"Captivated by You"

Sylvia Day

I was watching Good Will Hunting the other night...and there's the scene w/ Will (Matt Damon) and Sean (Robin Williams -for those of you who haven't seen it) ....It's when Sean is giving Will that huge speech about being a coward and how he doesn't know him like he thinks he does...But there was one part that stood out and Crossfire (surprise!) popped in my head!

I was a huge scene, I just cut out the part that made me think of Gid/Eva...sigh..... :)

I forgot how great that movie is!

If I asked you about love, you'd probably quote me a sonnet, but you've never looked at a woman and been totally vulnerable. Known someone that could level you with her eyes. Feelin' like God put an angel on Earth just for you, who could rescue you from the depths of h*ll. And you wouldn't know what it's like to be her angel, to have that love for her be there forever. Through anything

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, techniclly Gideon hasn't really been "truthful"  Remember when the Dr. asked about sexual encounters and he replied at least twice weekly and earlier Gideon had said to Eva that he has had more sex with Eva in the past month than he has had in the past two years.  (he did explain the difference, but even if he didn't use his d**k, it still is sexual. 

also when he said he didn't mastu**ate.....when she gave him the towels.....he further explained that he stro**d off daily with shower, after Eva only once and she was there.....Really sometimes Gideon doesn't know the meaning of ":is" is.....

but I still love the series and just waiting patiently.

Gotta love our Gideon, but he's got such strange, narrow definitions of everything. Plus some serious double standards at times.

Eva danced with Stanton's nephew, and Gideon got p i s s e d and jealous because he believed the guy was attracted to Eva. Yet Eva's not supposed to think anything of all those dozens, maybe hundreds of women, Gideon used sex tools on but did not s c r e w.

Gideon gets justifiably p i s s e d that Eva simply kissed Brett. But he expected her to believe he wasn't s c r e w i n g Corrine again despite all the evidence to the contrary, most especially photographic proof he took Corrine to the f-pad hotel.

According to Gideon's system of rules, he never dumped a woman. So when Eva hit him with the remark "The Dumped By Gideon Sisterhood," he bristled and said, "Don't be catty." Did Eva hit a nerve?

Before Eva, he believed if he laid out the parameters at the very beginning, there shouldn't be "exaggerated expectations and disappointments." And early on, when Eva asked him point blank what his definition of "dating" was, he said "lengthy social time spent with a woman during which we're not actively f u c k i n g."

So by his own definition, he was dating Magdalene plus assorted other brunettes he was photographed with in social settings? Including Corrine those couple of weeks he used her as his cover? Didn't matter whether he was telling the women "just friends." He was spending one-on-one time with them. Plus, his public behavior made everyone assume there was something more? In Corrine's case, Gideon deliberately fostered that impression, and confessed as much to Eva, him feeling terribly guilty. In Maggie's case, she believed he was keeping her on hold until he got s c r e w i n g around out of his system. Him not sleeping with Maggie had her believing she had something special with him? In Corrine's case, she was deluded into thinking her chasing him was slowly working?

By  his own definition, he never dumped Eva, even though he led her and everyone to believe he'd thrown her over for Corrine. Eva came to the conclusion he was too much of a coward to come out and say it was over, so Eva did it for him. I'll bet he believes he never dumped Anne either -- sending her back to her husband didn't constitute dumping.

Gideon may know a thousand ways to make a woman come, but he sure can be clueless at times about how his actions out of bed make women come to certain natural conclusions. Because when a guy's words and actions don't match, women are going to go by actions.

Well, loving Eva opened his eyes to many things. He saw how his actions broke Eva's heart. Plus he's learned a brutal lesson about sending mixed messages to a woman he knew for certain was in love with him, Corrine.

As I see The Dumped By Gideon Sisterhood, and the members' justifications of wanting revenge, as things stood the night Eva hit him with the sisterhood snark:

1. Eva: he deliberately broke her heart and via his actions dumped her. She would have been more than justified wanting revenge. But she was above that.

2. Corrine: he deliberately sent mixed messages and broke her heart when he subsequently cut her off. She would have been more than justified being hurt and angry, but her revenge was totally inappropriate.

3. Maggie: he was clueless. She had a right to be hurt the first time she saw him on a date with Eva, and she did get catty that night. But she was above seeking revenge.

4. Anne: he deliberately manipulated her. She has a right to be angry, but does not have a right to do something psycho in revenge.

5. Deanna: come on. It was a one-night-stand! Her reaction of wanting revenge is waaaay over the top. Like something straight out of the film Fatal Attraction, she's gone bunny-boiler. And was putting herself in the same class as Eva, Corrine, Maggie -- accosting all three women in her revenge plot, hoping to enlist them? Well, definitely enlist Eva. Safe bet Deanna tried similar approach with Maggie. Who knows what Deanna was doing to mess with Corrine.

6. 7. 8. 9. 10. ... dozens ... hundreds? ........ however many other women are out there, from every single one he took to that hotel room, regardless of whether he stuck his d i c k into each, plus however many other brunettes he dated but never f u c k e d. I hope that now by the end of Entwined With You, "all the devils are here" as Shakespeare would say. We're not going to meet any more of Gideon's exes in Captivated By You.

as far Deanna, she is gona dig up Eva's past as far as painting her as a pig.

That's a distinct possibility. Deanna knows serious dirt about Eva and Brett. The only way to hurt Gideon is to hurt Eva. If Deanna has figured that out, and she's still bent on getting revenge against him, then using Eva's sexual past against GidEva would do it. Whether or not Deanna could succeed is another story. Way back in Bared To You, Gideon vowed to destroy any journalist who tried to make Eva's painful past public. At the time, he was talking about the Nathan secrets. But this would apply just as much to Eva's promiscious past. Especially because Gideon understands why Eva used to be so wild. Because she had been damaged. She's not that way any more. Because she got help, and she got his love.

If I asked you about love, you'd probably quote me a sonnet, but you've never looked at a woman and been totally vulnerable. Known someone that could level you with her eyes. Feelin' like God put an angel on Earth just for you, who could rescue you from the depths of h*ll. And you wouldn't know what it's like to be her angel, to have that love for her be there forever. Through anything

Love the film too. And yes, this is totally Gideon, sigh, :)

Currently showing on Showtime - The Cool Light of Day (2012) the movie that conviced me Henry was Gideon.  He looks really yummy in it even if it is a 'B' movie at best :)

Never heard of this movie, but looks interesting. Henry really does look yummy! My hubby won't like me drooling over such a young buck - bad enough I moon over Kevin Costner and Tom Selleck! Oh we'll .....

I was watching Good Will Hunting the other night...and there's the scene w/ Will (Matt Damon) and Sean (Robin Williams -for those of you who haven't seen it) ....It's when Sean is giving Will that huge speech about being a coward and how he doesn't know him like he thinks he does...But there was one part that stood out and Crossfire (surprise!) popped in my head!

I was a huge scene, I just cut out the part that made me think of Gid/Eva...sigh..... :)

I forgot how great that movie is!

Hi Nathalia, yes, this is definitely Gideon & Eva!

I wonder whether in Captivated By You, we will meet more bitter enemies out of the shadows? Or if the main enemies have been introduced in the first three novels? Will the next two novels focus on Gideon's journey toward wellness, and during this, we learn more of the back story of the roles the various characters have played?

In the FAQ section of Sylvia's main site, is says "The first 2 ½ books were Eva’s story. By the midpoint of Entwined with You, Eva has confronted the reality of Gideon’s sacrifice, her skeletons are out of the closet, and she’s faced some hard truths about her parents. Now it’s Gideon’s turn. He really needed Eva to be strong in order for him to get his life together. The last 2 ½ books are Gideon’s story." I remember reading that originally, Crossfire was conceived as a trilogy, but that changed to five books in order to do justice to Gideon's own journey.

The worst of the bitter enemies in the shadows are dead: Nathan (for Eva and Gideon both.) and Hugh (for Gideon.) Among the living cast of characters, I think some definitely are bitter enemies and will remain so. Some probably will stay enemies, and some who currently are enemies could turn into allies in the end? And some, I just don't know - could go other way? Then there are the folks who aren't really enemies but are complications?

Definite bitter enemies permanently:

Terry Lucas (Gideon and now probably Eva?)

Corrine (Eva)

Now enemies and probably will stay that way:

Jean-Francois Giroux (Gideon)

Anne Lucas (Eva and possibly now Gideon?)

Now enemies but could turn into allies by the end:

Elizabeth Vidal (Eva)

Christopher Vidal Jr. (Gideon)

Could go either way:

Deanna (Gideon and maybe Eva?) - I struggled whether to put her on the enemies list. I go back and forth. She definitely started out as one, but did she turn ally at the end?

Tatianna Cherlin (Eva) - I struggled whether to list her too. Especially because she isn't from Gideon's nor Eva's past.

Complications:

Brett Kline (Gideon and Eva)

Detective Graves (Gideon and now possibly Eva?)

Anyone else want to jump in with thoughts and their own lists of who is in what category? I'll bet some would place Brett on an enemies list. Did I miss anyone?

I think there are enough enemies already for me.  I hope Sylvia deals with some of the crap already there like Corinne, Anne, and my favorite Deanna.  We also have to find out about that bracelet and how that played out.  Then there is Brett and the se x tape which I am sure he knew something about.  Add to that Lizzie and her sickening self, a wedding, Monica's back story, Tat's pregnancy and I think that's a whole lot for 2 books.  Especially if Gideon's mental health is the  main focus.  

Hi Hotreads & GLH, I think both of you have everything covered. Anything more will just crowd the books & I think we'll feel rushed & important issues will be incomplete. We don't want that. I hope Gideon's issues are dealt with in depth & also all of the other  problems/distractions that GLH mentioned. That's enough to deal with. Oh...and of course we need room in the books for more hot sex!!!

I think there are enough enemies already for me.  I hope Sylvia deals with some of the crap already there like Corinne, Anne, and my favorite Deanna.  We also have to find out about that bracelet and how that played out.  Then there is Brett and the se x tape which I am sure he knew something about.  Add to that Lizzie and her sickening self, a wedding, Monica's back story, Tat's pregnancy and I think that's a whole lot for 2 books.  Especially if Gideon's mental health is the  main focus.  

Well said GLH.  :)

Hi Hotreads & GLH, I think both of you have everything covered. Anything more will just crowd the books & I think we'll feel rushed & important issues will be incomplete. We don't want that. I hope Gideon's issues are dealt with in depth & also all of the other  problems/distractions that GLH mentioned. That's enough to deal with. Oh...and of course we need room in the books for more hot sex!!!

Definitely more hot sex!!! And even hotter sex!!! Honestly, I thought after reading Bared To You and Reflected In You one right after the other, there was no way to top the mind-blowing sex. But Entwined With You managed to be hotter still.

As Gideon learns to trust Eva even more and so open up even more, I'm sure we'll learn more of the backstories of the characters like the Lucases. Gideon was the one who told Eva about Hugh. Then there's the possibility Eva will learn things about Gideon's past from other people, such as Lizzie if she continues to shoot her mouth off and make threats to Eva? How about Angus? Might he confide more in Eva, for Gideon's sake, now that she is Gideon's wife? The third way Eva will find things out is by directly witnessing things. Like her own face-to-face interactions with the Lucases?

I think book 4 will spin our heads. book 5 will pull Gideon and Eva closer and we will get our happy ending

I think book 4 will spin our heads. book 5 will pull Gideon and Eva closer and we will get our happy ending

Reflected In You was very much about Eva's agony over her issues, and how she overcame it. I fear Captivated By You is going to be Gideon's turn at agony. And maybe end with another huge cliffhanger? But every single book thus far has ended with Gideon and Eva in each other's arms, and I'm sure Captivated By You's final page will have them together. And hopefully Book 5 with them together the whole time, no pulling away, Like Entwined With You had them together the whole time, no estrangements caused by their issues? Eva's already quit running. Now Gideon needs to quit shutting down.

Hi Ladies~

Can someone tell me where the topic about other Books went?  GiGi had made a list of Books with authors names, they were books that we all recommended. These were suggestions to hold us over until CBY comes out..... I'm beginning to think it won't be released until 2014, sadly... Any-who if anyone can help me, I would greatly appreciate it!!

Sincerely, Shannon

Hi Ladies~

Can someone tell me where the topic about other Books went?  GiGi had made a list of Books with authors names, they were books that we all recommended. These were suggestions to hold us over until CBY comes out..... I'm beginning to think it won't be released until 2014, sadly... Any-who if anyone can help me, I would greatly appreciate it!!

Sincerely, Shannon

Hi Shannon,

The topic is alive. You can find it on The Sylvia Day Fan Comunity/Welcome centre/Introductions and  general discussions/Books as good as the Crossfire Series or following this link:'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

GiGi has the updated list up to this month, and as she said on that topic, she'll e-mail a copy to you if you send her your email.

Hope that helps

G

OK at the risk of poking the proverbial bear cage, I'm going to suggest Brett is not an enemy lured out of the shadows. Though I'm going to reserve final judgment until I read in Captivated By You how he handles the news of the sex tape. Especially because Eva plans to tell him face-to-face in San Diego during the opening weekend of Captivated By You?

I'm hoping Brett will gracefully throw in the towel on Eva like Maggie did on Gideon? Now that he has proof GidEva are back together permanently? I'm also hoping Dr. Travis, whom Eva plans to see during the San Diego weekend, will talk some sense into her? She needs to cut off Brett? I think she's still working through the issue of Gideon deliberately breaking her heart. It's been only two weeks. And until the last few days, Gideon still hadn't cut off all contact with his own ex. Hopefully, Dr. Travis could help Eva quit subconsciously punishing Gideon by her still having contact with Brett?

OK, have at it ladies. I know Brett's high up on the unpopular list here.

OK at the risk of poking the proverbial bear cage, I'm going to suggest Brett is not an enemy lured out of the shadows. Though I'm going to reserve final judgment until I read in Captivated By You how he handles the news of the sex tape. Especially because Eva plans to tell him face-to-face in San Diego during the opening weekend of Captivated By You?

I'm hoping Brett will gracefully throw in the towel on Eva like Maggie did on Gideon? Now that he has proof GidEva are back together permanently? I'm also hoping Dr. Travis, whom Eva plans to see during the San Diego weekend, will talk some sense into her? She needs to cut off Brett? I think she's still working through the issue of Gideon deliberately breaking her heart. It's been only two weeks. And until the last few days, Gideon still hadn't cut off all contact with his own ex. Hopefully, Dr. Travis could help Eva quit subconsciously punishing Gideon by her still having contact with Brett?

OK, have at it ladies. I know Brett's high up on the unpopular list here.

I'm with you Hotreads I still maintain that Brett was not involved with the release of the sex tape...as Gideon said he wrote a love song about Eva...a guy doesn't lay his heart open like that if he just wants to F U C * around !!! NEED BOOK 4 NOW!!!

I'm with you Hotreads I still maintain that Brett was not involved with the release of the sex tape...as Gideon said he wrote a love song about Eva...a guy doesn't lay his heart open like that if he just wants to F U C * around !!! NEED BOOK 4 NOW!!!

I agree w you two. I mean, I'd like to think he's not nothing to do w the guy trying to release it . But , he's gotta know of it , no? The music video was made w the tape in mind. I really hope it doesn't get released. How many times can Eva be abused? Who knows how many people saw it already , plus there's also the videos/ pics that Nathan had. It's too much.