The New Entwined Clues Sylvia Is Posting

LN Cronan

the only other explanation I can think of Nathan being at the Crossfire the day Monica saw him which was a week after the lipstick/Corrine incident would be that he was stalking Eva or was there to try and intimidate Eva at her work.......

I am so glad you brought this up about the whole lipstick fiasco. Can someone please explain this to me? Did Corrine see Gideon that day that she was at the Crossfire Bldg or was she there to see someone else and just make Eva jealous?

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so glad you brought this up about the whole lipstick fiasco. Can someone please explain this to me? Did Corrine see Gideon that day that she was at the Crossfire Bldg or was she there to see someone else and just make Eva jealous?

corrine went to se Gideon, but he was thumping Nathan! So Corrine used the time to make Eva jealous at lunchtime with her just f*cked look.

I think Corrine, all of a sudden desperate because of how Gideon ran after Eva the night before, showed up unannounced hoping to see him. Trying to catch him at lunchtime was her best bet -- probably her only bet. Chasing Gideon over the telephone wasn't going to cut it anymore -- Corrine needed to start chasing him in person. She was probably counting on him seeing her.

My guess: when she arrived, she saw Angus parked at the curb, where Angus was supposed to drive Gideon to a lunch meeting offsite (one Gideon blew off because of the crisis he had going on upstairs, Nathan in his office.) Corrine probably lurked in the lobby waiting to catch Gideon as he came through. Then she spotted Eva through the front glass walls of the lobby, standing across the street. On evil impulse, pulled the "stunt." Went out to see Angus, who by that point figuring Gideon wasn't coming down after all, offered to drive Corrine home.

Note: Angus would have known Corrine fairly well while she and Gideon were engaged. Angus started working for Gideon at age 20. Gideon and Corrine were together for three years, roughly his age 18 to 21. The final year, they were engaged. So Angus must have driven Corrine a lot.

Love Angus, though, that morning Eva hopped in the Bentley, after days and days and days of refusing rides. Then Eva ordered him to drive her to Corrine's residence. Hah!!! Angus must have thought "oh s***" inside, but he did what Eva asked.

I think Corrine, all of a sudden desperate because of how Gideon ran after Eva the night before, showed up unannounced hoping to see him. Trying to catch him at lunchtime was her best bet -- probably her only bet. Chasing Gideon over the telephone wasn't going to cut it anymore -- Corrine needed to start chasing him in person. She was probably counting on him seeing her.

My guess: when she arrived, she saw Angus parked at the curb, where Angus was supposed to drive Gideon to a lunch meeting offsite (one Gideon blew off because of the crisis he had going on upstairs, Nathan in his office.) Corrine probably lurked in the lobby waiting to catch Gideon as he came through. Then she spotted Eva through the front glass walls of the lobby, standing across the street. On evil impulse, pulled the "stunt." Went out to see Angus, who by that point figuring Gideon wasn't coming down after all, offered to drive Corrine home.

Note: Angus would have known Corrine fairly well while she and Gideon were engaged. Angus started working for Gideon at age 20. Gideon and Corrine were together for three years, roughly his age 18 to 21. The final year, they were engaged. So Angus must have driven Corrine a lot.

Love Angus, though, that morning Eva hopped in the Bentley, after days and days and days of refusing rides. Then Eva ordered him to drive her to Corrine's residence. Hah!!! Angus must have thought "oh s***" inside, but he did what Eva asked.

Thank you! But wait woah woah woah I am so lost. Forgive my ignorance but Nathan was in the room with Gideon? Or did he just get back from doing what he had to do to Nathan and that is why it looked like lipstick on his shirt when it was really blood? Sorry again I am a little slow sometimes ;)

Thank you! But wait woah woah woah I am so lost. Forgive my ignorance but Nathan was in the room with Gideon? Or did he just get back from doing what he had to do to Nathan and that is why it looked like lipstick on his shirt when it was really blood? Sorry again I am a little slow sometimes ;)

nathan went to see Gideon to show him photos of Eva being tortured and raped, wanting money for not showing them to the media. Gideon seeing them probably blew a gasket hitting Nathan, struggling knocking furniture askew. Hence Eva thinking Gideon was cheating on her with Corrine. The lipstick was actually blood from Nathan .

nathan went to see Gideon to show him photos of Eva being tortured and raped, wanting money for not showing them to the media. Gideon seeing them probably blew a gasket hitting Nathan, struggling knocking furniture askew. Hence Eva thinking Gideon was cheating on her with Corrine. The lipstick was actually blood from Nathan .

Julie thank you so much! Now it all makes sense :)

I think Cary loves Eva like a brother. They have learned to support each other emotionally. Personally, I think Cary is even more damaged than Eva. He hasn't figured out how to move on with his life in a constructive way yet. Cary leans on Eva to keep him moving forward. I don't think he is jealous of Gideon and Eva’s relationship but I think he is afraid that he won't survive without Eva's help and he doesn’t know how he will fit in Eva’s life if she is in a permanent relationship.

Also, I think Eva mentioned one time that his career is dependent on his good looks. So in addition to the emotional damage he is very insecure about what his future will be if he can't model. My guess his good looks were blamed for his abuse by whomever his abuser was.

I agree. Have you noticed that Cary never once specifically uses the words 'I love you" to Eva he always says things like "back atcha baby girl" To me that spoke volumes that he can feel love but can't express it not even to Eva who is without a doubt the most important person in his life.xj

I just looked at the snapshot for today again and I'm wondering if Gideon is pulling the covers/sheets off Eva. At first I thought he was clutching the sheets but I only found references of Eva clutching sheets in the first two books...unless I missed one.

BTY when Eva spends the night with Gideon for the time after the hotel. She says he fisted the bottom sheet during his nightmare.

BTY when Eva spends the night with Gideon for the time after the hotel. She says he fisted the bottom sheet during his nightmare.

Thanks I thought I read something like that but I couldn't find it.   I hope he pulls the sheet off Eva but I'm sure he will have more nightmares before he can move on.

I wonder if the murder is going to make Gideon's nightmare's Worst..!??

I was thinking the murder doesn't necessarily make his nightmare's worse but possibly opening up to Eva might trigger some.  Eva was going around talking to his family about his abuse. Or maybe he will go back to Dr. Petersen and that will bring some memories to the surface causing more dreams.  

I was thinking the murder doesn't necessarily make his nightmare's worse but possibly opening up to Eva might trigger some. Eva was going around talking to his family about his abuse. Or maybe he will go back to Dr. Petersen and that will bring some memories to the surface causing more dreams.

I believe that too. With him opening will open his wombs

When I first saw the picture for chapter 14 with the detective shield I though "oh cra* their back!" Followed by, "wait its only been maybe a week so they never really went away, and maybe they will be going away now!"

Then I see chapter 15 and realize Gideon is gripping the sheets hoping it is not another nightmare. I'm hopeful its Eva "topping" him instead :-D

Chapter Fourteen of Bared To You - The Reader's Guide

This chapter unfolds Thursday (day eleven.)

Key plot developments:

• Rather than talk about what's behind his sexually violent nightmares, Gideon dumped Eva via a "Dear Jane" note at work.
  • Gideon did, however, talk to Stanton about what Eva told him (Gideon) concerning Nathan, a conversation we hear about second hand from a mortified Monica. 
  • Gideon's half-brother, Christopher, invited Eva and Cary to a music industry party the Vidal family had planned for that coming Sunday afternoon at their estate.
  • Eva joined her mother for a joint therapy appointment she (Eva) requested with Monica's therapist.

New characters:

Dr. Petersen - mentioned in passing several times before, this chapter is where he appears in a scene for the first time.

Gideon ends the relationship

Eva had walked out on Gideon Wednesday night because he lied to her when she asked for honesty about his sexually-violent nightmare that had awoken them both.

She texted him when she arrived home safe. But he didn't call, not then, nor call the next day.

Instead, he dumped her via a note at her office early Thursday afternoon. "Thank you, Eva, for everything. Yours, G." (page 206)

Eva's reactions were fear, agony - and anger. Anger that Gideon's had kicked her out of his orderly world because she'd threatened the status quo.

Cary later offered Eva this keen insight: "You know the drill, Eva. He's going to keep pushing you away, because he's expecting you to fail him like everyone else has." (page 211)

She (and we readers) had no way of knowing at the time that the incident with the nightmare was figuratively Gideon's worst nightmare. His whole adult sex life up to that point had been confined to hotel sex in order to avoid spending an entire night with a woman. His being horribly victimized as a young teen left him with a deep sense of shame and feelings he wasn't worthy of love. As an adult, he knew sooner or later, if he literally slept with a woman (as in fell asleep alongside her) she'd witness one of his nightmares, and would leave him in disgust.  This problem even stood in the way of him getting married.

Eva intuitively sensed some sort of sexual trauma must be involved. She walked out that night not out of being triggered by her own sexual demons, but because she'd learned in therapy dishonesty is a deal-breaker.

As upset as she had been Wednesday night, she hadn't planned on breaking up with Gideon. All along, she planned to try to work through the problem. By Thursday morning, she was already questioning whether she might have been wrong to have left his apartment.

But the next day, Gideon didn't dare even talk to her, not even on the phone, because he was too afraid. So he ended things via a notecard.

More Eva family drama

Though Gideon did not have the courage to even speak with Eva anymore, he still was gravely concerned about all she'd revealed to him concerning Nathan. Knowing that Stanton had paid money in recent years to help tighten the secrecy of the old legal proceedings, Gideon went to see Stanton at his (Stanton's) office.

A distraught Monica told Eva about it. "He wanted to know what's been done to prevent information leaks. And he wanted to know where Nathan is .... he wanted to know everything." (pages 207-208)

In return, Eva told her mother Gideon had the night to know to protect himself from blowback if the Nathan story got out and turned into a scandal that would tarnish Gideon's celebrity image.

Thursday evening, Eva attended the joint therapy session she'd demanded requested with her mother's therapist, Dr. Petersen, to discuss Monica having stalked Eva via a cell phone Monica had given her.

Dr. Petersen, who has been treating Monica for seriously dysfunctional obsessions over Eva's safety, even though Eva is a grown woman, reminded Monica in the session that what she (Monica) had done with the cell phone was wrong.

He reminded Monica that Eva needs both boundaries and a sense of control over her life, things that were taken from Eva a long time ago (when Nathan brutally victimized her from ages 10-14.)

After the appointment ended, Eva got a moment alone with the doctor to ask "Is it possible for two abuse survivors to have a functional romantic relationship?" (page 211). Dr. Petersen assured her "absolutely."

Two people connected to Gideon try to connect with Eva

Prior to the "Dear Jane" note on Thursday, which arrived mid-afternoon, two people connected to Gideon separately sought her out. One failed, one succeeded.

The failure was Magdalene, who showed up unannounced Thursday morning in the reception area at the advertising agency where Eva works. Rather than agree to see Magdalene, Eva immediately called upstairs to Gideon's assistant Scott, and asked him to send someone to get rid of her -- a ploy that worked. The agency main receptionist, Megumi,  reported with glee that Magdalene got upset when someone from Gideon's staff arrived to fetch her.

Christopher Vidal Jr., Gideon's half-brother, succeeded in reaching Eva - went to lunch with her, in fact. His reason for seeing her was to invite her to a garden party his parents were throwing on Sunday at their estate, a music industry celebrity mixer for Vidal Records. Christopher used Cary as leverage, suggesting the exposure would be good for Cary's modeling career.

Christopher admitted Gideon likely wouldn't go too,  because he never went to such events, despite being the majority shareholder in Vidal Records.

Christopher also explained Gideon's parents really wanted to meet her. Based on the photos published in the past few days (which included two separate occasions of displays of passion), the family concluded, "It's the first time we've seen him really into someone he's dating." (page 204).

Christopher had no way of knowing (nor did Eva during lunchtime) the new relationship had already fallen apart.  

Chapter A Day Re-Read Project - Today is Chapter Fifteen of Bared

This chapter starts Friday (day 12) and goes into Sunday (day 14)

Key plot developments:

• Gideon ended four days of zero contact with Eva on Sunday, tracking her down at the afternoon party his family was holding at their estate.
  • Gideon begged Eva for another chance, sorry about how things had gone Wednesday night (her walking out on him) and Thursday (him dumping her via a "Dear Jane" note.) As a show of his commitment to work on their relationship problems, he'd entered individual therapy and had set up couples therapy.
  • They made love in the library of his parents' mansion.

Once each of us has read Chapter Fifteen, our homework assignment from Sylvia herself is for each of us to pick our favorite quote or paragraph.

The chapter re-reads also have been the springboard here for lots of discussion. We're continuing to touch upon the chapter of the day, but even more, discussion has been jumping backward into the earlier chapters and forward in the story (even into Reflected and the Entwined snippets) as the re-reading leads us to analyze how different parts of the Crossfire saga have been connecting.

Throwing out random thoughts about Chapter Fourteen.

Gideon's brother, Christopher, really was a creep, telling Eva on Thursday he and his family was psyched about the new relationship.

• Wednesday the tabloids had been running rampant with false rumors Eva was juggling two boyfriends (Gideon and Cary) and that Gideon the playboy was juggling at least two socialites (Eva and Magdalene). There even were pictures of Eva/Cary looking relaxed and loving over lunch and Gideon/Magdalene smiling outside a restaurant hours later at dinnertime. 
  • Knowing d*** well that Gideon has never attended any of these parties the Vidals throw at their estate, he manipulated Eva into agreeing to come with Cary.
  • Magdalene was on the guest list too, something Eva wouldn't have known about -- and certainly would not have known Magdalene's longtime closeness to the Vidal family.
  • I'm sure that S of a B was gleefully thinking about all the drama that would erupt, in the middle of a very fancy party and behind his brother's back.
  • He probably had these sick fantasies of Magdalene and Eva having a cat fight. He'd f*** Magdalene on Sunday, then set about getting Eva into bed. After all, Eva demonstrated she's not adverse to having multiple lovers simultaneously (so Christopher had been led to falsely believe, thanks to the gossip mongers.)

In Chapter Fourteen, Gideon asked Stanton if he (Stanton) knew where Nathan now was.

• Did Gideon hunt down Nathan first, or was it Nathan who hunted down him (and Eva) because Nathan learned she (and Monica too) now lived in New York City?
  • Gideon had vowed to Eva he's make Nathan wish he were dead. That's NOT the same thing as I want to kill him. But imagine how bad "wish he were dead" could potentially come back to haunt if Gideon said words to that effect to Stanton.
  • Is this why the cops later got copies of videotape from Stanton's office? To document how far in advance of Nathan's death Gideon had met with Stanton?
  • We know, too, through Monica, the cops have been hounding Stanton. Maybe in addition to trying to use Eva against Gideon, the cops had pressured Stanton about Gideon?
  • Did Stanton, wanting to protect himself and Monica from any sort of conspiracy charges in Nathan's killing, throw Gideon under the bus?

When Eva asked Dr. Petersen if it were possible for two abuse survivors to have a relationship, I think Eva hadn't yet totally thrown in the towel with Gideon.

• This is a huge change from the beginning of the week, when Eva most certainly had washed her hands of Gideon after how he'd mistreated her Saturday night. By Monday, she had been determined to never, ever see him again. It took everything he had to change her mind.
  • Yet here it was Thursday, and Gideon had dumped her. Angry and hurt though she was, she hadn't decided "well good riddance -- I ought never to have given in to him on Monday anyway." Sometime between Monday and Thursday, Eva's feelings had grown from strong physical attraction to deep emotional attraction. She fell in love with him, in other words, that week.

LN, you wrote:

â—¾"Did Gideon hunt down Nathan first, or was it Nathan who hunted down him (and Eva) because Nathan learned she (and Monica too) now lived in New York City?"

Whoa! I never thought that perhaps Gideon hunted Nathan first...

I assumed that it was Nathan who hunted Eva/Gideon first...

Interesting..

Timeline:

• Gideon went to see Stanton on a Thursday.
  • By then, Eva and Gideon had been in the news for two-plus solid days, including photos.
  • Gideon's first confrontation with Nathan happened in his (Gideon's office) just over a week later (Friday) during lunchtime.
  • Gideon did last-minute cancel a lunch meeting he had that Friday, leaving Angus waiting in vain downstairs to drive him.

????????

Timeline:

• Gideon went to see Stanton on a Thursday.
  • By then, Eva and Gideon had been in the news for two-plus solid days, including photos.
  • Gideon's first confrontation with Nathan happened in his (Gideon's office) just over a week later (Friday) during lunchtime.
  • Gideon did last-minute cancel a lunch meeting he had that Friday, leaving Angus waiting in vain downstairs to drive him.

????????

Could just the media coverage be what lured Nathan to New York.? Googling Eva's name, would have pulled up posts.

Could just the media coverage be what lured Nathan to New York.? Googling Eva's name, would have pulled up posts.

Among the stash of stuff the cops later found proving Nathan was stalking Eva were pictures of her -- obviously, that would have included various online photos and stories. How else did he learn Cary was at the very least her roommate and probably one of her boyfriends too? Because there were true reports Cary lived with Eva and false speculations the arrangement involved more than shared living space. It's the reason Nathan told Cary to stay away from "her" as Nathan went postal on him with the bat.

So the most likely scenario is Nathan went to Gideon first, not Gideon tracked down Nathan. However, the latter is a possibility. Stanton in all likelihood knew of Nathan's current whereabouts. And via Monica, we know Gideon asked for that information. A little more than a week passed between that meeting with Stanton and Gideon having Nathan in his own office.

Among the stash of stuff the cops later found proving Nathan was stalking Eva were pictures of her -- obviously, that would have included various online photos and stories. How else did he learn Cary was at the very least her roommate and probably one of her boyfriends too? Because there were true reports Cary lived with Eva and false speculations the arrangement involved more than shared living space. It's the reason Nathan told Cary to stay away from "her" as Nathan went postal on him with the bat.

So the most likely scenario is Nathan went to Gideon first, not Gideon tracked down Nathan. However, the latter is a possibility. Stanton in all likelihood knew of Nathan's current whereabouts. And via Monica, we know Gideon asked for that information. A little more than a week passed between that meeting with Stanton and Gideon having Nathan in his own office.

So many questions.....