Books as good as the Crossfire series

Hi Gigi--

We seem to have similar taste.  I have read JANE'S MELODY since it was recommended here.  Liked it.  Loved the BEAUTIFUL series but I think you should really read BEAUTIFUL ###### as that is the first one.  Then BEAUTIFUL STRANGER.  Max is something else. I have read all the rest in order.

I have read all of Sylvia's Georgian series and just loved them.  I am not sure I read IN THE FLESH.  Will check it out.  I love historical fiction and have read the others of Sylvia;s that are stand alones.  The only things of Sylvia I have not read are some of the short stories and all the paranormal books.  I don't like paranormal stuff.  I am thinking of trying SPELLBOUND  but I am not sure.

I did read GONE GIRL and hated the ending.  Just finished SYCAMORE ROW and the latest Alex Cross book.  Read them all.

I read a lot.  Don't watch TV during the day at all and I find reading so incredibly relaxing.  If I am home, I am either reading or cooking.  I get lost in a good book.  Since I got my ipad I read a whole lot more than I ever did.  I love it.  

The problem with some of the romance novels is that the writing is just not good.  Sylvia and Sylvain Reynard are definite exceptions to that.  The other is that the characters are all of similar age.  I would love to read a love story about people who are middle aged.  

I will go back to the master list which I am so thrilled with.  I cannot believe you went to all that trouble for us.  Thank you again.

Hi GLH,

Thank you for your suggestions.  I have just ordered the rest of the Beautiful Series; including the first two books.  I am holding off on reading the others until I have read the first two.  I will honour the spirit of the series...now I just have to hide books so I am not tempted to read them.  :)

I completely agree with your assessment.  There are quite a few romance novels that simply do not have good storylines. Many of the romance novels also have a "cookie cutter" approach to the way in which romance scenes are written.  Some novelists think that the raunchier the better and it is a shame.  The romance is only really good when there is an incredible storyline to back it up.  I also agree with you, that Sylvia can write a really good story! :)

If you get a chance, try giving Shayla Black's Novella; "Wicked All The Way" a try.  It deals with a middle aged couple and the writing was really sweet.  It is one of my favourites from Shayla Black.  :)

I have actually read all of Sylvia's short stories.  I went to her website and clicked on her bookshelf title and her short stories popped up.  So I clicked on the link (the books) and ordered the books that the short stories were in.  They were all really good.  I think I liked the Shadow Stalkers Series and All Revved Up the best, but you won't be disappointed with any of her works. 

As far as all of the reading is concerned, your brain will thank you in the coming years!  All of your reading helps to keep it active and that staves off other issues in later years.  So at the end of the day, you have been entertained and you have done something good for yourself as well.  :)

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One more thing--My kids always give me a couple books for Christmas.  I copied some of the recommendations from here to add to my regular list (a couple of my favs always have a new book out this time of year).  My son always gives me the latest James Paterson (Alex Cross) book plus one or two others and my youngest daughter always gives me the latest Preston & Child book and another.  I love to read and this way I don't buy a book they plan to give me. 

Thanks to Barb I let my oldest daughter know if she buys an Amazon gift card from the grocery store it will add to the cents off gas.  Can't go wrong with a gift card and it is less expensive to mail.  This week my book addiction saved me $.30 off per gallon of gas.  I'm going to buy books anyway it is good to get cheaper gas too.

Hi Sharon,

That's a great idea!  Amazon in Canada doesn't offer that incentive, but it is a good thing that it is offered somewhere.  Getting a discount on gas is always a great thing! 

I don't know if you have heard that Kallypso Masters will be releasing her next book by Christmas!  She had mentioned that it will be offered in at least one location; Amazon, Kindle,Smashwords, etc. but I am not sure if it has been decided exactly.  I am so excited!  I really hope that it is offered at Smashwords. Then I can order it via a PDF file.  Otherwise I hope that she releases the printed book soon...:)

Hi Gigi. 

Thanks for keeping the list up to date.  I use your list to update my spreadsheet of books to read.  I will say I read or listened to all of J.D. Robb's "In Death" series over the past two months.  I read a Nora Roberts' book years ago and didn't like it.  I'm not sure why and I don't remember the book but because of that I resisted the "In Death" series even though so many of my friends recommend them all the time.  After SD mentioned Nora Roberts/J.D. Robb in  interviews (and Reflections) I decided to give it a go.  I used one of my audible credits and listened to the book and became hooked. 

There are some similarities between Roarke & Gideon- rich beyond belief, very successful in business, hot, hot, hot, loves his wife and beautiful to look at.  If for not other reason, that alone is worth the time reading the books. 

Eve and Eva have similar names and over came an abusive childhood but they are very different as adults. 

If you love a good mystery/crime novel mixed with a hot romance these books are worth reading. 

As an aside, if you like audio books I found that Kindle will add the audio version on some books for cheap.  It is less expensive to buy the kindle/audio bundle then the audio alone.  I like to highlight and make notes while I'm reading my favorite series so I buy the Kindle or Nook books.  I like to listen to the audio on my ride to work and while cleaning.  The audio adds a lot to the book especially when there is a good narrator. 

Hi Sharon,

Thank you for your suggestions.  I will have to give them a go in the New Year.  Thus far, all of your recommendations have been stellar!  I am sitting and trying to patiently wait for Maya Bank's next book in the KGI Series.  Thank you for your suggestion of that series.  I don't know if you have a chance to read the final installment of the Colter Legacy Series.  It was really quite touching. 

I may have to give a listen to an audio book.  It may help to pass the time while I plan and map out my Christmas baking list.  I just have to be sure that it is only me around while I am busy baking.  Otherwise, it won't just be the gingerbread blushing this year.  Thanks again.  :) 

Hi Sharon,

That's a great idea!  Amazon in Canada doesn't offer that incentive, but it is a good thing that it is offered somewhere.  Getting a discount on gas is always a great thing! 

I don't know if you have heard that Kallypso Masters will be releasing her next book by Christmas!  She had mentioned that it will be offered in at least one location; Amazon, Kindle,Smashwords, etc. but I am not sure if it has been decided exactly.  I am so excited!  I really hope that it is offered at Smashwords. Then I can order it via a PDF file.  Otherwise I hope that she releases the printed book soon... :)

IS the Kallypso Masters book in the Masters At Arms Rescue Me series?   Love those.  Waiting for  "Somebody's Angel" one to find out more about Marc and Angelina.

IS the Kallypso Masters book in the Masters At Arms Rescue Me series?   Love those.  Waiting for  "Somebody's Angel" one to find out more about Marc and Angelina.

Yes this is the next part of the Marc and Angelina's story.  It goes back to the problems they had in Denver and how they work it out after Angelina leaves him. 

Hi Sharon,

Thank you for your suggestions.  I will have to give them a go in the New Year.  Thus far, all of your recommendations have been stellar!  I am sitting and trying to patiently wait for Maya Bank's next book in the KGI Series.  Thank you for your suggestion of that series.  I don't know if you have a chance to read the final installment of the Colter Legacy Series.  It was really quite touching. 

I may have to give a listen to an audio book.  It may help to pass the time while I plan and map out my Christmas baking list.  I just have to be sure that it is only me around while I am busy baking.  Otherwise, it won't just be the gingerbread blushing this year.  Thanks again.  :)

Gigi,  I have the Colter Legacy books but I haven't finished them yet.  I plan on doing that over the Christmas vacation.  (I have two weeks off)

I like audio books when I have to travel it passes the time.  Be careful listening to audio books with the windows down.  I shared the Gideon / Eva angry lovemaking on their way to NC with my fellow commuters.  It can be embarrassing when you notice others listening at the red light. 

I have said before that I LOVED the GABRIEL  series.  I really do.  So romantic.  Anyway, the other day, on the Christian Grey Fan Page, the author of the series did a q and a as Professor Emerson.  He answered questions in many different languages as the Professor, not as himself.  It was really kind of cool and there will be a repeat on Sunday night because there were so many questions and time ran out.  So, I was thinking how cool it would be if Eva or Gideon did the same thing.

Hi Sharon,

I don't know if you have heard that Kallypso Masters will be releasing her next book by Christmas!  She had mentioned that it will be offered in at least one location; Amazon, Kindle,Smashwords, etc. but I am not sure if it has been decided exactly.  I am so excited!  I really hope that it is offered at Smashwords. Then I can order it via a PDF file.  Otherwise I hope that she releases the printed book soon... :)

Hey GiGi,

Somebody's Angel is out.  It is almost 400 pages (I love longer books because I read so fast).  The timeline is what happens with Marc & Angel starting around and and after the Aspen trip.  Masters uses an interesting technique because we see some of Damien & Savannah's and Adam & Karla's adventure from a different point of view.  The book fills in a lot of blanks while taking Marc and Angelina on a difficult journey.  I liked it and now I'm waiting again for Luke & Cassie to get to their HEA. 

Next week Maya Banks next book in the KGI series is out.  She posted on her blog that this is her longest book to date.  As I said before, I like the longer books because we get more details.  Since Van is my favorite Kelly I can't wait for After the Storm.

It does seem like I'm waiting a lot for the rest of the story. LOL

• 3 weeks later...

If you need another book to read while waiting for Sylvia's book, I have a wonderful recommendation: The Boss series by Abigail Barnette. The author is a pseudo name for Jennifer Armentrout who contributed to "50 Authors on 50 Shades" that Sylvia was also in. The story is very very well written and very very fun to read. The third book comes out in March, so there are two out now and a short story from the guy's p.o.v. If you like Sylvia's work you will like the Boss Series as well. 

If you need another book to read while waiting for Sylvia's book, I have a wonderful recommendation: The Boss series by Abigail Barnette. The author is a pseudo name for Jennifer Armentrout who contributed to "50 Authors on 50 Shades" that Sylvia was also in. The story is very very well written and very very fun to read. The third book comes out in March, so there are two out now and a short story from the guy's p.o.v. If you like Sylvia's work you will like the Boss Series as well. 

I looked up The Boss Series because I love other books that Jennifer Armentrout has written under J. Lynn.  Is the series is The Boss and then The Hook-Up and the new release is The Girlfriend?  I looked on BN.com and the first two are free.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Hi ladies!

I'm really disappointed with the last KGI, After the Storm. I think this time Maya Banks rushed the love story too much. As she said it was her longest book to date, I was expecting something else, something more for Van's book. The story is ok in general, but the love story is an exaggeration of instalove. Really sad it went that way. I hope Swanny's book (When Day Breaks, KGI #9) due to June 24th will be better.

On the other side, I really loved Samantha Young's Before Jamaica Lane (On Dublin Street #3), even if the plot has an important similarity in some aspect with Beautiful Player.

Also, if you like the family stories like the With Me in Seattle series, I will recommend you The Alexanders series by M. Malone (a suggestion to GiGi's list ;)  ) The books and reading order are as follows, and there are more to come in the future:

• Teasing Trent (The Alexanders, #0.5)
  • One More Day (The Alexanders, #1)
  • The Things I Do for You (The Alexanders, #2)
  • He's the Man (The Alexanders, #3)
  • Christmas With The Alexanders (The Alexanders, #3.5)
  • All I Need is You (The Alexanders, #4) TBR February. 14th 2014

And talking about the With Me in Seattle series, I've seen the last book on the list is Breathe With Me (#7), but there's another one, Forever With Me (#8), that ends the series. It's Dominic and Alecia story.

For Kristen Proby fans, she is releasing a new series, a trilogy this time, called Love Under the Big Sky, the books are:

• Loving Cara (#1) TBR January, 21st 2014
  • Seducing Lauren (#2) TBR August, 19th 2014
  • Falling for Jillian (#3) TBR late 2014

To the ones who love the KGI series, I've discover something the same style. It's the Hostile Operations Team series by Lynn Raye Harris.  First 3 stories were released in 2013, next 3 are expected this 2014:

• Hot Pursuit (#1) [i don't know why, but I fell in love for a while with Captain Matt Girard :) ]
  • Hot Mess (#1.5)
  • Hot Package (#1.6) not published standalone, for now can be found as a novella on Hot, Sexy and Bad: A Holiday Collection
  • Dangerously Hot (#2) TBR spring 2014
  • Hot Shot (#3?) TBR summer 2014
  • Untitled (#4?) TBR late 2014 and problaby the final stand

At least, the first 3 can be read as standalone books.

And finally, to those who enjoyed the Stark Triolgy by J. Kenner, she has a new trilogy, the Most Wanted series. Each book is the story of one of three friends, "three enigmatic and powerful men, and the striking women who can bring them to their knees":

• Wanted (#1) released January 7th
  • Heated (#2) TBR May, 13th 2014
  • Ignited (#3) TBR September, 2nd 2014

I really enjoyed the first book, Evan Black and Angelina Raine story. Evan Black is introduced by J. Kenner on Take Me, the novella that gives closure to the Stark Trilogy (but not to the Stark universe, as on March 11th is expected Tame Me (Stark International #1), Jamie Archer and Ryan Hunter story).

Well, a lot of suggestions to read while we wait for Captivated by You. If  I read something else or found out any other information I will let you know. Enough for today.

Just read

Accidentally on Purpose Book 1

Worthy of Redemption Book 2

By L Davis

Brilliant reads. Angsty. Tension passion torment. Got it all. Tissues required

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned since its been awhile since I've been here but you need to read the third book "Worth the Fight Book 3. Its Luke's POV

Hey GiGi,

Somebody's Angel is out.  It is almost 400 pages (I love longer books because I read so fast).  The timeline is what happens with Marc & Angel starting around and and after the Aspen trip.  Masters uses an interesting technique because we see some of Damien & Savannah's and Adam & Karla's adventure from a different point of view.  The book fills in a lot of blanks while taking Marc and Angelina on a difficult journey.  I liked it and now I'm waiting again for Luke & Cassie to get to their HEA. 

Next week Maya Banks next book in the KGI series is out.  She posted on her blog that this is her longest book to date.  As I said before, I like the longer books because we get more details.  Since Van is my favorite Kelly I can't wait for After the Storm.

It does seem like I'm waiting a lot for the rest of the story. LOL

Hi Sharonm and GiGi!

Even BDSM is not my thing, after reading both your comments here about Kallypso Masters' Rescue Me series, I decided to give those books a try and I have really enjoyed them. Thank you ladies! Now I am another one waiting for Luke and Cassie story!

By the way, did you know Kally is going to write a new series? It's gonna be a spinoff of the Rescue Me series, based on the Giardano brothers.  She said this new one will be "vanilla", but really really hot. Well, as all the Giardano brothers are firemen, I don't doubt it. ;)

Again, thank you for your recommendations. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have recently read the HE11 Yeah! series by Sable Hunter.  Starts with Cowboy Heat, then Hot on Her Trail,  and covers the McCoy brothers and their finding the women of their dreams.  There are 2 versions of most of these books (12 in the series already but since we have moved onto friends and acquaintances, there is a possibility for a number more (he11 Yeah! Cajun Style and HE11 Yeah! Equalizers).  

The "sweeter version" of the books/kindles are a little more tame but good reads all the same.  Waiting for the next one of these to come out.  They are hard to put down.  I would recommend you read them in order because just like the "Rescue Me" series by Kallypso Masters, the storylines weave through the books and you would get a little confused about other characters - especially with Aron and what happens to him on his honeymoon.

Still waiting for more Gideon and Eva though!

• 3 weeks later...

I've also have been reading Kisten Ashley books. I've read the Dream Man series that leads into Chaos (didn't know the Mountain Men series also lead there, as the waiting for more G & E is being soooooooooo longgggggg i'll give them a try). Same as GLH, I think the writing is not great, but I loved the stories, especially the fact that the characters are in their 30s and 40s.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Gaia--

Didn't know the Dream Man books led to Chaos so I may try one.  Do you know if there is a third Chaos book out?

Also just found out that there is a fourth book to the Blackstone trilogy.  I LOVED  Ethan.  Am starting the fourth today.  RARE AND PRECIOUS THINGS.  

Hi Gaia--

Didn't know the Dream Man books led to Chaos so I may try one.  Do you know if there is a third Chaos book out?

Also just found out that there is a fourth book to the Blackstone trilogy.  I LOVED  Ethan.  Am starting the fourth today.  RARE AND PRECIOUS THINGS.  

Hi GLH,

As far as I know, there is not a third Chaos yet. And YES! the Dream Man series leads to Chaos. If you want to read just one of them, I'll recommend you to read the forth and last, Motorcycle Man. It is the story of Tyra (Red/Cherry) & Tack and  as they are Tabitha's (Chaos #1) dad and stepmom, and Tyra is BFF with Laine (Chaos #2), I think it would be the right one to chose... but it would be a shame to miss the other three. A big one.

Dream Man and Chaos series are like the With Me in Seattle, the Colorado Mountains or the Beautiful B*stard series, you can read one book and it would be ok, but you'll miss a lot because you just don't know what's behind the characters. Your choice, of course, but to me, the best is to read them all and read them in the correct order, as the characters start to show with the first book and keep showing during the rest of them. All the four dream men play a role since the very begining, and the girls' posse starts also there. Chaos is the spin off, so a lot of things are started at Motorcycle Man, and the previous three will let you know who is who (Hawk - the comando-, Elvira, Slim and Mitch - the detectives, Laine & Tabitha's previous stories ...)  I think you'll have a lot of fun if your read the four Deam Man and then you re-read the two Chaos. ;)

Regarding the Blackstone Affair.... I'm as fustrated as I am with the waiting for CBY. As I discovered this genre less than a year ago, when i tried to buy the books (kindle format, english version) I found out the first three were not available... and still are not!!! :(  Don't know what to do.. sure thing I'm not reading the fourth without reading the others.  Even emailed Raine Miller three months ago asking is she knew when would they be available, and the woman is still  O.O

Hi Gaia--

I realized I did read the Dream Man books.  For some reason I got them mixed up with the Mountain men ones which I have not read.

As for Blackstone, I got the trilogy on my ipad as a set.  It is beyond me that Amazon doesn't have them.  They have everything.  So, I have read all 4 Blackstones and there is a shorter one about 2 of the characters which I just started.  Check out each book individually.  The first one is NAKED.  Then ALL IN. Then EYES WIDE OPEN.  Maybe you can do it that way.  We have to get them for you.  You will love them.   

Just checked Amazon.  They have the Kindle edition of the trilogy.  Check again.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, I know a lot of these posts are about the 3rd book but I am rereading crossfire again and I am  stumped by this quote so... 

what does this quote mean.

“You forget who submits, Eva,†he said gruffly. “I’ve given up control for you. I’ve bent and adjusted for you. I’ll do anything to keep you and make you happy. But I can’t be tamed or topped. Don’t mistake indulgence for weakness.

Is he saying he submits or eva. When he gave her theDom  ring he said she is the submissive, but now is he saying he submits? also is he telling eva that she's an indulgence to him,or vise versa?

• 4 weeks later...

No, he does not submit.  He may give in to Eva in other ways, but not in bed.  

Been reading another Kristen Ashley series--the Burg series.  Loved them.  She has great stories.  And not real short.  SEDUCED BY FIRE by Tara Sue Me who wrote the Dominant /Submissive series is good also.  CONFESSIONS AFTER DARK by Kahlen Aymes is the second book in that series.  First is ANGEL AFTER DARK.  Both are good.

Since 4 and 5 are not gonna be here any time soon, I need some other more recently released suggestions.  Jodi Ellen Malpasse has a new series starting in August.  She wrote THIS MAN and that trilogy is complete and the main character, Jesse, is among my top 5 favorite male characters so I am looking forward to her next series.

No, he does not submit.  He may give in to Eva in other ways, but not in bed.  

Been reading another Kristen Ashley series--the Burg series.  Loved them.  She has great stories.  And not real short.  SEDUCED BY FIRE by Tara Sue Me who wrote the Dominant /Submissive series is good also.  CONFESSIONS AFTER DARK by Kahlen Aymes is the second book in that series.  First is ANGEL AFTER DARK.  Both are good.

Since 4 and 5 are not gonna be here any time soon, I need some other more recently released suggestions.  Jodi Ellen Malpasse has a new series starting in August.  She wrote THIS MAN and that trilogy is complete and the main character, Jesse, is among my top 5 favorite male characters so I am looking forward to her next series.

Hi GLH, have you read "On Dublin Street" by Samantha Young. A great story with great sex scenes & ...don't hit me... but I liked the male & female main characters more than Eva & Gideon. (they come in second). Her writing is an easy read & very witty.