* * CAPTIVATED BY YOU ++ SPOILER ++ CHAT * *

Kirsten

I don't think Eva's conflicted feelings have anything to do with romantic feelings for Brett. I think she meant to tell Gideon that her friendship with Brett would be harder to cut off then she once thought. Also, she could be thinking "I know I'm gonna flirt with him, better tell Gideon before he jumps to conclusions." Flirting can be done without any motive to go further physically.

On Eva not telling her mother about the engagement, I think she did it on purpose as a way to get back at her for Monica tracking her whereabouts. Eva might be taking having a life separate from her mother to an extreme. And if she knew Gideon was going to confirm speculation that day, she would have told her right away instead of waiting a couple days.

We also have to keep in mind that Eva is only 24 and this relationship is became really intense really fast. Even if someone is more mature in many ways compared to other their age, 24 is still really really young. If she is having conflicting feelings, I don't blame her. She knows she would never leave Gideon and their marriage is a safe place, so her conflicting feelings of flirting with Brett or still staying friends might not seem like a danger to her. Corrine does not just was friendship from Gideon, so there is more of a threat there.

One last thing, we don't know Brett's feelings on the sex tape. He was probably just as clueless as Eva so we can't assume she should be mad at him about it.

I agree with the reminder that Eva is only 24 and a damaged, low self-esteem 24 at that.  I do, however, believe Eva is conflicted and confused about her feelings for Brett.  I have always found her reactions to him based on her stated feelings for Gideon to be difficult to understand.  I was especially bothered by the fact that Eva texted Brett the Tuesday after she married Gideon just to say hi with a smiley face.  Unlike Gideon, at this moment I hope Eva's belief that Dr. Travis can/will help is well placed.

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sylvia had me captured with the shower scene.  I love the POV style especially Gideon's.  Someone mentioned above in this form, we readers tend to be interested in the lead male perspective.

Based on the teasers that have been posted, I fear the timeframe for this book may only be a long weekend.  While the time maybe short, the emotions played out by the characters will likely be intense.

I am sure there will be plenty to discuss but I do hope Penguin has mercy and does not make us wait too long for the final book.

I agree with the reminder that Eva is only 24 and a damaged, low self-esteem 24 at that.  I do, however, believe Eva is conflicted and confused about her feelings for Brett.  I have always found her reactions to him based on her stated feelings for Gideon to be difficult to understand.  I was especially bothered by the fact that Eva texted Brett the Tuesday after she married Gideon just to say hi with a smiley face.  Unlike Gideon, at this moment I hope Eva's belief that Dr. Travis can/will help is well placed.

Exactly! For the life of me, I CANNOT fathom how she could possibly be conflicted about her feelings for Brett when she feels the way she feels about Gideon. I could understand if her past relationship with Brett was less superficial than it actually was but it wasn't. I am also more sympathetic with Gideon in this situation. Knowing how Gideon takes to being loved by Eva or anybody else in general, how exactly is he supposed to process her proclaiming her undying love for him and being conflicted about her feelings for another man.

How is he supposed to process that especially what happened after the concert, before, at and after the video launch event? He was petty in bringing up Corrine but he's never lied to and misled Eva about what she [Corrine] means/meant to him ever since the ex-fiance bomb was dropped.

I feel like she was being very flighty and inconsiderate with that whole exchange.

I don't think Eva's conflicted feelings have anything to do with romantic feelings for Brett. I think she meant to tell Gideon that her friendship with Brett would be harder to cut off then she once thought. Also, she could be thinking "I know I'm gonna flirt with him, better tell Gideon before he jumps to conclusions." Flirting can be done without any motive to go further physically.

I don't think this is a good excuse or thought for Eva to be having either. How would she feel if Gideon PLANNED to flirt with Corrine? WHY would she flirt or want to flirt with Brett knowing that it would hurt G's feelings or that if the situations were reversed, her feelings would be hurt?

Like I said, reading it from G's perspective makes her the bad guy in my book. Maybe if I knew definitively what turmoil she was facing on the inside I'd get it (unlikely).

Ladies,

I have to disagree with some of your thoughts about Eva. From all we’ve seen on the first 3 books, Eva always says what she’s thinking, even when it’s hard for her. Remember the email she sent Gideon in RIY when she thought he was distancing himself? That was a powerful one. She loves Gideon madly, crazily, and constantly reassures him of that. And she tells him everything that happens to her or she’s thinking, like her feelings, her dreams, the stuff that happened in her job that day, that she was going out with her friends, that she was going to see Brett, that her parents were in love and had hook up, etc.

On the other side, Gideon doesn’t talk to her much. He doesn’t tell her how his day was, he doesn’t talk about his emotions, he doesn’t talk much about this nightmares, he doesn’t talk about his friends, about his mother. Eva has to ask, almost beg, and even so, he doesn’t offer much information. Remember when he saw Magdalene on the street outside a restaurant, in BTY, and Eva had to find out through gossip sites? When Gideon went to Corrine’s home and Eva had to find out through Christopher? (Imagine if this had been the other way around?)When Gideon talked to Deanna then embarked on a plane to San Diego to solve the sex tape problem and Eva only found out much later? He may think these things don’t matter, and he’s trying to protect her, but the truth is it could’ve all been solved with a single text message. Before she learns the truth, she suffers a lot, and we, reading from her POV (previous books) feel that. We know how he’s crazy about her, but he also closes her off, and she reacts badly to that.

I do believe this is going to be one of the crucial points of CBY: Gideon learning to tell Eva stuff, to lean on her, from the big to the small things. They can’t only talk about the deep stuff, they have to share the superficial too.

That being said, as I mentioned yesterday, from the previous books, I hadn’t thought that Eva’s feelings for Brett were anything more than simple l*u*s*t, and, therefore, easy to be ignored when he wasn’t in front of her. I didn’t think – and still don’t think – there are any real feelings there. But, apparently, she needs closure. And Gideon also needs to close Corrine, because that woman is not going to stop. Both of them (Eva and Brett, Gideon and Corrine) should have serious conversations about how those relationships hurt their main relationship (Eva and Gideon), so they can’t even be friends.

I feel like many times we, readers, mostly women, tend to like the male character, even with his flaws (maybe because of their flaws?), and to disregard the females characters. We want her to be perfect, but in the best books, she has flaws, because that’s how people are. I believe Eva is a bright light in the world of female characters in books (and in media, broadly speaking) because she is positive, focused, but she also has learnt how to deal with her problems, isn’t afraid to talk about them, and to look for a solution. 

Edit: Wow. Reading that now, it's a big text.

This is a really great post! Eva is a great communicator and hopefully while she is in SD we can see from her POV exactly what her feelings towards Brett are. Whether its , friendship or curiosity in the man he has tuned out to be. I want the Brett situation to be cleared up ASAP and why Gideon had bruises in that one snippet to be answered. 

Gideon my have not lied to Eva, but in my book ..NOT saying anything is lying. Honestly Eva doesn't know what Gideon feels because he is ever telling her.

I can understand to a point that eva in her mind needs closer from Brett, after all this is someone she wanted to fall in love with ..she even said after all this time he wants what she wanted.. He never did anything wrong. other then want someone elses girl,and he doesn't know at this time she is married.. and in Gideons POV he even said he gave the ring said the vows to keep her away from brett to a point. and Im not saying he didn't want to marry he did,but this is why it was rushed,we all know it.

as far as the bruises. we all know Gideon kicked the crap out of Brett in cally

he already planned on going before he cought up with the guys. 

I agree with the long hair wig thing. and yes she had to know who cary is its all over the news.  I loved that the little tid bit about Anne really haven to work at getting him aroused

,it just shows he wasn't into her

anyone else think that Landons son is the one dating Ireland? that wont end well

It could be possible that the boy Ireland is dating is Ryan Landon's son. Her boyfriend is named Rick and Im sure that Ryan is not as young as Gideon LOL 28 year old billionaires are rare. Ryan may be in his early to mid forties and certainly young enough to tangle with Gideon for many years to come.

Ladies,

I have to disagree with some of your thoughts about Eva. From all we’ve seen on the first 3 books, Eva always says what she’s thinking, even when it’s hard for her. Remember the email she sent Gideon in RIY when she thought he was distancing himself? That was a powerful one. She loves Gideon madly, crazily, and constantly reassures him of that. And she tells him everything that happens to her or she’s thinking, like her feelings, her dreams, the stuff that happened in her job that day, that she was going out with her friends, that she was going to see Brett, that her parents were in love and had hook up, etc.

On the other side, Gideon doesn’t talk to her much. He doesn’t tell her how his day was, he doesn’t talk about his emotions, he doesn’t talk much about this nightmares, he doesn’t talk about his friends, about his mother. Eva has to ask, almost beg, and even so, he doesn’t offer much information. Remember when he saw Magdalene on the street outside a restaurant, in BTY, and Eva had to find out through gossip sites? When Gideon went to Corrine’s home and Eva had to find out through Christopher? (Imagine if this had been the other way around?)When Gideon talked to Deanna then embarked on a plane to San Diego to solve the sex tape problem and Eva only found out much later? He may think these things don’t matter, and he’s trying to protect her, but the truth is it could’ve all been solved with a single text message. Before she learns the truth, she suffers a lot, and we, reading from her POV (previous books) feel that. We know how he’s crazy about her, but he also closes her off, and she reacts badly to that.

I do believe this is going to be one of the crucial points of CBY: Gideon learning to tell Eva stuff, to lean on her, from the big to the small things. They can’t only talk about the deep stuff, they have to share the superficial too.

That being said, as I mentioned yesterday, from the previous books, I hadn’t thought that Eva’s feelings for Brett were anything more than simple l*u*s*t, and, therefore, easy to be ignored when he wasn’t in front of her. I didn’t think – and still don’t think – there are any real feelings there. But, apparently, she needs closure. And Gideon also needs to close Corrine, because that woman is not going to stop. Both of them (Eva and Brett, Gideon and Corrine) should have serious conversations about how those relationships hurt their main relationship (Eva and Gideon), so they can’t even be friends.

I feel like many times we, readers, mostly women, tend to like the male character, even with his flaws (maybe because of their flaws?), and to disregard the females characters. We want her to be perfect, but in the best books, she has flaws, because that’s how people are. I believe Eva is a bright light in the world of female characters in books (and in media, broadly speaking) because she is positive, focused, but she also has learnt how to deal with her problems, isn’t afraid to talk about them, and to look for a solution. 

Edit: Wow. Reading that now, it's a big text.

I  totally agree with you  :)

he already planned on going before he cought up with the guys. 

I agree with the long hair wig thing. and yes she had to know who cary is its all over the news.  I loved that the little tid bit about Anne really haven to work at getting him aroused

,it just shows he wasn't into her

anyone else think that Landons son is the one dating Ireland? that wont end well

Its kinda creepy Anne had to work him when you think about who her brother was but it might explain why Gideon couldn't instantly perform with her. I wonder if there's any family resemblance. That would be really dark. I love having Gideon's point of view but I think it's going to be a scary ride inside him.

Even though many of us are unhappy with Eva and her confused state and as always we are disappointed in gideon's lack of communication; that fact is that Gideva were totally connected in EWY. I loved the moments in the apartment when they were just a new couple having a quite dinner together and watching TV. The first three chapters are only one day and I can't wait for it to be over!! I hope Gideva get back to communicating and loving each other in the chapters to come. :). :)

It could be possible that the boy Ireland is dating is Ryan Landon's son. Her boyfriend is named Rick and Im sure that Ryan is not as young as Gideon LOL 28 year old billionaires are rare. Ryan may be in his early to mid forties and certainly young enough to tangle with Gideon for many years to come.

Or Rick could be Ryan Landon's younger brother. Ireland and Rick in love and their older brothers at each others throats.

Its kinda creepy Anne had to work him when you think about who her brother was but it might explain why Gideon couldn't instantly perform with her. I wonder if there's any family resemblance. That would be really dark. I love having Gideon's point of view but I think it's going to be a scary ride inside him.

So true Lighthouse; it will be dark. :(. :(

Rick's grandparents lost their money to Gideon's father's scheme and "his parents think it's 'convenient' that Gideon is so rich now". The only thing is that if this were Ryan Landon's son and Ryan's parents lost their money, Ryan has, like Gideon, become rich and built an empire so would be aware that it is possible for Gideon to have done so without there being anything convenient behind the wealth.

I still love both G and E, that said, I have stated before that if Eva wanted to have Brett as a friend she could have reached out during those 4 years..... She should really be upset with the sex video. Brett didn't seem to mind the video with the song, so maybe he does know about the tape. We hopefully will find out soon.

Gideon is not always forthcoming with information for Eva, he only tells/says what he has to to get by. Sometimes he is rather vague Like when talking with Dr. Peterson, and the Dr asked about sexual relations, and Gideon stated 1-2 times a week, and he had previously told Eva that he had as much sex with Eva then in the past year. He spoke of the difference in meanings, but sometimes Gideon doesn't know the meaning of "is" is.

As for the bruises in the exerpt, I reread it and at the top it stated that it came for chapt 14, so we don't who or why he has those bruises. He could have been really physical with his personal trainer.

Also in the first 3 chapters, Gideon wanted to take Eva away for a long time 2-4 weeks. Doubtful Eva could get that much time off from work. She barely takes time off when her Dad is in town.

I was thinking Ryan was the father of Ireland's boyfriend too!

I had the same idea that  Ryan might be the father of Ireland's boyfriend!

Gideon said Anne looks just like her brother in the picture Raul took of her.

I loved Eva comment about Gideon's friends that he is getting together with while she is gone.  Her comment about his group of hot guys who've got a buzz  and want a good time is priceless.

Having conceived of good, interesting characters and putting them in unique situations is only part of a good book.  I love the way Sylvia turns a phrase!

I loved Eva comment about Gideon's friends that he is getting together with while she is gone.  Her comment about his group of hot guys who've got a buzz  and want a good time is priceless.

Having conceived of good, interesting characters and putting them in unique situations is only part of a good book.  I love the way Sylvia turns a phrase!

Yes, it reminded me of the scenario with Afterburn/Aftershock how Jax and Gia met each other, in a bar at a bachelor party looking for a good time.

Strange Gideon can set the agenda with Eva going out with the girls in EWY, but Eva can't question him about him getting together with the guys.

I don't think Brett or anyone in Six-Ninth knows about the sex tape. But I'm kind of surprised that Gideon hasn't insisted that they get rid of Sam Yimara. He wouldn't even need to tell them why. He could just say that the record label has a publicity department and prefer to use their own, more professional, photographers and videographers.

As far as Monica being upset about not knowing about Eva's engagement, I call BS. Eva didn't know about her engagement herself! Late Friday night Gideon proposed and they were married the very next day. Also Gideon had spoken with both Victor and Richard as an old-fashioned gesture; asking for their daughter's/step-daughter's hand in marriage. These aren't the dark ages when you HAD to ask the father for permission to marry an adult woman. It's a courtesy and it indicates that the couple have talked about getting married and they both know things are headed in that direction. Monica knew about the conversation Gideon had with Richard before they headed to the Crosswinds Resort. So she knew about the engagement before Eva did, IMO. After having that nasty run-in with Lizzie at Cipriani's, I can forgive Eva for not getting into it with the other crazy mother in her life. Monica just likes to whine.

Yes, it reminded me of the scenario with Afterburn/Aftershock how Jax and Gia met each other, in a bar at a bachelor party looking for a good time.Strange Gideon can set the agenda with Eva going out with the girls in EWY, but Eva can't question him about him getting together with the guys.

Yes jm hope I thought the same thing when Eva questions him its possessiveness when Gideon does it he 's just being Gideon LOL

I don't think Brett or anyone in Six-Ninth knows about the sex tape. But I'm kind of surprised that Gideon hasn't insisted that they get rid of Sam Yimara. He wouldn't even need to tell them why. He could just say that the record label has a publicity department and prefer to use their own, more professional, photographers and videographers.

As far as Monica being upset about not knowing about Eva's engagement, I call BS. Eva didn't know about her engagement herself! Late Friday night Gideon proposed and they were married the very next day. Also Gideon had spoken with both Victor and Richard as an old-fashioned gesture; asking for their daughter's/step-daughter's hand in marriage. These aren't the dark ages when you HAD to ask the father for permission to marry an adult woman. It's a courtesy and it indicates that the couple have talked about getting married and they both know things are headed in that direction. Monica knew about the conversation Gideon had with Richard before they headed to the Crosswinds Resort. So she knew about the engagement before Eva did, IMO. After having that nasty run-in with Lizzie at Cipriani's, I can forgive Eva for not getting into it with the other crazy mother in her life. Monica just likes to whine.

Someone earlier stated that perhaps Eva was paying back "Mommyca" just a little for her stalking transgressions. I hope she did; Monica deserves it LOL