Entwined - A Chapter A Day Discussion (contains spoilers)

Hello ladies!!!

I know it's late, but I couldn't skip a day without our forum!!!

Here are my picks in Chap.17

1) if the insult were intentional, you'd know it.

2) You're are blond, but surely you can't be so naive as to believe that.

2) Crap. That wasn't at all reassuring when she (Mommica) was on Gideon's side of the marriage argument and not mine.

I don't like Brett being naughty with Eva. Why does she let him say "I remember how you feel....Can't wait to feel it again." WHAT!!!! A sound slap in his gorgerous face is in order here!!!!!!

I'd say Eva is flatterd by Brett wanting her....but where's your pride gone, sister????

Arnoldo is so sweet  in his triplel role of Eva's guardian angel, c***blocker and Gideon's 'spy'. I really like the idea of Shawna ending up with him!!!

In this chapter, Mr Giroux is still an airy Frenchman who thinks he has figured out everything concerning his wife's would-be elopement. I can only pity him... he's married a woman who doesn't respect him enough to grace hmi with a quiet divorce before running after another man.

And then Mommica, same old Mommica. I really like it when Eva tells her twice in just one page that "It's not about you, Mom." And about time too!!!!!!! I completely agree with Julie's theories. Seen how nonchalantly Mommica cheated on Stanton, who knows what she might have got involved into to protect Eva?

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

henry_cavill_in_man_of_steel-wide.jpg

Just one last post to put a smile on our faces while we are sleeping. ;)

Good night everybody

Sweet dreams!!!!!

chapter-eighteen.jpg

Well Sunday is chapter 18 so I am going to help get us started with the discussion while LN Cronan is on “holidayâ€

This the the first of two chapters of their weekend trip away!!   :)   :)

Enjoy!!!

My thoughts on chapter 18.

Playing the “Shell game†to make sure not being followed, Gideon saying “This weekend is oursâ€

The restraints….“Crimson is your color.† Reminds me of the red dress you wore the first time that I had you.  That was it for me, you know.  You devastated me.  There was no coming back from that.

Hot airplane sex…!!!!

Eva believing her touch can erase Hugh’s touch for Gideon like he did for her in the library to erase Nathan’s touch.

Love love loved this chapter...!!!!!

Right Gigi, this is how my theory goes.

Clancy admitted to Eva that he had been watching Nathan since he had been back in New York.

Monica worried because Clancy had revealed that Nathan had beaten Cary on that Friday night.

She(Monica)spoke to Gideon at the hospital on the Monday, after he and Eva got back from NC. Telling him what's happened.

She arranges secretly to get the money to keep Eva safe, pay off Nathan to leave the country.

Monica turns up at Nathan's Thursday evening to payoff Nathan.

As she leaves Gideon turns up, not seeing Monica. (Clancy is still watching all this unfold)

Gideon does the deed, leaving Nathan and the money in the flat. Clancy knows he has to do something to protect Monica, so he speaks to his brother, removes the bracelet and photos, which goes on to be planted on a Russian mob guy, who has been murdered by one of his own for sleeping with his daughter. Nathan as no connection whatsoever with the mob. Yedemsky is just a convenient dead body. Thus giving Gideon an alibi, and protecting Monica and Stanton, where the money is concerned, a paper trail.

Monica will do anything to keep Eva safe, including tracking her, and paying off Nathan.

I'm thinking Monica broke own and told Victor this when he came back to New York. That's why he gave his blessing to Gideon, because he knew he wasn't a cheater, but all his(Gideons)crazy actions were to protect Eva all along.

Hope that is a bit clearer.

I have been watching too many police programmes. Lol

That's why I think Monica made those comments to Eva, when they were at lunch. Gideons secrets, and her(Monica)being financially drained., and what she did, was for love. Monica knows. Trust me.

Hi Julie,

I had a few more questions if that’s ok.  I can’t quite connect the dots.  Here we go:

1. How did Nathan wind up on Clancy’s radar?  Is it when Monica and Clancy saw Nathan outside of the Crossfire Building?  Was that the first either of them knew of Nathan’s whereabouts? 

1. How did Clancy know that Nathan had beaten Cary?  Was he tailing Nathan?  Did he witness the beating in your opinion?

1. Where is Monica going to come up with the two million dollars without leaving a paper trail? Did she/Stanton have two million dollars in a safety deposit box or in a home safe?

1. Did anyone see Monica enter the hotel?  How did Monica get into the hotel without anyone noticing Monica?  She is a very attractive woman and I think that if she walked into a hotel, people would notice.

1. If Monica paid off Nathan, then why wasn’t the money found with the body or in the hotel room?  Who took the money? 

1. If Clancy did take the bracelet, then why wouldn’t he have taken the money from Nathan?  Wouldn’t two million dollars make the police suspicious?  The police would surely find out that Nathan had approached Gideon and Monica/Stanton with his blackmail demands.  Why do all of that (take a bracelet and photos of Eva and plant them on another body) and leave a big huge clue like a two million dollar payout for the police to follow?

1. How would Clancy know where the other mob guys’ body was and how would he gain access to that crime scene without being detected by either surveillance or cameras or witnesses?  When would the mob guys’ murder have occurred?  How would Clancy know about that murder?

Thanks for taking the time to explain your theory. It really helps me to understand your postings.  :) 

Hello ladies!!!

I know it's late, but I couldn't skip a day without our forum!!!

Here are my picks in Chap.17

1) if the insult were intentional, you'd know it.

2) You're are blond, but surely you can't be so naive as to believe that.

2) Crap. That wasn't at all reassuring when she (Mommica) was on Gideon's side of the marriage argument and not mine.

I don't like Brett being naughty with Eva. Why does she let him say "I remember how you feel....Can't wait to feel it again." WHAT!!!! A sound slap in his gorgerous face is in order here!!!!!!

I'd say Eva is flatterd by Brett wanting her....but where's your pride gone, sister????

Arnoldo is so sweet  in his triplel role of Eva's guardian angel, c***blocker and Gideon's 'spy'. I really like the idea of Shawna ending up with him!!!

In this chapter, Mr Giroux is still an airy Frenchman who thinks he has figured out everything concerning his wife's would-be elopement. I can only pity him... he's married a woman who doesn't respect him enough to grace hmi with a quiet divorce before running after another man.

And then Mommica, same old Mommica. I really like it when Eva tells her twice in just one page that "It's not about you, Mom." And about time too!!!!!!! I completely agree with Julie's theories. Seen how nonchalantly Mommica cheated on Stanton, who knows what she might have got involved into to protect Eva?

Hi Gabri, 

I agree sister!  Maybe Eva could have stuffed a role in Brett's mouth when he started with all that naughty chat. I still think Brett needs a good smack across the chops for his behaviour!! 

I think that Monica cheated on Stanton because she is not in love with him.  She may love him for what he has done for Eva and her, but that is an appreciative kind of love or admiration.  I am so glad that Eva is starting to act like a daughter with her mother and is forcing her mother to start acting like a mother and not like a friend.

I liked Arnoldo too!  II think that the jury is still out on the Jean Francois deal.  He makes a great pathetic French man but I have to wonder how he treated Corinne during their marriage and whether he might be getting some form of payback now.  Thanks for the chat. :)

chapter-eighteen.jpg

Well Sunday is chapter 18 so I am going to help get us started with the discussion while LN Cronan is on “holidayâ€

Enjoy!!!

Hi Barb,

It certainly looks like a nice airplane (or maybe a jet).  It just looks a little small.  Where would the bedroom be exactly?  :)

Hi Everyone,

After reading chapter 18, Eva realizes that her mom is hiding a secret.   Monica blew off Eva in a really clever way, by telling her that they would discuss things when Eva was no longer upset.  With Monica’s constant missteps when would Eva ever not be upset with her mother?

This was the most intense sexual encounter that both Eva and Gideon have had (in my opinion).  Eva is really bold in taking the lead and in initiating a se**al experience for Gideon that may backfire on her.  Thus far, Gideon never really opened up to Eva about what other types of se**al experiences he might or might not like because of his past.   It felt like Eva was walking a tightrope throughout the scene and I could literally feel her tension as she tried to navigate a positive experience for Gideon.

Gideon also ramped up the se**al experience for Eva by introducing bondage into their relationship. 

It was also really interesting to see the two different communication styles that these two have in the bedroom.  Gideon always talks to Eva, explains to her what is going to happen during a scene whereas Eva showed Gideon the lotion and then began to navigate his body (i.e. leading him into a new and potentially traumatizing se***l experience).  She also didn’t stop when Gideon begged her to at one point which was also really interesting.  It makes me wonder whether Gideon might need a safe word as well. 

The best line in the chapter was really a narrative:  Gideon shot me a look that said, Well?  Run along now.   (Perfect!! :))

What does everyone think? 

Well it certainly is different. SD's does read too heavy like a historical because quite frankly i wouldn't be able to stand it. I tried reading Jane Austen once... didn't get past the first three pages. What I suggest is to go to SD's website and read the excerpt and see if you'd like to read more of the story! Seven Years to Sin was still modern in a sense and it flows just fine for me, it still felt relatable. Granted everything happens in one book so at times she does fast forward but its at points if she continued it would make the book 1000 pages long!! Lol

Hi Claudine,
That was my experience too. I found the historical context of that novel I tried, unrealistic. That's why the dialogue didn't really flow for me. I couldn't imagine how someone might include naughty chat while remaining true to the period/era. What would that man be saying to his love interest: "Wench You must Mount my Steed at once (i.e. his naughty pole)!! I just couldn't wrap my head around the dialogue.

I will check out Sylvia Day's website and read some of the excerpts. Maybe a different author might make all the difference. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

P.S. If I wanted a book that was a thousand pages long, all I would have to do is pick up Leo Tolstoy. Trust me, there is nothing romantic about that man's writing. :)

I love the line from JFG,

"Your blonde, but surely you can't be so naive as to believe that."

Yes Mr Giroux, our girl is BLONDE, not brunette. Gideon finally came to his senses. :D

Hi Julie, 

I just wonder why Jean Francois would say something like that.  I could see all of the other women; his mother, Magdalene, etc. thinking that brunettes were his preference but where would Jean Francois get that idea?  What do you think?

chapter-eighteen.jpg

Enjoy!!!

BEST CHAPTER IN THE BOOK..!! :)

Hi Everyone,

After reading chapter 18, Eva realizes that her mom is hiding a secret.   Monica blew off Eva in a really clever way, by telling her that they would discuss things when Eva was no longer upset.  With Monica’s constant missteps when would Eva ever not be upset with her mother?

This was the most intense sexual encounter that both Eva and Gideon have had (in my opinion).  Eva is really bold in taking the lead and in initiating a se**al experience for Gideon that may backfire on her.  Thus far, Gideon never really opened up to Eva about what other types of se**al experiences he might or might not like because of his past.   It felt like Eva was walking a tightrope throughout the scene and I could literally feel her tension as she tried to navigate a positive experience for Gideon.

Gideon also ramped up the se**al experience for Eva by introducing bondage into their relationship. 

It was also really interesting to see the two different communication styles that these two have in the bedroom.  Gideon always talks to Eva, explains to her what is going to happen during a scene whereas Eva showed Gideon the lotion and then began to navigate his body (i.e. leading him into a new and potentially traumatizing se***l experience).  She also didn’t stop when Gideon begged her to at one point which was also really interesting.  It makes me wonder whether Gideon might need a safe word as well. 

The best line in the chapter was really a narrative:  Gideon shot me a look that said, Well?  Run along now.   (Perfect!! :))

What does everyone think? 

Do you think in any of Gideon's other s*xual encounters that he would have shared that he might enjoy a*al play, or do you think that it has only came up with Eva because she knows what happen to him and because of the relationship that they have built??  She got the indication that he might enjoy it after he discussed his dream with her.  

Just wondering??

Anyone your thoughts???

Good afternoon ladies

I've just finished re- re- re- rereading chap 18.  It's the best chapter ever..... (on second thought, Chap. 19 is even better!!!!).

Gideon's careful coaxing Eva into a new s**ual experience always moves me deeply. He takes her by the hand and lets her into his world. He wants Eva to feel nothing but at ease and possibly happy with what's going on, safe, good, loved.

That's why my pick from this chapter is

1) Gideon was the best of everything for me, a man who wanted me ferociously - which I so urgently needed to feel secure - but with enough self-possession to keep from overwhelming me.

I wonder who wouldn't need that!!!!! :D

Do you think in any of Gideon's other s*xual encounters that he would have shared that he might enjoy a*al play, or do you think that it has only came up with Eva because she knows what happen to him and because of the relationship that they have built??  She got the indication that he might enjoy it after he discussed his dream with her.  

Just wondering??

Anyone your thoughts???

Hi Barb

I believe not one of Gideon's former partners knew about his issues with that particular s*exual practice. Eva herself has to force him to it. She twice choses to ignore Gideon's pleas to stop.... and makes him cry.

Eva has cleansed him from Hugh's touch, and through his cry Gedeon is now free.

My thoughts on chapter 18.

Playing the “Shell game†to make sure not being followed, Gideon saying “This weekend is oursâ€

The restraints….“Crimson is your color.† Reminds me of the red dress you wore the first time that I had you.  That was it for me, you know.  You devastated me.  There was no coming back from that.

Hot airplane sex…!!!!

Eva believing her touch can erase Hugh’s touch for Gideon like he did for her in the library to erase Nathan’s touch.

Love love loved this chapter...!!!!!

Hi Barb

I believe not one of Gideon's former partners knew about his issues with that particular s*exual practice. Eva herself has to force him to it. She twice choses to ignore Gideon's pleas to stop.... and makes him cry.

Eva has cleansed him from Hugh's touch, and through his cry Gedeon is now free.

Hi Gabri,

That is what I thought too, in my thoughts on this chapter.  She has erased Hugh's touch for him like he erased Nathans touch for her in the library.

I also think that maybe he did not even know or had admitted to himself that he might enjoy the a*al play.

??

Yes I agree and second best is Chapter 19.  These 2 chapters say so much about the love and trust that they have fought so hard for, against all the obstacles in their ways.  :)

My order is chapter 18, 15 and then 19

I like 15 more than 19 because Gideon finally told Eva what she wanted to know. He said "ask me Eva NOW" . I love how he was ready to open up..!!

My order is chapter 18, 15 and then 19

I like 15 more than 19 because Gideon finally told Eva what she wanted to know. He said "ask me Eva NOW" . I love how he was ready to open up..!!

Yes he was willing to completely open himself to her in any way that she needed.  LOVE LOVE  :)  :)

Hi Gabri,

That is what I thought too, in my thoughts on this chapter.  She has erased Hugh's touch for him like he erased Nathans touch for her in the library.

I also think that maybe he did not even know or had admitted to himself that he might enjoy the a*al play.

??

Hi Barb

I believe no one does until he/she meets someone who can make him/her see it could be a pleasurable experience!!

Just love the next two chapters.

I thought the shell game was very cloak and dagger. To avoid being followed. Nice touch.

This plane trip was full of passion and compassion.

Gideon to Eva, (those cuffs were a lovely touch,) "never more than you can take, angel. I promise you that." This guy is awesome. Just love him. The way he introduces something new, but always makes sure her head is in the right place first.

What Eva did for Gideon, was the same as what he did for her in the library. To help take a step nearer him being healed. Her touch erasing Hugh's abuse. The way she helped him through his reluctance, talking and praising him, telling him how much she loved touching him. Mirroring her actions, so he could try and forget what was come. 69+!

My heart ached for him at the end of this chapter.

Gideon buried his damp face between my b r e a s t s and cried.

Sorry I'm late but I think there is a lot of important information in Chapter 17.  I was getting my thought together when unexpected company came forward.

I haven’t participated in this thread very much because I tend to pull what I know will happen into my thoughts.  However, I think this chapter has important information and asks questions that will be answered in future books.  It almost has the ring of a penultimate chapter, especially knowing what comes in the next chapter. The chapter picks up with Eva & Brett.

Eva & Brett & Arnoldo are at Tableau One

• Eva is still torn about her feelings for Brett.
  • She wants to be friends because he was important to her at one time.
  • Eva knows how it feels to not know what the person you love is doing with an ex so she picked a place where people Gideon know and trust could let him know that she was completely appropriate with Brett.
  • Arnoldo baby sits the couple 
  • It is obvious that Arnoldo still has mixed feelings about Eva. She said I’m no prize and Arnoldo gave her a look that let her know he wasn’t sure she was either.
  • Arnoldo noticed that she wasn’t eating,
  • Eva wonders if Brett recognizes how little they know about one another.

Eva & Brett & Deanna

• Eva invites Brett to her apartment (this is a bad move IMO) because she doesn’t know how to not invite him politely.
    • Deanna is stalking Eva and is happy to see her with Brett.
      • Brett acted like he didn’t know anything about the altercation with Gideon.
      • Deanna let Eva know that her photographer got pictures of her & Gideon
      • Asked about her relationship with Brett
      • Brett answered “I think Golden says it all.  We’ve got history and friendship.†(I hate this statement and I believe the lizard & jr will use it in the future.)
  • Eva
    • Feels guilty about inviting Brett in especially when she passes Gideon’s apartment.
    • Wonders if Gideon ever has these feelings with Corinne.
    • Felt sorry when BRETT decided to leave (I don’t understand these conflicting emotions for Eva.  Again I think it spells trouble in the future.)
  • Brett
    • Knows that Eva doesn’t like “Goldenâ€
    • He knows it is a personal video and thinks it proves that he hasn’t forgotten anything about Eva.  When in fact all he knows about Eva is sexual nothing personal.
    • Agreed to “hook up†per Brett but “meet up†per Eva in two weeks in San Diego
    • He then says one of my least favorite lines in the story thus far “I remember how you feel on the inside.  I can’t wait to feel it again.† I hate that Eva was breathing too fast at this point.  I would feel better if she were seething with anger. 
    • He wants Eva to call and she agrees.

Eva & Gideon

• As soon as Brett leaves Eva looks for Gideon.  Eva feels off but she wasn’t off when Brett was there. 
  • Gideon turns up when Eva is in the shower and joins her.
  • Gideon explains that Corinne called him hysterical.
  • It is interesting that Eva is jealous after spending so much time with Brett.
  • Eva thinks that Corinne made up a problem to pull Gideon to her. I agree.
  • Gideon called Giroux to come get his wife and explained that Corinne isn’t his responsibility.  Gideon is trying to release Corinne right when Eva is planning on spending time with Brett.
  • “It seems like so much is coming at us, doesn’t it?  We can’t catch a break.  If it’s not one thing, it’s another.† This statement is so true and an indication that the fight for their HEA is still going to be bumpy.

It was so sad to me when Eva woke up as Gideon was leaving and asks if he is leaving.  “Don’t ask me to stay.† It must be so hard for both of them.

Mark Garrity, Megumi (do we know her last name?), Eva, Mrs. Field

• Is this section just an insight into Eva’s work day or is it a indication of more ahead?
  • Mark is called to Mrs. Field’s office. We don’t know the reason but it is implied to talk about an account for which they submitted an RFP.
  • Monica called about lunch

Eva, Giroux, Gideon

• Jean Francois Giroux makes his first appearance.  He arrives in NYC after Gideon’s call.
  • Giroux is arguing with a guard because Gideon is late
  • Eva recognizes him and they have an unfriendly conversation.
  • Giroux is too forward and friendly with the introduction to Eva.
  • Giroux wants to meet with Eva and figures out she is going out of town with Gideon for the weekend Interesting conversation between Giroux & Eva.  “Does it not bother you that he used my wife to make you jealous and bring you back to him?†“Gideon wants to be friends with Corinne.  Friends spend time together.† “You’re blond, but surely you can’t be so naïve as to believe that.†“You’re stressed but surely you know you’re being an a s s.† (Love this response from Eva.)
  • Gideon walks in on the conversation and demands an apology.  He lets Giroux know that he always treated Corinne respectfully. 
  • Eva calms Gideon with a touch and the effect that Eva has on Gideon is noticed by Giroux.
  • After the apology Eva leaves with her mother.

Clancy, Monica and Eva

• Clancy:  This conversation is possibly a harbinger to a future reveal.  If it doesn’t have a hidden meaning it is definitely a strange interaction between Eva & Clancy.  How are you?  Eva asked   Clancy responded with a nod “And you/†Hanging in there?  You’ll be all right.† What is impressed me is that he sounded confident. 

Monica

• At lunch Monica isn’t acting as expected.  Eva expected her to ask if Gideon & Giroux would join them because she loves hanging with wealthy, powerful men.  When she didn’t Eva was perplexed. 
  • Commented on Eva’s new watch
  • Was horrified that Gideon knew about the tracker
  • Suggested that Gideon keeps secrets
  • “Everything I’ve done is for love.  Everything.â€
  • Admitted that she couldn’t be with Victor because he doesn’t have money and the money she has isn’t enough.
  • Appalled that Eva is considering living with Gideon. 
  • Monica is going to handle Gideon (little does she know that Gideon is way ahead of her)

Eva

• was angry with her mother
  • didn’t fill the silence (a normal response for her) Wanted her mother to state her case and set the topic for discussion. 
  • Called her mother on how she treated Victor. “You don’t love him enough.â€
  • Asked her mom why money was so important
  • Told her mom that she couldn’t live in the apartment anymore because Nathan is dead and she can’t live where her mom cheated on her husband.
  • Eva is surprised that her mom agrees with Gideon on marriage.

I'll be back shortly with Chapter 18 one of my favorite all time chapters.

Hi Julie, 

I just wonder why Jean Francois would say something like that.  I could see all of the other women; his mother, Magdalene, etc. thinking that brunettes were his preference but where would Jean Francois get that idea?  What do you think?

Hi Gigi .

He didnt call her blonde, because of her hair colouring, but he basically called her stupid, because she(Eva)commented on Gideon wanting to be friends with Corinne.

I just added the bit about the brunettes! Gideons now favourite choice of hair colouring!

:D

Sorry I'm late but I think there is a lot of important information in Chapter 17.  I was getting my thought together when unexpected company came forward.

I haven’t participated in this thread very much because I tend to pull what I know will happen into my thoughts.  However, I think this chapter has important information and asks questions that will be answered in future books.  It almost has the ring of a penultimate chapter, especially knowing what comes in the next chapter. The chapter picks up with Eva & Brett.

Eva & Brett & Arnoldo are at Tableau One

• Eva is still torn about her feelings for Brett.
  • She wants to be friends because he was important to her at one time.
  • Eva knows how it feels to not know what the person you love is doing with an ex so she picked a place where people Gideon know and trust could let him know that she was completely appropriate with Brett.
  • Arnoldo baby sits the couple 
  • It is obvious that Arnoldo still has mixed feelings about Eva. She said I’m no prize and Arnoldo gave her a look that let her know he wasn’t sure she was either.
  • Arnoldo noticed that she wasn’t eating,
  • Eva wonders if Brett recognizes how little they know about one another.

Eva & Brett & Deanna

• Eva invites Brett to her apartment (this is a bad move IMO) because she doesn’t know how to not invite him politely.
    • Deanna is stalking Eva and is happy to see her with Brett.
      • Brett acted like he didn’t know anything about the altercation with Gideon.
      • Deanna let Eva know that her photographer got pictures of her & Gideon
      • Asked about her relationship with Brett
      • Brett answered “I think Golden says it all.  We’ve got history and friendship.†(I hate this statement and I believe the lizard & jr will use it in the future.)
  • Eva
    • Feels guilty about inviting Brett in especially when she passes Gideon’s apartment.
    • Wonders if Gideon ever has these feelings with Corinne.
    • Felt sorry when BRETT decided to leave (I don’t understand these conflicting emotions for Eva.  Again I think it spells trouble in the future.)
  • Brett
    • Knows that Eva doesn’t like “Goldenâ€
    • He knows it is a personal video and thinks it proves that he hasn’t forgotten anything about Eva.  When in fact all he knows about Eva is sexual nothing personal.
    • Agreed to “hook up†per Brett but “meet up†per Eva in two weeks in San Diego
    • He then says one of my least favorite lines in the story thus far “I remember how you feel on the inside.  I can’t wait to feel it again.† I hate that Eva was breathing too fast at this point.  I would feel better if she were seething with anger. 
    • He wants Eva to call and she agrees.

Eva & Gideon

• As soon as Brett leaves Eva looks for Gideon.  Eva feels off but she wasn’t off when Brett was there. 
  • Gideon turns up when Eva is in the shower and joins her.
  • Gideon explains that Corinne called him hysterical.
  • It is interesting that Eva is jealous after spending so much time with Brett.
  • Eva thinks that Corinne made up a problem to pull Gideon to her. I agree.
  • Gideon called Giroux to come get his wife and explained that Corinne isn’t his responsibility.  Gideon is trying to release Corinne right when Eva is planning on spending time with Brett.
  • “It seems like so much is coming at us, doesn’t it?  We can’t catch a break.  If it’s not one thing, it’s another.† This statement is so true and an indication that the fight for their HEA is still going to be bumpy.

It was so sad to me when Eva woke up as Gideon was leaving and asks if he is leaving.  “Don’t ask me to stay.† It must be so hard for both of them.

Mark Garrity, Megumi (do we know her last name?), Eva, Mrs. Field

• Is this section just an insight into Eva’s work day or is it a indication of more ahead?
  • Mark is called to Mrs. Field’s office. We don’t know the reason but it is implied to talk about an account for which they submitted an RFP.
  • Monica called about lunch

Eva, Giroux, Gideon

• Jean Francois Giroux makes his first appearance.  He arrives in NYC after Gideon’s call.
  • Giroux is arguing with a guard because Gideon is late
  • Eva recognizes him and they have an unfriendly conversation.
  • Giroux is too forward and friendly with the introduction to Eva.
  • Giroux wants to meet with Eva and figures out she is going out of town with Gideon for the weekend Interesting conversation between Giroux & Eva.  “Does it not bother you that he used my wife to make you jealous and bring you back to him?†“Gideon wants to be friends with Corinne.  Friends spend time together.† “You’re blond, but surely you can’t be so naïve as to believe that.†“You’re stressed but surely you know you’re being an a s s.† (Love this response from Eva.)
  • Gideon walks in on the conversation and demands an apology.  He lets Giroux know that he always treated Corinne respectfully. 
  • Eva calms Gideon with a touch and the effect that Eva has on Gideon is noticed by Giroux.
  • After the apology Eva leaves with her mother.

Clancy, Monica and Eva

• Clancy:  This conversation is possibly a harbinger to a future reveal.  If it doesn’t have a hidden meaning it is definitely a strange interaction between Eva & Clancy.  How are you?  Eva asked   Clancy responded with a nod “And you/†Hanging in there?  You’ll be all right.† What is impressed me is that he sounded confident. 

Monica

• At lunch Monica isn’t acting as expected.  Eva expected her to ask if Gideon & Giroux would join them because she loves hanging with wealthy, powerful men.  When she didn’t Eva was perplexed. 
  • Commented on Eva’s new watch
  • Was horrified that Gideon knew about the tracker
  • Suggested that Gideon keeps secrets
  • “Everything I’ve done is for love.  Everything.â€
  • Admitted that she couldn’t be with Victor because he doesn’t have money and the money she has isn’t enough.
  • Appalled that Eva is considering living with Gideon. 
  • Monica is going to handle Gideon (little does she know that Gideon is way ahead of her)

Eva

• was angry with her mother
  • didn’t fill the silence (a normal response for her) Wanted her mother to state her case and set the topic for discussion. 
  • Called her mother on how she treated Victor. “You don’t love him enough.â€
  • Asked her mom why money was so important
  • Told her mom that she couldn’t live in the apartment anymore because Nathan is dead and she can’t live where her mom cheated on her husband.
  • Eva is surprised that her mom agrees with Gideon on marriage.

I'll be back shortly with Chapter 18 one of my favorite all time chapters.

Well it is never to late to share such interesting observation as yours!!  Enjoyed reading all of it and can't wait to read your chapter 18

:)  :) :)

Barb

Chapter 18. 

I think I've read this chapter and the next more than any other in the three books thus far. 

I love this chapter because we see Eva helping Gideon deal with some of his issues.  It compares to the garden party library scent to me.  In the library Gideon helps Eva move forward from Nathan.  In this chapter Eva helps Gideon move forward from Hugh. I see this as the true beginning of Gideon’s story being told.

This chapter flows from chapter 17 with Eva still perplexed about the lunch with her mother.

Eva, Gideon are the primary character of this chapter but Angus & Erik make small appearances.

• Angus is in a good mood when Eva gets in the car. (I think he knows something.)
  • Eva calls Cary and tells him to think about moving to another apartment. (She mentioned this to Cary but she didn’t include Gideon in the original move discussion.)
  • Gideon acknowledges that Eva is concerned and offers to investigate Monica.
  • Eva reluctantly agrees.  We can see that Eva really wants the people in her life to talk to her instead of making her research their lives.  It seems to me that Eva wants her loved ones to see how much she has grown and how she wants to be included in their lives as an adult.  She feels uncomfortable with the fact that the people most important to her make her sneaky.
  • Gideon tells Eva that Giroux wants to blame Gideon for the problems in the Giroux marriage.
  • Eva is surprised that Gideon suggests divorce for the Giroux’s.  Gideon doesn’t answer directly but focuses on Eva.  (I didn’t really like that answer.  It makes me think that Gideon is still holding back from Eva.)
  • There is an interesting “shell game†that Gideon uses to make sure they aren’t followed by the press.  He doesn’t want anyone to know they are out of town.   
  • Once on the plane both Gideon & Eva have a “Kingsman and cranberry†to drink.  (Love how Eva supports Gideon’s businesses).
  • Eva is aware how much Gideon likes control but he tests her by introducing her to “crimson†restraints.  Eva is concerned but Gideon reassures her that he will not take her where she isn’t ready.  She agrees to his plan; she knows Gideon would never hurt her.
  • Gideon doesn’t restrain Eva literally but puts her head in a restrained state of mind.

After their initial three hours of intimacy Eva has an idea to take Gideon to a place he has avoided.

• Eva recognized the fear in Gideon’s demeanor when she introduces that she “wants to be inside himâ€. 
  • Eva helps Gideon through his anxiety by showing him how much she loves him.  (I just love this about Eva. She understands Gideon so much and knows that he will do anything for her because of their shared love).
  • Gideon requested Eva to stop a couple times. She doesn’t comply.
  • Eva ignored Gideon’s request not to hurt him but to help him face his past.
  • Eva offers Gideon to take this journey together and they change positions.
  • Gideon’s actions are angry and rough.
  • Eva continues to be slow and loving.
  • After a mutually satisfying encounter Eva takes Gideon in her arms.
  • Gideon buries his face in her b reasts and cries.

This entire encounter is so beautifully written.  As a reader I felt Eva’s love for Gideon and how much she trusts him even though she is initially anxious.  At that point we are taken with Gideon to a very dark and fearful place but the love jumps off the pages.  These two broken individuals need each other and again that need is so all encompassing and we are allowed to voyeuristically experience their love. 

I have to admit that I cried with Gideon and hoped that we will see a turning point for this couple.  I want them to move their relationship forward and, while they can’t really forget their past, I want them to put it behind them, including their exes.  I know this won’t happen to quickly but I see it is a possibility because they are facing demons as mature adults.