One Chapter A Day - Re-Read Of Bared and Entwined

LN Cronan

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Chapter A Day Re-Read Project - Today is Chapter 2 of Reflected in You

This chapter starts Thursday morning and goes through lunchtime (day 18).

Key plot developments

• Eva spotted Corrine walking out of the Crossfire looking like Gideon had just f******* her upstairs in his office during lunchtime.
  • In one instant, Corrine managed to undo all the assurances Gideon made to Eva the night before -- and even undo some additional assurances Eva had received that morning from, of all people, Magdalene. Magdalene had called Eva at work to gossip about what really went on between Gideon and Corrine at the fundraiser the night before.
  • The lunchtime incident ruined what had been up to then a good day for Eva:
  1. She'd made plans with Cary to spend quality BFF time together that coming weekend in Las Vegas.
  2. She'd gone to lunch with Megumi, the receptionist at her office, starting to build the first new friendship Eva would make in New York.
  3. Her boss, Mark, had given her new responsibility that would start to build her own career.

After each of us has read Chapter 2, Sylvia would like to know what each of us liked best - either a quote or a paragraph.

Chapter 1 of Reflected in You - The Readers Guide

This chapter opens up Thursday morning (day 18).

Key plot developments

This opening chapter contains three major foreshadowing clues:

1. In professing his love for Eva, Gideon claimed he'd even kill for her
  2. For the first time, Gideon discussed openly he'd become preoccupied with about Eva's physical safety because of all the public attention she's received.
  3. Meanwhile, Eva had become preoccupied with Gideon's brunette fixation, which Eva has come to believe is an unconscious preoccupation Gideon has always had with Corrine.On a related matter, Eva learned just how strongly Gideon had become attracted to her (Eva) the first time he laid eyes on her. 

New characters

Anne Lucas - mentioned in passing and not yet by name.

First foreshadow - how far Gideon would go for Eva

"I'd kill for you, give up everything I own for you .... but I won't give you up," Gideon told (page 16).

At the time, he said it in a figurative sense as he was reassuring Eva, in the face of Corrine's reappearance, that Gideon loves her (Eva). This would play itself out literally though - Gideon would kill to protect Eva from mortal danger. As part of what was to come, he would cruelly push Eva away from him for her own protection - but at the same time, he'd try to prevent her from giving him up.

Second foreshadow - how much Gideon wants to protect her

"My plane, my hotel, and if you leave the premises, you take a security team with you," Gideon told her, and on a related matter, "You'll forgive me if I don't trust (Cary) with your physical security after last night." (both on page 11.)

This would play itself out through Gideon taking security measures, in cooperation with Eva's mother and her stepfather, to protect her when Nathan reappeared in New York. However, unlike the weekend-trip matter, where Gideon openly discussed security measures, Eva would be kept completely in the dark about the danger Nathan posed -- and would find out about it after the fact under traumatic circumstances. 

At the time Gideon made the remark about the plane/hotel/security, they were arguing aver Eva's desire to stay in New York that coming weekend in order to spend time with Cary, obviously in self-destructive mode, as evidenced by the orgy Cary hosted the night before.

Gideon had found out that morning that urgent business required him to travel to Arizona that weekend, the first time he'd be leaving New York since Eva had become his girlfriend. He demanded she come with him, because he didn't want to leave her in New York, given her sudden celebrity status as Gideon Cross' serious new girlfriend.

The pair of them compromised: Eva and Cary could spend the weekend in Las Vegas, where Gideon owns several hotels.

Third foreshadow - about Gideon's brunette fixation

In discussing Corrine, Gideon blurted out some things that, without him even knowing it, would convince Eva that throughout the years, Corrine has always held a tremendous power over Gideon.

"About this (brunette) type thing .... Corrine was surprised by you. You weren't what she'd expected ... Because ... you don't look like her."

Sensing that Eva freaked out about what he's just revealed, Gideon honestly added, "Eva ... I don't know if she's right ... If that's what it was, it wasn't conscious. I didn't know I was looking for anything until I saw you."

This would play itself out by Eva convinced Corrine was right - Gideon had been always seeking out Corrine in subsequent women. This coupled with Corrine calculatedly playing to Eva's insecurities and jealousies would cause Eva to doubt Gideon loved her -- that for him, his feelings were only sexual attraction, Then when circumstances made her conclude his sexual attraction to her (Eva) had been destroyed and he'd resumed sleeping with Corrine, Eva would do what she felt Gideon hadn't the courage to do - end his relationship with Eva.

The initial attraction

There was more to the story of their first meeting that Eva knew, something she ended up finding out about in Chapter 1. She had thought it was as simple as Gideon spotting her having just fallen over in the lobby of the Crossfire and coming to her aid to help her stand up.

It turned out that Gideon had deliberately gone into the building after her. He'd spotted her outside moments before as she entered the building. He'd been sitting in the back of his Bentley as the curbside and she'd stopped next to the car in order to gaze up at the skyscraper.

"You hit me the instant I saw you ... I couldn't look away. I wanted you immediately. Excessively. Almost violently .... You were looking up at the building and I pictured you on your knees, looking up at me that same way ... with excitement. A little awe ... a little intimidation," Gideon explained. (pages 12-13).

Thus he followed Eva inside, and found her literally on her knees -- she'd dropped to the floor of the lobby to help pick up the spilled contents of some other woman's purse.

Eva admitted that when she saw Gideon for the first time, all she could think about was sex - something he could see too. But more importantly:

"And I knew you saw me, too. Saw what I am ... what I have inside me. You saw right through me," he explained, describing what for him had actually been love, not simply attraction, at first sight.

My favorite part of Chapter 2 is this paragraph, bottom of page 22, that sums what has kept Eva and Gideon together -- what will keep them together in Entwined and beyond:

We were together because we were addicted to each other. I was never as intoxicated as I was when we were happy together, and I knew it was the same for him. We were putting ourselves through the wringer for those moments of perfection between us, but they were so tenuous that only our stubbornness, determination and love kept us fighting for them.

Chapter 1 of Reflected in You - The Readers Guide

This chapter opens up Thursday morning (day 18).

Key plot developments

This opening chapter contains three major foreshadowing clues:

• In professing his love for Eva, Gideon claimed he'd even kill for her
  • For the first time, Gideon discussed openly he'd become preoccupied with about Eva's physical safety because of all the public attention she's received.
  • Meanwhile, Eva had become preoccupied with Gideon's brunette fixation, which Eva has come to believe is an unconscious preoccupation Gideon has always had with Corrine.On a related matter, Eva learned just how strongly Gideon had become attracted to her (Eva) the first time he laid eyes on her. 

New characters

Anne Lucas - mentioned in passing and not yet by name.

First foreshadow - how far Gideon would go for Eva

"I'd kill for you, give up everything I own for you .... but I won't give you up," Gideon told (page 16).

At the time, he said it in a figurative sense as he was reassuring Eva, in the face of Corrine's reappearance, that Gideon loves her (Eva). This would play itself out literally though - Gideon would kill to protect Eva from mortal danger. As part of what was to come, he would cruelly push Eva away from him for her own protection - but at the same time, he'd try to prevent her from giving him up.

Second foreshadow - how much Gideon wants to protect her

"My plane, my hotel, and if you leave the premises, you take a security team with you," Gideon told her, and on a related matter, "You'll forgive me if I don't trust (Cary) with your physical security after last night." (both on page 11.)

This would play itself out through Gideon taking security measures, in cooperation with Eva's mother and her stepfather, to protect her when Nathan reappeared in New York. However, unlike the weekend-trip matter, where Gideon openly discussed security measures, Eva would be kept completely in the dark about the danger Nathan posed -- and would find out about it after the fact under traumatic circumstances. 

At the time Gideon made the remark about the plane/hotel/security, they were arguing aver Eva's desire to stay in New York that coming weekend in order to spend time with Cary, obviously in self-destructive mode, as evidenced by the orgy Cary hosted the night before.

Gideon had found out that morning that urgent business required him to travel to Arizona that weekend, the first time he'd be leaving New York since Eva had become his girlfriend. He demanded she come with him, because he didn't want to leave her in New York, given her sudden celebrity status as Gideon Cross' serious new girlfriend.

The pair of them compromised: Eva and Cary could spend the weekend in Las Vegas, where Gideon owns several hotels.

Third foreshadow - about Gideon's brunette fixation

In discussing Corrine, Gideon blurted out some things that, without him even knowing it, would convince Eva that throughout the years, Corrine has always held a tremendous power over Gideon.

"About this (brunette) type thing .... Corrine was surprised by you. You weren't what she'd expected ... Because ... you don't look like her."

Sensing that Eva freaked out about what he's just revealed, Gideon honestly added, "Eva ... I don't know if she's right ... If that's what it was, it wasn't conscious. I didn't know I was looking for anything until I saw you."

This would play itself out by Eva convinced Corrine was right - Gideon had been always seeking out Corrine in subsequent women. This coupled with Corrine calculatedly playing to Eva's insecurities and jealousies would cause Eva to doubt Gideon loved her -- that for him, his feelings were only sexual attraction, Then when circumstances made her conclude his sexual attraction to her (Eva) had been destroyed and he'd resumed sleeping with Corrine, Eva would do what she felt Gideon hadn't the courage to do - end his relationship with Eva.

The initial attraction

There was more to the story of their first meeting that Eva knew, something she ended up finding out about in Chapter 1. She had thought it was as simple as Gideon spotting her having just fallen over in the lobby of the Crossfire and coming to her aid to help her stand up.

It turned out that Gideon had deliberately gone into the building after her. He'd spotted her outside moments before as she entered the building. He'd been sitting in the back of his Bentley as the curbside and she'd stopped next to the car in order to gaze up at the skyscraper.

"You hit me the instant I saw you ... I couldn't look away. I wanted you immediately. Excessively. Almost violently .... You were looking up at the building and I pictured you on your knees, looking up at me that same way ... with excitement. A little awe ... a little intimidation," Gideon explained. (pages 12-13).

Thus he followed Eva inside, and found her literally on her knees -- she'd dropped to the floor of the lobby to help pick up the spilled contents of some other woman's purse.

Eva admitted that when she saw Gideon for the first time, all she could think about was sex - something he could see too. But more importantly:

"And I knew you saw me, too. Saw what I am ... what I have inside me. You saw right through me," he explained, describing what for him had actually been love, not simply attraction, at first sight.

I always said it was love at first sight for Gideon.

Eva broke the spell of his brunette fixation. It was as if he was awoken from a spell, which had bound him for so long.Which at the moment, we don't know the reason for it. I'm still sticking with mummy issues.

With this project, between re-reading the pages and listening to the audiobooks, things continue to leap out at me in a new way. Like this seemingly innocuous line at the bottom of page 29, Eva thinking she was simply in an off-kilter mood but what actually was a flash of psychic certainty:

I had this sick feeling in my gut, like something awful was going to happen.

Because it was. She was leaving the Crossfire to go out to lunch with a new friend. Something awful was about to happen to her and to Gideon too -- things that would send each of them spinning out of control.

The awful for Gideon: during that lunch hour, Nathan would appear in Gideon's office, carrying with him pictures and video of him raping Eva as a girl. None of this is spelled out in Reflected itself -- Sylvia revealed Nathan's visit in spoiler details she later posted to this fan site. I imagine that in Entwined, we will find out more about Nathan's interactions with Gideon. But in the meantime, Nathan would rip open Gideon's deepest wounds: of being a childhood sexual abuse survivor and of fearing for the safety of the one thing that meant the world to him, Eva. The latter would drive Gideon to kill.

The awful for Eva: as Eva returned from lunch, Corrine, in the lobby of the Crossfire, spotted Eva across the street. So Corrine would leap at the opportunity to wound her rival -- Corrine messed up her hair and make-up and then stroll out Crossfire looking like Gideon had just f******* her upstairs in his office. This vicious stunt would rip open parts of Eva, unleashing Eva's twin demons of insecurity and jealousy. These demons would drive Eva to leave Gideon.

I have often wondered, if Eva will do anything with her "compensation money". Part of me thinks she might use it to help abused children in some way. She said she wouldnt touch it, but if it was a good cause? I could also see Gideon offering funding as well.

With this project, between re-reading the pages and listening to the audiobooks, things continue to leap out at me in a new way. Like this seemingly innocuous line at the bottom of page 29, Eva thinking she was simply in an off-kilter mood but what actually was a flash of psychic certainty:

I had this sick feeling in my gut, like something awful was going to happen.

Because it was. She was leaving the Crossfire to go out to lunch with a new friend. Something awful was about to happen to her and to Gideon too -- things that would send each of them spinning out of control.

The awful for Gideon: during that lunch hour, Nathan would appear in Gideon's office, carrying with him pictures and video of him raping Eva as a girl. None of this is spelled out in Reflected itself -- Sylvia revealed Nathan's visit in spoiler details she later posted to this fan site. I imagine that in Entwined, we will find out more about Nathan's interactions with Gideon. But in the meantime, Nathan would rip open Gideon's deepest wounds: of being a childhood sexual abuse survivor and of fearing for the safety of the one thing that meant the world to him, Eva. The latter would drive Gideon to kill.

The awful for Eva: as Eva returned from lunch, Corrine, in the lobby of the Crossfire, spotted Eva across the street. So Corrine would leap at the opportunity to wound her rival -- Corrine messed up her hair and make-up and then stroll out Crossfire looking like Gideon had just f******* her upstairs in his office. This vicious stunt would rip open parts of Eva, unleashing Eva's twin demons of insecurity and jealousy. These demons would drive Eva to leave Gideon.

I'm liking your twin demons, insecurity and jealousy. Actually both of our lovers share this disease.

Well, here's the part 2 of the yoyo (LN Cronan named it the "yo-you" *wink*) pattern I found in BTY:

Chapter 11: Brain Gym: F-L-U-K-E

Resolution: H-U-R-T

Chapter 13: The Classics

Resolution: The Drill

Chapter 15: The Sole Eyewitness: Oral Skills-Based Assessment

Resolution: The Uninterrupted Intimately Crossfiristic Act

Chapter 17: Carte Blanche

Resolution: Under Seige

Chapter 19: The Countdown

Resolution: The Letdown

Chapter 21: Slammed!

Resolution: Reaffirmation Key

What do you think?

Hi Andie, LUV Chapter 15: The Sole Eyewitness-Oral Skills Based Assessment---definitely an eye opening experience as I can picture Maggie's eyes bugging out of her head - talk about TMI!!!

Love Chapter 15: The Sole Eyewitness-Oral Skills Based Assessment

I'm liking your twin demons, insecurity and jealousy. Actually both of our lovers share this disease.

And they are twin demons - insecurity and jealousy.

The jealousy causes Eva and Gideon both to fear other people. Not just the specific jealousy of Corrine (Eva) and Brett (Gideon). It extends to overall generalized anxiety about other women and men, period. Eva goes a little nuts inside over every brunette she even suspects Gideon might have known, and Gideon over-reacts in his behavior to practically every man who goes near Eva. It's very dysfunctional what both of them do.

The insecurity causes Eva and Gideon to doubt themselves. Eva believes (wrongly) it's really simply about the sex, period, with Gideon -- because sex is the only way she knew how to try to reach out to guys. Sooner or later, Gideon's going to tire of her and throw her onto the reject pile, Eva's insecurities tell her. Gideon believes (wrongly) he's unworthy of love, because he was shattered by parental abandonment. Sooner or later, Eva's going to abandon him, Gideon's insecurities tell him.

I think Gideon's life would have unraveled eventually regardless.  There would have been another catalyst that would have brought all the baggage out at least Eva loves him and will help him through it.

Yes Eva is a catalyst for good in this case!!!

Hello, ladies

Chapter 2

1. My favorites

line: My right to say no was my most valued possession (p. 23)

paragraph: We were together because we were addicted to each other. I was never as intoxicated as I was when we were happy together, and I knew it was the same for him. We were putting ourselves through the wringer for those moments of perfection between us, but they were so tenunous that only our stubbornness, determination, and love kept us fighting for them (p. 22)

scene: Eva tasting the blueberry-flavored coffee

2. When I read BTY together with all of you, it's my second time reading it from cover to cover [i'd say it again that the RIY spoiler thread and A couple of questions thread have persuaded crossfired me to buy and read the Crossfire series and become a registered member]. However, I read the first five chapters over and over again during our project. It seemed to me there's some kind of repetition throughout those chapters. And that's how I found the pattern: the yo-yo__yo-you pattern [i previously callled it yoyo pattern, then LN Cronan came up with yo-you pattern. So, why not combine them? *wink*]

Unfortunately, that pattern can only operate effectively in even-numbered chapters. This is the point (among others) when I think Sylvia is very clever. She blurred the pattern by giving us 19 chapters RIY. I'm guessing the originally 20 chapters manuscript was greatly edited and deleted, leaving just enough pieces of paragraph to be inserted in the published last chapter [Again, please correct me if I'm wrong, Sylvia]

Now as I finished reading Chapter 2 of RIY [yes, I only read it from cover to cover once before I immediately joined the forum], I've come to a conclusion that the pattern's still applicable... with a twist. The conflict isn't introduced in the opening chapter. As a reader, I'm being informed with play-by-play Gideon-saw-Eva moment instead. This chapter's cerebrally designed to unveil the fact that Gideon "had deliberately backtracked inside" (p. 12). Thus it becomes the Prelude of the book and honestly for me it's a red flag chapter [Don't you think it's way too convenient to explain something from the first chapter of the previous book right at the beginning of the next book? Plus, the "I'd kill for you" (p.16) is already proven as a red flag]

Chapter 2 is clearly where the yo-yo__yo-you pattern starts. It gives me the-woman-I-don't-hate-because-I'm-too-consumed-with-GidEva Corinne. In other words, the decision of having 19 chapters is brilliant! RIY doesn't end in a cliffhanger after all. Sylvia, you ROCK!

[i still think it'd be so much better and helpful if there were more paragraphs, though. Several pages longer to cover one chapter that could serve as the Epilogue*grin* Well, at least I know EWY has even-numbered chapters and I recognized "The Lurking PEN" confllict and "Together We Can" resolution]

Peruse away, ladies

Hi Andie, LUV Chapter 15: The Sole Eyewitness-Oral Skills Based Assessment---definitely an eye opening experience as I can picture Maggie's eyes bugging out of her head - talk about TMI!!!

Love Chapter 15: The Sole Eyewitness-Oral Skills Based Assessment

Hi, sscrph

Thank you. It took a while for me to come up with that  LOL

Please keep me posted about Chapter 16's Gideon-Elizabeth-Cary enigmatic remarks.

And they are twin demons - insecurity and jealousy.

The jealousy causes Eva and Gideon both to fear other people. Not just the specific jealousy of Corrine (Eva) and Brett (Gideon). It extends to overall generalized anxiety about other women and men, period. Eva goes a little nuts inside over every brunette she even suspects Gideon might have known, and Gideon over-reacts in his behavior to practically every man who goes near Eva. It's very dysfunctional what both of them do.

The insecurity causes Eva and Gideon to doubt themselves. Eva believes (wrongly) it's really simply about the sex, period, with Gideon -- because sex is the only way she knew how to try to reach out to guys. Sooner or later, Gideon's going to tire of her and throw her onto the reject pile, Eva's insecurities tell her. Gideon believes (wrongly) he's unworthy of love, because he was shattered by parental abandonment. Sooner or later, Eva's going to abandon him, Gideon's insecurities tell him.

This is why they need to continue therapy.

No relationship can continue if they sustain the twin demons (you should trademark that lol)

Sometimes I just feels like someone should just slap them so they can wake up and notice that the other isn't going anywhere. Plus, in the beginning of EWY you can already tell that Eva's worry of Gideon's brunette fixation carries over when she sees the reporter. 

Andie, here's a link to something you might like on Pinterest, a graphic of some of the ways plots unfold in good fiction. I happened to come across this on Facebook the day after you perceived the plot pattern in Bared to You. Coincidence? Maybe not. The part labeled "Swain's Plotting Method" hit me right away, because when I read it, I instantly recognized Sylvia's genius for how she continues to drive the plot tension time and time and time again.

http://pinterest.com/pin/279293614363996920/

When Eva returns from lunch, she sees Gideon's care parked outside the Crossfire building.  She assumes he just returned from lunch.  How could he have returned from lunch, when he was still in his office when she was leaving for her lunch.  He must take the shortest lunches.  She only has an hour.  

This is why they need to continue therapy.

No relationship can continue if they sustain the twin demons (you should trademark that lol)

Sometimes I just feels like someone should just slap them so they can wake up and notice that the other isn't going anywhere. Plus, in the beginning of EWY you can already tell that Eva's worry of Gideon's brunette fixation carries over when she sees the reporter.

But I also think we have to take in account who Gideon is--he has more than the normal amount of females salivating over him ; he is a gorgeous billionaire and a celebrity in his own right with a well deserved reputation as a ladies man and is in possession of a f--k pad. Even the most well adjusted normal female without a tragic past would have some jealousy issues. I think Eva has come a long way in the first two books and getting rid of her jealousy will ultimately help Gideon enormously ...

Hi, sscrph

Thank you. It took a while for me to come up with that  LOL

Please keep me posted about Chapter 16's Gideon-Elizabeth-Cary enigmatic remarks.

Will do but I'm imagining that's a spoiler question and she won't be able to answer it. :(

My favorite part of Chapter 2 is this paragraph, bottom of page 22, that sums what has kept Eva and Gideon together -- what will keep them together in Entwined and beyond:

We were together because we were addicted to each other. I was never as intoxicated as I was when we were happy together, and I knew it was the same for him. We were putting ourselves through the wringer for those moments of perfection between us, but they were so tenuous that only our stubbornness, determination and love kept us fighting for them.

Yes this certainly sums up their unique relationship perfectly...

But I also think we have to take in account who Gideon is--he has more than the normal amount of females salivating over him ; he is a gorgeous billionaire and a celebrity in his own right with a well deserved reputation as a ladies man and is in possession of a f--k pad. Even the most well adjusted normal female without a tragic past would have some jealousy issues. I think Eva has come a long way in the first two books and getting rid of her jealousy will ultimately help Gideon enormously ...

Totally agree.

When Eva returns from lunch, she sees Gideon's care parked outside the Crossfire building.  She assumes he just returned from lunch.  How could he have returned from lunch, when he was still in his office when she was leaving for her lunch.  He must take the shortest lunches.  She only has an hour.  

My question is: why did Angus offer to take Corrine home when he was waiting to take Gideon to a meeting which he was already late for. 

My question is: why did Angus offer to take Corrine home when he was waiting to take Gideon to a meeting which he was already late for. 

Good question.  I guess I read to deeply into the whole thing.  

Favourite scene is the Crossfire lobby.

I knew to pay careful attention when Gideon got serious about s*x.

"No" I lifted my face to the tinted dome in the ceiling that concealed the nearest security camera. "To make you come. I love making you come Gideon."

He exhaled harshly." A gift, then."

Only I knew what it meant for Gideon to view a s*xual act as a gift. For him, s*x had previously been about pain and degradation or and necessity. Now, with me, it was about pleasure and love.

"Always"

"Good. Because I treasure you , Eva, and what we have even our driving urge to f*ck each other constantly is precious to me, because it matters."

At last s*x for them is how it should be, loving, fun, and an intimate closeness.

My theory is Angus, in his capacity as driver, was already told Gideon would not be going to that off-site lunch meeting -- but -- Angus as Gideon's main bodyguard (and thus a key member of Gideon's security staff) knew Nathan had re-appeared. Angus, expecting that Gideon would want to speak to him soon, decided to hang out in case Gideon wanted to cancel his afternoon schedule.

Seeing Corrine, I think Angus decided on his own to give her a ride - if Gideon called him, he could head right back.

Angus would have known Corrine well -- probably far better than Angus knew Eva. Certainly much longer than Angus knew Eva -- at that point, Angus had been driving Eva less than two weeks. Angus would have known Corrine when she was Gideon's fiancee.  Doing the math:

• Angus started working for Gideon himself (instead of the Vidals) eight years ago -- which means Gideon was 20 years old when he hired Angus away from his stepfather.
  • Gideon met Corrine when he was a college freshman, around age 18, and they were together for three years, the final year of that engaged - so he would have been around age 21 when Corrine walked away.

Upstairs when Eva confronted Gideon, Gideon claimed to be running late for a meeting. I doubt Gideon was going to the lunch meeting. He'd probably scheduled some sort of emergency security meeting. Or perhaps he was rushing to meet with Stanton. Either way, he had something much more urgent on his mind than business, as so he had no time for Eva's "over-reactions"

My theory is Angus, in his capacity as driver, was already told Gideon would not be going to that off-site lunch meeting -- but -- Angus as Gideon's main bodyguard (and thus a key member of Gideon's security staff) knew Nathan had re-appeared. Angus, expecting that Gideon would want to speak to him soon, decided to hang out in case Gideon wanted to cancel his afternoon schedule.

Seeing Corrine, I think Angus decided on his own to give her a ride - if Gideon called him, he could head right back.

Angus would have known Corrine well -- probably far better than Angus knew Eva. Certainly much longer than Angus knew Eva -- at that point, Angus had been driving Eva less than two weeks. Angus would have known Corrine when she was Gideon's fiancee.  Doing the math:

• Angus started working for Gideon himself (instead of the Vidals) eight years ago -- which means Gideon was 20 years old when he hired Angus away from his stepfather.
  • Gideon met Corrine when he was a college freshman, around age 18, and they were together for three years, the final year of that engaged - so he would have been around age 21 when Corrine walked away.

Upstairs when Eva confronted Gideon, Gideon claimed to be running late for a meeting. I doubt Gideon was going to the lunch meeting. He'd probably scheduled some sort of emergency security meeting. Or perhaps he was rushing to meet with Stanton. Either way, he had something much more urgent on his mind than business, as so he had no time for Eva's "over-reactions"

I also thought the lunch meeting was cancelled and Angus was waiting for Gideon for a later meeting or Gideon asked him to hang out probably to go talk to Stanton.