One Chapter A Day - Re-Read Of Bared and Entwined

LN Cronan

I know right? it's definitely going to created complications. We've already seen some of it in both books I'm curious as to how Sylvia will do this storyline on Cary.

Hi Caroline,

I don't think that liking both genders really has anything to do with whether a person will be capable of being faithful.  I think that ultimately when a person is in a committed relationship, they have the choice as to whether they will remain faithful to the person they are in relationship with.  Do you know what I mean?   What does everyone think? 

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know right? it's definitely going to created complications. We've already seen some of it in both books I'm curious as to how Sylvia will do this storyline on Cary.

Hi Caroline,

It seems that our Cary is a wee bit of a naughty boy...he loves the ladies...and men... (well actually I was thinking something else more cheeky but that's ok).  I wonder how Sylvia is going to deal with the Cary character.

Or wait, didn't Sylvia say that she let's the characters speak and she just types very quickly.. I wonder what Cary will say about his lovelife and how he wants to deal with it?  :)  What do you think?

Hi Julie,

I think that Gideon’s violent nightmares are a symptom of his underlying issues.  I think that as soon as he starts to deal with the trauma he suffered as a child and starts talking about what happened to him as a child, then I think that the nightmares will resolve.

I also like your suggestion of separate beds.  It seems reasonable given the circumstances.  I am not sure if Eva could continue to fend Gideon off in one of his “nightmare†states.  I think that if Eva was repeatedly force to have to defend herself against a man that she loves, it would end up draining her emotionally and ultimately the relationship wouldn’t survive.  What do you think?  What does everyone think?

morning Gigi

Weekend is nearly here, so I can start to burn the midnight oil with you!

When I googled this subject, I was horrified at what the people go through. They are treated with meds and therapy, but I couldn't find anywhere where it stated that they recovered totally.

Hopefully, Gideons nightmares will ease when he starts to open up to Eva and Dr Petersen.

Not only would Eva struggle if Gideon kept attacking her while sleeping together,, but I think it would crucify Gideon as well as he is a big chap.

okay just throwing this out and forgive me because I forgot who mentioned this in their post because I want to give them credit for it. They were talking about baggage both of them had. Originally I had thought the luggage tags on the cover of EWY would be a gift from Eva to Gideon but now I think the luggage tags symbolize the baggage they both have especially Gideon when we get more into his past. Each book cover had a picture that symbolized something: BTY: was Gideon's cuff links but they also reminded me of their rings. RIY: was the FOB Eva gave to Gideon because she wanted him to give him his own key for him to use when he came over to her house like he did with her key to his apartment. EWY: luggage tags symbolizing Gideon's baggage of killing nathan and his past. What does everyone think??

Hi Caroline,

I think that the baggage tags can symbolize many things.  I think that for me, these tags symbolize the baggage each of these two carries around in daily life (i.e. that of being abused as children and of being survivors).  I don't know that I personally correlate the luggage tags with Gideon killing Nathan.  If the tags were ratty or dirty or covered in blood then I could have made that leap.

I think that the tags are also a link to their future.  These tags ground them, in that their names and addresses are on them (they know who they are and where they came from), but they also have the opportunity to make their own futures and travel (i.e. opening up their world or beginning to see the world literally and figuratively).  What do you think?  What does everyone think?

Hi Julie,

I don’t think that Cary being bisexual has anything to do with whether he would be able to remain faithful or not.  I think that Cary just likes men and women.  In the end I think it will depend on what type of relationship Cary will want for himself.  Will he want an open relationship (one where each partner has the ability to see more than one person at the same time) or will he choose a monogamous relationship (one where each person only sees the other during the course of the relationship).

I personally think that Cary started “misbehaving†after had the “discussion†with Trey.  Trey wanted Cary to be something that he’s not and I think that Cary wasn’t emotionally mature enough to let Trey go and to trust that life would bring him the right partner.   Or maybe Cary didn’t want to decide which side of the fence he wanted to sit and also didn’t have the courage to tell Trey that, so he played both sides of the fence until he got caught.  Who knows?  What do you think?  What does everyone think?

we need an opinion from someone who is or knows a person to get their pov. Cary says he loves Trey, but he loves to dip his wick in women. Surely if he loves Trey, he would be faithful to him. I agree that Cary is emotionally immature, if he wants a proper relationship, he needs to grow up. Poor boy!

morning Gigi

Weekend is nearly here, so I can start to burn the midnight oil with you!

When I googled this subject, I was horrified at what the people go through. They are treated with meds and therapy, but I couldn't find anywhere where it stated that they recovered totally.

Hopefully, Gideons nightmares will ease when he starts to open up to Eva and Dr Petersen.

Not only would Eva struggle if Gideon kept attacking her while sleeping together,, but I think it would crucify Gideon as well as he is a big chap.

Good morning Julie,

I think it depends on whether Gideon had these nightmares before his abuse or whether the abuse took its toll on Gideon psychologically and the nightmares started occuring after the abuse.  I suspect that Gideon started having nightmares well after his abuse began (which means that Gideon might have a chance of resolving his nightmare issues).  It is the brains' way of trying to process the events of the abuse and the magnitude of the emotional damage that has been done. 

I know of many, many, many, people who have had specific periods of extreme stress, who got the appropriate mental help and never had recurrent violent nightmares.  I am hoping that Gideon will fall into this category.  The one thing I have to mention is that the brain is wonderous and very very tricky!  As scientists we know so little about how this magnificent organ works.  It is said that we as humans only use 10% of our brains.  So imagine what our brains must be doing while we sit back and scratch our heads trying to figure out why we did what we did.

I know that the brain "psyche" will self preserve in what ever way it needs to during extreme situations.  I would count se**** abuse as one of those situations.  Often times, victims will describe having an out-of-body experience.  That is the brains' way of trying to protect itself from the trauma being caused.  Other times, people can't remember the most horrific events or have mental blocks when trying to recall horrendous events.  That is the brains' way of trying to protect itself.  Do you know what I mean?

Good morning Julie,

I think it depends on whether Gideon had these nightmares before his abuse or whether the abuse took its toll on Gideon psychologically and the nightmares started occuring after the abuse.  I suspect that Gideon started having nightmares well after his abuse began (which means that Gideon might have a chance of resolving his nightmare issues).  It is the brains' way of trying to process the events of the abuse and the magnitude of the emotional damage that has been done. 

I know of many, many, many, people who have had specific periods of extreme stress, who got the appropriate mental help and never had recurrent violent nightmares.  I am hoping that Gideon will fall into this category.  The one thing I have to mention is that the brain is wonderous and very very tricky!  As scientists we know so little about how this magnificent organ works.  It is said that we as humans only use 10% of our brains.  So imagine what our brains must be doing while we sit back and scratch our heads trying to figure out why we did what we didgeridoo gig

I know that the brain "psyche" will self preserve in what ever way it needs to during extreme situations.  I would count se**** abuse as one of those situations.  Often times, victims will describe having an out-of-body experience.  That is the brains' way of trying to protect itself from the trauma being caused.  Other times, people can't remember the most horrific events or have mental blocks when trying to recall horrendous events.  That is the brains' way of trying to protect itself.  Do you know what I mean?

hey Gigi

I agree with you totally, hopefully Gideon will resolve his issues, so they can resume sleeping together.

Most of the patients, didn't recall anything of the attack when questioned after their nightmare. It's a very sad illness, born out of some horrendous time in their lives.

I thought the same Peachies.

Ript I think that it had a digital display so the time could be set, but I would have to go an look at the chapter again.

Hi Peachies & Kirsten,

I was thinking the same thing.  So wait, let me understand, do you ladies think that Eva was replacing the nightmare time with the time that they spent having s**?  Eva coaxed Gideon into waking up and then had s** with him (to help him forget his nightmare or to help him let go of his nightmare).  Is that theory?  Or have I gotten it wrong?  What do you ladies think?  What does everyone think?

Hi everyone,

One of my favourite lines from Chapter 10 is:

I spoke firmly, although my heart was breaking.  “Gideon.  You’re dreaming.  Come back to me.â€

In that instance Eva gets a glimpse into what is tormenting Gideon and her past experiences of being an abuse survivor have alerted her to the fact that Gideon may have suffered a similar childhood. 

We as the readers get to see a compassionate and saddened side of Eva.  We also get an insight into how Eva deals with Gideon.  

OK, one last note before my brain blows off.

The fact that Gedeon is taking Eva to his apartment, where his mother has been the only woman allowed so far, says something about how much he is into Eva right now (pun absolutely intended). Gedeon is making Eva realize she means a lot to him through a connection to the most important woman in his life, and through his plea to be allowed to 'hang on to (her)for a while', just like a small child would his own mummy to calm down after a sudden fright. I know that 'mum issues' have already come up earlier on, so there's no need to discuss them here, but there's no denying Gedeon is pushing all of Eva's right buttons!

They don't have s** that night (can you imagine?), but are able to enjoy one another 'without actively f******', which is a huge step further in their relationship. Things seem to be going well between them, but then Gedeon's nightmare occurs and we are plunged into drama again.

I'm really looking forward to reading what is going to happen to our heroes.... too bad I'll have to wait till 14th June!!!!!! LOL

Ciao Gabri,

Your assessment is correct.  It is funny that it seems like Gideon is a little boy trapped in a man's body.  Eva has taken over the role of the mother, and the lover figure.  I am surprised that Eva doesn't suffer from whiplash. Her head keeps turning every other second.:)

Something else came to mind, do you think that Gideon and Eva are putting unfair expectations on one another?  They each have so much baggage between them and are expecting the other to fulfill that it is almost unrealistic.  What do you think?  What does everyone think?

One of my favorite parts of chapter 10 is when Eva calls Cary to tell him she will not be home later and that she is at Gideon's place .After she gives him the down low about what happened he replies 'I'm not even sure what to say about that " and of course Eva thinks a speechless Cary Taylor speaks volumes .... So even Cary who has supposedly seen it all thinks this is quite an event.

Hi Sscrph,

I guess the events must have been epic in order for Cary to be speechless.  I can only imagine the look on Cary's face when Eva was describing the events of the evening.  Sigh!

I wonder how crowded it will be...I must admit Ive never been to anything like this before,,,don't really know what to expect...we think it starts at 7p...does she usually start talking right away? Are there questions and answers from the gorup? Does she read an excerpt?? Anyone been to one of there before???

Sigh Golfergirl, Donnad, Caroline,

You are luck ladies!  You must tell me and all of the other ladies in the forum about what the book signing was like. :)

Hi everyone,

I was reading everyone’s postings and said correlations between the snapshots and the chapters.  I was just wondering, are we going to be getting any snapshots of blue balls or is there going to be some kind of specific reference or snapshot that we the readers will have to decipher from?  :)

Maybe it will be a picture of Michaelanlgelo's DAVID with the balls painted blue LOL!!

I still don't understand what happened that night. At one moment he is creating a photo op giving her a passionate kiss for the paparazzi then later in the evening when he found her in the restaurant after she ran he said they had to leave because he couldn't be seen out. That's when they went to his place.. what was he afraid

of?

Hello rcmcap!!!

I think Gedeon is afraid of the emotional breakdown Eva's runner caused. He's at a loss indeed, and feels the need to be in a safer environment to deal with this brand new feeling.

Chapter Ten of Bared To You - The Readers Guide

This chapter continued where Chapter Nine left off, Monday evening (day eight of the story). It went through late morning on Tuesday (day nine).

Key plot developments:

• Eva pulled her first runner of the brand new relationship by fleeing the hotel. Gideon tracked her down and they made up.
  • Gideon took her home with him, the first woman he'd ever taken there.
  • The next morning, Eva got thrilling news - Cary had just landed a major modeling job.
  • Then she discovered she's made the news - as Gideon Cross' new girlfriend.

New characters

None in this chapter.

The rest of their second date night

Chapter Nine ended with Eva fleeing Gideon's hotel room. Chapter Ten opens with exiting the hotel lobby, paranoid she's being watched doing the "... walk of shame." (page 141)

She wandered the streets for a while, her anger and embarrassment eventually fading into regret she'd been spiteful to Gideon. It dawned on her she'd just resorted to an old pattern years of therapy had tried to break. She should have known better than " .... to wound and run when I was hurting." (page 142)

She eventually sat down in a restaurant, deciding to leave a message for her former therapist (Dr. Travis in San Diego). That's when she noticed Gideon had called 21 times. And by text, begged her " ... Don't break up with me. Talk to me ...."  (page 142)

He was frantic on the phone when they did talk. He soon tracked her down, and he asked her to go home with him.

He promised her home wouldn't be like the hotel. He'd never taken any other women home - no sex partners, no women he dated socially, not even his female friends. His mother was the only woman he'd ever allowed there.

In the middle of the night, Eva was woken up by the sound of Gideon having a nightmare, one in which he'd been telling someone to get their hands off of him, a nightmare in which he groaned "It hurts." 

She gently woke him up, and she chased away the nightmare by making love to him.

The next morning, on impulse she gave him a whimsical framed picture of herself, touching him more deeply than she could have known.

Eva gets news - and makes news

At her office late Tuesday morning, Cary called her with thrilling news. He'd just landed an important modeling job on a jeans advertising campaign. They made plans to go out to lunch together to celebrate.

Immediately after, while browsing the Internet, Eva came across something that freaked her out - she herself was news. Numerous celebrity gossip sites that avidly covered Gideon Cross were reporting he had a serious new girlfriend.

The reports named her and noted her socialite status,  identifying her as the daughter of Richard and Monica Stanton. There even were pictures, candid shots of Gideon passionately kissing her on the sidewalk near his gym the evening before. 

Chapter A Day Re-Read Project - Today is Chapter Eleven of Bared

This chapter starts lunchtime Tuesday (day nine). It ends somewhere in the middle of the night Tuesday into Wednesday (day ten).  

Key plot developments:

• Eva found out Gideon deliberately leaked the news about them being a couple to the media.
  • Cary's attitude toward Gideon shifted from negative (his stance because of how Gideon had treated Eva badly on Saturday) to positive (in light of Monday's developments, where Gideon made Eva his girlfriend.)
  • Eva sexually took the lead in another encounter with Gideon, this time in his office during the afternoon.
  • Eva started to get to know Gideon's driver, Angus.

Once each of us has read Chapter Eleven, our fun homework assignment from Sylvia herself is for each of us to pick our favorite quote or paragraph.

The chapter re-reads also have been the springboard here for lots of discussion. We're continuing to touch upon the chapter of the day, but even more, discussion has been jumping backward into the earlier chapters and forward in the story (even into Reflected and the Entwined snippets) as the re-reading leads us to analyze how different parts of the Crossfire saga have been connecting.

Hi Julie,

I don’t think that Cary being bisexual has anything to do with whether he would be able to remain faithful or not.  I think that Cary just likes men and women.  In the end I think it will depend on what type of relationship Cary will want for himself.  Will he want an open relationship (one where each partner has the ability to see more than one person at the same time) or will he choose a monogamous relationship (one where each person only sees the other during the course of the relationship).

I personally think that Cary started “misbehaving†after had the “discussion†with Trey.  Trey wanted Cary to be something that he’s not and I think that Cary wasn’t emotionally mature enough to let Trey go and to trust that life would bring him the right partner.   Or maybe Cary didn’t want to decide which side of the fence he wanted to sit and also didn’t have the courage to tell Trey that, so he played both sides of the fence until he got caught.  Who knows?  What do you think?  What does everyone think?

I agree Gigi. I don't think being bisexual would make Cary any less faithful. Cary is scared of being in a relationship, and afraid to trust someone to have that much power over him. Let us not forget he has quite the effed up past himself.

Chapter Eleven gave us our first real taste of just how much a celebrity Gideon is -- and that the tabloids/gossip sites are especially interested in his relationship status.

More importantly, when it suits his needs, he will deliberately manipulate the media. It's something that will be a hidden but key plot development in Reflected, and judging by Snapshot One of Entwined -- which has something to do with "press" -- will continue to be important to how the story continues to unfold.

1. Gideon, when he put Eva into the spotlight, unknowingly set in motion Nathan tracking down and then stalking Eva, putting her life in danger.
  2. As part of Gideon killing Nathan to save Eva, Gideon would brutally manipulate the media into thinking he dumped Eva for Corrine -- a lie that even Eva would believe was the truth.

His media history thus far -- and it's consequences to his relationship with Eva:

• His past dating relationships (every one of the platonic after Corrine) had various girlfriends being on his arm in high-profile social settings, including being photographed by the media. This is how he got his reputation of being a ladies man and of having a fetish for brunettes -- a history that would eat away at Eva's insecurities, most especially once Corrine returned to New York with the obvious intentions of getting Gideon back.
  • Early in their own relationship, Gideon and Eva got photographed several times. The times we know about, because they are important, are the candids of Gideon kissing Eva plus photos of them fighting (and making up) out in public a couple of days into their new relationship. Plus there are red carpet shots of their first date and red carpet shots of them at a second fundraiser weeks later. All of these photos were part of the Bared To You novel.
  • In the middle of Reflected, Gideon used the media to get photos of him and Corrine being a couple again, starting with him taking her out to dinner. He obviously made sure the media knew Corrine was his former fiancee, judging by screaming speculative captions and stories that immediately hit the Internet. This was done for the benefit of the stalking-Eva-Nathan, to try to defuse Nathan's escalation and buy more time to protect Eva.
  • An unintended consequence would come the next day. To immediately get even, Eva took Brett out to a restaurant too (including temporarily harboring a nasty impulse to get herself photographed with her own ex-lover). Fortunately, no photographers caught them, given the extreme danger Nathan posed at the time. However, the lunch cemented Brett's belief he can get Eva back.
  • Gideon used the media the night he killed Nathan to establish his alibi and further bolster his Corrine cover story (to protect him from motive.) He threw a PR party to which he brought Corrine as a date, and he staged a photograph with her where his body language (and Corrine's too) would lead anyone to suspect he and Corrine were lovers again. The accompanying story, whose dryness showed it obviously was a press release, identified the party location as the hotel where Gideon f****** Corrine throughout their past three-year relationship and where Gideon f****** every woman since then up to when he and Eva became involved.
  • However, yet again he'd underestimate the consequences of that photo opp to his relationship with Eva. She took it as proof he'd been cheating on her -- and he was back with Corrine because the r*** photos Nathan showed Gideon forever ended his sexual desire for Eva. Her heart broken, she'd end the relationship with a phone call that would traumatize Gideon -- and land him right at the top of the list of suspects in Nathan's murder.

Very early in Entwined, it's possible we'll hear more about his fake relationship with Corrine, and what it's made Corrine believe. Eva quit following Gideon online any more after that party photo. Because she deliberately kept herself in the dark about him going out with Corrine again, we readers also have been in the dark. However, Chapter One will involve the media somehow. And the fact Gideon is in the public eye will force him and Eva to hide their love as a secret relationship

Thanks, LN! These are great!

How long do you think that the first chapter in EWY will be?

Hard to say, because chapter lengths have varied throughout the Crossfire series. Those that contain some drawn-out scenes have been longer than some others. Examples include what happened between Gideon and Eva in the Vidal's library, the night Eva met Corrine, the sex-fueled fight Gideon and Eva have over Brett, Detective Graves revealing details of the murder investigation to Eva.

Hi Caroline,

I don't think that liking both genders really has anything to do with whether a person will be capable of being faithful.  I think that ultimately when a person is in a committed relationship, they have the choice as to whether they will remain faithful to the person they are in relationship with.  Do you know what I mean?   What does everyone think? 

yes and I agree with you. that's what it all boils down to - being in a commmited relationship and being faithful.

Hi Caroline,

It seems that our Cary is a wee bit of a naughty boy...he loves the ladies...and men... (well actually I was thinking something else more cheeky but that's ok).  I wonder how Sylvia is going to deal with the Cary character.

Or wait, didn't Sylvia say that she let's the characters speak and she just types very quickly.. I wonder what Cary will say about his lovelife and how he wants to deal with it?  :)  What do you think?

Yes that's exactly what she said. Cary sounds like he wants to be a naughty boy but he also wants to find someone to love him like Eva found with Gideon. he probably wants someone who has the same the virility like Gideon who can go for hours lol

I've gone to a few booksignings before at a B&N store before but not for Sylvia but I'm sure it works the same as the one I went to in Somerset at the Double Tree Hotel where they had two B&N store employees help out with the book signing. a B&N employee will have you write your name on a sticky note and put it in the book. She signs on the title page.  I can guarantee there will probably be a long line to get her autograph. If you're not getting an autograph then you don't have to worry about the long line. I thought I saw something that she said she was going to do a Q&A & then sign books. She said it's hard to talk to fans at book signings because they don't give her enough time to talk all her fans especially when it's a big crowd. she does personalize which is awesome!! I hope I helped answer your question.

I might go to the book signing. I live in PA so it wouldn't be that far for me.