One Chapter A Day - Re-Read Of Bared and Entwined

LN Cronan

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good morning, ladies in North America and good afternoon to ladies in Europe.

It's Read Along Day Two -- Chapter Two of Bared To You.

This chapter opens on day two of the story, just after 5 p.m. Tuesday in the Crossfire. It continues until Thursday evening, day four of the story, in Eva's apartment.

Key plot developments:

• For the first time, Gideon tells Eva he wants to f*** her, a proposition she finds as equally offensive as arousing (page 28).
  • Eva learns Gideon's full identity (page 30, Cary looked Gideon up online after Eva got home, because she'd learned Gideon's last name earlier Thursday in a business meeting she attended in his offices.)

Remember to pick out a favorite one-liner or paragraph from this chapter, because that's the homework Sylvia assigned. She must be having a blast today reviewing fan favorites from Chapter One.

I am having a hard time trying to pick just one line as a favorite! lol

She gave us the option to pick out a favorite paragraph instead. Because many "one-liners" would tend to be direct quotes of things characters say to one another, while whole paragraphs would tend to be descriptive passages of what's going through Eva's mind about a particular person or situation -- stuff Eva is telling us the readers as opposed to what characters are saying out loud to one another.

I'm loving this part of the group activity, picking out favorite lines or passages, because it's going to prompt me to figure out what are my absolute favorites in the entire series thus far.

Good morning, ladies in North America and good afternoon to ladies in Europe.

It's Read Along Day Two -- Chapter Two of Bared To You.

This chapter opens on day two of the story, just after 5 p.m. Tuesday in the Crossfire. It continues until Thursday evening, day four of the story, in Eva's apartment.

Key plot developments:

• For the first time, Gideon tells Eva he wants to f*** her, a proposition she finds as equally offensive as arousing (page 28).
  • Eva learns Gideon's full identity (page 30, Cary looked Gideon up online after Eva got home, because she'd learned Gideon's last name earlier Thursday in a business meeting she attended in his offices.)

Remember to pick out a favorite one-liner or paragraph from this chapter, because that's the homework Sylvia assigned. She must be having a blast today reviewing fan favorites from Chapter One.

Good morning America and good afternoon to us Europeans

I thought I would get ahead of the game, and have already posted my homework. What a suck up hey! I have nearly finished BTU, aswell as listening to the audio version which I downloaded, (yes I am loving the voices) plus reading the chapter daily!!! I'm going to know this book intimately. Wink wink! Sitting here in lunch and book, ready for discussion later.

I'm working on today's "Reader's Guide" to the chapter like I did yesterday. But I've already figured out my favorite passage in Chapter Two of Bared -- what's going through Eva's mind as she's with Gideon in an elevator, the pair of them headed down to the lobby just after 5 p.m. Note: this elevator trip started out with just the pair of them (Gideon and his elevator moves -- swoon!!!) But now there's three other people with them. Gideon took the opportunity, when the other people got on the elevator, to move over so that he's now standing right next to Eva.

He adjusted his perfectly knotted tie, his arm brushing against mine as he did so. I sucked in a deep breath, trying to ignore my acute awareness of him by concentrating on the conversation taking place in front of us. It was impossible. He was just so there. Right there. All perfect and gorgeous and smelling divine. My thoughts ran away from me, fantasizing about how hard his body might be beneath the suit, how it might feel against me, how well endowed -- or not -- he might be. ~ Eva, page 19, Bared to You.

P.S. the "or not" is funny on the audiobook, the way the narrator says it. It made me laugh out loud the first time I heard it.

I'm working on today's "Reader's Guide" to the chapter like I did yesterday. But I've already figured out my favorite passage in Chapter Two of Bared -- what's going through Eva's mind as she's with Gideon in an elevator, the pair of them headed down to the lobby just after 5 p.m. Note: this elevator trip started out with just the pair of them (Gideon and his elevator moves -- swoon!!!) But now there's three other people with them. Gideon took the opportunity, when the other people got on the elevator, to move over so that he's now standing right next to Eva.

He adjusted his perfectly knotted tie, his arm brushing against mine as he did so. I sucked in a deep breath, trying to ignore my acute awareness of him by concentrating on the conversation taking place in front of us. It was impossible. He was just so there. Right there. All perfect and gorgeous and smelling divine. My thoughts ran away from me, fantasizing about how hard his body might be beneath the suit, how it might feel against me, how well endowed -- or not -- he might be. ~ Eva, page 19, Bared to You.

P.S. the "or not" is funny on the audiobook, the way the narrator says it. It made me laugh out loud the first time I heard it.

The audio books take it to a whole new level, this is the first time I have done this. Listening while out walking the dog. When it gets sexy, I'm sure I have a big grin on my face. Oh, if only people knew what I was listening to when they pass me. Lol

Can We Just Stick To Chapter One..? Please we are all over the place..! :)

We can't seem to restrain ourselves any more than Gideon can restrain himself around Eva. We are all over the place and jumping ahead of ourselves.

But yes, the proper thing to be doing today would be to:

1. Make comments about (and especially posting favorite parts of) Chapter One. That was our homework assignment yesterday.
  2. Be reading Chapter Two today.

Back on page three of this particular thread, last evening (well, evening Eastern U.S. time zone) I posted a "Reader's Guide" to Chapter One as an immediate tool for anyone who wasn't able to finish (or even start) the chapter yesterday. My goal is to try to do the same each day, because practically all of us will have days we're too busy in our lives to do that particular day's assignment and homework.

Plus I'm going to save copies of all of those Reader's Guide so that I can maintain -- for my own pleasure and to spark discussions here -- a master timeline of Eva's life since Gideon entered it.

Gedeon has divided women into two categories, those he dates and those he has sex with. Mummy issues might be the case with him as he seems to consider brunettes as more socially accepted and worth having a date with because of their resemblance with his mother. On the other hand, he has a sexual relationship with a blonde, a brunette, a red-head... so his choices are not colour-related. I believe that's why he's at a loss when Eva asks him why her, because his only concern is which cathegory you may fall into.

The problem with Gedeon is that Eva wants to belong to both cathegories, and has to make concessions to that!

Gedeon has divided women into two categories, those he dates and those he has sex with. Mummy issues might be the case with him as he seems to consider brunettes as more socially accepted and worth having a date with because of their resemblance with his mother. On the other hand, he has a sexual relationship with a blonde, a brunette, a red-head... so his choices are not colour-related. I believe that's why he's at a loss when Eva asks him why her, because his only concern is which cathegory you may fall into.

The problem with Gedeon is that Eva wants to belong to both cathegories, and has to make concessions to that!

The biggest spoiler question I've always had for Sylvia has been "does this brunette dating fetish extend to the bedroom?" (Or in Gideon's case, to the f*** pad hotel room.)

When it comes to Eva, Gideon has broken every rule we know about, starting with the rule he doesn't f*** women he dates nor date women he f***.

Was that the very first rule of his he broke -- to both date and sleep with Eva? Or, was that the second rule he broke -- the real first rule of his he broke was to find himself sexually attracted to a non-brunette?

He was never sexually attracted to the redheaded Anne Lucas. Gideon's only attraction there was stone-cold malice to get revenge against Anne's husband, one of Gideon's bitter enemies. 

He made love to the blonde Eva because he fell head over heels in love with her, body and soul.

He coldly sexually used the redheaded Anne Lucas for revenge.

He slept with the brunette Corrine because she seduced him, the first woman to successfully do that, in a relationship he admitted a decade later had been only about sex.

• Would Corrine have gotten Gideon into bed if Corrine had been a blonde or a redhead?
  • Or would Gideon have felt no desire for her at all if Corrine had been anything else but a woman who resembled his mother in certain ways, including physically to an extent (similar coloring)?
  • Would Gideon have continued to "beat off with a stick" (so to speak) every woman wanting to jump his hot young bones because he did not yet have the courage (given his past) to go to bed with a woman?
  • Would he have kept that sexual wall up until at last some other beautiful blue-eyed brunette from his own social class actively pursued him -- and when that woman did, he'd finally risk going to bed with a woman for the first time?

We can't seem to restrain ourselves any more than Gideon can restrain himself around Eva. We are all over the place and jumping ahead of ourselves.

But yes, the proper thing to be doing today would be to:

• Make comments about (and especially posting favorite parts of) Chapter One. That was our homework assignment yesterday.
  • Be reading Chapter Two today.

Back on page three of this particular thread, last evening (well, evening Eastern U.S. time zone) I posted a "Reader's Guide" to Chapter One as an immediate tool for anyone who wasn't able to finish (or even start) the chapter yesterday. My goal is to try to do the same each day, because practically all of us will have days we're too busy in our lives to do that particular day's assignment and homework.

Plus I'm going to save copies of all of those Reader's Guide so that I can maintain -- for my own pleasure and to spark discussions here -- a master timeline of Eva's life since Gideon entered it.

I see..!! Well I'm following you cause I can't keep up..!!! My email is in overload..! Sticking to chapter 2 today..!

Can We Just Stick To Chapter One..? Please we are all over the place..! :)

Mrs. C, I know, I know -- we're jumping ahead on the hair color thing by talking about Elizabeth Vidal, Corrine, and Anne Lucas. But the B-word (brunette) first surfaces in Chapter One, on page 5 the instant before Eva meets Gideon. :) :)

So when our heroine first lays eyes on the mysterious hero, she's up against some " ... svelte beautifully groomed brunette ...." all gaga and trying her hardest to (unsuccessfully) capture the attention of a man that brunette obviously knew was the famous Gideon Cross, known as a gentleman who preferred brunettes.

So in a way, we're talking about Chapter One, because what would later become a very serious insecurity issue for Eva (brunettes) surfaced as a tiny red flag in Chapter One. Eva later became convinced Corrine forever has held some sort of strong sexual hold over Gideon, even all these years later. The "proof" in Eva's eyes was the whole Gideon-brunette hang up history.

When Eva finally brought up the brunette subject to Gideon (after Eva met Corrine), he admitted he wasn't sure himself whether all those years before, he'd been unconsciously seeking out brunettes only. An honest answer on Gideon's part, but all the more unsettling for Eva -- because what if it was right that Corrine was the reason Gideon went for brunettes only?

This chapter is the first time that we get to see a glimpse of Eva's troubled (putting it mildly ) life. Referring to it as a wild, rebellious and self-destructive phase.

The character of Dr. Travis first surfaces near the very end of Chapter Two, when Cary is hashing out with Eva whether Eva should get involved with this new hottie (Gideon) who is "hot, rich and wants to jump her bones." Cary reminds Eva that her shrink suggested she take calculated risks. It's our first red flag that Eva has a complicated past when it comes to men.

From SD Twitter and Facebook Yesterday

So, today is Day 1 of the BARED and REFLECTED chapter-a-day reread countdown. I'm going to ask you later to post your favorite line or paragraph from BARED Chapter One. Homework time!

Oh ok..! I thought we quoting best lines and taking notes as SD asked.. But hey let's just keep it going.!!

We are -- but we're also going for extra credit here.

How can we not carefully re-read Crossfire and not start going crazy about where many things that first come up as little tidbits in early chapters lead to big things later in the story. Sylvia has come up with an excellent way to get us to re-examine where everything thus far has led -- because she's about to wow us with where things lead next. It could be the littlest things that lead to the biggest plot twists.

For example, how could any of us have known ahead of time that an in-passing-mention of a Dr. Travis in Chapter Two was going to be the first step down a road where we discovered that Eva and Gideon (and Cary too) have very serious mental health histories of severe trauma, and one of the devastating consequences of that is every single one of them have (among other things) real problems when it comes to intimate relationships.

I believe Gedeon is making a point with the brunettes: by hanging about with them but not allowing them to his bed he is maybe using them in a sort of misplaced revenge on his mother.

I'm gonna lose my job..!! I keep stoping and listening to BTY on audible..!! My boss is gonna kill me..!! Lol

You ladies are addictive, I DIDN'T won't to do this again..!! **Shrug** I guess Gideon will do that to you..!!

This chapter is the first time that we get to see a glimpse of Eva's troubled (putting it mildly ) life. Referring to it as a wild, rebellious and self-destructive phase.

This quote was from Eva's first meeting with Steven, when she stayed late at work, and they ate Chinese.

Steven said, he wanted to take her to lunch with his crew, beating on how much food Eva could put away. He said "I knew you had a bit of a wild streak. It's in your smile" page 23.