Ideas on how to set up spoiler threads for Entwined starting June 4?

We've got a very lively international crew here. Alas, not every one of us will be able to get our hands on Entwined the same day, because the June 4 release date in the United States is not worldwide.

Thus I'm throwing out for discussion/ideas with everyone, but most especially for readers outside the United States, ways to handle spoiler threads in early June. Some U.S. readers very active in this forum will have finished reading the novel before other active members, such as those in the U.K., have even had a chance to get their hands on the book itself yet.

Thoughts on how to balance things so that fans who have already finished can discuss while others still reading, or even still waiting for delivery, can take part without having the ending ruined for them?

Group effort on how to structure different threads instead of throwing stuff into one huge Entwined thread?

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I participate on fan sites for some of my favorite TV shows.  We usually title the sections spoiler and non-spoiler discussions.  Personally I love spoilers because I will watch/read anyway to get my personal take on what's happening and form my opinions.  We are very careful to not put spoiler info in the no-spoiler section for anyone who wants to be surprised. 

Well if we are going to be fair lets not make a spoiler alert till June 7 that way everybody has had a chance to read it.! I know it's a 3 day difference and we all are just going to flood this site but let's give the others a chance to read it..'

???? What does everyone think..!!?????

I think you Americans should not be able to read your books till the 6th June like us poor Brits. ;)

Only kidding. :)

I'm downloading on the 4th, book won't be here till 7th or 8th. Amazons prediction. :(

I will go with the majority.

I will play catch up with posts when I finished.

You ladies are awesome. Thank you :)

I think you Americans should not be able to read your books till the 6th June like us poor Brits. ;)

Only kidding. :)

I'm downloading on the 4th, book won't be here till 7th or 8th. Amazons prediction. :(

I will go with the majority.

I will play catch up with posts when I finished.

You ladies are awesome. Thank you :)

How can you stay away from spoilers?  I would have to ask... What are they talking about in the second half of chapter 2?    Do they run into Corinne in chapter 3? etc. etc.  Every time I say I'm not going to read spoilers I start looking for them.  I can't help myself.

Though I've participated in other book discussion threads, I haven't yet participated in a real-time spoiler situation involving a new book (i.e. starting to discuss a book while others in a group are still in the process of reading.)

Thus I'm willing to sit on my hands if necessary until June 7, lest I spoil anyone's surprise. But I know others here have more experience in discussion threads about books (and/or TV and films) who have seen different ways of handling spoiler material.

I'm hoping collectively we can try to plan ahead, now that June is almost here.

OMG, June is almost here -- it's really almost June. SQUEEEE!

How can you stay away from spoilers?  I would have to ask... What are they talking about in the second half of chapter 2?    Do they run into Corinne in chapter 3? etc. etc.  Every time I say I'm not going to read spoilers I start looking for them.  I can't help myself.

Most of the time I don't look for spoilers at all. But then, there are times when I just can't help myself, and I want to know. I say I won't look, and then I sometimes will just catch myself looking anyway haha. 

Though I've participated in other book discussion threads, I haven't yet participated in a real-time spoiler situation involving a new book (i.e. starting to discuss a book while others in a group are still in the process of reading.)

Thus I'm willing to sit on my hands if necessary until June 7, lest I spoil anyone's surprise. But I know others here have more experience in discussion threads about books (and/or TV and films) who have seen different ways of handling spoiler material.

I'm hoping collectively we can try to plan ahead, now that June is almost here.

OMG, June is almost here -- it's really almost June. SQUEEEE!

I can feel your excitement :)

2 weeks and counting

I intend having a late night to get the book read, on my daughters kindle. Booked a weeks vacation :)

When I get my paperback I will devour it slowly. :)

I've got a paper copy reserved at a great indie bookstore near my apartment. Plus I'll be downloading the audiobook from audible.com.

In case of emergency -- i.e. the book shipment arrives late -- I have my Kindle at the ready to download. I've never yet had a problem with my bookstore getting something late, but I'm not leaving anything to chance.

I'm a natural speed reader, so I expect to have my first read-through done in about 3 1/2 hours. Then I'll spend more time re-reading to savor it all over again and to dive back into Bared and Reflected as well, to connect some dots.

Plus the audiobook runs a little over 11 hours, so I can spread that out over days.

SQUEEEEE!!!!

I've got a paper copy reserved at a great indie bookstore near my apartment. Plus I'll be downloading the audiobook from audible.com.

In case of emergency -- i.e. the book shipment arrives late -- I have my Kindle at the ready to download. I've never yet had a problem with my bookstore getting something late, but I'm not leaving anything to chance.

I'm a natural speed reader, so I expect to have my first read-through done in about 3 1/2 hours. Then I'll spend more time re-reading to savor it all over again and to dive back into Bared and Reflected as well, to connect some dots.

Plus the audiobook runs a little over 11 hours, so I can spread that out over days.

SQUEEEEE!!!!

lol'

SQUEEEEE!!!!

I wish I was as prepared as you :) 

I have my pre-ordered placed as I know I will never have a chance of getting to the bookstore to get my hands on an actual copy. 

I do know that the minute I have it, it won't take me very long to get through it. 

I'm so excited, I can hardly stand the wait anymore!! 

Well if we are going to be fair lets not make a spoiler alert till June 7 that way everybody has had a chance to read it.! I know it's a 3 day difference and we all are just going to flood this site but let's give the others a chance to read it..'

???? What does everyone think..!!?????

I can wait till the 7th to post my thoughts. I wouldn't want to spoil it for anybody.

In case of emergency -- i.e. the book shipment arrives late -- I have my Kindle at the ready to download. I've never yet had a problem with my bookstore getting something late, but I'm not leaving anything to chance.

SQUEEEEE!!!!

I think we have all bases covered. Lol

3 1/2 hours, wow! Speedy. Lol

I think I'm going to be cross eyed in the early hours of 5th June. :)

I'm flexible ...

If someone with experience juggling spoiler/non-spoiler threads in real time, like Sharonm, wants to take a lead, I'm good to go into those whenever, as long as I know how they work so that I don't inadvertently spoil something for other fans here. Like I said, I've never participated in a situation where a book is literally hot off the press.

I'm just as willing to go radio silent from June 4-7, holding off on starting to post anything until all of the fans here, most especially the regulars here, all have had their shot to read the book first.

We'll get 'er figured out between now and that magic first week of June.

I'll play by any rules everyone agrees on.   I'm just wondering what happens when we get to a point when we realize things aren't going as we hoped?  Can we jump on and just cry without saying anything?

You can PM someone Sharon. :)

I'm sure I will be part of a spoiler thread on the book blog that I follow, so you could always come there to vent.

We've got a very lively international crew here. Alas, not every one of us will be able to get our hands on Entwined the same day, because the June 4 release date in the United States is not worldwide.

Thus I'm throwing out for discussion/ideas with everyone, but most especially for readers outside the United States, ways to handle spoiler threads in early June. Some U.S. readers very active in this forum will have finished reading the novel before other active members, such as those in the U.K., have even had a chance to get their hands on the book itself yet.

Thoughts on how to balance things so that fans who have already finished can discuss while others still reading, or even still waiting for delivery, can take part without having the ending ruined for them?

Group effort on how to structure different threads instead of throwing stuff into one huge Entwined thread?

We're lively heh!

1 Brit , 2 Scots, 1 South African, and 1 Italian.

Lol. Wot a bunch we are. :)

I think 7th June sounds good.

Will be difficult not to go on to the forum !!

And say didn't see that coming or that's exactly what so and so said that would happen or I said that's what would happen !

But only fair to the slower readers .

Thankfully although I live in the UK I won't be waiting until the 6th .

I'm pre ordered on audible and the book will be getting downloaded for IBooks on the 4th !

I think its great that we are all agreeing to wait until June 7th so everyone can dive in and discuss together!!

I reserved a copy from an indie bookstore in upstate florida (those dont exist down here in miami ._.) so I would have to wait to get the physical copy but I'm still going to download it on my iPad. 

Its going to be surreal when I finally get the physical book! Im gonna take a picture of myself with it as evidence that I finally have it! lol

I cant wait to discuss every single sentence with everyone!