One Chapter A Day - Re-Read Of Bared and Entwined

LN Cronan

These are my picks in Chap. 22:

1) "Did you know that Magdalene kept her hair long hoping it'd remind you of Corinne?"

He dropped his slacks and frowned at me. "Why?"

I sighed at his cluelessness. "Because she believes Corinne is who you want."

"Then she's not paying attention."

2) "Don't you get it? You drive women off of the deep end because you're are the ultmate. You're the grand prize. If a woman can't have you, they know they're settling for less than the best. So they can't think about not having you. They just think of crazy ways to try to get you."

"Except for the one I want," he retorted dryly, "who spends a lot of time running in the opposite direction."

3) "We had a rough night, but we got through it."

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't dislike the woman, she is just a sad, shallow individual, who had her priorities all wrong, and Eva suffered for it. Nothing will change what happened, and consequently she is now paying the price, of feeling guilty and will suffer to the end of her days.

I just feel like Monica didn't have a loving home life either and she did the best she knew how for her daughter.  I think Monica believed that wealth and status were the answer to good parenting.  Honestly what parent sends a pregnant daughter away without assistance.  Victor's only negative quality (that we know of for her parents) was his status/wealth.  We never hear anything about her maternal grandparents so I'm assuming that, even after all this time, they never had any contact with Eva or her mom. 

Monica is wrought with guilt and she knows she failed her daughter.  I think Monica can be salvaged but she will have to answer to Victor first.

I don't hate Monica either. Eva's reaction to what was going on was to withdraw, especially because Nathan was terrorizing her into silence.

That said, Monica obviously was devoting too much time to being a high society wife and not enough time mothering her daughter and stepson. She's guilty of neglect.

I don't hate Monica either, especially if she suffered from postpartum depression (or whatever her health condition was).

I take my cues from Eva. She didn't hate her mother, she gave her special care and attention instead. I think there must be something that Eva, even as a young girl, knew and understood about her mother's state. And having her mother seeing an expert on a regular basis to make her (Monica) at a better well-being would be plausible to make Eva withdraw. I guess as a daughter she wanted to have a happy and healthy (aka emotionally/psychologically capable of being a) mother. In return, she hoped she could be a happy and healthy daughter.

Peruse away, ladies.

[Edit: 20/05/13]

Vague arguments. Patiently waiting for the book(s). Still don't hate her, though *wink*

I don't hate Monica either, especially if she suffered from postpartum depression (or whatever her health condition was).

I take my cues from Eva. She didn't hate her mother, she gave her special care and attention instead. I think there must be something that Eva, even as a young girl, knew and understood about her mother's state. And having her mother seeing an expert on a regular basis to make her (Monica) at a better well-being would be plausible to make Eva withdraw. I guess as a daughter she wanted to have a happy and healthy (aka emotionally/psychologically capable of being a) mother. In return, she hoped she could be a happy and healthy daughter.

Peruse away, ladies.

I'm sorry now I'm the one that is CLUELESS what health condition does Monica suffer from?

I don't hate Monica I think she was self absorped and neglectful but I honestly believe she loves Eva very much. Just has a funny way of showing it because she obviously was not given the love she needed growing up. I think Eva never showed signs of the abuse that her mom would have noticed. Eva said the help knew and that makes sense because they did the laundry and probably saw blood and semen stains. They would have noticed Eva's behavior when Monica wasn't home. But child abuse victims become very good actors because they are terrified of their abuser. I had a friend in 6th grade who no one knew had been sexually abused by her grandfather for years. I spent the night at her house, went to family dinners and bbq seen countless interactions between her and her grandfather and never suspected a thing and her parents didn't either the only reason anyone found out is my friend's little sister told when the grandfather tried molest her as well.

It's funny that you mention that.

Communication is always a problem with Gideon.

He can take meetings, talking, he gives speeches at functions, talking, he did plenty of talking to Stanton and Monica, communicates at work.

So COMMUNICATE to Eva please!

Remember though nearing the end of Reflected when Gideon and Eva are in the car together after leaving Dr Lucas's office Eva tells Gideon she needs him to trust her and to start communicating and that is when he does start to open up.  I think personally it was there and then after Eva had shown him that she was determined to find out what happened to him that made him realise that this was one woman he could trust with his secrets and really would she be making such an effort if she did not love him, she already told him she was going to Marry Him and I think that made all the difference to Gideon.

The fact that someone was actually standing up for him and taking an interest I feel will make him feel more worthwhile and worthy of her and he will see that he can trust her with everything, he trusted her to tell her (Eva) parts of what happened while in the car.

He also said that she made him feel that he could go on and he could survive ( I am paraphrasing here but I do not have the book handy so could not remember the exact line)

Remember though nearing the end of Reflected when Gideon and Eva are in the car together after leaving Dr Lucas's office Eva tells Gideon she needs him to trust her and to start communicating and that is when he does start to open up.  I think personally it was there and then after Eva had shown him that she was determined to find out what happened to him that made him realise that this was one woman he could trust with his secrets and really would she be making such an effort if she did not love him, she already told him she was going to Marry Him and I think that made all the difference to Gideon.

The fact that someone was actually standing up for him and taking an interest I feel will make him feel more worthwhile and worthy of her and he will see that he can trust her with everything, he trusted her to tell her (Eva) parts of what happened while in the car.

He also said that she made him feel that he could go on and he could survive ( I am paraphrasing here but I do not have the book handy so could not remember the exact line)

"Because of you, the world makes sense to me in a way it didn't before. I have a place now, with you"

He wanted to be more than an outsider.

"Because of you, the world makes sense to me in a way it didn't before. I have a place now, with you"

He wanted to be more than an outsider.

I love this scene.  It let us see that regardless of how much material wealth he has achieved he is destitute in the emotional area.  He needs an emotional connection that only Eva can give to him.  Hopefully he will start acting a little smarter so he doesn't send her running permanently. 

I don't hate Monica either. Eva's reaction to what was going on was to withdraw, especially because Nathan was terrorizing her into silence.

That said, Monica obviously was devoting too much time to being a high society wife and not enough time mothering her daughter and stepson. She's guilty of neglect.

Just wondering..

Pre-teens and teenagers have a tendency to "withdraw"....from family life, etc...

Maybe Monica thought that Eva's withdrawal was just due to the "teenage" years?

Crossfire boxed set, releasing in July.
934931_10151430619388457_2098435106_n.jp

I don't know, I think I'll wait for all five to be released. Got the books now on my iPad, but I'd love the set when it's complete :)

Makes me think they thought the series was done w/ three books....why else would this be available? No?

Hi, sscrph

1. I've edited my questions about Geoffrey Cross and Monica Tramell by adding "I should've clearly mentioned these questions are for you, Sylvia."

2. My question was "Did Eva's mother suffer from postpartum depression?" It's a simple Y/N question that I hope Sylvia would answer.

3. Please keep in mind that I do realize it's not a matter of like/dislike. It's important, IMO, to be fully informed about the reason(s) behind Monica's behavior. Hence my question above. Eva knew something I don't about Monica that made Eva act the way she did to her mother. I expect this will be revealed in EWY.

Btw, I'd like to know more about Gideon's conversation with his mother regarding Cary in Chapter 16. Did you get the chance to ask about it on live chat with Sylvia?

Oh, one more thing. What do you think about my yoyo pattern part 2? *wink*

Thank you, sscrph.

XOXO

One thing that bothers me about Corrine is Gideon's description of her.  "She's beautiful and sweet, and never had an unkind word to say about anyone."   She wasn't sweet and kind to Eva and Gideon didn't seem to recognize it.

But then again we know Gideon can be CLUELESS!!!LOL

Hi, sscrph

1. I've edited my questions about Geoffrey Cross and Monica Tramell by adding "I should've clearly mentioned these questions are for you, Sylvia."

2. My question was "Did Eva's mother suffer from postpartum depression?" It's a simple Y/N question that I hope Sylvia would answer.

3. Please keep in mind that I do realize it's not a matter of like/dislike. It's important, IMO, to be fully informed about the reason(s) behind Monica's behavior. Hence my question above. Eva knew something I don't about Monica that made Eva act the way she did to her mother. I expect this will be revealed in EWY.

Btw, I'd like to know more about Gideon's conversation with his mother regarding Cary in Chapter 16. Did you get the chance to ask about it on live chat with Sylvia?

Oh, one more thing. What do you think about my yoyo pattern part 2? *wink*

Thank you, sscrph.

XOXO

Hi Andie I just asked the question about Gideon's comment to his mother concerning Cary on FB so we will see about that...also I just want you to know I luv luv luv how you coined GidEva and hope you don't mind if I use it in the future it saves type strokes LOL also can you tell me where yoyo part 2 is posted ?

Hi, sscrph

I don't mind at all coz that's the idea *wink*

I posted it yesterday after my posting about the characters in BTY.

I re-post it for you:

Well, here's the part 2 of the yoyo (LN Cronan named it the "yo-you" *wink*) pattern I found in BTY:

Chapter 11: Brain Gym: F-L-U-K-E

Resolution: H-U-R-T

Chapter 13: The Classics

Resolution: The Drill

Chapter 15: The Sole Eyewitness: Oral Skills-Based Assessment

Resolution: The Uninterrupted Intimately Crossfiristic Act

Chapter 17: Carte Blanche

Resolution: Under Seige

Chapter 19: The Countdown

Resolution: The Letdown

Chapter 21: Slammed!

Resolution: Reaffirmation Key

What do you think?

Thank you, sscrph

You all ROCK!

He'd left his sleep medication upstairs -- Dr. Petersen had prescribed it the day before (Tuesday) and Gideon had stayed over Tuesday night, so his bottle of meds was still upstairs in her apartment.

Hi, LN Cronan

Now I remember reading about this spoiler answer on another thread when I wasn't a registered member. If I'm not mistaken, it's on RIY spoiler thread. I think I'm so crossfired that I can't crossfire any crossfires that I crossfire about the Crossfire *whispering: crossfire* LOL

Thank you, LN Cronan

Good quote. Brings tears to my eyes thinking about it:)

I know JLS, I love this line, I think it shows a lot about Gideon and shows how much he needs Eva and is emotionally tied to her but also his shell is breaking a bit and letting her in whereas he has not done before with anyone else. :)

Crossfire boxed set, releasing in July.
934931_10151430619388457_2098435106_n.jp

I don't know, I think I'll wait for all five to be released. Got the books now on my iPad, but I'd love the set when it's complete :)

Makes me think they thought the series was done w/ three books....why else would this be available? No?

I am like you, I have them on my IPad but I will wait until they are all available as I like to have them hard copy as well. :)

Chapter Twenty Two of Bared to You - The Readers Guide

This chapter continues Wednesday evening (day 17) and is the final day of the Bared to You portion of the story. Reflected in You opens the following morning (day 18)

Key plot developments:

• In the prior chapter, Gideon discussed his past history with Corrine. In this chapter, he and Eva discussed his current connection to Corrine.
  • Eva realized she needs to deal with her out-of-control best friend, Cary, but Gideon convinced her it would be better to wait until the next day to start talking sense into Cary.
  • The novel ended with Eva learning she and Gideon literally have a key to one another.  

New characters

None in this chapter

Gideon's point of view regarding Corrine

Gideon feels guilty about the fact Corrine is still in love with him.  He senses she never got over him after their engagement ended years ago.  He blames himself for being the cause of Corrine's marriage falling apart - her husband finally figured out Corrine didn't love him (the husband) back.

Contrary to what Corrine claimed to Eva, Gideon does not, in fact, talk to Corrine on the phone every day. He's too busy -- especially now that so much of his time is spent with Eva.

Gideon refused, however, to agree to Eva's demand that he start weaning Corrine off. "She's a friend, Eva, and she's in a rough spot. It's a cruel time to cut her off." (page 332)

Eva's point of view regarding Corrine

Despite everything Gideon told Eva about the true nature of his long-finished romantic relationship with Corrine, Eva admitted she's still going to have a problem with Corrine (i.e. Corrine is still in love with him, and Eva is insecure/jealous about the situation period.)

The fact Corrine has been calling Gideon daily especially bothers Eva -- Eva thinks Corrine is stalking him, and she told Gideon as much, that the situation is nuts.

Because Gideon still refused to agree to cut off Corrine, Eva threatened him about setting a precedent for dealing with exes -- because Eva has exes of her own.  That made the possessive Gideon bristle.

What to do about Cary

Eva's been dismayed by Cary's sex life spiraling out of control over the past two-plus weeks. He'd gone from starting a stable new relationship with a nice guy (Trey) to cheating on Trey by sleeping with a friends-with-benefits woman (and Trey caught the two of them in bed together.) Now Cary had an orgy in his/Eva's living room, him drunk, another guy high on drugs, and two women .... well, who knows about them.

In the prior chapter, both Eva and Gideon had gotten angry at Cary -- Eva angry because Cary is continuing to screw up his new relationship and Gideon angry because Cary had some drugged-up guy in the apartment. Things ended with Cary storming off to his room.

In this final chapter, Eva explained she's been down this road before with Cary (i.e. life in crisis) and Cary needs her. Eva doesn't want to simply go to Gideon's until Cary snaps out of it - Cary needs her.

Surprisingly, Gideon agrees. But he convinced Eva to wait until the next day to confront Cary. Meanwhile, for safety reasons, Gideon insists they sleep at his place instead of Eva's that night.

How things wrap up

Downstairs, Gideon and Eva climbed into his car and are ready to leave when Gideon realizes he left something upstairs (Sylvia later told us it was Gideon's bottle of newly-prescribed sleep medication).

Gideon being able to run back upstairs himself, instead of Eva needing to let him in, revealed that he'd made himself a copy of her apartment key the first time she lent it to him -- and he held onto that copy even during the four days they were apart.

Equally as significant, even when he'd done the knee-jerk reaction of breaking up with her (over the nightmares) and had returned her keys with the Dear Jane note he'd sent, he'd left on her keychain a copy of his own apartment key he'd made for her.

So she realized they each literally have the key to one another and did so even when they were apart.

Fade to black ....

The group re-read project starts in on Reflected in You today.

A Chapter A Day Re-Read Project - Today is Chapter One of Reflected in You

This chapter opens up Thursday morning (day 18).

Key plot developments

• Having met the brunette Corrine the night before, Eva now fears what she thinks is the real reason for Gideon's brunette fixation - and she discusses the subject with Gideon.  
  • We readers learn more about how it was Gideon first spotted Eva at the Crossfire.
  • Shifting weekend plans cause an argument:
  • Originally, Gideon planned to take Eva to the Florida keys, but suddenly he'd learned early that morning he needs to go to Arizona on urgent business -- and he demands Eva go with him.
  • She doesn't want to leave town for the weekend, because Cary's in crisis and she wants to spend the weekend being supportive to her best friend.
  • They reach a compromise - Eva can spend the much-needed time with Cary in Las Vegas, at one of the hotels Gideon owns there, and take security with her if she leaves the property. Gideon is worried about her security, given how much press she's received recently as his girlfriend.