SPOILERS: Entwined with You Overall Discussion

Hello Ladies- I'm leaving for the beach tomorrow for a week and I've made a momentous decision! :). I'm going to leave my Crossfire books behind. I don't think I've gone more than a couple of days without at least a taste, since I discovered them in the spring. So it will be cold turkey. There is wifi where I'm staying so I will have to subsist on board comments and Sheen's luscious photos. I may have to go back into the Chapter a Day favorite quotes section if I get desperate for a fix. Wish me luck. Nancy

Have a great vacation and get-a-away.  It will give your brain a little bit of extra perspective when you pick the books up again and maybe you will find the answers to the many questions we all have. 

Enjoy and relax

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't mind the british speak at all but I have criticized the books for other reasons. I also read all three.

I wanted comment on this, because I have been told by many that I am a very detail oriented person and reading is included in my detail orientedness.  With that said I live, was born and raised in Portland, Oregon proper and have been to Seattle (and Vancouver), Washington more times than I can count.

I feel like E.L. did a really good job of accurately portraying and talking/writing about the pacific NW and to think that she had never been here prior to writing the books.  There was only one geographical mistake that I picked up in the 4 times I read and at least that many times I listened to the audio book. 

I will not comment on the writing because that is subjective.

I hope I didn't give the wrong impression.  My original comment was about the critics of the book and what the complaints were.  I love FSOG and the characters are some of my favorites of all time.  I have read the entire trilogy 4 or 5 times and there are sections that I go back to when I need a feel good read. (Although I read Crossfire more these days.) 

Hi ladies--

Just a brief comment.  I think EL did an amazing job of creating 2 intriguing characters.  CG is so complicated and fascinating.  She spent a lot of time developing her characters and her descriptions of the Pacific NW were spot on.  Lots of research.  Because of that when I read those Britishisms, it was disruptive.  I don't think she even realized she did it.  That is where an editor is needed to pick up this stuff and make those minor changes.  We don't use them here so they stuck out like a sore thumb.  Doesn't change the storyline or anything.  It did give critics---who I don't care for at all--something to bite into.  To be honest, when I started reading Sylvia, her attention to detail is one of the things that hooked me.  

I agree

I hope I didn't give the wrong impression.  My original comment was about the critics of the book and what the complaints were.  I love FSOG and the characters are some of my favorites of all time.  I have read the entire trilogy 4 or 5 times and there are sections that I go back to when I need a feel good read. (Although I read Crossfire more these days.) 

I agree with you Sharon I absolutely love FSOG and Christian and Ana and I too go back and read passages or sometimes an entire book.  :)

I guess I am the only person who never read any of the TWILIGHT stuff. I thought it was aimed at younger girls? I did read that FSOG was based on ff but that just confused me since it is hardly for young girls. I did also read that Gabriel was based on ff but for the life of me I don't see a resemblance between Gabriel and Christian so I am not sure of the relationship. I did read that Henry had been considered for Edward. Since I never read the books, I don't know if the right choice was made. Henry is very male to me and Pattison is boyish. JMHO

I haven't read or seen Twilight either.

I agree with you Sharon I absolutely love FSOG and Christian and Ana and I too go back and read passages or sometimes an entire book.  :)

Ditto this Sharon and Barb I am really into GidEva these days but I never forget about Christian and Ana and sometimes make comparisons in my mind while reading...

I'm back ladies!! Vacation was wonderful, but i did miss you ladies:) Looks like i have A LOT of catching up to do!!!

Welcome back, we missed ya, forum has been a little quiet the last week or so.  

Sylvia will be releasing snippets for Captivated with you after the release of Afterburn which is Aug 15th.  Then we will have new things to pick apart  :)

Hi GiGi!

Totally my bad, i totally forgot he was a kids doc. But still he could have messed something up with tests behind the scenes. Especially if the theory is correct that Anne isCorrine her psych.After all we read this whole situation through Eva her eyes.

Hi Moonfeather, 

It's all good.  There have been so many theories tossed about in the forum that it wouldn't surprise me if Dr. Lucas had a "secondary medical practice" treating patients other than children.  I have learned with Sylvia's writing to expect the unexpected.

I don't think that Dr. Anne Lucas has treated either Elizabeth Vidal or Corrinne Giroux.  Gideon has spent too much time with Corrinne talking about her depression and medication; I can't believe her doctor hasn't come up at all.  Mr. Control would definitely have noticed if his ex-fiance mentioned Dr. Lucas, and her name would be on any prescription bottles.

And Gideon's abuse probably started about 18 years ago, when Anne Lucas must have been in her early-to-mid-twenties.  That's too young for her to have been the more experienced psychiatrist supervising a psychiatrist-in-training.  Psychiatrists are physcians who go to university (~4 years), medical school (4 years), and then through a residency program (~3 years) before sitting for board certification exams.  (And that's putting aside the unlikelihood of one sibling training another directly like that.  And the unlikelihood of Gideon not remembering her/not having looked up who she was.)

Hi Sarah, 

Good points.

I think the criticism was due to the fact that the setting of the book was Seattle/Portland area.  When I read it there were some things that confused me and then after I looked up the meanings, I thought no one born in Washington, or any where in the US would say that.  I was taught in creative writing to stick with what you know so the story is realistic.  If the setting were London or Toronto it would have been more realistic.  That said the use of British speak was insignificant to those of us who loved the story.  In my opinion, the reason the books were so well loved is because the characters were so real and loveable.   These comments were usually from writers who couldn't look past the grammar, typos, setting inconsistencies, etc.

Hi Sharon, 

Thank you for your perspective.  It is always interesting to see how another person sees a book.  You also actually read the books so your perspective (as are all of the other ladies who read the books too) is all the more insightful and articulate.  Thank you.

I knew that relationship screamed publicity stunt... but it lasting only two weeks is weird. Hopefully he's taking a long break from dating because his turnaround time between women is rather short. How can you go from being engaged for a year and then a month or two later date a woman for almost a year break up and then a month later date another one... just an observation...

Hi Claudine,

What would the point be of a publicity stunt?  The only thing I can think is that his last girlfriend gave him a matching set of bruises as a parting gift for breaking her heart (just kidding maybe ;)). 

Hello Ladies- I'm leaving for the beach tomorrow for a week and I've made a momentous decision! :). I'm going to leave my Crossfire books behind. I don't think I've gone more than a couple of days without at least a taste, since I discovered them in the spring. So it will be cold turkey. There is wifi where I'm staying so I will have to subsist on board comments and Sheen's luscious photos. I may have to go back into the Chapter a Day favorite quotes section if I get desperate for a fix. Wish me luck. Nancy

Hi Nancy, 

Have a good vacation!  I have every faith that you will get through your withdrawls of Gideon and Eva.  You may even enjoy your vacation in the meantime.  :)

Hi Jerseygurl, 

That's the big question.  Some forum members believe that Anne Lucas may have been the one treating Elizabeth Vidal while others don't think that she was the psychiatrist treating Gideon's mother.  It would be a little more than creepy if Gideon slept with the woman who was treating his mother, whose brother abused him, all while her husband covered up Gideon's abuse.  It can make a person dizzy just thinking about it.  :)

No I think some forum members think that Anne Lucas is CURRENTLY Elizabeth's therapist but not back then...We think Anne would have been too young...

Hi Nancy, 

Have a good vacation!  I have every faith that you will get through your withdrawls of Gideon and Eva.  You may even enjoy your vacation in the meantime.  :)

Hi Nancy I just returned from a beach vacation and I have to say I was busy with my daughter enjoying all the beach activities and wonderful weather so I didn't need my GidEva fix!!! I'm sure you will be fine!!! Enjoy!! :). :).

This is for  all the fans of FSOG and non readers of the twilight series.

Yesi I've read it to that E.L James wrote FSOG as an adult fanfiction version of the Twilightseries. I believe that some of the original writings are still floating on the internet somehwere. Now I haven't read Twilight, but I've seen the movies and listen to some audio books, but I did read FSOG. I can see how Twilight was used as in inspiration to write FSOG; i shall do my best to explain it but it will be a shortcut though. ( it can contains spoilers!!!)

Twilight:

* Is set in Forks, Washington, with Seattle as the biggest main town

* A love between a human girl Bella ( she is 17-18 years old ) and a Vampire Edward ( he was transformed into a vampire at the age of 17 but in actual human years he is 109, but he still looks 17 because vampire don't age after transformation)

* Edward wants and loves Bella, but is also affraid to ruin her soul and at some points he thinks he isn't good enough for her and wishes for her a happy human life and to be pure.

* Bella wants to become a vampire so she can spend forever with Edward, she isn't affraid of him , eventhough he must drink blood to survive.

* Bella is a bit of a tomboy, she is very clumsy, two left feet, not very fashionable, brown hair, brown eyes

* Edward has "out of bed" hair

* When they break up at one point, Bella is devistated and is pretty much a living zombie

* Problems are usually caused by a third party ( Victoria other vampire not realted to Edward, the Volturi the vampire bosses )

* Bella gets preggers

* They live happy ever after

* There is another guy who is in love with Bella, Jacob ( a werewolf )

* Bellas' father loves fishing

FSOG:

* Set in Seattle, Washington and Portland, Oregon

* A love between an English student Ana ( 22 yrs old ) and Christian ( 26 or 28 (?) yrs old )

* Christian wants and loves Ana, but doens't want to taint her with his past, he wants her to be pure

* Ana want to get to the core of Christian no matter what

* Ana is clumsy also, not very fashionable either, brown hair, blue eyes

* Christian has messy hair aswell

* Ana is also a living zombie during the break up with Christian

* Problems are usually caused by a third party ( Leila, Mrs Robinson, Ana her boss Jack, is i remember correctly )

* Ana gets preggers

* There is another guy who is in love with Ana ( that Latino guy )

* Anas'father loves fishing

I know that a lot of what i typed can apply to many lovestories, but i hope you get the general idea.

Hi Chiara,

I was thinking about what you posted and you make many good points.  I wonder if Eva is too busy trying to manage a crisis instead of sitting back and looking at the bigger picture?  Do you know what I mean?  Instead of realizing that she still has unresolved issues with Brett, she sees Deanna in her apartment lobby and makes a split decision to take Brett upstairs because that the only way that she knows how to manage an already bad situation.  Brett, thus far has been a loose cannon and has openly stated that he wants Eva back and will do everything in his power to make that happen. 

So Eva realizing this decides to "manage" the situation and takes Brett upstairs with her instead of leaving a guy who has obvious feelings for her downstairs with a woman who obviously and clearly hates the man that Eva loves...Gideon.  What do you think?

I agree. I think Eva made a snap decision, not thinking about how it would look to Brett or others.

This is for  all the fans of FSOG and non readers of the twilight series.

Yesi I've read it to that E.L James wrote FSOG as an adult fanfiction version of the Twilightseries. I believe that some of the original writings are still floating on the internet somehwere. Now I haven't read Twilight, but I've seen the movies and listen to some audio books, but I did read FSOG. I can see how Twilight was used as in inspiration to write FSOG; i shall do my best to explain it but it will be a shortcut though. ( it can contains spoilers!!!)

Twilight:

* Is set in Forks, Washington, with Seattle as the biggest main town

* A love between a human girl Bella ( she is 17-18 years old ) and a Vampire Edward ( he was transformed into a vampire at the age of 17 but in actual human years he is 109, but he still looks 17 because vampire don't age after transformation)

* Edward wants and loves Bella, but is also affraid to ruin her soul and at some points he thinks he isn't good enough for her and wishes for her a happy human life and to be pure.

* Bella wants to become a vampire so she can spend forever with Edward, she isn't affraid of him , eventhough he must drink blood to survive.

* Bella is a bit of a tomboy, she is very clumsy, two left feet, not very fashionable, brown hair, brown eyes

* Edward has "out of bed" hair

* When they break up at one point, Bella is devistated and is pretty much a living zombie

* Problems are usually caused by a third party ( Victoria other vampire not realted to Edward, the Volturi the vampire bosses )

* Bella gets preggers

* There is another guy who is in love with Bella, Jacob ( a werewolf )

* Bellas' father loves fishing

FSOG:

* Set in Seattle, Washington and Portland, Oregon

* A love between an English student Ana ( 22 yrs old ) and Christian ( 26 or 28 (?) yrs old )

* Christian wants and loves Ana, but doens't want to taint her with his past, he wants her to be pure

* Ana want to get to the core of Christian no matter what

* Ana is clumsy also, not very fashionable either, brown hair, blue eyes

* Christian has messy hair aswell

* Ana is also a living zombie during the break up with Christian

* Problems are usually caused by a third party ( Leila, Mrs Robinson, Ana her boss Jack, is i remember correctly )

* Ana gets preggers

* There is another guy who is in love with Ana ( that Latino guy )

* Anas'father loves fishing

I know that a lot of what i typed can apply to many lovestories, but i hope you get the general idea.

You missed some.  My daughter read Twilight but I wasn't interested until after I read FSOG.  The only reason I read the book was to see if I could see the similarities.

• The description of the Cullen home is very similar to Christian's penthouse especially the floor to ceiling windows in the bedroom & living room, furniture, piano.
  • Security by being removed from others (penthouse or middle of the woods)
  • Music and skills playing the piano is a gift both Christian & Edward posses.
  • Ana went on a trip to visit her mom on the beaches of N.C. Bella escaped to her mom's on the beaches of Fl.
  • Ana saved Mia and Christian by facing Jack even though Christian thought she was too weak to take care of herself.  Bella saved the Cullen's with skills that they didn't think she had.
  • Christian is adopted by a doctor who saved him when he was a child.  Edward is "adopted" by a doctor who saved him as a child.

There are others but I can't think of them right now.  I read FSOG multiple times but I only read Twilight once and it was awhile ago.