One Chapter A Day - Re-Read Of Bared and Entwined

LN Cronan

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Norway's release date is June 15th and published by Bastion. But from what I understand from a friend who lives in Sweden the publishing company had a contest and the prizes were advance copies of EWY. Not sure how true that is I don't want to start any rumors. If its true I would love for Penquin to do a contest for us.

Well then who ever has it is extra lucky since their release date is a week after ours and she got a copy now!.... *goes to a corner to cry*

He is so hot and definitely my picture of Gideon!!!!

Cavill quoted in an interview with the director of Man of Steel in the New York Times. "Having finally made “Man of Steel†almost a decade later, Mr. Cavill said he had learned to appreciate a hero who has spent his whole life hearing that he is special, while being told just as often that he must conceal the things that make him unique.

“Perfection without effort is, in itself, not perfection,†he said. “It’s just gifted. Just being right because you exist isn’t interesting. Doing the right thing, through hard work and the right decisions, is a better character.â€

Cavill sounds like the right person to understand and address Mr. C's issues. Not too bad looking either. :)

Cavill quoted in an interview with the director of Man of Steel in the New York Times. "Having finally made “Man of Steel†almost a decade later, Mr. Cavill said he had learned to appreciate a hero who has spent his whole life hearing that he is special, while being told just as often that he must conceal the things that make him unique.

“Perfection without effort is, in itself, not perfection,†he said. “It’s just gifted. Just being right because you exist isn’t interesting. Doing the right thing, through hard work and the right decisions, is a better character.â€

Cavill sounds like the right person to understand and address Mr. C's issues. Not too bad looking either. :)

Very nice. Sounds more perfect for the role every day!

Loving Henry a bit more after that. Thanks for sharing Nrock.

Wow he's really intriguing. He keeps surprising me but in a good way! 

Great pics ladies! I just got the new Entertainment Weekly in th mail today....Our GC, Henry Cavill is gracing the cover as SUperman!  :)

He's def perfect, and Amber Heard too...I think she'll be sassy. Alex Pettyfer is good for Cary. AndI like Dave Franco for CVJ.

I saw two tweets from people in Norway that they have EWY already :( Boo...not fair (Btw, i'm not on Twitter, I just stalk SD every once in while...lol)

Ooppppss...Not on the cover...lol..that was an old one. He is inside tho...lol

Something I wanted to bring up regarding the day that Gideon first saw Eva... I know Andie had mentioned in an earlier post that the way Eva tilted her head back and looked up at The Crossfire brought back a memory Gideon may have had about his dad....I disagree. I think at that moment with the sun reflecting off her blonde hair and Eva looking up at the Crossfire with a gleam in her eye actually made Gideon picture an ANGEL... I mean of course Eva was beautiful and shapely in her yoga pants but I believe Gideon saw her with a glow about her just like he did when she came out of the shower in Chapter 1 of EWY...I bring this up because I have often wondered why he went in the building after her... He most assuredly came across many a beautiful blonde in his lifetime. I really do think he had been wishing or praying for someone to come into his life and "love" him so to speak. When he told Eva that he must have wished for her so hard and so often she had no choice but to come true I believe him. Right there in front of his building in that moment his ANGEL appeared and he went in after her to see if she was really indeed meant for him. It was in that moment that the brunettes were banished forever and it really was love at first sight...What do you all think?

I'm on the verge of tears here, sscrph. It's crossfiremazing [that's crossfire+amazing. well, I like playing with words. that resulted in GidEva. please inform me if you want me to stop *wink*] Thank you for sharing this *hugs*

Yea you could but I was so used to saying ci vediamo domani every time I left class that it was just an automatic response! :)

Hi Insideofclouds, 

It is funny, when I was living in Italy, I always said c'e veidamo.  I think that what you and the others often said was the plural form whereas I used the singular form.

"A domani" was/is often used when someone sees someone else on a regular or daily basis.  Or I have also heard the term " A doppo"  which means until later (far more casual expression).

Hi Everyone,

I have been reading the postings about what happened in the limo and I don’t think that this scene had anything to do with BDSM at all.  I think that Gideon was using s** as a punishment, pure and simple.  He used each and every single one of Eva’s insecurities against her in the hopes that he would be able to extract the information that he wanted out of her. 

In total and utter desperation, Eva complied with Gideon’s demands; because she was afraid of losing Gideon because of what she did.  Not one single solitary thing that transpired during that entire scene would comply with BDSM rules or the BDSM scene.  When people engage in the BDSM lifestyle; it is about two consenting adults deriving mutual pleasure from one another within established parameters.  When lovers fight they are not to engage in these acts because that violates the spirit of the BDSM lifestyle.

Gideon crossed each and every single line with Eva!! He violated the spirit of their contract (in that Eva’s body was his to pleasure and such, but not to degrade when he was that upset with her).  One is NOT to engage in a BDSM scene when a serious fight has just occurred.  Each party needs to work out the issue before they progress.

There were a million healthy ways that both Gideon and Eva could have addressed the issue, but neither of them stopped to think.  Gideon played the silent routine and Eva played the use my body so I can get info from you.  I found nothing romantic about that scene what-so-ever.  The outcome wasn’t healthy either. 

Hi Everyone,

In order to have a safe and healthy BDSM relationship each person must always remain open and honest.  They must also always be willing to communicate using both the above mentioned principles.  Anything less than that; violates the spirit of healthy BDSM play and maintaining healthy relationships.   

Hi Everyone,

I have been reading the postings about what happened in the limo and I don’t think that this scene had anything to do with BDSM at all. I think that Gideon was using s** as a punishment, pure and simple. He used each and every single one of Eva’s insecurities against her in the hopes that he would be able to extract the information that he wanted out of her.

In total and utter desperation, Eva complied with Gideon’s demands; because she was afraid of losing Gideon because of what she did. Not one single solitary thing that transpired during that entire scene would comply with BDSM rules or the BDSM scene. When people engage in the BDSM lifestyle; it is about two consenting adults deriving mutual pleasure from one another within established parameters. When lovers fight they are not to engage in these acts because that violates the spirit of the BDSM lifestyle.

Gideon crossed each and every single line with Eva!! He violated the spirit of their contract (in that Eva’s body was his to pleasure and such, but not to degrade when he was that upset with her). One is NOT to engage in a BDSM scene when a serious fight has just occurred. Each party needs to work out the issue before they progress.

There were a million healthy ways that both Gideon and Eva could have addressed the issue, but neither of them stopped to think. Gideon played the silent routine and Eva played the use my body so I can get info from you. I found nothing romantic about that scene what-so-ever. The outcome wasn’t healthy either.

Morning Gigi

It has been mentioned about Gideon being involved in BDSM, I'm not so sure myself. I think he may have dabbled, out of curiosity, to perhaps gain control back in his life, regarding s+x.

When they were having their chat in his home office, after the garden party, Eva said he was crazy if he thought he could order her around s*xually. His reply was"come on Eva. You know I don't want to beat you, punish you, demean you, or order you around like a pet. Those aren't needs either of us has." I just think he dipped his toe in the water, in his younger days. He needed control of his life back, in all ways, s*x included.

As for the limo ride, you hit the nail on the head, when you said about there being healthy ways to discuss the issue. Whenever they reach a crisis, they never step back and look at the situation. They just jump in all guns blazing! No pun intended, Gideon! Unfortunately those demon twins rear their ugly heads all the time.

I'm on the verge of tears here, sscrph. It's crossfiremazing [that's crossfire+amazing. well, I like playing with words. that resulted in GidEva. please inform me if you want me to stop *wink*] Thank you for sharing this *hugs*

Oh well it was just a sappy take on the GidEva "combustion" so to speak!!! LOL :) :)

Hi Everyone,

I have been reading the postings about what happened in the limo and I don’t think that this scene had anything to do with BDSM at all.  I think that Gideon was using s** as a punishment, pure and simple.  He used each and every single one of Eva’s insecurities against her in the hopes that he would be able to extract the information that he wanted out of her. 

In total and utter desperation, Eva complied with Gideon’s demands; because she was afraid of losing Gideon because of what she did.  Not one single solitary thing that transpired during that entire scene would comply with BDSM rules or the BDSM scene.  When people engage in the BDSM lifestyle; it is about two consenting adults deriving mutual pleasure from one another within established parameters.  When lovers fight they are not to engage in these acts because that violates the spirit of the BDSM lifestyle.

Gideon crossed each and every single line with Eva!! He violated the spirit of their contract (in that Eva’s body was his to pleasure and such, but not to degrade when he was that upset with her).  One is NOT to engage in a BDSM scene when a serious fight has just occurred.  Each party needs to work out the issue before they progress.

There were a million healthy ways that both Gideon and Eva could have addressed the issue, but neither of them stopped to think.  Gideon played the silent routine and Eva played the use my body so I can get info from you.  I found nothing romantic about that scene what-so-ever.  The outcome wasn’t healthy either.

Totally agree Gigi

A Chapter A Day Re-Read Project - Today is Chapter 11 of Reflected in You

This chapter starts Saturday morning (day 26) and continues through the weekend (day 27)

Key plot developments

• The calm before the storm chapter, this covers the weekend Eva and Gideon spent together in a rented home on the shore of the North Carolina Outer Banks.
  • Gideon opens up a little about his past, specifically about his mother, and we learn the reason why Gideon is estranged from her.

After each of us has re-read Chapter 11, Sylvia would like to know a favorite quote or paragraph.

Chapter 10 of Reflected in You - The Readers Guide

This chapter starts Friday night (day 25) and goes through Saturday morning (day 26)

Key plot developments

• Gideon had two big fights in this chapter - one literal and one figurative
  • The literal fight was a serious brawl with Brett, whom Gideon attacked after catching Eva and Brett passionately kissing. Physically a match for one another, both men fought hard, and the coming days would reveal both sported serious bruises as a result.
  • The figurative fight was with Eva afterward, when he used sex to punish her for having given in to desire for Brett. 

New characters

Darrin, Six-Ninths drummer (minor)

Unnamed additional members of Six-Ninths (minor)

Fight #1 - Gideon versus Brett

Gideon, who studied mixed martial arts with a trainer, was a formidable fighter, but Brett, also in top physical shape, had barroom brawler fight skills, so the men were a match for one another.

As the two men went at it in the private parking area near the band's buses, a crowd began to form, including Brett's bandmates, who pour out of the backstage area. The sight of Brett fighting with the man who financially controls their record label held them back from jumping into the brawl, though. 

Nor did Gideon's bodyguard, Angus, stop the fight, despite tearful pleas from Eva begging him to intervene.

"He knows when to stop, Eva." Angus told her (page 165)

At the time, Angus had been trying to make her get into the limo and she had been refusing to go. At Angus' request, Arnoldo threw her over his shoulder, and as she screamed in frustration, he loaded her into the car. Arnoldo climbed in right behind her, as did Shawna.

The last the witnesses to the still-in-progress fight saw of Eva was her being forcibly put into the limo and then the car being driven away.

Fight #2 - Arnoldo versus Eva

The lyrics of the song Golden included her first name, Eva, and so in the back of the limo, Shawna figured out Eva was the girl in the song, and Shawna said so.

Arnoldo then made the connection -- and guessed that Gideon knew it too.

Eva defended herself that her relationship with Brett had been a long time ago, but Arnoldo shot back with "Not long enough, apparently." (page 165)

Angus' first stop was to take Shawna home. The second stop was to return Arnoldo to where they'd picked him up when the night started, his restaurant.

Arnoldo, angry at Eva for having hurt Gideon, scolded her, "Be gentle with him .... I have never seen him the way he is with you. I can't say you are worthy of him, but you can make him happy. I saw that myself. Do it or walk. Don't f*** with his head." (page 167)

Now alone with Angus, Eva pleaded to know where Gideon was -- that she needed to talk to Gideon. Angus replied that Gideon had called and he (Angus) was going to take her back. They returned to the amphitheater, and Gideon climbed into the back of the car.

Fight #3 Gideon versus Eva

It was a coldly furious Gideon that Eva faced, one who rebuffed her tearful attempt to apologize. He demanded to know what Brett is to her -- and does she want Brett. Eva responded Brett was a mistake, past and present, and told Gideon, "I only want you. I love you, Gideon. So much it hurts." (page 168)

Still sick with jealousy, Gideon speculated the reason Eva had climaxed during the concert wasn't because Gideon had his fingers inside of her - it was because Brett sang a love song to her. And the part of the lyrics about Eva having been down on her knees made Gideon envision her going down on Brett.

Trying to bridge the gulf sexually, Eva began to perform oral sex on Gideon. Then Gideon began to order her around sexually, and as the f****** went on and on, Gideon kept demanding an answer "Why did you kiss him?" Every time, Eva answered she didn't know, the sex continued, with Gideon ordering her to keep pleasuring him but denying her pleasure in return.

"I watched him as I teased us both, looking for any signs of the passionate lover I adored. He wasn't there. A furious stranger glared back at me, daring me, taunting me with his detachment." (page 172)

Things got so bad that Eva pleaded with Gideon to stop treating her like a w**** - his answer to that was to remind her she could use her safeword to end the sexual encounter.  But Eva, sensing Gideon was testing her, decided to keep going, to let him continue to use her.

Soon Gideon changed tactics, using o***** denial to control her, bringing her to the brink but preventing her from being able to come. All the time, he kept demanding to know why she'd kissed Brett, and also continuing to hurl jealous accusations that Eva was fantasizing about Brett.

Finally, her own fury brought to the surface her subconscious reason for why she had done what she had, kissed Brett knowing in the back of her mind that Gideon would soon come looking for her. "Because you deserved it! Because you should know what it feels like! How bad it hurts, you self-centered a******!" (page 176)

Eva's deep-seated insecurities had driven her to punish Gideon for how much Corrine had hurt her, hurt the relationship between Eva and Gideon. When the realization washed over both of them, Gideon's angry spell was broken, and the revenge f***** punishment turned to lovemaking.

North Carolina

Eva awoke the next morning in the back of the limo to learn they'd ridden ten hours through the night to arrive at where Gideon had planned (making those plans earlier that week) to take her for the weekend.

It was a rental house on the ocean, the white bedroom filled with white flowers almost as if the room was a bridal suite.

"For the next two days, we're going to be hermits together," he promised (page 179).

The next two days would be the happiest of their new relationship - and without knowing it, would be the last peace they would enjoy together between then and the coming weeks.

Chapter 10 of Reflected in You - The Readers Guide

This chapter starts Friday night (day 25) and goes through Saturday morning (day 26)

Key plot developments

• Gideon had two big fights in this chapter - one literal and one figurative
  • The literal fight was a serious brawl with Brett, whom Gideon attacked after catching Eva and Brett passionately kissing. Physically a match for one another, both men fought hard, and the coming days would reveal both sported serious bruises as a result.
  • The figurative fight was with Eva afterward, when he used sex to punish her for having given in to desire for Brett. 

New characters

Darrin, Six-Ninths drummer (minor)

Unnamed additional members of Six-Ninths (minor)

Fight #1 - Gideon versus Brett

Gideon, who studied mixed martial arts with a trainer, was a formidable fighter, but Brett, also in top physical shape, had barroom brawler fight skills, so the men were a match for one another.

As the two men went at it in the private parking area near the band's buses, a crowd began to form, including Brett's bandmates, who pour out of the backstage area. The sight of Brett fighting with the man who financially controls their record label held them back from jumping into the brawl, though. 

Nor did Gideon's bodyguard, Angus, stop the fight, despite tearful pleas from Eva begging him to intervene.

"He knows when to stop, Eva." Angus told her (page 165)

At the time, Angus had been trying to make her get into the limo and she had been refusing to go. At Angus' request, Arnoldo threw her over his shoulder, and as she screamed in frustration, he loaded her into the car. Arnoldo climbed in right behind her, as did Shawna.

The last the witnesses to the still-in-progress fight saw of Eva was her being forcibly put into the limo and then the car being driven away.

Fight #2 - Arnoldo versus Eva

The lyrics of the song Golden included her first name, Eva, and so in the back of the limo, Shawna figured out Eva was the girl in the song, and Shawna said so.

Arnoldo then made the connection -- and guessed that Gideon knew it too.

Eva defended herself that her relationship with Brett had been a long time ago, but Arnoldo shot back with "Not long enough, apparently." (page 165)

Angus' first stop was to take Shawna home. The second stop was to return Arnoldo to where they'd picked him up when the night started, his restaurant.

Arnoldo, angry at Eva for having hurt Gideon, scolded her, "Be gentle with him .... I have never seen him the way he is with you. I can't say you are worthy of him, but you can make him happy. I saw that myself. Do it or walk. Don't f*** with his head." (page 167)

Now alone with Angus, Eva pleaded to know where Gideon was -- that she needed to talk to Gideon. Angus replied that Gideon had called and he (Angus) was going to take her back. They returned to the amphitheater, and Gideon climbed into the back of the car.

Fight #3 Gideon versus Eva

It was a coldly furious Gideon that Eva faced, one who rebuffed her tearful attempt to apologize. He demanded to know what Brett is to her -- and does she want Brett. Eva responded Brett was a mistake, past and present, and told Gideon, "I only want you. I love you, Gideon. So much it hurts." (page 168)

Still sick with jealousy, Gideon speculated the reason Eva had climaxed during the concert wasn't because Gideon had his fingers inside of her - it was because Brett sang a love song to her. And the part of the lyrics about Eva having been down on her knees made Gideon envision her going down on Brett.

Trying to bridge the gulf sexually, Eva began to perform oral sex on Gideon. Then Gideon began to order her around sexually, and as the f****** went on and on, Gideon kept demanding an answer "Why did you kiss him?" Every time, Eva answered she didn't know, the sex continued, with Gideon ordering her to keep pleasuring him but denying her pleasure in return.

"I watched him as I teased us both, looking for any signs of the passionate lover I adored. He wasn't there. A furious stranger glared back at me, daring me, taunting me with his detachment." (page 172)

Things got so bad that Eva pleaded with Gideon to stop treating her like a w**** - his answer to that was to remind her she could use her safeword to end the sexual encounter.  But Eva, sensing Gideon was testing her, decided to keep going, to let him continue to use her.

Soon Gideon changed tactics, using o***** denial to control her, bringing her to the brink but preventing her from being able to come. All the time, he kept demanding to know why she'd kissed Brett, and also continuing to hurl jealous accusations that Eva was fantasizing about Brett.

Finally, her own fury brought to the surface her subconscious reason for why she had done what she had, kissed Brett knowing in the back of her mind that Gideon would soon come looking for her. "Because you deserved it! Because you should know what it feels like! How bad it hurts, you self-centered a******!" (page 176)

Eva's deep-seated insecurities had driven her to punish Gideon for how much Corrine had hurt her, hurt the relationship between Eva and Gideon. When the realization washed over both of them, Gideon's angry spell was broken, and the revenge f***** punishment turned to lovemaking.

North Carolina

Eva awoke the next morning in the back of the limo to learn they'd ridden ten hours through the night to arrive at where Gideon had planned (making those plans earlier that week) to take her for the weekend.

It was a rental house on the ocean, the white bedroom filled with white flowers almost as if the room was a bridal suite.

"For the next two days, we're going to be hermits together," he promised (page 179).

The next two days would be the happiest of their new relationship - and without knowing it, would be the last peace they would enjoy together between then and the coming weeks.

That chapter was so intense!!   Whew!  Chapter 10 RIY is my favorite chapter---so far...

I wonder if Sylvia Day is a fan of the movie "The Wedding Date". The line "I'd rather argue with you, angel, than laugh with anyone else" Is a great line and very similar to one from that movie. I loved it in the movie also.

Favorite quote from the re-read of Chapter 10 yesterday .... well, favorite is not the right word, because this was a very dark chapter, but something Gideon said that I feel is key to understanding how he could so coldly hurt Eva emotionally later yet still delude himself into thinking he'd never really lose her. From page 180:

"If you wanted (Brett), it wouldn't be enough for me to let you go. I want you too much. I want you with me, in my life, in my bed. If I can have that, nothing else matters. I'm not too proud to take what I can get."

Couple that with something in the anguished email Eva sent him the following Wednesday, the fourth night in a row she's gone without him. He's quit seeing her, quit calling her -- and he took Corrine out for all the world to see two nights earlier, while Eva has spent every night at the side of her badly injured best friend. From page 246

"Even knowing you've been with her, I want to crawl on my knees for you and beg for scraps. A touch. A kiss. One tender word. You've made me that weak."

When Gideon got that email, the final 24 hours of Nathan's life was ticking down, and Gideon's plan would involve him taking Corrine out in public again, this time posing for a picture in a way that would make everyone assume he and Corrine could be publicly intimate again.

Had Gideon's plan gone totally according to plan, the cops would use that Corrine picture to eliminate him from having motive to kill Nathan, and the accompanying press release for the party would provide him with an alibi the cops would accept at face value rather than bother to check out. The investigation into Nathan's death would head toward "unsolved" limbo status.

My theory is he thought Eva would be waiting for him, having held a torch the whole time (why not -- Corrine held a torch and had been willing to settle, therefore Eva would be too, because Eva was in love with him.) He could prove to Eva that now she had all of him, forever, not just scraps.

But his plan blew up in his face, because:

• She found out about the Nathan pictures and concluded he (Gideon) would never sexually desire her again.
  • All along, her insecurities had whispered to her the only hold she (Eva) had over Gideon was sexual -- that all along Corrine held a much deeper hold, one he could not break free from.
  • The location he's picked for the party was strategically located near Nathan's hotel and was a place Gideon could move around in unfettered, including being able to sneak in and out of. But it also was the f*** pad hotel, where he had conducted all his prior sexual relationships, including three years with Corrine. Him taking Corrine there that night made Eva believe beyond any doubt he'd gone back to Corrine.
  • Rather than being willing to settle for scraps, a strong part of Eva deep inside kicked in and made her realize she was going to have to be the one to actually formally end the (so she believed) already finished relationship -- she had to do it because Gideon was too much of a coward to be able to cut the cord himself.
  • When Eva did end it, Gideon had been painted into a corner of his own making -- he was high on the suspect list (and would soon become chief suspect) and so he was powerless to deny every awful accusation Eva threw at him, powerless to comfort her, powerless to even communicate with her in any way. When Eva handed him his walking papers, his inability to contact her came across as his having been glad she'd done what he couldn't do.