Gideon DID kill Nathan -- that's official from Sylvia in a live interview

LN Cronan

I think Eva didn't go to live near or with him until later in her life like late high school and college. He did pick up on her out of control wild behavior and helped her get treatment with Dr. Travis. That is where she first met Cary.

Hi Peachies,

How much contact do you think Victor had with Eva in the early years?  Do you think that he had visitation rights or was it more of a telephone and correspondence type relationship?  What does everyone think?

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Peachies

Would you think Victor would not see his daughter till she was in her late teen. They seem to have a good relationship. I would like o think that Victor was there for Eva in her early days as well.

Hi Julie,

In one of the books (I think it was BTY) Eva talks about paying her student loans. She said she wanted to pay them in her own but lost that argument to Stanton and her dad. Eva says something about her dad never waivered to be her dad in every possible way. Later (maybe in RIY) she said something about Victor only being really involved for the past 4 years. (while she was living with or near him)

I think if they had visitation together I think Eva would have put on a happy face as she had been groomed to do (living in high society)

I find it hard to believe that Eva wouldn't have refused to sleep in her own bedroom during those years; I think Monica must have been a complete idiot . She is my least favorite character in the book and a complete fake in my opinion not to mention a failure as a mother. The extreme guilt she lives with is well deserved...

Hi Sscrph,

I think that Monica deserves any guilt she may feel toward her role in Eva's situation.  I am sure that Eva was probably afraid to sleep in her own bed by herelf.  She may have cried or been very panicky when being left alone or with the household staff. I don't know how Monica didn't pick up on any of those clues. 

I would also think that Eva would have been hyperreactive when it came to her body being touched in any way.  Wouldn't Monica have had to take Eva to the doctor's office for colds, sore throats, vaccinations and such?  Wouldn't the pediatrician have noticed something askew?  Or could it be that Eva was completely relaxed when in her mother's care, but completely freaked out when placed in situations with her step-brother and the family.

I also have to ask; what about the household staff?  Did none of them have a heart and try to help this girl?  Did none of them hear Eva screaming or crying while Nathan was torturing and raping her?  What about afterwards?  Did they not see Eva crying or shaking?  What was going on there?  How did a bunch of adults justify that kind of situation in their minds?  Was Eva's pain and suffering worth the paycheque they received every week? 

Hi Peachies,

How much contact do you think Victor had with Eva in the early years? Do you think that he had visitation rights or was it more of a telephone and correspondence type relationship? What does everyone think?

Hi GiGi,

I think it was more correspondence, telephone relationship in her early years.

In RIY Eva says she has never seen her parents near each other and she has never seen Any photos of them together. I think if Eva had visits with him they would have eventually been close enough for Eva to see them together.

Hi Everyone,

It is very unclear to me what kind of contact Eva had with her father in the early years.  I am left wondering if Eva saw her dad from the time that she was born of if he found out about Eva's existence later on in Eva's childhood.  I know that Monica, married and remarried and I have to wonder how that affected Eva's relationship with Victor.

Did Eva spend her summers with her father or holidays or what?  Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? 

Hi GiGi,

I think it was more correspondence, telephone relationship in her early years.

In RIY Eva says she has never seen her parents near each other and she has never seen Any photos of them together. I think if Eva had visits with him they would have eventually been close enough for Eva to see them together.

Hi Peachies,

I was wondering about that.  I always thought that if Eva did have visits with her father, that Monica had one of her staff deliever or drop Eva off with her dad or pick her up from her visits.  Somehow I never saw Monica as a PTA kind of mother and as such I don't think that she would have been actively involved in seeing Victor on a weekly basis if Eva saw her father.  Somehow I almost think that would have been beneath Monica.  Or maybe it was too painful for her or Victor because they had feelings for one another.  Or maybe the "husband of the day" didn't want Monica to have contact with Eva's father...who knows. 

All I know for sure is that as a mother, Monica stunk during Eva's early years and she stinks now because she failed to tell her daughter about what was going on with Nathan and her having seen him outside of the Crossfire Building and of Nathan's attempts to blackmail her and Stanton.

Hi KiMa,

What makes you believe that Eva knew that Nathan was following her?  Is it something she knew all along or something that she discovered near the end?  You are correct in the significance of Gideon's feelings for Eva and her fear of that. 

At various points she will always state how "she has a bad feeling" something is going to happen and not just something, but something bad. I will try to pinpoint some specifics re: going to listen to the audios.

And then she starts having like physically outburst from her nightmares to throwing

Up.

You know the "the hair at the back of my neck type" feeling.

I will play back audiobooks etc and come back with specific pages well scenes.

At various points she will always state how "she has a bad feeling" something is going to happen and not just something, but something bad. I will try to pinpoint some specifics re: going to listen to the audios.

And then she starts having like physically outburst from her nightmares to throwing

Up.

You know the "the hair at the back of my neck type" feeling.

I will play back audiobooks etc and come back with specific pages well scenes.

Good point!

Given the serious nature of the crimes Nathan would be charged with, I don't think that he would be granted bail.  I am also sure that no one would step up to post Nathan's bail either.  So I know that Eva's safety would be assured.  I also know that Nathan would most likely be convicted (especially if he had video taped and photographed himself brutally raping and torturing Eva as a child).  Then he would be facing federal criminal charges as well.  At the end of the day, I don't think that Nathan would be a free man much longer and he probably would be killed in prison when the prisoners find out about what he did.  I think that would have been justice served. 

Popping in to remind y'all that Nathan has already been tried and convicted for his crimes against Eva as a child.

"Nathan was lawfully punished. His father paid a large sum for damages. Justice was served." Eva, Bared to You

Nathan was a minor when he was convicted. Eva was fourteen when she had the miscarriage that revealed the abuse; Nathan was sixteen. Because of his age, he was sent to a mental health facility for incarceration.

Nathan killed Eva's cat, snapping its neck and leaving the carcass on her bed (Bared to You). Gideon knew this, knew Nathan had already served his time, and he knew Nathan was responsible for the brutal attack on Cary.

"Jesus Christ. He wasn't just fucked up, he was insane. And he was touching you... Eva." - Gideon, Bared to You

Then Gideon actually had to see the pictures of what was done to her.

The only crime for which Nathan could have been prosecuted is Grand Larceny. Because the amount he was attempting to extort was 2.5 MIL from both Gideon and Stanton, it would have been Grand Larceny in the Second Degree (because it was an attempt to extort), which carries NO minimum prison sentence but could go as high as 5-15 years. Because Nathan was a juvenile when he was convicted for his crimes against Eva (and to protect Eva) his previous conviction was expunged (sealed). It could be counted as a strike against him, but it could also not be.

Just tossing that out there for the discussion...

Love that Sylvia Day has popped into this fantastic discussion to add a little bit of information to consider.

Interesting thought regarding the fact that Nathan had already been convicted of his crimes before this extortion. He couldn't be convicted of the same crime twice.

He could possibly have been charged with child if he had pictures. I don't think that would have kept him in jail for a very long time either. This would not have kept Eva safe.

I also have to ask; what about the household staff?  Did none of them have a heart and try to help this girl?  Did none of them hear Eva screaming or crying while Nathan was torturing and raping her?  What about afterwards?  Did they not see Eva crying or shaking?  What was going on there?  How did a bunch of adults justify that kind of situation in their minds?  Was Eva's pain and suffering worth the paycheque they received every week? 

"The servants had to know. The fact that they didn't say anything either told me they were scared, too. They were grown-ups and they didn't say a word. I was a child. What could I do if they wouldn't do anything?" - Eva, Bared to You

It's interesting now that we know Gideon killed Nathan how will Sylvia deal with it .

How will our hero is get away with murder?

Will it be a crime of passion protection and have the cops really dropped the case.

Will victor step up and help Gideon for Eva's benefit seeing that they're both ment to be together

Morning ladies

Going to have to give up sleep if the discussions, get meaty!

Sylvia. It's great you have the time to join in.

So Sylvia is saying murder was the only option open to our hero. He couldnt risk Nathan being free to eventually kill Eva. It was kill or be killed.

Graves stated to Eva when in the gym, that they had enough evidence to prove that Nathan beat Cary to a pulp (attempted murder)? Stalking as well, possession of child p***. Surely this lowlife would have been put away for a long time?

But while Nathan was still alive, Eva couldn't quite relax and enjoy life. I think that Gideon knew that their relationship would struggle, while Nathan was still breathing.

I'm hoping Victor does get involved in the next book. How can he not after the police visit.

One thing regarding the staff in the Barker household. Why were they afraid of Nathan? What hold did he have over them?

There must have been physical evidence on Eva and her bedding. Think they all needed a guide dog, or glasses at the very least, to see what trauma Eva was going through.

It's interesting to compare Eva's and Gideons behaviour, as they both suffered sexual abuse at the same time in their lives, but both dealt with it differently. Gideon being disruptive, and Eva, withdrawn, until her rebellion in her late teens.

One thing regarding the staff in the Barker household. Why were they afraid of Nathan? What hold did he have over them?

There must have been physical evidence on Eva and her bedding. Think they all needed a guide dog, or glasses at the very least, to see what trauma Eva was going through.

It's interesting to compare Eva's and Gideons behaviour, as they both suffered sexual abuse at the same time in their lives, but both dealt with it differently. Gideon being disruptive, and Eva, withdrawn, until her rebellion in her late teens.

I don't think the baker household staff were blind I think they were afraid of Nathan .

Nathan certainly has mental health issues along with his sexual abusing issues .

I wonder if Eva had been the first step sister he'd raped had there been others and had staff told before and nothing had been done maybe staff had been sacked and the remaining staff didn't want to lose their job.

Not the right attitude but an option to why they didn't speak out .

Popping in to remind y'all that Nathan has already been tried and convicted for his crimes against Eva as a child.

Nathan was a minor when he was convicted. Eva was fourteen when she had the miscarriage that revealed the abuse; Nathan was sixteen. Because of his age, he was sent to a mental health facility for incarceration.

Nathan killed Eva's cat, snapping its neck and leaving the carcass on her bed (Bared to You). Gideon knew this, knew Nathan had already served his time, and he knew Nathan was responsible for the brutal attack on Cary.

The only crime for which Nathan could have been prosecuted is Grand Larceny. Because the amount he was attempting to extort was 2.5 MIL from both Gideon and Stanton, it would have been Grand Larceny in the Second Degree (because it was an attempt to extort), which carries NO minimum prison sentence but could go as high as 5-15 years. Because Nathan was a juvenile when he was convicted for his crimes against Eva (and to protect Eva) his previous conviction was expunged (sealed). It could be counted as a strike against him, but it could also not be.

Hi Sylvia and everyone,

I just wanted to clarify that when I was referring to Nathan being in jail, I wasn’t referring to Nathan’s past crimes.  We have all been wildly speculating about what Nathan was using (i.e. the video tapes and photos) in his attempt to extort monies from Gideon, Stanton and maybe Monica. I was hoping that Gideon and the crew "a.k.a." Monica and Stanton could have formulated some type of plan to get Nathan to commit a crime that he could be charged with.  I was basing my theory that if Nathan actually did commit said crime then Gideon et. al. could have gone to the police with their claims and evidence and as such Nathan would have been arrested.  Then if Nathan was arrested, I was sure that he probably wouldn't have been eligible for bail or that no one would step up to help him post bail, which would have left Nathan in jail and Eva safe.  I also based my theory on the assumption that Nathan probably would not have had any money and therefore wouldn't have been able to post bail.  If Nathan had money, then why would he need to kick up a hornets nest and try to extort money from Gideon, Stanton and maybe Monica.

Thus far, some of us thought that Nathan might have videotaped or taken photos of Eva while he was raping her.  I know that this is wild speculation but nothing else seems to rise to the level of someone considering paying off a blackmailer.  If that was the case, then Nathan could possibly be charged with possessing and attempting to distribute child .

I was wondering if you would be so kind as to answer just one question please:  Did Nathan videotape and photograph his crimes against Eva. 

If I am to read and understand you’re posting correctly, then Nathan did videotape and photograph his crimes with Eva.  If that is the case then how on earth would Nathan not be eligible for child charges?  That doesn’t seem to make sense.  If Gideon and Stanton and perhaps Monica had copies of these crimes then couldn’t they go to the police and have charges laid against Nathan? 

Holy cow!!! I am glad that my instincts weren’t wrong about this.  I am also incredibly sad and sickened by the level of Nathan’s depravity.   Thank you for your time.

"The servants had to know. The fact that they didn't say anything either told me they were scared, too. They were grown-ups and they didn't say a word. I was a child. What could I do if they wouldn't do anything?" - Eva, Bared to You

Hi Sylvia,

That's my point exactly. Why did the servants do nothing?  What on earth was Nathan holding over them to keep their silence?  Why did no one step in to help Eva?  What kind of monster was Nathan?  Wasn't there anyone in the entire household staff that was willing to stand up to a sixteen year old kid?  That boggles my mind!!

I don't think the baker household staff were blind I think they were afraid of Nathan .

Nathan certainly has mental health issues along with his sexual abusing issues .

I wonder if Eva had been the first step sister he'd raped had there been others and had staff told before and nothing had been done maybe staff had been sacked and the remaining staff didn't want to lose their job.

Not the right attitude but an option to why they didn't speak out .

Hi ShazScott1980,

I guess I find it very difficult to believe that Nathan had that much power over the household staff.  If any of them had been raped or beaten by Nathan, then why on green earth would they stick around for another go around with this kid?  Domestic staffing jobs tend to be pretty easy to find and as adults I would think that they would have chosen self preservation over having to deal with a child like that.

What kind of physical build did this kid have?  Was he some type of huge imposing figure or was he skinny, thin or what?  I just can't seem to wrap my mind around the fact that no one ever tried to discipline this kid.  I do suppose my European roots are showing. If any one of us ever disrespected our elders, we got the wooden spoon, a strap, a belt, a boot to the butt.  No I am not condoning violence toward children at all, but it seems like Nathan got away with murder.  No one ever seemed to take any action against his behaviours.

If I was an employee working in that household and Nathan tried to rape me, like it or not I would have punched him in the face, kicked him in the b***s, done what I needed to to get myself out of that situation alive.  What do you think? 

I know that Nathan wanted money, but there is also the comment he made to Cary, after he beat him to a pulp. " Cary was told to keep his hands off her" "don't stick my in he wrong chick". Nathan was also obsessed with Eva. The press had reported they were living together, but Nathan didn't know the nature of their relationship. He was not going to give up Eva. That's why Gideon did what he did. Sigh. He felt his hands were tied.

Hi Julie54,

You are correct.  There would have been blood on Eva's underware, pants, bedding and nightclothes.  She also would have had trouble walking.  I am surprised that her mother never noticed any of the physical signs that I am sure that Eva must have been exhibiting.

In my mind Nathan was above average size kid. His power over Eva to do what he was doing, was immense for her not to respond and seek help. She must have virtually shut down for it to carry on for 4 years. The horror that Eva and Gideon went through as children is indescribable. Unfortunately it goes on in real life daily.

I'm thinking that the household staff were immigrants and they were probably scared that if they said anything their families would be harmed and/or that they would be sent back to their former country?

THANK-YOU for stopping in, Sylvia Day, you know we all love you!

:::: Waving HI to Sylvia!!!! ::::

I had a feeling you were reading this thread after the ultimate Reflected in You spoiler question you answered the other day. Very nice job on the interview, BTW. I could hear the smile in your voice.

Question regarding the pictures Nathan took of Eva and later showed Gideon, if they're sexually explicit images of a young Eva, wouldn't that count as present day possession of child p***?

The statute of limitations would have run out on production of child p*** (and Nathan had still been a minor himself when he took the pictures) -- but -- present day possession of those pictures could be considered a crime. It depends, of course, on the exact nature of what the pictures depict, but I'm wondering if this could have been thrown onto the pile of Nathan's present crimes too, along with the extortion attempts? (And of course, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon for Cary's beating, plus stalking Eva.)