* * CAPTIVATED BY YOU ++ SPOILER ++ CHAT * *

Kirsten

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still don't understand ....if Mark G. leaves why does Eva lose her job? Couldn't she be the assistant to the new Jr. Accounts Manager? Someone has to take his place and I don't see a problem with Eva being that person's assistant....

Yes Im not sure I quite understand that either...but I think a short term solution that would work for everyone would be that Mark stay at Waters, Field, and Leaman and Eva can switch out with Will for the Landon campaign only...That being said I love Gideon but he really did f-up spectacularly as Eva said ... There is so much unnecessary angst here. All Gideon had to do was tell Eva about the family feud and ask her to take a back seat on that campaign for her protection and his piece of mind... It's just so sad.

if Mark G. leaves why does Eva lose her job?...

I'm with you both on that!

I think they won't let her go for several reasons,

*they know she has done an excellent job, and they will need a replacement for Mark (and he has been bragging about her)

*she is engaged, and soon offficially married, to one of the most powerful men in the world, and therefore a very positive association. They are depended of any positive relation.

*letting go of Eva they are taking a risk of not getting further business deals with Cross Industries, and I think they are not willing to take that risk. Since Cross Industries has such a huge network, they might be afraid of the ripple effects if C. Industries are cutting them off.

This is a great opportunity for Mark, so I think that he should work for Cross. I know G wanted Eva to go along with Mark, but G also want the best of the best employees.

I thought Eva was Mark's assistant. With no Mark there's no one for her to work with.

Usually the person leaving is replaced and would inherit the co-workers so it did seem odd that Eva immediately said she would lose her job. I think we maybe had to suspend reality for this as there needed to be a reason why Eva would leave Gideon in order for him to break and finally tell Dr Peterson all the reasons for his nightmares (well, all except for Nathan). Although I felt Eva was a little childish to leave Gideon for this particular reason, of all the things for her to run away because of, it is the one that is easiest to resolve for the story line to continue and for Gideon to realise that although he wants to control Eva there has to be some compromise on both sides.

I thought Eva was Mark's assistant. With no Mark there's no one for her to work with.

Just because a boss leaves or changes jobs, it doesn't mean everyone who works for him/her get let go.  They could certainly keep Eva, but she likes working for Mark.  Also, she realizes she can not work on the LanCorp RFP/campaign, so she will have to let management know that.  Ann Cathrin makes some good points as to why the ad agency would want to keep her, just move her to another Acct manager (Jr or otherwise). 

I think Eva is starting to see that being married to Gideon is going to color her world in certain ways.  Working for the ad agency may not be best fit for her, especially if Gideon's competitors are going to come at her/him that way.  She is mentally fighting the inevitable and trying to justify in her mind that this isn't the case.  That certainly adds to why she is so mad at Gideon, at least in my mind.  I don't agree with her moving in with her mom and totally shutting out Gideon, but I can see where this is a catalyst for her and hits very close to her triggers. Her 'choice' is being negated, but she will have to realize that some of that was her 'choice' to marry Gideon.  This is just a fall out from that decision.

Just because a boss leaves or changes jobs, it doesn't mean everyone who works for him/her get let go.  They could certainly keep Eva, but she likes working for Mark.  Also, she realizes she can not work on the LanCorp RFP/campaign, so she will have to let management know that.  Ann Cathrin makes some good points as to why the ad agency would want to keep her, just move her to another Acct manager (Jr or otherwise). 

I think Eva is starting to see that being married to Gideon is going to color her world in certain ways.  Working for the ad agency may not be best fit for her, especially if Gideon's competitors are going to come at her/him that way.  She is mentally fighting the inevitable and trying to justify in her mind that this isn't the case.  That certainly adds to why she is so mad at Gideon, at least in my mind.  I don't agree with her moving in with her mom and totally shutting out Gideon, but I can see where this is a catalyst for her and hits very close to her triggers. Her 'choice' is being negated, but she will have to realize that some of that was her 'choice' to marry Gideon.  This is just a fall out from that decision.

Totally agree avid reader... Well said... Even though I strongly disagree with the way Gideon handled the situation as per his usual mo of not talking to Eva first ; Eva fleeing to her mother's over protective arms is almost laughable!! Even Gideon has a hard time believing it; but that just further increases his distress because he thinks that if Eva would rather be around her mother than her dark and dangerous sex god; things certainly must be pretty bad. I think the next book will open with their joint appointment at Dr. Peterson's. Hopefully he will be able to offer them some unbiased insight and then I hope they go out for a very private, romantic dinner ; perhaps somewhere off the beaten path like Rossi's lol and work their way back to each other. :). :)

Usually the person leaving is replaced and would inherit the co-workers so it did seem odd that Eva immediately said she would lose her job. I think we maybe had to suspend reality for this as there needed to be a reason why Eva would leave Gideon in order for him to break and finally tell Dr Peterson all the reasons for his nightmares (well, all except for Nathan). Although I felt Eva was a little childish to leave Gideon for this particular reason, of all the things for her to run away because of, it is the one that is easiest to resolve for the story line to continue and for Gideon to realise that although he wants to control Eva there has to be some compromise on both sides.

I honestly think Gideon wants to protect Eva not control her. The Lancorp account spelled disaster in every way for Eva. Down the road if their product was a bust they could say that Eva leaked information to her husband etc such as corporate espionage. They could have destroyed her reputation in an attempt to hurt Gideon and they certainly would have achieved that because Gideon would never want to negatively impact Eva's career.

As I am re-listening to the book, a few questions came to me today and I wanted to bring them up.

-Why was Brett back in NY when he and Eva met at Bryant park?  Was it because of the re-shooting that needed to be done.  Eva realized that the band was on tour and in order for Brett to be in NY it had to be band related.

-Since Ann Lucas was not on the guest list the night of the party when she approached Eva, it was presummed that she was someone's plus one.  Do you think that there is any way that she would have been Elizabeth Vidal's guest that night?

-Why is Ann so mad at Gideon?  When he goes to her office to confront her, she just seems downright spiteful and full of hatred.  It can't be because of their relationship, because she didn't lose anything (namely her Husband) from it.  So what is her deal?

As I am re-listening to the book, a few questions came to me today and I wanted to bring them up.

-Why was Brett back in NY when he and Eva met at Bryant park?  Was it because of the re-shooting that needed to be done.  Eva realized that the band was on tour and in order for Brett to be in NY it had to be band related.

-Since Ann Lucas was not on the guest list the night of the party when she approached Eva, it was presummed that she was someone's plus one.  Do you think that there is any way that she would have been Elizabeth Vidal's guest that night?

-Why is Ann so mad at Gideon?  When he goes to her office to confront her, she just seems downright spiteful and full of hatred.  It can't be because of their relationship, because she didn't lose anything (namely her Husband) from it.  So what is her deal?

they are all good questions: Brett was meeting Eva to ask her about letting them (the band) and him to use some of the sex video to promote the song Golden. Of course she freaked out and couldn't believe that Brett would want to do something like that. Our Gideon was watching and came to her rescue!!!

I doubt seriously that Anne was Elizabeth's plus one, Elizabeth does have a husband, and unless Anne was her therapist while pregnant with Ireland, I don't think they know each other.

Why are all the women in Gideon's past so p**sed off with him?? Deanna is out for blood, Corrine is not too happy with him, and why Anne should hold a grudge after all these years, who knows. Unless she thought that Gideon really cared for her, remember she was getting ready to leave her husband for him and G said no way!!!

Hi MicheleWV

D500 answered you in another thread , so I just copyed the answer for you.

I have something bothering me and don't have time this moment to go back and see if it was addressed here.  Help me out please.  Angus asks Eva if Chris believed Gideon.  Angus knew?  I thought only Eva figured out he was abused.

Posted Yesterday, 09:47 PM

MicheleWV, on 01 Jan 2015 - 9:03 PM, said:

Question because as many times as I've read the books... Angus asked Eva if Chris believed Gideon. He knew all along?

Gideon always thought Chris Snr knew that Gideon had been abused as Gideon had overheard a conversation between his mother and Chris at dinner when Gideon lived at home. But as it turns out from the scenes in CBY, Chris did not know about Gideon's abuse so whatever Gideon overheard was not about himself. Angus must know about the abuse and probably had something to do with helping Gideon escape from it, hopefully we learn more about this in the last book.

For Gideon it cannot have been easy to realise that he turned to the wrong parent to rescue him from the abuse. Most children would turn to their mothers, and as Chris is Gideon's step-father it would probably never have occurred to Gideon to approach Chris about what was happening to him, after all you expect your natural parent to listen to you and believe you - for Gideon this was all made worse because those who were asked to check him out chose to lie and say there was no evidence of abuse - there must have been. It also probably did not help Gideon that he had anger problems, and still has. In CBY after he had seen Eva arrive to meet Brett (in San Diego, prior to the hotel room scene) his thoughts are "I was still tense and aggravated, spoiling for a fight."

I never rushed out to buy the  book when  it hit the book shelf  but  did get it for Christmas.   It took me a  week to read.  (A sign that it never  gripped me as previous books had, as I read those  overnight).

I loved  having both POW.  But  found the  story line mundane.  The  swing scene  was even out of place.  I  couldn't  really figure  out  the story line in the book  other than "Chris"  didn't know and  Gideon found out it was Clancy involved in the bracelet.

The  rest  was  just  normal  daily life  for  Gideon and Eva over  a  couple of  weeks.

Not sure  to me maybe the long  wait for this  chapter in Eva &  Gideon life was way too long  and not that exciting.  I have read some amazing books in between.   "This  Man"  being one.

I  look forward to book 5 and  hope the wait isn't as long.

Meanwhile I will read this again  and listen to the audio. Hoping it appears to me more.

I never rushed out to buy the  book when  it hit the book shelf  but  did get it for Christmas.   It took me a  week to read.  (A sign that it never  gripped me as previous books had, as I read those  overnight).

I loved  having both POW.  But  found the  story line mundane.  The  swing scene  was even out of place.  I  couldn't  really figure  out  the story line in the book  other than "Chris"  didn't know and  Gideon found out it was Clancy involved in the bracelet.

The  rest  was  just  normal  daily life  for  Gideon and Eva over  a  couple of  weeks.

Not sure  to me maybe the long  wait for this  chapter in Eva &  Gideon life was way too long  and not that exciting.  I have read some amazing books in between.   "This  Man"  being one.

I  look forward to book 5 and  hope the wait isn't as long.

Meanwhile I will read this again  and listen to the audio. Hoping it appears to me more.

Hi Mrs. X

I feel compelled to respond to your post.

While I'll admit that I was a little disappointed with this book because I expected some more questions answered, we did find out more than you suggested.

We know why Gideon uses brunettes as sex objects.

We learn more about Corinne's crazy obsession for Gideon. 

We know Gideon isn't a loner but has real friends.

We know Angus is more familiar with Gideon's past than his family.

I don't know how anyone can read the elevator scene and not feel Gideon's pain and inner turmoil.  His love and need for Eva and his battle to suppress his thoughts and anger over his abuse mess with his head.  My heart ached for him.

There is a lot of Gideon & Eva's day to day life but, even though we are reading these books over a couple years, the actual time frame is several months. We have to see how Gideon and Eva are dealing with their daily life to understand their triggers.  (I am disappointed that Eva ran again...not only ran but stayed away so long...for me that is not who I thought Eva was but it is who Sylvia created.)

I liked the swing scene.  I felt their love for each other during this scene. 

The entire series has so far covered just 10 weeks in the lives of Gideon and Eva, not very long to really get to know each other even if they were 'normal' people. Captivated By You is just two weeks of their time and unless the final book is a massive volume, it's not going to cover many more days/weeks of their lives. In chapter 2 of CBY, when chatting to Christine Field about whether Gideon approached the firm for the Kingsman campaign because Eva worked there, Eva's thoughts are that she had been "with Waters Field & Leamon longer than I'd been with Gideon, when I had been employed there only a couple of months."

As to what else happened in this book, Anne also revealed what some of Gideon's sexual practices had been (possibly only with her and down to the resemblance to Hugh), Gideon begins to become close to Ireland. After a second reading and some dipping into parts of the book, although Eva does seem annoying with how she handles Gideon, and her reason for running does seem trivial, but something had to break Gideon to get him to open up. It may be that Sylvia wanted to get that over and done with before book 5 and Eva leaving him forcing his arm could not be for a serious reason otherwise she might not come back to him, so to do it for a trivial reason but shake him up was probably the right way to achieve that end???

- - - - -

I dipped into reviews on Amazon, iTunes (UK) and Good Reads reading some from each of the star ratings. Some feel CBY is too short, some too long (Sylvia said on Facebook that the book has more words in it than the others). There's too much se x, or there's not enough - the se x is every other page (not in my copy it isn't) - the se x scenes are well written, they are badly written.

Some feel nothing whatsoever happened in the book or the book doesn't add anything to the story and need not have been written (quite a lot of comments along those lines). It's the same story line as the previous book (well it is part of the same story so there will be similarities).

Some found it difficult to work out which character's POV was in each chapter - even if you didn't work out they were doing alternate chapters, the clues were there in the first few lines. Some didn't like reading from Gideon's POV - not sure how the series could have progressed without his POV, understanding his mind and what his past included, not just the abuse but why Deanna, Anne and Corrine are how they are about him, needed to be put over (and there may be more to reveal).

Reviewers felt Gideon became whiney and/or weak in this book - beneath that steady alpha exterior he's probably always been a little weak - he lost his dad at an early age which caused anger issues (could that just be because his father left him, or was there more to it - did Gideon see his father's body - is he angry that his mother reinvented herself so quickly with her re-marriage to Vidal?) Looks like G was comfortable with his step father, but something happened to cause a rift between Gideon and his half-brother and then there's the abuse and how his mother acted and who knows what else has alienated Gideon from his mother.

A huge amount of the one star reviews were down to two reasons - the delay in publication and the fact the original trilogy became five books. My paperbacks and e-books - including an e-book of Bared to You with the female on the cover, all say the books are part of the Crossfire 'series' but I understand people in the States do have copies stating trilogy and I think the description on Amazon for one of the books mentions trilogy. Whatever the truth is, would one really rate a book one star just because it's one book more than originally expected from an author? Some of the one star reviews are from people who state they have not even read the book because of either the delay or the 5 books.

As with any book, there will be likers and dislikers, and those who have read in depth and those who skim through the book and miss some of the more subtle parts - I've certainly found this site helpful to make me understand the whole series, after discovering here it took me a long time to read through all the posts about the previous books, and the insights from various members plus guidance on some of the technicalities to do with abuse victims, US law and jobs etc.

- - - -

In business Gideon is used to being in charge, making the right decisions, his company has thrived and he is a billionaire. On the personal side he seems to have good relations with his male friends, gets on well with Maggie, probably had a reasonably good relationship at one time with Corrine, but his relationship with family is not great. His 'girlfriends' have virtually all been one night stands which may or may not have ended up at the f* pad, and he presumably had little problem with getting those females to understand it was a one night only scenario. He handled his family by leaving home, becoming independent and seemingly not needing them (although deep down inside I think he does need his mum but she is going to have to make a heck of a change and apology for things to come right).

And then he encounters Eva, who happily says no to him, and who is attracted to the person and not the money and what goes with that. We see how Gideon inter-acts with Arash and Eva can be a little like that - even though we know Eva was initially attracted to his looks and definitely wanted to bed him just for that, she made it clear she was not just an easy lay

Entwined with You and Captivated By You are both pretty much fillers between the story begun in the first two books, taking things forward for Gideon and Eva to reach book 5 where (fingers crossed) they will be a strongly united couple and will conquer their enemies. We may not even get to their official wedding unless Monica can pull her finger out and resolve everything so it can take place within maybe four weeks (assuming that could be the time period of the next book).

As with Sharonm745 I was disappointed Eva ran, where she ran to (knowing he would not follow her there), and how long it took her to even talk to him. He's the love of her life, she's well and truly over Brett and wants to be with Gideon, who has given up so much for her (he will never be fully over nightmares due to the Nathan scenario, she is going to have to be the therapist for that). My own feelings at the end of the book were that I was glad that Eva agreed to go to dinner with him, but it felt like that huge physical 'spark' they shared had gone and Sylvia is going to have to write a heck of a good first chapter getting them back together to regain the spark.

"The entire series has so far covered just 10 weeks in the lives of Gideon and Eva, not very long to really get to know each other even if they were 'normal' people..."

Yes we forget this. I LOVE that we are getting the literal day-by-day account of this romance. I don't want to fill-in the spaces with my mind that runs wild. I wrote a review of this book loving that it answered so many questions that we had. The sex scenes are imperative to the story. These are two sexual people that are struggling in being a real couple.

I was disappointed that Eva ran AGAIN but then thought about it and changed my mind. She can't think straight around him and they end up rolling in bed. She had the perfect place and excuse in that her family wouldn't think anything of singles Eva and Cary diving into wedding plans. Clancy wouldn't be suspicious either. I think I did the same thing when I was mad at my fiancé and didn't want people interfering and giving me unwanted advice at the time. I left my apartment and hung out with my parents because I always gave into my now husband. BUT let's hope Eva knocks it off in the next book. She's married. It kills us because we know what it's doing to Gideon and because she promised.

If Sylvia reads this, I want you to know I loved the ending of this book. It shows that they need to back up and DATE.

I  am  going to read the  book again  but never captivated me as  the other  3  books  had. But some points  posted her are  good so  I will take those into account  when reading again.

In my mind  I see the book  on par with the daily  life of a  soap  show.  And  isn't that is what Sylvia is  doing with the series?

The  time between the books  publication and  the actual  time of the story line is too far in between.IMO

As  said   I rated this  one of my favourites,  but  after reading "This Man"  that is  my favourite.

I loved  Burn series.  For  a short  story  we  found out a lot  regarding  the characters.   Love  Jax.   I look forward to the next one and hope it isn't  a  year  before it is released.

Haven't posted in a while, but have a few comments.

Welcome to new people first. Love different opinions.

I stopped reading reviews. To give a book 1 star cause we waited long is silly. Some authors write faster than others. I wasn't happy we waited so long, but that doesn't mean the book is bad. This is a good book. My only complaint was Eva running at the end for a reason I didn't think was worthy of her running. She had moved past that stuff I thought.

Mrs. X--I adored the This Man series. Love it. Jesse is too much. Have you read the new series? Very good. Not as good as TM but very good.

I will read This Man while waiting for 5.  I'm in Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg's reading club to discuss books on his reading wish list. ZzZzZzZz Economics is the subject of the first.  My degrees are in business and Accounting so I'll play along, but I need me some Gideon to get by.  lol