Crossfire Series Questions for SYLVIA

Kirsten

Question

This thread is being started so we can all have a place to put our questions that we want Sylvia to answer. Obviously she will not be able to answer all since we have two more book to go... YAY!

My question still is what was with the back and forth between Gideon and Elizabeth regarding Cary at the garden party?

It is obvious that Gideon and Angus have a very close relationship, will we find out more about it, it book 4 or 5?

• Answers 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I think Monica believes she is doing this all for the best for Eva and until she finally let's the penny drop and realises she is pushing her daughter away with her behaviour I don't think she will apologise for anything she has done 

I think that is a real shame.  Eva has been giving Monica every opportunity to change and she hasn't.  It is a really sad situation overall.  I hope she gets it together. 

the engagement announcment did the same thing - but also gave Corrine hope that G would leave E.  Married it's over.  So it's a toss up I guess.  And would our Eva really care at this point, she's really ###### after the lobby kiss attempt !

Hi Fsumom, 

I really hope that whatever conversation that Gideon and/or Eva has with Corinne, it is the one final one (with a psychiatrist who can help her if she freaks out) and then be done with this situation once and for all. 

Hi Fsumom, 

Maybe they didn't tell Corinne that they were married because they didn't want to kick her while she was already down and mentally unstable.  What do you think?

Yea I think that would've sent her over the edge significantly... look what the "engagement" did to her... Imagine telling her that they are really married.

Yea I think that would've sent her over the edge significantly... look what the "engagement" did to her... Imagine telling her that they are really married.

Or maybe "engagement" gave Corrine the idea she could still stop things, could still get Gideon to come back to her. The door wasn't slammed shut yet (in her twisted thinking, that is -- the door really slammed shut the day Gideon met Eva.)

Or maybe "engagement" gave Corrine the idea she could still stop things, could still get Gideon to come back to her. The door wasn't slammed shut yet (in her twisted thinking, that is -- the door really slammed shut the day Gideon met Eva.)

Youre right. The suicide attempt in her mind was her last effort in convincing Gideon to leave Eva and be with her.

All Dr. Anne Lucas did was crank up the crazy to an extreme level, if in fact Lucas messed with Corrine pharmacologically. Corrine already was desperate before Lucas got her hands on her, already willing to fight dirty and destroy Gideon's relationship with Eva -- would do anything to chase down Gideon again and make him hers'.

Hi Claudine, 

I agree. I wonder whether Jean Francois really stuck it Corinne by giving her the news. 

Youre right. The suicide attempt in her mind was her last effort in convincing Gideon to leave Eva and be with her.

Hi Claudine, 

Do you think that someone who swallowed an entire bottle of pills was only trying to make a show of a suicide attempt?  To me that seems really serious.  It sounds like a woman who has lost all hope and reality.  From what was written, it sounded like Corinne was really mentally ill and wanted to end her life. 

I could be wrong, but I don't think that someone who swallows an entire bottle of pills is making a "show".  I could be wrong, but thus far I don't think so. 

I was actually wondering about Dr Anne Lucas as where I am listening to the Audio again, I am at the part where Gideon tells Eva about his abuser and said "It was not until I met you that I understood" "Dr Lucas loved his wife as much I love you and he would do anything for her, forgive her cheating and hide what her brother did to save her the embarassment of knowing what he did" 

This statement from Gideon actually made me wonder if in fact Anne did know what her brother did as if Terry is hiding it from her how would she know.

I was actually wondering about Dr Anne Lucas as where I am listening to the Audio again, I am at the part where Gideon tells Eva about his abuser and said "It was not until I met you that I understood" "Dr Lucas loved his wife as much I love you and he would do anything for her, forgive her cheating and hide what her brother did to save her the embarassment of knowing what he did" 

This statement from Gideon actually made me wonder if in fact Anne did know what her brother did as if Terry is hiding it from her how would she know.

Here's a case for Anne having eventually found out about her brother, Hugh - and about the Gideon connection:

• Pedophiles frequently are repeat offenders. Rarely can they stop on their own after having been caught.
  • The whole family works in the mental health field, and through training and practice, their senses of observation would be especially acute. At least someone -- possibly several someones -- would have picked up on signs. 
  • Hugh never ended up going into practice though (we know this because Gideon told Eva he's threatened to legally ruin him if he did). Was it is Hugh's family that had, even years before the adult Gideon did so, tell him essentially, "Don't even think about going into practice as a child psychologist"?
  • Among the many things the celebrity Gideon is known for is supporting charities for abused children. It is high society fundraising dinners for charities like those that Gideon used to go out on "dates" -- walking the red carpet with some stunning woman, most often Magdalene but sometimes others (per the dossier Cary assembled before Gideon took Eva on their first date to one such event.)
  • Anne began her pursuit of Gideon at a fundraiser.
  • Anne kept chasing him at such events after he'd thrown her onto the discard pile (he'd hooked up with Deanna because she was at an event where Anne was making him uncomfortable, so he used Deanna to deflect Anne.)
  • The Lucases move in similar social circles as the Vidals.
  • Terry also knew the Vidals professionally - because he was hired to examine Gideon as a child.

Two possible scenarios for Anne making the connection between Hugh and Gideon:

• Terry became jealous when Anne started to show interest in Gideon. Perhaps he broke confidentiality and told Anne some half truths, including Hugh's "diagnosis" of Gideon as a disturbed young teen?
  • Elizabeth Vidal confided in Anne about her (Anne's) husband and brother having both treated Gideon as a child - not details, but just the fact the pair of them had worked with her son. Perhaps under the guise of seeking advice from Anne about possible ways to bridge the chasm that existed between Gideon and his mother?

With all this in mind, what if Anne's sexual pursuit of Gideon was really her revenge f****** him? And manipulating his psyche during their sexual encounters?

Gideon felt dirty after each encounter. He told Eva in North Carolina that no matter how long he showered afterward, he never felt clean. This is a departure from his cold shutting down after sexual activity with a long string of other women.

Here's a case for Anne having eventually found out about her brother, Hugh - and about the Gideon connection:

• Pedophiles frequently are repeat offenders. Rarely can they stop on their own after having been caught.
  • The whole family works in the mental health field, and through training and practice, their senses of observation would be especially acute. At least someone -- possibly several someones -- would have picked up on signs.
  • Hugh never ended up going into practice though (we know this because Gideon told Eva he's threatened to legally ruin him if he did). Was it is Hugh's family that had, even years before the adult Gideon did so, tell him essentially, "Don't even think about going into practice as a child psychologist"?
  • Among the many things the celebrity Gideon is known for is supporting charities for abused children. It is high society fundraising dinners for charities like those that Gideon used to go out on "dates" -- walking the red carpet with some stunning woman, most often Magdalene but sometimes others (per the dossier Cary assembled before Gideon took Eva on their first date to one such event.)
  • Anne kept chasing him at such events after he'd thrown her onto the discard pile (he'd hooked up with Deanna because she was at an event where Anne was making him uncomfortable, so he used Deanna to deflect Anne.)
  • Terry also knew the Vidals professionally - because he was hired to examine Gideon as a child.

• Terry became jealous when Anne started to show interest in Gideon. Perhaps he broke confidentiality and told Anne some half truths, including Hugh's "diagnosis" of Gideon as a disturbed young teen?
  • Elizabeth Vidal confided in Anne about her (Anne's) husband and brother having both treated Gideon as a child - not details, but just the fact the pair of them had worked with her son. Perhaps under the guise of seeking advice from Anne about possible ways to bridge the chasm that existed between Gideon and his mother?

With all this in mind, what if Anne's sexual pursuit of Gideon was really her revenge f****** him? And manipulating his psyche during their sexual encounters?

Gideon felt dirty after each encounter. He told Eva in North Carolina that no matter how long he showered afterward, he never felt clean. This is a departure from his cold shutting down after sexual activity with a long string of other women.

Anne's pursuit of Gideon is kind of weird if she knew about what Hugh had done. First of all, she's clever enough to know that Hugh was the one at fault, not Gideon.

All Gideon is guilty of is confronting his rapist and threatening him with legal retribution if he does it again. Hugh's action beyond that (his suicide) stemmed from his guilt / fear of reprisal. Anne should understand that if she knows the full story.

Also, if Anne knew about Gideon's abuse and felt that Gideon was responsible for Hugh's suicide, F(&^*** him is a strange way to get revenge! ! There are plenty of ways to get revenge on someone that don't involve taking them to bed!

As for Gideon feeling dirty after his encounters with Anne, I took this to be because of his guilt over the fact that she was married. From his conversation with Eva about it in RIY, I got the impression that Gideon did not make a habit out of F(&^*** married women. I think this explains the different reaction between Anne and his other conquests.

Anne's pursuit of Gideon is kind of weird if she knew about what Hugh had done. First of all, she's clever enough to know that Hugh was the one at fault, not Gideon.

All Gideon is guilty of is confronting his rapist and threatening him with legal retribution if he does it again. Hugh's action beyond that (his suicide) stemmed from his guilt / fear of reprisal. Anne should understand that if she knows the full story.

Also, if Anne knew about Gideon's abuse and felt that Gideon was responsible for Hugh's suicide, F(&^*** him is a strange way to get revenge! ! There are plenty of ways to get revenge on someone that don't involve taking them to bed!

As for Gideon feeling dirty after his encounters with Anne, I took this to be because of his guilt over the fact that she was married. From his conversation with Eva about it in RIY, I got the impression that Gideon did not make a habit out of F(&^*** married women. I think this explains the different reaction between Anne and his other conquests.

You're right, the fact that Anne was married is one reason for him to feel guilty. But Anne may have deliberately manipulated that guilt -- much like Corrine certainly has manipulated Gideon's guilty feelings he's somehow to blame for her marriage not working out. The difference with Anne is that Anne would be exceptionally skilled at recognizing mental/emotional vulnerabilities and exploiting them.

Especially if Anne guessed correctly Gideon was sexually damaged by her brother. Gideon showered after every encounter with Anne but could never feel "clean" enough. So she made him feel "dirty" -- tapping into deep sexual shame?

As soon as Nathan left Gideon's office, having shown Gideon images of Eva being sexually victimized, the first thing Gideon did was take a shower. To our knowledge, that's the only time he's ever used his office shower. Trying to feel clean, because the damaged child inside him felt "dirty"?

I don't know about this I don't think Gideon really talked too much in his previous sexual encounters according to Deanna... LOL!!

I don't know about this I don't think Gideon really talked too much in his previous sexual encounters according to Deanna... LOL!!

Someone like Anne would be skilled in drawing out info from him very carefully, one piece at a time.

Deanna was a one-night stand, and there wasn't even any post-coital conversation. He never even offered her a drink. In fact, he never even came with her -- he took that business phone call right in the middle of screwing her, and he told her to leave.

He really could be a total jerk sometimes. Eva was right about that.

Hi Claudine,

Do you think that someone who swallowed an entire bottle of pills was only trying to make a show of a suicide attempt? To me that seems really serious. It sounds like a woman who has lost all hope and reality. From what was written, it sounded like Corinne was really mentally ill and wanted to end her life.

I could be wrong, but I don't think that someone who swallows an entire bottle of pills is making a "show". I could be wrong, but thus far I don't think so.

I think its really a bit of both. Wanting to die because they just cant deal with things anymore, and really just trying to get attention. Ive seen the latter happen. Yes her dosage and the drugs she was taken probably made her very mentally unstable. But I think she was so emotionally distraught after being told of the engagement that she didnt want to live but also she couldve done it to get the attention. As a final shot of making gideon realize that by almost losing her that he couldnt live without her (I hope that makes sense... he wording isnt great lol). The two are plausible.

I think its really a bit of both. Wanting to die because they just cant deal with things anymore, and really just trying to get attention. Ive seen the latter happen. Yes her dosage and the drugs she was taken probably made her very mentally unstable. But I think she was so emotionally distraught after being told of the engagement that she didnt want to live but also she couldve done it to get the attention. As a final shot of making gideon realize that by almost losing her that he couldnt live without her (I hope that makes sense... he wording isnt great lol). The two are plausible.

Corrine was mentally ill by the time she attempted suicide -- that's clear. Her behavior had become erratic. However, she wasn't psychotic. She could recognize what was going on -- and could recognize the consequences of her actions.

Previously, she tried something desperate aimed at making Gideon recognize he couldn't live without her. She broke the engagement in order to make him chase her, fight for her, fight for the relationship. It backfired. I think her hooking up with Jean-Francois -- a man Gideon knew and liked -- was yet another attempt, I believe, to try to make Gideon fight for her. She knew full well he was jealous and possessive.

I believe the same dynamic was going on when she took the pills -- doing something desperate aimed at making Gideon come to realize he couldn't live without her. Designed to make him "chase" her to the hospital, guessing (correctly) he'd feel guilty enough to go to her bedside. Perhaps hoping to have both Gideon and Jean-Francois there, both vying for her, and her "choosing" Gideon in order to further bind him to her.

Desperate, desperate, desperate. The wrong med(s) she was on merely made her more apt to go through with her desperate measures. It wasn't solely responsible for acting desperately. Corrine was acting desperate from the moment she decided to move back to New York. Within the first 24 hours of crashing into Gideon's life, Corrine: ambushed him and his new girlfriend while he was in his celebrity spotlight at a high society event, and she very cattily ephed with the mind of the emotionally-vulnerable Eva. She got in digs during happy hour, rudely monopolized Gideon at the dinner table -- and then went out of her way the next day to trick Eva into thinking Gideon cheated on Eva.

Corrine was mentally ill by the time she attempted suicide -- that's clear. Her behavior had become erratic. However, she wasn't psychotic. She could recognize what was going on -- and could recognize the consequences of her actions.

Previously, she tried something desperate aimed at making Gideon recognize he couldn't live without her. She broke the engagement in order to make him chase her, fight for her, fight for the relationship. It backfired. I think her hooking up with Jean-Francois -- a man Gideon knew and liked -- was yet another attempt, I believe, to try to make Gideon fight for her. She knew full well he was jealous and possessive.

I believe the same dynamic was going on when she took the pills -- doing something desperate aimed at making Gideon come to realize he couldn't live without her. Designed to make him "chase" her to the hospital, guessing (correctly) he'd feel guilty enough to go to her bedside. Perhaps hoping to have both Gideon and Jean-Francois there, both vying for her, and her "choosing" Gideon in order to further bind him to her.

Desperate, desperate, desperate. The wrong med(s) she was on merely made her more apt to go through with her desperate measures. It wasn't solely responsible for acting desperately. Corrine was acting desperate from the moment she decided to move back to New York. Within the first 24 hours of crashing into Gideon's life, Corrine: ambushed him and his new girlfriend while he was in his celebrity spotlight at a high society event, and she very cattily ephed with the mind of the emotionally-vulnerable Eva. She got in digs during happy hour, rudely monopolized Gideon at the dinner table -- and then went out of her way the next day to trick Eva into thinking Gideon cheated on Eva.

Thanks LN :)

You're right, the fact that Anne was married is one reason for him to feel guilty. But Anne may have deliberately manipulated that guilt -- much like Corrine certainly has manipulated Gideon's guilty feelings he's somehow to blame for her marriage not working out. The difference with Anne is that Anne would be exceptionally skilled at recognizing mental/emotional vulnerabilities and exploiting them.

Especially if Anne guessed correctly Gideon was sexually damaged by her brother. Gideon showered after every encounter with Anne but could never feel "clean" enough. So she made him feel "dirty" -- tapping into deep sexual shame?

As soon as Nathan left Gideon's office, having shown Gideon images of Eva being sexually victimized, the first thing Gideon did was take a shower. To our knowledge, that's the only time he's ever used his office shower. Trying to feel clean, because the damaged child inside him felt "dirty"?

Ok I see it what you mean. Its also possible that the damaged child inside Gideon felt "dirty" for F(&^*** his rapists sister.

What I don't understand about Anne taking revenge on Gideon though is all he did was confront his attacker and threaten him with legal action if he did it again. Something I am sure most psychiatrists would recommend as a form of closure.

Hugh committing suicide was a result of his own guilt and a fear of reprisal, something someone who is, like you said, exceptionally skilled at recognising mental/emotional vulnerabilities would easily recognise.

Sure, as a sister she would probably want revenge on the person who hurt her brother. But as a psychiatrist, she must recognise that Hugh's own actions were the real cause of his death. If he'd chosen to never touch another child again, he could have lived a long life without fear of reprisal from Gideon.

I think Anne pursued Gideon for the same reason every other woman did - because he was HAWT. Her grudge I think began the day Gideon dumped her - same as all the others!

I agree Sheens, I took this to mean she didnt know as well. Anne knowing just doesn't make sense to me.