SPOILERS: Entwined with You Overall Discussion

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Julie,

I was thinking about what you and others have said about Jean Francois and I wonder how much of a role he played in the demise of his marriage. It takes two to make a marriage and two to break a marriage. Could it be that Jean Francois neglected Corinne on the most elemental level or had foolishly deluded himself into thinking that everything was fine in his marriage? Could he have been sticking his head in the sand all along?

If your perspective is that Corinne was an evil so and so and everyone who came into contact with her should be pitied (just paraphrasing from postings that hate the character) then that’s fine. I won’t discuss this topic with you further. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

No matter what a pancake and every situation has two sides.

P.S. If Corinne was four months pregnant, how on earth did Jean Francois not know his wife was pregnant? Did he not notice anything? No swollen nipples? No morning sickness? No sensitivity to smells? Nothing? That doesn’t sound like a man who was very attentive to his wife. Corinne was in New York for only a short period of time. The rest of that pregnant time she would have been with Jean Francois (perhaps even having sex on occasion).

Hi Gigi

I agree. It takes two to make a marriage.

Corinne stated to Eva, that her husband was indifferent towards her, was that because she still held a torch for Gideon? After all Eva told Gideon that he was the ulitmate prize and women would be settling for second best if they couldn't have him. I think this was Corinnes problem. She wasn't happy settling for something less. I think when she found out she was pregnant, she planned to trap Gideon by seducing him, and playing the baby off as his. Trapping him into marriage. But her plan back fired. Eva happened.

By the time she turned up in New York, she was probably 2months pregnant. Still early days. Symptoms are different for all women. I never had morning sickness. She may have been lucky. This woman was manipulating situations constantly, Gideons guilt increasing because of her desperation and selfishness.

She needs to accept that the world doesn't revolve round her.

Hi Jeanmarie,

I think that given the situation, Gideon couldn’t have sent Eva a text. I really sat and thought about it and I wondered what would happen if Gideon got texts from untraceable cell phones. If the police were investigating him in secret, then it would only raise more suspicion. I think that it was just a bad situation all around. Do you know what I mean? I can definitely see your point though. Eva deserved a phone call or a text at the very least. I just don’t think that the circumstances permitted it. What do you think? What does everyone think?

Hi Gigi,

I think it is important to remember though, at this point Gideon & Eva's relationship is public knowledge (in fact they are married) a fact which can be found by anyone nosy enough to go looking through marriage records at City Hall. So a phone call or text message was certainly possible without raising any suspicions. However I personally believe if Gideon had contacted Eva she would have demanded to know where he was and what he was doing and that was not a conversation he wanted to have on the phone.

Also a few people were confused as to when Gideon had time to text Angus at the hospital to come and take Eva away. I assume this happened while she was talking to JFG and he was over talking to his mother and Corinne's parents. God knows what they were saying about Eva and the fact that she was there and that probably convinced him to send that message before someone confronted Eva and tried to blame Corinne's condition on her. What do you all think?

Also a few people were confused as to when Gideon had time to text Angus at the hospital to come and take Eva away. I assume this happened while she was talking to JFG and he was over talking to his mother and Corinne's parents. God knows what they were saying about Eva and the fact that she was there and that probably convinced him to send that message before someone confronted Eva and tried to blame Corinne's condition on her. What do you all think?

I agree with you that he had time to send the text. It would have been awkward to be there. I still don't think that Elizabeth should have called Gideon. Neither of them nor Eva should have made an appearance at the hospital. I thought that Gideon was going to be done with Corrine once and for all. I know that it seems harsh with her overdose, but I don't care. I wish he would resort to (what did Deanna call him?) 'iceman' with Corrine.

Hi Gigi,

I think it is important to remember though, at this point Gideon & Eva's relationship is public knowledge (in fact they are married) a fact which can be found by anyone nosy enough to go looking through marriage records at City Hall. So a phone call or text message was certainly possible without raising any suspicions. However I personally believe if Gideon had contacted Eva she would have demanded to know where he was and what he was doing and that was not a conversation he wanted to have on the phone.

i agree

I think Gideon handled the hospital visit badly. Ignoring Eva was wrong. Elizabeth shouldn't have contacted Gideon, but in their defence, they still don't know that Eva and Gideon are together again. Let alone married.

Angus knows how Gideon operates. Twice Angus has had to remove Eva from a situation, the first being the concert punch up. I think also Gideon didn't want Eva to be confronted by the parents over Corinnes condition. Eva knows what it's like to lose a baby, another reason for her to be removed. Gideons secrecy had him regressing back to his old ways, of protecting Eva.

Sorry I'm jumping in and out of the discussion but has anyone talked about Megumi,

I think she is in an abusive relationship with Michael.  At first I thought it was CVjr. but now I think it is someone else.  I think when Lacey returns she will find Megumi beaten and report back to Martin and Eva.

Also, I think Christopher Jr. knows about the sex tape and is going to try to get it and release it.  I wonder if that is why Elizabeth said she knows about Eva and the rocker.

I agree with all of this Sharon!!

Worryingly if Chris Vidal as the sex tape, that will give him a huge advantage over Gideon, who will do everything to protect Eva. Bad move Chris.

There's going to be a blow up with them & I can't wait. It's going to be like a car crash & I won't be able to look away.

I have to say no. Saying that though I am confused as to why she agreed to see him when she was in SD. Her and Gideon are married for goodness sakes. I do think subconsciously she is doing this to get even with Gideon, but I am over Brett. Eva could never date someone like Brett. She is way to jealous and insecure. She'd be thinking about all of those girls backstage while he is out on tour.

I agree that even if Gideon were not in the picture, Eva still would not be with Brett. She knows herself that a relationship between them would be a bad idea for a number of reasons, mainly...

1. Her jealousy and insecurity could not handle dating someone with that kind of lifestyle.

2. A fear of regressing to her old ways. Eva does not like the person she was when she was with Brett 4 years ago. She has no desire to ever be that person again.

One thing I think people keep forgetting though is that Gideon & Eva were not married when she agreed to meet up with Brett in SD. The only contact she has had with Brett since marrying Gideon is sending him a smiley face text message - which was a way for her to keep her promise to him (that she would make contact and not always wait for him to initiate) without actually calling him up or having any real contact.

I definitely think she will meet Brett alone in SD. They need to talk about the sex tape face-to-face so that they can both gauge each others honest reactions about the situation. I also think they need to meet one more time now that Eva can finally be totally honest with Brett and make it quite clear just how serious she and Gideon are.

I get why people are mad at Eva for her interaction with Brett in this book, and to be honest the thoughts of how sexy he was me off too. But, we need to remember:

The first time Brett & Eva had a proper conversation (when she took him to lunch)- she was unsure of Gideon, he had taken Corinne to dinner the night before, he wouldnt talk to her - but she still Brett she was in love with Gideon.

The next time the talk on the phone - she says she'll only go to the Golden event id he is ok with them being friends. She even goes so far as to say she doesn't want to lead him on (ie nothing will happen between them, she's not interested)

The Golden event - this is the first time Gideon & Eva are seen back in public together. In fact publicly its supposed to be the night they reconcile. Therefore Eva tells Brett that she loves Gideon and is giving him another chance, but there is only so much she can say, she has to be cautious of anyone finding out they've been together for a while

Does anyone get where I'm coming from?

Hi Rogue,

What you describe as a long distance friendship doesn’t really sound like a friendship at all.  It actually sounds like someone who is being civilized when seeing someone they once knew; sort of like a hi and bye type of greeting.  You know the “how nice to see you†or “how is the wife and children†or “how is businessâ€.  When all is said and done it more of an; “it was nice to see you†type of greeting.  What do you think?  What does everyone think?

Hi Gigi,

Yes that's what I assumed he meant when he told Corinne he wanted to be long distance friends. Either that or he meant for her to clear off back to France and make it a proper long distance LOL

I really can't see how any other type of friendship would be possible for Gideon & Corinne now. They move in the same social circles (when she is in N.Y. at least) and it would be rude and awkward if they were to totally ignore one another at events, but I think social niceties will be as far as their communication extends going forward.

I agree that even if Gideon were not in the picture, Eva still would not be with Brett. She knows herself that a relationship between them would be a bad idea for a number of reasons, mainly...

1. Her jealousy and insecurity could not handle dating someone with that kind of lifestyle.

2. A fear of regressing to her old ways. Eva does not like the person she was when she was with Brett 4 years ago. She has no desire to ever be that person again.

One thing I think people keep forgetting though is that Gideon & Eva were not married when she agreed to meet up with Brett in SD. The only contact she has had with Brett since marrying Gideon is sending him a smiley face text message - which was a way for her to keep her promise to him (that she would make contact and not always wait for him to initiate) without actually calling him up or having any real contact.

I definitely think she will meet Brett alone in SD. They need to talk about the sex tape face-to-face so that they can both gauge each others honest reactions about the situation. I also think they need to meet one more time now that Eva can finally be totally honest with Brett and make it quite clear just how serious she and Gideon are.

I get why people are mad at Eva for her interaction with Brett in this book, and to be honest the thoughts of how sexy he was ###### me off too. But, we need to remember:

The first time Brett & Eva had a proper conversation (when she took him to lunch)- she was unsure of Gideon, he had taken Corinne to dinner the night before, he wouldnt talk to her - but she still Brett she was in love with Gideon.

The next time the talk on the phone - she says she'll only go to the Golden event id he is ok with them being friends. She even goes so far as to say she doesn't want to lead him on (ie nothing will happen between them, she's not interested)

The Golden event - this is the first time Gideon & Eva are seen back in public together. In fact publicly its supposed to be the night they reconcile. Therefore Eva tells Brett that she loves Gideon and is giving him another chance, but there is only so much she can say, she has to be cautious of anyone finding out they've been together for a while

Gotcha.. But y u up so early..!! Lol

Most definitely .... you make some excellent points. All along, Eva has straight-up told Brett there's no chance she'd ever get back together with him.

BUT ....

She's sending the poor guy mixed signals. She's almost as guilty as Gideon when it comes to how he interacted with Corrine. He kept telling her they (he and Corrine) would never be more than friends, and he made clear to Corrine how special Eva is to him. Yet by continuing to have contact with Corrine period, knowing Corrine was in love with him and obviously had an agenda of getting back together with him, he fed her false hope.

Gideon's more guilty of Eva in that he actually consciously -- calculatedly -- sent Corrine mixed messages once he started using Corrine in order to protect Eva. He admitted as much to Eva later. And he continued to try to "be a friend" after he dumped Corrine, waiting far too long to finally call in Jean-Francois. Eva warned him from day one (er, make that night one) that Corrine calling Gideon daily was stalking. So any contact whatsoever with Corrine served only to feed the crazy.

Minus the crazy stalking, the exact same dynamic is going on with Eva paying any attention at all to Brett. All it's serving to do is to feed his hopes he has a shot at Eva. Brett keeps telling her he wants her back. She needs to do exactly what she asked Gideon to do that first night she'd met Corrine -- nip his hopes in the bud and start weaning him off.

I'm convinced what's going on is Eva is still working through her insecurity and jealousy issues. What Gideon did to her triggered Eva on her deepest levels. In the past, her being triggered in general is why she subconsciously punished Gideon by kissing Brett and then cold-calculatedly punished Gideon for taking Corrine out to dinner. Eva's much stronger now and at last trusts Gideon does love her. But those bleeding wounds he inflicted are not healed yet -- and thus Brett. Brett's the way she's working through her issues, I think.

Not the best way to do it ... but she'll have the strength to walk away in the end, as soon as she gets the hurt out of her system. And she won't ever -- EVER -- cheat on Gideon, not physically and not emotionally.

i agree

I think Gideon handled the hospital visit badly. Ignoring Eva was wrong. Elizabeth shouldn't have contacted Gideon, but in their defence, they still don't know that Eva and Gideon are together again. Let alone married.

Angus knows how Gideon operates. Twice Angus has had to remove Eva from a situation, the first being the concert punch up. I think also Gideon didn't want Eva to be confronted by the parents over Corinnes condition. Eva knows what it's like to lose a baby, another reason for her to be removed. Gideons secrecy had him regressing back to his old ways, of protecting Eva.

Your post made something fall into place for me ... about how the first time Gideon had Angus remove Eva from his (Gideon's) presence, Gideon was in a situation involving physical violence. Same deal at the hospital ... Gideon in an actual fist fight.

Granted, Gideon Fights Round Two involved him being attacked (by Jean-Francois) and engaging in self defense, where Gideon Fights Round One involved him being the attacker and Brett the one fighting back in self defense. 

But connecting the dots between the two, I now see that Gideon does not want Eva anywhere near him when he is physically violent. Not just when he's lashing out deeply asleep and in the middle of an atypical sexual parasomnia incident -- also when he's full awake and exchanging blows with someone.

Gideon did find out that Anne & Hugh's entire family worked in mental health. The question is -- when did he learn that?

I hate to think that Gideon told another one of his half truths ... told Eva (correctly) getting even with Dr. Terry Lucas was a motive for him f****** Anne. But what if there was a double-motive involved -- f***** Anne because of what her brother did to him?

Gideon seeks revenge on those people who hurt him but he doesn't actively try to hurt innocent parties , although his actions often cause him to do so.

He sought out, Hugh warned him that he would do everything in his power to stop this happening to someone else. Hugh then chose to end his own life, whether that was throught guilt, remorse or losing his career he had worked so long for we probably will never know.

Gideon feels guilty for hurting Hugh's wife and child as he feels responsible for the man's suicide, which to me gives great insight into Gideon's character especially given what Hugh put him through.

Gideon also sought revenge on Dr Terry Lucas by sleeping with his wife. It is important to remember that it was not Gideon who initiated that relationship though, it was Anne. Gideon simply took advantage of an opportunity that presented itself to hurt this man in the same manner Terry had hurt him. Again, he feels guilty that Anne got hurt by his actions even though she was the one who came onto him.

If Anne had never approached Gideon I believe he would have taken revenge on Dr Lucas through work somehow (Gideon owns the building where Terry works) but I don't think Gideon has any desire to deliberatly punish or seek revenge on anyone except those who personally caused him harm.

Gideon seeks revenge on those people who hurt him but he doesn't actively try to hurt innocent parties , although his actions often cause him to do so.

He sought out, Hugh warned him that he would do everything in his power to stop this happening to someone else. Hugh then chose to end his own life, whether that was throught guilt, remorse or losing his career he had worked so long for we probably will never know.

Gideon feels guilty for hurting Hugh's wife and child as he feels responsible for the man's suicide, which to me gives great insight into Gideon's character especially given what Hugh put him through.

Gideon also sought revenge on Dr Terry Lucas by sleeping with his wife. It is important to remember that it was not Gideon who initiated that relationship though, it was Anne. Gideon simply took advantage of an opportunity that presented itself to hurt this man in the same manner Terry had hurt him. Again, he feels guilty that Anne got hurt by his actions even though she was the one who came onto him.

If Anne had never approached Gideon I believe he would have taken revenge on Dr Lucas through work somehow (Gideon owns the building where Terry works) but I don't think Gideon has any desire to deliberatly punish or seek revenge on anyone except those who personally caused him harm.

When Gideon found out about Corrine's Stunt # 2 (her trying to trick Eva into thinking Gideon had just spent 20-plus minutes screwing her (Corrine's) brains out in Corrine's own bed) a great deal of his guilt evaporated. He decided then and there he wanted no further contact with Corrine. Alas, it wasn't that easy.

I'm hoping Gideon is going to find out Dr. Anne Lucas, M.D., psychiatrist, deliberately fed anti-depressants to the clinically depressed Corrine in a way to turn Corrine full-blown suicidal. That knowledge could do a great deal to alleviate the guilt Gideon has over the suicide attempt -- and as a two-fer, stop him from feeling guilty that he'd made Anne collateral damage in his vendetta against Terry Lucas. Because if it's true that Anne did it (tried to literally help kill Corrine) then Anne is every bit as evil as Hugh was. Gideon might rethink Anne's seduction of him.

Excellent point .... Elizabeth has got a lot of explaining to do. She said two pediatricians examined him.

I wonder whether it might have gone down like this:

• Suspicions come up while the abuse is still at the stage where Hugh is performing hand jobs on Gideon, something that would not leave marks.
  • Pediatrician #1 examines Gideon and honestly does not find marks. But this doctors does violate ethics and the law by keeping the "investigation" a secret instead of performing mandatory reporting to child protective services.
  • Hugh is continued to allowed access to Gideon. Now thinking the coast is clear, he escalates the abuse to forcible penetration.
  • Something prompts Elizabeth to seek a second opinion -- perhaps some radical changes for the worse in Gideon's mental state?
  • Terry Lucas is the second pediatrician. He does find evidence of abuse -- but he tells Elizabeth he didn't. Worse, he works hard to convince Elizabeth that Gideon is a liar, in order to stop Elizabeth from investigating any further.

I agree LN, this is exactly the course of events that I had in mind. I also think it is why Gideon has not / is not seeking revenge against pediatrician #1. In his eyes that man didn't really do anything wrong except possibly not reporting the accusation to child services. Pediatrician #1s reasons for doing so could be understood though, as if there is no evidence why make an accusation that could tarnish someones reputation (a pretty serious thing for someone in that field) when there is no proof.

I agree LN, this is exactly the course of events that I had in mind. I also think it is why Gideon has not / is not seeking revenge against pediatrician #1. In his eyes that man didn't really do anything wrong except possibly not reporting the accusation to child services. Pediatrician #1s reasons for doing so could be understood though, as if there is no evidence why make an accusation that could tarnish someones reputation (a pretty serious thing for someone in that field) when there is no proof.

I initially feared Christopher Vidal Sr. bribed both pediatricians to keep their mouths shut -- that Christopher was some sort of Evil Stepfather.

But I was relieved to learn in Entwined that Christopher Sr. -- Chris as he likes to be called -- actually seems to be an OK guy who respects Gideon's genius for business so much to seek Gideon's help and advice, and yet a caring parent enough to be sensitive to situations where he, through no fault of his own, gets caught in the middle of the sibling rivalry between his son, Christopher Jr., and his stepson, Gideon.

I can now see Chris convincing the first doctor to bend the law about the mandatory reporting to child protective services mere suspicions child sexual abuse is going on. If the doctor honestly found no physical signs of trauma, was convinced that a possible alternate explanation was that the child already had pre-existing serious problems (which Gideon did stemming from his father's death) and that the real possibility existed that public scandal might happen (thereby even further damaging the child) .... well ... a doctor might decide that in this case, more harm than good could come of going to the authorities. Having satisfied his/her own conscience (lack of physical trauma signs) he/she could have decided to let the matter be.

I get why people are mad at Eva for her interaction with Brett in this book, and to be honest the thoughts of how sexy he was ###### me off too. But, we need to remember:

Totally agree.

You said it all. :)

Your post made something fall into place for me ... about how the first time Gideon had Angus remove Eva from his (Gideon's) presence, Gideon was in a situation involving physical violence. Same deal at the hospital ... Gideon in an actual fist fight.

Granted, Gideon Fights Round Two involved him being attacked (by Jean-Francois) and engaging in self defense, where Gideon Fights Round One involved him being the attacker and Brett the one fighting back in self defense.

But connecting the dots between the two, I now see that Gideon does not want Eva anywhere near him when he is physically violent. Not just when he's lashing out deeply asleep and in the middle of an atypical sexual parasomnia incident -- also when he's full awake and exchanging blows with someone.

We are on the same page here. :)

Also Gideon has stated that there are aspects of him that he doesn't want Eva to see.

When Gideon found out about Corrine's Stunt # 2 (her trying to trick Eva into thinking Gideon had just spent 20-plus minutes screwing her (Corrine's) brains out in Corrine's own bed) a great deal of his guilt evaporated. He decided then and there he wanted no further contact with Corrine. Alas, it wasn't that easy.

I'm hoping Gideon is going to find out Dr. Anne Lucas, M.D., psychiatrist, deliberately fed anti-depressants to the clinically depressed Corrine in a way to turn Corrine full-blown suicidal. That knowledge could do a great deal to alleviate the guilt Gideon has over the suicide attempt -- and as a two-fer, stop him from feeling guilty that he'd made Anne collateral damage in his vendetta against Terry Lucas. Because if it's true that Anne did it (tried to literally help kill Corrine) then Anne is every bit as evil as Hugh was. Gideon might rethink Anne's seduction of him.

I'm still not convinced that Anne is Corinne's doctor. I can't figure out how they would have met and it seems a little convenient that if Corinne sought out medical help she would have just walked into Anne's practice. I also don't believe Anne was Elizabeth's shrink so I doubt she recommended / introduced them.

Also, surely Gideon would have seen Corinne's pills on the night he found out she was taking them (the name of the prescribing Dr would have been on the bottle) or the name of her shrink would have been mentioned somewhere in conversation (Gideon was there for hours talking about how she's been acting, her medication etc...) It all feels a little incestuous, Corinne seeks medical help and it just happens to be the one shrink in town that Gideon has f*****.

Not that I wouldnt like some of what you've said to be true. If Gideon's guilt over both situations could be reduced / removed I think it would certainly help his recovery & remove some of hos self loathing.

Not that I'm saying pediatrician #1 was right, if he/she decided more harm than good could come of reporting Gideon's case to child protective services. Had the doctor done so, I think he/she would have prevented the abuse continuing -- and escalating from hand jobs to forcible anal penetration.

But in the real world, people do make their own judgment calls, using what they think is common sense over rules. If the doctor honestly believed that all an investigation might accomplish is to spark a scandal that would uneccessarily further damage a child already badly hurt by scandal ... well .... it make sense how Gideon fell through the cracks. The doctor made a judgment call that turned out to be the wrong call.

At some point or points in our lives, every single one of us, when faced with a tough choice, makes what we believe is the right choice but turns out to be the wrong choice.

I think that a lot of people have forgotten that when Brett first came back in the picture, Eva tried very hard to not see him and several times tried to go wait in the limousine. Her kissing Brett back after he grabbed her was a sudden impulse, caused perhaps by a lot of mixed emotions. Eva certainly didn't have more than a moment or two to think about or plan either Brett's or Gideon's likely reactions to it. Lunch with Brett was not planned and Eva certainly had every right to sit down in public with an old love and try to talk things over, maybe even apologize or whatever. And in that instance I'm sure she was also glad that Gideon was getting a taste of his own medicine.

I also think Eva' s self perception was being helped by Brett saying that he had always had feelings for her and had just been too immature to express them at the time. I think Eva was deeply hurt, almost traumatized by the way Brett treated her and hearing herself talked about to one of Brett's buddies. You can imagine how crudely he would have spoken. We know how guys can be. And Eva has said how desperately she tried to make Brett love and want her. She put everything she had into it. He definitely wasn't just one of the guys she took home for one night. I think she has all kinds of remnants left to deal with from that period and I'm glad she can maybe look back on that time period in a better frame of mind - at least with regard to her, perhaps, first love.

As for Brett, I think there's than a little of that Michael guy dynamic going on. He wants Eva bad, knowing she's taken, and then when he has her, he'll end up blowing hot and cold, especially when he's spending so much time on the road and surrounded by available women. Sure Eva is sending him some mixed signals, she's pretty confused all round right now. And, yes I think she'll still a little attracted to him on a physical level - she's a very physical person. But I don't think that means she doesn't love Gideon or would cheat with Brett. And, god, is she being pulled in a lot of different directions by a lot of different people.

Eva has still a long way to go to resolving her issues. When she told Gideon about Corinnes stunts, she said she was still hurting over the "office nooner". Even though she knew the real truth now. Her hurt is deep, the wounds healing slowly.

She desperately needs a chat with Dr Travis, which I hope we get in book 4. Since leaving SD she as had just the occasional chat with Dr Petersen.

Also she now has Gideons abuse issues to help him resolve. She wants him healthy and whole again. To be able to move forward.