* * CAPTIVATED BY YOU ++ SPOILER ++ CHAT * *

Kirsten

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so excited to be in here and to have "new" things to discuss.  There are a few things that I want to comment one, but I will stick to just two.  One old and one new.

As I am re-listening (I have read and listened multiple times to the 3 books) to EWY, I am finding myself (for the 1st time) frustrated with Cary.  I know that Cary and Eva have a relationship like no other, but I can't help but be frustrated with his lack of support with Eva regarding Gideon ESPECIALLY when you consider how inconsiderate Cary is by having both Trey and Tatiana (ICK) around, often times on the same day.  Eva has yet to really trash talk either T or T and has put up with Cary's BS of juggling the both T and T.  Eva has even gone as far as to try to help him see the pros and cons of both of them and help Trey to understand Cary.  I  feel like maybe for the small things Cary isn't such a great friend as often as he should be.   I personally would hate having a roommate that is in a relationship and juggling two different people.

As for the new part, I am not sure I can explain this, but here goes.  Regarding Eva and needing closure with Brett, I get it.  I am married now and still part of wants a relationship with my first love.  I have NO desire to have a romantic/physical relationship with him, but part of me wants him to see/know that he didn't break me, he didn't ruin my life and that I am doing just fine without him even though he hurt me really bad.  I think for Eva, even though Brett and her had a weird kind of relationship, it still meant something to her.  She was in a difficult phase of her life, but she always cared, maybe even loved Brett and he hurt her.   Maybe for Eva the closure she needs could only come when she was with her true love, because that gave her the backbone and proof to know that what she and Brett had was real and true at the time, but it will never be what she and Gideon have.  Also maybe she needs to see Brett, be around him and allow herself to feel what she feels and prove to herself that her love for Gideon is so much more than superficial or appearance, that it is real and strong and that being around other attractive men means nothing anymore because she has the real thing now.

PHEW...I think I got it all out. 

As I am re-listening (I have read and listened multiple times to the 3 books) to EWY, I am finding myself (for the 1st time) frustrated with Cary.  I know that Cary and Eva have a relationship like no other, but I can't help but be frustrated with his lack of support with Eva regarding Gideon ESPECIALLY when you consider how inconsiderate Cary is by having both Trey and Tatiana (ICK) around, often times on the same day.  Eva has yet to really trash talk either T or T and has put up with Cary's BS of juggling the both T and T.  Eva has even gone as far as to try to help him see the pros and cons of both of them and help Trey to understand Cary.  I  feel like maybe for the small things Cary isn't such a great friend as often as he should be.   I personally would hate having a roommate that is in a relationship and juggling two different people.

I'm with you about Cary. The first time I read the first 3 books I actually did not like him. I thought he was selfish and kind of uses Eva. After I re-read the series he grew on me but part of me still seems him as inconsiderate to Eva with T&T and Gideon. 

I'm in love with the first 3 chapters. Getting inside Gideons head only made me love him more. As for Eva, not so much.

I get the Brett thing. I've been dating my boyfriend for over 4 years and about 2 years ago my ex from high school texted me and I remember the thrill of thinking he could actually want me or he is thinking about me. It's nice to get that validation or sense of being "good enough" when I felt used and pushed aside by him. I think Eva is handling it wrong but I get what she's thinking.

I'm with you about Cary. The first time I read the first 3 books I actually did not like him. I thought he was selfish and kind of uses Eva. After I re-read the series he grew on me but part of me still seems him as inconsiderate to Eva with T&T and Gideon. 

I'm in love with the first 3 chapters. Getting inside Gideons head only made me love him more. As for Eva, not so much.

I get the Brett thing. I've been dating my boyfriend for over 4 years and about 2 years ago my ex from high school texted me and I remember the thrill of thinking he could actually want me or he is thinking about me. It's nice to get that validation or sense of being "good enough" when I felt used and pushed aside by him. I think Eva is handling it wrong but I get what she's thinking.

Totally agree with you xoxo ...I totally get what Eva is thinking and feeling too and if anything it should be a great boost to her self esteem to know how Brett was really feeling back then but I think she is handling it wrong too. She needs to take a bit of her own advice with Gideon and wean Brett off just like she wants Gideon to do with Corinne and Deanna..

I am so excited to be in here and to have "new" things to discuss.  There are a few things that I want to comment one, but I will stick to just two.  One old and one new.

As for the new part, I am not sure I can explain this, but here goes.  Regarding Eva and needing closure with Brett, I get it.  I am married now and still part of wants a relationship with my first love.  I have NO desire to have a romantic/physical relationship with him, but part of me wants him to see/know that he didn't break me, he didn't ruin my life and that I am doing just fine without him even though he hurt me really bad.  I think for Eva, even though Brett and her had a weird kind of relationship, it still meant something to her.  She was in a difficult phase of her life, but she always cared, maybe even loved Brett and he hurt her.   Maybe for Eva the closure she needs could only come when she was with her true love, because that gave her the backbone and proof to know that what she and Brett had was real and true at the time, but it will never be what she and Gideon have.  Also maybe she needs to see Brett, be around him and allow herself to feel what she feels and prove to herself that her love for Gideon is so much more than superficial or appearance, that it is real and strong and that being around other attractive men means nothing anymore because she has the real thing now.

PHEW...I think I got it all out.

Well said Fayeth. Those are all valid reasons for Eva to want to settle things with Brett but I hope she does it quickly and also tells him about the marriage like Gideon wants. For some reason I see her chickening out about this and Gideon will be pi$$ed..I love when Gideon says in his head that he loves her just the way she is and doesn't need to fix her cracks...I just cant wait till Tuesday when we can dissect it further!!

Someone on Facebook had posted there were rumours going around, from people who had read the first three chapters, that Eva was going to cheat on Gideon. The person posting was well and truly 'riled' up and she and her friends were going to boycott all the books, also being rude about there now being 5 instead of 3 books. The post has been removed as other posters were having a go at the opener, but Sylvia posted:

"Rumours are absurd. Wild speculation is a waste of everyone's time. It's not a spoiler to say that I don't write cheating heroes or heroines."

I for one am pleased we are getting 5 books, there's a heck of a lot still to learn about Gideon and why he is how he is. Sylvia's interviews for Penguin indicated she found it very difficult to write CBY plus that sometimes authors 'revisit and revise'. Whether that meant CBY I don't know, I seem to recall she also said she would probably not write in Gideon's POV as there was too much going on in his head - she obviously changed her mind about that as in the long run it must be easier to write his story from his POV. We also need to understand more fully his feelings for Eva rather than just the thoughts she has - in some instances her assumptions about what was happening with him were wrong (e.g. when she phoned Gideon in Reflected telling him goodbye, she wondered if he was with Corinne because he did not respond to her and try and convince her to bear with him and wait).

Not long now until we get the whole story and can share more solid views on how the storyline is panning out.

There have also been a few Facebook comments that the next book will be out in February, one person saying a question had been asked and that month confirmed, but today someone asked if the publication date was also given in CBY with the name of the new book - as the answer was no I doubt the February date is correct. In an answer on Good Reads she had said something about due to distribution, printing etc. six months was a possibility.

Gideon said Anne looks just like her brother in the picture Raul took of her.

lighthouse.. Gideon did comment that anne looked like her brother.. hence not being able to get a chubby

Excellent point. I re-read the section and can now see where it might mean Anne physically resembles her brother the rapist. That makes this even darker. Didn't Gideon once tell Eva something about how every time he'd been with Anne he couldn't feel clean no matter how long he showered? I wonder if he suffered his nightmares practically every night throughout the affair. Maybe he believed he was getting back at her husband but really was getting back at her brother and didn't even understand that was the real reason he was having sex with her. Poor Gideon so messed up by what happened to him. 

Someone on Facebook had posted there were rumours going around, from people who had read the first three chapters, that Eva was going to cheat on Gideon. The person posting was well and truly 'riled' up and she and her friends were going to boycott all the books, also being rude about there now being 5 instead of 3 books. The post has been removed as other posters were having a go at the opener, but Sylvia posted:

"Rumours are absurd. Wild speculation is a waste of everyone's time. It's not a spoiler to say that I don't write cheating heroes or heroines."

I for one am pleased we are getting 5 books, there's a heck of a lot still to learn about Gideon and why he is how he is. Sylvia's interviews for Penguin indicated she found it very difficult to write CBY plus that sometimes authors 'revisit and revise'. Whether that meant CBY I don't know, I seem to recall she also said she would probably not write in Gideon's POV as there was too much going on in his head - she obviously changed her mind about that as in the long run it must be easier to write his story from his POV. We also need to understand more fully his feelings for Eva rather than just the thoughts she has - in some instances her assumptions about what was happening with him were wrong (e.g. when she phoned Gideon in Reflected telling him goodbye, she wondered if he was with Corinne because he did not respond to her and try and convince her to bear with him and wait).

Not long now until we get the whole story and can share more solid views on how the storyline is panning out.

There have also been a few Facebook comments that the next book will be out in February, one person saying a question had been asked and that month confirmed, but today someone asked if the publication date was also given in CBY with the name of the new book - as the answer was no I doubt the February date is correct. In an answer on Good Reads she had said something about due to distribution, printing etc. six months was a possibility.

I hope no one thought that yesterday when I posted here defending Arnoldo as being afraid Eva would cheat on Gideon. Eva would never cheat and Arnoldo's prejudiced because he got cheated on by that Bianca who left him for another man. Arnoldo cares enough about his friend to be honest and that's why I like him, especially because he promised Gideon he was only going to bring up the matter of Brett once.

Someone on Facebook had posted there were rumours going around, from people who had read the first three chapters, that Eva was going to cheat on Gideon. The person posting was well and truly 'riled' up and she and her friends were going to boycott all the books, also being rude about there now being 5 instead of 3 books. The post has been removed as other posters were having a go at the opener, but Sylvia posted:"Rumours are absurd. Wild speculation is a waste of everyone's time. It's not a spoiler to say that I don't write cheating heroes or heroines."I for one am pleased we are getting 5 books, there's a heck of a lot still to learn about Gideon and why he is how he is. Sylvia's interviews for Penguin indicated she found it very difficult to write CBY plus that sometimes authors 'revisit and revise'. Whether that meant CBY I don't know, I seem to recall she also said she would probably not write in Gideon's POV as there was too much going on in his head - she obviously changed her mind about that as in the long run it must be easier to write his story from his POV. We also need to understand more fully his feelings for Eva rather than just the thoughts she has - in some instances her assumptions about what was happening with him were wrong (e.g. when she phoned Gideon in Reflected telling him goodbye, she wondered if he was with Corinne because he did not respond to her and try and convince her to bear with him and wait).Not long now until we get the whole story and can share more solid views on how the storyline is panning out.There have also been a few Facebook comments that the next book will be out in February, one person saying a question had been asked and that month confirmed, but today someone asked if the publication date was also given in CBY with the name of the new book - as the answer was no I doubt the February date is correct. In an answer on Good Reads she had said something about due to distribution, printing etc. six months was a possibility.

First let me say that Eva would NEVER cheat on Gideon and I don't need Sylvia to tell me that. Gideva were too connected in EWY despite all the turmoil around them . And that being said, if Eva wanted to hit the sheets with Brett she could have done so easily when Gideon cut her off after their weekend in the Outer Banks and would have been perfectly justified since Gideon was publicly seeing Corinne. At this point the only thing that can derail Gideva is Gideon himself. If he continues to close himself off as he did in the excerpt Eva is not going to stand for it. If they need to take a break as Gideon so bravely mentioned ; I believe it will be due to this. And as for Sylvia revisiting and revising...I hope she revisits writing a Book 6 . I love Gideva; and I never want their story to end. :) :)

Excellent point. I re-read the section and can now see where it might mean Anne physically resembles her brother the rapist. That makes this even darker. Didn't Gideon once tell Eva something about how every time he'd been with Anne he couldn't feel clean no matter how long he showered? I wonder if he suffered his nightmares practically every night throughout the affair. Maybe he believed he was getting back at her husband but really was getting back at her brother and didn't even understand that was the real reason he was having sex with her. Poor Gideon so messed up by what happened to him.

Yes I totally agree with you about the showering...How awful for Gideon... No wonder he holds on to Eva for dear life; Im sure it does really seem like he's falling off a cliff... :(. :(

lets remember most of the facebook complainers read them once and have no clue what they are talking about..

Eva wouldn't cheat,and syl has enough to write about the Gideon SL that she doesn't need to go that route.

we have mum and cary the cheaters thats enough.

and yes it brings the showering to get clean enough more into the light, sad.

Its been known we were getting a 5th book..I for am thrilled. and if I remember syl said something like the 5th follow soon after.

They've both got their hands full with their new mothers-in-law, don't they? ;-)

Gideon and his mother are really going to be interesting.  Since she said she had warned Gideon before about Eva, that probably explains her behavior toward Eva when she came to the hospital regarding Corinne.  I had wondered why the about face after the warm reception at the garden party.

One of the saddest quotes from Gideon's POV was sometimes not being able to look at himself because he looked so much like his mother and he could not stand to looking at her :sad02:  

I hope no one thought that yesterday when I posted here defending Arnoldo as being afraid Eva would cheat on Gideon. Eva would never cheat and Arnoldo's prejudiced because he got cheated on by that Bianca who left him for another man. Arnoldo cares enough about his friend to be honest and that's why I like him, especially because he promised Gideon he was only going to bring up the matter of Brett once.

I don't think Arnoldo's prejudice comes from the fact that he was cheated on. It comes from the fact that he witnessed Eva making out with Brett and watching Gideon lose his tightly reigned in control and pummeling Brett in public.

Of course his own situation may have impact but he has no idea what Eva and Gideon mean to each other. All he saw was Eva making out passionately with another man and Gideon losing his cool about it (which is out of his character).

I do like Arnaoldo if I remove the knowledge I have of Gideon and Eva's intimate moments.

So I was trying to resist temptation but finally caved and read the first 3 chapters now I really can't wait until Tuesday!!! Anyway the first thing that struck me was when Gideon said that he looked so much like his mother sometimes it was difficult to look in the mirror...

Now we have all speculated many times about Gideons many women before Eva and their commonalities. As we know everyone assumed that he was trying to replace Corinne although many have speculated it was his Mother they resembled... My thoughts having read this chapter is that in trying to find a women to love who resembled his mother (& therefore himself) he was trying to find a way to get over his self-hate and love himself subconsciously.

Thoughts??

I almost had the book, it was on the shelf in Waterstones, I took it to the counter and the assistant recognised it and was embarrassed to tell me she couldn't sell it to me and she must have missed that copy. Slightly disappointed but actually glad I didn't get it early as I want to be able to discuss on here once I have read it and obviously would not have been able to do so if I had the book now.

I had a couple of other thoughts, not fully fledged thoughts though, just things that came to mind as I was re-reading part of chapter 1 of CBY.

1. This one's not really a great thought - Gideon seems reluctant to actually talk to anyone other than Eva about his past, possibly didn't even want to open up to Dr Peterson. He trusts Eva with the details but at the back of his mind in with the worry of losing her, must be the idea that if he lost her she takes his secrets with her. With the Brett problem hanging around he will be more reluctant to open up further to her?

2. Is there more to his feeling that 'I Love You' does not say what he feels about Eva - has he been made to say those words to someone in the past (the abuser?) so that, to him, those words are meaningless in the context of his relationship with Eva?

Eva said in her mind how much distain Gideon had in his voice when said lucas whole family are shrinks. So I can where he wouldn't trust any of them, he also said in her mind how much does he love me that he will go. He had to say something in order to  get the meds and know the story he told her.

He explained why he doesn't use the words I love you. he told her,thats why he says crossfire

Hi goodbook

I did see about his using the word crossfire, but also wondered if there could be more behind him thinking I Love You was not enough to get his feelings over. For most people those three words are sufficient, he's happy to accept their meaning when Eva says it and we know she definitely does love him.

We do have a heck of a lot to learn about him still.

Random thoughts ....  

Loved Gideon POV ! certainly see him in a diff light, alot more insecure than expected.  

POd at Eva for using the word 'confused' to decribe her thoughts on Brett :(  she knew it would set G off - and his Corrine threat just self-defense.

Still think Brett knows about the tape and is hoping this will break with G & E, Big surprise when he finds out they are married.   I hope E talks to Dr T before she sees Brett, so he can 'screw 'her head on right

I think it is interesting to hear E described as 'wild child'.  I think she was earlier when she was acting out her issues, but now she is more secure and being loved and loving has settled her

Gideon's distraction at the Outer Banks didn't end when they returned but no one knows that it was probably Nathan that distracted him from business dealing and more Eva.

Wondering about the timing of G's affair with Anne ??  was it after he knew it was her brother that abused him !   I think his issues with her could well have been cause by him really not interested - just revenge,  Since mentioned Anne and her brother looked similar I don't think her could have ever 'gotten it up' based on his revulsion.  

Any way can't wait til Tuesday !!  I know it will be a wild ride :)     

Random thoughts ....  

Loved Gideon POV ! certainly see him in a diff light, alot more insecure than expected.  

POd at Eva for using the word 'confused' to decribe her thoughts on Brett :(  she knew it would set G off - and his Corrine threat just self-defense.

Still think Brett knows about the tape and is hoping this will break with G & E, Big surprise when he finds out they are married.   I hope E talks to Dr T before she sees Brett, so he can 'screw 'her head on right

I think it is interesting to hear E described as 'wild child'.  I think she was earlier when she was acting out her issues, but now she is more secure and being loved and loving has settled her

Gideon's distraction at the Outer Banks didn't end when they returned but no one knows that it was probably Nathan that distracted him from business dealing and more Eva.

Wondering about the timing of G's affair with Anne ??  was it after he knew it was her brother that abused him !   I think his issues with her could well have been cause by him really not interested - just revenge,  Since mentioned Anne and her brother looked similar I don't think her could have ever 'gotten it up' based on his revulsion.  

Hi fsu mom totally agree with all of your points...Tuesday cant come soon enough!!

Random thoughts ....  

Timing on the Anne Affair ... in chapter 1 Gideon thinks "It has been a while since I'd crossed paths with Anne" Another clue is the long hair. If he at first it was possible she could have grown her short hair out then my guess is its been at several years since he dumped her.

My theory is he went after her in his early 20s or maybe mid 20s at the latest. I can't see him cheating on Corrine so it must have been after the engagement ended. Once he got enough money to be powerful he took revenge on Hugh by threatening to ruin him and at the same time got revenge on Terry Lucas by sleeping with his wife and making sure he found out. I wonder if Hugh knew before he died Gideon had his sister.

Makes me wonder how long ago was his one-night stand with Deanna. Was that years ago too? Anne was chasing him at a society function and Deanna happened to be there and so Gideon picked her up to send a message. Wow think about it. Corrine and Anne carrying torches for years and Deanna carrying a grudge for years and they all come out of the woodwork this summer because Eva came into the picture. Scares me to think what happens next but can't wait to find out. Come on Tuesday!