideon maybe taking the ring off when he's with Corrine.

Chapter 17/RIY  when they are in the elevator and he gives her back her ring he says to her ......I never take it off. I won't. Ever.  

So I'm thinking he wears it even when he's with Corrine, if he explains its signifiance to her is another question.  We all sorta know that he has told her their reunion is only 'as friends' like Magdalene, a companion for social events only, no sex.  Cause even with his FP @ the hotel cleared out, I don't think he would a..cheat on Eva and b.. never have sex anywhere else, he never did before .  

She wouldn't even allow Eva to have Victor's last name and she also didn't allow him to have a big part of Eva's life. He only got to be her in life when she went to San Diego to get away from Monica's smothering. This poor guy needs a happy ending and monica needs a lobotomy lol  

I always had the impression that Eva had a relationship with her dad from the time she was very young.  Even though it wasn’t what Victor wanted Monica allowed Victor to be a part of Eva’s life.  “My mother refused to marry him, but he’d never wavered from his determination to be my dad in every way possible.†In Bared to You.    I thought this meant that Victor spent time with Eva and checked up on her often.

In Reflected in You Eva was thinking about her mom “I couldn’t ignore how she’d managed to avoid seeing or talking to him since I’d become old enough to communicate with him directly† I interpreted this comment to mean that once Eva was old enough to call her dad and visit him herself Monica completely broke and contact with him but she never kept Eva away from Victor.

Do you all look at this differently?

I'm caught up with all the posts on this thread.  It is very interesting to hear everyone's point of view.  Some comments I agree with and some I'm not so sure.  I'm really happy that I found this site.  It is a fun way to pass the time until the next book comes out.  I don't usually buy this type of book (series that build on previous books) until the whole story is in print.  I originally read that this was a trilogy and I thought all three books were published.  I have only waited 3 weeks for the 3rd booth to be released.  I'm happy I didn't start reading last year; I would be out of my mind waiting for the next installment.  Now that I know there is going to be a book 4 & 5 I'm happy the story is going to continue but I'm not sure how I'm going to manage the long wait time between releases. 

At least I found some fans here who can share the angst.  Great website.