"Captivated by You"

Sylvia Day

Putting this in this thread rather than the spoiler as some members may not be reading that section yet.

Are we setting a date and time when to start discussing the book, bearing in mind due to time differences (and booksellers letting people have the book early) some readers will be ahead of the pack?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Putting this in this thread rather than the spoiler as some members may not be reading that section yet.

Are we setting a date and time when to start discussing the book, bearing in mind due to time differences (and booksellers letting people have the book early) some readers will be ahead of the pack?

I think that as soon as the first group of readers fair-and-square get their copies on the official first release day tomorrow its fair game for fans to start talking about Captivated by you wherever. But I think its only fair here on the fan site to stick to the Spoiler thread at least for now. Some people cannot resist spoilers and some actively look for them. As long as they have advanced warning they're in a thread that contains spoilers then its OK. Thats my own opinion. Like reading reviews and stories about things like books and movies and TV shows. Considerate people especially professional reviewers are careful to give fair warning if something contains spoilers. The new spoiler thread here says that in all capital letters.

I'm reading the reviews on Amazon.co.uk - very mixed. Still moaning about the series originally being a trilogy and it amazes me some readers didn't realise that it had extended to 5 books, even though at the end of Entwined that was explained (I guess once some people reach the last page of the story they go no further). Personally I am very happy that there are 5 books, even though some are seeing CBY as a filler and saying there is no action, I thought there was plenty of things going on (won't mention any here to respect those who have not yet read)and some reviewers seem to have completely missed the fact that we needed to know what is in Gideon's mind to enable us to understand things from the previous books which we have so far only seen with Eva's mind.

Complaints about the amount of s e x but as has been mentioned a successful s e x life is important to abuse sufferers. Sylvia is very descriptive of what they actually do and I guess some would think we only need an allusion to what they are doing - but from the first three books we get to know how Eva feels about the s e x they are having and now we know how Gideon feels as well - we get to see that when he is controlling he is not just using her for gratification, he understands her past can affect what they do. There's more I want to say but it would be a spoiler so I'll end there for the time being.

I suspect that a lot of the reviewers are the same ones who moaned about Entwined with You - they are seeing the books as fillers - well I guess they are fillers in one way but they move the story along and I expect some parts of the last book will be pretty explosive. Can't wait.

I agree that this book is in one way a filler because only a few little questions have an answer there. Of course I was not expecting to obtain all of them, but maybe a little bit more. There's a lot left to the last book and I fear we will not get all the answers or that OWY will end in a rush.  On the bright side, we have a chance to see how Gideon's mind works, which is important.

This book is different. Don't know why, it's just a sensation. Also I found out it lacks of Sylvia's signature sentence, nor once did I read "big, beautiful c***"... I should re-read  to be sure of that.

I agree that this book is in one way a filler because only a few little questions have an answer there. Of course I was not expecting to obtain all of them, but maybe a little bit more. There's a lot left to the last book and I fear we will not get all the answers or that OWY will end in a rush.  On the bright side, we have a change to see how Gideon's mind works, which is important.

This book is different. Don't know why, it's just a sensation. Also I found out it lacks of Sylvia's signature sentence, nor once did I read "big, beautiful c***"... I should re-read  to be sure of that.

on that last statement, Eva did mention that some women don't like hearing that word. So Gideon knows that isn't a nice thing to say. Sylvia did give a very descriptive image of Eva's private parts

Hi jmhope,

The last statement is not a criticism, I just was telling about the fact that in every book written by Sylvia I have read before, I've seen than sentence, but not in CBY, which to me is a little weird, unusual, as I see it as some sort of Sylvia's signature. I don't think Eva mentioning some women don't like hearing that word has something to do with the lack of it on this book, because usually the sentence is part of the heroine 'mind-talk' and it's preceded by the word "his", so is not the hero saying it but the heroine thinking it. It's just something I have linked in my mind, Sylvia's writting style and that phrase somewhere on her books, to the point that only once I read it on a book not written by her and I thought someone was trying to emulate Sylvia.

Just that.  I was not trying to be rude or to offend any of you. If so, please accept my apologies and be sure that was not my intention at all.

Hi jmhope,

The last statement is not a criticism, I just was telling about the fact that in every book written by Sylvia I have read before, I've seen than sentence, but not in CBY, which to me is a little weird, unusual, as I see it as some sort of Sylvia's signature. I don't think Eva mentioning some women don't like hearing that word has something to do with the lack of it on this book, because usually the sentence is part of the heroine 'mind-talk' and it's preceded by the word "his", so is not the hero saying it but the heroine thinking it. It's just something I have linked in my mind, Sylvia's writting style and that phrase somewhere on her books, to the point that only once I read it on a book not written by her and I thought someone was trying to emulate Sylvia.

Just that.  I was not trying to be rude or to offend any of you. If so, please accept my apologies and be sure that was not my intention at all.

I didn't think you were criticizing; Sylvia uses that phrase in almost all her books. Trust me, no offense taken!

Was the correct c*** word picked out there?

In Bared to you Eva says something about HIS beautiful (but not big) c***. No mention of her c*** being big (tight is used most.

In Reflected in you HIS is mentioned 3 times, but only once with the word big but again her c*** is not mentioned as being big or beautiful

Entwined does not have the words beautiful c*** (his) mentioned, nor just with the word big.

Captivated Eva mentions he has a huge c*** - he responds it's not huge. Twice the phrase big c*** is mentioned by Eva thinking about Gideon.

Maybe she's taken to using the phrase just once in a series rather than in each book within the series?

The female c word can cause offence to some, but men do tend to use the word to mean female private parts and indeed in the past the word was actually a word of praise derived from the name of queens, not a derogatory term at all.

I think we started the re-read 1 to 2 weeks after the release to give everyone a chance to read it more than once lol

Hi Sscrph,

It sounds like a good idea.  I know that last time, several of the forum members had to wait a very long time for their books, so it only seems fair to allow members the opportunity to read the book first and join in (or as they wish).  I am sure that members will express their views on the matter in a short time.  :) 

Several comments in this topic have used the word "filler" to describe Captivated By You.  We know there is another book and anyone who has read all of CBY knows there are still a lot of questions we hope to get answered.

I have searched for a different word that fits what Sylvia has done with this book for me.  For me, this is "a book of revelations".

There is so much insight to Gideon and how he became the man he is.  In revealing him, we also learn much more about his family, Corinne, Arnoldo, and even Hugh and Anne.  We learn about his male friendships.  His shows his work ethics and style. So much happens, it is hard to quickly summarize.

As Sylvia stated, the focus is Gideon but more of Eva is also revealed.

When I finished I did feel there is so much more to be said.  Thank goodness a book can be as long as the author needs to bring the story to fruition.

Several comments in this topic have used the word "filler" to describe Captivated By You. We know there is another book and anyone who has read all of CBY knows there are still a lot of questions we hope to get answered.

I have searched for a different word that fits what Sylvia has done with this book for me. For me, this is "a book of revelations".

There is so much insight to Gideon and how he became the man he is. In revealing him, we also learn much more about his family, Corinne, Arnoldo, and even Hugh and Anne. We learn about his male friendships. His shows his work ethics and style. So much happens, it is hard to quickly summarize.

As Sylvia stated, the focus is Gideon but more of Eva is also revealed.

When I finished I did feel there is so much more to be said. Thank goodness a book can be as long as the author needs to bring the story to fruition.

I agree! I do not consider this book filler at all. On my 2nd read through I keep a pen & paper handy to jot down any notes or thoughts that occur to me as I read. With this book I seem to be writing more notes than with any of the previous!!

The insight into Gideon from this book has in my opinion added another dimension to this story which I personally am loving!!

😃

Before I read CBY, I expected a letdown.  Usually in a series there is at least one very weak book.  Today I am surprised.

I may be in the minority but I think this is the best book in the series so far.  In one of her interviews, Sylvia said her editor told her not to change a thing in Captivated By You and now I understand why.  This does not mean I would not have liked more resolutions but I accept the idea that this is where Gideon and Eva are in their relationship to each other and the significant people around them.

Because I know there is more to come, I can put the troublemakers in their corners and wait for Team Cross to deliver their knockout blows on their way to their HEA.

PS

I really hope One With You has Gideon playing on the Outer Bank with his sons and daughter. 

I do not see this as filler at all. So much answered. These characters are multifaceted and quite frankly, could go on forever. Loved this way more than EWY.

I reviewed it on iBooks and Goodreads. Some people obviously didn't read the whole series on Goodreads which I don't get. Sometimes I think people who really like a book don't bother to write a review and people who don't can't wait to bash.

As for it being too sexual? Really-- as I said in the spoiler thread, did they read the other books? Pppffffttt