Crossfire Series Questions for SYLVIA

Kirsten

Question

This thread is being started so we can all have a place to put our questions that we want Sylvia to answer. Obviously she will not be able to answer all since we have two more book to go... YAY!

My question still is what was with the back and forth between Gideon and Elizabeth regarding Cary at the garden party?

It is obvious that Gideon and Angus have a very close relationship, will we find out more about it, it book 4 or 5?

• Answers 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hi Claudine, 

Do you think that someone who swallowed an entire bottle of pills was only trying to make a show of a suicide attempt?  To me that seems really serious.  It sounds like a woman who has lost all hope and reality.  From what was written, it sounded like Corinne was really mentally ill and wanted to end her life. 

I could be wrong, but I don't think that someone who swallows an entire bottle of pills is making a "show".  I could be wrong, but thus far I don't think so. 

No man, not even Gideon, is worth attempting suicide for. I think that the severe condition of Corinne's depression is medicine induced. Anne Lucas has to be very proud of herself, very proud indeed.

Ok I see it what you mean. Its also possible that the damaged child inside Gideon felt "dirty" for F(&^*** his rapists sister.

What I don't understand about Anne taking revenge on Gideon though is all he did was confront his attacker and threaten him with legal action if he did it again. Something I am sure most psychiatrists would recommend as a form of closure.

Hugh committing suicide was a result of his own guilt and a fear of reprisal, something someone who is, like you said, exceptionally skilled at recognising mental/emotional vulnerabilities would easily recognise.

Sure, as a sister she would probably want revenge on the person who hurt her brother. But as a psychiatrist, she must recognise that Hugh's own actions were the real cause of his death. If he'd chosen to never touch another child again, he could have lived a long life without fear of reprisal from Gideon.

I think Anne pursued Gideon for the same reason every other woman did - because he was HAWT. Her grudge I think began the day Gideon dumped her - same as all the others!

Not to mention, Anne was married... who breaks their wedding vows to get revenge on someone? As I said before, there are other ways to get revenge on someone. I would assume a married woman would not automatically opt for the revenge method without first trying another option.

Also she was going to leave her husband for Gideon and he rejected her. What was her plan? Where's the revenge?

I dont think Anne was getting revenge on Gideon for Hugh.

I dont think Lucas ever told her of what Hugh did, and why in the world would one want to have an affair with the man your brother abused... Too close for comfort... just wrong.

Plus I dont think Hugh would've told her that Gideon approached him in regards to the abuse.

Lastly, in general I doubt the family knows the real reason why Hugh committed suicide so the revenge there is unjustified. 

Lucas hates him because he had an affair with his wife, not because Gideon is the "cause" of Hugh's suicide. So revenge for the suicide is HIGHLY unlikely coming from both Lucas and Anne. 

Ok I see it what you mean. Its also possible that the damaged child inside Gideon felt "dirty" for F(&^*** his rapists sister.

What I don't understand about Anne taking revenge on Gideon though is all he did was confront his attacker and threaten him with legal action if he did it again. Something I am sure most psychiatrists would recommend as a form of closure.

Hugh committing suicide was a result of his own guilt and a fear of reprisal, something someone who is, like you said, exceptionally skilled at recognising mental/emotional vulnerabilities would easily recognise.

Sure, as a sister she would probably want revenge on the person who hurt her brother. But as a psychiatrist, she must recognise that Hugh's own actions were the real cause of his death. If he'd chosen to never touch another child again, he could have lived a long life without fear of reprisal from Gideon.

I think Anne pursued Gideon for the same reason every other woman did - because he was HAWT. Her grudge I think began the day Gideon dumped her - same as all the others!

I agree with your last statement. Her grudge is for being dumped not her brother's death. I dont think she would have known what led to her brother's death. 

Your first point is a really interesting one I hadn't thought of before -- what was going through Gideon's mind as a grown man f****** the sister of a man who raped him as a child. A woman who, like his rapist, worked in the mental health field. No wonder Gideon felt "dirty" after each encounter.

I wonder whether the affair took place before or after Hugh's suicide. My gut says afterward.

• The story strongly suggests the affair with Anne Lucas was relatively recent (past couple of years maybe?).
  • Gideon using Deanna one night to deflected Anne Lucas seems to be even more recent - perhaps even as recently as the spring? Deanna is pretty hot under the collar and I cannot see her patiently waiting years to get revenge. I think she leapt at the chance to throw a monkey wrench into Gideon's (supposed) plan to make a certain beautiful brunette Mrs. Gideon Cross.
  • Gideon started building his own fortune even while still college age. By age 20, he was rich enough to hire Angus as his fulltime driver/bodyguard. Only eight years later, he's the 25th richest billionaire in the world.
  • I cannot see Gideon waiting patiently for years to stop Hugh. As soon as Gideon became rich enough to be able to pay the best lawyers available to potentially destroy Hugh in court, I can see him immediately having his showdown with Hugh to warn Hugh he'd ruin him if he went into practice.

Your first point is a really interesting one I hadn't thought of before -- what was going through Gideon's mind as a grown man f****** the sister of a man who raped him as a child. A woman who, like his rapist, worked in the mental health field. No wonder Gideon felt "dirty" after each encounter.

I wonder whether the affair took place before or after Hugh's suicide. My gut says afterward.

• The story strongly suggests the affair with Anne Lucas was relatively recent (past couple of years maybe?).
  • Gideon using Deanna one night to deflected Anne Lucas seems to be even more recent - perhaps even as recently as the spring? Deanna is pretty hot under the collar and I cannot see her patiently waiting years to get revenge. I think she leapt at the chance to throw a monkey wrench into Gideon's (supposed) plan to make a certain beautiful brunette Mrs. Gideon Cross.
  • Gideon started building his own fortune even while still college age. By age 20, he was rich enough to hire Angus as his fulltime driver/bodyguard. Only eight years later, he's the 25th richest billionaire in the world.
  • I cannot see Gideon waiting patiently for years to stop Hugh. As soon as Gideon became rich enough to be able to pay the best lawyers available to potentially destroy Hugh in court, I can see him immediately having his showdown with Hugh to warn Hugh he'd ruin him if he went into practice.

Hmmm I really like all your points here.

Something just struck me about why Anne Lucas may have chosen Corrine as the collateral damage victim to get revenge on Gideon -- why choose Corrine to be set up for suicide instead of Eva? 

Because Corrine left her husband for Gideon, and Anne probably believed Gideon had decided to marry Corrine once the divorce from JFG went through.

So Corrine got (Anne would falsely believe) what Gideon refused to give to Anne. As soon as Anne became willing to leave her husband for Gideon, Gideon rejected her and sent her back to her husband. In contrast, Corrine (Anne would falsely believe) was welcomed back with open arms by Gideon, who rejected his new girlfriend, Eva, and started "dating" Corrine in front of the world.

So Anne picked Corrine instead of Eva. Interesting, because Anne could have conceivably made a "run" at Eva, hearing from Terry Lucas all about the way Gideon acted when seated between Corrine and Eva at dinner -- a disaster that ended with Eva walking out on Gideon -- and also heard from Terry how awful Eva looked at the hospital the week Gideon started dating Corrine again. The Lucases run in Monica Stanton's social circles too, so the connection was there to attempt to reach out to Eva herself. See if Eva was "depressed" and if so start unhinging Eva. 

Eva needs to watch her back now that she is (Anne believes) engaged to Gideon. Because now Eva does have an Anne Lucas target painted right on her back -- as evidenced by the mind-eph that Anne pulled (Gideon f**** Deanna a lot lie -- and if Anne treated Corrine, Anne likely heard that Gideon's "ex" Eva is very jealous and insecure.)

I'm convinced early in Book Four the truth is going to come out that Gideon actually married Eva -- and thus if Anne is as evil as we suspect, evil enough to engineer Corrine's death by suicide, then she's capable of almost anything.

Something just struck me about why Anne Lucas may have chosen Corrine as the collateral damage victim to get revenge on Gideon -- why choose Corrine to be set up for suicide instead of Eva? 

Because Corrine left her husband for Gideon, and Anne probably believed Gideon had decided to marry Corrine once the divorce from JFG went through.

So Corrine got (Anne would falsely believe) what Gideon refused to give to Anne. As soon as Anne became willing to leave her husband for Gideon, Gideon rejected her and sent her back to her husband. In contrast, Corrine (Anne would falsely believe) was welcomed back with open arms by Gideon, who rejected his new girlfriend, Eva, and started "dating" Corrine in front of the world.

So Anne picked Corrine instead of Eva. Interesting, because Anne could have conceivably made a "run" at Eva, hearing from Terry Lucas all about the way Gideon acted when seated between Corrine and Eva at dinner -- a disaster that ended with Eva walking out on Gideon -- and also heard from Terry how awful Eva looked at the hospital the week Gideon started dating Corrine again. The Lucases run in Monica Stanton's social circles too, so the connection was there to attempt to reach out to Eva herself. See if Eva was "depressed" and if so start unhinging Eva. 

Eva needs to watch her back now that she is (Anne believes) engaged to Gideon. Because now Eva does have an Anne Lucas target painted right on her back -- as evidenced by the mind-eph that Anne pulled (Gideon f**** Deanna a lot lie -- and if Anne treated Corrine, Anne likely heard that Gideon's "ex" Eva is very jealous and insecure.)

I'm convinced early in Book Four the truth is going to come out that Gideon actually married Eva -- and thus if Anne is as evil as we suspect, evil enough to engineer Corrine's death by suicide, then she's capable of almost anything.

Boy I really like the way your mind just spills with all these ideas!!  :)

Good evening from England

Just a thought, if Anne was one of the two women she mentioned at the end of Entwined, suffering from depression, would she be able to carry on practicing?

Anne's pursuit of Gideon is kind of weird if she knew about what Hugh had done. First of all, she's clever enough to know that Hugh was the one at fault, not Gideon.

All Gideon is guilty of is confronting his rapist and threatening him with legal retribution if he does it again. Hugh's action beyond that (his suicide) stemmed from his guilt / fear of reprisal. Anne should understand that if she knows the full story.

Also, if Anne knew about Gideon's abuse and felt that Gideon was responsible for Hugh's suicide, F(&^*** him is a strange way to get revenge! ! There are plenty of ways to get revenge on someone that don't involve taking them to bed!

As for Gideon feeling dirty after his encounters with Anne, I took this to be because of his guilt over the fact that she was married. From his conversation with Eva about it in RIY, I got the impression that Gideon did not make a habit out of F(&^*** married women. I think this explains the different reaction between Anne and his other conquests.

I think that Anne went after Gideon because of his incredible, smokin , hotness and the fact that he is a young stud (like Cary) and I don't think it had anything to do with Hugh...

Good evening from England

Just a thought, if Anne was one of the two women she mentioned at the end of Entwined, suffering from depression, would she be able to carry on practicing?

There are millions of people suffering from depression and managed with drug therapy that enable them to lead normal lives and hold down jobs . Actually just from the nature of their jobs, ironically I think a lot of mental health professionals suffer some depression...

Anne became a problem/danger for Eva the second she opened her mouth to talk to her at the end of EWY. 

I think that Anne went after Gideon because of his incredible, smokin , hotness and the fact that he is a young stud (like Cary) and I don't think it had anything to do with Hugh...

New nickname for the growing list of them around here:

Dr. Anne "Cougar" Lucas

Boy I really like the way your mind just spills with all these ideas!!  :)

So LN here is finally a way we can rationalize Gideon's actions !! The fact that he was playing a game with Corinne's emotions aka sending MIXED SIGNALS he was actually saving Eva from Anne Lucas and her demented actions...But as we have said Eva and Gideon need to have Anne Lucas on the radar because that woman is out for BLOOD!!!

Anne became a problem/danger for Eva the second she opened her mouth to talk to her at the end of EWY. 

It worries me that Anne "picked up" Cary at that event. In high society circles, everyone knows he's close to Eva and Eva's parents. Some suspect wrongly (based on tabloid gossip) they have been more than friends in the past.

So Anne ephs with Eva's mind and tries to literally eph a man (Cary) who possibly had been Eva's lover earlier this summer, and if he had been, then there may be some sort of Cary-Eva-Gideon love triangle going on.

Scary.

So LN here is finally a way we can rationalize Gideon's actions !! The fact that he was playing a game with Corinne's emotions aka sending MIXED SIGNALS he was actually saving Eva from Anne Lucas and her demented actions...But as we have said Eva and Gideon need to have Anne Lucas on the radar because that woman is out for BLOOD!!!

Without even knowing it, potentially Gideon saved Eva from another homicidal maniac, Anne Lucas. That's a big stretch -- but an interesting one, and hey, this site is where we have fun stretching theories. We need to do something to amuse ourselves until around Christmastime, when Book Four might be coming out.

It worries me that Anne "picked up" Cary at that event. In high society circles, everyone knows he's close to Eva and Eva's parents. Some suspect wrongly (based on tabloid gossip) they have been more than friends in the past.

So Anne ephs with Eva's mind and tries to literally eph a man (Cary) who possibly had been Eva's lover earlier this summer, and if he had been, then there may be some sort of Cary-Eva-Gideon love triangle going on.

Scary.

Yes I think it just goes to show how sick, desperate, and diabolical Anne relly is...

Without even knowing it, potentially Gideon saved Eva from another homicidal maniac, Anne Lucas. That's a big stretch -- but an interesting one, and hey, this site is where we have fun stretching theories. We need to do something to amuse ourselves until around Christmastime, when Book Four might be coming out.

Well I think Gideva's Christmas wedding coinciding with the release of Book 4 will be a nice Christmas present for all on the forum. Now if I can just get my husband to purchase the Crossfire ring for me as a Christmas gift it will surely be a good Christmas!!

Is this poor couple ever going to get a break?

Deranged Dr

Suicidal ex

Randy rock star

Desperate journalist

Jealous and bitter brother

Self absorbed mother- Eva

Insane step brother

Heartless unbelieving mother-Gideon

Spineless paediatrician

Anyone else I forgot?

Everyone believed that Gideon had left Eva as soon as Corinne became available again. Heck, Eva believed it at first. So If Anne is targeting the woman in Gideon's life, it would be easy to see why see went after Corinne. And maybe Elizabeth had mentioned to Anne that Gideon had asked for her wedding ring (if that is where he got it) assuming he was going to propose to Corinne.  I know it's a reach but that is half the fun!  ;)