Penguin Publishing Picture Posts

Kirsten

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe it's the other way around, maybe it's about Brett's feelings towards Eva. Since he's going to be pursuing her in EWY I think that's what the question is referring to.

Yeah maybe. Although how does he love Eva? Does he really know her? Maybe he feels like he does.

Maybe it's the other way around, maybe it's about Brett's feelings towards Eva. Since he's going to be pursuing her in EWY I think that's what the question is referring to.

That's kind of what I was thinking might happen too, and I swore I wasn't going to look at them anymore.

Yeah maybe. Although how does he love Eva? Does he really know her? Maybe he feels like he does.

But as Gideon said, he wrote a love song about her. Also she had such low self esteem she probably didn't realize he was falling for her because she thinks he is only with her for the sex...

But as Gideon said, he wrote a love song about her. Also she had such low self esteem she probably didn't realize he was falling for her because she thinks he is only with her for the sex...

Maybe Brett is going to be more of a problem than Corinne...

I really don't want Brett to be as big an issue as it appears he is going to be.  I really hope he isn't going to team up with Cary to try and get Eva back.  To me, that seems like a betrayal of a friend.  If I'm interpreting this correctly there are 4 pictures that potentially point to Brett.  He could be a theme through 1/3 of the book.  It's making me crazy. 

I think you could be right. This book is not just about Gideon and Eva. Sylvia said the other characters had to sort their lives out too.

Could this be about Brett holding a torch for Eva? He said he never forgot about her, hoping she old turn up at one of his concerts. There's the "Golden" song, and something is going to happen in Times Square. Just a thought, Sharon said its followed by a hospital pic. Could he overdose after being rejected by Eva? :(

That is what I thought as well, maybe it is Brett sharing his feelings about Eva via Golden in the hopes to get her back 

Though it's becoming apparent Brett is going to be an important part of Entwined, I think this doesn't mean he has to appear in a lot of scenes with Eva -- in other words, Brett having (or trying to have) frequent contact with Eva. I think it's the idea of Brett inside Gideon's head that's going to be major, just like the idea of Corrine in Eva's head was major in Reflected.

I think it's possible Brett is going to "rent space" in Gideon's head. A lot of it. And thus when Gideon and Eva are alone together, they'll be dealing with (among other things) Gideon's insecurities -- hopefully dealing with them positively by communicating.

In his own way, Gideon now is every bit as much freaked out over Brett as Eva used to be over Corrine. Maybe Gideon is even more freaked out. Because actually, Gideon has more reason to be. Why?

Gideon never had been hot for Corrine, not all those years ago and most certainly not now.

BUT ....

Eva definitely had been seriously hot for Brett years ago, and a part of her most certainly is still hot for him now.

Eva used to act out when freaked out about Corrine chasing Gideon - Eva's old dysfunctional wound-and-run pattern.

How's Gideon going to handle his own freaking out over Brett chasing Eva? Hopefully by learning how to cope -- how to grow stronger.

In that interview with Sylvia that Amazon ran last week, among the things she said was this:

(Eva's) big issues had been insecurities, concerns about other people and other women particularly in Gideon’s life. It’s hard to have those sorts of fears and self-doubt after somebody makes a huge sacrifice, like Gideon did for her. So she’s in a much more stable place as far as her comfort level with the relationship and being able to accept the depth of his commitment to her. Gideon, however--what he’s done, there’s a lot of ramifications. Not just externally, but internally. So as she grows stronger, he’s actually struggling with more.

I think this means more than just the ramifications of having killed Nathan. What Gideon had done with Corrine -- from underestimating just how much Corrine's re-appearance triggered Eva to the fact Eva actually believed the lie Gideon went back to Corrine -- all had serious ramifications about Brett. Brett became a serious problem because of Gideon's past actions. Now Gideon is still struggling with the ramifications. 

Past ramifications of Gideon's mishandling of the Corrine situation, which led to Brett becoming a real problem, came in this order: 

• With good reason, Eva got mad at him and fought with him in front of witnesses the night she met Corrine.
  • Gideon unknowingly handing Corrine psychological weapons against Eva directly led to the nooner stunt. The consequence of that was Eva quit trusting Gideon 100%.
  • The Corrine insecurities consuming Eva from the inside were directly responsible for her kissing Brett back
  • Gideon taking Corrine to dinner was directly responsible for Eva striking back by taking Brett to lunch
  • Gideon taking Corrine to that party broke Eva's heart. It was the final straw that made Eva break up with Gideon
  • Gideon acting like he and Corrine are back together is directly responsible for everyone believing he and Eva are over forever. Even the people closest to Eva believe it's OHVER.
  • Eva kissing Brett and taking him to lunch are directly responsible for Brett telling an interviewer he and Eva have "reconnected" and he (Brett) wants another shot.
  • That interview prompted Gideon to do something very dangerous -- approach Eva in front of other people, actions the cops potentially could now use as evidence.

Current possible ramifications as Entwined opens

• Deanna Johnson knows about Brett, so other journalists must know too. There's bound to be stories coming out soon, including the story about the fight after the concert. There were too many witnesses to keep that secret.

• Brett believes he has a clear shot at Eva, and so thus far he doesn't believe what she told him -- that there is no chance of them getting back together. He's going to actively pursue Eva -- and thus the media frenzy will be fed even more.
  • Gideon cannot publicly "claim" Eva as his. He used to go out of his way to do that -- going as far as staging that passionate-kiss-on-the-sidewalk photo. Now Gideon is powerless, something that'd drive Mr. Control Freak up the wall.

In the re-read a chapter a day project, especially Reflected chapters 7 (day before yesterday) and chapter 9 (today) I've picked up on new things that make me see Cary As Possible Captain Of Team Brett in a whole new light -- and not in a negative one, either, for Cary. Cary may think he's trying to do what's best for  Eva -- because Cary has concluded Gideon is very bad for Eva's emotional recovery in life, and because Cary mistakenly thinks Brett is the solution to Eva's broken heart.

Timeline:

1. Early Tuesday morning: Gideon telephoned Cary to check on Eva. Sometime in the wee hours of the morning, Gideon had attacked Eva in his sleep for the second time. Cary saw the first incident, because Eva's screaming woke him up. He slept through the second. When Cary found Eva, he could see she was in a rough place. Already uneasy about the first attack, the second attack made Cary tell Eva point blank to break up with Gideon.
  2. Sometime Tuesday morning: Gideon had spoken to Cary a total of three times (we learn from Eva) but we don't know what they said. Because Gideon wouldn't dare talk to Eva himself -- he texted her instead.
  3. Tuesday evening: All day via text, Eva had tried to get Gideon to agree to see her Tuesday night, but Gideon wouldn't agree. But after his therapy appointment with Dr. Petersen, Gideon decided to go straight to Eva. She wasn't home when he showed up, but Cary was -- and Cary told Gideon to go to h*** .
  4. Also Tuesday evening: Eva had actually been waiting for Gideon at his own apartment while Gideon had gone looking for him. She and Cary spoke briefly on the phone, and again Cary advocated ending the relationship -- and suggested Eva contact her old therapist. Gideon took the phone out of Eva's hand, said "Good-bye Cary," and ended the call.
  5. Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday night: Eva stayed over at Gideon's and the pair of them worked on her decision to fight for the relationship and his decision to stay in it.
  6. Friday lunchtime: for the first time since Tuesday, Cary saw Eva as the two of them went out to lunch. That's when Cary found out Eva (and Gideon) were seeing Brett's band, Six Ninths, that night -- and also figured out Eva had no clue (because the band had changed its name) Eva knew it was Brett's band. Cary avoided telling Eva this -- but -- Cary brought up the subject of Brett, asking Eva whether she ever thought about Brett and telling Eva he thought Brett was a decent guy.

At that Friday lunch, Cary did not go near the subject of Eva still being together with Gideon - instead they talked about Cary's ongoing problems with Trey. But I see now that Cary "neglecting" to warn Eva about Brett's band appeared to have been more than mischief. It was Cary hoping that Brett might turn out to be a solution to Eva's ongoing problems with Gideon.

Fast forward to where things went from there to the opening of Entwined:

1. Cary found out about Gideon going postal over Eva kissing Brett
  2. From his hospital bed and later from home, Cary watched Eva come apart that week over Gideon taking Corrine out again.
  3. Cary saw with his own eyes how Gideon behaved Friday night at the family dinner Eva hosted.
  4. After Eva finally did dump Gideon, on Saturday, Cary nursed her through more than a week of her going through the motions of life, a week in which Gideon stayed completely away from Eva. Cary saw the first signs of her coming back to life one week after the break-up.
  5. Then Gideon contacted Eva to give her back her promise ring. Eva came home from work that evening feeling more confused than ever.
  6. That's when Cary told Eva he'd read about an interview Brett gave the day before, about Brett wanting Eva back.
  7. "So you've got your rebound man lined up if Cross doesn't get his s*** together," Cary said.

Looking at this from Cary's possible point of view, I can perceive this, how he might want to push Brett thinking he was doing the right thing for Eva (and keep in mind that Cary's not exactly the picture of functional when it comes to relationships):

• Cross won't get his s*** together -- he'll just go through the lather-rinse-repeat cycle of hurting her all over again.
  • Eva started healing after she dumped Cross and he left her alone.
  • Now he's bugging her again. He doesn't want her -- but he doesn't want anyone else (like Brett) having her either.
  • Brett definitely wants Eva back. He's a nice guy -- but for the sleeping around part, but who am I to fault him there.
  • I think Eva does want Brett, even if she won't admit it to herself.
  • I'd rather see her with Brett than back with Cross any day.

Though it's becoming apparent Brett is going to be an important part of Entwined, I think this doesn't mean he has to appear in a lot of scenes with Eva -- in other words, Brett having (or trying to have) frequent contact with Eva. I think it's the idea of Brett inside Gideon's head that's going to be major, just like the idea of Corrine in Eva's head was major in Reflected.

I think it's possible Brett is going to "rent space" in Gideon's head. A lot of it. And thus when Gideon and Eva are alone together, they'll be dealing with (among other things) Gideon's insecurities -- hopefully dealing with them positively by communicating.

In his own way, Gideon now is every bit as much freaked out over Brett as Eva used to be over Corrine. Maybe Gideon is even more freaked out. Because actually, Gideon has more reason to be. Why?

Gideon never had been hot for Corrine, not all those years ago and most certainly not now.

BUT ....

Eva definitely had been seriously hot for Brett years ago, and a part of her most certainly is still hot for him now.

Eva used to act out when freaked out about Corrine chasing Gideon - Eva's old dysfunctional wound-and-run pattern.

How's Gideon going to handle his own freaking out over Brett chasing Eva? Hopefully by learning how to cope -- how to grow stronger.

In that interview with Sylvia that Amazon ran last week, among the things she said was this:

(Eva's) big issues had been insecurities, concerns about other people and other women particularly in Gideon’s life. It’s hard to have those sorts of fears and self-doubt after somebody makes a huge sacrifice, like Gideon did for her. So she’s in a much more stable place as far as her comfort level with the relationship and being able to accept the depth of his commitment to her. Gideon, however--what he’s done, there’s a lot of ramifications. Not just externally, but internally. So as she grows stronger, he’s actually struggling with more.

I think this means more than just the ramifications of having killed Nathan. What Gideon had done with Corrine -- from underestimating just how much Corrine's re-appearance triggered Eva to the fact Eva actually believed the lie Gideon went back to Corrine -- all had serious ramifications about Brett. Brett became a serious problem because of Gideon's past actions. Now Gideon is still struggling with the ramifications. 

Past ramifications of Gideon's mishandling of the Corrine situation, which led to Brett becoming a real problem, came in this order: 

• With good reason, Eva got mad at him and fought with him in front of witnesses the night she met Corrine.
  • Gideon unknowingly handing Corrine psychological weapons against Eva directly led to the nooner stunt. The consequence of that was Eva quit trusting Gideon 100%.
  • The Corrine insecurities consuming Eva from the inside were directly responsible for her kissing Brett back
  • Gideon taking Corrine to dinner was directly responsible for Eva striking back by taking Brett to lunch
  • Gideon taking Corrine to that party broke Eva's heart. It was the final straw that made Eva break up with Gideon
  • Gideon acting like he and Corrine are back together is directly responsible for everyone believing he and Eva are over forever. Even the people closest to Eva believe it's OHVER.
  • Eva kissing Brett and taking him to lunch are directly responsible for Brett telling an interviewer he and Eva have "reconnected" and he (Brett) wants another shot.
  • That interview prompted Gideon to do something very dangerous -- approach Eva in front of other people, actions the cops potentially could now use as evidence.

• Deanna Johnson knows about Brett, so other journalists must know too. There's bound to be stories coming out soon, including the story about the fight after the concert. There were too many witnesses to keep that secret.

• Brett believes he has a clear shot at Eva, and so thus far he doesn't believe what she told him -- that there is no chance of them getting back together. He's going to actively pursue Eva -- and thus the media frenzy will be fed even more.
  • Gideon cannot publicly "claim" Eva as his. He used to go out of his way to do that -- going as far as staging that passionate-kiss-on-the-sidewalk photo. Now Gideon is powerless, something that'd drive Mr. Control Freak up the wall.

BUT ....

You always have the best theories!!! I think that you are right on the money:)

I think you could be right. This book is not just about Gideon and Eva. Sylvia said the other characters had to sort their lives out too.

Could this be about Brett holding a torch for Eva? He said he never forgot about her, hoping she old turn up at one of his concerts. There's the "Golden" song, and something is going to happen in Times Square. Just a thought, Sharon said its followed by a hospital pic. Could he overdose after being rejected by Eva? :(

I know Andie has a theory about the countdown pictures aligning with the book but remember that's not set in stone so I wouldn't take the order of the pictures into so much consideration. Hey maybe after a Brett scene a hospital scene does follow(maybe Gideon kicked his a** again lol) or maybe it doesn't idk. I just know that for my sanity I'm not giving the order of the pictures much weight.

BUT ....

Well lady. Your brain matter woke up refreshed this morning.

I don't think Gideon will relax with his insecurities, until Eva says "I do". He needs that level of commitment I think, to put him in a better place. Eva telling him, she loves him won't be enough.

It will drive him insane knowing, Brett or someone else could tempt Eva. Poor guy is going to have it rough-no pun intended-over the next couple of weeks! Starting in 12 days time :)

Well lady. Your brain matter woke up refreshed this morning.

I don't think Gideon will relax with his insecurities, until Eva says "I do". He needs that level of commitment I think, to put him in a better place. Eva telling him, she loves him won't be enough.

It will drive him insane knowing, Brett or someone else could tempt Eva. Poor guy is going to have it rough-no pun intended-over the next couple of weeks! Starting in 12 days time :)

In the end, though, it will be good for Gideon to go through the pain of dealing with the Brett insecurities. Because by her actions, Eva will prove she's not going to go back to Brett. The only way Gideon is going to learn how to trust Eva is to be put into a position where he's forced to do so.

During their North Carolina weekend, Gideon told Eva that in a way, him seeing her kissing Brett had been a good thing -- good in that it finally opened up his eyes to just how much pain she'd been in and how much of a threat to the stability of their relationship the whole Corrine insecurity/jealousy problem actually was. Before that point, Gideon had underestimated the whole crisis - he simply thought Eva just wasn't handling things well.