One Chapter A Day - Re-Read Of Bared and Entwined

LN Cronan

The first few minutes I've listened to on audiobook makes me aware of how blown away by New York traffic she is.

I say it because of her thing about having sex in cars.

I also say it because the very fuzzy shot we have today showing just a little bit of the very first few sentences of Entwined open with Eva sitting in traffic.

Oh and today's snapshot is of a sports car (an Aston according to our British fans here)

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi LN I think after that steamy session in the limo Eva broke Gideon of a lot of things....even though some would say he was sexually advanced emotionally he could only be described as virginal and he didn't know how to handle all these feelings it was like having sex for the first time and no wonder he was reeling and running scared as Cary suggested... I give him credit for pursuing Eva and trying to build and maintain a relationship with her because it certainly hasn't been hearts and flowers. As SD says Gideon is deeply, madly , obsessively in love with Eva and as far as rules and fetishes go they are no more...

The first few minutes I've listened to on audiobook makes me aware of how blown away by New York traffic she is.

I say it because of her thing about having sex in cars

Oh and today's snapshot is of a sports car (an Aston according to our British fans here)

Don't forget the plane. Lol

Hi everyone,
If Gideon's mother had black hair and all of the rest of his s** partners had different hair colours then how does the two issues correlate?  How would Gideon have a fetish?  Could someone please explain this point.  It doesn't make sense to me.  Thanks.

HELLO EVERYBODY!! I reread Chap. 1 of Bared last night and I loved it more than the first time because I noticed a few foretelling hints of what lies ahead for Eva. When she goes out her block of flats she says that 'the smells and sounds ... embraced me and invited me to explore', which is just what a lover would ask of her! Later on, when she's enjoying NY life in an early June afternoon, she says she's trying not to be '... wide– eyed and distracted...', but that 'There was so much to see and experience', an apt suggestion of her forthcoming reaction to Gedeon, isn't it? My favourite ones are 'NY was a brand–new love affair for me. I was starry–eyed and it showed.' because I was just like that the first time I went to London. If anything new should come to my mind, I'll let you know. CIAO!!

Ciao Gabri,

You make some good points.  Your observations were correct.  In many ways Sylvia was making a parallel connection between Eva's budding love affair with New York and her soon to be budding love affair with Gideon.  Thanks for pointing that out.

What about when Gideon popped into Eva's apartment before the advocacy dinner? I always thought her doorman phoned Gideon to tell him she had returned from the day spa or do you think Gideon was having her followed even then? And Gideon must have access to her credit card information because how would he be able to purchase her brands of cosmetics etc I have always wondered about this what do you all think?

Hi everyone,
At the end of chapter one Eva ran into Gideon in the elevator going down after her first day of work.  Was it coincidence or did Gideon orchestrate the meeting?  What does everyone think?  Thoughts?  Opinions?

I thought the same thing.  He has cameras all over the buildings.   I'm sure he was keeping eyes on her all the time.

Also, Gideon's obsession for brunettes/dark hair women will reveal Mommy Issues.  

Mrs C - you should have the book over your hubby's head while you were reading...LOL

I thought the same thing. He has cameras all over the buildings. I'm sure he was keeping eyes on her all the time.

Also, Gideon's obsession for brunettes/dark hair women will reveal Mommy Issues.

Mrs C - you should have the book over your hubby's head while you were reading...LOL

Hi Donnad,

I am howling with laughter here! Mrs. C could also come up with a creative idea or two keep up with her reading. I am sure that others in the forum may have a "helpful" suggestion or two. :)

What about when Gideon popped into Eva's apartment before the advocacy dinner? I always thought her doorman phoned Gideon to tell him she had returned from the day spa or do you think Gideon was having her followed even then? And Gideon must have access to her credit card information because how would he be able to purchase her brands of cosmetics etc I have always wondered about this what do you all think?

Hi Sscrph,

I wonder when Gideon found out about Eva.  Did he put a name with the face when he rented the apartment to her or was it after he met her in the Crossfire Building?  It seems that from the moment he laid eyes on Eva, he never let her out of his sight.  What do you think?  What does everyone think?

And how odd is the behavior of Elizabeth Vidal at the garden party to which Eva even commented on? Who asks someone they have never met before what their natural hair color is and even Ireland voiced this same observation they are all obsessed with hair color and what is the reason for this I hope SD lets us in on the secret ...I think the Vidals treat Gideon as some kind of oddity as opposed to the brilliant mega mogul estranged son that he is ...What does everyone think?

Hi Sscrph,

You make a good about how Elizabeth Vidal acted toward Eva at the garden party.  I have to say that the entire interaction between Elizabeth Vidal, Christopher Sr. and Eva was just plain weird. It is also like watching a bad episode of "Dark Shadows".  It was almost surreal.  What do you think?  What does everyone think?

Gideon was waiting for her to call.   When he sent the "drink" and a card for her to call.   She didn't realize there was a time limit.   I don' think he wanted to just show up.

Hi everyone,

At the end of chapter one Eva ran into Gideon in the elevator going down after her first day of work.  Was it coincidence or did Gideon orchestrate the meeting?  What does everyone think?  Thoughts?  Opinions?

I think Gideon would have known that she finished at 5 and hoped that leaving when he did surely they would met.

Chapter One of Bared -- The Reader's Guide

The crucial part of this chapter, obviously, is the first meeting between Eva and Gideon, in the lobby of the Crossfire. Pages 5-8. If you don't get to read anything else today on this, our Chapter One of Bared day, re-read that scene.

Characters we meet (besides Eva and Gideon, that is):

• The third major character we meet for the first time is Cary Taylor, who is Eva's best friend and her roommate.
  • Indirectly, we learn about two more very important men in Eva's life - her biological father (Victor Reyes) and her stepfather (Richard Stanton, but nearly always referred by last name only: "Stanton.")
  • Indirectly, we also learn some things about Eva's mother, who never married Eva's birth father and for whom financial security is very important.
  • Mark Garrity, Eva's boss, comes up for the first time.
  • So does Megumi (no last name given to us), the main receptionist at work and the first gal-pal Eva makes in New York
  • Parker Smith (Eva's future Krav Maga instructor) also appears for the first time, when she meets him at her gym.

Story setting stuff and some character background

• The story opens in early June. 
  • Chapter One covers two days. On day one, a Monday, she meets Gideon. On day two, Tuesday, she starts her new job
  • Eva and Cary have just moved to New York from San Diego and are still unpacking. They live on the Upper West Side in a very expensive modern apartment (paid for by Monica and Stanton).
  • Eva has never before lived in New York and she is awed
  • Eva is working an entry level position as an administrative assistant at a leading advertising agency, Waters Field & Leaman. Her boss, Mark, is a junior level account executive
  • Cary is a fashion model looking for work and his prospects are promising
  • Cary is bisexual, and he has a rough past romantically with lovers of both genders: cheaters, stalkers and emotionally/mentally unbalanced partners
  • Victor is a street-level police officer (i.e. rides cruiser) in City of Oceanside, California (that's part of the San Diego County tri-city region)
  • Stanton is a financier very rich in his own right
  • We learn that Stanton and Monica love to shower Eva (and by extension Cary) with designer things
  • We learn that Victor refused to allow Stanton to pay for Eva's college education -- and refused to allow Eva to pay the student loans off
  • We also learn that Eva refused to allow Stanton to get her a cushy job through his friends - she insisted on landing an entry level job herself
  • Cary likes to cook and loves to party. He's not a very good cook but he's fun to be with and a very sympathetic listener
  • Cary's first reaction to Gideon is Eva ought to flirt with guy. Eva is leery.
  • The chapter ends with Eva leaving her office after her first full day at work, on her way to meet Cary for after-work celebratory drinks. As she prepares to board an elevator, the lone occupant is Gideon.

I listened to the audio book today with the intention of listening to chapter one only .

But on chapter 4 before I realised I had to leave for work !!!!!!

Like you knew we'd never sick to a chapter a day !!

Evening.

This work lark is really inconvenient. Can you work and listen at same time?

Sylvia has given us reading homework, via Facebook post: "So, today is Day 1 of the BARED and REFLECTED chapter-a-day reread countdown. I'm going to ask you later to post your favorite line or paragraph from BARED Chapter One. Homework time!"

Already got mine picked out. Eva's just walked out of the Crossfire lobby after having run into Gideon for the very first time. She catches sight of her own face reflected in the tinted windows of a vehicle parked at the curb (Gideon's Bentley, co-incidentally, not that she knows it's his car. In fact, she doesn't even know who he is, other than he's very hot and obviously rich.)

I was flushed and my gray eyes were overly bright. I'd seen that look on my face before -- in the bathroom mirror just before I went to bed with a man. It was my I'm-ready-to-f*** look and it had absolutely no business being on my face now. ~ Eva, Bared to You, top of page 8.

Mine is

He was the kind of guy who made a woman want to rip his shirt open and watch the buttons scatter along with her inhibitions. I looked at him in his civilised, urban, outrageously expensive suit and thought of raw, primal, sheet-clawing f***ing. Page 6&7.

Think we deserve an A*.