One Chapter A Day - Re-Read Of Bared and Entwined

LN Cronan

Hi Rogue,

I can answer the first question, about the possible status of the murder case (I used to be a journalist specializing in the court beat.) 

As for everything else, it could go a number of different ways. I've got my pet theories, but we're only days away from the one set of ideas that count - the one's in author Sylvia Day's head.

• Unless and until police make an arrest, a criminal case is considered "unsolved." So it remains an "open" investigation that theoretically, police could continue to investigate sometime in the future, looking for more evidence.
  • For most crimes, a case cannot remain open forever though. After a certain number of years pass (this varies) the so-called "statute of limitations" runs out. Once the time has run out, it's no longer possible to charge someone. So the case is over forever.
  • However, there is no statute of limitations for murder cases. There's no deadline by which the cops either have to make an arrest or close the case -- technically the case can stay open for decades as investigators hope for new evidence.
  • In actual practice, though, unless the police have enough evidence to prove a case beyond reasonable doubt to a jury, the police and prosecution are leery about arresting someone. Because they get only one shot to win a trial -- and if the prosecution loses, the defendant cannot ever be charged again. Defense lawyers can appeal guilty verdicts against their clients, but prosecutors cannot appeal not-guilty verdicts. The U.S. Constitution forbids it.

That said, the only 100% sure way for the case against Gideon to go away would be if a jury found him not guilty because the prosecution could not prove beyond a reasonable doubt he killed Nathan.

The real-world way it likely would go away, though, is that the prosecution lacks enough evidence to win a trial so they'll decide to not even charge him. Plenty of real-world cases actually end this way -- the authorities know who committed the crime but cannot prove it to a jury.

My theory is the prosecution will lose the ability to use it's most important evidence against Gideon -- his motive -- because the police (Detective Graves) gathered it by violating someone's legal rights (Eva's - Graves questioned Eva without her lawyer present despite the fact Eva clearly invoked her right to have a lawyer.) If that evidence becomes "inadmissible" it cannot ever be used. What's more, the illegally obtained evidence can sometimes poison other new evidence, making it inadmissible too. And if the most important evidence is gone forever, what'll be left won't be enough to win a trial. So Gideon will go free.

Thanks for the information.  I learn a lot from your posts. 

This is what I'm hoping.  For one thing I think Graves was very sneaky and I hope she pays for it.  Also I don't want the threat of an arrest to hang over Gideon's head.  I'm sure Sylvia is going to come up with a reasonable way out for him.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Morning Ladies

My we were busy overnight! Took me ages to catch up!

Throwing this out there.

Once Eva and Gideon can officially get back together safely as a couple, do you think Gideon will be more circumspect at exposing Eva to the world? Yes they will have functions to attend.

Knowing that she dislikes being in the limelight (provokes triggers) and the dangers it brings-Nathan found her through Internet exposure, and because of who Gideon is.

I think Gideon, although he wants the world to know Eva is his, and he will do, by putting ring on it, but will he change his outlook on his life, because he almost lost her. Gideon won't want to walk that path again. Ever!

Chapter 14 of Reflected in You - The Readers Guide

This chapter covers Wednesday (day 30 since they met and day three of their estrangement) and continues to sometime before dawn Thursday (day 31).

Key plot developments

Dr. Lucas ran into Eva at the hospital Wednesday morning -- and took the opportunity to poison her mind against Gideon.

Eva sent Gideon an anguished email Wednesday night about how much he was hurting her by seeing Corrine again.

In the middle of the night, Gideon let himself into her room and comforted her by making love to her for hours -- but wouldn't stay until morning.

New characters

None in this chapter

The deteriorating situation with Gideon -- and one final night

Wednesday -- another day, another fight with Gideon, the second day in a row he was furious she was defying his efforts to control her every move. She left the Crossfire for lunch again, and he flipped.

Another evening, another no-show by Gideon -- and another attempt by Eva to reach out. He'd rebuffed her on the phone Monday night because he was in the middle of taking Corrine out to dinner. Tuesday night, he rebuffed her again, because he had someone with him at home -- Corrine, Eva was convinced. So Wednesday night, Eva didn't bother calling - she sent him an anguished email about how much he was hurting her by spending his time with Corrine. Eva told him she was so desperate now that she'd beg for scraps from him -- and she hated herself for that. She had come to hate the fact she loved him.

He showed up at her apartment in the middle of the night to say with his body what he couldn't say with words. But rather than be comforted by the lovemaking, Eva wept that he was tearing her apart, that he wouldn't talk to her -- that she can't live with the situation anymore.

He begged her to trust him .... and in words that would haunt her later that week, said " ... it has to be this way." (Page 250)

What he meant, but couldn't explain, was that the estrangement was to protect them both from legal blowback of what he was going to do in under 24 hours from then - kill Nathan.

In hindsight, Eva believed something else -- it was one last get-it-out-of-his-system f***** her, in the pitch dark, because he couldn't bear the sight of her body anymore, and thus the only thing she thought held them together, sex, was gone, and with it, the relationship was gone forever.

What Dr. Lucas claimed

Wednesday morning was the final morning that Eva awoke in Cary's hospital room (he'd be transferred home later that day.)

Dr. Lucas ran into her in the hospital cafeteria early, and learned the reason she was there was because Gideon "... threw his money around and made arrangements .." for her to be with her injured roommate.

Lucas' viciousness about Gideon got Eva's back up, and she demanded to know what was the reason behind the feud with Gideon -- what preceded Gideon hurting Lucas' wife. It took Lucas by surprise Eva knew about Gideon having deliberately hurt Anne Lucas -- and was even more surprised Eva was still with Gideon.

"He's doing the same to you. You look exhausted and depressed. That's part of the game to him, you know. He's an expert at worshiping a woman as if he needs her to breathe. Then suddenly he can't stand the sight of her .... You've experienced what I'm talking about. He's going to continue to play with you until you rely on his mood to gauge your own. Then he'll get bored and dump you." (page 241)

Unfortunately, Lucas lit up Eva's insecurities, because by then, for days Gideon had subjected Eva to an emotional rollercoaster - the wonderful weekend in North Carolina followed by coldness for days.

Lucas' opinion of Gideon is that he's a narcissistic sociopath and misogynist who uses money to seduce women and then sex to control them -- a master manipulator and a dangerous man capable of just about anything.

Re-Read a Chapter a Day -- Today is Chapter 15 of Reflected in You

This chapter starts Thursday morning (day 31) and continues through Friday evening (day 32 and the fifth day of their estrangement)

Key plot developments

This is one of the pivotal chapters thus far in the Crossfire series.

• Eva finally found out Nathan had been in New York recently -- and had been found dead Friday morning.  
  • The shocking news came Friday evening when a pair of NYPD detectives showed up at her apartment to question her. In progress at the time was the family dinner she'd planned so that her father, in town for the weekend, could meet Gideon.
  • The cops had been looking for Gideon too, and finding him there, started questioning him too -- and so Eva found out that Gideon was somehow connected to Nathan.
  • Thursday, Gideon had deliberately hurt Eva yet again - this time to her face by all-but-ignoring her in a business meeting, then by blowing off their weekly couples therapy appointment. Shortly, Eva would learn where he'd been instead. Later she would learn why.

Favorite quote or paragraph needed from each of us, for Sylvia, after we've re-read the chapter. If "favorite" is the right word, because we're in the very darkest part of the story now.

Favorite paragraph chapter 15:

Ireland:

"You didn't see him watching you dance with your dad. His eyes got all shiny. I thought he was going to cry. And on the way up here, in the elevator, he tried to play it off, but I could tell he was nervous."

*sigh* Would LOVE Gideon's POV from that scene...

Favorite paragraph chapter 15:

Ireland:

"You didn't see him watching you dance with your dad. His eyes got all shiny. I thought he was going to cry. And on the way up here, in the elevator, he tried to play it off, but I could tell he was nervous."

*sigh* Would LOVE Gideon's POV from that scene...

Gideon was probably terrified of facing Eva again -- he had to have been if he was having trouble maintaining his iceman exterior. Ireland barely knows her brother, so for her to be able to perceive he was nervous is pretty remarkable. She may have just written it off though as nervousness about meeting Eva's father.

Sylvia explained that the reason Gideon didn't cancel on Friday's dinner was he feared Eva would never forgive him. Well, Gideon already had been doing things for days that Eva might not be able to forgive anyway.

Timeline:

1. The last time Gideon had been in the same room as Eva had been more than 24 hours before, when he refused to even look her in front of other people at that meeting on Thursday afternoon.
  2. Last time they spoke was on the phone later Thursday afternoon, when he told her he'd meet her at Dr. Petersen's office and also promised he and Ireland were coming to dinner on Friday.
  3. He didn't show for therapy, nor did he call her afterward Thursday night to explain.
  4. She didn't even bother to call him in response either. And neither one of called the other on Friday.
  5. The very suggestive photo of him and Corrine ran Friday on Page Six of the New York Daily news along with a press release about the Thursday night party.
  6. He must have been terrified she'd already seen it -- and what might happen when he walked in to her apartment. He may have guessed (correctly) she was hoping he wouldn't even show up.

Then to see her dancing with her Dad, the loving family relationship -- and a parent who happened to be a cop.

• What if Gideon didn't get away with what he'd done - what if despite his planning, the cops did catch him?
  • Even if he did get away with it, how long would it be before Gideon and Eva would dance again?
  • Would they ever? Would she ever forgive him for being so cruel to her?

What if running through Gideon's mind was the image of Eva in a wedding gown dancing with her father at the reception? And some other man, not Gideon, was Eva's brand new husband?

Kristen I do,,, have a question for me?,,,p.s. even with new security turnstiles to go through at work,,,no handsome hand pressed to my lower back as I push through, boo hoo

I have tickets for Sylvia's event next week. I thought I'd be there on business but my mom needs some surgery so I won't be going. I'm looking to give my tickets to someone.

This chapter by far was the saddest so far. Gideon's reaction towards Eva throughout this chapter was heart breaking. I have a feeling he was imaging not having a future with Eva because of everything he has done up to this point. Her broken heart is killing him.

I have tickets for Sylvia's event next week. I thought I'd be there on business but my mom needs some surgery so I won't be going. I'm looking to give my tickets to someone.

If I could get over there Kirsten I would go but I have staff off on holiday but I am sure someone on this site will take them x

This chapter by far was the saddest so far. Gideon's reaction towards Eva throughout this chapter was heart breaking. I have a feeling he was imaging not having a future with Eva because of everything he has done up to this point. Her broken heart is killing him.

I can so agree with you here, my heart was breaking reading this chapter :(

Well because the story is getting so dark now, I felt my passage today needed a little lift, well almost.

"Daddy". I yelled, waving.

His face lit up when he saw me, and a wide smile curved his mouth.

"There's my girl." He picked me up in a hug that had my feet dangling above the floor. "I've missed you like crazy."

I started crying. I couldn't help it. Being with him again was the last emotional straw.

This poor confused woman. At least she has her rock for comfort. GO VICTOR!

I am totally going to use wedding tackle in my vocabulary:) Thanks! I love it!! I am learning so many cool sayings from our lovely European ladies:)

Oh dear. ;)

I'm sure you can teach us a thing or two. Lol

I don't think the Queen uses the term wedding tackle. Heeheehee