"Captivated by You"

Sylvia Day

I just wrote that as you have the right to know what people are saying

Why would I want to know? That's not a rhetorical question, I'm sincerely asking. There is no point in being the bearer of bad news if the recipient of that news can do nothing about it. For example, it's one thing to tell a friend that you overheard their neighbor complaining that their car is leaking fluid on the street and making a mess. The friend could fix their car. Bad news, positive outcome. But telling a friend that you overheard their neighbor saying the blue color of their car is hideous serves no purpose but to create ill-will and hurt the friend. The color of the car is not going to be changed, so nothing can be done. Bad news, bad outcome. That's not the best example, of course, but then it's not yet 8 AM and I'm not caffeinated yet. Forgive me (and any typos I might've missed).

My mother was very strict about filtering news, so I make concious decisions in that regard. She taught me to always question the purpose behind passing along bad news. Is it helpful to do so? If not, then don't do it.

I'll have to tell her about this post when she returns from visiting our family in Japan. She'll be tickled that I quoted one of her many childhood lessons. (See, Mom? I was paying attention. :) )

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Sylvia,

Thank you for taking the time to post all of the many, wonderful little snippets for all of your fans.  I really appreciate it and I am sure that It is greatly appreciated by many, many of your fans.  :)  Thanks again.  :)

GiGi  :)

I wish I could post the whole book, so we could talk about it!! :)

Why would I want to know? That's not a rhetorical question, I'm sincerely asking. There is no point in being the bearer of bad news if the recipient of that news can do nothing about it. For example, it's one thing to tell a friend that you overheard their neighbor complaining that their car is leaking fluid on the street and making a mess. The friend could fix their car. Bad news, positive outcome. But telling a friend that you overheard their neighbor saying the blue color of their car is hideous serves no purpose but to create ill-will and hurt the friend. The color of the car is not going to be changed, so nothing can be done. Bad news, bad outcome. That's not the best example, of course, but then it's not yet 8 AM and I'm not caffeinated yet. Forgive me (and any typos I might've missed).

My mother was very strict about filtering news, so I make concious decisions in that regard. She taught me to always question the purpose behind passing along bad news. Is it helpful to do so? If not, then don't do it.

I'll have to tell her about this post when she returns from visiting our family in Japan. She'll be tickled that I quoted one of her many childhood lessons. (See, Mom? I was paying attention. :) )

Hi sylvia you got your saying but my mum told me is better to be told bad new to my face than say it behind my back and I would prefer that because it would make me angry that why I told you sorry if see anything bad about you I will keep it to my self but we have waited long enough for this book and I know that you are waiting to finish the 5th book to bring captivated outs but how long does it take to write a book you said 4to6 weeks am I right or wrong and I know you do other thing besides writing

Well said Kristen. I just like talking about GidEva so why don't we start some stimulating discussions in that direction to pass the time; at this time last year we were talking all day not complaining!! :). :)

yes! I like this idea!

Do y'all think the next book will close the story line of carry and the baby? I kinda feel like the baby isn't his.

OMG! You are so right! Why didn't I think of that?! There's no way that skank Tatiana is having his baby, lol. Oh the scandal. I'm totally convinced now that it's not his.

I have often wondered over my ten year career what posts like this are supposed to accomplish? Am I supposed to feel bad, to cry, to stress out, to fight with my publisher...? Why would anyone want to inflict that sort of unpleasantness on someone else? It's so small and cruel, I can't wrap my head around it. Is there something positive that's supposed to be taken from such a post? Or is it just a passive-aggressive way of being a bully?

As a reader myself, I have authors I adore because of the characters and stories they've gifted me with. I feel tremendous gratitute toward them for being the conduit through which I've met characters I love and experienced situations that have deep sentimental value to me. I would never abuse those writers for the time it takes them to craft their books or the professional circumstances they may face. I owe them a huge debt and I never forget it.

As a writer, I learned long ago not to let anything affect me personally. It's a well-known fact that artists must have a "thick skin" and mine's titanium. :) So, tbidwell, save your fingers from typing demands passed on from elsewhere. The books will come out when they come out. I will carry on as I've always carried on. In the end, the only thing that really matters is that I've written the best books I can.

Sylvia

LUV this Sylvia ...Spoken like a true Olivia Pope fan!! :). :)

^^ so true

I am doing a little rereading and Eva totally flirts with Brett when they do the video launch thing.

I agree and she shouldn't have invited him up to her apartment. Eva just should have said thanks for inviting me and enjoy the rest of your tour. Eva would have been furious if Gideon had done something like that...she wasn't too thrilled when Gideon took Deanna to bar for wine to discuss the apology and Deanna then telling him about the s e x video. Four years have past since she has seen Brett and now she wants to be friends with him?!?

France would certainly be a nice honeymoon destination but I think the wedding will be at Christmastime so there will be snow on the grapes!!

France would be a great place for Gideva to have their honeymoon, but only at a time when Giroux & Corrine ARE NOT ANYWHERE IN THAT COUNTRY. We don't want any unexpected (or accidently on purpose)  run-ins to spoil their love & sexcapades!

France would be a great place for Gideva to have their honeymoon, but only at a time when Giroux & Corrine ARE NOT ANYWHERE IN THAT COUNTRY. We don't want any unexpected (or accidently on purpose)  run-ins to spoil their love & sexcapades!

Yes very true I say they go to Italy because Eva loves to eat and of course they can have sexcapades among the ruins!!

Yes very true I say they go to Italy because Eva loves to eat and of course they can have sexcapades among the ruins!!

Italy would be good too. Eva would be moaning with pleasure after every delicious bite of fresh pasta & I can see Gideon taking a bottle of extra virgin olive oil, drizzling it all over her body at the hotel & slurping up every drop. Hmm, why am I hungry?

I really wanna see how the conversation went about San Diego! The drop off ending always makes me more eager for the next book!

I'm looking forward to that too, but I'm also anticipating how Deanna mixes into the equation , how she messes up &  Gideon's reaction.

So the readers know who Gideon's abuser was, the guy who was Anne's brother, correct? What is left to find out is what makes Elizabeth deny it as well, am I right? 

Tell me if I have this right: what is left a mystery in the last book is the deal with the mob, where the heck megumi is, why Monica is obsessed with money, and if Brett is involved with the sex tape. I feel like all that can be wrapped up in one book, thinking about how drama packed Sylvia makes them, which makes me wonder what in the world she has in store for us in the next two....

I understand S's reluctance in giving us a time frame for the book, especially because she is still writing the 5th one, but ughhhhh in June it will be a year. My mind is running wild with filling in the holes for everything above. 

Maybe megumi is prego and has had really bad morning sickness, like the kind where you barf all day. But does anyone else think that she is like overlyyyy ? If you think about it, she makes remarks like every scene she is in about how sexy a man is or she says she wants to do someting naughty to them. Like every scene. I think it's hilarious and has become comic relief  when I am rereading. Next time you re-read, notice how she makes some sexual remark about a man ALL the time.  

So the readers know who Gideon's abuser was, the guy who was Anne's brother, correct? What is left to find out is what makes Elizabeth deny it as well, am I right? 

Tell me if I have this right: what is left a mystery in the last book is the deal with the mob, where the heck megumi is, why Monica is obsessed with money, and if Brett is involved with the sex tape. I feel like all that can be wrapped up in one book, thinking about how drama packed Sylvia makes them, which makes me wonder what in the world she has in store for us in the next two....

I understand S's reluctance in giving us a time frame for the book, especially because she is still writing the 5th one, but ughhhhh in June it will be a year. My mind is running wild with filling in the holes for everything above. 

Maybe megumi is prego and has had really bad morning sickness, like the kind where you barf all day. But does anyone else think that she is like overlyyyy ######? If you think about it, she makes remarks like every scene she is in about how sexy a man is or she says she wants to do someting naughty to them. Like every scene. I think it's hilarious and has become comic relief  when I am rereading. Next time you re-read, notice how she makes some sexual remark about a man ALL the time.  

Also how long Gideon was abused; why and how did the abuse stop; what happens with Tiatiana/Cary/Trey; does Corinne leave; does Giroux seek revenge; does Anne know about her brother's suicide and will she seek revenge; what will happen between Monica and Eva's dad; Gideon's relationships with his mother, sister , and brother; and the official wedding just to name a few unanswered questions/plot lines

Maybe megumi is prego and has had really bad morning sickness, like the kind where you barf all day. But does anyone else think that she is like overlyyyy ######? If you think about it, she makes remarks like every scene she is in about how sexy a man is or she says she wants to do someting naughty to them. Like every scene. I think it's hilarious and has become comic relief  when I am rereading. Next time you re-read, notice how she makes some sexual remark about a man ALL the time.

We know why Elizabeth didn't believe Gideon is because she was told by Terrance Lucas that there were no signs of abuse. Yes, we need to know how, why and when ( his age) the abuse stopped. Anne probably knows her brother committed suicide,not the why. and also why Christopher hates Gideon so much.

We know why Elizabeth didn't believe Gideon is because she was told by Terrance Lucas that there were no signs of abuse. Yes, we need to know how, why and when ( his age) the abuse stopped. Anne probably knows her brother committed suicide,not the why. and also why Christopher hates Gideon so much.

I agree with all of the topics you ladies have posted, but the one thing that I hope will be revealed is why Christopher hates Gideon so much. I have an older brother & he received attention when I didn't as a child & we also fought like cats & dogs...typical sibling behavior...but today we love each other dearly. There is much more to this sibling hatred between the two brothers than we know. Maybe Sylvia will reveal that in book 4.