* * CAPTIVATED BY YOU ++ SPOILER ++ CHAT * *

Kirsten

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well ......  that was intense for sure.  I had lots of errands yesterday so read in short periods of time until the evening.  Read until the battery on the Nook died - a little after 1am.  Right in the middle of the big Chap19.  So turned out the light - for 5 min LOL when I went and got my phone and finished about 2:30 :)  

I say 'WELL DONE'  Ms Day !!! and same to all of us Master Guessers :)  We were 'right on' with several ideas and pretty close of others !!!  I loved seeing in print.  

Corrine's book - I remember someone throwing that out - so I laughed out loud when I read it !

I knew Brett was a scum bag and he came thru for me !  I was disappointed with no details in the San Diego meeting, but rewarded with the New York meeting.  

Think we knew Clancy was the 'guardian angel'

I think several thought G would get the beach house for E - but a big plus the 2nd wedding will be there :)  

Anne is a B*tch - no surprise :)  still a little gray on the timeline with her and Hugh's id and weather she knew 

and of course the biggest surprise (?) of all - Stepdad Chris reaction and woo hoo knocking Dr T out cold

biggest disappointment - not enough Christoper and his part in G trouble and same for Mommy Dearest (what went on between the 2 of them that kept Chris in the dark)  

Saddest of course the big fight and separation BUT

Then the big breakthru with Dr P and telling E in detail about the dreams

I think having most of this book in G POV was so different threw us a little off base.  Seeing him less than the self-confident, alpha male was difficult in places and then to see all the 'behind' the scene things he controlled / impacted just changed the whole dynamic of the couple/    

OK obviously I've had too much coffee this morning so will shut up ...........  excited to see all the comments  LOVE this place !!!

ps ...  just a quick comment to those about the story being 'drawn out' to 5 should avoid Outlander at all cost - 8 books already LOL & I'm only in the mid of #6  

Well ......  that was intense for sure.  I had lots of errands yesterday so read in short periods of time until the evening.  Read until the battery on the Nook died - a little after 1am.  Right in the middle of the big Chap19.  So turned out the light - for 5 min LOL when I went and got my phone and finished about 2:30 :)

I say 'WELL DONE'  Ms Day !!! and same to all of us Master Guessers :)  We were 'right on' with several ideas and pretty close of others !!!  I loved seeing in print.  

Corrine's book - I remember someone throwing that out - so I laughed out loud when I read it !

I knew Brett was a scum bag and he came thru for me !  I was disappointed with no details in the San Diego meeting, but rewarded with the New York meeting.  

Think we knew Clancy was the 'guardian angel'

I think several thought G would get the beach house for E - but a big plus the 2nd wedding will be there :)

Anne is a B*tch - no surprise :)  still a little gray on the timeline with her and Hugh's id and weather she knew 

and of course the biggest surprise (?) of all - Stepdad Chris reaction and woo hoo knocking Dr T out cold

biggest disappointment - not enough Christoper and his part in G trouble and same for Mommy Dearest (what went on between the 2 of them that kept Chris in the dark)  

Saddest of course the big fight and separation BUT

Then the big breakthru with Dr P and telling E in detail about the dreams

I think having most of this book in G POV was so different threw us a little off base.  Seeing him less than the self-confident, alpha male was difficult in places and then to see all the 'behind' the scene things he controlled / impacted just changed the whole dynamic of the couple/    

OK obviously I've had too much coffee this morning so will shut up ...........  excited to see all the comments  LOVE this place !!!

ps ...  just a quick comment to those about the story being 'drawn out' to 5 should avoid Outlander at all cost - 8 books already LOL & I'm only in the mid of #6  

^^^ What you said ^^^ Agree everything but the p.s. I'd gladly read six, seven, eight ... Crossfire books.

I'll have my own list of points when I'm done with my first re-read (and more after my second, seventh, eight ...) But throwing out one here, wow, the roots of Gideon's fetish for brunettes blew me away. Couple that with how he had to struggle to maintain hard-ons with Anne makes me wonder just how kinky he got at times with Corrine in that hotel room the three years she was his first and sole sex partner. God only knows what stuff she could reveal in a tell-all book. Probably would agonize Eva every bit as much as that sex tape bothers him.

^^^ What you said ^^^ Agree everything but the p.s. I'd gladly read six, seven, eight ... Crossfire books.

I'll have my own list of points when I'm done with my first re-read (and more after my second, seventh, eight ...) But throwing out one here, wow, the roots of Gideon's fetish for brunettes blew me away. Couple that with how he had to struggle to maintain hard-ons with Anne makes me wonder just how kinky he got at times with Corrine in that hotel room the three years she was his first and sole sex partner. God only knows what stuff she could reveal in a tell-all book. Probably would agonize Eva every bit as much as that sex tape bothers him.

Yea, how could I forget about the brunette thing - that was an AH HA moment too !   The book will be interesting, didn't take her for one to enjoy 'kinky f**kery' but ???  also will she be honest enougth to tell everyone she was the one to propose marriage ?  

LOL  I DO agree more books would be great - since we only cover weeks ... somewhere someone made a rude comment about there being more than the original 3 - Just telling 'them' not to start Outlander which covers 50 years :) and most books over 1000 pages on top of that ...  

Dear all,  

it has been a while since I had posted my last entry here! It will be nice to discuss these books again with you all. Welcome to all new members here .. 

I´ve just finished CBY for the first time. I will start right away with the rereading. I must say after reading the first chapters last week in the preview I was total not happy .. either with Gideon´s behaviour and nor with Eva´s. But what I did like from the beginning the POV from Gideon. I always enjoy reading a male POV. And these first 3 chapters made me worry a lot and even anxious to read the whole book.

So, for now like fsumom above here are my first thoughts and impressions so far .. 

1. For me it is the most interesting book and my most favorite one together with BTY!

2. I reread my list of things which I wanted to happen and what I thought it might happen from last year I posted here  and I must say a great deal came true

3. What I did like: 

• Megumis reappearance very soon and why her disappearance .. glad that there was not a complicated plot with the Russian Mafia, 
  • That we did learn so much from Gideon, about his daily life, his thoughts, his nightmares
  • That Eva was able to tell her mother the limits of what Monika can have or not have with the upcoming wedding
  • That there was quality time for Gideon and Eva with each other, with others outside their steamy sex encounters
  • The episode Eva and Gideon having sex in the elevator after Gideon´s meeting with his stepdad
  • That sex was important but not so important like in the last books
  • That Gideon took care of Brent Kline ( I hate him .. more later)
  • The Attorney and friend of Gideon, an interesting character
  • That Gideon went to Carlifornia (I so hoped for it)
  • More time with Ireland
  • Gideon singing for Eva (perfect! I knew in the moment he claimed the stage that he would have a great voice and now have EVA all .. business man, a man who can sing and and and)
  • I like that Chris Vidal believed Gideon, that he digged deeper and confronted Dr. Lucas!!
  • That Eva realized that she can´t see Brent anymore or hug him .. at least 

4. What surprised me: 

• That indeed Clancy and his brothers did everything to avoid a more detailed murder investigations. It surprised me because his brother has to surpass a lot of rules in order to make that happened
  • That Clancy is still watching Eva .. I am wondering .. does Stanton know of it or it is because of his order or both... Stantons order and Clancy own personal interest
  • The reappearance of Detective Graves: what is she up to?
  • That fact that Chris Vidal didn´t know about the abuse of Gideon
  • That Chris Vidal left Elisabeth Vidal (I liked it and on the other hand I can´t believe he is finished with her forever)
  • That Corinne already felt so well after her suicide and still is comitting Gideon and releasing a book of her own (then I remembered that in one of the discussions here it was mentioned and I started to laugh out loud!!)
  • That Victor wants to pay for the wedding and did save so much money (great!)
  • That again only little more than two weeks have passed
  • That Brent didn´t tell Eva what he and Gideon met and Gideon´s tries to intimidate him
  • That Brent really thought of using the film material for further videos 

5. Brent Kline: 

I hate him.   I must say .. more and more I am thinking he is similiar in some ways to Nathan. He is pursueing Eva ... he doesn´t care what she wants or not wants.

He isn´t listening at all to her. His girlfriend or better bed groupie which looks a great deal like Eva .. it is as he would stalking EVA. And I am really happy that Gideon went to Carlifornia, too. Even without Eva´s knowledge. Such a stupid thing to go without her husband. I mean .. she could have travelled their with Cary first and then Gideon could have followed a half day later .. doing his businesses and she hers. 

But I am wondering what he is up to now! If he really has stopped the pursueing of EVA .. I really don´t believe it so far. And showing the Video footage to all his band members ... he is not better than Nathan .. I am sorry .. he is at the beginning to become a Nathan .. maybe this is too strong to say it  .. but hey .. even after he learnt Eva is married he doesn´t want to step back. I do think he is dangerous .. 

6. The big fight between Gideon and Eva

Well, it was a such a surprise and at the same time it was not a surprised.  I was not happy about it and I am really wondering why Eva went to her mother!! I thought Gideon would buy the whole ad company of Eva and not only Mark. But now .. I feel .. The distance between them both was very necessary to push Gideon to open up .. Otherwise he wouldn´t have done it so quickly ..

Cary .. well .. he had did the same mistake with Trey like Gideon not telling him soon enough .. ! 

What I am very angry about Eva is ... she still hasn´t realized that her life had changed or would change completely after saying yes to Gideon Cross. How can she work for a company with the risk to work for a competitor of someone to CROSS INDUSTRIES. She is now a part of it .. ALL. And as a familiy all your strength should be thrown together in one pool and to benefit from it .. 

With Brent she could stay more or less single and independant .. but with Gideon .. as Gideon´s wife .. that is not possible. I do think Eva has a problem with money .. with too much money !

And I must say .. with all respect to all independant womans and her rights .. I like it very much that Gideon deals with all these nasty things about Brent without EVA´s knowing. I do think a good relationsship shares a lot but also has the trust that the other person can deals like he think because he or she knows it will have good reasons. 

At least: 

I have the feeling there is the need for book 5 and book 6 .. How will Sylvia close all the unfinished business in only just one book  .. ??  The dating between Eva and Gideon til living together, the nightmares of Gideon, Monika and Victor, Eva´s employment, the wedding, the Anne Lucas business, the abuse theme and all the relations inside the VIDAL family, the Corinne business, the Cary business .. moving in with Eva and Gideon, the baby issues and so on .. ONE BOOK IS NOT ENOUGH!!!!

SME

That is it for now .. ;)

sme

Great comments !  I too am a Brett hater :)  from the beginning  

I agree all the loose ends in one book - hope its 500 pages LOL  

I thought perhaps it was the day Gideon's father killed himself.

I'm re-reading sme, but have to really agree with your assessment of Eva. How on earth does she not realize her life has to change? Marriage changes everyone's lives, but marrying one of the 25 wealthiest men in the world; surely that brings a ton of change to the 'average' girls life. I think her naivety is what really bothered me here.

I, too, like Gideon's friend/employee Arash. He is a hoot and doesn't take any bull**it from him. I really enjoyed the party with friends and booze at the karoke place....who knew both Eva and Gideon could sing?! I really liked the reaction when Eva said what don't you own in NY and Arash replied not that hotel( wherever it was.) Eva was so happy and Arash commented "it all makes sense now" He knows some personal things about Eva and of course the marriage and he still likes her!! Liked also when in SD Gideon called him in the middle of the night to confirm to Eva that he was in fact "working".

About the birthday....surely Eva would have known when it was since she updated his bio, but guess it is too much to put into a book, but I would think that Ireland would have mentioned it to him when she called in chapt 3, it had to do with the engagement announcement on page six. anyways

Yes, I am on book #3 of the Outlander series.....STARZ still a good job with the first part of the book, interested on how they will handle the part where Capt Jack does very bad things to Jaime. But the books are good, but very long!!

About the birthday, Sylvia said on the video that Gideon is a virgo (23 August – 23 September), and a passage from chapter 19 of CBY reads: "We agreed that he would begin in October, giving Waters Field  Leaman nearly a month's notice." From that, I understand the book ends in the beginning of September. Therefore, Gideon's birthday could be during book 5. If it had been during CBY, I think somebody would have mentioned it.

Hello Ladies! Nice to see new and old members  again! I've just finished...my kindle died at chapter 19 at 2am...so had to wait til morning to finish.

I'm going to give it a re-read and maybe to some highlighting...but I do want to say 'yay'! to some things we had figured out:

-Clancy  :)  Love  him now! I'm so glad that done and over w/ .

-Brett....ugh...not a fan. I was hoping he didn't know, but really, how could he not of. I do like that Gideon went to CA and then dealt w/ him again in NY. I had no problem w that. Eva was a fool w/ him...really? His picture tagged to his number in your phone? Do you really need a picture of your ex f-buddy? You're MARRIED!? But, it seems he got the point, and maybe realized that they were not going to happen again.. I agree she def gave mixed signals, and has changed since they were last together.

-Chris Snr. Love him too! He was devastated for Gideon! How sad...I honestly believed him that he didn't know.  I'm glad he took care of Dr. Lucas , Elizabeth better come to her senses now and try to fix this. She's a mess!

- Ireland is great! I'm so glad she seems like a sweet girl who wants to connect w/ her big brother. I like how he didn't mention why her parents were fighting, but reassured her that they'd work it out. I don't know if Chris will really leave her....anyone think he will? I mean, his son could have been violated too...not sure if he was in therapy also.

- Corrine....ugh! Seriously!?!? Please tell me; when did she write this book? When? She's so quick to try and win Gideon back after her suicide attempt and miscarriage? That's just disgusting. Where's her husband? He must be reeling...he lost a child. I would've liked Gideon to ask her that when they met at Arnoldos...

-Anne....makes me sick. She's just sickening...

- Deanna....maybe she really will just go away...hoping so.

-Cary...he was just wishy-washy...Idk...I felt like he added nothing. Is he really going to move Tatiana into Gideon's apartment? I wouldn't like that at all. Nope..He should offer rent then or something.

Who else? Who else?

-Monica....she was ok. I don't see the big deal in only having to plan the reception....that's the biggest part of the wedding-the party. I love that Victor is going to actually take care of the wedding itself. I don't know if I like that's its going to be in NC. I feel like they are going to have people there they really don't want, in their private place. I know Eva said small, but they have to have their immediate family come...so Elizabeth and Chris Jr. will be there im sure...and hopefully they don't create bad memories.

Eva annoyed me this entire book. Sorry, she did. She was acting very immature and bratty. Does she not realize who she's married to? I understand her need to make her own decisions, but Gideon really was  just looking out for her. All of these people are out to get them...

I agree that Gideon should have told her about Mark, but she just went off the handle. She could still work w/ Mark, he's why she loves her job so much.

Ok, I said a lot and I was going to come back...LOl...Still fresh .

Love Gideon, I feel bad for him really. Eva could've made a few situations easier for him...but that's why he loves her, right?

I'll be back to discuss! :)

I'll try to keep this short (hopefully we have a chapter discussion thread once everybody has gotten a chance to read the book)

My heart broke for Gideon so many times in this book!

Scenes where I really teared up with him:

• The encounter with CV Sr at the penthouse
  • His nightmares (especially the one on the beach with Eva)
  • When he finally broke down and told Dr. Peterson about his rape

Gideon is the most complex and well written character that I've ever read in a romance novel. 

The not so good :(

While the book was VERY well written and great what I didn't like was how I ended up feeling about Eva.

I had a gut feeling after reading those initial three chapters, that reading things from Gideon's perspective would change how I felt about her and not in a good way.

I understand her need to be "in the know" about things that concern her but what bothered me specifically was her reaction to not knowing.

She comes of as a bit spoiled and seems like she gets upset for the sake of picking a fight. (I'm not sure I explained that properly)

Example:

• She got mad about not knowing about Gideon and Elizabeth's conversation. Stark raving mad. I understood her feeling of being left out. Trust me I do! What I didn't like, is HOW mad she got about it. It felt a bit excessive to be steaming PO'ed at Gideon for not telling her about him dismissing his mother as soon as it happened.
  • While I understood her feelings in their final argument and I was actually on her side, I was not impressed with her naivete when it came to Gideon's explanation of Landon trying to get to him through her. Gideon was wrong wrong wrong for not having a discussion with her beforehand about Landon and the campaign, and his thoughts about offering Mark a job but how could she think it was "ridiculous" for a man who felt wrong by Gideon's father to want revenge against Gideon through whatever means?  Even after his explanation of LanCorp and their in-house advertising and marketing team, she ONLY saw the light when Will made the SAME observation (query?)
  • What I thought she would be annoyed with but wasn't, was him being in San Fran without telling her. Knowing Eva, I though she would have been a tad peeved that he was in San Fran and not mention before hand that he intended to be in town or even told her after the fact that he was actually in town. She seems to "like" getting annoyed/upset at him and maybe she was just tipsy and ###### and missing him, but I was really surprised that she didn't light into him about being in San Fran without telling her.

What I loved!

• GIDEON, GIDEON, GIDEON!
  • Gideon & Arash
  • Gideon & Victor
  • Gideon and Eva's friends
  • Gideon opening up to Eva
  • Gideon opening up in therapy
  • Gideon OPENING UP period!

Note: My opinions may change after a second read but this is how I feel immediately after my first reading.

About the birthday, Sylvia said on the video that Gideon is a virgo (23 August – 23 September), and a passage from chapter 19 of CBY reads: "We agreed that he would begin in October, giving Waters Field  Leaman nearly a month's notice." From that, I understand the book ends in the beginning of September. Therefore, Gideon's birthday could be during book 5. If it had been during CBY, I think somebody would have mentioned it.

Could Gideon's birthday been sometime during those awful weeks of zero contact when he had to make Eva believe they were forever finished? Most of the story happens in the summer and they got back together just a few weeks before CBY. So if we're in early Sept. now then the really dark weeks around Nathan's death were in August. 

Eva annoyed me this entire book. Sorry, she did. She was acting very immature and bratty. Does she not realize who she's married to? I understand her need to make her own decisions, but Gideon really was  just looking out for her. All of these people are out to get them...

I agree that Gideon should have told her about Mark, but she just went off the handle. She could still work w/ Mark, he's why she loves her job so much.

Ok, I said a lot and I was going to come back...LOl...Still fresh .

Love Gideon, I feel bad for him really. Eva could've made a few situations easier for him...but that's why he loves her, right?

I'll be back to discuss! :)

OMG I was in such a rush to write down my scattered thoughts before I forgot them (just got out of the longest meeting ever and all I could think about was CBY).

I haven't read all the responses yet but I'm glad to see that I wasn't being biased.

I agree with everything you've said especially with the feelings about Eva.

I'll try to keep this short (hopefully we have a chapter discussion thread once everybody has gotten a chance to read the book)

Gideon is the most complex and well written character that I've ever read in a romance novel.

While the book was VERY well written and great what I didn't like was how I ended up feeling about Eva.

I had a gut feeling after reading those initial three chapters, that reading things from Gideon's perspective would change how I felt about her and not in a good way.

I understand her need to be "in the know" about things that concern her but what bothered me specifically was her reaction to not knowing.

She comes of as a bit spoiled and seems like she gets upset for the sake of picking a fight. (I'm not sure I explained that properly)

Example:

• She got mad about not knowing about Gideon and Elizabeth's conversation. Stark raving mad. I understood her feeling of being left out. Trust me I do! What I didn't like, is HOW mad she got about it. It felt a bit excessive to be steaming PO'ed at Gideon for not telling her about him dismissing his mother as soon as it happened.
  • While I understood her feelings in their final argument and I was actually on her side, I was not impressed with her naivete when it came to Gideon's explanation of Landon trying to get to him through her. Gideon was wrong wrong wrong for not having a discussion with her beforehand about Landon and the campaign, and his thoughts about offering Mark a job but how could she think it was "ridiculous" for a man who felt wrong by Gideon's father to want revenge against Gideon through whatever means? Even after his explanation of LanCorp and their in-house advertising and marketing team, she ONLY saw the light when Will made the SAME observation (query?)
  • What I thought she would be annoyed with but wasn't, was him being in San Fran without telling her. Knowing Eva, I though she would have been a tad peeved that he was in San Fran and not mention before hand that he intended to be in town or even told her after the fact that he was actually in town. She seems to "like" getting annoyed/upset at him and maybe she was just tipsy and ###### and missing him, but I was really surprised that she didn't light into him about being in San Fran without telling her.
What I loved!
  • Gideon & Arash
  • Gideon & Victor
Note: My opinions may change after a second read but this is how I feel immediately after my first reading.

Do we know what age Gideons abuse started? I finished reading it but I think I read it too fast. .I don't think it was mention but maybe I missed it? I'll be rereading just thought I ask. Lol

In RIY page 319, Christopher was five, Gideon was 5-6 YOA when his dad died, so about 10-11 yrs old. Gideon was really acting out and Christopher was starting to copy him. This is a young age, and in CBY it supposedly lasted about a year....wonder how it stopped and what Gideon did afterwards.?

It's not so much that I was Team Brett, as that I kind of felt bad for him and felt that he was jerked around by Eva. After all, he realized he had cared for Eva, before he knew anything about where she was now or who she was with. Golden was certainly a sign of his feelings. And when he ran into her again he got mixed messages to say the least. And being somewhat of an alpha type, I'm sure getting pushed around by Gideon only made him more set on getting her back. After all, practically everyone around Brett and Eva was aware of some kind of chemistry and unresolved feeling between them.

Unfortunately, he was not able to take no for an answer and his persona in the story goes downhill fast - fooling around with the Eva wannabe, getting involved with exploitation of that tape, and then accepting money for it from Gideon. Too bad, though. He was a sympathetically drawn character who morphed into a real pri*k in this volume.

Totally agree with everything you said here!! I was very disappointed in Brett's behaviour. Not that I wanted him to continue to cause problems between Gideon & Eva but because I've been defending his character so vehemently until now - I feel let down by a fictional character lol

It's not so much that I was Team Brett, as that I kind of felt bad for him and felt that he was jerked around by Eva. After all, he realized he had cared for Eva, before he knew anything about where she was now or who she was with. Golden was certainly a sign of his feelings. And when he ran into her again he got mixed messages to say the least. And being somewhat of an alpha type, I'm sure getting pushed around by Gideon only made him more set on getting her back. After all, practically everyone around Brett and Eva was aware of some kind of chemistry and unresolved feeling between them.

Unfortunately, he was not able to take no for an answer and his persona in the story goes downhill fast - fooling around with the Eva wannabe, getting involved with exploitation of that tape, and then accepting money for it from Gideon. Too bad, though. He was a sympathetically drawn character who morphed into a real pri*k in this volume.

Don't think Brett took any money from Gideon. I remember reading that he tore up the contract, so that should have negated the taking of any money.

speaking of money....don't think Corrine has actually written the book yet, but got an advance to write one. Gideon tried to buy out the advance so that she wouldn't write it, but she said she had to do it....?? what a loser, she should go back to France to work things out with her husband!

I also want to mention that I found it very odd that Elizabeth cancelled lunch.

Am I wrong thinking they made the plan to have lunch before Chris left her. I'm still re-reading but this was my assumption on my speed read. That she cancelled because Chris had left and she may not know that Gideon and Eva are aware that he has left. It's probably something she would want to hide until she was certain it was permanent.

Dear Kirsten, 

I am wondering also .. why??? I had an idea .. but I did forget .. well maybe I might remember when I am there with my current rereading of the book.

What I did find also very strange .. first she quarreled with her son about Eva and then when Gideon and Eva brought Ireland back .. she was charmant and wanted mend everything .. ? Why the turnaround?

sme

They dropped Ireland off after Chris confronted her.  She must have changed her tune???

Example:

• While I understood her feelings in their final argument and I was actually on her side, I was not impressed with her naivete when it came to Gideon's explanation of Landon trying to get to him through her. Gideon was wrong wrong wrong for not having a discussion with her beforehand about Landon and the campaign, and his thoughts about offering Mark a job but how could she think it was "ridiculous" for a man who felt wrong by Gideon's father to want revenge against Gideon through whatever means? Even after his explanation of LanCorp and their in-house advertising and marketing team, she ONLY saw the light when Will made the SAME observation (query?)
What I loved!
  • Gideon & Arash
  • Gideon & Victor

Agree with all your points about Eva. I'm not sure if it was because we also got Gideons POV in this book because she annoyed me even when we were in her POV at times, but she really irritated me in the first few chapters & again toward the end!

Will comment more after my re-read and have had a chance to gather my thoughts

I'm working on my list of What I like and What I don't get but quickly

I love the conversation with Eva and Gideon in Chapter 4 about Brett and Eva remembers:

I remembered what he said to me that he’d live with me loving another man just so long as he had me.  He loved me so much more than he loved himself.  That whole conversation broke my heart..

Then Victor comes out and lets Eva know he heard the conversation and tells her he realizes that "Love you" isn't enough.  That really broke my heart.