Crossfire Series Questions for SYLVIA

Kirsten

Question

This thread is being started so we can all have a place to put our questions that we want Sylvia to answer. Obviously she will not be able to answer all since we have two more book to go... YAY!

My question still is what was with the back and forth between Gideon and Elizabeth regarding Cary at the garden party?

It is obvious that Gideon and Angus have a very close relationship, will we find out more about it, it book 4 or 5?

• Answers 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I would like to ask Sylvia why Elizabeth Vidal aka MILFH touched Eva in that strange way at the Garden Party running her hands up and down Eva's arms like she wasn't real ... Who does that to someone they have just met for the first time?

I know-creepy right?

I have no triggers, but that would weird me out!

It was way too touchy-feeley -- especially for poor Eva.

To me, it came across as Elizabeth Vidal having psychological boundary-issues that spill over into physical boundaries. Not weird in a sexual way, but weird in an inter-personal way, like she's desperate for connection and very insecure. Like Monica, Elizabeth has a full set of "issues" of her own.

Throwing out a Sylvia question - is Elizabeth Vidal still in therapy? And if it's not too much of a Book 4 spoiler -- is Dr. Anne Lucas her shrink? (Oh, I hope not)

It was way too touchy-feeley -- especially for poor Eva.

To me, it came across as Elizabeth Vidal having psychological boundary-issues that spill over into physical boundaries. Not weird in a sexual way, but weird in an inter-personal way, like she's desperate for connection and very insecure. Like Monica, Elizabeth has a full set of "issues" of her own.

Throwing out a Sylvia question - is Elizabeth Vidal still in therapy? And if it's not too much of a Book 4 spoiler -- is Dr. Anne Lucas her shrink? (Oh, I hope not)

And I say again Dr. Anne Lucas...creepy, diabolical , Hannibal Lechterish YUK

2 questions I have for Sylvia

1. Why does Elizabeth get upset that Cary was leaving the party with Gideon and Eva in Reflected, it has never come up.

2.  Does Monica actually love Stanton or is it a marriage of convenience

Thanks

Sheens :)

I believe that EVA thinks that Corinne's suicide attempt was an attempt to get Gideon's attention... I do not think Corinne is mentally ill. I'm sure she was depressed that it wasn't working out with Gideon and Anne Lucas exploited that ... There are some antidepressant medications that actually list SUICIDE as an adverse effect.. Anne knew what she was doing...

Definitely agree that Corrine wasn't Mentally-Ill-With-A-Capital-M ill -- totally crazy. Nor was she Evil-With-A-Capital-E -- like Nathan and Hugh.  I don't think Corrine suffers from some chronic mental health condition.

But I do think that she was suffering a full-blown episode of mental illness: clinical depression. Her condition, it would appear, was calculatedly turned from bad to life threatening. Sorta like feeding a diabetic donuts.

That said, though, I think that all along, Corrine was capable of trying anything to keep Gideon, including playing the suicide card. I wonder, though, whether under "normal" conditions (if that's the right word) Corrine's playing of the suicide card would have simply involved verbal threats as a means of manipulation. The wrong meds simply ratcheted Corrine up to the point where she's actually do an attempt, not just talk about it.

Definitely agree that Corrine wasn't Mentally-Ill-With-A-Capital-M ill -- totally crazy. Nor was she Evil-With-A-Capital-E -- like Nathan and Hugh. I don't think Corrine suffers from some chronic mental health condition.

But I do think that she was suffering a full-blown episode of mental illness: clinical depression. Her condition, it would appear, was calculatedly turned from bad to life threatening. Sorta like feeding a diabetic donuts.

That said, though, I think that all along, Corrine was capable of trying anything to keep Gideon, including playing the suicide card. I wonder, though, whether under "normal" conditions (if that's the right word) Corrine's playing of the suicide card would have simply involved verbal threats as a means of manipulation. The wrong meds simply ratcheted Corrine up to the point where she's actually do an attempt, not just talk about it.

I wonder could that (verbal threats) have been the 'tack' Corinne was taking on the phone to Gideon during that phone call. He said she was teary (Eva's word not Gideon's) so it may be an under-exaggeration to lessen Eva's worry. He also said he'd never heard her like that before. But it would explain his icy fury at her words. What do you think?

I wonder could that (verbal threats) have been the 'tack' Corinne was taking on the phone to Gideon during that phone call. He said she was teary (Eva's word not Gideon's) so it may be an under-exaggeration to lessen Eva's worry. He also said he'd never heard her like that before. But it would explain his icy fury at her words. What do you think?

It's possible she took the "I can't live without you .... you're the only thing I live for .... yadda, yadda, yadda" card, but I pray that's not true, because if it were, Gideon's guilt would be much worse. He'd beat himself up for ignoring early warnings of suicidal behavior.

But somehow, I think that if it was true Corrine was playing the suicide-card tack, he'd have said something when he had his head craddled in Eva's lap, something along the lines of "Corrine threatened to do it, but I never believed she meant it."

On the phone, he was trying to be kind to Corrine right on up to her saying something that triggered him to turn cold on her. We later learned Corrine was bugging Christopher Jr. when desperately trying to chase Gideon down, and that Lizzie appeared to have become Captain of Team Corrine.  And Gideon's family is a major trigger to him -- even with Eva still, he has to resist shutting down the topic entirely.

So my gut is telling me Corrine started playing the "family card" totally clueless that any such efforts would backfire badly. It's the thing I can think of most likely to p i s s Gideon off immediately - Mommy Lizzie.

Almost forgot, the part about him having never heard her like that before ....

I'll bet he never heard her desperate and weeping before. The Corrine we first met came across as calm and sweet in person -- even Eva had to admit there was something calming about Corrine. Of course, we could also see Corrine was a catty two-faced b****.

The Corrine on the phone that morning by then had probably figured out Gideon had slipped through her fingers again -- and worse, was probably involved with Eva again. Corrine lived right around the corner from his apartment building. I can see her stalking the building -- stalking it and discovering Gideon wasn't coming home nights anymore.

Who knows, maybe she even staked out Eva's apartment building to try to confirm suspicions he was quietly seeing Eva again. Even with his baseball cap and sweats "ordinary hot guy" disguise that would fool strangers wouldn't fool Corrine, who would know his walk, know his build -- just know it was him.

One more possibility -- as soon as Gideon kicked Corrine to the curve, she might have called Dr. Anne in crisis, and Dr. Anne could have jumped at the chance to up Corrine's doses. I wonder whether the Not So Good Doctor was waiting for just such an opportunity -- knowing that sooner or later, Gideon was going to turn from Dr. Jeckyll to Mr. Hide and the instant it happened, time to pounce on the pharmacology.

I also think Corinne's pregnancy played a part in her irrationality. As I've said before I don't believe she knew she was pregnant, but I think her hormones may have been why she went so weepy. She may then have realised she wasn't acting like herself and sought medical help and the pills just made her worse!

I also think Corinne's pregnancy played a part in her irrationality. As I've said before I don't believe she knew she was pregnant, but I think her hormones may have been why she went so weepy. She may then have realised she wasn't acting like herself and sought medical help and the pills just made her worse!

I'm really on the fence as to whether or not she knew she was pregnant. 

The main argument for her being unaware: not only was she taking medication, but she was drinking as well (definitely the night Nathan died, when she was photographed with a drink in her hand, and presumably champagne at that fundraiser the night she met Eva.

What's got me suspicious she might have known: based on some math I did, she could have been 4-5 weeks along when she called up Gideon in crisis, ready to flee France for New York. She could have suspected by then she might be; she'll have missed her second period in a row. But when she found out Gideon had just become serious about a new woman, Eva, she chickened out on coming back to New York then and there. It took her a week and a half to work up the courage. By then, we're talking 6-7 weeks along, definitely ought to have a diagnosis by then. And look how desperate and dirty she played right away. If she did know, I think her goal was to seduce Gideon immediately, then try to pass the baby off as his, counting on him to help speed her divorce along and marry her as soon as possible so "their" child would be born in wedlock. He might have later figured out the baby wasn't his, but she probably counted on him staying with her anyway instead of turning her out to raise the baby as a single mother.

So I guess a huge question for Sylvia is this: was Corrine totally clueless she was pregnant -- or -- did she rush back to New York hoping to trap Gideon by making him believe he impregnated her?

Actually, one other possibility exists -- what if Corrine sought treatment from Dr. Anne Lucas, who ordered a routine pregnancy test before putting Corrine on an anti-depressant? The lab test came back positive, taking Lucas by surprise, aware that Corrine did not suspect she was pregnant. What if the Not So Good Doctor deliberately kept the real test result from Corrine, telling Corrine she most definitely wasn't pregnant, and explaining way the absence of periods as stress and medication side effect.

Perhaps the Not So Good Doctor was counting on Gideon f***** Corrine -- and oh the pain that could have come had Corrine killed herself bearing a child he would have believed was his.

we need the time frame for Gideon's abuse.  His age for instance.  Maybe starting around 10 YOA  to when?  Cause he didn't get rich until I believe after turning 18 and went off to college?  Maybe they put him in boarding school and that is when the abuse stopped.  Oh so many questions and little or not insight.

Also the age of Anne Lucas and Gideon when they had their fling.  Don't think she treated Corrine, and maybe the same "redhead" that Cary "danced" with?

we need the time frame for Gideon's abuse.  His age for instance.  Maybe starting around 10 YOA  to when?  Cause he didn't get rich until I believe after turning 18 and went off to college?  Maybe they put him in boarding school and that is when the abuse stopped.  Oh so many questions and little or not insight.

Also the age of Anne Lucas and Gideon when they had their fling.  Don't think she treated Corrine, and maybe the same "redhead" that Cary "danced" with?

Gideon was around age 10-11 when it started, because there's an age spread of around 5-6 years between him and Christopher. We don't yet know how/when the abuse stopped -- a question I hoped was going to be answered in Entwined, but, Gideon is still working through issues, so it may be Book 4 or 5 that has the answers.

Terry Lucas is 45 years old and he and Anne have been married 20 years. Educated guess is that she's a 40-something as well. Gideon was rich enough by age 20 to afford a bodyguard/driver (Angus) and he's 28 years old now. The story doesn't say when the affair happened, but the impression given was that it was sometime in recent years (Anne chasing him at social events).

It's possible she took the "I can't live without you .... you're the only thing I live for .... yadda, yadda, yadda" card, but I pray that's not true, because if it were, Gideon's guilt would be much worse. He'd beat himself up for ignoring early warnings of suicidal behavior.

But somehow, I think that if it was true Corrine was playing the suicide-card tack, he'd have said something when he had his head craddled in Eva's lap, something along the lines of "Corrine threatened to do it, but I never believed she meant it."

On the phone, he was trying to be kind to Corrine right on up to her saying something that triggered him to turn cold on her. We later learned Corrine was bugging Christopher Jr. when desperately trying to chase Gideon down, and that Lizzie appeared to have become Captain of Team Corrine.  And Gideon's family is a major trigger to him -- even with Eva still, he has to resist shutting down the topic entirely.

So my gut is telling me Corrine started playing the "family card" totally clueless that any such efforts would backfire badly. It's the thing I can think of most likely to p i s s Gideon off immediately - Mommy Lizzie.

good point, I never thought of that LN, thanks :)

Good point Rogue ...

I'm really on the fence as to whether or not she knew she was pregnant. 

The main argument for her being unaware: not only was she taking medication, but she was drinking as well (definitely the night Nathan died, when she was photographed with a drink in her hand, and presumably champagne at that fundraiser the night she met Eva.

What's got me suspicious she might have known: based on some math I did, she could have been 4-5 weeks along when she called up Gideon in crisis, ready to flee France for New York. She could have suspected by then she might be; she'll have missed her second period in a row. But when she found out Gideon had just become serious about a new woman, Eva, she chickened out on coming back to New York then and there. It took her a week and a half to work up the courage. By then, we're talking 6-7 weeks along, definitely ought to have a diagnosis by then. And look how desperate and dirty she played right away. If she did know, I think her goal was to seduce Gideon immediately, then try to pass the baby off as his, counting on him to help speed her divorce along and marry her as soon as possible so "their" child would be born in wedlock. He might have later figured out the baby wasn't his, but she probably counted on him staying with her anyway instead of turning her out to raise the baby as a single mother.

So I guess a huge question for Sylvia is this: was Corrine totally clueless she was pregnant -- or -- did she rush back to New York hoping to trap Gideon by making him believe he impregnated her?

I think Corrine did know she was pregnant and was why she eventually went hysterical and teary on the phone with Gideon as when he was talking to her he has mentioned " he could not be that way with her" and she knew she had lost him and then he went "Icy" when she went off on one of her tangents (rants) as I think she knew then that she was not getting him back and that her husband was the father of her child and the fact that she may be left single and alone with a child frightened her.

I think Corrine did know she was pregnant and was why she eventually went hysterical and teary on the phone with Gideon as when he was talking to her he has mentioned " he could not be that way with her" and she knew she had lost him and then he went "Icy" when she went off on one of her tangents (rants) as I think she knew then that she was not getting him back and that her husband was the father of her child and the fact that she may be left single and alone with a child frightened her.

Totally agree I think she wanted Gideon as the BABY DADDY and not JFG ...She wanted to bed Gideon and turn up pregnant a few weeks later...

Totally agree I think she wanted Gideon as the BABY DADDY and not JFG ...She wanted to bed Gideon and turn up pregnant a few weeks later...

Explains the sudden desperate stunts in New York somewhere in the neighborhood of week 6-7. And how frantic she became by the time she reached the fourth month.

By month four, no longer would she be able to pass of the pregnancy as early for however many weeks it would take to rush through her already-in-progress divorce proceedings in France and then actually spring the trap on Gideon by getting him to go through with saying "I do." Soon, she was going to start showing - hard enough for a slender woman to disguise clothed and even harder to disguise nude.

Also, when she entered month four, she'd waited too long to get easy access to abortion. Finding a hospital or clinic willing to terminate a pregnancy past the first trimester is very hard in the United States, where hospitals and clinics are run by the private sector, not through a national government health system. If she was going to go the "I miscarried" route, she needed to set herself a deadline of under 12 weeks for bailing out of the scheme.

Because if it was true she knew about the baby, I don't think she had any intention of keeping JFG's child. She only needed the pregnancy long enough to convince Gideon she actually was impregnated. Once she actually became Mrs. Cross and was safe-guarded from being summarily dumped, she could get rid of the baby.

Explains the sudden desperate stunts in New York somewhere in the neighborhood of week 6-7. And how frantic she became by the time she reached the fourth month.

By month four, no longer would she be able to pass of the pregnancy as early for however many weeks it would take to rush through her already-in-progress divorce proceedings in France and then actually spring the trap on Gideon by getting him to go through with saying "I do." Soon, she was going to start showing - hard enough for a slender woman to disguise clothed and even harder to disguise nude.

Also, when she entered month four, she'd waited too long to get easy access to abortion. Finding a hospital or clinic willing to terminate a pregnancy past the first trimester is very hard in the United States, where hospitals and clinics are run by the private sector, not through a national government health system. If she was going to go the "I miscarried" route, she needed to set herself a deadline of under 12 weeks for bailing out of the scheme.

Because if it was true she knew about the baby, I don't think she had any intention of keeping JFG's child. She only needed the pregnancy long enough to convince Gideon she actually was impregnated. Once she actually became Mrs. Cross and was safe-guarded from being summarily dumped, she could get rid of the baby.

But if she didn't come back to NY until week 6-7, how could she possibly be married to Gideon by week 12?!

Granted if she'd slept with him shortly after arriving she might be able to convince him that he'd 'knocked her up' (though I still don't think she'd have had much luck convincing him he was 100% the father and making him feel that obligated to her especially if she 'lost' the baby a few weeks later) as I've said before he would know at the first ultrasound and Gideon is the type of man who checks the facts of a situation before making decisions. Corinne must know this. She doesn't know a lot of things about him, but that part of him is in his very nature, it's one of the things that makes him such a good businessman. Is she crazy probably, delusional maybe but she's not stupid - no-one schemes like Corinne does and doesn't consider the pitfalls they are likely to encounter. I just think we are so desperate to hate her that we are all automatically assuming the worst about her. Don't get me wrong I think she's a scheming manipulative b**** but there's a limit surely? Risking a baby to take anti-depressants? attempting suicide over a man while knowing your pregnant and not just risking your life but the life of your child? Is she really that heartless? What she's done to Eva to try and get Gideon back is pretty horrible but this... this is a whole other level....

ETA: Especially if the suicide attempt is all another manipulative stunt to get Gideon back!

But if she didn't come back to NY until week 6-7, how could she possibly be married to Gideon by week 12?!

Granted if she'd slept with him shortly after arriving she might be able to convince him that he'd 'knocked her up' (though I still don't think she'd have had much luck convincing him he was 100% the father and making him feel that obligated to her especially if she 'lost' the baby a few weeks later) as I've said before he would know at the first ultrasound and Gideon is the type of man who checks the facts of a situation before making decisions. Corinne must know this. She doesn't know a lot of things about him, but that part of him is in his very nature, it's one of the things that makes him such a good businessman. Is she crazy probably, delusional maybe but she's not stupid - no-one schemes like Corinne does and doesn't consider the pitfalls they are likely to encounter. I just think we are so desperate to hate her that we are all automatically assuming the worst about her. Don't get me wrong I think she's a scheming manipulative b**** but there's a limit surely? Risking a baby to take anti-depressants? attempting suicide over a man while knowing your pregnant and not just risking your life but the life of your child? Is she really that heartless? What she's done to Eva to try and get Gideon back is pretty horrible but this... this is a whole other level....

ETA: Especially if the suicide attempt is all another manipulative stunt to get Gideon back!

Hi Rogue,

I'm not saying Corrine could get Gideon actually might have accomplished getting Gideon to the altar that fast (by week 12). The woman was pulling crazy desperate stuff. But I could see her trying.

Especially if Corrine's divorce back in France was on the verge of being finalized. We know from what Magdalene said about them getting divorced that the proceedings themselves were underway. I'm wondering whether Corrine was still based in France as the summer started was so she could be immediately available for court hearings and for signing necessary documents. To do whatever she could to speed things along as quickly as possible.

But if -- IF -- she was trying to play the Gideon-knocked-her-up card, she needed to move things along in New York as fast as possible too. Have him ready to elope with her the instant the ink dried on her divorce decree. With each passing week, she got closer and closer and closer to starting to "show" -- that'd be a dead giveaway she was months into a pregnancy, not weeks.

I still go back and forth on whether she knew she was in early pregnancy when she suddenly decided to call upon Gideon to get her settled in New York as fast as possible. When she made that decision, she booked her flight and called up Gideon to say essentially "I'm on my way, meet me at the airport." THAT'S when Corrine found out Gideon had just fallen for a new woman he met that very week. Eva wasn't the initial trigger for the move -- something else made Corrine throw caution to the wind and start stalking Gideon in New York itself.

If she did know she was carrying JFG's baby, I think she had no intention whatsoever of going through with the pregnancy. Bearing JFG's child would greatly lessen her desperate move to become Mrs. Gideon Cross. I think she planned to bail out of the pregnancy as soon as it served it's purpose -- thus taking medication didn't matter. She wasn't going to go through with carrying the baby anyway, so possible birth defects were a non-issue.