Entwined - A Chapter A Day Discussion (contains spoilers)

Hi Everyone,

After reading chapter 4, I got the sense that Eva and Gideon were now entering a new phase in their relationship.  They are beginning to navigate how they are going to keep their secrets, but it is also clear that there is something budding between the two of them; a type of familiarity and the beginnings of an ease between them.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked how Eva said something to Gideon about the invite from Brett to attend the video showing. And how she said she could cancel. I also like how Gideon made arrangements for the limo, circuit of his clubs and security, and how Eva was ok with everything.

Hi Peachies, 

I liked that too.  I just wish she had actually cancelled but I can understand why she didn't (if she was using Brett as a cover of sorts).  I don't think I buy that whole Eva and Brett wanting to be friends deal.  Given different circumstances, I don't know that Eva would have had further dealings with Brett.  He was her past and Gideon is her future.  What do you think?

Morning ladies hope you all had a fab weekend. Just about caught up.

Fave from the chapters:

Chapter1 - "I can survive anything if I have you"

Chapter2 - " Eva. Let me..." He cupped my face licking deep into my mouth. "Let me love you."

Chapter3 - " if its not at least seven o'clock, I am going to kick your Arse."

Chaoter4 - I love the phone convo between Gideva

In chapter 5, Gideon relates to Eva that she is still hurting after their weeks apart.

"We can't just forget the last few weeks, Eva. I cut you deep and your still bleeding"

Gideon had picked up on it, that Eva still harboured a grudge, even though he had killed for her, and knowing why he pulled away from her.

What had happened could not be forgotten or forgiven overnight.

Healing would take time.

Just love the line

"Do you want to suck face or not". obviously an American term! Brilliant :)

"Day One of my life was the day I met you"

The words hit me like a blow. I swallowed hard and whispered, "okay, that's a winner. You can put it in."

Loving the mixture of seriousness and humour.

I'm sorry can't do just one line.

chapter-five.jpg

On we go with our deep-dive into one chapter per day. How it works:

1. We're trying to avoid mentioning anything that happens beyond today's chapter. The idea behind sticking to just the chapter -- plus anything coming before it -- is that fans still reading the novel can start talking about early chapters without coming across stuff from later in the book they haven't read for themselves yet, stuff that might spoil surprises of what's to come - "spoilers".
  2. Pick a favorite quote or paragraph -- oh h e c k pick plenty: it's so hard to choose sometimes. Sylvia started the pick a quote (or paragraph) system when she started the group effort to re-read one chapter per day of Bared to You and Reflected in You.
  3. Have fun!!! (That's the real easy part!)

Morning ladies hope you all had a fab weekend. Just about caught up.

Fave from the chapters:

Chapter1 - "I can survive anything if I have you"

Chapter2 - " Eva. Let me..." He cupped my face licking deep into my mouth. "Let me love you."

Chapter3 - " if its not at least seven o'clock, I am going to kick your Arse."

Chaoter4 - I love the phone convo between Gideva

Morning Bookworm

I love all these, I have a favourite line from Chapter 5 but I know we are not there yet so can't say anything darn LOL :)

In chapter 5, Gideon relates to Eva that she is still hurting after their weeks apart.

"We can't just forget the last few weeks, Eva. I cut you deep and your still bleeding"

Gideon had picked up on it, that Eva still harboured a grudge, even though he had killed for her, and knowing why he pulled away from her.

Healing would take time.

Just love the line

The words hit me like a blow. I swallowed hard and whispered, "okay, that's a winner. You can put it in."

Hey Julie girl :)

You know I loved the paragraph where Gideon excepts that Eva is going to the Times Square concert and what he say's but I think he is still very insecure here that Eva may not stay with him, even though she has told him she loves him and actually in Chapter 4 or 5 I think it is he tells Eva he loves her too much twice which I thought was lovely.

My all time favourite line in the whole book is the one in Chap 5 you have listed it above as well " Day one of my life was the day I met you", that just melted me and I think that sums up Gideon and even after reading and listening to the whole book that line still stays with me and I love it.

have a good day :)

Good morning, Julie!

"Suck face" is in the same league as your British term "snogging." I first came across the word snogging in the Harry Potter series, somewhere around the 4th or 5th book, where Harry and his friends had become teen-agers, old enough to be kissing other teens.

"Suck face" is something American teens might say. Eva's being very playful here, like she and Gideon are much very younger and inexperienced, have just started going out, and are deciding just how far to go at this early stage - just kissing, petting (running hands over one another while kissing), "heavy petting" (skin to skin contact), "all the way" (meaning some form of intercourse)

Another popular system American teens would use to describe how far they go uses sports analogies - our national sport of baseball, where there are three bases plus "home base". Scoring points (runs) involves a player running all three bases and then running across the home base.

1. First base - French kissing and petting over clothing
  2. Second base - skin to skin contact above the waist (especially a boy getting to touch a girl's b r e a s t s)
  3. Third base - skin to skin contact below the waist
  4. Home base - (also called home run) "going all the way" intercourse.

Morning Bookworm

I love all these, I have a favourite line from Chapter 5 but I know we are not there yet so can't say anything darn LOL :)

Morning Sheens!

New chapter of the day starts as soon as midnight passes wherever you are -- don't wait for me in Eastern U.S. time to haul myself out of bed.

We picked 9 a.m. Eastern purely for last Friday, day one of when we all were going to break our community agreed-on time to start posting about Entwined for the very first time, having given everyone time to get their books read. The snapshots used to come out on Sylvia's main site at 9 a.m., so it seemed like a good time to pick.

Go for it!!!!

When Eva and Gideon are teasing about him being allowed to "put it in" it's as if they're older teens or very young adults having intercourse for the first time in a relationship -- especially if it's the first time ever for the girl, "giving up" her virginity.

Good morning, Julie!

"Suck face" is in the same league as your British term "snogging." I first came across the word snogging in the Harry Potter series, somewhere around the 4th or 5th book, where Harry and his friends had become teen-agers, old enough to be kissing other teens.

"Suck face" is something American teens might say. Eva's being very playful here, like she and Gideon are much very younger and inexperienced, have just started going out, and are deciding just how far to go at this early stage - just kissing, petting (running hands over one another while kissing), "heavy petting" (skin to skin contact), "all the way" (meaning some form of intercourse)

Another popular system American teens would use to describe how far they go uses sports analogies - our national sport of baseball, where there are three bases plus "home base". Scoring points (runs) involves a player running all three bases and then running across the home base.

• First base - French kissing and petting over clothing
  • Second base - skin to skin contact above the waist (especially a boy getting to touch a girl's b r e a s t s)
  • Third base - skin to skin contact below the waist
  • Home base - (also called home run) "going all the way" intercourse.
Good morning to you too!

I love this chapter, as you say, they are having a bit of fun.

I glad you explained the baseball analogies, I have heard about them, not fully explained though.

See I have missed your explanations. Thank you.

See Harry Potter taught your a thing or two! Suck face is so much better than snogging. :)

Good morning, Julie!

1. First base - French kissing and petting over clothing
  2. Second base - skin to skin contact above the waist (especially a boy getting to touch a girl's b r e a s t s)
  3. Third base - skin to skin contact below the waist
  4. Home base - (also called home run) "going all the way" intercourse.

I loved that whole scene LN :)

Hey Julie girl :)

You know I loved the paragraph where Gideon excepts that Eva is going to the Times Square concert and what he say's but I think he is still very insecure here that Eva may not stay with him, even though she has told him she loves him and actually in Chapter 4 or 5 I think it is he tells Eva he loves her too much twice which I thought was lovely.

My all time favourite line in the whole book is the one in Chap 5 you have listed it above as well " Day one of my life was the day I met you", that just melted me and I think that sums up Gideon and even after reading and listening to the whole book that line still stays with me and I love it.

have a good day :)

That is my favourite line too. :D

Morning Sheens!

New chapter of the day starts as soon as midnight passes wherever you are -- don't wait for me in Eastern U.S. time to haul myself out of bed.

We picked 9 a.m. Eastern purely for last Friday, day one of when we all were going to break our community agreed-on time to start posting about Entwined for the very first time, having given everyone time to get their books read. The snapshots used to come out on Sylvia's main site at 9 a.m., so it seemed like a good time to pick.

Go for it!!!!

Thanks LN, I did that after I noticed you posted the snapshot of Chapter 5

I still love that chapter and that one line from Gideon makes me melt inside everytime I read it or hear it  "Day one of my life was when I met you" I feel it was so heartfelt by Gideon and so true to him 

:D

Good morning to you too!

I love this chapter, as you say, they are having a bit of fun.

I glad you explained the baseball analogies, I have heard about them, not fully explained though.

See I have missed your explanations. Thank you.

See Harry Potter taught your a thing or two! Suck face is so much better than snogging. :)

I think it is lovely everytime you hear in the book Eva and Gideon having fun together and just talking with each other but being comfortable with each other that means they can kid each other on, it is great to hear/read :)

Healing would take time.

Just love the line

I love the fact that even although their break up wasn't real Gideon still acknowledges the fact that Eva did think it was and still has to get over their "break up". I fell in love with him even more during this one!! :)

I love the fact that even although their break up wasn't real Gideon still acknowledges the fact that Eva did think it was and still has to get over their "break up". I fell in love with him even more during this one!! :)

I so agree with you. He knows she needs time to heal.

It was never real to him, because he never meant for it to ever be over. Unfortunately for him, their second break-up, like the first in Bared to You, was very real to Eva.

In Reflected, he repeated in a far more serious way the same mistake he made in Bared to You, when he sent Eva an inter-office envelope containing her set of apartment keys she'd loaned him, and accompanying the keys with a "Dear Jane" note. Because he couldn't handle her having pulled a runner after for the first time she witnessed a full-fledged nightmare of his (one in which he was in his role as victim instead of aggressor.) He didn't get it that the reason she stormed out of his place clad only in a bathrobe was she felt he way lying to her. He was convinced she left because what she'd seen disgusted him.

That time, they were apart for four days, all the time him hoping she would come back. He went to see Stanton about Nathan, arranged for him as an individual and them as a couple to become patients of Dr. Petersen, replicated her bedroom in his apartment as a safe room she could retreat into if she needed space, even bought her a promise ring. But finally by day four, he realized she wasn't coming back, not on her own, so he ended up chasing her and begged her to take him back.

In Reflected, he simply meant to create distance between them. But he learned the hard way that trying to control another person (here Eva by emotionally manipulating her) doesn't work and can backfire horribly. Unforeseen circumstances happened, like her finding out about those rape photos. It always had been a possibility, but he obviously banked on it not happening. Never could he have foreseen the consequence - her self esteem problem made her believe he couldn't get past disgust of her now. Yet again, too -- and he ought to have known better -- he vastly underestimated how badly she would react to him taking Corrine out. She believed the worst. She ended it, and though she loved him still, she wasn't waiting for him, wasn't trusting him -- she was going to move on.

In light of all that, I found this chapter especially sweet. Sexually, she took him back to an ordinary starting line -- him as some regular guy having met a new woman he's had over for dinner the first time, the big question being would it be the first time they'd go to bed with one another ... her letting him get "lucky." It's an experience he never got -- not with Corrine in the hotel room nor all the random woman he took there over the years since then.

It was never real to him, because he never meant for it to ever be over. Unfortunately for him, their second break-up, like the first in Bared to You, was very real to Eva.

In Reflected, he repeated in a far more serious way the same mistake he made in Bared to You, when he sent Eva an inter-office envelope containing her set of apartment keys she'd loaned him, and accompanying the keys with a "Dear Jane" note. Because he couldn't handle her having pulled a runner after for the first time she witnessed a full-fledged nightmare of his (one in which he was in his role as victim instead of aggressor.) He didn't get it that the reason she stormed out of his place clad only in a bathrobe was she felt he way lying to her. He was convinced she left because what she'd seen disgusted him.

That time, they were apart for four days, all the time him hoping she would come back. He went to see Stanton about Nathan, arranged for him as an individual and them as a couple to become patients of Dr. Petersen, replicated her bedroom in his apartment as a safe room she could retreat into if she needed space, even bought her a promise ring. But finally by day four, he realized she wasn't coming back, not on her own, so he ended up chasing her and begged her to take him back.

In Reflected, he simply meant to create distance between them. But he learned the hard way that trying to control another person (here Eva by emotionally manipulating her) doesn't work and can backfire horribly. Unforeseen circumstances happened, like her finding out about those rape photos. It always had been a possibility, but he obviously banked on it not happening. Never could he have foreseen the consequence - her self esteem problem made her believe he couldn't get past disgust of her now. Yet again, too -- and he ought to have known better -- he vastly underestimated how badly she would react to him taking Corrine out. She believed the worst. She ended it, and though she loved him still, she wasn't waiting for him, wasn't trusting him -- she was going to move on.

In light of all that, I found this chapter especially sweet. Sexually, she took him back to an ordinary starting line -- him as some regular guy having met a new woman he's had over for dinner the first time, the big question being would it be the first time they'd go to bed with one another ... her letting him get "lucky." It's an experience he never got -- not with Corrine in the hotel room nor all the random woman he took there over the years since then.

I love the last paragraph of your thoughts!!  <3

I found your last paragraph very telling. I never thought of it that way. Never having that sort of experience. As you say, they were playing, teasing each other, as young lovers would do. His whole demeanour has changed. He has softened, without losing his ruthlessness. Eva is a force for good for him.

I found your last paragraph very telling. I never thought of it that way. Never having that sort of experience. As you say, they were playing, teasing each other, as young lovers would do. His whole demeanour has changed. He has softened, without losing his ruthlessness. Eva is a force for good for him.

Love Love Love....!!!