Theories for book four

julie54

“Do you resent her, Daddy?â€

“I used to.†He put his arm around my shoulders. “I’m never going to forgive her for not giving you my last name when you were born. But I’m not mad about the money thing anymore. I’d never be able to make her happy in the long run, and she knew herself enough to know that.â€

I nodded, feeling sorry for all of us.â€

Excerpt From: Day, Sylvia. “Reflected in You.†Penguin Group, USA, 2012-09-28. iBooks.

“My mom looked tired, which wasn’t like her at all. I knew she was worried about Stanton. And she was maybe spending time thinking about my dad, too. It seemed impossible to me that she wouldn’t, after seeing him for the first time in nearly twenty-five years. His longing for her had been hot and alive to me; I couldn’t imagine what it must have felt like to her.â€

Excerpt From: Day, Sylvia. “Reflected in You.†Penguin Group, USA, 2012-09-28. iBooks.

This material may be protected by copyright.

Hi SSCRPH

The quotes above makes me think Eva might like her parents together. There are more expressions of positive feelings from Eva about her parents being together.

Since they did get together, they must have liked the idea too.

Hi Betty maybe it's because I dislike Monica so much( LOL as if she is a real person) but I just do not want her with Victor!!! That being said it would be a hoot if she turned up pregnant... Maybe Monica and Victor could go to childbirth classes with Tat and Cary ...WOW and Gideon thought his life was complicated before!! :). :)

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am in Italy and have time to check in since it rained all day here in Florence and my husband and I are so tired.

I hope Monica is not pregnant. She really is just too into herself and Victor is too nice to have to deal with her crap again.

I don't think Stanton is gay. Monica thrives on men. Straight men.

Just retread BTY and fell in love with Gideon all over again. Sylvia's quotes the other day on fb made me need a fix. Great lines.

Hi GLH

My friends call me Analytical so here is the Monica I got to know:

She worries constantly about her daughter's safety and well-being. She uses the resources of her husbands. (too many to present)

“As soon as she’d found out what her stepson was doing to me, she’d left a husband she was happy with and filed for divorce.â€....Eva talking about her mother

Excerpt From: Day, Sylvia. “Bared to You.†Penguin Group, USA, 2012-05-29. iBooks.

“You were an innocent, Eva. She feels guilty for not protecting you. We need to give her a little latitude.â€...Stanton talking about his wife still seeing Dr. Petersen

Excerpt From: Day, Sylvia. “Bared to You.†Penguin Group, USA, 2012-05-29. iBooks.

She was a debutant who accepted being disowned by her family rather then give up Victor's unborn child.

She gave up Victor, the man she loved, to insure their child had the best possible life.

She accepted, supported, and nurtured Cary for her daughter and utilized her husband's assets to do it.

Most important (to me to forgive her shortcomings), she put her marriage and her relationship with her daughter at risk for a chance to spend time with Victor after 25 years.

Hi GLH

She worries constantly about her daughter's safety and well-being. She uses the resources of her husbands. (too many to present)

“As soon as she’d found out what her stepson was doing to me, she’d left a husband she was happy with and filed for divorce.â€....Eva talking about her mother

“You were an innocent, Eva. She feels guilty for not protecting you. We need to give her a little latitude.â€...Stanton talking about his wife still seeing Dr. Petersen

She was a debutant who accepted being disowned by her family rather then give up Victor's unborn child.

She gave up Victor, the man she loved, to insure their child had the best possible life.

She accepted, supported, and nurtured Cary for her daughter and utilized her husband's assets to do it.

Most important (to me to forgive her shortcomings), she put her marriage and her relationship with her daughter at risk for a chance to spend time with Victor after 25 years.

Sorry Betty but I can't give you this one...Was Eva's life actually the best possible life? The fact is that it was far from it. If Monica had stayed with Victor or even if Eva had lived with Victor or if Monica had given Eva up for adoption the chances are slim to none that she would have been brutally raped and terrorized by a stepbrother. As for supporting and nurturing Cary ; she had no choice. This was probably the first time she had ever seen Eva happy in years and close to being "normal". And of course her relationship with Cary evolved from Victor's intervention due to the therapy with Dr. Travis not from Monica's "mothering." Lastly she slept with Victor to escape his wrath. She turned on the tears and played damsel in distress and Victor fell for it because of his vulnerability due to the fact that YES he still loves her. The fact that Victor is a hot hunk was the icing on the cake. It certainly wasn't a sacrifice for Monica to relive her teenage fantasies with her first love!! Monica is not the victim here . Eva is and always has been the victim of Monica's lack of mothering skills.

Good morning everyone I have just read the responses to my Victor and Monica subplot.

Her first husband was content with just Nathan and Eva. We do not know much about the second husband except he gambled a lot. Monica has been described as a "trophy wife" for Stanton which can often be "arm candy". Also Stanton is much older and there is no information about his life before Monica but he does not seem to have any children. Just a thought, maybe he is gay.

Once Eva marries Gideon, Monica will not have to worry about money for Eva or herself.

I think Monica and Victory with a second child after their second meeting in twenty-five years is too delicious not to think about. In other words a second chance for Eva's parents is the second ultimate happy ending in this series and very romantic.

Fellow Crossfire fans, have fun with my thoughts!

PS

Stanton hiding that he is gay would not be unheard of for a man of his generation and social position.

Hi Betty,

I read your comments and a completely hillarious idea came to mind; if Stanton is gay, then maybe he'll wind up with Cary..ok, ok, just being seriously cheeky here...way too long to wait for a snippet or two. ;)

Hi Betty the possibility of Stanton being gay has surfaced on earlier pages in this forum. I personally have discounted it because I think that Eva or Cary certainly would have commented on the possibility themselves. As for Monica being pregnant I think it is definitely a possibility especially since Cary made that curious comment to Victor in EWY about him having more children. That being said I just want to say SAY IT AINT SO. I think Victor can do so much better than a gold digger like Monica and he deserves a woman who loves him for who he his and not wishing he were someone else !!! I also agree with whoever posted that Eva would not be happy with this situation and I totally agree it would be like her father was trapped by the black widow Monica again only 24 years later. Will history repeat itself? I guess only Sylvia knows for sure!! :). :)

Oh my goodness, I am sitting here roaring with laughter Sscrph!  :)

Am in Italy and have time to check in since it rained all day here in Florence and my husband and I are so tired.

I hope Monica is not pregnant. She really is just too into herself and Victor is too nice to have to deal with her crap again.

I don't think Stanton is gay. Monica thrives on men. Straight men.

Just retread BTY and fell in love with Gideon all over again. Sylvia's quotes the other day on fb made me need a fix. Great lines.

Hi GLH,

I read your comment and I just thought of something; does Monica thrive on straight men or men with money? 

I hope you have a wonderful time in Italy!  If you get a chance and go by a sweet shop; try a kikingerie (I have sounded out a word in Italian).  It is some kind of fruit that is candied and then dipped in chocolate.  It also has its dried leaves attached to the fruit.  The fruit is small like a cherry (in size) and yellow-orange in colour.  They are only available during the month of October and are absolutely delicious!!  Enjoy!  :)

Hi GLH

Hi Betty,

I read your comments and it appears that Eva pegged Stanton correctly.  He enables her mothers' neurotic and unhealthy behaviours (where Eva is concerned) and that's not love. 

As far as the whole thing about Monica having left a marriage where she was happy; but for the fact that Monica had grossly and consistently neglected her daughter for four years; Eva would never have been raped and tortured on a nearly daily basis.  Again, Monica hasn't shown a modicum of good judgement where Eva has been concerned.

As for the fact that Monica left the marriage, I respectfully submit that Monica had no choice but to leave that marriage.  If she wasn't willing to immediately separate herself and her daughter from an ever-present danger (i.e. Nathan), Monica would have lost custody of Eva.  No court/CPS would have allowed Monica to retain custody given those circumstances.  This is a point that was very hotly debated earlier on on some of the other threads. 

If you get a chance, go back and read through some of the threads about these topics.  They were very hotly debated for many months.  :)

I think only Sylvia and I are Monica's champions

Sylvia has not written unkind things about Monica.

No one in the series blames Monica for what happened to Eva except Monica.  Gideon says in his speech at the advocacy dinner "In North America, childhood sexual abuse is experienced by one in every four women and one in every six men." which would mean more then 25% of all parents lack skills. Eva says "No.  My God, if she'd known, she would've gotten me out of there." when Gideon asked her "Did you tell your mother?"

Eva only accuses her mother of "smothering".  She only really becomes angry at Monica and Victory for sleeping together.  She is against cheating on Stanton because he was good to them but Eva admitts she would be "less freaked about it if they'd gone somewhere else."

I did not read of any wrath from Victor toward Monica except when he tells Eva "I'm never going to forgive her for not giving you my last name when you were born."  By the time of this story he is no longer angry about the money.

I did searches in all three books becuase my copies are ebooks!

Monica is not abusive. She is just so self absorbed. Smothering makes her feel less guilty. If she had been smothering when Eva was little she would have figured something out when Eva really needed the protection. I don't dislike her like I do Lizzie. She found out about the abuse, she left with no excuses. Finally she put her child first--and quickly. People who are so into their own needs don't see what is going on right under their noses unless it directly affects them. Monica could have done what Lizzie did. She didn't and I respect her for that. I think she does the best she can do given her basic nature. She sees a shrink. She tries. But given the fact Stanton babies her, she remains a child herself.

As for Victor--- I don't doubt for a minute she still loves him. This was not trying to relive a past. They still love each other. The shame is that for some reason which we don't quite know yet, Monica has to have money. Lots of it. At least she knows that about herself. Sadly, both she and Victor suffer because of it. I don't feel sorry for her. I do feel sorry for Victor. I like him a lot.

As for the candies--- we are leaving Florence for Venice today. Do they have them there?

Monica is not abusive. She is just so self absorbed. Smothering makes her feel less guilty. If she had been smothering when Eva was little she would have figured something out when Eva really needed the protection. I don't dislike her like I do Lizzie. She found out about the abuse, she left with no excuses. Finally she put her child first--and quickly. People who are so into their own needs don't see what is going on right under their noses unless it directly affects them. Monica could have done what Lizzie did. She didn't and I respect her for that. I think she does the best she can do given her basic nature. She sees a shrink. She tries. But given the fact Stanton babies her, she remains a child herself.

As for Victor--- I don't doubt for a minute she still loves him. This was not trying to relive a past. They still love each other. The shame is that for some reason which we don't quite know yet, Monica has to have money. Lots of it. At least she knows that about herself. Sadly, both she and Victor suffer because of it. I don't feel sorry for her. I do feel sorry for Victor. I like him a lot.

As for the candies--- we are leaving Florence for Venice today. Do they have them there?

Hi GLH,

The candied fruit is available all throughout Italy and Switzerland only for a limited time, but yes you should be able to find them where ever you go.  I really hope that you like them. :)

Now that I have my mind off of those delicious candied fruit, I read your posting and I am conflicted.  I just wanted to clarify that Monica isn't abusive (from my perspective), she had been grossly neglectful (as her actions have proven).  She is also manipulative and can't see past herself-which would make her self-absorbed.  :)

Every time Eva had a conflict with her mother, Monica turned on the water-works.  Monica was never forthcoming with information during Nathan's murder investigation, and only revealed limited and scant information, only after being directly questioned by Eva.

I believe that Monica was so self-absorbed that she didn't even notice what was going on under her own roof.  She was with her daughter for four years; four years where Eva was being raped and tortured on a nearly daily basis (hundreds of times-too many to count).  In a way, Monica is no better than Elizabeth Vidal.  The difference between Monica and Elizabeth Vidal is, that when Eva began "hemorrhaging" due to the miscarriage, Monica didn't know what was going on with her daughter, only that she was in the process of having a medical emergency and didn't have the luxury of taking her daughter to a private medical office.  Eva could have bled to death.

Whereas Ellizabeth Vidal had heard from her own son's mouth, that he was being abused and instead of believing her son, she decided to keep everything private and try to assess whether her son was a liar or not.  So here we have Gideon who was abused on a regular or weekly basis (during counselling sessions) whereas Eva was being raped and tortured on a nearly daily basis under her own mother's roof.  Which is worse?

I think only Sylvia and I are Monica's champions

Sylvia has not written unkind things about Monica.

No one in the series blames Monica for what happened to Eva except Monica.  Gideon says in his speech at the advocacy dinner "In North America, childhood sexual abuse is experienced by one in every four women and one in every six men." which would mean more then 25% of all parents lack skills. Eva says "No.  My God, if she'd known, she would've gotten me out of there." when Gideon asked her "Did you tell your mother?"

Eva only accuses her mother of "smothering".  She only really becomes angry at Monica and Victory for sleeping together.  She is against cheating on Stanton because he was good to them but Eva admitts she would be "less freaked about it if they'd gone somewhere else."

I did not read of any wrath from Victor toward Monica except when he tells Eva "I'm never going to forgive her for not giving you my last name when you were born."  By the time of this story he is no longer angry about the money.

I did searches in all three books becuase I my copies are ebooks!

Hi Betty,

I read your post and will respond to this post a little later.  I have to compile some information to make sure my posting is accurate and reflective of the subject matter.

Gigi

I look forward to your post.

I the meantime, everyones seems to love Victor but they do not want him to have the only woman that can make him happy.  I like Arnoldo's statement to Eva when Gideon gets into the fight with Brett, "I have never seen him the way he is with you.  I can't say you are worthy of him, but you can make him happy."  I think that could be said for Monica and Victor too.

For the record I have always liked Monica and I don't think she is a bad mother at all.  Her problem is she is too focused on money and didn't see the warning signs of her daughter's abuse.  As we find out Monica's secrets in CBY I think more people will view her more favorably. 

That said, she doesn't deserve Victor and I firmly believe she will not be pregnant.  She knows her need of money and both Victor & Monica know she can't settle for being a cops wife. 

Everything we learned from Eva & Cary is that Stanton loves Monica and does his best to make her happy.  I don't think Monica will give that up.

I like Monica (sometimes), but I do think she is stronger than she lets on. Her need for money I believe Sylvia will reveal later in book 4 or 5. She cries whenever there is any kind of confrontation, & the tears are her manipulative way of getting out of such situations. Eva will put touchy issues aside for a later date & Stanton coddles her like a child & I'm sure this is what she is hoping for. She is already seeing a shrink but are they working on this particular issue???

Do I think Monica is pregnant? No. Aren't the next 2 books more about Gideon??? So,no time for that. I'm hoping more info comes to light regarding Gideon, his mother & Christopher Jr. (and also more of Ireland & her responses to these issues)...does she even have a clue???

And here's a topic I don't think we've mentioned...what if Stanton finds out (somehow) that Monica slept with Victor!!! What does everyone think?

Dgcaffeine, I agree with you. I have thought of Stanton finding out about Victor and Monica. Not sure how that will go. Eva told Gideon that Monica has always been the one to leave and her exes didn't want her to. Did it on her terms, that she handles her men... Having one kick her to the curb would really hurt her self esteem. I do think Monica is stronger than she gets credit for and uses her histrionics as a way of controlling those around her. We know Stanton caters to his trophy wife. Would he react like Dr Terry Lucas and take her back, forgiving her, because of his love of her? Somehow, I don't think so. Does Monica have a prenup? Would she be screwed for adultery? Just not enough info to go on here.

I really don't think Monica is stupid enough to get pregnant. She never did again after Eva. And I don't know how Stanton would find out she slept with Victor. I agree that if books 4&5 are about G, then I don't think Sylvia will waste too much time on yet another drama. There are just too many to tie up.

I really don't think Monica is stupid enough to get pregnant. She never did again after Eva. And I don't know how Stanton would find out she slept with Victor. I agree that if books 4&5 are about G, then I don't think Sylvia will waste too much time on yet another drama. There are just too many to tie up.

Not only that but can you imagine Gideon having to deal with a pregnant AND neurotic Monica ? I think he would probably move he and Eva to the Crosswinds Resort permanently!!! I do agree and hope the remaining books focus on Gideon and the missing years we don't know about. I would like to hear Monica's backstory but I hope it will be only a small "snippet"

Not only that but can you imagine Gideon having to deal with a pregnant AND neurotic Monica ? I think he would probably move he and Eva to the Crosswinds Resort permanently!!! I do agree and hope the remaining books focus on Gideon and the missing years we don't know about. I would like to hear Monica's backstory but I hope it will be only a small "snippet"

Good morning everyone I have just read the responses to my Victor and Monica subplot.

Her first husband was content with just Nathan and Eva. We do not know much about the second husband except he gambled a lot. Monica has been described as a "trophy wife" for Stanton which can often be "arm candy". Also Stanton is much older and there is no information about his life before Monica but he does not seem to have any children. Just a thought, maybe he is gay.

Once Eva marries Gideon, Monica will not have to worry about money for Eva or herself.

I think Monica and Victory with a second child after their second meeting in twenty-five years is too delicious not to think about. In other words a second chance for Eva's parents is the second ultimate happy ending in this series and very romantic.

PS

Stanton hiding that he is gay would not be unheard of for a man of his generation and social position.

PS

I think Monica being pregnant again would be disastrous. i think that Victor needs to move on, once and for all.