One with You

Gaia

Gideon's always been terrified about his nightmares from the get-go. Before Eva, he feared anyone finding out about them: thus his refusal to spend entire nights with Corrine, much less share a home with her. Things got even more frightening for Gideon because he attacked Eva in a nightmare. After that, he was never again comfortable falling asleep beside her and quit doing so willingly (he has accidentally fallen asleep beside her.) And he pulled an alll-nighter rather than go to bed the night Ireland stayed over. His larger fears could be he won't make a good parent, because let's admit it, Elizabeth is a poor excuse for a mother. Before Eva, Gideon didn't even know how to be a good boyfriend. The day they first started going out, he reminded Eva he was on a learning curve and was bound to mess up. Parenthood is an even bigger learning curve.

This has got me wondering about Christopher Jr. When he and Gideon had a knock-down-drag-out fight in CBY, Christopher said something about Gideon has always wanted him dead. Has Gideon gotten violent with Christopher in the past, either consciously because of anger issues or unconsciously because Christopher went near him during a nightmare and Gideon lashed out? For example, tried to throttle Christopher? Was this one of the many reasons Gideon moved out of the house as soon as he was able to as a young man and why he kept up a wall between him and his much-younger sister: he's scared he has a violent nature? Being woken up at home during nightmares is how he learned of their existence? And where did he live during college? The more I think about it, it probably was not a dormitory. My guess is he's always lived alone since leaving the Vidal mansion. Also, is he studying mixed martial arts as a way to channel/contain/control his fears, giving them a safe outlet?

There are a number of studies in the medical journals and criminology fields indicating that some (emphasis some) childhood sexual assault victims become abusers as adults and for reasons researchers don't fully understand, the percentages are higher for males. And there are huge amounts of studies on other forms of childhood abuse and neglect contributing to some (some) adults going on to perpetuate the cycle of abuse and neglect. But good people come out of some of the worst families and monsters are sometimes born into loving families, so there are no simple explanations.

• Replies 790
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gideon had worries about having his own children - in the scene where Ireland joined him during the night she stayed over:she says "you'll have kids by then. It won't be as fun"He thinks "I paused, hit by anxiety sharp enough to mist my skin with sweat. The thought of having a baby with Eva both thrilled and terrified me. It wasn't save for my wife to live with me. How could it ever be safe for a child?"Further on after the visit from the apartment planner, when Cary was with Eva and Gideon Cary mentions the possibility of a nursery and Eva immediately responds the room could be a guest room. Because she dodged the idea by changing the subject Gideon thinks "Did Eva have the same fears I did? Maybe she'd taken me as a husband because she couldn't help herself, but drew the line at taking me as a father to her children."Perhaps that could be interpreted as he was worried that, after being abused himself he might abuse his own children although I am more inclined towards the nightmares causing a problem. I have read that some abused children grow up to continue the abuse but have no idea what the scale of that is to those who grow up to have a normal relationship with their own children.But definitely not a paedophile - that is people who are attracted to young children, not sure if that can be learned behaviour or if it is something that is inbuilt into certain human's psyche (I'm basing that thinking on such as gay people do not learn to be bay/become gay because of an event in their lives but have something within themselves which means they are attracted to the same gender).So far as we know Gideon did not go down the road of self-harming but you never know, something could crop up in the last book about that although, unlike the slight bdsm he has seemingly been involved in, there have been no subtle hints in previous books (unless someone recalls something I've forgotten).And I agree with GiGi's last sentences, Gideon had to resolve how to handle his sexual nature as well as deciding that he would shelve any problems by burying them deep in his mind - sadly unable to completely forget them so not the ideal way to sort his life out.

I think it is ridiculous to think Gideon is worried about abusing his own children he was simply referring to the fact that on occasion he has violent nightmares and perhaps he may accidentally hurt his wife or maybe a small child sleeping in the same bed as they often do. Gideon was not sexually abused by his parents. He was abused by a sexual predator not in any way related to him. Gideon thinks he is seriously fuc$$$ up in regards to these nightmares and has self esteem issues regarding being a proper husband to Eva and now a proper father to his future children. Poor Gideon hopefully we will see him blissfully happy in OWY. :). :)

Hi Everyone,

I have read the postings and I just wanted to clarify that the difference between sexual abuse and pedophilia.  I just wanted everyone to be clear that there is absolutely no correlation between having been sexually abused and becoming a pedophile.

To imply that being abused predisposes an individual to becoming a pedophile is not true.  There is no credible or reliable evidence that proves that theory.  I also don't believe that Gideon would have ever travelled down a "dark path" and become a pedophile Corrine or no Corrine.  Many people who have been abused engage in self-harming (i.e. alcohol, drugs, suicide, depression, etc.) as opposed to harming others.

What is at issue here is that Gideon had to reconcile himself with the fact that he was a sexual being who had/has needs and he had to navigate a very scary part of life; sex, in a way that made him feel safe.   I don't know that the type of sex was the key, but the fact that he had to be in control in order for him to remain emotionally safe was key.

Hi Gigi glad you're back. Emotionally safe is definitely the correct term to use in Gideon's situation. At the Six-Ninth's concert when those two gals sandwiched him backstage; Gideon states that he had learned how to deal with sexual predators after Hugh. He turned it around on them from being hunted to dominating. And that was the way he lived his life until Eva. Now he revels in her attention and touch able to feel the love she obviously feels for him. Not just an object for someone's pleasure such as the sexual predator Hugh or the other aggressive women in his past.

Hi Everyone,
I have everyone's comments and posts on the issue of abuse.  I do not believe that Gideon would ever; in any way, shape, or form, abuse his children; physically, sexually or emotionally.  I think that if anything, Gideon would be a hyper vigilant parent.  I could see him as the father who would make sure that security was following his children to school, would have each and every single person who came into contact with said child, vetted, checked and finger printed to within an inch of his/her life.

I could also see him making sure that said child was never alone or left unattended in any way, when he himself or Eva were not with the child.  In an ideal world it may sound caring or romantic, but the reality is (as Eva has discovered all too well), that living in that type of environment would be stifling and extremely limiting to a person facing that type of situation. 

I use Gideon's constant care and concern for Eva's safety, emotional needs, sexual needs, physical needs, etc. as a guide post for how he would conduct himself with his or her children.  I also look to see how Gideon has interacted with his sister Ireland and can clearly see his love and concern for a sibling that in effect he has had very limited contact with in the past. 

I attribute Gideon's nerves about having a child as I would, any other person.  Each and every single person is on the same playing field when having a first child.  He/she has to learn how to best parent their own child.  No one is ever prepared no matter how prepared they may "think" they are.  Having a baby is a huge and awesome responsibility and that kind of responsibility is a huge pressure on any person.

I also question the concept of a "normal" family.  What is a normal family?  Doesn't every family have some sort of quirk or "crazy" (for lack of a better word).  Isn't that the stuff that comedians have made millions of people laugh about?  Quick example:  I have an Aunt who wears her "se*y" pants two sizes too small.  When I asked her why she wears her pants so tight, she says it is because she feels se*y  wearing pants that tight and that wearing said tight pants acts an insurance policy.  Her fat tummy generously overflows over the pants and she has a "built in life preserver" so that when she goes sailing, if she happens to fall overboard, she has fat tummy life preserver will keep her afloat until search, and rescue comes to fish her out of the water.

Typing this out may sound odd, but I say whom ever may be reading this post; sit and listen to her describe her theory, while she lovingly pats her tummy is absolutely hilarious!  Is it "normal" for a woman who just turned sixty this year to have that theory, who can say, but it sure is funny.  :)

I think that Gideon will be the overprotective father and Eva will be the cooler mother.  They will flirty with one another and kiss one another constantly while their kids will be sighing and making comments about how grossed out they are that their mother and father kiss so much...a.k.a. just like every other kid who happens to see their parents kissing..yuck!  :) 

Cute post yesterday on Sylvia's Facebook page, a #bookconfession where she admits "I never win arguments with my characters."

Anyone up for having some fun with this. Some fill in the blanks fun?

Question: Gideon, what were you thinking?! Seriously, what were you thinking when you (fill in the blank here)

Gideon: (fill in his answer here)

For example:

Me: Seriously, what were you thinking when you let Corrine into your office yet again?!

Gideon: Trust me, I know what I'm doing.

Me: Time to remind you what Eva warned you about on the night she first met that nut job. You don't understand that you drive women off the deep end and they think of crazy ways to try to get you. Corrine is stalking you. "Stow the guilt, Gideon, and start weaning her off."

Cute post yesterday on Sylvia's Facebook page, a #bookconfession where she admits "I never win arguments with my characters."

Anyone up for having some fun with this. Some fill in the blanks fun?

Question: Gideon, what were you thinking?! Seriously, what were you thinking when you (fill in the blank here)

Gideon: (fill in his answer here)

For example:

Me: Seriously, what were you thinking when you let Corrine into your office yet again?!

Gideon: Trust me, I know what I'm doing.

Me: Time to remind you what Eva warned you about on the night she first met that nut job. You don't understand that you drive women off the deep end and they think of crazy ways to try to get you. Corrine is stalking you. "Stow the guilt, Gideon, and start weaning her off."

Too bad Gideon didn't take Eva''s advice 2 books ago lol as we can see his weaning process has been most unsuccessful. :(. :(

I think that Gideon will be the overprotective father and Eva will be the cooler mother.  They will flirty with one another and kiss one another constantly while their kids will be sighing and making comments about how grossed out they are that their mother and father kiss so much...a.k.a. just like every other kid who happens to see their parents kissing..yuck!  :)

this reminded me of the scene in EWY on page 95 where Eva is quoting "Kindergarten Cop" when the twins say "our Mom says that

our Dad is a real sex machine".... then later she says "you won't be laughing when your kids tell their teachers

the same things about you." and his reply "Since they'd have to hear it from you, I'd know who it was that really

needed the spanking." and she mulled the idea that he envisioned a future she was afraid to imagine

Gideon and Eva are pitched against Jamie and Claire from the Outlander series in this poll, G/E won the contemporary couples rounds but now end up against the winner of the historical couple.

You can vote once per computer or device (phone/ipad/iPod touch,tablet.

http://www.heroesandheartbreakers.com/blogs/2015/03/the-swoonies-2015-round-5-historical-vs-contemporary

Gideon and Eva are pitched against Jamie and Claire from the Outlander series in this poll, G/E won the contemporary couples rounds but now end up against the winner of the historical couple.

You can vote once per computer or device (phone/ipad/iPod touch,tablet.

http://www.heroesandheartbreakers.com/blogs/2015/03/the-swoonies-2015-round-5-historical-vs-contemporary

yea, I posted that site on another thread a couple of weeks ago..... I had to change my alliegence to Jaime and Claire....in 8 books and

hard times, being separated for 20 years those two have kept each other very happy and Jamie says some of the most romantice things to Claire

But I still love Gideon and Eva....

If anybody hasn't read the Outlander series, it is a GREAT read....8 books with around 900 pages each, but worth it!!

Starz is featuring it in their original series, excellant and it comes back April 4!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Supposedly One With You was written alongside Captivated By You to ensure all threads of the story were tied up. If that were the case surely they were both edited at the same time and ready for publication, with a short gap (as promised) between the two publication dates?

What bothers me is that there were a lot of comments on various sites that some expected the author and publisher to cash in on any success the Fifty Shades movie had and people seemed to expect publication to be at the time of the film release. Hope that didn't put author/publisher off from putting the book out early so as not to be seen cashing in.

If the book is indeed ready then the delay must be with Penguin and they do risk further alienating fans of the series if they leave it too long. Most of us will buy the book and read it, as will some of those who have threatened not to read any more of her books (as we all know curiosity as to what happens will win them over). But there are still those who are absolutely adamant they will not read any further books.

There's also the possibility that our own pages on here have been read and maybe some of our questions weren't answered and more had to be written :) :)

Patience in this case is not easy, once we have a publication date we will doubtless have to wait a couple of months from the announcement until we get the book, then we'll have those who get the book early spoiling the story by leaking parts - with Captivated someone leaked that Eva cheated on Gideon (they obviously wrote as soon as they read the bit where Gideon thought he saw Eva with Brett, pity they didn't wait till they'd finished reading the scene before commenting as a lot of people waiting for the book were upset by that leak).

It would be nice if we got this to read during summer holidays.

Not getting a snippet doesn't bode well for OWY coming out soon.

My biggest concern is that OWY doesn't show up on her Coming Soon page on her website :( At least I now have the Outlander series

on STARZ to entertain me!!! The make-up love scene at the end of the new episode put FSOG to shame. Hopefully whoever

Lionsgate chooses to broadcast the Crossfire series does the books justice as had STARZ network done with

Outlander. Watch Outlander...it is

terrific!!!

My biggest concern is that OWY doesn't show up on her Coming Soon page on her website :( At least I now have the Outlander series

on STARZ to entertain me!!! The make-up love scene at the end of the new episode put FSOG to shame. Hopefully whoever

Lionsgate chooses to broadcast the Crossfire series does the books justice as had STARZ network done with

Outlander. Watch Outlander...it is

terrific!!!

I also noticed it is not on coming soon :(

Yes, unfortunately some of the things we are told turn out not to be the case, promises of not having to wait a long time between books seem to fail but that may well be out of the author's control. Also in one of the you tube videos she does say that she did not have the storyline fully planned out as the characters 'speak to her' and it is their voices we hear and I certainly don't expect any author to just write for the sake of it and thus turn out something that is not up to scratch. I want them to write a good story and, as in the case of the last book of the Crossfire series, to ensure all threads are drawn together to proper closure.

I enjoyed Afterburn and Aftershock but did feel the ending of the story was a little rushed and not as full as it could have been, the second book's publication was delayed and possibly some pressure was put on the author to get it out there whether or not they were happy with the content.

But Sylvia is a fantastic writer (albeit I have only read her contemporary stuff so cannot speak for the paranormal or historical), and hopefully the Blacklist series will be as good as the Crossfire (although how she can beat Gideon as a hero . . . . . . !!)

Patience, as they say, is a virtue, but it's one that is hard to achieve when waiting for the completion of this story.

Some time back Sylvia received this comment on Good Reads and her answer more or less implies it is the publisher holding things up (this was about Captivated by You).

"I've seen a lot of negative comments about the release date of Captivated by You on your Facebook page. Honestly it's horrifying. How do you stay positive? I'd really like to know, because sometimes I've felt like taking a bat at them! I love your books, and I would wait another year for this book to come out (really, I'm serious). So how do you do it?

Sylvia Day I focus on the only thing I have any control over: the quality of the book."

A lot of fans thought the fact there were to be 5 books was a money making exercise, but I do believe that the story grew and as we definitely need Gideon's side and his healing, further books became necessary. But also, if it were purely a money making exercise the books would surely have been rushed out faster than this so as not to lose readers. Of all the series I have read it's this one and Fifty Shades where I clearly remember the characters and most events but a lot of readers will have forgotten (as I have with other series I have read since but probably because I read Crossfire and Fifty first before getting into this genre of writing).

Some time back Sylvia received this comment on Good Reads and her answer more or less implies it is the publisher holding things up (this was about Captivated by You).

"I've seen a lot of negative comments about the release date of Captivated by You on your Facebook page. Honestly it's horrifying. How do you stay positive? I'd really like to know, because sometimes I've felt like taking a bat at them! I love your books, and I would wait another year for this book to come out (really, I'm serious). So how do you do it?

Sylvia Day I focus on the only thing I have any control over: the quality of the book."

A lot of fans thought the fact there were to be 5 books was a money making exercise, but I do believe that the story grew and as we definitely need Gideon's side and his healing, further books became necessary. But also, if it were purely a money making exercise the books would surely have been rushed out faster than this so as not to lose readers. Of all the series I have read it's this one and Fifty Shades where I clearly remember the characters and most events but a lot of readers will have forgotten (as I have with other series I have read since but probably because I read Crossfire and Fifty first before getting into this genre of writing).

THIS!

I think that when book 3 came out, some fans who expected their Happily Ever After to be wrapped up in three books, were unhappy that they needed to wait for two more books for the HEA to come. But when book 4 gave us something entirely new, Gideon's point of view, I think that some fans were delighted and changed their mind about not wanting five books.

I know I was delighted. When Sylvia had announced the series would go to five books, she said this was because Gideon still needed work. Personally, I think she more than delivered on that as an author by taking us inside our hero's mind as he works on his issues.

I wish people would quit bugging Sylvia on social media about the release date for the final book. That power rests solely in Penguin Books' hands. She did her part when she gave the publisher her manuscript.

I follow author Gail McHugh on Facebook, this morning she wrote a lengthy post about her next book and about publishing. She has a publisher for her next book but looks like she's not signed a deal with them for the follow up so she gave an explanation of the process, and within that explanation Sylvia is mentioned:

"Now, if I DO strike a deal with my publisher, the release can be anywhere from late November to February of next year. Sadly (unlike when an author releases a book on their own), it typically takes a publisher six months to get a book out to the public. Six WHOLE months after that author typed "The End" is usually when our readers get their hands on it.

Keep that tad-bit of insider info in mind when you're all up on the likes of Sylvia Day's author page, bugging out on her for her next book. Lol.

Though it sucks, that's just how publishing houses work. We (the authors) have no control over this. None.

The author hands the manuscript over to his/her editor, who then in turn (along with *several* other manuscripts) starts to edit it. Then it's handed back to the author with the editor's revisions, comments, etc. Sometimes we take their suggestions, sometimes we don't. Either way, once we're finished going over their plotline revisions, character development suggestions, so on and so forth, that same manuscript gets turned over to a copyeditor. Wash, rinse, repeat three times over. After that, then comes the whole ARC process in order for (God willing) a favorable quote from that author's peers."