"Captivated by You"

Sylvia Day

This is what bothers me about the quote ; how can their vows expose old wounds and insecurities. Gideon is the one that wanted those vows more than anything and he piece of paper for the security of it. I just can't wrap my head around this quote and I have felt unsettled all day. I know it's just a book but it really bothers me. What do you all think?

I've been looking at this myself. Maybe Eva is afraid that her past is going to ruin Gideon. She got the sex tape, she's got him killing Nathan. I mean in all honesty Nathan being a POS doesn't take away the fact that Gideon killed him, and someone knows about it.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what bothers me about the quote ; how can their vows expose old wounds and insecurities. Gideon is the one that wanted those vows more than anything and he piece of paper for the security of it. I just can't wrap my head around this quote and I have felt unsettled all day. I know it's just a book but it really bothers me. What do you all think?

It is funny you said this because several people I talked to feel the same way. 

As I read through it again I'm wondering if Gideon is closing himself off, like going to California and not telling Eva, and she called him on it.  Maybe the confrontation is at Dr. Petersen's office and Gideon does a duck and hide maneuver resulting in Eva telling him something like "It is time for you to talk."  You know Gideon is going to fight her until she brings him through to the other side. He won't give her up but it is probably a difficult journey with terrible nightmares and confrontations.

I've been looking at this myself. Maybe Eva is afraid that her past is going to ruin Gideon. She got the sex tape, she's got him killing Nathan. I mean in all honesty Nathan being a POS doesn't take away the fact that Gideon killed him, and someone knows about it.

You are right Kirsten.  She brought up not taking his name and he wouldn't hear it.  Eva's past combined with Gideon's is sure to cause pain.

It is funny you said this because several people I talked to feel the same way. 

As I read through it again I'm wondering if Gideon is closing himself off, like going to California and not telling Eva, and she called him on it.  Maybe the confrontation is at Dr. Petersen's office and Gideon does a duck and hide maneuver resulting in Eva telling him something like "It is time for you to talk."  You know Gideon is going to fight her until she brings him through to the other side. He won't give her up but it is probably a difficult journey with terrible nightmares and confrontations.

I think you are right with the closing himself off and just handling things without even talking to Eva. She takes that as him shutting her out and she has trust issues.

I think you are right with the closing himself off and just handling things without even talking to Eva. She takes that as him shutting her out and she has trust issues.

Kristen,  So true.  I've missed talking to you but I have read many of the books you suggested.  I was hoping everyone would return as soon as Sylvia posted something.  I love the insight, debates and all round  fun banter. 

BTW I see there will be another Book Bash in Orlando next year.  They posted that the tickets will go on sale in January.  I set a reminder so I can get in.  They are sure it will be a sell out again.

Kristen,  So true.  I've missed talking to you but I have read many of the books you suggested.  I was hoping everyone would return as soon as Sylvia posted something.  I love the insight, debates and all round  fun banter. 

BTW I see there will be another Book Bash in Orlando next year.  They posted that the tickets will go on sale in January.  I set a reminder so I can get in.  They are sure it will be a sell out again.

Hi Sharon will Sylvia be at the Book Bash for certain?

I just keep remembering Sylvia saying in that interview that Gideon and Eva are solid . It just makes you wonder if Gideon's past is darker than we have been led to believe so far. I keep going back to that pre-nup. It is structured to give Eva everything so Gideon must really be afraid of what will be revealed and not only that will he be a different person when he comes out the other side.

I have been so swamped with work, but couldn't resist this morning when I had a free moment coming onto the site. Of course Sylvia had posted a few minutes before so I was thrilled. :)

Book Bash will be held again next year. There has been talk of having it be a two day event and all of last years authors have been invited back. I am hoping Sylvia will be there again. I will let you know when I hear about tickets going on sale. It is supposed to be January, with the event being held at the same hotel the last weekend of June.

Lastly, I hope you have enjoyed my book selections Sharon. Most of the authors I read are indie or start out that way at least.

Thank Kirsten for this, well said, I hope he does trust her, he has always said he trusts her with his life and she completes him so I am hoping he will let her in bit by bit but it will be hard for Eva as she will want to know more but he can only go at the pace he is happy with.

I long for them to have their HEA as well

It's so difficult to be a survivor of any sort of sexual abuse. Gideon is in a place where he thinks he played a role in this, that on some level he wanted this. He didn't want that. He was a child for goodness sakes. I do believe he trusts Eva, but at the same time he is ashamed of what happened and he has done everything in his power to bury it. He has a long hard road ahead of him.

It's so difficult to be a survivor of any sort of sexual abuse. Gideon is in a place where he thinks he played a role in this, that on some level he wanted this. He didn't want that. He was a child for goodness sakes. I do believe he trusts Eva, but at the same time he is ashamed of what happened and he has done everything in his power to bury it. He has a long hard road ahead of him.

You are so right.  I remember I got a lump in my throat when Gideon told Eva he wished it hurt more.  It is so obvious by his nightmares that it hurt a lot and regardless if it hurt at all it shouldn't have happened.  I feel so bad for him.  I know there will be many, many tears as I read this book.

I think that it's much easier to shutdown and avoid. Gideon's past is painful and he's going to be hurting and he doesn't want anyone to see him like that. Obviously Eva loves him and wants to help him, but will he let her? Does he trust her enough to let her completely in?

Gideon needs the reassurance and validation that he never got from Lizzy. He needs to know that Eva loves him unconditionally, but until he trusts her completely he'll never be totally sure.

Hi Kirsten,

I agree with both of your points.  It will be interesting to see how Gideon and Eva's relationship will develop.   

I posted a message to Sylvia that we are killing her characters and only she can save them with some information.  I wonder if this means we have to stop our little game? :-)

The more info Sylvia gives us will slow down our character killing because we will be tooooooo busy commenting and analysising her titbits of Captivated By You!

Hopefully the publisher will have a release date soon.

It's my birthday on 15th a release date would be a lovely present !

:)

Hi Sscrph,

Could that be a reference to the upcoming "wedding" in New York?  Hmmm....now the wheels are turning...

Hi Kirsten,

What does POS mean please?  Thanks in advance.

I have been thinking on the quote since yesterday. One thing keeps hitting me. I have read the back covers of a lot of books over the years. They are always provocative and often exaggerate to get people excited to buy the book. So, I am hoping that the angst we are all feeling is a little hyped. Geez, how much crap can one couple take?

As for Gideon's past---I am thinking Hugh shows up somehow. I think we will learn more about Chris Jr. and his role. Lucas will be more revealed. We will find out more about Angus and that past. Maybe finally find out just why Lizzie wouldn't believe her son. Those kinds of things. Gideon's reaction to all this stuff could be what they clip is about. I refuse to believe that G and E are anything but solid. Eva said she is no longer running. I hope that is true. In the first 3 books Gideon was holding them together. If these last 2 are his story, then I think it will be Eva's turn to keep them working.

Since Sylvia started posting lines on fb, I have been rereading. Up to EWY. Eva was difficult in the first books so I guess it is Gideon's turn. Eva is going to make Gideon face things he may not want to. He will get . It will be hard. It I think in the end they will be really together and happy.

Just my take. I cannot stand when they are not solid. (I think I am too invested in fictional characters. Lol)