So would it make a difference if Gideon had killed Nathan himself rather then help plan it.?

My guess is Gideon found out Monday morning that Cary's assailant was Nathan. I don't think Gideon made the decision then and there that the only option to protect Eva was to kill Nathan. But Gideon did immediately that day start planning ways to increase already existing protection. Gideon, knowing that his being with Eva was a serious trigger to Nathan, sought to defuse the situation by   allowing himself to be photographed on a "date" with Corrine -- Gideon did this to buy a little breathing room as he had his security people scramble for new intelligence.

I think the things he learned during that security team meeting in his apartment Tuesday night became the tipping point where he rejected all other options but the one he took. Had he been able to get away with it, he might have immediately gone after Nathan that night. It still would have been premediation -- but it would not have been an elaborate plan.

But instead, he took two days to set things up -- protecting Eva from legal blowback as much as himself. Gideon made sure that if he did give his life for Eva in the figurative sense -- that he went to prison for murder -- she would be forever safe from prosecution. Thus I am willing to cut him some -- some -- slack for the elaborate planning.

He did more than just arrange an alibi and cover story for himself. He made sure Eva also had an alibi. And the way he hurt her was for her own protection too -- he made sure that if the police later pushed very hard in the investigation (which they did) all of Eva's actions in the days immediately prior to the killing would reinforce the fact she did NOT even know Nathan was in New York, much less know that Gideon plotted to kill him.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God your good woman.

Surely from his security teams point of view, they must know he killed Nathan. I'm hoping we get to hear all the details in the next book, rather than leave it to our imaginations. Too many people seem to be in on Nathan's death. Gideon, Angus, security team, Monica and Stanton.

Eva would have hated having a security team protecting her 24/7. Look at her reaction to her bodyguard in Las Vegas.

That's why I said about them marrying-going to happen anyway-although not very romantic,so she couldn't testify against her husband, though we did say this was a grey area.

God your good woman.

Surely from his security teams point of view, they must know he killed Nathan. I'm hoping we get to hear all the details in the next book, rather than leave it to our imaginations. Too many people seem to be in on Nathan's death. Gideon, Angus, security team, Monica and Stanton.

Eva would have hated having a security team protecting her 24/7. Look at her reaction to her bodyguard in Las Vegas.

That's why I said about them marrying-going to happen anyway-although not very romantic,so she couldn't testify against her husband, though we did say this was a grey area.

His security team probably suspects he did it, but none of them would ever admit it -- to do so would leave them open to criminal prosecution as well, because they had at the very least some inkling Gideon was planning to take matters into his own hands some way.

Besides, there are other people with motive for wanting Nathan dead too. Like Monica and Stanton -- who had the resources to hire a hitman. His security team can't be certain it was Gideon.

I'm convinced Angus does know because I think Angus was an accomplice. My theory is Angus assisted in sneaking Gideon away from the party to Nathan's hotel and then back to the party. Stood as lookout while Gideon did the deed. And helped dispose of evidence, especially the weapon.

LN Cronan

I agree about Angus. He is more than an employee to Gideon. I would love to be a fly in the car,when its just those 2, just to hear their conversations. Angus is the father figure Gideon never had, a good role model, and confidante and advisor.

I think Angus would have driven Gideon to Nathan's hotel. And as you say act as lookout.

I wonder what Victor will make of this-we know he is appearing in EWY. He has to help Gideon out for Eva's sake. Me thinks Victor might explode if he finds out what happened to his little girl. What dad wouldn't. I think if Gideon hadn't done it, Victor would have.

Yes I see where your coming from Mrs. Cross. But put yourself in his shoes. After Nathan beat Cary to a pulp, and although we haven't been told specifically that Gideon had Nathan followed, but we are almost sure he was. If you thought that the only person in the world, that was your safe haven, and your reason for living was going to die at the hands of a monster, who had previously terrorised tortured and abused them, wouldn't you do something to prevent that occurring.

My heart goes out to the poor man, to be put in that position. It was a pity Nathan wasn't hit by a bus, because we wouldn't be discussing this story if he had

To me-- what Gideon says and how he acts/reacts in RIY ----he murdered Nathan...

Also, SD --to me ---clearly indicated in her recent posts here that Gideon murdered Nathan...

I don't think people would buy EWY just to see if Gideon murdered Nathan....All they would have to do would be to wait a couple of days and come to this site/another SD site to find the answer.

People will buy EWY because of Eva and Gideon's love story---IMHO

To me-- what Gideon says and how he acts/reacts in RIY ----he murdered Nathan...

Also, SD --to me ---clearly indicated in her recent posts here that Gideon murdered Nathan...

I don't think people would buy EWY just to see if Gideon murdered Nathan....All they would have to do would be to wait a couple of days and come to this site/another SD site to find the answer.

People will buy EWY because of Eva and Gideon's love story---IMHO

Hi AMC,

I think that the storyline of whether Gideon killed Nathan or not may be a huge hook for some people.  All the s** scenes aside, Sylvia has written a really good storyline and I am sure that there are many people who will be completely turned off by the fact that someone they had been rooted for killed Nathan.  That may affect her sales as a result.

I have said it before and I will say it again, killing another human being is not romantic.  If someone were to objectively look at the facts as they have been presented thus far, Gideon wouldn't have been justified in killing Nathan, this would have been premeditated murder.  Trying to get a justifiable homicide ruling would be like trying to climb Mt. Everest on a "pogo" stick.  If anyone has legal expertise, feel free to jump in here. 

I also don't understand why Sylvia would disclose such an important part of the storyline (in such an obscure way) so close to the release date of her next book.  It makes absolutely no sense what so ever.  How is that a thank you to her faithful fans?   As you said that people won't buy the next book to see if Gideon killed Nathan, I too, don't believe that people will soley buy the next book because s**.  

Since when is a murder romantic?! I love Gideon and I'm hoping that Nathan was the aggressor and Gideon killed him in self defense. That's the only way I'll like Gideon again.

Hi Mrs.CrossXxXxX,

I agree.  I don't find anything romantic about this entire situation at all!  I also don't care if Gideon is good in bed or what have you, what I need to know now is why Gideon felt that there were simply no other options and that Nathan had to die.  I also don't care if Gideon would have hired someone else to commit the murder.  Murder is murder and what is so romantic about that? 

Yes, yes, I get that this is a fictional story and that these are fictional characters but what I am finding more interesting is the parallel between the story and the social commentary.  Under what circumstances do people find it acceptable to murder another human being?  Who gets the "get out of jail free pass" after having committed such a crime and who doesn't?  As consumers what do you expect of your characters?  What makes a book worth buying and what line would have to be crossed in order for you the consumer to say "no thank you" I don't wish to participate in buying another book? 

God your good woman.

Hi Julie54,

I think that Eva was more upset by the fact that Gideon never disclosed the fact that she was going to have a security team following her around 24/7.  I think that she was also upset she felt that Gideon couldn't even trust that she could have a harmless conversation with another man without Gideon freaking out and sending his security team in to break up that discussion.  I think that in that instance, Eva had every right to be upset.  That whole dynamic spoke volumes about Gideon's and Eva's relationship.  I don't think that it really had anything to do with "security".  What do you think?

Hi everyone, 

I just wanted to throw out a quick question; if Gideon had been so meticulous about not involving anyone in the planning and commission of Nathan's murder then why on earth would Angus be involved?  Again, the notion of murder may be romantic for some people, but if faced with conspiracy or accessory charges, does anyone really think that Angus would throw himself on his sword?  That would go completely against human nature.  What does everyone think? 

Hi Gigi

Yes I can see where your coming from. But as a mother of 2 girls, I wouldn't hesitate to defend my girls even if it meant ending a life if they had been subjected to what Eva had been. It's instinct to protect what's yours. Unfortunately it's life, whether human or animal. Personally I think Victor might have killed Nathan if Gideon hadn't, had he of known. He is going to feel guilty for not being there or Eva.

Hi Gigi

Yes I can see where your coming from. But as a mother of 2 girls, I wouldn't hesitate to defend my girls even if it meant ending a life if they had been subjected to what Eva had been. It's instinct to protect what's yours. Unfortunately it's life, whether human or animal. Personally I think Victor might have killed Nathan if Gideon hadn't, had he of known. He is going to feel guilty for not being there or Eva.

I totally agree with this I look forward to finding out if and when Victor knows the truth and I would love to see him rip into Monica Stanton. That being said, just imagining the horrifying and depraved content of the videos and pictures that Nathan possessed is enough for me to conclude that Gideon was in an impossible position. I would never want someone I loved to be subjected to living through what would be such a degrading experience as having those pictures viewed by outside parties in a trial not to mention that Nathan was criminally insane and a certain threat to Eva. We will just have to wait for the book we have no choice...

Hi Gigi

Hi Julie54,

In the scenario that you have laid out, you are the mother and there is some moral obligation for a mother to protect and defend her child (or in your case children).  Part of that protect would include you informing them of the need for safety precautions and the level of danger they may be facing (age appropriate levels of information of course), but what was written in the book was that everyone kept Eva in the dark.  Absolutely everyone! No one saw fit to let a grown woman in on what was going on.

To make matters worse, one man decided to play, judge, jury and executioner all in one fell swoop without even havig tried to help from outside sources!  That just boggles my mind.  I could have completely bought the arguement if Gideon had contacted law enforcement or then such, tried to obtain help and couldn't and then decided to act because he had no other choice, but to automatically assume that there was no other choice just doesn't fly with me.

I could also have bought the arguement that Victor killed Nathan because of his background as being a cop and maybe having tried to get Nathan to back off, but that's not what was written.  Thus far, we the readers have been lead to believe (by written word or lack thereof) that Gideon planned and executed this murder all by himself all in his heroic attempts to save a woman that he "needs more than his next breath".  That isn't romantic (I am not saying that you said that this was romantic or implied it).  Had Gideon tried to get outside help or at least made an attempt then that would have been a completely different story, but that's not the way it has been written and the rest we have to wait until June 4th to find out. 

I totally agree with this I look forward to finding out if and when Victor knows the truth and I would love to see him rip into Monica Stanton. That being said, just imagining the horrifying and depraved content of the videos and pictures that Nathan possessed is enough for me to conclude that Gideon was in an impossible position. I would never want someone I loved to be subjected to living through what would be such a degrading experience as having those pictures viewed by outside parties in a trial not to mention that Nathan was criminally insane and a certain threat to Eva. We will just have to wait for the book we have no choice...

Hi Sscrph,

I could have completely bought the whole Gideon killed Nathan, or Monica or Stanton on the day he went to each of them with the video tapes and photos.  One could have made an extremely compelling arguement that any one of these individuals snapped when they saw the level of violence that was inflicted upon Eva.  If Nathan happened to throw in a death threat or two, the cops would have been taking statements and this entire scenario most likely would have been ruled a justifiable homicide.  The cops would have had evidence of Nathan's past brutal crimes, the outcry of "upstanding members of the community" vouching for either Gideon, Monica and/or Stanton and it most likely would have been a scenario of case-closed.

Instead one of them or all of them plotted Nathan's murder (we won't know until June 4th for answers as to who knew what).  Was there concern and their only concern that of Eva, or did they worry "just a bit" about how their "good names" would be affected by such a scandal. That's not the way it happened, so now we wait until June 4th to see if we will finally get some answers. 

Nathan's attack on Cary was a death threat

Hi AMC,

Nathan's attack on Cary was a death threat on Cary.   The law would only look at it like that.  I don't think that Nathan would have made any threats against Gideon.  I don't know that he would have been that stupid.  He'd already gotten a taste of Gideon's fury and I don't think that he would have gone back for another round. 

Nathan was an obsessive sick man---I believe he didn't think rationally and is that stupid and would have gone back to Gideon for another round.

Hi AMC,

I think that if Nathan was going to back for a second round he would have done it well before he was murdered and well before he attacked Cary.  That scenario doesn't fit for me.  How can it be both ways; Nathan was sick and disoriented who was obsessed, but was smart and a clear thinker enough to plot an entire extortion ruse?  It doesn't fit. 

Why wait to go for another round with Gideon, if he was that nut's what was holding him back?  He wouldn't have been rational and therefore wouldn't have had activated self-preservation skills. 

Hi Gigi

I totally agree with you. If I perceved my boys or my husband was in mortal danger I too would do anything to keep them safe, both Physicaly, emotionally.

Nathan was an obsessive sick man---I believe he didn't think rationally and is that stupid and would have gone back to Gideon for another round.

That statement is contradictory. One minute one thing is posted and then in the next it is flipped.  Which is it?