Theories for book four

julie54

I agree with this. I think Brett will bow out gracefully. 

I hope Brett takes the plane out of the State.  Maybe he go on a nice year loooooonnnggg tour with his band!  He can start in Japan and work his way around the world!  Either way, bye bye Brett!   :)

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to know when someone is going to realize Gideon is wearing a wedding ring! He's not hiding it.

Great point!  I wonder who will be the first to notice the ring on Gideon's finger and I wonder who will be the first brave soul to ask Gideon if he is married.  Who do you think might be the first person?  Any ideas? 

Hi Rogue, 

I think that Gideon also created this mess by not being honest with Corinne either.  I get such a strong feeling that Gideon never told Corinne why he let her walk away all those years ago and I think that is why she made so many false assumptions about how she is going to get Gideon back. 

Gideon also fed into the delusion by not setting her straight and by sending her mixed signals.  What do you think?

Yes I have always maintained that a lot of the angst in this book is a result of everyone lying and most of Gideon's problems stem from his cluelessness about women...

Hi Rogue, 

I think that Gideon also created this mess by not being honest with Corinne either.  I get such a strong feeling that Gideon never told Corinne why he let her walk away all those years ago and I think that is why she made so many false assumptions about how she is going to get Gideon back. 

Gideon also fed into the delusion by not setting her straight and by sending her mixed signals.  What do you think?

Oh I totally agree that Gideon was guilty of sending Corinne mixed signals. But I think he was only aware that he was doing so once she was back in NY and he was doing it on purpose to fool the police.

I'm not sure how Gideon would have initiated a conversation about the end of their previous relationship. I think while Corinne was in France she was calling Gideon daily and likely crying to him about the end of her marriage etc... but I doubt she was telling him she still loved him and wanted him back. That would be coming on a bit strong for Corinne who tends to act much more subtly manipulating situations to her advantage. Also, by telling Gideon straight out the reason she was leaving her marriage was for him, she ran the risk ofhim telling her not to bother. Sure he was being a friend, but I don't think he was sending any indications to this married woman that he wanted her back (except those she chose to see/imagined for herself - all his dates looked like her - I think this is a mommy issue but everyone assumes its a Corinne issue)

Once she was back in NY and he was purposely sending her mixed signals, he couldn't exactly sit her down and explain that they would never be anything but friends - he needed her reactions to be honest, so he needed her to believe that she had a chance.

When he cut things off with Corinne, he should probably explained things a bit more. However, he would never tell her about his abuse and the issues that has caused, so how could he tell her he was relieved when she broke off the engagement without seriously hurting her? We don't know how that conversation between them went down, but I assume Corinne was probably quite upset during it, and Gideon wouldnt want to bring her more pain. In the long run, I think it would be good for her to know, but I can't see how he could tell her without telling her the full truth, and not hurt her deeply. She's been in love with him (well the man she thinks he is) for 10 years!!

Yes I have always maintained that a lot of the angst in this book is a result of everyone lying and most of Gideon's problems stem from his cluelessness about women...

Hi Sscrph,

They all need to stop the lies!  Lies by omission, straight out lies, deceptions, half-truths, etc.  They are all just as damaging and quite frankly, I am getting a little tired of  all the lies.  Enough now...

You are absolutely correct about Gideon.  That man doesn't have a clue about what makes a woman tick.  I think Gideon needs to start being more honest with everyone (including Corinne if he misled her and then send her on her way).  I think that Gideon's nightmares might finally subside as soon as he takes the pressure off of himself.  What do you think? 

Oh I totally agree that Gideon was guilty of sending Corinne mixed signals. But I think he was only aware that he was doing so once she was back in NY and he was doing it on purpose to fool the police.

I'm not sure how Gideon would have initiated a conversation about the end of their previous relationship. I think while Corinne was in France she was calling Gideon daily and likely crying to him about the end of her marriage etc... but I doubt she was telling him she still loved him and wanted him back. That would be coming on a bit strong for Corinne who tends to act much more subtly manipulating situations to her advantage. Also, by telling Gideon straight out the reason she was leaving her marriage was for him, she ran the risk ofhim telling her not to bother. Sure he was being a friend, but I don't think he was sending any indications to this married woman that he wanted her back (except those she chose to see/imagined for herself - all his dates looked like her - I think this is a mommy issue but everyone assumes its a Corinne issue)

Once she was back in NY and he was purposely sending her mixed signals, he couldn't exactly sit her down and explain that they would never be anything but friends - he needed her reactions to be honest, so he needed her to believe that she had a chance.

When he cut things off with Corinne, he should probably explained things a bit more. However, he would never tell her about his abuse and the issues that has caused, so how could he tell her he was relieved when she broke off the engagement without seriously hurting her? We don't know how that conversation between them went down, but I assume Corinne was probably quite upset during it, and Gideon wouldnt want to bring her more pain. In the long run, I think it would be good for her to know, but I can't see how he could tell her without telling her the full truth, and not hurt her deeply. She's been in love with him (well the man she thinks he is) for 10 years!!

Hi Rogue,

I agree with your assessment about Corinne per say.  Where I think we differ is that somewhere along the lines, Gideon never told Corinne why he let her walk away all those years ago.  I think that Corinne held on to the hope that she could win Gideon back because she never heard from his lips that he never really loved her or that he was so screwed up that he wasn’t capable of loving her the way that a woman should be loved. 

I agree that Gideon was inadvertently sending Corinne mixed messages.  He used Corinne as his cover and also used her to deflect any potential speculation or suspicions about Eva away from her. 

Now that Corinne is in the hospital, I think that Gideon owes her one more conversation, with the presence of her psychiatrist.  He needs to explain that he never loved her or wasn’t capable of loving her they way a woman deserves to be loved.  I too, don’t think that Gideon would need to go into detail about his past other than to say that he was one seriously screwed up individual and that at that stage in his life; he wasn’t capable of loving himself, let alone anyone else. 

I also agree with you, that Corinne will probably get hurt when she finds out what Gideon had been hiding from her.  Quite frankly he needs to own that. That’s why I suggested that Corinne’s psychiatrist be present during that final conversation.  If Corinne has held false hopes or has beaten herself up all these years because she thought that she did something wrong and lost this “wonderful†relationship, then Gideon needs to let her off the hook. 

Above and beyond that, I don’t think that Gideon owes Corinne anything more.  To continue to have contact with this woman, in her state of mind, would only be cruel.  What do you think?

Hi Rogue,

I agree with your assessment about Corinne per say.  Where I think we differ is that somewhere along the lines, Gideon never told Corinne why he let her walk away all those years ago.  I think that Corinne held on to the hope that she could win Gideon back because she never heard from his lips that he never really loved her or that he was so screwed up that he wasn’t capable of loving her the way that a woman should be loved. 

I agree that Gideon was inadvertently sending Corinne mixed messages.  He used Corinne as his cover and also used her to deflect any potential speculation or suspicions about Eva away from her. 

Now that Corinne is in the hospital, I think that Gideon owes her one more conversation, with the presence of her psychiatrist.  He needs to explain that he never loved her or wasn’t capable of loving her they way a woman deserves to be loved.  I too, don’t think that Gideon would need to go into detail about his past other than to say that he was one seriously screwed up individual and that at that stage in his life; he wasn’t capable of loving himself, let alone anyone else. 

I also agree with you, that Corinne will probably get hurt when she finds out what Gideon had been hiding from her.  Quite frankly he needs to own that. That’s why I suggested that Corinne’s psychiatrist be present during that final conversation.  If Corinne has held false hopes or has beaten herself up all these years because she thought that she did something wrong and lost this “wonderful†relationship, then Gideon needs to let her off the hook. 

Above and beyond that, I don’t think that Gideon owes Corinne anything more.  To continue to have contact with this woman, in her state of mind, would only be cruel.  What do you think?

Hi Rogue,

I agree with your assessment about Corinne per say. Where I think we differ is that somewhere along the lines, Gideon never told Corinne why he let her walk away all those years ago. I think that Corinne held on to the hope that she could win Gideon back because she never heard from his lips that he never really loved her or that he was so screwed up that he wasn’t capable of loving her the way that a woman should be loved.

I agree that Gideon was inadvertently sending Corinne mixed messages. He used Corinne as his cover and also used her to deflect any potential speculation or suspicions about Eva away from her.

Now that Corinne is in the hospital, I think that Gideon owes her one more conversation, with the presence of her psychiatrist. He needs to explain that he never loved her or wasn’t capable of loving her they way a woman deserves to be loved. I too, don’t think that Gideon would need to go into detail about his past other than to say that he was one seriously screwed up individual and that at that stage in his life; he wasn’t capable of loving himself, let alone anyone else.

I also agree with you, that Corinne will probably get hurt when she finds out what Gideon had been hiding from her. Quite frankly he needs to own that. That’s why I suggested that Corinne’s psychiatrist be present during that final conversation. If Corinne has held false hopes or has beaten herself up all these years because she thought that she did something wrong and lost this “wonderful†relationship, then Gideon needs to let her off the hook.

Above and beyond that, I don’t think that Gideon owes Corinne anything more. To continue to have contact with this woman, in her state of mind, would only be cruel.

Hi Gigi,

I totally get where you are coming from and agree for the most part.

The only real problem I have with what you are saying is,

Corinne left Gideon. She chose to end that relationship and walk away. Now the reason she did it was (standard Corinne) to try TO MANIPULATE GIDEON into loving her more, or spending more time with her or whatever.

Now if Corinne was playing these manipulation games way back then, she knew Gideon didnt feel the same about her as she felt about him. But, regardless when she ended the relationship and walked away at that point Gideon owed her nothing. She had ended the relationship, no mature adult would phone up and say "yeah, well I never loved you anyway."

Gideon let her walk away rather that communicating openly and honestly, but he didnt make her walk away.

Corinne is the one at fault here, she walked away to manipulate Gideon instead of opening up some open and honest dialogue - it backfired.

You said that Corinne never gave up hope because Gideon never told her that he didn't love her or wasn't capable of it. But she walked away and he let her go. She was giving herself false hope - if there was hope to have, he'd have gone after her. Actions speak louder than words but yet again Corinne only listens to what she wants to hear!!

Also, if someone breaks up with me, I don't consider it my job to make them feel better about the situation. Gideon's job isn't to comfort Corinne for choices she makes once she's ended things - that's the job of a boyfriend/fiancé/husband.

Hi Rogue,

I was reading what you said and I sat and thought about it.  I think we are talking about two separate issues here; one would be Corinne’s manipulation and the second is Corinne’s mental illness.

You are absolutely correct that Corinne ended the relationship.  I think where we differ is that she really didn’t have a choice.  Gideon couldn’t marry this woman and I think it became abundantly clear when she proposed and he accepted.  He couldn’t even spend a night in the hotel together. He was always scrabbling to get out of being together with Corinne.  That is where I think Gideon would need to explain this to Corinne.

I don’t think that Corinne was trying to intentionally manipulate Gideon.  I think that she had waited for so long and tried so hard to get him to open up; do things together; try being together more, try different things sexually, etc. and I think that she finally got so frustrated that she put her hands up and walked away.  Now I know none of this is written in the book; I am simply going by human nature here.  Many women try to fix problems in their relationships. They try to talk about what’s going on (usually they get shut down by their partner), make suggestions, nag, cry, scream, then quietly say they are not happy and finally walk out the door.

In retrospect one would think that Corinne might have had a little more self-esteem but it doesn’t seem that way.  Maybe she truly loved Gideon and he was her first love or her one and only love.  Who knows?  I think she married Jean Francois as a rebound man and realized that she had made a huge mistake.  I think that maybe she tried to be happy but in the end she wasn’t able to, but she lived with her melancholy as many women do (who are in unhappy relationships).

I think that when Corinne found out that Gideon was dating someone, she realized that if she was to ever have a final chance at winning back the love of her life she would have to do it now!  She realized that something in Gideon’s voice would have been different.  I am not excusing what Corinne did.  I don’t think it was nice, but let’s also remember that Gideon was not married at the time so she was ruining an engagement or marriage.  She managed to do that all on her own.  Silly girl!! 

You are also correct that these two never had an honest open communication.  I think that was their problem from the beginning. It would have been nice if Gideon could have had this conversation with Corinne after they broke up, but that never happened and I am not sure that he would have known why he acted the way he did.  So how can someone explain what they did, when they don’t understand it themselves?

My suggestion of having that final conversation with Corinne now is based on the fact that this woman attempted suicide and it was serious enough that she miscarried.  If Gideon never told Corinne was the deal was, then as an act of humanity, Gideon should tell her why they would never have worked in the past and never will work in the future.  I think people should know why they are breaking up.  Sometimes that happens and sometimes that doesn’t happen.  That’s life.

Corinne’s manipulation aside, she is now mentally ill and I would hope that Gideon would wish the best for her and in time forgive her for her part in that twisted relationship.   The act of telling Corinne the truth is a compassionate action in my opinion.  Asides from that I don’t think that Gideon owes her anything further.  Do you know what I mean?  I value your opinion and I hope you can understand where I am coming from. I value this dialogue. 

Hi Rogue,

I was reading what you said and I sat and thought about it. I think we are talking about two separate issues here; one would be Corinne’s manipulation and the second is Corinne’s mental illness.

You are absolutely correct that Corinne ended the relationship. I think where we differ is that she really didn’t have a choice. Gideon couldn’t marry this woman and I think it became abundantly clear when she proposed and he accepted. He couldn’t even spend a night in the hotel together. He was always scrabbling to get out of being together with Corinne. That is where I think Gideon would need to explain this to Corinne.

I don’t think that Corinne was trying to intentionally manipulate Gideon. I think that she had waited for so long and tried so hard to get him to open up; do things together; try being together more, try different things sexually, etc. and I think that she finally got so frustrated that she put her hands up and walked away. Now I know none of this is written in the book; I am simply going by human nature here. Many women try to fix problems in their relationships. They try to talk about what’s going on (usually they get shut down by their partner), make suggestions, nag, cry, scream, then quietly say they are not happy and finally walk out the door.

In retrospect one would think that Corinne might have had a little more self-esteem but it doesn’t seem that way. Maybe she truly loved Gideon and he was her first love or her one and only love. Who knows? I think she married Jean Francois as a rebound man and realized that she had made a huge mistake. I think that maybe she tried to be happy but in the end she wasn’t able to, but she lived with her melancholy as many women do (who are in unhappy relationships).

I think that when Corinne found out that Gideon was dating someone, she realized that if she was to ever have a final chance at winning back the love of her life she would have to do it now! She realized that something in Gideon’s voice would have been different. I am not excusing what Corinne did. I don’t think it was nice, but let’s also remember that Gideon was not married at the time so she was ruining an engagement or marriage. She managed to do that all on her own. Silly girl!!

You are also correct that these two never had an honest open communication. I think that was their problem from the beginning. It would have been nice if Gideon could have had this conversation with Corinne after they broke up, but that never happened and I am not sure that he would have known why he acted the way he did. So how can someone explain what they did, when they don’t understand it themselves?

My suggestion of having that final conversation with Corinne now is based on the fact that this woman attempted suicide and it was serious enough that she miscarried. If Gideon never told Corinne was the deal was, then as an act of humanity, Gideon should tell her why they would never have worked in the past and never will work in the future. I think people should know why they are breaking up. Sometimes that happens and sometimes that doesn’t happen. That’s life.

Corinne’s manipulation aside, she is now mentally ill and I would hope that Gideon would wish the best for her and in time forgive her for her part in that twisted relationship. The act of telling Corinne the truth is a compassionate action in my opinion. Asides from that I don’t think that Gideon owes her anything further. Do you know what I mean? I value your opinion and I hope you can understand where I am coming from. I value this dialogue.

Hi Gigi,

I do get what you mean. What I mean, is that I don't really see what Gideon can tell her that she doesn't already know.

If what you are saying is true, that Corinne walked away because it had become clear Gideon couldn't open up to her / couldn't marry her. What more can he say? He's not going to tell her about his abuse, all he can really do is apologise for not being more honest with her at the time - which I totally agree he should do.

However, I don't think Gideon sending her mixed messages for a couple of weeks is enough to make her mentally ill. Sure, it could have made her worse, but I think her mental illness stems from her inability / unwillingness to see the truth.

She walked away because she realised Gideon didnt love her like she loved him, yet she's convinced herself that Gideon was pining for her all these years. She's convinced herself that she loves this man she doesn't really know, instead of opening her heart to the man she's with, who loves her, married her etc... she's convinced herself that JFG is indifferent to her, which is not something I get from him in the book. He clearly loves her, but he's a bit of a coward, or maybe he's sick and tired of living in the shadow of Gideon's memory!

If that's the case Corinne's relationship / mental illness problems are of her own making and while I think Gideonn should apologise for not being more honest with Corinne all those years ago. I don't think he should continue to feel guilt for HER actions, since the end of their relationship 7 odd years ago.

Do you see what I mean? Gideon can't tell her anything she doesn't already know - the problem is that she doesn't want to accept it. And that's her issue, not his.

I do not think Gideon needs to offer Corinne an explanation for any of his actions including present day. As Eva told him, stow the guilt and move on . If he had done this earlier, Corinne would not have been in this picture and thus no mixed signals would have been sent. Less is more in this situation. And not only that, Corinne may not want Gideon to see her in her present condition just making things more difficult for her . On the other hand, if she took the pills on purpose he is playing right into her hands... Eva needs to put a stop to this ...In other words, Gideon needs to stop contact with Corinne as soon as YESTERDAY!!! IMO...