Books as good as the Crossfire series

Hi GiGi

Yes I do compare. Especially if I am left feeling deflated at the end or there is an aspect of the story that I think if not included/went in a different direction could have made for a much stronger storyline. Then I think back to stories that I love and know it is in a different league.

At present I have only found a few authors that match up to the fluid and thoughtful style of SD. Some come close, but aspects of their story make me turn away. I like drama in a romance, but at times there is only so much a couple can take or a person can forgive.

I am finding as the genre has become really popular there are some book sellers promoting books as being rated no1 or better than... And then when I read them I can see there is a very big difference between them and the ones I love.

I hope this makes sense.

Hi Lulu,

I read your posting and it makes complete sense to me. I was thinking about this whole Fifty Shades of Grey and Crossfire comparison thing that has been bantered about and yes, I can see the similarities but the writing styles are completely different.

The books have two different themes as well; the Fifty Shades books had a very strong BDSM component whereas the Crossfire Series had really strong, graphic se* scenes and focused a lot more on the character development and dialogue with said characters.

I sometimes think that we are comparing apples and oranges. Do you know what I mean? Do I make sense?

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi GiGi,

Yes I have. I read FSOG first and thought to myself, this is good (not great because of the inner goddess repeats) but when I went looking for new books to read, I found Sylvia Day and have been comparing her books to any of the new authors I have found. I are currently following about 8 authors that I prefer to read. Sylvia Day is my top choice. Nothing so far can top the Crossfire Series.

Of course that is just my personal opinion. I think everyone has their own style of reading whether it be the same type of reading or multiple choice like historical, paranormal, fantasy etc.

Hi Stelladeer,

You are absolutely correct! Everyone has their own writing style and it really is a matter preference as to whether someone will like said writing. I agree again; Sylvia Day is a very talented and effective writer. She has a great ability to twist and weave a storyline that often leaves the reader wanting more...lots more! :)

I don't compare writers too much unless the story is so similar that I can replace the names with my favs.  I like different genres and I love books that hook me from the beginning and won't let me put the book down until I get to the end.  There are many writers who do that for me and I buy everything they write.  I am relatively new to Sylvia's books but she is on that list now.  It is good to have a number of favorites because every month there is at least 2 or 3 books that I must read.  There are books that I read and think that was good but it wasn't as good as so and so.  Also, there are some writers that I'll read if I stumble across one of there books but there are others that I go online regularly to see when a new book will be released. 

Hi Sharon,

I read your posting and everything that you said makes sense. If I like a writer as well, I will also buy everything that they write, just to see a different perspective from that author.

Iam currently reading one of your suggestions; "Hot In Handcuffs" and to my understanding this book is a series of three novellas by three different authors. I didn't happen to see any collaboration between the authors other than by being published together.

I also noticed that these novellas were part or based on previous works. I think Shayla Black's story is the continuation of her book before which is "Strip Search". It was a second in the series. Her first book was "Bound & Determined". I think that the author hadn't quite wrapped up the storylines for all of the characters and wrote a novella to tie lose ends together. There was enough material for a novella but not an entire book.

I also noticed that Sylvia Day's "On Fire" is part of the Shadow Stalkers Mini-Series. It would be really interesting to see the first part of the series, but then again, because I am new to the genre, I wonder if it really matters to have the background information. What do you think?

Hi Ladies

On Dublin Street. Has been mentioned a few times. I bought it and loved it.

A Scottish Gideon and a damaged young woman. Re read it a few times.

Just ordered. Janes Melody. Will let you know what I think, but reviews love it.

Hi Julie,

Is Jane's Melody part of the series? I wanted to add it to the Master list. If not, could you let me know who the author is so I can place the title on the Master List of books & authors for everyone to have. Thanks in advance.

Possibly GiGi, but finally finished Down London Road and it actually surprised me, even my hubby made a remark at the fact that I have been silent for the last two days reading so it must be a good book, it did get better and there was a lot of emotion in it and I did cry at parts so it was good, not as good as Gideon and Eva but Cam and Jo had their up's and downs and problems as well.

I have now downloaded Down Dublin Street by Samantha Young which I believe is just as good and many of the ladies on here have read that also and liked it so will let you know what I think on that book, may not get through it in 2 days as on the end of day 2 of my vacation week and hubby off from Wednesday through to Sunday so may have to leave book for a while so we can go out, well if we get the sun back again that is, at the moment the sun is only coming out at the evening.  Oh well still nice being off work for a few days :)

Have you read any of these books GiGi, if not you should I am sure you would like them 

Hi Sheens,

I haven't read either book yet. Right now I am reading the Hot in Handcuff Series of Novellas by Sylvia Day, Shayla Black and Shiloh Walker. I have just gotten to Sylvia's novella and notice that there are others in the series. I am wondering if I should track them down first before I start reading her latest installment in the series.

I asked a question earlier and I will ask it again; does it matter which installment of a series a person reads first? Will it affect the understanding of the reading material or does each novella basically stand on its own with threads that link one book to another? What does everyone think?

P.S. I hope you enjoy your vacation. :)

Hi Gabri,

I salute your characters! They make me smile! :)

Hi GiGi  :)

what does '&nbsp' stand for?

Hi Sharon,

I read your posting and everything that you said makes sense. If I like a writer as well, I will also buy everything that they write, just to see a different perspective from that author.

Iam currently reading one of your suggestions; "Hot In Handcuffs" and to my understanding this book is a series of three novellas by three different authors. I didn't happen to see any collaboration between the authors other than by being published together.

I also noticed that these novellas were part or based on previous works. I think Shayla Black's story is the continuation of her book before which is "Strip Search". It was a second in the series. Her first book was "Bound & Determined". I think that the author hadn't quite wrapped up the storylines for all of the characters and wrote a novella to tie lose ends together. There was enough material for a novella but not an entire book.

I also noticed that Sylvia Day's "On Fire" is part of the Shadow Stalkers Mini-Series. It would be really interesting to see the first part of the series, but then again, because I am new to the genre, I wonder if it really matters to have the background information. What do you think?

Hi Gigi,

I haven't started reading this one yet.  I got it at BookBash a couple weekends ago.  When I picked it up I thought it was a collaboration between Sylvia & Shayla I didn't even realize there was another author.  When I talked to Shayla she told me the story stands on its own but there will be some secondary characters that will appear from previous writings.  It doesn't sound like you need to read any of the other books for these stories to make sense.  I will start reading this weekend. 

From talking to the other women at the signing I think Shayla gets heavy into BDSM and her Wicked series is very popular.   I bought the first one as she recommended to me.  I'll make the decision to read more when I finish. 

Sharon

Hi GiGi  :)

what does '&nbsp' stand for?

Hi Gabri,

I have no idea. Sometimes when I post I see a whole bunch of symbols and signs mixed in with my posting. I have tried to erase them, but when I post they reappear.

When I posted last week,would see a bar with various signs and symbols, but this week when I go to post all I see is an empty box and I have to make my post. Then I have to go to preview post and click twice either that or my posting comes out as one big blob of a posting. I was wondering does this happen to anyone else?

Hi Gigi,

I haven't started reading this one yet.  I got it at BookBash a couple weekends ago.  When I picked it up I thought it was a collaboration between Sylvia & Shayla I didn't even realize there was another author.  When I talked to Shayla she told me the story stands on its own but there will be some secondary characters that will appear from previous writings.  It doesn't sound like you need to read any of the other books for these stories to make sense.  I will start reading this weekend. 

From talking to the other women at the signing I think Shayla gets heavy into BDSM and her Wicked series is very popular.   I bought the first one as she recommended to me.  I'll make the decision to read more when I finish. 

Sharon

Hi Sharon,

I read Shayla's story and it wasn't bad. I am still reading Sylvia's story..the whole turtle thing (;))

As far as the whole BDSM theme, I would whole heartedly agree! I have to say, I read Shayla's first book and I found the experience traumatic to say the least...sigh!

I have to say I find it difficult to put words like "searing pain" together with pleasure. I have a hard time trying to figure out where pleasure can be found from cruel pain?

Shayla's ability to write an interesting and captivating story is abundantly clear when one sits and reads her material, what I struggle with is the level of se*ual violence that some of the characters enjoy. When you read from her Wicked Series I would be interested to hear what your thoughts and opinions are. Thanks.

Ok...Here's my list of books that I've enjoyed since starting this genre of books (Romance, contemporary etc)

Seven Years to Sin by Sylvia Day ( :) )

Beauty from Pain (cliffhanger) by Georgia Cates

Beauty from Surrender

Beauty from ____ TBR idk when...she's just decided to write it, so book 2 end nicely w/o a cliffhanger

Georgia is very vocal w/ her fans on FB like SD...super friendly and asks for a lot of input

She's also written YA books

Going Under & Shallow

Collide (cliffhanger) by Gail McHugh

Pulse due Aug 10 the final book in series

On Dublin Street (LOVED!) by Samantha Young

Until Fountain Bridge follows two characters from ODS

Down London Rd (haven't read yet) follows a character from ODS

I believe she's got another book coming out from this series

Tangled by Emma Chase

This was so funny...male POV

Wallbanger by Alice Clayton

This was HYSTERICAL! I loved this book and LOL'd the whole time.

Beautiful ######

Beautiful Stranger by Christina Lauren

These two were good

The Edge of Never (Cried like a baby....sooo good!)

The Edge of Always tbr Nov by J.A Redmerski

Lost to You

Take this Regret  A.L. Jackson

Hopeless by Colleen Hoover

Losing Hope TBR in July

Not in the romance dept:

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn...whoa..what a book! I literally screamed at my iPad at the end...my husband was like 'wtf??' lol :)

I also read her other two books...she's such a great writer..I was stunned at the end of both..well all three

Dark Places

Sharp Objects (very disturbing to me)

The Help  Kathryn Stockett

Water for Elephants Sara Gruen

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

The Kite Runner

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

anything by Mitch Albom

Ok...that's my List! I've read a bunch more but only lised the ones i'd rec :)

I'm waiting for the price to drop on the Stark and Blackstone series so I could buy and read those...they look good and I know you ladies have rec'd them.

I have to agree about Wallbanger it was so funny and I loved it!

Hi Sheena

You will love it. As I said a Scottish Gideon sort of!

Just finished seven years to sin. Absolutely loved it. Especially the red dress and the sex in the carriage! how did they manage that!!! Now i see where the sex in the limo and red dress came from in Bared.

Gong to start it again.

Enjoy being a hermit. :)

I loved all of them Julie and I sent Samantha a message telling her that, I have also asked her if she will be writing more on the three couples so we shall wait to see if she comes back with anything. :)

Hi Sheens,

I haven't read either book yet. Right now I am reading the Hot in Handcuff Series of Novellas by Sylvia Day, Shayla Black and Shiloh Walker. I have just gotten to Sylvia's novella and notice that there are others in the series. I am wondering if I should track them down first before I start reading her latest installment in the series.

I asked a question earlier and I will ask it again; does it matter which installment of a series a person reads first? Will it affect the understanding of the reading material or does each novella basically stand on its own with threads that link one book to another? What does everyone think?

P.S. I hope you enjoy your vacation. :)

Hi GiGi

Vacation was good, quite relaxing at times but I did get contacted a bit by work, so just getting to forum now.  I wanted Hot n Handcuffs but i cannot download it to my Ipad in the UK for some reason it is not out in the Ibooks in the UK so going to try the UK Kindle download, I think at times it does matter which book you read in a series but in Samantha Young's books it didn't feel as if I had missed anything by reading the second book first.

Hope this helps

Sheens :)

Release Me, Claim Me and Complete Me. They are GREAT!

Hi Jls,

Could you please be kind enough and post the author's name and the books that he/she has published thus far.  I can then add them to the master list for forum members if they would like to read anything else during the wait.  Thanks in advance.

GiGi

Hi GiGi

Vacation was good, quite relaxing at times but I did get contacted a bit by work, so just getting to forum now.  I wanted Hot n Handcuffs but i cannot download it to my Ipad in the UK for some reason it is not out in the Ibooks in the UK so going to try the UK Kindle download, I think at times it does matter which book you read in a series but in Samantha Young's books it didn't feel as if I had missed anything by reading the second book first.

Hope this helps

Sheens :)

Hi Sheens,

I am glad that you had a good vacation!  I can see the downloading of an e-book as a problem.  Since you are in the UK, you might want to try The Book Depository (they are a UK based company).  They have several selections of Sylvia Day's books as well as other authors.  It is just a thought.    :)

GiGi

Hey, twice now people have recommended the Stark series to me, can someone tell me what they are called so I can look them up

Hi Sheens & Ladies,

If you let me know who wrote the "Stark Series" and which books are included in the series then I can add it to the master list.  Thanks in advance everyone. :)

GiGi

Release Me, Claim Me and Complete Me. They are GREAT!

Thanks Jen, I have downloaded the first two but did not get Complete Me on my list on the IBooks so will do that tonight when I get home, will let you know what I think :)

Hi Sheens,

I am glad that you had a good vacation!  I can see the downloading of an e-book as a problem.  Since you are in the UK, you might want to try The Book Depository (they are a UK based company).  They have several selections of Sylvia Day's books as well as other authors.  It is just a thought.    :)

GiGi

Thanks GiGi, will look into that :)